PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert Arenas charged with felony gun possession

Reverend Hoops
01-14-2010, 06:04 PM
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/01/14/arenas.felony.ap/index.html

GOBB
01-14-2010, 06:09 PM
NBA Players Union vs Washington Wizards. 4th of July fireworks could come soon.

Get ya popcorn - T.Owens

oh the horror
01-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Doesnt he still need to be convicted though ?

kkling
01-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Not funny anymore is it, Gil?

OneMoreSucka
01-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Hopefully he gets the maximum.

BMOGEFan
01-14-2010, 06:13 PM

yes. he is merely charged.

doesn't mean he will get convicted.

most likely he will cop a plea without jail time and a BUNCH of community service (means nothing, since the NBA makes them do it anyways).

Alhazred
01-14-2010, 06:14 PM
No sympathy here. He dug his own grave.

D-Rose
01-14-2010, 06:14 PM
So Wiz will now def try to void his $$$

oh the horror
01-14-2010, 06:16 PM
So they can go for the void, after he has been only charged?

rfm767
01-14-2010, 06:20 PM
http://bossip.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/gilbert-gun-e1261835075670.jpg

cotdt

I think the Wizards will void his contract anyway because they don't want to be associated with him. He will be a free agent after 500 hours of community service and proceed to sign with the Lakers for under $1 million.

DukeDelonte13

i'd assume he has to be convicted of a felony, which is likely, although I don't know what degree felony this is. If its a low end, it could reasonably get bumped down to a misdemeanor.

DukeDelonte13
01-14-2010, 06:21 PM
I think the Wizards will void his contract anyway because they don't want to be associated with him. He will be a free agent and sign with the Lakers for under $1 million.

would be a sweet pick up for the lakes.

bagelred
01-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Geez, when did simply the owning of a gun become the worst crime imaginable? Isn't USING a gun the crime?

Yet, if he lived in the country and had guns for hunting, it would be perfectly fine. Or if he simply had a license, then its all good.

Calm down, everyone. No one got hurt. Everything's ok. Take it easy on the guy......

"Throw the book at him....":rolleyes:

oh the horror
01-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Geez, when did simply the owning of a gun become the worst crime imaginable? Isn't USING a gun the crime?

Yet, if he lived in the country and had guns for hunting, it would be perfectly fine. Or if he simply had a license, then its all good.

Calm down, everyone. No one got hurt. Everything's ok. Take it easy on the guy......

Dude are you purposely not getting it, to annoy people?

GOBB
01-14-2010, 06:28 PM

Saw on espn news he will plead guilty and not have to serve time behind bars. And Wash can attempt to void his contract if convicted of a felony. Now would they win such a battle? I dont know. NBA Players union is ready to rumble!

I dont think Spreewell contract was voided after he choked PJ right? Think they tried and lost. It'll be interesting.

KelticForce1349
01-14-2010, 06:29 PM

Uh huh. So let me guess...he could not afford the license to carry the gun legally, right?

Poor Gil, he needed to guns for protection but doesn't make the money to own them legally. I guess that is what happens when you "leave money on the table" when signing a contract.

bagelred
01-14-2010, 06:29 PM

No, I don't get it. You have it ingrained in your head that the simple ownership of a gun is terrible. I think the use of a gun to hurt someone is terrible. The guns weren't even loaded.

Why don't you read up on Switzerland and gun ownership. Everyone owns guns there and the crime rate is extremely low.

Maybe you should question your assumptions.

Jakeh008
01-14-2010, 06:30 PM

I would much rather live next to a r@pist or child molester...

Thats much more safe then a guy that hides his unloaded guns in a locker!!

KelticForce1349
01-14-2010, 06:34 PM
No, I don't get it. You have it ingrained in your head that the simple ownership of a gun is terrible. I think the use of a gun to hurt someone is terrible. The guns weren't even loaded.

Why don't you read up on Switzerland and gun ownership. Everyone owns guns there and the crime rate is extremely low.

Maybe you should question your assumptions.

You must have hit your head getting out of bed this morning. Do you sleep with rocks inside your pillows or something? Owning a gun requires a certain degree of responsibility, a license to own or carry should not be considered too difficult or unreasonable. If you can't do such a simple thing then you have no business having a gun in your hand.

wang4three
01-14-2010, 06:34 PM
I'll never understand the fascination between entertainers and fire arms. Not only that, but the "need" to own lots of them.

rezznor
01-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Saw on espn news he will plead guilty and not have to serve time behind bars. And Wash can attempt to void his contract if convicted of a felony. Now would they win such a battle? I dont know. NBA Players union is ready to rumble!

I dont think Spreewell contract was voided after he choked PJ right? Think they tried and lost. It'll be interesting.
choking PJ isn't a felony

bagelred
01-14-2010, 06:36 PM
You must have hit your head getting out of bed this morning. Do you sleep with rocks inside your pillows or something? Owning a gun requires a certain degree of responsibility, a license to own or carry should not be considered too difficult or unreasonable. If you can't do such a simple thing then you have no business having a gun in your hand.

No, I get it. And Arenas should be punished for not obtaining a proper license. We get that. But you think he should be charged with a felony and go to jail for years for it? I don't.

No one was hurt. No one was threatened. No one was in any danger. The guns weren't loaded. Isn't that what we care about most?

icemanfan
01-14-2010, 06:39 PM

choking PJ is not the same as a felony conviction. The morals clause clearly covers this and the players union can go to hell. The union was designed to protect the innocent from the bully boss not the stupid guilty from being correctly fired.

icemanfan
01-14-2010, 06:42 PM
No, I get it. And Arenas should be punished for not obtaining a proper license. We get that. But you think he should be charged with a felony and go to jail for years for it? I don't.

No one was hurt. No one was threatened. No one was in any danger. The guns weren't loaded. Isn't that what we care about most?
you are either playing stupid and doing a great job of it or you really are stupid. He took the guns to his place of work and set them out in a public place. This is against the law. If you took your guns to the Mc donalds you work at they would call the cops, have you locked up and then fire you. This is NO DIFFERENT.

33teeth
01-14-2010, 06:44 PM
No one was hurt. OK

No one was threatened. How do you know?

No one was in any danger. You sure about that?

The guns weren't loaded. Isn't that what we care about most? Uh. I care that he showed poor judgement and broke the law. And then acted like a fool.

If he'd put a fake bomb in the arena would that be OK with you? No explosives, right? It might be illegal, but nobody would be "hurt."

I think you're being contrarian just for giggles. Go rock back and forth and think of your dream team of Kenyon Martin and Eddy Curry.

PleezeBelieve
01-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Wow, that was pretty mean of them.

I'm sure Arenas agrees.

wang4three
01-14-2010, 06:49 PM
icemanfan for the win.

beasly15
01-14-2010, 06:49 PM
i'm guessing it's not dirty or he would be f*cked right now...

oh the horror
01-14-2010, 06:50 PM
The basic thing about it is that having an unlicensed firearm on you, or your person is illegal. End of story. Gilbert could have obtained a license to carry, but didnt want to. Because hes thug life.

Now, step two of this...is that he brought these weapons to his place of work. That would be fu*k up number two.

These things are not allowed. We can argue WHY it should, or shouldnt be allowed, but this is the way it is.

Laws are in place, just in case someone comes along that actually DOES hurt someone.

bagelred
01-14-2010, 06:52 PM
OK
How do you know?
You sure about that?
Uh. I care that he showed poor judgement and broke the law. And then acted like a fool.

If he'd put a fake bomb in the arena would that be OK with you? No explosives, right? It might be illegal, but nobody would be "hurt."

I think you're being contrarian just for giggles. Go rock back and forth and think of your dream team of Kenyon Martin and Eddy Curry.

Hmmmm.....well, from everything we know about the incident, no one was hurt, no one was threatened with injury, and no one was in danger. Based on the information made public to us right?

He broke the law. OK. He had a gun in his possession without a license. OK. I guess we disagree about the severity of the crime, right?

Putting a fake bomb would cause a panic situation, injury, etc. Clearly, this is highly illegal and more dangerous.

I'm being contrarian because I think the media is overreacting and making him public enemy #1. Society puts it in our head that what Arenas just did was an absolute awful crime. I don't think so. It's against the law and should be punished for not having proper licenses......but the mere possession of a gun isn't the worst crime imaginable.

Why not read up on Switzerland, like I said. People carry guns AROUND with them. It's perfectly legal. And the crime rate is low. Something to think about it.

What GA did was more stupid than anything else. Storing them in your locker in arena? Its just dumb....but his stupidity doesn't mean he should be put in jail for 3 years.....

GOBB
01-14-2010, 06:53 PM
choking PJ is not the same as a felony conviction. The morals clause clearly covers this and the players union can go to hell. The union was designed to protect the innocent from the bully boss not the stupid guilty from being correctly fired.

It does? Didnt know that. I still dont know of a players contract being voided. I guess it will depend on the arbitrator and how they feel about guns.

niko
01-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Wow, that was pretty mean of them.

I'm sure Arenas agrees.

:D

ihatetimthomas
01-14-2010, 06:59 PM

Anytime you are dealing with firearms, you have to take extra pre cautions. I don't care if you think its loaded or not, you don't mess around with guns. What if took out the clips, but forgot to take the bullet out of the chamber? Just because he had no intention of shooting anyone, his carelessness could have killed someone.

Saying "no one was hurt" excuse is BS. Fact is, someone could have been hurt if he was careless and forgot to unload the chamber. You do know there have been many cases where people were fcuking around with a supposedly unloaded gun only to realize it was loaded and they killed someone, right?

I'm not sure if you have ever even fired or handled a gun before. Anyone who has knows the safety precautions you take when handling a gun, and take it very seriously. Making jokes and playing games with them is not what you do. People die because people are careless or joking around.

Kingsfans818
01-14-2010, 07:05 PM
well its also important to note that he didn't have a license to carry the weapon....

niko
01-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Hmmmm.....well, from everything we know about the incident, no one was hurt, no one was threatened with injury, and no one was in danger. Based on the information made public to us right?

He broke the law. OK. He had a gun in his possession without a license. OK. I guess we disagree about the severity of the crime, right?

Putting a fake bomb would cause a panic situation, injury, etc. Clearly, this is highly illegal and more dangerous.

I'm being contrarian because I think the media is overreacting and making him public enemy #1. Society puts it in our head that what Arenas just did was an absolute awful crime. I don't think so. It's against the law and should be punished for not having proper licenses......but the mere possession of a gun isn't the worst crime imaginable.

Why not read up on Switzerland, like I said. People carry guns AROUND with them. It's perfectly legal. And the crime rate is low. Something to think about it.

What GA did was more stupid than anything else. Storing them in your locker in arena? Its just dumb....but his stupidity doesn't mean he should be put in jail for 3 years.....

no, i dont think he should get 3 years but he should be charged with a felony because you and i would be charged with a felony, so arenas should be too. i doubt he gets 3 years.

the punishment often seems harsh for individuals and individual situation - because the purpose is to be a deterent. I have seen in my life guns pulled out for really stupid **** because people were angry and went to get their guns. thats the purpose of the gun laws, to make it difficult for those people to obtain guns, to weed out the irresponsible people as best as you can.

so why i agree 3 years would be harsh he'll probably get allowed to plead down. but im not losing any sleep over him getting punished, this is not a unavoidable crime, its arenas jsut getting punished for what has been a lifetime of him acting like a shmuck.

Kingsfans818
01-14-2010, 07:06 PM
people call him to to jail for 5 years are idiots. How much does that cause the state? do you REALLY think he needs to be rehabilitated for 5 years? I honestly think that he learned his lesson from all this.

bagelred
01-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Anytime you are dealing with firearms, you have to take extra pre cautions. I don't care if you think its loaded or not, you don't mess around with guns. What if took out the clips, but forgot to take the bullet out of the chamber? Just because he had no intention of shooting anyone, his carelessness could have killed someone.

Saying "no one was hurt" excuse is BS. Fact is, someone could have been hurt if he was careless and forgot to unload the chamber. You do know there have been many cases where people were fcuking around with a supposedly unloaded gun only to realize it was loaded and they killed someone, right?

I'm not sure if you have ever even fired or handled a gun before. Anyone who has knows the safety precautions you take when handling a gun, and take it very seriously. Making jokes and playing games with them is not what you do. People die because people are careless or joking around.

Totally agree with everything you just said.

So you think Arenas should go to jail for years for this?

bagelred
01-14-2010, 07:10 PM
no, i dont think he should get 3 years but he should be charged with a felony because you and i would be charged with a felony, so arenas should be too. i doubt he gets 3 years.

the punishment often seems harsh for individuals and individual situation - because the purpose is to be a deterent. I have seen in my life guns pulled out for really stupid **** because people were angry and went to get their guns. thats the purpose of the gun laws, to make it difficult for those people to obtain guns, to weed out the irresponsible people as best as you can.

so why i agree 3 years would be harsh he'll probably get allowed to plead down. but im not losing any sleep over him getting punished, this is not a unavoidable crime, its arenas jsut getting punished for what has been a lifetime of him acting like a shmuck.

So its not the guns itself. Its the people who are irresponsible about guns.

Again, in Switzerland, everyone is allowed to own and even carry guns around with them. Doesn't seem to be a problem. So really its only AMERICANS who can't be trusted with gun ownership. Is that the case? Maybe that's just it then.......

niko
01-14-2010, 07:11 PM
You can tell people don't have guns because they don't see the utter ridiculousness of this situation.

rezznor
01-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Totally agree with everything you just said.

So you think Arenas should go to jail for years for this?
he needs to be punished but jailtime is not necessary.

niko
01-14-2010, 07:12 PM

Again, in Switzerland, everyone is allowed to own and even carry guns around with them. Doesn't seem to be a problem. So really its only AMERICANS who can't be trusted with gun ownership. Is that the case? Maybe that's just it then.......

you have to obey the laws of the jurisdiction you are in. you can't say "in switzerland you can do this" - its irrelevent. that's a theoretical discussion - arenas is not in a theoretical situation.

crisoner
01-14-2010, 07:12 PM

YUP

KelticForce1349
01-14-2010, 07:17 PM

You can't just compare America and Switzerland to make a point. You are mentioning people of two very different cultures and value-systems.

bagelred
01-14-2010, 07:18 PM
you have to obey the laws of the jurisdiction you are in. you can't say "in switzerland you can do this" - its irrelevent. that's a theoretical discussion - arenas is not in a theoretical situation.

Yes I realize its against the law. All I'm saying is punishment should fit the crime. But I think its important to see what other societies do and question our assumptions on how "bad" certain crimes are over others.....I just don't like this reflexive groupthink that "OMG....how COULD he.....THROW THE BOOK AT HIM....PUBLIC OUTCAST....". It's like, ok, CALM DOWN everyone........

niko
01-14-2010, 07:20 PM
No, Gilbert doesn't deserve jailtime IMO. A huge fine, probation and the removal of his ability to be a gun owner seems fair. But i'm not going to lose sleep over him possibly going to jail, he did something stupid and illegal (that he clearly had to know was illegal) to be funny. ANd it's not the first time he had guns illegally either. If he was some victim of circumstance, i think i'd feel worse for him - i find it hard to feel bad for someone waving a gun around like a toy because he thinks its funny.

rezznor
01-14-2010, 07:21 PM

it's alot easier to police a country with the population of switzerland then it is a country with the population of the US

niko
01-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Yes I realize its against the law. All I'm saying is punishment should fit the crime. But I think its important to see what other societies do and question our assumptions on how "bad" certain crimes are over others.....I just don't like this reflexive groupthink that "OMG....how COULD he.....THROW THE BOOK AT HIM....PUBLIC OUTCAST....". It's like, ok, CALM DOWN everyone........
your example was bad though. there are a million examples of sociey having different laws, different rules, sometimes warranted sometimes not.

plus this board isn't throwing the book at him, some people think he should be punished harshly, some don't. this board is notoriously forgiving of players faults, remember Marbury? There is no public lynching going on here, every thread is pretty balanced.

Shepseskaf
01-14-2010, 08:00 PM
A Q & A with a law professor, specifically on the issue of voiding Gilbert's contract:

Q: What kind of leverage does this give the team, if it's looking for a way to dump Gilbert's contract? Does he have to be convicted of a felony before any morals clause kicks in?

A: This is the real interesting issue, in my view. Clause 16 of the Uniform Player Contract empowers teams to void contracts and is vaguely worded to include not only criminal behavior, but behavior that is immoral. It has been seldom used, however (a recent example was the Celtics using it to terminate Vin Baker's contract, and that wasn't entirely successful, since it lead to a financial settlement with Baker).

Hypothetically, if the Wizards terminate Arenas' contract through Clause 16, the Players Association will vehemently object and file a grievance, which will be heard by an independent arbitrator.

Latrell Sprewell (with the Players' Association help) was able to get his contract with the Warriors reinstated, even though he chocked a coach, which is arguably worse than what Arenas did. Bottom line: if Arenas contract can be voided, think about what teams will do with other controversial players who have long-term, lucrative contracts.
Link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2010/01/06/DI2010010603834.html)

ShabbaWiz
01-14-2010, 08:20 PM
It never was dude.

ShabbaWiz
01-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Hopefully he gets the maximum.
Why you want that. Gil is not a bad guy.

KAJ=GOAT
01-14-2010, 09:30 PM

No, hes just not getting it because hes just that stupid.

I'd love to see that fool to go to school or work tomorrow, lay four guns on a chair, and see what happens.

"but, your honor, they weren't loaded, whats the problem here?":confusedshrug:

thejusman1
01-14-2010, 09:44 PM
They should work out a creative solution, because Gil's rich and might not even see prison time, let alone a maximum sentence. Make him start a charity for gun victims, get him to talk to inner-city classrooms, etc etc. I wouldn't want my tax dollars paying to keep him jailed either.

Bodin
01-14-2010, 10:07 PM
A Q & A with a law professor, specifically on the issue of voiding Gilbert's contract:

Link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2010/01/06/DI2010010603834.html)

I find this ridiculous. CEOs and top executives get their contracts voided (they get fired) all the time. What makes professional athletes above all this? If there is a clause in the contract when players screw up, the team should have the option to use it. It's like athletes are in this protective bubble separated from the real world. Accountants and lawyers **** up and they lose their designation.... anyways it is just frustrating to see someone take for granted their gift and ability to make millions.

I've heard that he won't see jail time? Is this correct? So worst case he does some community service and gets to play pro ball again next year? I am curious to know what would happen to an 'average' person in this situation.

Goffer3
01-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Wow. Hope he doesnt go to Jail :violin: but looks like the Wizard caught a break 4 the future if they had void his terrible contract

bokes15
01-14-2010, 10:27 PM
I agree with Charles when he said yes Gil should be punished but no it shouldn't be a copout for the Wiz to be able to void his horrible contract.

Alhazred
01-14-2010, 10:34 PM
I agree with Charles when he said yes Gil should be punished but no it shouldn't be a copout for the Wiz to be able to void his horrible contract.

You know... I have to disagree. I understand that Gil was obviously just being stupid, but truth be told I wouldn't want an employee who brought firearms into work, loaded or not, so I'm siding with the Wizard's front office on this.

gts
01-14-2010, 11:34 PM
i don't see it as a copout...if arenas can't play for the wiz due to his stupidity that's his problem not the wizards, the wizards offered him a contract to play basketball, if arenas cannot fulfill his end of the bargain because of this i see no reason whatsoever that the wizards should be forced to uphold their end of the contract.

33teeth
01-14-2010, 11:48 PM

I'll do that. I'll also consider the fact that I've lived there.

In Switzerland, you have to have a permit to carry a gun. Most average people aren't rolling around town packing. Only if they're serving military service.

:confusedshrug:

gts
01-14-2010, 11:50 PM
I'll do that. I'll also consider the fact that I've lived there.

In Switzerland, you have to have a permit to carry a gun. Most average people aren't rolling around town packing. Only if they're serving military service.

:confusedshrug:
what is the punishment for being found to have a gun without having a permit?

33teeth
01-15-2010, 12:06 AM
what is the punishment for being found to have a gun without having a permit?

I dunno but I'd bet that if you took some into your place of work (especially without a permit) you'd be fired. Or... lose your contract.

Alhazred
01-15-2010, 12:15 AM
I dunno but I'd bet that if you took some into your place of work (especially without a permit) you'd be fired. Or... lose your contract.

/Thread

Clifton
01-15-2010, 01:38 AM
This is stupid. Possessing an unloaded gun is not an immoral act, I don't care where you have it. It's illegal for a good reason, but the outrage you all are feigning over this is ridiculous. And the paranoia over guns I also don't understand. No matter how afriad of it you are, a gun can't shoot you without a bullet in it.

For Arenas to go to jail for this for years would be an outrage. An absolute outrage. As would anyone else going to jail for years for "GUN OWNERSHIP" as a first charge. It would be the only time I've ever rooted for the NRA, if this were to happen.

The "he brought into a place of work" is also bull****. It's a locker room, not an office. If you have a gun behind the counter in the post office, that's a problem. Having an unloaded one tucked away in your locker on the other hand is just... weird and inappropriate. But hardly deserving of jail time. Arenas didn't take this seriously because why the **** would he, he didn't do anything wrong. At the very most, give him a < 1 month to make a point.

Now about the Crittenton stuff... what's up with that? That could be bad. If he drew a gun on a teammate, that's serious. But not "felony gun possession." Give me a f*cking break.

KAJ=GOAT
01-15-2010, 03:21 AM
This is stupid. Possessing an unloaded gun is not an immoral act, I don't care where you have it. It's illegal for a good reason, but the outrage you all are feigning over this is ridiculous. And the paranoia over guns I also don't understand. No matter how afriad of it you are, a gun can't shoot you without a bullet in it.

For Arenas to go to jail for this for years would be an outrage. An absolute outrage. As would anyone else going to jail for years for "GUN OWNERSHIP" as a first charge. It would be the only time I've ever rooted for the NRA, if this were to happen.

The "he brought into a place of work" is also bull****. It's a locker room, not an office. If you have a gun behind the counter in the post office, that's a problem. Having an unloaded one tucked away in your locker on the other hand is just... weird and inappropriate. But hardly deserving of jail time. Arenas didn't take this seriously because why the **** would he, he didn't do anything wrong. At the very most, give him a < 1 month to make a point.

Now about the Crittenton stuff... what's up with that? That could be bad. If he drew a gun on a teammate, that's serious. But not "felony gun possession." Give me a f*cking break.

Does Gilbert Arenas get a paycheck?
Yes.

Did Gilbert Arenas take firearms to his place of employment?
Yes.

btw, a construction site isn't an office either, but its still an area where work takes place. McDonalds isn't an office, but its still an area where work takes place. A lawn isn't an office, but its still an area where work takes place.

The building where Gilbert plays basketball,

is where his work takes place.

East River Livn'
01-15-2010, 03:21 AM
would be a sweet pick up for the lakes.

Lakers need Arenas like they needed Isiah Rider and Dennis Rodman. http://smiliesftw.com/x/gtfo2.gif

thejumpa
01-15-2010, 04:01 AM
Gotta love all these people comparing NBA players to regular people like they have the same consequences as we do. News flash....for the most part they don't.

We'll see what happens with his contract, though. I still don't believe that they will be able to void it. After his plea deal, give this guy a huge fine and sit him some more. No need for jail time IMO.

EricForman
01-15-2010, 10:30 AM

Carelessness with guns is completely serious and should be punished. The world (or actually, just America) would be a much safer, nicer place if guns weren't so easily available.

Yes, nobody got hurt but things oculd have escalated. WHat if Crittenton was a bit crazy like Stephen Jackson? What if Crittenton was is a manic depressive person? He may have snapped and actually used the guns. What if an innocentWizard get shot because of this?

It sounds like a lot of "what ifs" but the fact is, you don't joke around with guns or anything that serious. You just don't. It's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to guns.

It IS a serious problem. Try watching the news everynight in America. It makes me sick. Gun is the last thing anyone should be joking about.

bagelred
01-15-2010, 10:33 AM

FINALLY, someone gets what I was trying to say.

If you want to get the message to Arenas, give him a month of jail time. Think about a full month in jail. Trust me, he'll avoid breaking the law ever again. And even THAT is ALOT of punishment.

But two years? three years? Insanity.......

spree43
01-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Just a question, how many work places (moreso jobs they are linked to) have guarenteed contracts

You can''t just fire an NBA player because you arent happy with his performance or he makes a mistake

That is the difference

LJJ
01-15-2010, 10:52 AM

This isn't true.

I could be stated in the contract, it probably is, and that would give the NBA the right to void Arenas' contract. True.

But.

If it goes to court, and it will if the NBA follows through, the court will take a new look at the validity of this. That both parties signed on something does not mean that it is absolute.
The court will take into consideration that Arenas will not do any jail time for instance, that this felony conviction will not incapacitate him to do his job. Not significantly anyway.

It's also pretty clear that if the Wizards were to void his contract, the biggest reason is not the morals aspect. The biggest reason is i the amount of money they can get back for a player that isn't worth nearly that amount anymore.
In court this will be considered as well, and this is hugely in favor of Arenas.

Personally I'm thinking if they try to void it's not going to hold up.

spree43
01-15-2010, 10:55 AM
This isn't true.

I could be stated in the contract, it probably is, and that would give the NBA the right to void Arenas' contract. True.

But.

If it goes to court, and it will if the NBA follows through, the court will take a new look at the validity of this. That both parties signed on something does not mean that it is absolute.
The court will take into consideration that Arenas will not do any jail time for instance, that this felony conviction will not incapacitate him to do his job. Not significantly anyway.

It's also pretty clear that if the Wizards were to void his contract, the biggest reason is not the morals aspect. The biggest reason is i the amount of money they can get back for a player that isn't worth nearly that amount anymore.
In court this will be considered as well, and this is hugely in favor of Arenas.

Personally I'm thinking if they try to void it's not going to hold up.

Agreed, the Wizards should be doing all they can to help Arenas, they aren't and this doesnt look good

Its pretty obvious why they want to void the contract and I'm pretty sure it isnt a valid reason

boozehound
01-15-2010, 11:32 AM

I do agree that the outrage is a little silly. But he clearly broke both the law and the nba CBA. If you dont like it, work on changing the laws in DC (which has some of the toughest gun laws in the country). For a guy like GA, who has enough money to build a million $ pool (or whatever), to not bother to call a lawyer to figure out the proper and legal way to possess a gun in DC is just idiotic. There is a huge network of gun advocates who can help you figure out how to legally own guns where you live.

Hes a moron and he broke the law. He should expect the same treatment as anyone else.

boozehound
01-15-2010, 11:35 AM

Sorry, BREAKING NEWS! the penalty for not having your gun properly licensed is a felony (in DC). so, if he should be punished, but not charged with the felony that was specifically set up for this, what? He should be outside the law?

boozehound
01-15-2010, 11:41 AM

but he didnt just have the guns in his locked locker (if he had, no one would have ever known about it. Its obvious, based on crit's quick response, that a lot of nba players probably carry in the arenas - discretely).

He took 4 guns (which may have been loaded for all crit knew) and placed them in his cubicle, in public view. That could be construed as a direct threat to crit. and is obviously potentially dangerous.

Hes a moron and he deserves whats coming to him (which wont be much anyways).

as for the voiding of the contract not holding up in court, thats nonsense. The only reason the contracts are fully guaranteed is because of the cba. It will go to arbitration, not a court, and the cba clause will be upheld.

boozehound
01-15-2010, 11:51 AM
One last thing and then Im pretty much done on the topic.
I keep seeing quotes in the media that he didnt know it was illegal. Ignorance of the law is not a defense. Hes obviously a very poorly educated and trained gun owner (like a lot of people who have gold plated desert eagles, guns are about fitting an image for him). I saw somewhere that he owns "hundreds" of guns, yet he cant take the time out to figure out the proper way to register them? make one phone call and get a lackey to do it for you.

**** him, its people like him who make gun owners look bad (along with all the gunshow dealers who sell semi-auto arms to mexican cartels with no background checks).

LuppersGB
01-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Amendment 2 - the Right to Bear Arms 12/15/1791
A well organized Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bare arms shall not be infringed.

In your constitution it clearly states the the right to bare arms is that of the Militia not of the average Joe. the militia are citizens who in times of national security will join up under the control of the president.

Is Gil in a militia...hell no! therefore it is an offense under your constitution for him to bare arms. The last time I checked any form of gun is a firearm whether loaded or not.

Interestingly this would most probably mean 99% of gun holder in the US are committing a constitutional offense. Why then does your government not take all guns away from the public, surely it would solve a lot of problems?

And despite all of that...who the fukc takes a gun to work. OMG how dumb can you be...?

Alhazred
01-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Agreed, the Wizards should be doing all they can to help Arenas, they aren't and this doesnt look good

Its pretty obvious why they want to void the contract and I'm pretty sure it isnt a valid reason

The man brought firearms into their facilities for a prank. That is a perfectly valid reason to fire someone. If I was in their position I wouldn't want him as an employee either. Why are people taking shots at the Wizards? Would you feel safe knowing one of your teammates likes to joke around and intimidate others with guns?

I don't think he should face heavy jail time, but losing his contract is perfectly reasonable, regardless of how much money it's worth.

SayTownRy
01-15-2010, 12:27 PM
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/112/99585.jpg

SayTownRy
01-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Why then does your government not take all guns away from the public, surely it would solve a lot of problems?

can't be done, there's too many. you'd render the law abiding, registered gun owners gunless and the unregistered/black market gun owners armed. it would create more problems than it would solve.

people that are in such an emotionally irrational state that they feel the need to do harm to others are going to carry out their actions in any manner possible - see knives, explosives, obtaining guns illegally...

personally, i don't want the only people in this country with guns to be the government and the police.

look at the pacification of gunless societies. in the UK you can't even legally protect your own home with a kitchen knife.

LuppersGB
01-15-2010, 12:53 PM
in the UK you can't even legally protect your own home with a kitchen knife.
you can if they have a gun

Long Duck Dong
01-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Amendment 2 - the Right to Bear Arms 12/15/1791
A well organized Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bare arms shall not be infringed.

In your constitution it clearly states the the right to bare arms is that of the Militia not of the average Joe. the militia are citizens who in times of national security will join up under the control of the president.

No it does not clearly state that you blithering idiot. In order to form a well organized militia(if necessary) the right for people to keep and bear arms is necessary to guarantee a free state. Obviously this is meant to keep an oppressive government in check. What don't you get by the "right of the people to keep and bare arms shall not be infringed"? You think the "people" means the government or people "under control" of the president? If a person can only bear arms under control of a president or King, why would there need to be a Constitutional Amendment for it? :rolleyes: You truly are a dolt. Go back to your blood pudding, bangers and mash, your kickball and stop preaching to us our own legislation.

thejusman1
01-15-2010, 02:17 PM
I hope to live in a world where you can buy alcohol, guns, drugs, and fireworks at a drive-thru and use them all before you get home.

LuppersGB
01-15-2010, 02:30 PM
No it does not clearly state that you blithering idiot. In order to form a well organized militia(if necessary) the right for people to keep and bear arms is necessary to guarantee a free state. Obviously this is meant to keep an oppressive government in check. What don't you get by the "right of the people to keep and bare arms shall not be infringed"? You think the "people" means the government or people "under control" of the president? If a person can only bear arms under control of a president or King, why would there need to be a Constitutional Amendment for it? :rolleyes: You truly are a dolt. Go back to your blood pudding, bangers and mash, your kickball and stop preaching to us our own legislation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Read about 2/5ths down "meaning of to keep and bare arms"
it quotes several academics as saying this right is only constituted to those who are in a militia and believe it or not, not everyone is part of that:ohwell:

Long Duck Dong
01-15-2010, 03:06 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Read about 2/5ths down "meaning of to keep and bare arms"
it quotes several academics as saying this right is only constituted to those who are in a militia and believe it or not, not everyone is part of that:ohwell:

What difference does it make what "several" academics give as their interpretation of the the 2nd Amendment on a wiki link? :rolleyes: The Supreme Court has already stated that the 2nd amendment pertains to an individual's right. Even the 9th Circuit Court, the most liberal court in the nation, says that the 2nd Amendment applies to individuals for matters of self-defense.

Gun rights are getting more recognition from the courts than ever before. The Supreme Court recently knocked down DC's 30 year handgun ban. Arenas would be in really, really deep crap if they hadn't. In 29 states almost any sane non-criminal can carry a concealed pistol now, and almost every state allows business owners to carry concealed pistols. There are even a few cities which say gun ownership is mandatory. :oldlol: Gun rights are probably stronger now than they have ever been in the history of the USA.

SayTownRy
01-15-2010, 03:18 PM
you can if they have a gun

you better be pretty handy with your knife to have a chance in that scenario.

seems to me like UK law is stacked against the property owner and in favor of the intruder. again, weakening the populace...

Clifton
01-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Does Gilbert Arenas get a paycheck?
Yes.

Did Gilbert Arenas take firearms to his place of employment?
Yes.

btw, a construction site isn't an office either, but its still an area where work takes place. McDonalds isn't an office, but its still an area where work takes place. A lawn isn't an office, but its still an area where work takes place.

The building where Gilbert plays basketball,

is where his work takes place.
Specious logic-chopping. First, Gilbert doesn't do any work in the locker room. The locker room is where players keep their stuff while they're working. It's where they go after they're done working, and before. But can I say this again? It's a place where you store stuff. A construction site is where you construct things. The equivalent for a construction worker doing this would be to leave the gun in the car he carpools there in. Or in the tool shed. Which is only immoral if he uses it in any threatening way with others. And which should be a felony only if it poses some danger to somebody, like if there are bullets in or near it or if it's out in the open.

It's not just for Gil to go jail for a very long period of time for this, and I hate to say this, but it's also not just for him to lose his contract over this. I think players should lose their contracts for poor quality of play, but that's not how it works. Teams promise their players money. For the Wiz to look at this harmless, very much not-immoral incident as an opportunity to undo a contract they'd like to take back is unjust. If this contract gets undid, there are dozens of others that should get undid also. Artest's contract didn't get undid after he hit a fan: did Gilbert hit anyone? Did Gil cause anyone harm? No. Gil hugs fans, and tosses them his jersey. He also made the Wizards a lot of money by getting them into the playoffs for the first time in decades, something Michael Jordan himself couldn't do, for several years consecutively. Now he's starting to lose his touch, the Wizards think they can do better.... tough beanos jack. You already signed him to a bad contract. This is a mistake every team has made at some point or other. Why should you get out of it because of a technicality.

**** him, its people like him who make gun owners look bad
NO. It's people who kill or threaten people with their guns who make gun owners look bad. If people weren't killing and threatening people with guns, Gil wouldn't have to register his guns in the first place. Not registering a gun you have no intention of using to threaten is by no imaginable standard an immoral act. Gil kept an unloaded gun in the place where NBA players store their things. As long as that's all he did, this is an outrage.

Now if he's busting it out and loading it and pointing it at teammates, again, my view on that is that he should get pounded. I'm very specific in what I'm addressing. We don't totally know the story, or at least I don't. I'm assuming all he did was keep a couple unloaded, unregistered guns in his locker and now the sports media (no doubt fueled by Wizards management who have a hundred million bucks and lots of cap room to gain) is on a witch hunt.

Clifton
01-15-2010, 03:45 PM

Is Gil in a militia...hell no! therefore it is an offense under your constitution for him to bare arms. The last time I checked any form of gun is a firearm whether loaded or not.

Interestingly this would most probably mean 99% of gun holder in the US are committing a constitutional offense.
That's an awesome interpretation of constutional law, provided you're a third-grader.

Long Duck Dong
01-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Artest's contract didn't get undid after he hit a fan

Artest was an elite top 10 player at the time, making 6 mil/year. That was NOT going to happen.

InspiredLebowski
01-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Gilbert's getting sentenced in 8 weeks. Sounds like he's doing time, max of 6 months.

Clifton
01-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Artest was an elite top 10 player at the time, making 6 mil/year. That was NOT going to happen.
Exactly. He kept his contract because the owners were making money off him. The Wizards' owners are losing money off Arenas, so they want to void his contract, for "moral reasons." Even the argument that he's a PR nightmare and embarassing to the franchise falls apart when you consider that. If the Wizards stuck up for the guy they made the decision to name their franchise player (that's what you're doing when you offer a guy $20 mil more than any other team might even threaten to offer), it would probably be much less of a PR issue. I'm sure they're either stoking the fires or encouraging them to be stoked behind the scenes.

I was on the Wizards side on this until I really thought through what it means. Until it became serious. I wanted to see Gil get voided because he's overpaid and I wanted to see the Wizards maybe become relevant again. But this isn't how I want to see the contract situation become reasonable. I hate seeing a franchise be destroyed by a bad contract as much as the next guy but this is obviously contrived.

boozehound
01-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Not registering a gun you have no intention of using to threaten is by no imaginable standard an immoral act. Gil kept an unloaded gun in the place where NBA players store their things. As long as that's all he did, this is an outrage.

morals have nothing to do with it. Its illegal and he should have known that. If he wants to own a gun, do it properly according to your state (or district) laws.

I dont see you getting outraged about joeschmoe who gets jailtime for carrying an unregistered handgun in his car (for his own protection).

If you have an issue with it, work to change the laws. Dont suggest that he should not have to deal with the same legal consequences as your or I for violating a very clear and straightforward law.

gts
01-15-2010, 05:49 PM
you better be pretty handy with your knife to have a chance in that scenario.

seems to me like UK law is stacked against the property owner and in favor of the intruder. again, weakening the populace...
last time the british let the populace have weapons they lost north america...lol

KAJ=GOAT
01-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Specious logic-chopping. First, Gilbert doesn't do any work in the locker room. The locker room is where players keep their stuff while they're working. It's where they go after they're done working, and before. But can I say this again? It's a place where you store stuff. A construction site is where you construct things. The equivalent for a construction worker doing this would be to leave the gun in the car he carpools there in. Or in the tool shed. Which is only immoral if he uses it in any threatening way with others. And which should be a felony only if it poses some danger to somebody, like if there are bullets in or near it or if it's out in the open.

It's not just for Gil to go jail for a very long period of time for this, and I hate to say this, but it's also not just for him to lose his contract over this. I think players should lose their contracts for poor quality of play, but that's not how it works. Teams promise their players money. For the Wiz to look at this harmless, very much not-immoral incident as an opportunity to undo a contract they'd like to take back is unjust. If this contract gets undid, there are dozens of others that should get undid also. Artest's contract didn't get undid after he hit a fan: did Gilbert hit anyone? Did Gil cause anyone harm? No. Gil hugs fans, and tosses them his jersey. He also made the Wizards a lot of money by getting them into the playoffs for the first time in decades, something Michael Jordan himself couldn't do, for several years consecutively. Now he's starting to lose his touch, the Wizards think they can do better.... tough beanos jack. You already signed him to a bad contract. This is a mistake every team has made at some point or other. Why should you get out of it because of a technicality.

NO. It's people who kill or threaten people with their guns who make gun owners look bad. If people weren't killing and threatening people with guns, Gil wouldn't have to register his guns in the first place. Not registering a gun you have no intention of using to threaten is by no imaginable standard an immoral act. Gil kept an unloaded gun in the place where NBA players store their things. As long as that's all he did, this is an outrage.

Now if he's busting it out and loading it and pointing it at teammates, again, my view on that is that he should get pounded. I'm very specific in what I'm addressing. We don't totally know the story, or at least I don't. I'm assuming all he did was keep a couple unloaded, unregistered guns in his locker and now the sports media (no doubt fueled by Wizards management who have a hundred million bucks and lots of cap room to gain) is on a witch hunt.

Doesn't matter that it was in the locker room or the court. The fact of the matter remains, he took them inside the building on the property where its forbidden. No mattter how many of you dumbasses try to justify his foolishness,

hes wrong.

You're over here trying to split hairs on literal meanings of places.

I'll tell you what, why don't you go find Gilberts lawyers and pass them on the supreme knowledge you've dropped here.

Surely you'll be rewarded with a partnership at their law firm.

oh the horror
01-15-2010, 06:22 PM
:lol So by some people's definitions, his place of "work" is ONLY ON COURT?

Sorry buddies...but the entire building IS the place of work. The man makes millions upon millions. He cant find a better place to store guns?

gts
01-15-2010, 06:29 PM

Sorry buddies...but the entire building IS the place of work. The man makes millions upon millions. He cant find a better place to store guns?
his place of work is wherever the team gathers, the airport, the hotel the bus to the arena and at the arena.. even if he travels alone and the transportation is supplied by the team he is on the clock

one thing i am vague on is were the guns not registered at all or did he not have a permit, or both.. two seperate things..

Alhazred
01-15-2010, 06:41 PM

Fair enough, but he admitted that he took them out to play a joke.

On Monday, December 21st, I took the unloaded guns out in a misguided effort to play a joke on a teammate.

His words.

http://www.mikejonessports.com/2010/01/arenas-statement.html

KAJ=GOAT
01-15-2010, 06:45 PM

Funny isn't it.

I'm going to go to work, and not take my guns to where I'm actually working, but to the breakroom and just set up four guns,

because, well,

its not where the work is actually taking place so everything should be fine and dandy with everyone, especially because, "they're not even loaded".

:hammerhead:

kidd5
01-15-2010, 06:53 PM
this is one ugly dude..

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100115/capt.13f2d02ff9114b5c9c1783c9c5053e0f.wizards_guns _basketball_ilca501.jpg

SayTownRy
01-15-2010, 06:57 PM
last time the british let the populace have weapons they lost north america...lol

:roll:

GOBB
01-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Looks like his NBA contract is safe. They are saying voiding it will be difficult and most likely a loser if it went to arbitration. Per Sportscenter.

So his $78mil+ is safe.

gts
01-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Looks like his NBA contract is safe. They are saying voiding it will be difficult and most likely a loser if it went to arbitration. Per Sportscenter.

So his $78mil+ is safe.
he's suspended without pay now.. i wonder how long the suspension lasts? did they mention that aspect of it?

GOBB
01-15-2010, 08:10 PM
he's suspended without pay now.. i wonder how long the suspension lasts? did they mention that aspect of it?

Nah they didnt. I remember when it first happened. The talk on sportscenter from guys was Stern suspended him indefinately until after the court situations is finally resolved and something is determined. Then Stern would make an official suspension. And his court date is awhiles away.

RidonKs
01-16-2010, 02:44 PM
*sigh*

D-Rose
01-18-2010, 12:40 AM
http://www.basketwallpapers.com/Images-08/Agent-Zero-With-Gun-Wallpaper.jpg

Zan Tabak
01-18-2010, 12:00 PM
morals have nothing to do with it. Its illegal and he should have known that. If he wants to own a gun, do it properly according to your state (or district) laws.

I dont see you getting outraged about joeschmoe who gets jailtime for carrying an unregistered handgun in his car (for his own protection).

If you have an issue with it, work to change the laws. Dont suggest that he should not have to deal with the same legal consequences as your or I for violating a very clear and straightforward law.

Amen!

LJJ
01-18-2010, 12:17 PM
http://www.basketwallpapers.com/Images-08/Agent-Zero-With-Gun-Wallpaper.jpg

:oldlol:

http://i46.tinypic.com/30ib3ms.jpg

D-Rose
01-18-2010, 02:15 PM
Lol my post looks like I posted a random laugh smiley but there was a pic...guess a sensitive admin removed it.

Rambis
01-18-2010, 02:38 PM
To me, the locker room thing is bull****. Mostly because he took them out and people saw them.

If I saw someone at work take out guns, regardless of whether he said they were loaded or not, I'd be pissed/feel threatened.

Second, to me, the contract to play in the NBA is not just to play basketball. Why do they pay Arenas? To make money for the franchise... he now makes the franchise look bad and doesn't make them money anymore... not because of how he does his job, but what he did outside of it. He should lose his contract because he is now a detriment to the organization... because of something of his own choosing.

It's really ridiculous. I can't believe Sprewell didnt lose his contract either... the Player's Union is an organization that protects a lot of criminals, in my mind. It's just a bad organization.