PDA

View Full Version : Its Official LeBrick James backed out of the Dunk Contest.

LebrickJames84'
01-18-2010, 01:13 PM
wouldn't be surprised now if he tries to do the 3 point contest.

PleezeBelieve
01-18-2010, 01:15 PM
5-Star Thread

GollyImSoGully
01-18-2010, 01:15 PM
LEBRICK! (http://fantastiksports.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/skip-bayless.jpg)

madmax
01-18-2010, 01:17 PM
wow, you've got a really creative nickname pal...let me guess - a Kome fan?

50inchvertical
01-18-2010, 01:18 PM
No surprise. And at the finals of this yr's contest he will try to take all the attention for himself again when he promises to enter next yr.

1~Gibson~1
01-18-2010, 01:20 PM
i knew someone was gonna make a thread about LeBron :oldlol:

keep on hatin

GollyImSoGully
01-18-2010, 01:22 PM
i knew someone was gonna make a thread about LeBron :oldlol:

keep on hatin

LOL @ this clown saying a few weeks ago that Lebron could possibly enter the dunk contest.

1~Gibson~1
01-18-2010, 01:24 PM
LOL @ this clown saying a few weeks ago that Lebron could possibly enter the dunk contest.
i said that?

GollyImSoGully
01-18-2010, 01:27 PM
i said that?

Uh yea you did.

1~Gibson~1
01-18-2010, 01:30 PM
Uh yea you did.
i dont remember saying it, but if i did what's wrong with saying that he could POSSIBLY enter the dunk contest?

did i lie? :confusedshrug:

BigTicket
01-18-2010, 01:32 PM
This time he earned the hate, saying he was going to compete and then backing out is a ***** move.

west
01-18-2010, 01:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9vmVc1UeZA&feature=related

LAClipsFan33
01-18-2010, 01:35 PM
What a liar

iggy>
01-18-2010, 01:35 PM
lmao what a fraud.

GollyImSoGully
01-18-2010, 01:36 PM
i dont remember saying it, but if i did what's wrong with saying that he could POSSIBLY enter the dunk contest?

Because everyone with half a brain knew there was 0.0% chance of him entering. He's an attention whore who couldn't stand that the spotlight wasn't on him saturday of last years all star weekend.

KB2009Champ
01-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Weak juice.

If this had been anyone else more people would be all over him.

If he doesn't want to compete thats fine but don't say you will and then back out.

Since when did people get too cool to do the dunk contest?

Weak.

west
01-18-2010, 01:40 PM
If there is a dance contest he will be all over it.

iamgine
01-18-2010, 01:42 PM
So no star this year?

Nate, Gwall, Shannon and Demar/Eric? :oldlol:

It'd be lame if Lebron enters. He'd win it too easy due to star power.

Andrei89
01-18-2010, 01:45 PM
D1ck move by Lebron. After announcing it he backs out like a huge pssy.

As some say he couldn't handle not having the attention during All Star game last year so he went on to get the spotlight by saying he will compete in 2010

It's sad i wanted him to do a contest but anyway, bye Lebron i hope Wade pwnz your ass

Black Joker
01-18-2010, 01:45 PM
smh at lebron

artex
01-18-2010, 01:46 PM
HE'S SHOOK CUZ OF SHAY BREEZY, I WOULD BACK OUT TOO!!!!

and wow, didnt lebron he say he would?

either way im definitely more excited to see this lineup, crash/nate/shannon/and hopefully demar will be fun to watch

ortonsaw
01-18-2010, 01:46 PM
what a *****

LAClipsFan33
01-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Lebron isn't scared of Shannon Brown. That's a stupid idea. Why the hell would he be scared of a dunker he already beat ? He just doesn't want to be in it because he feels he's too big for the dunk contest

macpierce
01-18-2010, 01:53 PM
i appreciate lebrons game but dude has to step up and bring some excitement to the dunk contest because he has the ability but damn way to back out when you told kenny smith you would do it

1~Gibson~1
01-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Because everyone with half a brain knew there was 0.0% chance of him entering. He's an attention whore who couldn't stand that the spotlight wasn't on him saturday of last years all star weekend.
wow. you have a huge agenda. you should fix that.

***** move by LeBron though.

phoenix18
01-18-2010, 02:01 PM
NBA marketing. Watch Lebron suprise everyone and enter as a fifth dunker.

In NBA Live 06, I was doing 720's with this dude. I am at least expecting a 540 in real life.

GollyImSoGully
01-18-2010, 02:03 PM
wow. you have a huge agenda. you should fix that.

***** move by LeBron though.

Agenda or stating the truth?

Juges8932
01-18-2010, 02:05 PM
I knew he would ***** out. That's really disappointing.

Knicks101
01-18-2010, 02:06 PM

In NBA Live 06, I was doing 720's with this dude. I am at least expecting a 540 in real life.

I could never figure out how to do a 720. :banghead: I had like six 50 point dunks though.

phoenix18
01-18-2010, 02:08 PM
I could never figure out how to do a 720. :banghead: I had like six 50 point dunks though.

:oldlol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzaFiRD6uj0

That game was just too funny for a basketball game.

sbw19
01-18-2010, 02:09 PM
Brent Barry > LeBron

triangleoffense
01-18-2010, 02:11 PM

no one is saying you lied he's just saying your a ***** bitch but defending your pimp and being all on his knob when it's obvious he's too ***** to go against shannon brown in the dunk contest rofl.

Lebrick definitely no kobe, and don't even mention MJ in the same sentence as lebrick. rofl 0 finals wins

Ken_Masters
01-18-2010, 02:14 PM
B*tch move by LeBron. What a panzy.

D-Rose
01-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Even his fans have to admit this was bull****. Remember in the middle of last year's contest like the attention whore he is "LEBRON JAMES HAS JUST ANNOUNCED HE WILL BE IN NEXT YEARS DUNK CONTEST IN DALLAS" Then he totally backs out....wtf?

Myth
01-18-2010, 02:26 PM
I was just watching when he announced it and he said he is "Preliminarily putting my name in the 2010 dunk contest." Key word, "Prelimiarily." Meaning he wasn't guaranteeing it.

That said, I am disappointed in this move by him. If he is going to bring that much attention to himself with such a strong statement (though not a guarantee), I feel he owes this to the fans unless he has a really good excuse. I haven't heard an excuse yet, but I'm guessing he simply didn't want to compete in it due to the lack of big names in it. As it is without big names, people in the future would say either "He lost to a nobody" or "He won, but was against a bunch of nobodies." Forget that guys like Shannon Brown and Derozan are actually good dunkers, because they simply aren't big names that bring lots of glamor to the contest. So again, he didn't lie, and I can understand him not wanting to do it, but after his comments at last year's contest, I feel he owes it to us fans.

beasted86
01-18-2010, 02:28 PM
why are you guys surprised?

In PB's thread last week, the majority of people guessed he would back out. :confusedshrug:

DukeDelonte13
01-18-2010, 02:29 PM
meh. I'm disappointed, but i don't think he backed out because he's "scared", i think its just more of a laziness thing.

Samurai Swoosh
01-18-2010, 02:34 PM

LOL ...

I'm thinking the same ... cause the NBA said LeBron can enter and retain his original status as a participant till the very last minute.

With that said, it doesn't make sense from a marketing perspective cause they'd be able to get more viewers IF they could hype up him being there as a for sure fire participant.

phoenix18
01-18-2010, 02:37 PM
LOL ...

I'm thinking the same ... cause the NBA said LeBron can enter and retain his original status as a participant till the very last minute.

With that said, it doesn't make sense from a marketing perspective cause they'd be able to get more viewers IF they could hype up him being there as a for sure fire participant.

I think the surprise would have a positive effect. Think about it, Lebron appears out of nowhere??? ISH would slow to a crawl, texts will be sent, twitter updates will be flying around, etc.

It would be different from the "shove XXXXX player down your throat for X weeks" strategy the NBA uses.

It would be epic.

Samurai Swoosh
01-18-2010, 02:39 PM
I think the surprise would have a positive effect. Think about it, Lebron appears out of nowhere??? ISH would slow to a crawl, texts will be sent, twitter updates will be flying around, etc.

It would be different from the "shove XXXXX player down your throat for X weeks" strategy the NBA uses.

It would be epic.
LeBron comes out of the crowd dressed like "business" LeBron to enter the dunk contest.

NOW THAT would be EPIC.

http://blog.themavenreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/business_bron_600.jpg

:pimp:

DukeDelonte13
01-18-2010, 02:40 PM
anyone got a link to the story?

phoenix18
01-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Wow Samurai.:applause: :oldlol: That would be epic.

triangleoffense
01-18-2010, 02:48 PM
epic maybe

likely no

inclinerator
01-18-2010, 02:54 PM
i am truely dissapointed

sbw19
01-18-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm guessing he simply didn't want to compete in it due to the lack of big names in it.

Dwight competed for two consec years, Bron had enough big names to go against, he just elected not to. Reason is he doesn't like his chances of winning, and I doubt he believes entertaining the fans makes up for losing in the dunk contest especially given that he knows he's a superior athlete to virtually every possible contestant.

TheTruth11
01-18-2010, 03:04 PM
He wants nothing to do with Shannon Brown. Plain and simple.

As great as Lebron is, he will always be missing something on his resume. What a shame. Dr.J did it.... and won. MJ did it.... and won. Kobe did it.... and won. Lebron.... didn't even try to do it. Lebron = epic fail.

I would respect the guy more for if he failed and tried.... than to never try at all. It is like he is sooooo damn worried about crafting his image (from comfiscating the tape where he got dunked on) till now being afraid that his image will suffer because of losing the Slam Dunk Contest.

One thing about Jordan that nobody can ever take away from him, is that he was NEVER AFRAID TO FAIL. Love him or hate him, that fact can't be denied. MJ, the untimate competitior, took on all comers. Win, lose or draw, MJ never backed away from a challenge.

And that is why MJ will forever be the greatest of all time.

PleezeBelieve
01-18-2010, 03:04 PM
If you're going to enter high school dunk contests, then you HAVE to enter a NBA one.

Dude is a f*cking sucka and its no wonder Jordan diggs into him anytime he gets. He doesn't respect LeBron and decisions like these are a big reason why.

Seriously, you're teasing the public about your entry into a dunk contest just for your personal amusement? A public that spends their money to support your uber-ego?

Dude is a clown.

kkling
01-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Oh no, not the precious dunk contest. I'd rather Lebron continue dunking on people in game, or watching people get the hell out of his way. haha

Kblaze8855
01-18-2010, 03:11 PM
As great as Lebron is, he will always be missing something on his resume. What a shame. MJ did it.... and won. Kobe did it.... and won. Lebron.... didn't even try to do it. Lebron = epic fail.

Nobody is gonna give 1/43rd of a **** what he did or didnt do in a dunk contest when its time to look back.

Id have liked to see him in it but im not crushed. Ive seen him do every dunk Kobe did in the 97 contest in game(even through the legs...rookie game and in HS).

He goes and has a performance like that id rather he had just stayed home.

I want to see great dunks more than star power and ****ty dunks. If he doesnt have something to show id rather someone be in it who does.

L.Kizzle
01-18-2010, 03:12 PM
LeBruise James

inclinerator
01-18-2010, 03:12 PM
come on man up and enter

Doranku
01-18-2010, 03:15 PM
I think that the real tragedy in this story lies in the fact that Nate Robinson will be in the contest again meaning that we fans will have to sit through half hour blocks of failed dunks.

liljohnnywall
01-18-2010, 03:17 PM
If you're going to enter high school dunk contests, then you HAVE to enter a NBA one.

Dude is a f*cking sucka and its no wonder Jordan diggs into him anytime he gets. He doesn't respect LeBron and decisions like these are a big reason why.

Seriously, you're teasing the public about your entry into a dunk contest just for your personal amusement? A public that spends their money to support your uber-ego?

Dude is a clown.

wow i never thought i would see the day that pb is on our side about bron

LA_Showtime
01-18-2010, 03:19 PM
You guys act like this will take away from his legacy or something. Who cares. The dunk contest sucks anyway.

phoenix18
01-18-2010, 03:20 PM
I think that the real tragedy in this story lies in the fact that Nate Robinson will be in the contest again meaning that we fans will have to sit through half hour blocks of failed dunks.
:applause: I am telling you, NATE will be awesome this year. I have a feeling....

HylianNightmare
i'm shocked

psyche

jordanslegacy
I think Lebron just doesn't like to lose because it seriously hurts his ego. he is an amazing player and can definitely dunk, we have all seen it in game. I just think that if people don't go wooooooooooow or man he is amazing, he will seriously be hurt about it.

Myth
Dwight competed for two consec years, Bron had enough big names to go against, he just elected not to.

I'm thinking when Bron said it, he was expecting a guy like Dwight to still be in it. LeBron would get some glamor competing with a guy like Dwight Howard. Competing against Shannon Brown just doesn't have the same ring to it.

TheTruth11
01-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Nobody is gonna give 1/43rd of a **** what he did or didnt do in a dunk contest when its time to look back.

Id have liked to see him in it but im not crushed. Ive seen him do every dunk Kobe did in the 97 contest in game(even through the legs...rookie game and in HS).

He goes and has a performance like that id rather he had just stayed home.

I want to see great dunks more than star power and ****ty dunks. If he doesnt have something to show id rather someone be in it who does.

Dr.J competed.... and won. MJ competed.... and won. Kobe competed.... and won. Lebron.... didn't even try.

Whether you want to believe it or not, the NBA is alot about heritage and passing the baton. And yes, your resume of accomplishments. Lebron, in a lot of ways, will never be looked at as the rightful heir in that line of succession which started with Dr. J, if he fails to compete in the slam dunk.

If you are a superstar in the height range of 6'5" to 6'8", it is almost a given that you will compete in the Slam Dunk and become King of that event before you can be considered the true King.

hawksdogsbraves
01-18-2010, 03:21 PM
He probably didn't want to enter it because he realized that the Dunk Contest is a joke now and has been for the past 5 or so years. It couldn't help his image, only hurt it.

Samurai Swoosh
01-18-2010, 03:23 PM
He has killed the momentum and flow of every dunk contest he's been in the past few seasons. Even when he wins its boring cause it takes so long, so many attempts. He's fantastic to watch when he dunks in games but in a dunk contest? He's just too small.

Indian guy
01-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Very disappointing to say the least. LeBron's deserves all the sh!t he's about to get for this.

sbw19
01-18-2010, 03:26 PM
I'm thinking when Bron said it, he was expecting a guy like Dwight to still be in it. LeBron would get some glamor competing with a guy like Dwight Howard. Competing against Shannon Brown just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Too bad Dwight, uh, backed out then.

TheTruth11
01-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Lebron is just too worried about his image. Somebody needs to give him better advice..... or if he is listening to himself, he needs to listen to somebody. People don't respect this move. Fans would rather him man up, compete and lose, than never compete at all.

L.Kizzle
01-18-2010, 03:34 PM
I wonder what his excuse is gonna be ...

"See what had happened was, I was gonna do it, but um ... yeah!"

PleezeBelieve
01-18-2010, 03:37 PM
The criticism isnt about LeBron's legacy.

What/How do I gain from his legacy being furthered or not? :oldlol:

This is more about his respect for the fans of this game. If you put a poll up on ESPN asking if people want LeBron in the dunk contest, it would probably be a 85/15 split atleast in favor of him entering.

This is about respect.

And LeBron fails here big time and actually personifies why I'm not that big of him personally. He seems to enjoy the game but to thumb your nose at the Dunk Contest going on seven years in a row is inexcusable.

liljohnnywall
frauding

KB2009Champ

Dude is a clown.

Ok either this is sarcasm, someone hijacked PBs account or dude is high on meth.

Y2Gezee
01-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Im not surprised. I never thought he'd do it.

He just saw all the excitement going towards others last year, and wanted some attention on himself. And who doesn't know he's an attention whore?

He wouldn't win if he did join...hence him not joining.

Raider007
So who you have for the winner?

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/img/2.0/sect/dunk/coming_place1.jpghttp://i2.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/img/2.0/sect/dunk/coming_place2.jpghttp://i2.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/img/2.0/sect/dunk/coming_place3.jpgThe Raptors' DeMar DeRozan and the Clippers' Eric Gordon will have a dunk-in (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/01/12/allstar.dunkin/index.html) at halftime of the Rookie Challenge with the winner advancing to the Sprite Slam Dunk contest in the 4th spot.

beasly15
he's scared of the dunk contest. he knows his one legged dunks ain't sh*t but power. "i don't do that dunk contest stuff", remember that commercial?? what a b*tch.. anyway, he would barely beat karl malone's weak dunks.
http://sportige.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/malonedunk.jpg

Raider007
01-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Gerald Wallace will be the big man with thunderous dunks.
Nate Robinson will be doing the trick (over the back) dunks
Shannon Brown flys like a bird

I will go with Shannon Brown (not because of him being on the Lakers) but because he is the wild card. What will he do with his ability to hang for so long?

Notice his pic and how he holds the ball without using his wrist, "them r som big ol hands"

Ill be watching.:rockon:

nbastatus
01-18-2010, 03:50 PM
****ing liar! You deserve is thread, Lebron.

KB2009Champ
01-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Im not surprised. I never thought he'd do it.

He just saw all the excitement going towards others last year, and wanted some attention on himself. And who doesn't know he's an attention whore?

He wouldn't win if he did join...hence him not joining.

Agree 100%

Noob Saibot
01-18-2010, 04:03 PM
LeBron should realize (maybe he does) that his dunking ability wont be damaged even if he doesn't win a dunk contest. He'll there have been some amazing dunkers came tried it and never won a contest. Like Clyde Drexler, Shawn Kemp, Steve Francis, Ricky Davis, Tracy McGrady, just to name a few.

GollyImSoGully
01-18-2010, 04:06 PM
I'll give the advantage to Shannon. Even on his basic dunks, he makes it look so amazing cause he glides in the air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkD8O15aiLY

Look at this dunk, simple 1 handed dunk but he jumps so high and so far that it's like wow....

Also the fact that he can palm the ball makes it look a lot nicer.

Luigi
01-18-2010, 04:19 PM
This is a terrible move. I thought it was childish to promise to compete nect year while the contest was going on. It was an attention move.

Backing out now is garbage. I wouldn't be surprised if he got enough backlash from this to realize that he needs to make good on his statement and re-enter.

inclinerator
01-18-2010, 04:21 PM
This is a terrible move. I thought it was childish to promise to compete nect year while the contest was going on. It was an attention move.

Backing out now is garbage. I wouldn't be surprised if he got enough backlash from this to realize that he needs to make good on his statement and re-enter.
then who will they kick out, or will there be 5 contestants

Ken_Masters
01-18-2010, 04:27 PM

lol....so true. Even more disappointing that LeBron couldn't keep his word is the fact that Nate Robinson is going to be back in the contest. I'm sick and tired of seeing him in the dunk contest.

tsforthrees
01-18-2010, 04:29 PM
good move. the dunk contest is a joke, and i don't think he's creative enough with his dunking to live up to the hype he created when he said he'd participate.

Samurai Swoosh
Look at this dunk, simple 1 handed dunk but he jumps so high and so far that it's like wow....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/MitchMatch/244r4ib.gif

And a Shannon Brown mix ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjKsyQGFMPo&feature=related

clayton
http://blog.k1x.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/lebron_back.jpg

inclinerator
01-18-2010, 04:35 PM
http://blog.k1x.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/lebron_back.jpg
lol

catzhernandez
01-18-2010, 04:52 PM
People saying that the Dunk Contest is nothing more than a joke these days... Um hello? Don't you get it?? It's a joke because of guys like LeBron. Too good to play in something such as this. The players have ruined it, the league has ruined it. It's nothing more than a gimmick to the league at this point.

But the thing is, Lebron could have changed that. He could have given the Slam Dunk Contest a breath of fresh air, to breath some life into something that's been dying for over 15 years. To bring back the 80's feel of the Jordan/Nique battles. The kinds of things a lot of NBA fans remember for their entire lives.

Ask any 80's hoops fans some memories of 80's NBA, and most of them will include the Dunk Offs on their list, because it holds a spot in everyones heart. Not seeing Dwight Howard in a cape, or Nate Robinson jump off somebody's back.

But no, LeBron again puts himself above anyone, anything, even the integrity of the game. Just ask Joakim Noah.

LeBron thinks he is the game. I just wish somebody would knock him down off his pedestal.

dyna
01-18-2010, 04:55 PM
MVP>>>Dunk Contest Champion

:violin:

kkling
01-18-2010, 04:55 PM

AKA, Lebron isn't doing what I think he should be doing. I can't believe there are people who actually feel this way. :lol

phoenix18
01-18-2010, 04:56 PM
LeBron thinks he is the game. I just wish somebody would knock him down off his pedestal.

I thought Brendan Haywood did that already?

DTD
01-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Lebron isn't scared of Shannon Brown. That's a stupid idea. Why the hell would he be scared of a dunker he already beat ? He just doesn't want to be in it because he feels he's too big for the dunk contest

Shannon Brown actually should have won it in that Mcdonald All-American game, but Shannon was completely robbed. LBJ won it on routine tomahawk dunks, based on his star power even in high school.

It's pretty obvious he wanted some of that shine that Nate and Howard were getting (and we all know he loves attention) so he put his name out there to steal some of that last year. He should own up now, especially since he got the attention/excitement built up about it. He hears Shannon is in, so he is out. Predictable.

No competitive player likes losing, but I get the feeling Lebron gets personally embarrassed if he loses, and wants none of that if it can be avoided.

catzhernandez
01-18-2010, 05:03 PM
AKA, Lebron isn't doing what I think he should be doing. I can't believe there are people who actually feel this way. :lol
You're a joke of a fan. You have no problem with the league being run into mediocrity.

triangleoffense
01-18-2010, 05:05 PM

Dude is a clown.

did someone hack into your account? Smartest thing you've ever said.

MVP>>>Dunk Contest Champion

Finals MVP > MVP
Championship ring > MVP

browntown
01-18-2010, 05:12 PM

Agreed!

kkling
01-18-2010, 05:12 PM
You're a joke of a fan. You have no problem with the league being run into mediocrity.

Whether I enjoy watching dunk contests determines if I'm a fan? haha

catzhernandez
01-18-2010, 05:14 PM
Whether I enjoy watching dunk contests determines if I'm a fan? haha
No your post just shows what you really think of this league, and it's history.

kkling
01-18-2010, 05:16 PM
No your post just shows what you really think of this league, and it's history.

Apparently NBA players themselves don't give a **** either. So what does that make them? Don't put this all on Lebron, how many players are in the league?

Lakers13
01-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Apparently NBA players themselves don't give a **** either. So what does that make them? Don't put this all on Lebron, how many players are in the league?

How many players have Elite Super star status?

gasolina
01-18-2010, 05:33 PM
The dunk contest used to mean something. And it meant a lot. IMO the last great dunk contest was VC's and ironically now that VC's career is winding down I'd say my fondest memory of him is that dunk contest.

Lebron has a chance of bringing back the glory and the intensity that was the dunk contest but doesn't. Another -1 in my book.

Who knows, if Lebron went and won big, maybe the NBA would trash the current format and put the superstars back. Maybe Andre Iguodala and Rudy Gay come back next year to try and dethrone Lebron. All in all, it would be for the better of the dunk contest.

Kblaze8855
01-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Dr.J competed.... and won. MJ competed.... and won. Kobe competed.... and won. Lebron.... didn't even try.

Whether you want to believe it or not, the NBA is alot about heritage and passing the baton. And yes, your resume of accomplishments. Lebron, in a lot of ways, will never be looked at as the rightful heir in that line of succession which started with Dr. J, if he fails to compete in the slam dunk.

In a lot of ways? Give me ONE way other than dunking that he wont be looked at as an "heir". Lebron has done every dunk ive seen some guys win contests with....IN GAMES. Ive seen windmills, 2 hand windmills, through the legs, FT line dunks ive seen him throw it through his legs off the backboard and dunk it in warmups, ive seen him get lobs off the backboard in games....ive seen double pump reverses off lobs...in game.

Hes done better dunks in game than Kobe, Brent Barry, Fred Jones(that way behind his head off the lob dunk aside), Nate Robinson(second time), Kenny Walker and maybe even nique did in contests. The only dunk Nique did in the contest ive not seen Lebron do in game was the head level self lob which it seems few even remember.

But if he doesnt do the same dunks.....in a contest....hes not an "heir" to people whos entire legacy is built off what they did in games? DR.J is the only one of them who even has the dunk contest mentioned when they are discussed and thats because people are too young to remember how great he was as a player.

The dunk contest doesnt do **** for your legacy. Not anymore at least. Kobe won it with dunks Orlando Woolridge topped in 1984 and it was so boring they called the next one off....

If you are a superstar in the height range of 6'5" to 6'8", it is almost a given that you will compete in the Slam Dunk and become King of that event before you can be considered the true King.

Yea...if Lebron retires with 4MVPs, 2 rings, 40,000 points, 12 all nba first teams people are gonna be bringing up the dunk contest as the missing piece of his career. Might knock him from first ballot hall of famer to second.....if the voters are complete ****ing idiots.

Id like him in it too. But im not gonna pretend its more than it is.

Diesel J
01-18-2010, 06:06 PM

Basically:lol

Diesel J
01-18-2010, 06:07 PM
The dunk contest doesnt do **** for your legacy. Not anymore at least. Kobe won it with dunks Orlando Woolridge topped in 1984 and it was so boring they called the next one off....

:roll:

lbj23clutch
01-18-2010, 06:08 PM
In a lot of ways? Give me ONE way other than dunking that he wont be looked at as an "heir". Lebron has done every dunk ive seen some guys win contests with....IN GAMES. Ive seen windmills, 2 hand windmills, through the legs, FT line dunks ive seen him throw it through his legs off the backboard and dunk it in warmups, ive seen him get lobs off the backboard in games....ive seen double pump reverses off lobs...in game.

Hes done better dunks in game than Kobe, Brent Barry, Fred Jones(that way behind his head off the lob dunk aside), Nate Robinson(second time), Kenny Walker and maybe even nique did in contests. The only dunk Nique did in the contest ive not seen Lebron do in game was the head level self lob which it seems few even remember.

But if he doesnt do the same dunks.....in a contest....hes not an "heir" to people whos entire legacy is built off what they did in games? DR.J is the only one of them who even has the dunk contest mentioned when they are discussed and thats because people are too young to remember how great he was as a player.

Yea...if Lebron retires with 4MVPs, 2 rings, 40,000 points, 12 all nba first teams people are gonna be bringing up the dunk contest as the missing piece of his career. Might knock him from first ballot hall of famer to second.....if the voters are complete ****ing idiots.

Real talk. :applause:

nosurrender
01-18-2010, 06:08 PM
The only dunk Nique did in the contest ive not seen Lebron do in game was the head level self lob which it seems few even remember.

can u post a youtube of that i wanna see it thanks

Diesel J
01-18-2010, 06:13 PM

Blaze hitting them with that ETHER as always:lol

madmax
01-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Blaze singlehandedly shutting up all the clowns and Kobe slurpers in this thread:rockon:

oh the horror
01-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Hmm...Ive seen some good in game dunks by Lebron, but perhaps there is some exaggeration going on here.

Anyway, this is just another thing that basically leaves a bad taste in people's mouths concerning Lebron.

No one is "hating" JUST BECAUSE. People are hating because the guy acts like a diva at times.

NBA4EVER
01-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Gilbert Arenas should be in the dunk contest

oh the horror
01-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Blaze singlehandedly shutting up all the clowns and Kobe slurpers in this thread:rockon:

:roll: wtf does Kobe even have to DO with this thread at all?!

macpierce
01-18-2010, 06:23 PM
lebron said he was going to participate.........then he pussied out..........thats all folks

YAWN
01-18-2010, 06:27 PM
So lebron pusses out and we get nate again :banghead:

And kblaze i usually agree with your posts, but lets face it lebron backed out because he is afraid to enter and lose. He is a great power dunker but as far as creativity and style goes..he is average at best. I don't disagree that he could have a handful of dunks that would work for the contest, but he would be relying heavily on the star power bias.

Many of those guys that you mentioned have done much better dunks than lebron outside of the contest..your post was a little misleading.

TheTruth11
01-18-2010, 06:31 PM
One thing about Jordan that nobody can ever take away from him, is that he was NEVER AFRAID TO FAIL. Love him or hate him, that fact can't be denied. MJ, the untimate competitior, took on all comers. Win, lose or draw, MJ never backed away from a challenge.

Lebron is too into Lebron.... and crafting his image. He is getting to be a joke with all the dancing, showboating and sh$t he does. But when it is really time to put up, he shuts up. When it really counts as far as being a true showman (and not just a hip hop dancer), he is nowhere to be found.

Lebron23
01-18-2010, 06:36 PM
I am very disappointed that LeBron never entered the dunk contest. Maybe next year their would be a Superstar dunk contest in the NBA.

CLE[216]
01-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Am I the only Cavs fan that doesn't really care? I mean, I'd like to see him dunk from the top of the key just like the next guy, but at the risk of blowing the entire season, should some stupid injury occur? **** that. Then people would be laughing, saying, "What an idiot! He blew the Cavs shot at a championship over a stupid dunk contest!" The risks far outweigh the benefits.

spursdynasty420
01-18-2010, 06:49 PM
more reasons not to like this guy. all he had to do was showup and not even win. dude is a chump liar

Lebron23
01-18-2010, 06:53 PM
more reasons not to like this guy. all he had to do was showup and not even win. dude is a chump liar

But he's going to put on a highlight reel in the 2010 NBA All Star Game.

smush=mvp!
01-18-2010, 06:54 PM
im sure itll go directly to him even before the dunk contest begins if he enters, simply because he's lebron james, and we know mr. stern loves that name :roll: now it's a fair game up for grabs!

they may not be the best ballers, but watching shannon n gerald dunk is good enough for me!

Luigi
01-18-2010, 06:55 PM

Its not a question about the status of the dunk contest. It's a question about doing what you say. NOT competing in the dunk contest after saying you would has potential to do something to your legacy.

I don't get very involved in individual player stuff, but this shows serious immaturity on the part of James. It's like he couldn't stand other players getting attention for dunking, decided to get some of that attention with an announcement, and then realized he didn't like the idea of having to follow through. People who value the legacy of the contest (rather than the legacy of players) had a bit of hope for a resurgence. Good players lining up to dunk during all star weekend looked like a good thing. Selfishness and attention whoring quashed any chance of that now. This is a mark against James in my book.

DTD
01-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Kobe has nothing to do with this thread, but since you mention him, at least be honest. Lebron has had some ferocious dunks that make him look like an athletic monster, and he dunks with power rarely seen; but to say that he has had better in game dunks than Kobe is a complete farce. In his athletic prime Kobe has had some of the most creative and visually pleasing in-game dunks this game has ever seen. Maybe it's a question of personal appeal (power vs. grace), but Kobe IMO was the better in-game dunker, and it's not even close.

IcanzIIravor
01-18-2010, 06:59 PM
wow i never thought i would see the day that pb is on our side about bron

We just witnessed something that comes around less often than Haley's Comet. :lol

kkling
01-18-2010, 07:05 PM
We just witnessed something that comes around less often than Haley's Comet. :lol

It should tell you how ridiculous you guys are. =p

Kblaze8855
01-18-2010, 07:08 PM
And kblaze i usually agree with your posts, but lets face it lebron backed out because he is afraid to enter and lose.

Yes that may well be it. But im not gonna act like it has one thing to do with basketball. Its a dunk contest. Its not playing basketball. So im not judging a basketball player by willingness to do it. I care as much as I care about a hitter being in the home run derby. If he can hit one to put his team ahead in a real game...what does he have to prove by a guy lobbing balls gently over the plate for hyped up batting practice?

I get the annoying part. I do. He said hed do it. Now he wont. I want him in it. You know Nike would probably make a puppet video on the subject. Lot of predictions. More interest. Be a bigger deal. I love the dunk contest. I love all star weekend.

But im not mad at a guy for not doing a dunk contest and showing me dunks ive already seen him do. If he thinks he doesnt have much to show....let someone who does. Who knows....Demar might win the dunk in and pull a VC with some **** for the ages and id have missed it because Lebron got in on name value alone.

I want to see people who want to be in. I want James White FT line through the legs more than Lebron. I want Joe Alexander to go bang his head on the rim then throw his whole arm in it.

If Lebron feels he wont do anything outstanding...I dont need to see him just because of name value. I want to see the best. Not the best name.

I dont want him taking the spot of someone who feels they have something amazing to show just because hes Lebron James and he can have what he wants.

sixer6ad
01-18-2010, 07:21 PM
This time he earned the hate, saying he was going to compete and then backing out is a ***** move.

What's so cool about it is that he got your silly a-- and all of the other haters to emotionally invest in a topic that is so irrelevant. Everyone would have loved him to enter; however, to actually log into a forum and call him names because he didn't characterizes you and all of the haters as closet lovers of LBJ. I'm getting a kick out of this.
- the no handshake, summer dunk gate, and I ain't dunkin all brought out the hate.
Hate to see it if he does something that is really wrong.

flipogb
01-18-2010, 07:26 PM
']Am I the only Cavs fan that doesn't really care? I mean, I'd like to see him dunk from the top of the key just like the next guy, but at the risk of blowing the entire season, should some stupid injury occur? **** that. Then people would be laughing, saying, "What an idiot! He blew the Cavs shot at a championship over a stupid dunk contest!" The risks far outweigh the benefits.

Dwight entered last year, beat your team and went to the NBA finals.

just saying...

sixer6ad
01-18-2010, 07:26 PM

Lebron is too into Lebron.... and crafting his image. He is getting to be a joke with all the dancing, showboating and sh$t he does. But when it is really time to put up, he shuts up. When it really counts as far as being a true showman (and not just a hip hop dancer), he is nowhere to be found.

Do you think the Detroit fans in '07 would say this when he scored 29 consecutive points in Game 5 of the ECF? How about taking a franchise loaded with Larry Hughes, Eric Snow, Drew Gooden, and Scott Pollard to the Finals? Does that not count as time to put up? How about an entire season when he dominates the league and wins MVP? Winning the MVP is putting up. His numbers, too date, are beyond Jordan's at this point in their careers, and Jordan won his 1st title in his 7th year - where LBJ is right now.

I agree with you; MJ is the greatest of all time. You should have stopped your post right there. To say LBJ has not "put up" is a demonstration of emotional, jaded belief.

YAWN
01-18-2010, 07:29 PM
But he's going to put on a highlight reel in the 2010 NBA All Star Game.

didn't he do that last year during the all star game? had everyone clear the basket a couple of times to throw down a dunk? If he does that again this year then it makes even less sense that hes not doing the actual dunk contest.

Doo Doo_Brown
01-18-2010, 07:37 PM

It definitely won't do anything for Lebron's legacy if he loses! :banana:

Jordan is a legend partly because of what he did in those dunk contests. That free throw line dunk in 88 has got to be one of the most publicized dunks in NBA history IMO. Even scrubs are remembered for what they did in the dunk contest. Dee Brown... remember him?

DTD
01-18-2010, 07:46 PM
It definitely won't do anything for Lebron's legacy if he loses! :banana:

Jordan is a legend partly because of what he did in those dunk contests. That free throw line dunk in 88 has got to be one of the most publicized dunks in NBA history IMO. Even scrubs are remembered for what they did in the dunk contest. Dee Brown... remember him?

Great dunk by MJ, and memorable for the photo with his body contortion in mid-air; but like Woolridge in '84 with the between the legs dunk (even though he did it very slow from the baseline), Dr. J did the free-throw dunk 3 years earlier in 1985 when he was a 35 year OLD man. Not as graceful as MJ's, but still very nice.

Players learn from those before them, MJ included.

oh the horror
01-18-2010, 08:02 PM
So Nate is in the dunk contest again? I predict this fool gets LOW scores....NO ONE WANTS TO SEE THIS GUY AGAIN.

OneMoreSucka
01-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Seriously what else can Nate do? He's exhausted his options by now.

Solid Snake
01-18-2010, 09:06 PM

Not missing the dunks would be a start.

Pharcyde
01-18-2010, 09:34 PM
He's an attention whore that could have had even more attention by going in the dunk contest, but decided not to?

RaceBannana
01-18-2010, 09:36 PM

Dunking over currys player option..... imagine that.... "where is your ***king king?, IM YOUR KING!!!!"

Jello
01-18-2010, 09:43 PM
I was just watching when he announced it and he said he is "Preliminarily putting my name in the 2010 dunk contest." Key word, "Prelimiarily." Meaning he wasn't guaranteeing it.

That said, I am disappointed in this move by him. If he is going to bring that much attention to himself with such a strong statement (though not a guarantee), I feel he owes this to the fans unless he has a really good excuse. I haven't heard an excuse yet, but I'm guessing he simply didn't want to compete in it due to the lack of big names in it. As it is without big names, people in the future would say either "He lost to a nobody" or "He won, but was against a bunch of nobodies." Forget that guys like Shannon Brown and Derozan are actually good dunkers, because they simply aren't big names that bring lots of glamor to the contest. So again, he didn't lie, and I can understand him not wanting to do it, but after his comments at last year's contest, I feel he owes it to us fans.
Stupidest thing I've read today. Preliminarily doesn't mean what you think Lebron implied. Lebron's a *****.

amfirst
01-18-2010, 09:45 PM
He's afraid to lose to Shannon Brown.

rosonviyavong
01-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Not suprised but why the hell does Derozan have to do a dunk-in to get into the contest? :ohwell: ..I really want Nate Robinson to just get last place and never come back to the contest ever again plz nd thanks

GollyImSoGully
01-18-2010, 10:02 PM
He's an attention whore that could have had even more attention by going in the dunk contest, but decided not to?

You're beyond stupid. He did it for attention knowing damn well he didn't want to participate.

JustinJDW
01-18-2010, 11:09 PM

I remember last year when he announced it, and everyone got all crazy and excited for it. Turns out he was just an attention whore. Very disappointed.

Pharcyde
01-18-2010, 11:32 PM
You're beyond stupid. He did it for attention knowing damn well he didn't want to participate.

But wouldn't he get more attention by participating which is his ultimate goal according to you?

G-train
01-19-2010, 12:00 AM
So has Lebron released a statement on this or said anything yet?

sbw19
01-19-2010, 12:10 AM
So has Lebron released a statement on this or said anything yet?

Nothing so far, and it'll likely be the typical I wanted to give them youngsters a chance to participate excuse.

gasolina
01-19-2010, 12:11 AM
Yet you don't see anything on ESPN on Lebron not backing his word. What a ****fest ESPN has become

Lakers13
01-19-2010, 12:13 AM
Nothing so far, and it'll likely be the typical I wanted to give them youngsters a chance to participate excuse.

That would be hilarious considering he is 25 :oldlol:

Crash
01-19-2010, 12:27 AM
so weak. the greats before him won it, get in and put your stamp on it.

Cant win the big one, wont go in the dunk contest. BSPN wants no part of the fact that he said he was in and backed out.

WEAK.

xtn5021
01-19-2010, 01:21 AM
LeFalse James...

Susie89
01-19-2010, 01:53 AM
nails care (http://www.nailcare-tips.com/)
Currently the Insanity Workout DVD is one of the most trendy workouts you can purchase online. The innovative dreams behind the insanity workout calendar (http://www.insanityworkoutschedule.org/) Workout come from a gentleman called Shaun T.

Whether P90X Workout Calendars (http://www.mygogowebs.com/) you want to lose that gut, get ripped like never before or you want to outperform everyone else on the field, track or court, there is a

P90X Workout Schedule (http://www.p90xworkoutscheduletoday.com/) program for you. Which one will you choose? Leave your comments below and let us know!

hwliuLAP
01-19-2010, 02:08 AM

lets face it blaze, give me a good reason why he wouldn't do it, because I didn't hear anything. The best argument that could be made about is that if he wins all the other awards such as MVPs and all nba first teams that it would not diminish his role in basketball history. But that doesn't give any explanation how winning the dunk contest would not simply ADD ON to his legacy if like you said, he's done all those dunks in games.

So again, I don't think people can explain why he backed out, or simply say it was a good or smart move that he backed out by saying " it wouldn't affect his legacy" because last I heard, this guy named Lebron was talking sh!t last year, and had he not said anything, people wouldn't even have the opportunity to burn him. But it just shows that he talks and he isn't willing to back it up.

Enlight me, how is this a good decision after making an announcement last year? Because it wouldn't "hurt his accomplishment?

Because I know it definitely won't help, whether it hurts him or not......

YAWN
01-19-2010, 02:09 AM
But wouldn't he get more attention by participating which is his ultimate goal according to you?

risk vs reward

KAJ=GOAT
01-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Big deal.

He is not an exciting dunker at all in comparison to the types of dunks we've seen.

But, he shouldn't act like the attention whore he is by saying hes going to commit to something and then back out.

Also remember,

he doesn't have the power to confiscate the tapes this time when somebody does a better dunk.

nolebball
01-19-2010, 02:18 AM

lol that's ridiculous.

It sucks that Robinson is back honestly.

TheTruth11
01-19-2010, 03:44 AM
lol that's ridiculous.

It sucks that Robinson is back honestly.

It hurts his street cred bro. His street cred.

And street cred is not all about scoring titles or MVP trophys. Ask cats in NY..... ask cats in Chicago.... ask cats in LA.... street cred is something different all together. Lebron has it but it is not at the level of other greats. And it is not at the level of other greats (Dr.J, Jordan, Kobe) who competed in the slam dunk contest. He is a pre-packaged, image conscious attention whore. And as long as he keeps ducking out of the slam dunk, he will never be viewed as a truly elite competitor. Elite athlete? Yes. Elite competitor? No.

Guys at the barber shop today were talking about how Lebron is scared.... Lebron is a faker.... Lebron is a phony.... and on and on it went. You will be surprised how brothers view the slam dunk, the tradition of it, and the heritage of it. Dating all the way back to Dr. J, the truly great ones are supposed to compete in it and win it. But even if he couldn't win, just compete.... that still would have helped his street cred. But now? He looks like he is running. He looks like he is scared. People don't respect that. Don't believe it? Read back through this thread.

Lebron23
01-19-2010, 03:47 AM

And street cred is not all about scoring titles or MVP trophys. Ask cats in NY..... ask cats in Chicago.... ask cats in LA.... street cred is something different all together. Lebron has it but it is not at the level of other greats. And it is not at the level of other greats (Dr.J, Jordan, Kobe) who competed in the slam dunk contest. He is a pre-packaged, image conscious attention whore. And as long as he keeps ducking out of the slam dunk, he will never be viewed as a truly elite competitor. Elite athlete? Yes. Elite competitor? No.

Guys at the barber shop today were talking about how Lebron is scared.... Lebron is a faker.... Lebron is a phony.... and on and on it went. You will be surprised how brothers view the slam dunk, the tradition of it, and the heritage of it. Dating all the way back to Dr. J, the truly great ones are supposed to compete in it and win it. But even if he couldn't win, just compete.... that still would have helped his street cred. But now? He looks like he is running. He looks like he is scared. People don't respect that. Don't believe it? Read back through this thread.

He can still participate in the 2011 NBA Dunk Contest.

Love to see him beat Dwight Howard in the Finals.

Samurai Swoosh
01-19-2010, 03:50 AM
Ultimately I don't care ... cause its just a dunk contest.

I'll take in game dunks with meaning and context against competition all day over creativity in a dunk contest.

And LeBron shines as one of the BEST in game dunkers of all time.

Lebron23
01-19-2010, 03:54 AM
LeBron should talk to Commissioner Stern. I love to see him replace Nate Robinson in the dunk contest.

He already beaten Shannon Brown in the HS Dunk Contest. He can beat him in the NBA Dunk Contest.

Lakers13
01-19-2010, 04:21 AM
Heres ESPN's spin on it

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/allstar2010/news/story?id=4836464

Cerebral Jedi
01-19-2010, 04:45 AM
Big deal.
he doesn't have the power to confiscate the tapes this time when somebody does a better dunk.
+1
Nike lawyers told him it would be impossible for them to confiscate all video footage if/when he got embarassed in the dunk contest.

Samurai Swoosh
01-19-2010, 04:47 AM
+1
Nike lawyers told him it would be impossible for them to confiscate all video footage if/when he got embarassed in the dunk contest.
That dunk wasn't even that special. And it wasn't even really on LeBron. I think LeBron came late on some help defense or something. It wasn't near as emberassing as it was made out to sound.

lilbeastnani
01-19-2010, 04:47 AM
This kind of stuff is what I love to hear:

Brown, on the other hand, is thrilled to be included.

"I'm super excited," he told ESPNLosAngeles.com's Dave McMenamin. "I'd like to say thank you to everybody that campaigned for me, everybody that voted for me, everybody that had my back this whole time. It's going to be something to watch. It's going to be a great time.

"I'm headed to the drawing board now. I got a couple ideas in my head. I'm not going to give them away."

I hate the fact that Lebron feels like he's too big for the dunk contest.. And that his ego doesn't want to allow him to enter a competition with a legit possibility of losing.

YAWN
01-19-2010, 05:14 AM
LeBron shines as one of the BEST in game dunkers of all time.

you forgot the white text? :confusedshrug:

strifed169
01-19-2010, 05:15 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2605/3726239808_1a75a9d4d6.jpg

TryToBeUnbias
01-19-2010, 05:40 AM
LeBron should talk to Commissioner Stern. I love to see him replace Nate Robinson in the dunk contest.

He already beaten Shannon Brown in the HS Dunk Contest. He can beat him in the NBA Dunk Contest.
He should have lost

Gundress
01-19-2010, 06:08 AM
Nate Robinson back in and Faker Bron James backed out?

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7659/11a9949149debb63bac569a.gif (http://img130.imageshack.us/i/11a9949149debb63bac569a.gif/)

sbw19
01-19-2010, 08:57 AM
Fact or fiction: Bron will participate in the dunk contest before his career is over?

Rake2204
01-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Like most posters, I'd very much prefer having LeBron James enter this years' dunk contest instead of a 4th run from Nate Robinson. In all honesty I had tired of Robinson's dunks after his 2nd appearance. However, I do like that he is pulling for Terrence Williams if a replacement is needed. Williams would add a lot to this contest.

kkling
01-19-2010, 11:28 AM
you forgot the white text? :confusedshrug:

Lebron isn't one of the great in game dunkers?

crisoner
01-19-2010, 11:32 AM
I was really looking forward to LeBron being in the dunk contest.
Thanks for nothing !!! Oh well...I get to root for Cannon Brown now!

kkling
01-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Only Skip thinks Lebron is in the wrong on 1st and 10. Huge surprise there.

nolebball
01-19-2010, 12:22 PM

:rolleyes: really? Because if LeBron ends up winning 3 NBA Championships, no one in their god damn right mind is going to think, "Damn, it's a shame he didn't do that Dunk Contest. LeBron's not even that good now. I never really respected him despite his incredible numbers and 3 rings. But Nate Robinson on the other hand? LEGEND." Maybe LeBron doesn't have it at the levels of Erving, Jordan, and Bryant because he's been in the NBA for 7 years. Or because he hasn't won an NBA Championship. Anyone with any sense of respect or care for basketball, will pick an NBA Championship over a Dunk Contest. If "cats in NY, Chicago, or LA" think otherwise, than they are ****ing retarded.

That dunk wasn't even that special. And it wasn't even really on LeBron. I think LeBron came late on some help defense or something. It wasn't near as emberassing as it was made out to sound.

Just because LeBron was in help D, doesn't mean it wasn't on him. LeBron jumped to contest, missed, had plenty of contact. It was on him, it was two hands, it was aggressive. It was a good poster. http://ebaumnation.com/2009/07/22/jordan-crawford-dunks-on-lebron-james

You are all being incredibly delusional if LeBron backing out surprises you, especially considering his competition. This isn't Dwight Howard, this isn't Kobe, this isn't Vince, hell this isn't Jason Richardson. This is Gerald Wallace, Shannon Brown, and Nate Robinson. Dunk contest nobodies. The only one with any experience is Robinson, with two wins, but every single one of you here know that his **** is tainted. None of you respect Robinson for his 50+ attempts against Iggy, especially since Iggy's dunks were flatout better.
None of you (with any sense) respect him for his win over Howard, which consisted of that horrible jump off Chandler's back, and an alleyoop windmill that JR Smith did 2 dunks before that was world's better than Robinson's. Nate shouldn't have even been in the final round. LeBron backed out because this has no star power. If he beat up on little ol Nate, past his dunking prime Gerald Wallace, and small time Shannon Brown, all of you would have been saying it didn't mean ****. MJ went up against Dominique, Erving, and Drexler. Erving went up against MJ and Nance. It's not LeBron's fault every other star in the NBA doesn't give a **** about the dunk contest.

Mikaiel
01-19-2010, 12:29 PM
You are all being incredibly delusional if LeBron backing out surprises you, especially considering his competition. This isn't Dwight Howard, this isn't Kobe, this isn't Vince, hell this isn't Jason Richardson. This is Gerald Wallace, Shannon Brown, and Nate Robinson. Dunk contest nobodies.

But if LeBron had said yes, I'm sure other big names would have followed.

nolebball
01-19-2010, 12:34 PM
But if LeBron had said yes, I'm sure other big names would have followed.

Like Gerald Green, Jamario Moon, Rudy Gay, JR Smith, Rudy Fernandez, and Robinson followed Dwight? Oh wait...

gasolina
01-19-2010, 12:53 PM
It doesn't matter what Lebron may or may not think.

What matters is what he did.

FACT - Lebron announced right after last years dunk contest that he's preliminary putting his name in.

OPINION - Lebron had no reason to get interviewed. Which makes me think that he intentionally pulled a reporter so he could make his announcement.

FACT - Preliminary does not mean "maybe". Preliminary means that he wants to put his name in there even before he "officially" could.

FACT - Lebron did not make good on his word.

I don't care what his reason is or not. He did not have to make that interview back then if he wasn't sure. Fact is, nobody has to make an announcement on National TV that he is entering the dunk competition 1 year before it actually happening.

sbw19
01-19-2010, 01:38 PM
It doesn't matter what Lebron may or may not think.

What matters is what he did.

FACT - Lebron announced right after last years dunk contest that he's preliminary putting his name in.

OPINION - Lebron had no reason to get interviewed. Which makes me think that he intentionally pulled a reporter so he could make his announcement.

FACT - Preliminary does not mean "maybe". Preliminary means that he wants to put his name in there even before he "officially" could.

FACT - Lebron did not make good on his word.

I don't care what his reason is or not. He did not have to make that interview back then if he wasn't sure. Fact is, nobody has to make an announcement on National TV that he is entering the dunk competition 1 year before it actually happening.
Well... let's relive the announcement moment one more time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5FU1ieHIT4

That happened BEFORE the announcement of the winner of last year's contest, Bron might have had it in his mind Dwight would be the winner he'd go up against this year which obviously didn't happen.

Hate his inflated ego, but totally understand his decision not to participate after Howard (a superstar and a rival, unlike Nate) lost.

gasolina
01-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Bron might have had it in his mind Dwight would be the winner he'd go up against this year which obviously didn't happen.
Well if that's what's in his mind then the more reason not to talk about next year's dunk contest when there is a competition going on.

I really want to know what's his reason for backing down.

DukeDelonte13
01-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Well if that's what's in his mind then the more reason not to talk about next year's dunk contest when there is a competition going on.

I really want to know what's his reason for backing down.

Because Stern is scheduled to inject him with super steroids at that time....