PDA

View Full Version : Bulking up for Basketball

MannyO
01-25-2010, 06:14 PM
I want to gain weight because I feel it will help me become a better scorer and rebounder. The thing is I don't want to lose my athletic ability.

Im 5'11 and 140lbs(lost a few pounds with all the running during the season)

So this offseason I want to bulk up maybe like 10 more lbs. The thing is I don't want to lose any of the athletic ability I have(speed, vertical jump, quickness, etc.) and I think I can sacrifice my aerobic exercises.

My favorite undersized guards (Jonny Flynn, Ty Lawson, Chris Paul and so on) all are about 5'10-11 but weigh 160+.

Im a Junior in HS and next year is my final season playing HS ball I want to be productive and I think this will help.

Maga_1
01-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Today i thought about that too .. I'm 5'9 with 138 pounds, (i look like Ricky Rubio) and i want to gain weight too without losing all the skills that you said.
Some people tell me, it's all about the alimentation or your rotine .. i don't know.

MannyO
01-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Today i thought about that too .. I'm 5'9 with 138 pounds, (i look like Ricky Rubio) and i want to gain weight too without losing all the skills that you said.
Some people tell me, it's all about the alimentation or your rotine .. i don't know.

oh snap u do look alot like Ricky lol. Yea gaining weight will help but I just need a way to do it without ruining my athleticism. Also when tryouts come again I want to be in great shape but still maintain the weight.

mjkittredge
01-25-2010, 08:57 PM
I'd say in addition to weight lifting, do some flexibility training too. It takes a while for muscle to become a hindrance - obviously you don't see bodybuilder size guys playing in college or the NBA, all huge and hulking like those worlds strongest man competitions or olympics weight lifters. That body type isn't conducive to basketball, because in basketball speed and mobility are critical. Thing is, it takes years and years to reach that level. A few months of weight lifting will give you some modest gains and IMPROVE your athletic ability. Few years of weight lifting consistently, you could start getting too bulky and musclebound, lose quickness, not be able to jump as high. Maybe not though. Different people and different workout styles produce different results.

Look at NBA players - most are lean but quite strong - best balance of lightness and power. Check out on youtube or something the NBA players routines, basketball specific exercises.

MannyO
01-25-2010, 09:19 PM
I'd say in addition to weight lifting, do some flexibility training too. It takes a while for muscle to become a hindrance - obviously you don't see bodybuilder size guys playing in college or the NBA, all huge and hulking like those worlds strongest man competitions or olympics weight lifters. That body type isn't conducive to basketball, because in basketball speed and mobility are critical. Thing is, it takes years and years to reach that level. A few months of weight lifting will give you some modest gains and IMPROVE your athletic ability. Few years of weight lifting consistently, you could start getting too bulky and musclebound, lose quickness, not be able to jump as high. Maybe not though. Different people and different workout styles produce different results.

Look at NBA players - most are lean but quite strong - best balance of lightness and power. Check out on youtube or something the NBA players routines, basketball specific exercises.

thats true but look at guys like jonny flynn ty lawson and chris paul. All around 5-10 but they weight like 185+ and still are very quick and have crazy hops, athletic ability. I just want it like that not to be a bodybuilder.

mjkittredge
01-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Nutrition is key, getting enough protein and calories and vitamins can help you bulk up. Maybe some specific muscle groups should get more attention. Legs of course are critical, and I've heard triceps help a lot with shooting too.

Maga_1
01-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Nutrition is key, getting enough protein and calories and vitamins can help you bulk up. Maybe some specific muscle groups should get more attention. Legs of course are critical, and I've heard triceps help a lot with shooting too.

Hummm , nice tip thanks

MannyO
01-25-2010, 10:10 PM
The legs account for a lot of bodyweight and I think maybe the back or chest not sure.

Swaggin916
01-25-2010, 11:22 PM
5'11 140... you could stand to gain about 40 pounds man. Cornerbacks have to be even more fluid in their movements than ball players and they are about 5'10 185 or so (Some bigger than that).

Listen, you are not going to look anything like a bodybuilder unless you take a bunch of supplements and/or steroids. Anybody who looks bigger than a person should be is almost guaranteed to be taking something. I have been weight training for 7 years and if you saw me you wouldn't think I was too big (and I train hard 5 days a week I'm not just someone who doesn't know what he is doing.)... it may be bigger than what you want but you won't think I look like a bodybuilder... So don't worry about that. Plus, once you are satisfied, you can start working out less and simply maintain where you are. Don't do less reps to tone... that doesn't do anything but train a bunch of slow twitch fibers and it doesn't make you more ripped. IMO you should only do light weight if you are coming back from injury... otherwise heavy weight and more heavy weight.

A few months of weight lifting will give you some modest gains and IMPROVE your athletic ability

Yes this is so true. Obviously your legs are key. What you want, is maximum strength without being too heavy. Many guys are 160 pounds yet can squat 400+... that is where you want to be. You want to be strong as bull but not muscular too where you start getting tight. Like you mentioned, guys like Flynn, Nate Robinson, J Nelson... They are all around 185 pounds and they move around just fine. They are world class athletes so don't get it twisted and think that you can be just like that... you have to find your zone... but it just goes to show that it can be done.

Whatever you do though you have to be consistent. Too many times I have heard you say you haven't been to the gym in weeks... you might as well just do nothing if that's going to continue to be the case.

Maga_1
01-26-2010, 12:34 AM
I would like to see someone making a plan to do in the gym .. but i guess it's too hard and to boring to make it.

Timmy D for MVP
01-26-2010, 01:28 AM
Dayum! I though I was skinny!

It depends on the excersises you're doing. I mean if you're just doing maximum gain stuff then yeah you may lose some agility. However if you do body area specific workouts for things that you want to improve on I don;t think you'll gain too much.

However even if you do maximum gain workouts it takes a large amount of time to build up muscle to the point of it being a hinderence.

One thing you can do is supplement your lifting with other excersies to imrove flexability and balance. Guys like Tiger did that to have both massive gain and great flexability.

Zak
01-26-2010, 01:55 AM
I need to both bulk up and get more flexible badly lol

mjkittredge
01-26-2010, 03:49 AM
Plan to do at the gym? Sure.

Start off by having a good meal with protein and carbohydrates and take a multi-vitamin, also drink a glass or two of water. Then give your stomach an hour or so to rest before you start at the gym. Warm up for about 10 minutes on the treadmill, doing laps jogging, jumping rope, or play basketball at a brisk pace. The goal of warming up is to get your heart rate increased to pump more blood, your veins enlarged to deliver more blood to the muscles faster, and to get your tendons and muscles limber which decreases the risk of injury. If your gym has weight machines like Nautilus or Hammer Strength, use those. Start with the leg machines (my favorite is the leg press). Set the weight high enough so you can only do about 8 to 12 repetitions, and make sure you really squeeze out the last rep with all your energy, achieving muscle failure is key to making gains. After your workout, your body needs protein, make sure you get plenty shortly after. Give your muscles a days rest in between, then go back in again the day after. Once you can do more than 12 reps, increase the weight.

If you don't have access to a gym, learn some moves with free weights. They are pretty cheap, but if you can't get them, you can use a milk jug filled with water or other big container or heavy object with a handle.

djsmkb8
01-26-2010, 04:53 AM
5'11 140... you could stand to gain about 40 pounds man. Cornerbacks have to be even more fluid in their movements than ball players and they are about 5'10 185 or so (Some bigger than that).

Listen, you are not going to look anything like a bodybuilder unless you take a bunch of supplements and/or steroids. Anybody who looks bigger than a person should be is almost guaranteed to be taking something. I have been weight training for 7 years and if you saw me you wouldn't think I was too big (and I train hard 5 days a week I'm not just someone who doesn't know what he is doing.)... it may be bigger than what you want but you won't think I look like a bodybuilder... So don't worry about that. Plus, once you are satisfied, you can start working out less and simply maintain where you are. Don't do less reps to tone... that doesn't do anything but train a bunch of slow twitch fibers and it doesn't make you more ripped. IMO you should only do light weight if you are coming back from injury... otherwise heavy weight and more heavy weight.

Yes this is so true. Obviously your legs are key. What you want, is maximum strength without being too heavy. Many guys are 160 pounds yet can squat 400+... that is where you want to be. You want to be strong as bull but not muscular too where you start getting tight. Like you mentioned, guys like Flynn, Nate Robinson, J Nelson... They are all around 185 pounds and they move around just fine. They are world class athletes so don't get it twisted and think that you can be just like that... you have to find your zone... but it just goes to show that it can be done.

Whatever you do though you have to be consistent. Too many times I have heard you say you haven't been to the gym in weeks... you might as well just do nothing if that's going to continue to be the case.

Great advice. As an athlete, you should look to get as strong as possible while remaining relatively light. Strength to weight ratio is key. Whatever size comes with getting stronger is fine, but don't worry too much about getting bigger. Low reps, higher sets would be great, but a basic 3x5 routine on the squat is very good too. Just remember to constantly try to progress. If you can do 185lbs for 3x5, then next workout, try maybe 195lbs and stick with that until you can get that for 3x5. Not necessarily the most ideal setup, but it'll work out for you great. I'm personally a big fan of Reggie Bush because of his athleticism. He's about 205lbs and squats 550lbs. That's more then a 2.5xbw squat, and he's considered "small". He also has a 4.3 40yard dash and 40.5 inch vertical.
Again, along with being consistent, you have to be progressing too. Always push yourself and you'll get results.

Maga_1
01-26-2010, 05:43 AM
Plan to do at the gym? Sure.

Start off by having a good meal with protein and carbohydrates and take a multi-vitamin, also drink a glass or two of water. Then give your stomach an hour or so to rest before you start at the gym. Warm up for about 10 minutes on the treadmill, doing laps jogging, jumping rope, or play basketball at a brisk pace. The goal of warming up is to get your heart rate increased to pump more blood, your veins enlarged to deliver more blood to the muscles faster, and to get your tendons and muscles limber which decreases the risk of injury. If your gym has weight machines like Nautilus or Hammer Strength, use those. Start with the leg machines (my favorite is the leg press). Set the weight high enough so you can only do about 8 to 12 repetitions, and make sure you really squeeze out the last rep with all your energy, achieving muscle failure is key to making gains. After your workout, your body needs protein, make sure you get plenty shortly after. Give your muscles a days rest in between, then go back in again the day after. Once you can do more than 12 reps, increase the weight.

If you don't have access to a gym, learn some moves with free weights. They are pretty cheap, but if you can't get them, you can use a milk jug filled with water or other big container or heavy object with a handle.

WOW, thanks for the help,
But, just that?

I need 2 things..

- Increase my vertical, 5'9 (27 inches of vertical i guess)
- Gain height, i'm 138 right now.

NY-Knicks
01-26-2010, 11:17 AM
WOW, thanks for the help,
But, just that?

I need 2 things..

- Increase my vertical, 5'9 (27 inches of vertical i guess)
- Gain height, i'm 138 right now.

Check out the "Need some help guys" thread. I discussed the vertical jump and upper body strength with Swaggin and he gave me some great advice.
There is probably all the information you need.

Maga_1
01-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Check out the "Need some help guys" thread. I discussed the vertical jump and upper body strength with Swaggin and he gave me some great advice.
There is probably all the information you need.

I'll check it, thanks

Euroball5
01-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Yeah I'm trying to bulk and I'm taking a weight gainer supplement on the days i work out. I would recommend you and anyone who wants to bulk to take one too.

ABPrints
01-26-2010, 02:24 PM
How old are you? Don't gain weight for the sake of gaining weight. As stated, focus on clean eating and getting enough calories, and working on the court and in the weight room. "dead" weight will only hinder your basketball progress.

Example- two people with the same amount of strength/power, one weighs 140, the other 150- who jumps higher? who is quicker? who runs faster/accelerates?

Let it come "naturally" through those things mentioned. Weight gainer shakes are not needed, if you are young, whole nutritious natural foods are the way to go.

Automajic23
01-26-2010, 04:05 PM
I would like to see someone making a plan to do in the gym .. but i guess it's too hard and to boring to make it.

i did this a while back, ill try and find the thread

edit***
See this thread: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138938
me and suprageex put up our workout programs

ABPrints
01-26-2010, 04:25 PM

As a performance coach I will say that it is pretty hard to do over the internet. not boring, but need specifics on the person. In any case, a generalized program is not the best, but better than nothing. The programs in the linked thread above aren't too bad, maybe too much single joint stuff and slightly high on the volume. I would imagine most here are very young, 13-17 years old, inexpereinced in weights but play a lot of ball. Therefore they will make quick gains, but need to watch volume due to recovery and the amount of pounding they take on the court. Another issue is techique and mechanics of lifts.

Automajic23
01-26-2010, 05:08 PM
As a performance coach I will say that it is pretty hard to do over the internet. not boring, but need specifics on the person. In any case, a generalized program is not the best, but better than nothing. The programs in the linked thread above aren't too bad, maybe too much single joint stuff and slightly high on the volume. I would imagine most here are very young, 13-17 years old, inexpereinced in weights but play a lot of ball. Therefore they will make quick gains, but need to watch volume due to recovery and the amount of pounding they take on the court. Another issue is techique and mechanics of lifts.

true, sorry im 24. You're right though, my previous workout listed above is a bit high on the reps. I should revise it for proper use. I should also direct in how you want to be lifting (slow/resistance/focus lifting vs power/explosive lifting) Will do something about this when I get the chance

MannyO
01-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Im 16 years old. I workout a lot like when im at home I used to do 200 pushups a day, run stairs, pull ups, squats, dynamic stretching. This is because I just don't have access to a gym as of right now but I am dedicated. I don't mind putting on some fat because when the preseason/season come around I would have ran every last bit of fat off my body. Besides when you build muscle you gain fat regardless.

I WOULD LOVE TO GAIN 40lbs by the beginning off next season but the thing is how can I do so while playing basketball frequently and not losing to much athleticism. My friend that went to hempstead was 5'9" 195lbs and was dunking like it was as simple as breathing. He would get to the rim at will because he was quick as lightning and could run you out of his way. I envy his ability to be doing that at his size.

The weight room exercises I think help gain weight are:
Bench Press
Deadlifts
Squats (unfortunately my school doesn't have it)
DB Rows

I just need a good routine to follow.

Maga_1
01-26-2010, 08:38 PM

If you were avaliable, i could send my specifics (all that you wany) and you cold help me ..
But i guess it's too much work.

Swaggin916
01-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Im 16 years old. I workout a lot like when im at home I used to do 200 pushups a day, run stairs, pull ups, squats, dynamic stretching. This is because I just don't have access to a gym as of right now but I am dedicated. I don't mind putting on some fat because when the preseason/season come around I would have ran every last bit of fat off my body. Besides when you build muscle you gain fat regardless.

I WOULD LOVE TO GAIN 40lbs by the beginning off next season but the thing is how can I do so while playing basketball frequently and not losing to much athleticism. My friend that went to hempstead was 5'9" 195lbs and was dunking like it was as simple as breathing. He would get to the rim at will because he was quick as lightning and could run you out of his way. I envy his ability to be doing that at his size.

Bench Press
Deadlifts
DB Rows

And Military Press with either Dumbells or Barbells. Also, weighted pullups are great back exercise for putting on size and weight (Or body weight pullups if you can't do 10) . All of those exercises are multi-joint and will give you your best gains.

Besides when you build muscle you gain fat regardless.

While this isn't necessarily true, for the most part you do have to be willing to put on a little fat if you want to make quick gains. By quick I mean a 4-5 months quick... not a couple weeks quick like most people want but can't have. Your muscles are going to need a lot of nutrients/energy aka calories when building and you won't be doing a whole lot of cardio (if you are trying to do it the right way) so because of the extra calories you will gain weight. After 4 or 5 months though you can cut back some on the calories and you will really start losing fat because of the extra calorie burning muscle you packed on.

Or, you can just continue to do what you are doing and start lifting. It won't be as effective or as fast acting, but it will work especially since some of you guys have so much room to build.

Lancerballer21
01-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Im trying to gain weight to and so far i have been somewhat successful. I lift twice a week after school (Monday's upper body/Thursday's lower body) and afterwards i drink monster milk (45g's of protein) and i have increased my food intake by a ton. It is working considering when i started doing this in mid november i was 155lbs (at 6'5" that is sickly skinny) to now 170lbs (had a week when i was sick and i lost 5-10 lbs so i think i would be more). Now i haven't been doing much running or speed drills but i haven't noticed much of a difference in those things at my indoor soccer games. My goal is to be 185-190 by next bball season...Does that sound good for a 6'5" maybe 6'6" big man?

Euroball5
01-27-2010, 03:11 AM
Your workout program should consist of mainly compound exercices.

Swaggin916
01-27-2010, 04:09 AM
Im trying to gain weight to and so far i have been somewhat successful. I lift twice a week after school (Monday's upper body/Thursday's lower body) and afterwards i drink monster milk (45g's of protein) and i have increased my food intake by a ton. It is working considering when i started doing this in mid november i was 155lbs (at 6'5" that is sickly skinny) to now 170lbs (had a week when i was sick and i lost 5-10 lbs so i think i would be more). Now i haven't been doing much running or speed drills but i haven't noticed much of a difference in those things at my indoor soccer games. My goal is to be 185-190 by next bball season...Does that sound good for a 6'5" maybe 6'6" big man?

You ought to be at least 200 man. Kobe is pretty thin these days but still runs at about 205/210 and you guys are about the same height... So yea try to get up to 200. Obviously you want that weight to be lean though.

You have to work out more than 1 day a week for upper body though if you really want to put on weight. You should be in the gym 5 days a week working out different muscle groups and not bunching them all together. 1 day for lower body is fine. Hey at least you are getting in there and being consistent... that's a good thing.

Euroball5
01-27-2010, 06:34 AM
How old are you? Don't gain weight for the sake of gaining weight. As stated, focus on clean eating and getting enough calories, and working on the court and in the weight room. "dead" weight will only hinder your basketball progress.

Example- two people with the same amount of strength/power, one weighs 140, the other 150- who jumps higher? who is quicker? who runs faster/accelerates?

Let it come "naturally" through those things mentioned. Weight gainer shakes are not needed, if you are young, whole nutritious natural foods are the way to go.
Why shouldn't somebody young take a weight gainer supplement ?

ABPrints
01-27-2010, 02:29 PM
If you were avaliable, i could send my specifics (all that you wany) and you cold help me ..
But i guess it's too much work.

I'll send you a PM soon.

ABPrints
01-27-2010, 02:38 PM

I had a big message typed that got lost just now.

so I will sum up by saying, youth should learn to eat whole natural foods before trying to take shortcuts with products that noone really knows what exactly is in it. Except for the manufacturer themselves. Financially, the $40+ used on weight gainer could be used for a lot of whole foods that are much better for the body. Also I assume by weight gainer, one does not mean protein powder, I personally am a little more lax on protein shakes, but not much. I think most people hurt their on court performance by trying to haphazardly attempting to gain weight in any way possible.

BTW, the suggestion on mostly compound exercises is great. I agree wholeheartedly.

Swaggin916
01-27-2010, 02:47 PM

Weight Gainer is protein powder packed with carbs. There is nothing wrong with taking a weight gainer. Whole foods are great... but 800-1,000 calories (which is what most weight gainers run per shake) isn't the easiest to scarf down when it comes to eating them. It's much easier to consume the calories via weight gainer and it's a helluva lot more convenient... Not only that, but the whey protein you get from powders is the best for muscle growth and development.

ABPrints
01-27-2010, 02:53 PM

Bench Press
Deadlifts
DB Rows

At 16 years old, I assume no formal gym training, I would do two things, one focus on overall body balance, this will reduce/hopefully prevent future injury. Such as was recommended pullups, 200 push ups is kinda alot, but ok you were doing them, need to balance that out with some back training, the back and posterior chain is your stability both on the court and in the weight room. You can still do squats, bodyweight and dumbell squats are quite fine replacements and alternates of barbell squat.

Your 5'9" friend sounds like someone that si out of the norm. I have seem it too, older guys with spare tires around the midsection slamming down, very mentally frustrating, but not everyone is alike. Need to focus on what is going to make you a better baller, not why they are. Good luck

I think the weight gain seems to be ok, about 8 pounds a month average. As you get a little heavier it will probably level off a bit, and I think 190 or so is fine. As long as the training and on court ability doesn't suffer.

ABPrints
01-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Weight Gainer is protein powder packed with carbs. There is nothing wrong with taking a weight gainer. Whole foods are great... but 800-1,000 calories (which is what most weight gainers run per shake) isn't the easiest to scarf down when it comes to eating them. It's much easier to consume the calories via weight gainer and it's a helluva lot more convenient... Not only that, but the whey protein you get from powders is the best for muscle growth and development.

That was a point I forgot to explain, time issues. Especially with high schoolers, limited time and ability during and after school. Also limited ability to eat correctly during that time, and probably parents with limited time to cook and prepare meals that are what one needs.

Powders- convienent, yes.....the best option for youth, no.....are there other options avaliable for them, yes but it will require research and preperation on thier part.

I wouldn't call powders the BEST, but that is why I am a little lax on protein itself as opposed to products that advertise as "weight gainers" as sometimes they are the easy way out for those that absolutely have tried everything or absolutely don't have spare time, or even a car to get access to regular food.

MannyO
01-27-2010, 06:24 PM
I DEFINITELY need the weight gain supplement for a number of reasons.

Where can I buy them?
If I do a workout with only pushups pull ups and squats then take the supplement do I still gain the weight along with muscle mass.

I do have some weight lifting experience its not like I haven't lifted before. I have been weight training ever since I turned 15 (but nothing too serious just for basketball) so I know the exercises that will help me. I need some workouts and routines to gain the weight while staying active (playing basketball) not sure anybody has come up with such a workout though.

Swaggin916
01-27-2010, 06:56 PM
You can buy them at GNC or pretty much any other nutrition store. Just ask for a weight gainer... they are all pretty much the same and most of them taste good.

It will still work even though you are limited. Start thinking outside the box a lil bit and maybe start on a plyometric pushup routine... Those are better for building power and strength than regular pushups. Also, one legged squats (Pistols) are great as well and chances are you can't do very many of them so they are great for power (and that's what you want considering you are trying to gain weight).

Obv. if you had gym access and could do a wider variety of exercises it would work better... but it still ought to work. As long as you are playing basketball getting that cardio in you should stay lean... but recognize that will make gaining weight more difficult as well.

ABPrints
01-27-2010, 07:11 PM
You can buy them at GNC or pretty much any other nutrition store. Just ask for a weight gainer... they are all pretty much the same and most of them taste good.

It will still work even though you are limited. Start thinking outside the box a lil bit and maybe start on a plyometric pushup routine... Those are better for building power and strength than regular pushups. Also, one legged squats (Pistols) are great as well and chances are you can't do very many of them so they are great for power (and that's what you want considering you are trying to gain weight).

Obv. if you had gym access and could do a wider variety of exercises it would work better... but it still ought to work. As long as you are playing basketball getting that cardio in you should stay lean... but recognize that will make gaining weight more difficult as well.

I am going to go a bit further and say if you are thinking of using supplements, I would suggest Optimum Nutrition. They are a bit more accurate IMO as to what is in their product and IF my athletes touch any type of supplement it is most likely going to be from them.

I agree with swaggin, those are three basic moves, I would add a lounge type movement or step up, or single leg deadlift reach just for another posterior chain activity.

Swaggin916
01-27-2010, 10:43 PM
You mean you wouldn't recommend Muscletech products? :lol

Euroball5
01-28-2010, 06:03 AM
So would would you guys agree with this upperbody workout to go along with vjb bodyweight program?

DB rows 5x5
DB floor press 5x5
DB shoulder press 5x5

would just that be enough or should i add these isolation exercises as well:

DB tricep extension 5x5
DB curl 5x5
DB wrist curl 5x5

With a weigth gainer supplement(1000 calories) which i definetly need because there's no way I can get 3000+ calories everyday with my schedule

Otherwise what would you change/add ?(sets and reps?)

MannyO
01-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Also I have another question...

Do you gain weight as you get older? Im talking about like 16-21 years old.

Euroball5
01-28-2010, 11:38 AM
Also I have another question...

Do you gain weight as you get older? Im talking about like 16-21 years old.
Usually yes as long as you eat properly if you're still in puberty.

ABPrints
01-28-2010, 12:45 PM
So would would you guys agree with this upperbody workout to go along with vjb bodyweight program?

DB rows 5x5
DB floor press 5x5
DB shoulder press 5x5

would just that be enough or should i add these isolation exercises as well:

DB tricep extension 5x5
DB curl 5x5
DB wrist curl 5x5

With a weigth gainer supplement(1000 calories) which i definetly need because there's no way I can get 3000+ calories everyday with my schedule

Otherwise what would you change/add ?(sets and reps?)

I assume that floor presses are chest press/bench presses?

I would presonally change the isolation exercises, if you must do them to a 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps as oppesed to a 5x5.

Euroball5
01-28-2010, 02:32 PM
I assume that floor presses are chest press/bench presses?

I would presonally change the isolation exercises, if you must do them to a 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps as oppesed to a 5x5.
Floor press is a bench press on the floor.
Ok I'll do 3x8 but just to know why should i change it ?
So should i do all the exercises i mentioned or ust the compound ones?and are there any other exercices i should add/remove

Al3aZeF
01-28-2010, 03:46 PM

agree, like Serious Mass ON, Pro Compex Gainer ON are the best to gain weigh and muscle as well.

ABPrints
01-28-2010, 04:32 PM
agree, like Serious Mass ON, Pro Compex Gainer ON are the best to gain weigh and muscle as well.

Ultimately because of this. Protein and macro recommendations are set for healthy adults, not the bodies of constantly changing youth. So what is the correct intake for a young one? Kids dont' sit down and write out macro intake, they think in terms of "what should or where should I eat today". Therefor eit is my opinion that kids should just focus on bringing in natural calories and not those manufacted in a plant somewhere. If it is found that a kid absolutely is not getting the intake they should, then add a good well made protein pwoder, but IMO, not those labeled "weight gainer" too many empty calories and junk.

ABPrints
01-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Floor press is a bench press on the floor.
Ok I'll do 3x8 but just to know why should i change it ?
So should i do all the exercises i mentioned or ust the compound ones?and are there any other exercices i should add/remove

You can honestly do what you feel you need to, but IMO, it comes down to time. 5x5 for single joint movements is a waste IMO. I don't see a problem with using all those exercises you have listed, but if it were me, I would say go hard and safely heavy on those compuund movements in a 5x5 scheme, then round out the program day with the single joints in a lower volume higher rep way.

Swaggin916
01-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Well you should keep the 5X5 with the compound movements. What you are looking for there is power and 5 reps with heavy weight will give you that. I would try to go extra heavy on that last set and see if I can get 5... if you only get 3 or 4 just keep trying until you get 5. Good decision to use DB's btw... They are so much easier on your joints than barbell (Barbell bench is the absolute worst for your shoulder joints btw... I have messed up my shoulder and chest doing it and it's developed into pain in other joints as well).

Like AB said, you don't want to do that few reps on the iso movements. 8-12 reps is good with those and yes do them after the compound movements. Hit triceps after chest, biceps after back, and traps after shoulders. You can add those wrist curls if you want after Biceps but your forearms get a workout from everything that you do so they really aren't necessary... Be sure to get traps in though. DB and cable shrugs are great. You can also use a barbell too or anything else that you can shrug with. Also, make you sure you hit abs and lower back as well... Do them a couple times a week 4-6 sets for both of them per workout. I like to superset them personally to save time.

So there you go... 3 days a week hitting every muscle and then VJB for 2 and 2 days off. Great program.

ABPrints
01-28-2010, 07:43 PM
And just to add here, something I will be suggesting to Maga1, is IMO, keep the ab movement exercises to a low repetition. Really focus on abdominal/core stability. This is targeted in exercises such as the deadlift and squat, but also in isolation with lying front bridges, side bridges and rehab type movements such as bird dogs. Google them. These are fun and hard because you do them for time. So increasing a hold from 30 seconds to 60 seconds over a few weeks and you can really tell a difference.

Euroball5
01-29-2010, 02:36 AM
Well you should keep the 5X5 with the compound movements. What you are looking for there is power and 5 reps with heavy weight will give you that. I would try to go extra heavy on that last set and see if I can get 5... if you only get 3 or 4 just keep trying until you get 5. Good decision to use DB's btw... They are so much easier on your joints than barbell (Barbell bench is the absolute worst for your shoulder joints btw... I have messed up my shoulder and chest doing it and it's developed into pain in other joints as well).

Like AB said, you don't want to do that few reps on the iso movements. 8-12 reps is good with those and yes do them after the compound movements. Hit triceps after chest, biceps after back, and traps after shoulders. You can add those wrist curls if you want after Biceps but your forearms get a workout from everything that you do so they really aren't necessary... Be sure to get traps in though. DB and cable shrugs are great. You can also use a barbell too or anything else that you can shrug with. Also, make you sure you hit abs and lower back as well... Do them a couple times a week 4-6 sets for both of them per workout. I like to superset them personally to save time.

So there you go... 3 days a week hitting every muscle and then VJB for 2 and 2 days off. Great program.
Ok so my workout:
DB floor press 5x5
DB rows 5x5
DB shoulder press 5x5
DB curls 3x8
DB tricep exension 3x8
DB shrugs 3x8

I'll be doing it 2 times a week along with 2 team practices a week and 2 vjb days a week.I'll take a weeks rest every 2 weeks.

Thanks for the help guys.:cheers:

Swaggin916
01-29-2010, 04:03 AM
Ok so my workout:
DB floor press 5x5
DB rows 5x5
DB shoulder press 5x5
DB curls 3x8
DB tricep exension 3x8
DB shrugs 3x8

I'll be doing it 2 times a week along with 2 team practices a week and 2 vjb days a week.I'll take a weeks rest every 2 weeks.

Thanks for the help guys.:cheers:

Sounds great man that is a great program. Feel free to take some sets off of the VJB tho... with the 2 team practices all the sets in the VJB may be a little too much. It's up to you but I would probably reduce every exercise by one set... so if you have 4 sets of switching lunges maybe only do 3. Week 1 and 4 usually unload weeks tho and don't have many sets so those are fine to keep the way they are. Let us know how it's working out man.

MannyO
01-29-2010, 11:05 AM
I think my only exercises for now will be pullups supersetted with pushups. These seem to do the job for building size and maybe weight. I will also do squats and squat bounces just to keep my legs active.

Automajic23
01-29-2010, 12:06 PM
I think my only exercises for now will be pullups supersetted with pushups. These seem to do the job for building size and maybe weight. I will also do squats and squat bounces just to keep my legs active.

the workouts i have previously posted made me stronger for sure. Maybe I was running ball way too much and it ate into the calories i needed to see my gains.

Honestly for the last 3 months, I have cut down on basketball to 3x a week and my workouts every other day have narrowed down to this:

4 sets of pull ups (15,13,10,8) varying the grips
4 sets of crunches (10reg/10side/10reg/10side/10reg) 50 total
4 sets of pushups (75,65,50,40) wide/normal stance
3 sets of pushups (25) diamond stance (for triceps)
3 sets of db curls 30lb (12)
3 sets of lateral raises 25lb (10)
3 sets of side bends holding a 25lb (30)
3 sets of wall sits (1:30)
3 sets of Machine guns (1:00); the rapid tippy toe drill

when i don't hit the gym (which is usually 2 days during the week) I do these @ home. I have 3 different weights of dumbbells, that's it. Just buy doing these I have seen gains physically (chest is bigger, arms are defining, obliques and abs are starting to come out when i do sidebends).

So yeah Manny, you can get by with tons of pushups situps and pullups :hammerhead: . I will say though I'm nowhere near the athleticism I had in 2008 when i was hitting the gym hard everyday

Whiteness
01-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Something huge that I think is overlooked for basketball workouts is pivoting. I was terrible at pivoting and redirected movements for a really long time. Try going and doing the hip abduction and hip adduction machine at your gym.

It's the one where you sit down and make a V with your legs and either squeeze in or pull apart.

It really helped me as far as quick, sporadic movement goes (i.e. abrupt change of possession). It's not going to help you gain any weight really, but I have noted increased stability and burst speed.

Other than that, heavy on the legs, core, and moderate upperbody... and stretchhhhhhhh... always

Swaggin916
01-30-2010, 12:59 AM
Something huge that I think is overlooked for basketball workouts is pivoting. I was terrible at pivoting and redirected movements for a really long time. Try going and doing the hip abduction and hip adduction machine at your gym.

It's the one where you sit down and make a V with your legs and either squeeze in or pull apart.

It really helped me as far as quick, sporadic movement goes (i.e. abrupt change of possession). It's not going to help you gain any weight really, but I have noted increased stability and burst speed.

Other than that, heavy on the legs, core, and moderate upperbody... and stretchhhhhhhh... always

Yes in the bold. That is how you want to do it for basketball unless you want the advantage of having a strong upper body for driving in the line or getting boards. Some people don't move as well with a lot of upper body weight though so it just depends on your body and how it reacts.

The abductor and adductor also help prevent knee and hamstring injuries because your leg strength is more balanced. They are going to get worked out no matter what you do with legs but those really focus on them. I definitely recommend doing those as well.

MannyO
01-30-2010, 08:57 PM
My plan for now is just to eat foods like pasta and such that are high in carbs. I think my problem is that I am eating too many empty calories. My friend is like 6'0-1 and he is 180lbs. The thing is he looks like he is 130lbs like what the hell?? Maybe because of what he eats.

Whiteness
01-30-2010, 09:27 PM
My plan for now is just to eat foods like pasta and such that are high in carbs. I think my problem is that I am eating too many empty calories. My friend is like 6'0-1 and he is 180lbs. The thing is he looks like he is 130lbs like what the hell?? Maybe because of what he eats.

protein, brah, protein

MannyO
01-30-2010, 11:08 PM
protein, brah, protein

proteins are important I know but they aren't everything. Carbs probably helps more with gaining weight.

Whiteness
01-31-2010, 12:03 AM
proteins are important I know but they aren't everything. Carbs probably helps more with gaining weight.

9 times outta 10 that weight's gonna turn into fat, though. I'd rather not gain fat and turn it into muscle, when you could just gain muscle. If you're trying to bulk I suggest doing a 40/20/20 ratio which is basically 40 (protein) 20 (carb) 20 (fat) and it's easily achieved through the use of protein shakes.

Swaggin916
01-31-2010, 12:58 AM

It's most likely weight from bones... Maybe he is large boned, has a big butt (that you haven't checked out lol), large feet and /or hands... those are things that contribute to having a higher weight.

9 times outta 10 that weight's gonna turn into fat, though. I'd rather not gain fat and turn it into muscle, when you could just gain muscle. If you're trying to bulk I suggest doing a 40/20/20 ratio which is basically 40 (protein) 20 (carb) 20 (fat) and it's easily achieved through the use of protein shakes.

Calories are calories no matter how you look at it. When you are playing a sport like basketball and doing heavy compound lifts like Manny will be doing he needs a lot of carbs. Explosive movements burn carbs before they burn anything else so he will be fine. Besides, a 40/20/20 is a rigid program (That is more for cutting anyway) that most people won't like and it's expensive because you need to drink so many shakes just to get your protein intake for the day.

Pasta is great for what you are doing because it's digested and absorbed into the blood steam very quickly. It's debatable whether it's a simple or complex carb (generally you want complex carbs because they are very healthy for you) but there is enough evidence to support that it is complex and a good option regaurdless if your goal is gain, lose, or simply manage weight.

montaownedu
01-31-2010, 01:53 AM
DB floor press 5x5
DB rows 5x5
DB shoulder press 5x5
DB curls 3x8
DB tricep exension 3x8
DB shrugs 3x8

Would it be alright to do this workout 3 times a week, or would I not be allowing enough recovery time?

Swaggin916
01-31-2010, 04:07 AM
DB floor press 5x5
DB rows 5x5
DB shoulder press 5x5
DB curls 3x8
DB tricep exension 3x8
DB shrugs 3x8

Would it be alright to do this workout 3 times a week, or would I not be allowing enough recovery time?

Well he isn't doing all that per workout. He is doing 2 exercises per workout... and the answer is no you would not be giving yourself enough time to recover. Since it's low volume, you can probably get away with 4 days of rest in between body parts. So if you do DB floor press and tricep extensions on Monday, you want to wait until Saturday before you do those exercises/work out those muscle groups again.

ABPrints
01-31-2010, 09:10 AM

Do you mean 40/30/30? Cause that equals 100:D . The only issue is with people here that play a lot of hoops, they need energy. If someone uses this type of layout and feels a bit tired over time, I would try a Zone Diet like breakdown with 40CHO, 30PRO and 30Fat. I do not worry about carbs being stored as fat with active individuals. Someone that gets to the gym 3 hours or so a week, and this is all the activity they have, then yes, it could be an issue.

MannyO
01-31-2010, 11:40 AM
It's most likely weight from bones... Maybe he is large boned, has a big butt (that you haven't checked out lol), large feet and /or hands... those are things that contribute to having a higher weight.

Calories are calories no matter how you look at it. When you are playing a sport like basketball and doing heavy compound lifts like Manny will be doing he needs a lot of carbs. Explosive movements burn carbs before they burn anything else so he will be fine. Besides, a 40/20/20 is a rigid program (That is more for cutting anyway) that most people won't like and it's expensive because you need to drink so many shakes just to get your protein intake for the day.

Pasta is great for what you are doing because it's digested and absorbed into the blood steam very quickly. It's debatable whether it's a simple or complex carb (generally you want complex carbs because they are very healthy for you) but there is enough evidence to support that it is complex and a good option regaurdless if your goal is gain, lose, or simply manage weight.

Yea true, maybe he is large boned but I think I have found out his secret. He eats foods that are high in calories but nutrition dense. And he plays alot of ball so he stays lean but he is weighs alot. He is athletic too. Im going to start eating ALOT of fufu from now on lol.

Whiteness
01-31-2010, 12:53 PM

+1 I have been bested. The only real reason I put that ratio up is because it's the one I use.

Don't listen to me. Swag actually knows his stuff :oldlol:

montaownedu
01-31-2010, 01:53 PM
Hey Swaggin, so I want to start a workout that is geared towards basketball, though I am not currently playing so I'm not restricted by practices or games or anything like that right now. I am 21, and currently taking a semester off from school. Next year though I am looking to tryout for the team at my D3 school so I really want to get in the best shape possible. I will have gym access, but also access to a wide array of dumbbells and an adjustable bench at home, which I would prefer to use for my upper body. For lower body stuff, I'm going to be using this plan:

http://freetoflyy.blogspot.com/2009/09/vertical-jump-program-beginner.html

I'm going to start on "Beginner B" and go from there. It seems like this guy knows his stuff, and that it should definitely help with my vertical, but also with just lower body strength as well. Clearly you know a lot about this stuff, so if you wouldn't mind taking a look at it and letting me know what you think, I would appreciate it.

I'm also kind of lost on exactly what dumbbell exercises I should be doing for my upper body. I have plenty of time to workout every day, and I would definitely like to get strong in my upper body, but I also don't want to get too bulky. I'm going to be doing the lower body program 3 times a week, what would be a good workout plan for my upper body on the other 3 days? I want to do all this now, and then when May/June rolls around and my friends start coming home for the summer and I can play basketball all the time again, then I will get more into cardio and basketball specific stuff, but for now I really just want to get stronger and increase my vertical. I'm 6'3 180, and I can currently dunk, just nothing too fancy. Thanks a ton for your help. It's really cool how much you're helping everybody out.

Swaggin916
01-31-2010, 03:08 PM
I forget that guy's name... but the guy who does the free to fly stuff is a very reliable source and someone you can trust. Just by looking at his dunks and the progress his trainee has made... that pretty much speaks for itself. The beginner program will not give you the results that one of the more advanced programs with weight training will... but it's a good start for you. If it doesn't give you a good 2 inches within the first month, just stop and move on to one of his weight training programs. You will be guaranteed to gain 3-4 inches in a month or 2 with on of them.

Ok so I am going to give you my workout schedule because I also work out upper body 3 times a week and it sounds like you are looking for some quick gains. Don't worry about getting too big, you won't. I am about the size of Jameer Nelson myself (without the thick neck lol) and I have been working out for years.

Ok so here is the program:

Day 1: Chest/Triceps

Chest:

DB Bench Press: 5X5 - Just start out with a warmup weight. Something you can easily do 5 times... but not so easy that you could throw them up to the ceiling if you wanted to lol. Something that if you did 10-15 times would be hard. Then, on your second set, go upto weight that is moderately difficult for you to get 5 reps of, 3rd set it should be difficult, 4th set quite difficult, and 5th set you shouldn't be able to get 5 reps but that should be your goal. Once you get 5 reps on your 5th set you should move up weight. That last set should now be your 4th set, and your 5th set a heavier weight (As well as sets 1-3... every set should be heavier than before as you move up weight).

Incline dumbbell flies: 4X10 - Just find a weight that you can do 8-10 times for 4 sets.

Triceps:

Skullcrushers: 4X8-10 - same as above

Tricep Pull Downs with a bar or rope: 4X10 - same as above

Day 2: Back/traps

Back:

Pull ups/DB Rows: 4X?/4X8 - I don't know how many pullups you can do, but just do what you can for 4 sets. Since I can do 4 sets of 10, I use a belt to add 25 pounds more weight so I can only do about 6 reps per set. If you are in the same boat, look for a belt you can use to add weight... if you can't find one in your gym then don't worry about it. Just do 4X10 or whatever makes you tired. DB Rows, find a weight you can you can do for about 8 reps. What you are going to do is swap between these exercises each week. So week 1, do pullups, week 2, do DB Rows.

Seated cable rows: 4X10 - Simple exercise. Find a weight you can do 10 times

Traps:

DB Shrugs: 4X10

Barbell or Cable Shrugs: 4X10 (There is also a contraption as most gyms that is great for shrugs... can't really explain it if you know what I'm talking about feel free to do that in place of DB shrugs or Barbell Shrugs)

Day 3: Shoulders - Follow this the exact same way as you followed the chest workout. So the 5X5 thing

Shoulders:

Seated DB Shoulder Press - 5X5

Standing Lateral raise - 4X10

Biceps:

Seated preacher curls: 4X8-10

Standing DB curls: 4X8-10

Alright so there you go. Doing that for the next few months should give you some awesome gains. Once you get closer to try-outs, then focus on your conditioning. I'm sure you know that tho ; )

montaownedu
01-31-2010, 08:55 PM
That looks great man, easy and simple, yet hopefully effective! I know I said it before, but I really appreciate what you're doing and I hope everyone else here does as well. You don't have to take the time or the effort to share your knowledge, yet you seem to be doing it time after time whenever anyone asks. I should be starting tomorrow, so i'll check in here from time to time and let you know how it's going.

I'm pretty sure I have a good grip on dietary stuff, but let me know what you think. I should be able to stick to this pretty well.

Breakfast: Protein Smoothie. 1 Cup frozen Strawberries/Blueberries, 1 Cup Orange Juice, 1 scoop of whey protein.

Meal 1: Turkey Sandwich on wheat. Sugar Free, 10 Calorie Jello. Water to drink.

Meal 2: Small plate of whole wheat pasta. Water to drink

Meal 3: Post workout- Protein Smoothie, same as earlier in the day.

Dinner: Chicken or Steak. Glass of 1% Milk. Jello again.

I'll also probably eat the occasional pack of 100 calorie packs of cookies or something like that, cause I don't think that should really throw anything off if I do that but I'm eating really well otherwise. I also tend to eat fries with my dinner, and I know I should really change that to a baked a potato, so I'm definitely going to start trying to do that. I feel like I have a pretty good program to be on here, so now it's just about staying motivated.

Swaggin916
01-31-2010, 09:34 PM
No problem man. I just want to see people succeed.

Looks like a pretty good nutrition program. Make sure you get some veggies in there too if you don't already. Just throw some in with dinner and you'll be good. Yea I would definitely switch to a baked potato. Don't load it up with butter because otherwise you might as well stick with fries, but some butter is fine. Salt and pepper goes a long way too. I eat little snack packs too when I get hungry and I'm sick of eating truly healthy food. They're empty calories, but yea one a day isn't going to kill you. Staying motivated is the key. IT's much easier to stay motivated to the workouts than the diets... but diet as you know is very important. Keep up the good work and yea let us know how you are doing.

MannyO
02-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Hey swaggin do you know how much percent of your bodyweight are in your legs?

Lets say I workout my back(pull ups and stuff) do I get bigger? Do I begin to weigh more because I herd the back is the second biggest muscle group.

Swaggin916
02-01-2010, 10:28 PM

Lets say I workout my back(pull ups and stuff) do I get bigger? Do I begin to weigh more because I herd the back is the second biggest muscle group.

Depends on how long your legs are... If you are Michael Phelps then they are probably lighter than your torso :lol

It also depends on body fat and muscle. I would say for an average person it's probably close to 50-50. Your legs have a lot of muscle, but your upper body has more bones, organs, food storage... So yea... just seems like it would be about even to me.

Yes you would gain weight/size if you are gaining muscle and strength.

ABPrints
02-01-2010, 10:38 PM

Both legs (full leg, not just thigh) together make up an estimated 30% of ones bodyweight.

Swaggin916
02-02-2010, 05:23 AM
Well what about that thing in between your legs? I don't know about you guys but uh... :pimp:

Ha well ya learn something new everyday. The more I started thinking about it the more I thought your torso had to way significantly more than your legs. I googled it but nothing really came up so I was kind of in the dark :lol

Young Simba
02-02-2010, 09:18 PM
10 pounds isnt much, if you're gaining them the right way. just stay in shape and you should be fine

Lancerballer21
02-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Hey Swaggin, what percent body fat is good for an athlete. I have never gotten an official body fat percentage but last year some guy at my moms work had an informal thing (not 100% accurate but it was supposedly pretty close) and it said i was 4.4% body fat. Now i have gained a good amount of weight (like 20 to 30 lbs) and some height (bout 2 to 3 inches) since then so i bet it has changed a little, but not much.

Maize'N'Blue
02-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Hey Swaggin, what percent body fat is good for an athlete. I have never gotten an official body fat percentage but last year some guy at my moms work had an informal thing (not 100% accurate but it was supposedly pretty close) and it said i was 4.4% body fat. Now i have gained a good amount of weight (like 20 to 30 lbs) and some height (bout 2 to 3 inches) since then so i bet it has changed a little, but not much.

The insane guys on Ninja Warrior usually have body fat % of around 4, so you're either in very good shape or something got effed up.

ABPrints
02-03-2010, 09:15 PM

4 % is pretty low. The male body needs at least 3% or so. SO you at the time were teetering close to that. A male athelte IMO should be around 7-14%, maybe 12% but with the american diet nowadays and the nutritional level of our food falling off the charts, I'll be good with 14% depending on persons overall composition and sport/position.

Having a little extra is not always a bad thing, as the game gets into the latter stages or overtime, the body can tap into that fuel source for energy that may not otherwise be avaliable in super lean people (not saying those lean people couldn't last though)

Swaggin916
02-04-2010, 12:43 AM
Yea a guy like Dejaun Blair is an energy guy and he has around 12%. I'd still think under 10% would have more benefits though because you aren't carrying around that extra weight. I think 8% is a great place to be. 8% fat you will be ripped but not at a point where you have to worry about internal organs getting messed up if you get nailed in the gut lol. 4% is ridiculously low.

Aaron Brooks clocked in at 2.7 though coming out of Oregon tho :eek: and he seems to be doing alright lol. Man WTF tho I mean I know he is always running around but good lord his metabolism must have an unquenchable thirst for calories lol.

MannyO
02-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Yea a guy like Dejaun Blair is an energy guy and he has around 12%. I'd still think under 10% would have more benefits though because you aren't carrying around that extra weight. I think 8% is a great place to be. 8% fat you will be ripped but not at a point where you have to worry about internal organs getting messed up if you get nailed in the gut lol. 4% is ridiculously low.

Aaron Brooks clocked in at 2.7 though coming out of Oregon tho :eek: and he seems to be doing alright lol. Man WTF tho I mean I know he is always running around but good lord his metabolism must have an unquenchable thirst for calories lol.

2.7!?!?! thats crazy but kind of reminds me of my metabolism, extremely high.

Lancerballer21
02-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Yeah well everyone in my family has wicked fast metabolisms when my dad was my age he was 6'3" and 150lbs, and right now im 6'5" and about 170-175lbs