PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XIII

bdreason
02-11-2010, 12:34 AM
****** POSSIBLE PLOT SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD *****
*********** READ AT YOUR OWN RISK **************

I'm really looking forward to this game. I'm not even a fan of the Final Fantasy series, but I just need something different. It seems like every game that comes out these days is the same; First Person Shooter or Hack and Slash Action game. I try to play games like MW2 and Bayonetta.. but it just feels like the same ole shyt I've done a million times (probably because it is).

Anyway, I've been looking up some reviews on the Japanese version of FF XIII, and it looks really cool. It's been a long time since I played a Japanese turn-based RPG, so I can't wait.

Here is a decent clip of the gameplay from the already released Japanese version:

edit: Possible SPOILER footage if you speak Japanese or know the FF series!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl70cpytwRw

Clocian-IGN
02-11-2010, 07:19 AM
Can't wait for this game. I've been waiting for a new FF this generation for the longest and it looks like it's gonna be a blast. People who imported the japanese version are comparing this to FFX and complaining about it being "linear" but I for one loved FFX, and as long as the story and gameplay is great(which I hear they are) then I'm set. Did I mention that this is probably the best looking PS3 game based on just the trailers released!?

gasolina
02-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Can't wait for this game. I've been waiting for a new FF this generation for the longest and it looks like it's gonna be a blast. People who imported the japanese version are comparing this to FFX and complaining about it being "linear" but I for one loved FFX, and as long as the story and gameplay is great(which I hear they are) then I'm set. Did I mention that this is probably the best looking PS3 game based on just the trailers released!?

In all fairness, FFX was VERY linear and in my opinion, had one of the least interesting characters in Tidus.

I'm still gonna pre-order the game. Can't wait to play it. I need some JRPG fix. I haven't played a decent one since FF12 and Rogue Galaxy.

Perhaps a lot of RPG heads will go to this thread... Is Star Ocean the Last Hope a good enough game?

Clocian-IGN
02-11-2010, 09:40 AM
In all fairness, FFX was VERY linear and in my opinion, had one of the least interesting characters in Tidus.

I'm still gonna pre-order the game. Can't wait to play it. I need some JRPG fix. I haven't played a decent one since FF12 and Rogue Galaxy.

Perhaps a lot of RPG heads will go to this thread... Is Star Ocean the Last Hope a good enough game?

FF12 was terrible story/character wise. If it wasn't for the gameplay I'd return it the day I bought it lol. I loved star ocean 4, a lot of people didn't like it but I'm a JRPG nut so.....

gasolina
02-11-2010, 12:12 PM
FF12 was terrible story/character wise. If it wasn't for the gameplay I'd return it the day I bought it lol. I loved star ocean 4, a lot of people didn't like it but I'm a JRPG nut so.....

I see that you mean. I would like the story to have Balthier and his playboy bunny. I read somewhere that the main character was supposed to be Basch but they felt he was too "manly" so decided it be Vaan.

IMO if you're wearing green shorts to battle then you could use some more "man" in you.

Well FFXIII comes out in a few days. I'll just wait for it rather than Star Ocean INternational. But if if there came a shortage in games I'll definitely give Star Ocean a try.

How about White Knight Chronicles? Have you played it?

Clocian-IGN
02-11-2010, 12:16 PM
haven't played WKC but pretty much I hear JRPG nuts love it, and JRPG haters hate it...

glidedrxlr22
02-11-2010, 12:47 PM
I haven't played a Final Fantasy game in forever? Once they got all cutsceney, I lost interest. The combat system sounds interesting. Will this game have online multiplayer?

gasolina
02-11-2010, 03:11 PM
I haven't played a Final Fantasy game in forever? Once they got all cutsceney, I lost interest. The combat system sounds interesting. Will this game have online multiplayer?

Really? I thought FFXIII would be something you'd definitely play.

If you wanna complain about cutscenes then take a peek at FF8. Now that was just pushing it. Endless Rinoa / Squall crap in the final 2 discs.

I wish they'd make a remake of FF6

Clocian-IGN
02-11-2010, 03:13 PM

no online, that's FFXIV which is scheduled to be released later this year. It's a MMORPG like WoW anf FFXI

bdreason
02-11-2010, 04:30 PM
I haven't played a FF game since Nintendo I think. I assumed they were all linear these days... or certainly not a sandbox game like many MMORPG's today try to be.

Personally, I prefer sandbox games... but there is really only one good (true) sandbox game on the market today (Darkfall), and I don't mind a linear game if it has a good story.

bdreason
02-12-2010, 12:58 AM
I'm watching Spurs vs. Nugs right now, and the announcer just said, "The NBA All-Star game, brought to you by Final Fantasy 8...".

Apparently nobody taught him Roman Numerals!

artex
02-12-2010, 01:13 AM
I'm watching Spurs vs. Nugs right now, and the announcer just said, "The NBA All-Star game, brought to you by Final Fantasy 8...".

Apparently nobody taught him Roman Numerals!

lol

man, i can't wait for this game. all i've been playing is kingdom hearts 1 and 2 + ff9 over and over again, which is completelyyyyy fine by me, but ff13 will hopefully bring an exciting change of scenery.

Whiteness
02-12-2010, 08:38 AM
lol

man, i can't wait for this game. all i've been playing is kingdom hearts 1 and 2 + ff9 over and over again, which is completelyyyyy fine by me, but ff13 will hopefully bring an exciting change of scenery.
9 was exceptional... 8 is still my fave... I had a boner for the gunblade :confusedshrug:

and I'm not sure if this has been posted before or not but hi-yo!!!!

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2010/02/xbox-360-gets-final-fantasy-xiii-special-bundle/1

that's right... FF on 360

Clocian-IGN
02-12-2010, 10:02 AM
9 was exceptional... 8 is still my fave... I had a boner for the gunblade :confusedshrug:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2010/02/xbox-360-gets-final-fantasy-xiii-special-bundle/1

360 gonna have compressed sound, video and be on 3 discs though :violin:. Would suck if one of those discs don't work like disc 3 of my lost odyseey copy :mad:.

PS3 ftw :rockon:

kaktus14
02-12-2010, 01:36 PM

8 ruled,I really enjoyed playing and collecting cards,spent more time on that then on actuall plot line:pimp:

And Squall was the man:pimp:

artex
02-12-2010, 01:49 PM

the retarded cutscenes in ff8 made me want to barf, it was still a great game though. for me its ff9, ff7, kh1, kh2

360 gonna have compressed sound, video and be on 3 discs though :violin:. Would suck if one of those discs don't work like disc 3 of my lost odyseey copy :mad:.

PS3 ftw :rockon:

3 discs????? laaaaaaame.

ff13 was built from the ground up for the ps3, and it'll be using 100% of the ps3's power. can't waittttt

Swaggin916
02-17-2010, 03:27 AM

8 was the first I played so there will always be a special place in my heart for it.

I like Cloud and Squall and how introverted they were... I loved the whole feel of 9 it was just fun. FFX Yuna just kind of pissed me off I don't know lol... but Wakka and Auron were the ish and I loved that all 7 characters had a big part. If it wasn't so easy to rape in blitzball that would have been really fun. The gameplay in XII was my fav... love it and can't get enough of it at times lol... Story was just whack tho and I was never too interested really... it was sort of hard to follow too.

XIII better be pretty tight cus I'm buying a PS3 for it... Gonna be like a 400 dollar purchase right there with tax. I don't like how the main character is a girl tho... It should always be a guy IMO. Nothing against girls... but who else just got sick of them after X-2? Ughh I could never fully enjoy that game because of it... that and it just wasn't very good lol. The one thing that is good about having a girl be the main character tho is that we shouldn't see that helpless beezy who constantly whines about trying to keep up with everyone and always ends up causing problems. Rinoa in FF8 pissed me off so much with that and in the Legend of Dragoon (which if you haven't played you should be shot) Shana was soooo bad at that. Nothing I can't get over... but I'd rather it not be there.

gasolina
02-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Wait so nobody here has played final fantasy 6? Man I feel old

shadow
02-18-2010, 01:15 AM

don't worry you're not alone. I've also played 4 and 5. Never played the first 3 though.

Qwyjibo
02-18-2010, 01:30 AM
It was the best one.

phoenix18
02-18-2010, 11:27 AM

I played 7. They should have stopped there. Is 13 games really necessary?

No to mention all the other games that were spinoffs.

Final Fantasy is an oxymoron.

Clocian-IGN
02-18-2010, 05:49 PM
ff6 is overrated. ff7 - ffx were far superior imo. I loved XI too but that's a MMORPG so I didn't include it.

Xenogears is the god RPG though, no rpg will beat that epicness.

Kensta
02-19-2010, 02:22 PM
I played 7. They should have stopped there. Is 13 games really necessary?

No to mention all the other games that were spinoffs.

Final Fantasy is an oxymoron.

13 games is not a lot. How many "Mario" games are out there? Should they stop making games too?

Final Fantasy is not really an oxymoron cause each game is a new story with new characters except FFX-FFX2.

gasolina
02-20-2010, 04:47 AM
ff6 is overrated. ff7 - ffx were far superior imo. I loved XI too but that's a MMORPG so I didn't include it.

Xenogears is the god RPG though, no rpg will beat that epicness.
How can FF6 be overrated? I'm guessing you didn't like the cartoon sprites. You'd have to remember FF6 came out before Crono Trigger. It basically redefined RPGs in terms of story, characters, and presentation. Plus it had maybe the best villain of all time.

Shit I remember Xenogears. I was at the last boss and somehow a bug happened and my save file got replaced by a Gundam game savefile. I died and couldn't reload my game.

Nanners
02-20-2010, 01:27 PM
FF6 was/is awesome.

Clocian-IGN
02-20-2010, 02:53 PM
:violin: at the 360 version of FFXIII. SE straight up gimped it and this is with 3 discs on the 360 compared to 1 on the PS3...

http://urblanky.home.comcast.net/~urblanky/xboxfail.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/kavka3/1266548141437.jpg

konex
02-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Add me to the camp who found FF12 lacking in plot/character development. I finished FF7,8,9 and 10 but I just couldn't get into 12 cos it didn't hold my interest. The characters were just kind of "there". I still have it and intend to try again someday lol

If "linear" means it's anything like FF10 (my favorite one), I'll be very happy. I don't have the time to wander around aimlessly in games looking for what to do next. Gimme a good plot, nice cast and a fun battle system and I'm set. So far, I'm liking what I'm seeing of the new game :)

PS: What do you guys think of Leona Lewis doing the theme song for the English versions? I personally like the song but I'll be interested to see where/when it gets played

Here's the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEsqH41GJFM

Whiteness
02-21-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm not about to drop $400 bucks on another system for one game, though. I really can't think of any game exclusive to ps3 that I'd flat-out buy the system for. Obviously the ps3 has greater visual capabilities but, at what point does performance become more of a selling point than the fun you're going to have? The only worthy exclusives of the ps3 to me are Uncharted and Metal Gear and really that's only because of how aesthetically pleasing they are. Now that FF is crossing over that's just less exclusivity that Sony has. X-Box still beats ps3 in my opinion.

mrpuente
02-21-2010, 11:40 PM
cant trust pics like this online. anyways this game def loks sick ill be getting ps3 soon.

Whiteness
02-21-2010, 11:43 PM
cant trust pics like this online. anyways this game def loks sick ill be getting ps3 soon.
yeah, that's another thing. I have no idea who rendered those images using what software and hardware. Hell, they're photobucket images, could be shooped for all I know.

HylianNightmare
02-22-2010, 12:07 AM
this game will justify me buying a PS3,

but it won't touch FFVII

artex
02-22-2010, 12:17 AM
yeah, that's another thing. I have no idea who rendered those images using what software and hardware. Hell, they're photobucket images, could be shooped for all I know.

i dont know if those pics are real, but i do remember reading in a game informer magazine that ffXIII was built from the ground up for the ps3

Clocian-IGN
02-28-2010, 05:31 PM
ff13 next week, then gow3 the week after that as well as yakuza but will get that at a later date

RapsFan
02-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Getting this game for sure. Haven't played a FF for a while but loved them for the PS2.

As for the graphics (I have a 360), since I am not going to be playing it side by side to a PS3 version, I could care less.

Edit: Gamespot has those same pics for the 360, and that elephant turtle thing and trees etc are there. Not sure if that site posts console specific images or not.

RapsFan
03-01-2010, 03:10 PM
I just spoke with someone at EB Games who I have always received good info from, and he said that this Final Fantasy is incredibly linear....to the point where he won't be playing it.

Clocian-IGN
03-01-2010, 06:11 PM
I just spoke with someone at EB Games who I have always received good info from, and he said that this Final Fantasy is incredibly linear....to the point where he won't be playing it.

they said the same thing about FFX and 10 was great. not only that but I hear it opens up later in the game(like ffx). As long as the story is good and engaging along with a good battle system I'm buying lol.

RapsFan
03-01-2010, 07:28 PM
they said the same thing about FFX and 10 was great. not only that but I hear it opens up later in the game(like ffx). As long as the story is good and engaging along with a good battle system I'm buying lol.

Good to know. I'll wait for some reviews before I make my decision. I hope it will be great, but I don't really want something that rolls in a straight line.

Kensta
03-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Being too linear and no townz. Seems like that is everyones complain. I'm getting this game no matter what.

bdreason
03-02-2010, 01:03 AM
The game is going to be linear and story driven... and I have no problem with that.

FF 14 is coming out next year, and will be an open-world MMORPG for people that prefer the sandbox feeling (which I usually prefer as well).

mrpuente
03-03-2010, 04:54 AM
aah damn should i buy a ps3 for this game?

Kensta
03-03-2010, 03:10 PM

Just buy it for the 360 if you have one.

mrpuente
03-05-2010, 04:55 AM
Just buy it for the 360 if you have one.
yeh thats probably whats gonna happen. it comes out the 9th anyone getting it that day?

Clocian-IGN
03-05-2010, 06:17 PM
yeh thats probably whats gonna happen. it comes out the 9th anyone getting it that day?

i am. then gow3 week after that, man what a geat 2 weeks...

glidedrxlr22
03-05-2010, 06:26 PM

From an ign preview:

As a quick note for owners of multiple platforms, I strongly recommend getting this game on the PS3. The 360 version seems to run well enough, but it's noticeably less sharp and is spread across three discs.

DarkSephiroth
03-05-2010, 06:55 PM
I am a lifetime Final Fantasy fan. I started in '92 with Final Fantasy IV, and have played every numbered Final Fantasy since then, barring the pay to play online garbage that was known as FF11. Anyways, I do have high hopes for FF13, as it looks very well done from what I have seen. I have prereserved it, so I will play it right away and let people know what I think. Since it's the first game for the new system, they will probably make it somewhat revolutionary. (Square has a pattern of this. FF4, SNES was revolutionary for its time.. FF7, PS1 was Revolutionary.. FFX , PS2 was revolutionary but somewhat crappy.)

Hopefully the character development and story is excellent, because that's really what I look for in a Final Fantasy.

RapsFan
03-06-2010, 10:46 AM
I am sure many have seen this, but Gamespot gave it an 8.5. The 'critics' so far have given it a 7.9.

The bad comments include "Exceedingly linear exploration and character progression".

Question, I haven't played FF since the PS2....I don't remember the numbers etc. Would those games have been classified as 'linear'? I am not a massive gamer, so I am not sure what they mean by that. Like I would consider Gears of War super linear......but what about Assassin's Creed 2....is that? What about GTA IV? You can do a bunch of side stuff...but all games have to move forward in the main story. So what is linear in video games?

LJJ
03-06-2010, 12:28 PM
I am sure many have seen this, but Gamespot gave it an 8.5. The 'critics' so far have given it a 7.9.

The bad comments include "Exceedingly linear exploration and character progression".

Question, I haven't played FF since the PS2....I don't remember the numbers etc. Would those games have been classified as 'linear'? I am not a massive gamer, so I am not sure what they mean by that. Like I would consider Gears of War super linear......but what about Assassin's Creed 2....is that? What about GTA IV? You can do a bunch of side stuff...but all games have to move forward in the main story. So what is linear in video games?

That score is skewed due to TeamXbox giving it a score of 50% in a review that was so retarded that they have already retracted it.

But it's still not what most people expected.

The mean linear in the most literal sense. There is no exploration. The game takes place completely on a tightly set path.

bdreason
03-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Picking the game up tonight at Gamestop midnight release.

gasolina
03-08-2010, 06:26 PM
I have actually no qualms about an rpg being too linear. This only means that I'm following a story, and if the story is awesome enough, I'd enjoy the ride.

Final Fantasy 6, which IMO is the best, is something you would call linear. Especially during the first half in the world of balance, you follow your party as they chug along, and the story takes you to different places and you carry on. This is actually where RPG's should show their strength in character development.

I remember the whole Edgar / Sabin sequence when they introduced the two brothers and their relationship and on who should be king. That was awesome storytelling.

Same as character progression being linear. If someone was supposed to be a mage then let em be a mage.

Talent
03-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Played the game a few hours today and I liked it. The story line in Linear, but I am enjoying it. I think the replay will suffer because of the gameplay style but it is a fun game on the first play through.

What I did not like is they WoWed down the game mechanics, and they way to simple now.

bdreason
03-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Graphics and storyline are amazing.

After about 2 hours the gameplay really opens up with paradigms and magic.

Clocian-IGN
03-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Graphics and storyline are amazing.

After about 2 hours the gameplay really opens up with paradigms and magic.

yup, im really loving the game so far. awesome graphics and gameplay. story is also good so far

mrpuente
03-10-2010, 06:51 AM
why everyone hating on it being linear, thats what its supposed too be imo.

LJJ
03-10-2010, 09:23 AM
I'm now about 6 hours in and I must say I'm impressed. As long as you are open to all the changes they made, the quality is very impressive.

I'm still in the supposedly "slow start" part of the game, but it's obvious this is easily the best Final Fantasy of the last 10 years.

kentatm
03-10-2010, 09:31 AM

maybe an action game.

not an RPG.

a good RPG offers up many choices on how to go about accomplishing various tasks and often will have branching storylines

That score is skewed due to TeamXbox giving it a score of 50% in a review that was so retarded that they have already retracted it.

But it's still not what most people expected.

The mean linear in the most literal sense. There is no exploration. The game takes place completely on a tightly set path.

no, its getting bad and mediocre reviews elsewhere too. Edge Magazine also gave it a 50, Wired gave it a 60 and there are a surprising number of 70 range reviews. I would actually be more wary of the extremely high reviews like Games Radar and Playstation Magazine's scores of 100.

bdreason
03-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Game is getting better and better the deeper I get. It honestly took about 6 hours of gametime before the game really opens up.

I wonder if all these 'game reviewers' really put 6 hours into the game before making their reviews.

My GF has been watching me play, and she keeps wanting me to push forward so she can learn more of the story. This is the first game she's ever wanted me to wait to play when she's home.

LJJ
03-10-2010, 04:57 PM
maybe an action game.

not an RPG.

a good RPG offers up many choices on how to go about accomplishing various tasks and often will have branching storylines

no, its getting bad and mediocre reviews elsewhere too. Edge Magazine also gave it a 50, Wired gave it a 60 and there are a surprising number of 70 range reviews. I would actually be more wary of the extremely high reviews like Games Radar and Playstation Magazine's scores of 100.

Yeah, let's use Edge scores as a measure of a games quality. :rolleyes:

IGN and 1up scored it a 89-90. The 85-90 range is probably where it should be.

Your notion on RPGs is, quite frankly, completely false. That's a stylistic choice that has nothing to do with quality.

gasolina
03-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Can you give an example of what a good RPG is?

Kensta
03-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Played it for a couple hours last night and my paradigms and crystaruim. I can't wait to get home after work to play it. This is the best FF since FFVII IMO.

bdreason
03-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Got my summon Gestalt mode tonight. All I can say is..... woah. :eek:

Phantom_Blue
03-11-2010, 01:35 AM

That's what I'm saying, since when has Final Fantasy not been linear?

If people want non-linear go play Oblivion :confusedshrug: .

Quizno
03-11-2010, 03:34 AM
gonna go get this tomorrow! can't wait wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

bdreason
03-11-2010, 03:39 AM
Played about 5 hours tonight with my GF. She keeps telling me to go faster so we can uncover more of the story. :oldlol:

I'm just trying to stay alive! Still learning the best way to use my paradigm shifts with different combinations of characters.

Mikaiel
03-11-2010, 06:33 AM
So far, this is easily the worst Final Fantasy I've ever played.

That's what I'm saying, since when has Final Fantasy not been linear?

This game takes being linear to whole new level.

There's not even a minigame like Blitzball or a card game if you want a break from the story.

So far, I haven't been to a town where you can just chill, talk to people, visit shops etc ...

Every level is like a long and narrow corridor. Don't play this game if you're claustrophobic ...

And Lightning seems to be the only interesting character, and you only control her for like half the time, great move Square :applause: :applause: :applause:

I guess Snow is OK, but after that ? Meh.

bdreason
03-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Final Fantasy XIV comes out next year, and will me an online MMORPG.

Then you can sit around town talking to people for hours ala World of Warcraft.

I personally like the direction they took with this game... but I haven't played FF in years, so my opinion on the franchise doesn't mean much I guess.

Phantom_Blue
03-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Final Fantasy XIV comes out next year, and will me an online MMORPG.

Then you can sit around town talking to people for hours ala World of Warcraft.

I personally like the direction they took with this game... but I haven't played FF in years, so my opinion on the franchise doesn't mean much I guess.

Not to mention Final Fantasy XI is still rolling out new content & updates.

Final Fantasy in general has definitely been trying to cater to a more broad audience since FFX. I have a couple friends who are primarily FPS gamers, who bought FFXIII because of all the hype surrounding it, and they have enjoyed it so far.

For old school RPG fans, there are still plenty of franchises out there that haven't really strayed far from the basic formula(Wild Arms, Suikoden, Star Ocean, Dragon Quest, Tales Series etc.)

Mikaiel
03-12-2010, 02:42 PM
So far, this is easily the worst Final Fantasy I've ever played.

Well, forget I said anything. I thought the 1st ten hours or so were horrible but it really gets better after that.

Or maybe I just got used to it.

nbastatus
03-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Is the game really that good? I hear the graphic on PS3 is way more better than Xbox360. One of the main reason I want to play is because of the graphic performance. Any ways, I hate how they made the game so linear. Still thinking whether I should spend 55 bucks on that game.

bdreason
03-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Well, forget I said anything. I thought the 1st ten hours or so were horrible but it really gets better after that.

Or maybe I just got used to it.

The game starts REALLY slow. It takes a good 10 hours before you can even use most of the basic abilities.

I'm about 20 hours in... and although the game is extremely linear, it's probably the best story in a game I've ever played. It probably helps that the graphics on my 46" Sony Bravia 1080p HD make the game look breathtaking... but the characters personalities and emotions are incredible.

This is the first game my GF has ever watched me played 100%. She even banned me from playing when she isn't home... which kind of sucks, hah.

kentatm
03-13-2010, 03:38 AM
Can you give an example of what a good RPG is?

Chrono Trigger

gasolina
03-13-2010, 03:44 AM
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Trigger is pretty linear. You can only choose where you want to go once you get the Wings of Time.

Chrono Trigger rules though. I wish they made a proper sequel instead of that confusefest Chrono Cross.

Swaggin916
03-13-2010, 04:17 AM
Chrono Trigger is pretty linear. You can only choose where you want to go once you get the Wings of Time.

Chrono Trigger rules though. I wish they made a proper sequel instead of that confusefest Chrono Cross.

Never played Chrono Trigger but Chrono Cross was legit.

Ok, so my first impression of this game was "... what the shit is going on?" then I started reading the Database stuff and more of it made sense and as the story progressed it became clear (I'm the Crystal Lake ATM... just beat that big Machine dude). It was very confusing at the beginning tho. The Paradigm stuff seemed like it was going to be really confusing, but took me only a battle to grasp. I find them quite entertaining because you are always doing something. In XII you could let the gambits do the work for and simply survey the situation... which was cool, but I like having to constantly be alert. I love the fact that HP replenishes after battles and no MP is cool... I'll miss seeing "Ether" in my item list though lol (unless it's used for something else now and I just haven't gotten one yet).

As for the characters... I like the black dude (can't spell his name yet lol but I love the chocobo fro) and I like Snow (he looks like a G). Lighting I'm on the fence... she is interesting but man she is such a biotch to Snow. Vanille annoys me so far but she ain't bad on the eye... and Hope is just sort of there ATM and hasn't been developed much so far. The other girl hasn't come into play yet but she looks like a hard ass.

Overall my experience has been great and I'd give it a 9/10 so far. I'm interested in the story so far and the gameplay is fun to me... I'm excited to play it. I just need to buy myself a nice ass TV so I can truly appreciate the graphic beauty.

LJJ
03-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Chrono Trigger

Lol. Chrono Trigger doesn't fit your previous description of what a good RPG must conform to at all.

nbastatus
03-14-2010, 01:53 PM
I just bought the game, and I have no idea why. Anyways, I'll be playing my Pokemon HeartGold first.

Lakers13
03-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Good game. I got the ps3 version and my bro got the xbox version, cant say Im disappointed.

Im prob in that 20 hour mark as well, and have unlocked all the Gestaults but one. Trying to build my characters at this point, in a level I can actually explore more to do so.

IBSports
03-14-2010, 04:07 PM
hmmm...cant decide between this or God of War 3...

konex
03-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Game is fantastic. I'm on Chapter 8 already. Soooo goood :applause:

Mikaiel
03-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Ff 6, 7, 8, 10 > Ff 13

Gundress
03-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Ff 6, 7, 8, 10 > Ff 13

I love FF7. I am little bit disappointed in FF13 but I am still have fun and it doesn't have replay value.

Gundress
03-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Game is fantastic. I'm on Chapter 8 already. Soooo goood :applause:

I'm on Chapter 9....almost 10.

RapsFan
03-14-2010, 06:55 PM
I am still very early...Chapter 3. I really like the game. Yes it's not perfect, but bottom line, it's a fun game, it looks great and has a great story. I am not concerned about it's comparison's to other FF games. I am just enjoying it by itself.

Swaggin916
03-14-2010, 06:59 PM
I am still very early...Chapter 3. I really like the game. Yes it's not perfect, but bottom line, it's a fun game, it looks great and has a great story. I am not concerned about it's comparison's to other FF games. I am just enjoying it by itself.

:applause:

Lakers13
03-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Chapter 11 here, just doing some side stuff. I have found it enjoyable thus far.

nbastatus
03-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Good game. I got the ps3 version and my bro got the xbox version, cant say Im disappointed.

Im prob in that 20 hour mark as well, and have unlocked all the Gestaults but one. Trying to build my characters at this point, in a level I can actually explore more to do so.
Which console has a better graphic? The game play is really good so far; people need to stop focusing on the negatives.

Swaggin916
03-15-2010, 12:18 AM
Which console has a better graphic? The game play is really good so far; people need to stop focusing on the negatives.

PS3 version is way better.

Lakers13
03-15-2010, 04:33 AM

PS3. The storyline is pretty good,I'd prob be done with it already if I wasn't busy beefing my squad up. I just checked the actual hours and I'm near 40 lol

mrpuente
03-15-2010, 11:59 AM
PS3. The storyline is pretty good,I'd prob be done with it already if I wasn't busy beefing my squad up. I just checked the actual hours and I'm near 40 lol
40 hours imo isnt that much imo. i remember maxing out and then some on older ff and other rpgs.

TimeConfidence
03-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Hate to possibly add some spoilers, but I haven't played the game, I wanted to read the story first, I didn't want to get disappointed like I was in Final Fantasy X's ending.

When you achieve your focus and you become crystalized, Is it only for 500 years? Because It would explain why Vanille and Fang came back after 500 years and not being for eternity like it said? :confusedshrug: I am just curious.

bdreason
03-15-2010, 09:55 PM
I didn't read what you posted above, but you should remove anything related to the plot, please. I don't want spoilers on here.

Anyway, the game just keeps getting better. Can't wait to play tonight.

TimeConfidence
03-15-2010, 09:57 PM
I didn't read what you posted above, but you should remove anything related to the plot, please. I don't want spoilers on here.

Anyway, the game just keeps getting better. Can't wait to play tonight.
It wasn't a spoiler, but since you are a player. Simple question though.

When you become crystalized, Is it only for 500 years? Because It would explain why Vanille and Fang were uncrystalized after 500 years and not being for eternity? I am just curious.

gasolina
03-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Finally got the game delivered yesterday. I could understand why people said it was pretty linear, coz the first few chapters was your player in a corridor going straight, fighting specific enemies and maybe looting a chest or two.

Haven't played much but it appears the story would turn out great. DOn't really like this Lightning character, then again, maybe if I play more her character would get fleshed out.

Has anybody experienced motion sickness with the game? I had a bad one last night. Granted I was playing from 12mn-2am after tennis and was so tired.

artex
03-16-2010, 05:18 PM
Has anybody experienced motion sickness with the game? I had a bad one last night.

step yo game up girly-man!!!!

gasolina
03-16-2010, 05:40 PM
step yo game up girly-man!!!!
Seriously it was really bad. I have had problems with FPS's especially with Resistance 2. Maybe the combination of the dark lighting and the constant movement.

bdreason
03-18-2010, 04:39 PM
I don't want to exaggerate... but this is one of the best games I've ever played.

It started out slow, but the fights (strategy) have become much more difficult, and entertaining. The world has also opened up a bit, and the story is incredible. Character development has also opened up and become more interesting.

Quizno
03-21-2010, 02:32 AM
i'm at chapter 5, and the storyline, characters, and battle system are all awesome, but damn, this game is soooooooooooo linear. ffx was pretty linear too and i loved that one, but this is taking it a little too far in my opinion. you literally walk straight the entire game, and the only thing making me wanna continue is the battle system. i really hope things open up soon damnnnnnn

bdreason
03-21-2010, 03:27 PM
i'm at chapter 5, and the storyline, characters, and battle system are all awesome, but damn, this game is soooooooooooo linear. ffx was pretty linear too and i loved that one, but this is taking it a little too far in my opinion. you literally walk straight the entire game, and the only thing making me wanna continue is the battle system. i really hope things open up soon damnnnnnn

You're not even 25% into the game. It stays fairly linear... but the game just gets better and better as you go along. Story gets better, gameplay gets harder, strategy gets more complex, world opens up more... this is first game I've played in awhile that I really don't want to end. I've got about 60 hours in so far.

Legend of Josh
03-21-2010, 06:56 PM
I always wait until a game is reduced in price before I buy (I never rent games either). I will buy a game new at full price if it's something I just have to have; this is rare however as the price of games seem to drop quite substantially within 6 to 9 months after being released if not sooner.

I've actually heard FFXIII isn't the greatest RPG/Action game released to date. Something like a solid 8.5 or 9 out of 10 but not on the 9.5 or 10 level. Did any of you find the game the slightest in disappointment?

I'm sure I'll buy this in the long haul, but to those who have already paid full price, would you do so again after getting a good feel for the game?

Is it 'just as you expected' ... 'better than expectations' or ... 'somewhat disappointment' ?

bdreason
03-22-2010, 05:57 PM
I always wait until a game is reduced in price before I buy (I never rent games either). I will buy a game new at full price if it's something I just have to have; this is rare however as the price of games seem to drop quite substantially within 6 to 9 months after being released if not sooner.

I've actually heard FFXIII isn't the greatest RPG/Action game released to date. Something like a solid 8.5 or 9 out of 10 but not on the 9.5 or 10 level. Did any of you find the game the slightest in disappointment?

I'm sure I'll buy this in the long haul, but to those who have already paid full price, would you do so again after getting a good feel for the game?

Is it 'just as you expected' ... 'better than expectations' or ... 'somewhat disappointment' ?

I'm not an expert on the FF franchise, and the last one I played was on Nintendo I think... but I would recommend this game to anyone. If you own a PS3, I would even call it a must buy. I've already convinced my brother and a couple friends to buy it, and they are loving it as well. I've got about 70 hours into the game... and it's still getting better.

gasolina
03-23-2010, 05:38 PM
It's a good buy. I don't think it'll go down in price anytime soon because its definitely a long haul play and there won't be people selling 2nd hand games until further into the spring.

Legend of Josh
03-23-2010, 10:51 PM
It's a good buy. I don't think it'll go down in price anytime soon because its definitely a long haul play and there won't be people selling 2nd hand games until further into the spring.

This is true... I doubt the initial MSRP ($60) won't drop until at least then fall, even then it'll still be $40.

Swaggin916
03-24-2010, 02:00 AM
This is true... I doubt the initial MSRP ($60) won't drop until at least then fall, even then it'll still be $40.

And it's an awful long time to wait just for a 20$ reduction. I went out and bought a PS3 so I could play this and I haven't been the slightest bit disappointed. I'm in chapter 10 right now and I'm loving every minute of it. Sounds like I have a ways to go to... :banana:

Legend of Josh
03-24-2010, 02:09 AM
And it's an awful long time to wait just for a 20$ reduction. I went out and bought a PS3 so I could play this and I haven't been the slightest bit disappointed. I'm in chapter 10 right now and I'm loving every minute of it. Sounds like I have a ways to go to... :banana:

It seems many gamers (more like casual ones) had waited until this game was released before they purchased their PS3 (probably not so much with the 360). I suppose the tenure FF fans would be more Playstation inclined.

Am I right?

gasolina
03-25-2010, 02:01 PM
It seems many gamers (more like casual ones) had waited until this game was released before they purchased their PS3 (probably not so much with the 360). I suppose the tenure FF fans would be more Playstation inclined.

Am I right?
I bought the $600 PS3 back in 07 specifically for 2 games
1. Tekken 6
2. Final Fantasy 13

Turned out they lost the exclusive rights but I still got nice surprises in Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls, MGS4, and Valkyria Chronicles.

Hotbullets
03-26-2010, 04:54 PM
This is my first ever Final Fantasy and I must say it doesn't appeal to me at all. I've only played two hours so far, but I find it rather tedious... So linear, so dull and most of all: SO CORNY!

I hope this gets better...

bdreason
03-26-2010, 05:09 PM
This is my first ever Final Fantasy and I must say it doesn't appeal to me at all. I've only played two hours so far, but I find it rather tedious... So linear, so dull and most of all: SO CORNY!

I hope this gets better...

Give it some time. First 20-30 hours of gameplay teach you how to play and lays down the foundation for the plot.

I'm about 75 hours deep and the battles are awesome. One of the best games I've ever played.

Hotbullets
03-27-2010, 08:16 AM
75 hours? Wow, I'm not sure if I want to go there. I mean, I'm unemployed and all, but still...

bdreason
03-27-2010, 02:27 PM
75 hours? Wow, I'm not sure if I want to go there. I mean, I'm unemployed and all, but still...

So you'de rather the game just end after 2 days?

I can't stand games I can buy and beat in 2 days. Those are called 'renters'.

gasolina
03-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Who here feels that Gamespot / IGN should re-rate this game? Obviously they were racing to who gets out their review first, but you won't really appreciate the game until after some major hours in.

Even the characters who were so annoying at first, once the story gets fleshed out more, you'd understand why they're like that.

Battle systems gotten a lot more intense too, and I'm not even through Chapter 10.

bdreason
03-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Just finished the game. Mucho respect to Square Enix. One of the best games I've ever played.

bdreason
03-29-2010, 08:55 PM
And the game isn't over after it ends. :cheers:

RapsFan
03-30-2010, 02:09 PM
I am like 22 hrs in and at Chapter 10 I think. From the looks of the menu, are there like 16 chapters or something? If so, how are people getting 70+ hrs of gameplay. Are the later chapters longer?

bdreason
03-30-2010, 04:43 PM
I am like 22 hrs in and at Chapter 10 I think. From the looks of the menu, are there like 16 chapters or something? If so, how are people getting 70+ hrs of gameplay. Are the later chapters longer?

You can probably race to the end in 30-40 hours.

BUT, do you have the Omega weapons for all your characters? Do all your characters have Stage 10 maxed Crystariums? Have you completed all the Titans Quests? Have you farmed the world for rare items to complete your characters hidden abilities?

Personally, I took a break at around Chapter 10 and built my characters up before the final run. Now I'm in the process of maxing my characters. I'm about 80 hours deep at this point.

RapsFan
03-30-2010, 08:51 PM
You can probably race to the end in 30-40 hours.

BUT, do you have the Omega weapons for all your characters? Do all your characters have Stage 10 maxed Crystariums? Have you completed all the Titans Quests? Have you farmed the world for rare items to complete your characters hidden abilities?

Personally, I took a break at around Chapter 10 and built my characters up before the final run. Now I'm in the process of maxing my characters. I'm about 80 hours deep at this point.

See maybe I need to read some reviews etc. I feel I have been doing almost everything, taking it all in. I don't even know what Omega weapons are! :confusedshrug: I don't even know what a Titan quest is. I didn't even know there were hidden abilities? WTF!?! Where do I learn about this stuff because I want to know it. I am like level 2 for each skillset, that's it and I am level 10. I haven't really found places to go off and explore for hidden stuff. What am I missing?

bdreason
03-31-2010, 01:40 AM
Here is a basic guide that doesn't give any spoilers (I don't think). It explains a little about weapon leveling, and tips for Crys leveling and basic combat.

http://guides.ign.com/guides/826843/page_2.html

Once you get to Gran Pulse the world opens up a little, and you can start running Cie'th Stone missions. These missions will guide you through the world, and certain ones will become teleports so you can travel around more easily. These missions are not directly related to the plot, but help you build your characters and fight different monsters... the later Cie'th missions are called Titans Quest missions (you'll see when you get there) Here is site that lists all the Cie'th missions.

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/final-fantasy-xiii-cieth-stone-missions-guide/a-2010031011391394090

I didn't look at this stuff until I hit chapter 11 and kept getting my a$$ handed to me, so I decided to go back and run missions to build my characters stronger. Good luck.

nbastatus
03-31-2010, 05:00 PM
My Final Fantasy XIII is sitting on the counter looking pretty. I have not had the time to play it. My bro only played like few hours, and I guess he didn't like it as much as I thought he would. Hopefully I get to play on it this weekend. Not going to waste that 65 dollars game.

RapsFan
03-31-2010, 06:46 PM
Here is a basic guide that doesn't give any spoilers (I don't think). It explains a little about weapon leveling, and tips for Crys leveling and basic combat.

http://guides.ign.com/guides/826843/page_2.html

Once you get to Gran Pulse the world opens up a little, and you can start running Cie'th Stone missions. These missions will guide you through the world, and certain ones will become teleports so you can travel around more easily. These missions are not directly related to the plot, but help you build your characters and fight different monsters... the later Cie'th missions are called Titans Quest missions (you'll see when you get there) Here is site that lists all the Cie'th missions.

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/final-fantasy-xiii-cieth-stone-missions-guide/a-2010031011391394090

I didn't look at this stuff until I hit chapter 11 and kept getting my a$$ handed to me, so I decided to go back and run missions to build my characters stronger. Good luck.

:cheers: Thank you! I am actually in chapter nine, just got the ability to pick my own team. So it looks like a lot of the stuff you are talking about happens soon.

Did you level up each skillset even if you don't use it much? Just curious? I wasn't going to, but then I realized your CP move faster along the path and you can get 'cheaper' upgrades that way. For example, rarely do I use Lightning as a Medic, so forget about those points or still level it up?

I'll check out those links, but another question is, did you often switch weapons? Basically any weapon I find, even if it's super expensive at a store, is weak compared to the weapons I have basically held for the majority of the game, because I have been upgrading them.

bdreason
04-01-2010, 04:57 AM
:cheers: Thank you! I am actually in chapter nine, just got the ability to pick my own team. So it looks like a lot of the stuff you are talking about happens soon.

Did you level up each skillset even if you don't use it much? Just curious? I wasn't going to, but then I realized your CP move faster along the path and you can get 'cheaper' upgrades that way. For example, rarely do I use Lightning as a Medic, so forget about those points or still level it up?

I'll check out those links, but another question is, did you often switch weapons? Basically any weapon I find, even if it's super expensive at a store, is weak compared to the weapons I have basically held for the majority of the game, because I have been upgrading them.

I would focus on 3 classes for each character. For example my characters are:

Lighting: Ravager / Commando / Medic
Fang: Commando / Sabatour / Sentinel
Snow: Commando / Sentinel / Ravager
Sazh: Synergist / Ravager / Commando
Hope: Synergist / Medic / Ravager
Vanille: Sabatour / Medic / Ravager

I went for abilities first, and skipped extra stats. I'm building my 4th class now, but it's expensive, and i'de recommend maxing out 3 classes first.

For weapons, I'de wait till you get weapons with status effects before upgrading. For example, later you can buy a weapon for Vanille that will increase her Cure spell, or increase her debuffing (the weapon I use). These weapons can be upgraded into their ultimate form eventually (I still don't have one :( )... you'll have to choose what you want for your team.

RapsFan
04-01-2010, 07:35 AM
^^^^ I read that you can create each characters ultimate weapon out of whatever weapon you want. The guide, maybe it was the link you posted, basically said to stick with the first weapon you get. So I have been upgraded them along the way. But if I find a weapon that really enhances one of their skills, then I should probably switch to that and start upgrading it from scratch, even if it means a temporary loss in HP or MP.

brandonislegend
04-03-2010, 05:18 AM
I just beat it, good game.

FFVII, FFVIII, FFX all better but this one was decent, no real towns though or mini games (IE. blitz ball, motorcycle racing, etc...) ...WTH?

and the last boss was so ****ing easy/boring that was kinda a let down, but all and all it was a good game.

HisAirness3
04-03-2010, 02:04 PM
I think with the way the game ended, there should and will be a sequel (XIII-2, 13-2). The producers/creators/directors already said they have interest in it because honestly at the end of the game, they didn't explain enough. They basically crammed it all in. I want a XIII-2......What you guys think?

bdreason
04-04-2010, 01:02 AM
I think with the way the game ended, there should and will be a sequel (XIII-2, 13-2). The producers/creators/directors already said they have interest in it because honestly at the end of the game, they didn't explain enough. They basically crammed it all in. I want a XIII-2......What you guys think?

My guess is they follow the new trend of downloadable expansions. Which is fine with me. The story could easily continue from where it left off... maybe add a few maps and an extra plot line... let you use your current characters, and add a couple new ones.

Mikaiel
04-04-2010, 05:48 PM

Please no. Let's just forget this game ever existed.

RapsFan
04-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Does anyone know a source that gives the exp max for each weapon? I feel as if I am wasting resources upgrading some weapons and accessories (assessories especially as I know weapons level 1 go to 26) beyond their 'star'. Be nice to know what level the accessory goes to and how many exp pts it can handle.

Mikaiel
04-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Does anyone know a source that gives the exp max for each weapon? I feel as if I am wasting resources upgrading some weapons and accessories (assessories especially as I know weapons level 1 go to 26) beyond their 'star'. Be nice to know what level the accessory goes to and how many exp pts it can handle.

http://ff-13.info/category/weapons/

bdreason
04-05-2010, 11:59 PM

Vanille's Weapons - http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/2315/vanilleweapons.jpg
Fang's Weapons - http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/3874/fangweapons.jpg
Hope's Weapons - http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6500/hopeweapons.jpg
Lighting's Weapons - http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9157/lightningweapons.jpg
Sazh's Weapons - http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/5500/sazhweapons.jpg
Snow's Weapons - http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1648/snowweapons.jpg

RapsFan
04-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Awesome...thanks guys!

Do you mostly focuse your gil and components to upgrade weapons or do you also focus on accessories?

Mikaiel
04-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Awesome...thanks guys!

Do you mostly focuse your gil and components to upgrade weapons or do you also focus on accessories?

Both. Some accessories are a must-have.

Like Auto-Haste. Upgrade the thing that gives you Protect, Shell, Veil and something else when you're almost dead so that it casts all those spells at the start. Then dismantle it and you'll have Sprint Shoes with Auto-Haste. Do that 3 times so you can have this on all your characters.

Then Auto-Bravery for your commando and Auto-Faith for your Ravagers/Medics/Saboteurs.

Collector Catalog is also great (more items after battles). Upgrade this and you'll get a Connoisseur Catalog (more rare items after battles). Great way to get gil quickly.

BTW I'm ****ing pissed. IMO the battle system is by far the best in the series, so when I was done upgrading my characters I thought "OK, now time for some epic battles". But nothing lasted more than 7 minutes. :rant :rant :rant WTF is that ? 7 minutes for the toughest boss in the game ? Are they serious ? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

RapsFan
04-07-2010, 01:01 PM
^^^ thanks! I haven't come across that accessory yet. I find myself having basically no gil. When I get an item that looks like I don't need, I sell it to get get for upgrades. I had an iteam that was auto-faith, but I wasn't sure how much the faith spell adds to your magic points. Whereas I had an accessory that added 100 MP.....which is better?

Also, I am fining Grand Pulse way way harder then the previous 10 chapters.

gasolina
04-07-2010, 02:15 PM
So that's where you get the sprint shoes!!!!

Quick questions to those who have gone and finished the game

1. Pearlwing Staff or Belladonna Wand? - Obviously the staff is to deal high damage but the Wand can be pretty useful against CERTAIN bosses. Not that the Wand doesn't have a high magic output too..

2. I gave Sazh Rigels so he can be my ultimate support character. I gave him the auto-bravery, strength+ items. As a ravager, would the spark/fire/strike damage be calculated based on strength or is it based on magic?

3. Same thing with Lightning - I usually pair her up with Fang, and most of the time she spends her time as a ravager. I gave her the Gladius to max up her strength. Would I be better off picking another weapon since she's usually using the element strikes in battle?

bdreason
04-07-2010, 02:49 PM
So that's where you get the sprint shoes!!!!

Quick questions to those who have gone and finished the game

1. Pearlwing Staff or Belladonna Wand? - Obviously the staff is to deal high damage but the Wand can be pretty useful against CERTAIN bosses. Not that the Wand doesn't have a high magic output too..

2. I gave Sazh Rigels so he can be my ultimate support character. I gave him the auto-bravery, strength+ items. As a ravager, would the spark/fire/strike damage be calculated based on strength or is it based on magic?

3. Same thing with Lightning - I usually pair her up with Fang, and most of the time she spends her time as a ravager. I gave her the Gladius to max up her strength. Would I be better off picking another weapon since she's usually using the element strikes in battle?

1. I went with Bella Wand. Debuffing is key.

2. Anything with "strike" in it is based on strength, although resistances on the mob matter. So, thunderstrike (based on strength) will do better against mobs weak against thunder, and worse against mobs with thunder resists. I'm not a fan of Sazh overall. His stats are more balanced like Lightning, and I prefer to have Hope as my buffer/healer/ravager.

3. Lightning is my main ravager as well. I use Lionheart because it provides Quick Stagger. The second most used option is Axis Blade, which provides some ATB recharge.

A couple items I would recommend getting for farming are the Aurora Scarf, which is easy to get; just upgrad a Whistlewind Scarf (bought in store) to star and morph. This starts fights with full ATB guage. The other item is the Sprint shoes. This starts the fight auto-haste. Best way to get this item is to farm Mission 7 (flying lighting style boss near the beginning of Gran Pulse) with a Collectors Catalog on. The boss will drop a Tetradric Crown. Upgrade the Crown to star, then dismantle and you get Hermes Shoes. Upgrade those to star, and morph, and you get the Speed shoes.

Combining these two items on each character also provides a hidden +10% ATB recharge bonus.

RapsFan
04-07-2010, 02:59 PM
1. I went with Bella Wand. Debuffing is key.

2. Anything with "strike" in it is based on strength, although resistances on the mob matter. So, thunderstrike (based on strength) will do better against mobs weak against thunder, and worse against mobs with thunder resists. I'm not a fan of Sazh overall. His stats are more balanced like Lightning, and I prefer to have Hope as my buffer/healer/ravager.

3. Lightning is my main ravager as well. I use Lionheart because it provides Quick Stagger. The second most used option is Axis Blade, which provides some ATB recharge.

A couple items I would recommend getting for farming are the Aurora Scarf, which is easy to get; just upgrad a Whistlewind Scarf (bought in store) to star and morph. This starts fights with full ATB guage. The other item is the Sprint shoes. This starts the fight auto-haste. Best way to get this item is to farm Mission 7 (flying lighting style boss near the beginning of Gran Pulse) with a Collectors Catalog on. The boss will drop a Tetradric Crown. Upgrade the Crown to star, then dismantle and you get Hermes Shoes. Upgrade those to star, and morph, and you get the Speed shoes.

Combining these two items on each character also provides a hidden +10% ATB recharge bonus.

How did you afford the Collectors Catalog? It's like 100K gil right? In chapter 11, should I just roam around and do the Ceith missions which will build me up, gets lots of items/gil etc? I don't know if I screwed up along the way wasting gil, but I don't think I bought too many things that wasn't to upgrade weapons.

What was your core 3 person party? Or did you change it all the time? I feel like I have to have a Sentinel, but maybe that's only because I am not strong enough yet? I really like Haste so Sazh, but maybe that is where you are saying to get the Speed shoes instead so Sazh isn't necessary?

bdreason
04-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Early in Gran Pulse I think I used Vanille / Lightning / Sazh. I liked to heal/debuff/ravage with Vanille, use Lightning as Commando, and Sazh for buffing (haste), and ravaging. If you feel you need a sentinel you could use Snow or Fang instead of Lightning.

Don't buy the Collectors Catalog, you will loot a couple eventually. Try to complete as many of the Cieth mission as you can... at least up to 17. This will get you items + gil + xp + Chocobo (mish 14). I provided a link to a mission guide earlier in the thread.

I wasted plenty of gil early on, don't stress it. I would recommend saving your upgrades for weapons / items you know you'll keep though. I provided a weapons guide earlier in this thread.

My favorite threesome for endgame is Lightning / Fang / Hope. Lightning is my Ravager / Commando / Medic / Debuffer. Fang is my Commando / Debuffer / Sentinel. And Hope is my Buffer / Healer / Ravager.

gasolina
04-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Wow thanks for the great input.

Another thing, Strength/Magic+ items or Auto-Bravery/Faith or both?

Obviously if I go for both my last slot will be Sprint Shoes. I usually go with either a general's belt or royal armlet in the third slot

RapsFan
04-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Awesome thanks.

That is my problem...figuring out what items I really need. I like a fine balance of playing and also reading up on the game. I checked out the weapon guides you posted, but it talks about stuff like the 'synthesis group' etc.....not going to lie, not a F'ing clue wha that means. :oldlol:

bdreason
04-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Wow thanks for the great input.

Another thing, Strength/Magic+ items or Auto-Bravery/Faith or both?

Obviously if I go for both my last slot will be Sprint Shoes. I usually go with either a general's belt or royal armlet in the third slot

The only auto-buff I use is Haste. The auto-buffs only last 60 seconds, and aren't worth the slot (besides haste).

After the Auroro scarf and Speed shoes, I use resistance gear. +% physical and magical resistence is the way to go IMO. Also, using +HP items (platinum/diamond bangles) is useful for characters with lower HP, especially early on.

bdreason
04-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Awesome thanks.

That is my problem...figuring out what items I really need. I like a fine balance of playing and also reading up on the game. I checked out the weapon guides you posted, but it talks about stuff like the 'synthesis group' etc.....not going to lie, not a F'ing clue wha that means. :oldlol:

Don't worry about that stuff till later. I beat the game without knowing what that shyt is either.

bdreason
04-07-2010, 03:35 PM
And a good tip for selling items.

Anything that is +20% resist Slow/imperial/deshell/etc you can sell. Anything that is +20% resist to specific elements (fire/wind/water/etc) you should keep. The elemental resist items are nice to have for certain fights. The ailment resists I've never had to use.

gasolina
04-07-2010, 03:37 PM
BD, can you let us know what your preferred weapons are. I just picked which one gives the highest stat. Also some recommendation on the 4th crystarium?

bdreason
04-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Lighting - Lionheart (Quick Stagger)
Fang - Padorean Spear (Debuff)
Vanille - Belladona Wand (Debuff)
Hope - Othsirvani (Siphon Boost aka stagger bonus)
Snow - Umbra (Ward aka AoE damage defense)
Sazh - Antares Deluxes (Chain Bonus Boost)

As far as Crystarium goes, just focus on 2-3 fields at first. Try and get your +ATB guage and Accessory slots first. Skip stat bonuses for Abilities. Don't worry about a 4th field until after endgame, as it costs too much.

If you notice, they place the +ATB and +Accessory in the fields they want that character to be good at. Having multiple healers and ravagers is important. Make sure to have at least 3 really good healers and ravagers. Mine are Lightning, Hope, Vanille (healers) and Lightning, Hope, Sazh, Vanille (ravagers). My only Sentinels are Fang and Snow, as I only really use Sent's for specific boss fights. I choose to instead be more offensive minded (stagger quickly), and like to outheal damage as opposed to tanking damage.

These are just my opinions, remember. If you like a specific character, in a specific role... just go with it. There is no right answer.

Mikaiel
04-07-2010, 06:37 PM

I wouldn't pick the Gladius. Lighting is the best ravager in the game with her "Early Stagger" weapon. And Ravager is the most important role.

BTW, maybe you guys already know, but I only figured it out at the very end. Once you've staggered an enemy, keep hitting him with ravagers until his stagger percentage is at 999.9% (top right hand corner) and then unleash hell with your commandos. The higher the percentage is, the more damage he takes. It's probably explained somewhere in the game but I missed it :confusedshrug:

Anyway, you should always go with weapons with special abilities. A 200 point difference in stats is really not that big a deal. 95% of the time, what you wanna do is debuff the enemy and stagger them quickly. Two most important things right there. Once you've done that, it's pretty much over.

BD, can you let us know what your preferred weapons are.

I know you didn't ask me but :

Lighting : Early Stagger. (Awesome)
Fang : No Stagger. Not as bad as it sounds, you just can't trigger the staggered status, that's it. Not a big deal. Especially if you're a commando. With this weapon and a few Strength+ items, she's a beast.
Hope : Siphon Boost. But picking the one with the highest magic stat is a good choice too since he's the best medic in the game. And in some battles, you gotta have a medic.
Snow : Improved guard. I only use Snow as a sentinel when it gets too tough. With this weapon and a few damage protections items, he's basically invincible. Then you can do your thing without worrying about anything.
Vanille : Improved Debuffing.

I had an iteam that was auto-faith, but I wasn't sure how much the faith spell adds to your magic points. Whereas I had an accessory that added 100 MP.....which is better?

For regular battles, go with Auto-Faith. It doesn't last long but the battle will be over before it wears off.

For bosses, take Magic +100 or whatever you have instead and use a spray to get Auto-Haste, Bravery, Faith, Protect, Shell etc ... Or bring a synergist with you.

RapsFan
04-07-2010, 06:57 PM
So did I waste gil/time levelling up weapons that you guys didn't list above...or did you just end up with those. The Gladius was Lightning's first sword, so I just worked on getting it better so I could survive. Now it's level 26. Did I make a mistake? Should I sell it or dismantle it once I find or have enough gil to buy the one that becomes the Lionheart? (and same for the others?). I think the only weapon I currently have that you guys have listed is Snow's.

Thanks to both of you guys for your help by the way!

Mikaiel
04-07-2010, 07:23 PM
So did I waste gil/time levelling up weapons that you guys didn't list above..

No.

Actually, I leveled up the Gladius too. At first, it makes sense to have Lightning as a commando. But once you get Fang, having her as a commando is redundant.

And if you only have it at level 26, you didn't invest that much gil in it. When you're strong enough, killing those dinosaur things in Gran Pulse can give you 150,000 gil per fight. So it's no big deal.

Besides, it's not that important. You can finish the game even if you don't have the best weapons. But if you want to do all Cieth Stone missions, I'd highly recommend the Lionheart. I'm pretty sure you can't stagger the last boss of the game without it.

Should I sell it or dismantle it once I find or have enough gil to buy the one that becomes the Lionheart?

Don't buy the Lionheart. You find it in a chest in the last chapter of the game.

I checked out the weapon guides you posted, but it talks about stuff like the 'synthesis group' etc.....not going to lie, not a F'ing clue wha that means. :oldlol:

I finished the game and every single Cieth Stone missions, and I don't know what the hell you're talking about :oldlol:

RapsFan
04-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Awesome. Its like there are two real games here....Chapter 1-10 and then 11+ because I find the game a lot different now with the open world, much harder battles etc.

bdreason
04-07-2010, 09:56 PM
I finished the game and every single Cieth Stone missions, and I don't know what the hell you're talking about :oldlol:

Different weapons and items fall into different categories. If you equip certain combinations, you get hidden bonuses.

For example if you equip the Speed Boots and Aurora Scarf, you gain +10% ATB recharge. Combine those with Hope's Siphon Boost weapon, and you gain +15% ATB recharge.

HisAirness3
04-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Please no. Let's just forget this game ever existed.
Well no one is asking you buy their product. But the reality is, you are going to buy it anyways. :oldlol: So I'm guessing you will say Forget Versus, Final Fantasy is terrible now. And then when it comes out, you'll end up buying it?

XIII-2 please.

gasolina
04-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Thanks guys, I did a lot of retooling last night and found out that my current setup wasn't too far off. I traded the Pearlwing for a Bella wand. And made 5 spring shoes. Who do I fight to get the tiara/crown again?

I'm still in chapter 11 and realized that I don't have access to the 3 other weapons I need to switch. Light's early stagger, Hope's Siphon and Sazh's Antares.

brooks_thompson
04-08-2010, 06:57 PM
i've never played one of these games before and don't generally like japanese role-playing games. the story and characters were ridiculous, as expected, but it was a nice change of pace.

the battle system was good and fast but there were really maybe 5 fights that were challenging (as in, had to repeat more than twice, and mostly because i didn't have the right paradigm to start) the entire game.

i kept holding off on upgrading weapons because i didn't really understand it, and ended up beating the game with lightnings original sword at level 16 and everyone else with base level weapons.

i don't really see the point in going back and doing all the missions and upgrading when there's really nothing to build towards anymore.

bdreason
04-08-2010, 10:01 PM
i've never played one of these games before and don't generally like japanese role-playing games. the story and characters were ridiculous, as expected, but it was a nice change of pace.

the battle system was good and fast but there were really maybe 5 fights that were challenging (as in, had to repeat more than twice, and mostly because i didn't have the right paradigm to start) the entire game.

i kept holding off on upgrading weapons because i didn't really understand it, and ended up beating the game with lightnings original sword at level 16 and everyone else with base level weapons.

i don't really see the point in going back and doing all the missions and upgrading when there's really nothing to build towards anymore.

Sounds like you haven't fought most of the tough encounters. Beating the game doesn't mean much... most of the tough fights aren't even involved in the quest line.

Without maxed characters you won't be able to beat the hardest mobs in the game. My crew is pretty stacked, and I still get 2 shotted by super-turtles.

RapsFan
04-08-2010, 11:42 PM
I cannot beat the 7th Cie'th mission....any help would be great. It's that flying guy who kills you with lightning and poison etc. I watched a YouTube video on how to beat it and the guy had 3 commandos and just used Ruin over and over. Problem is his guys has like 8000+ HP each and I have like 2700 each. Is there a particular characters eidion that will do mad damage?

Am I just too early to tackle this? What else can I do as I assume mission 8 is harder.

bdreason
04-09-2010, 12:02 AM
I cannot beat the 7th Cie'th mission....any help would be great. It's that flying guy who kills you with lightning and poison etc. I watched a YouTube video on how to beat it and the guy had 3 commandos and just used Ruin over and over. Problem is his guys has like 8000+ HP each and I have like 2700 each. Is there a particular characters eidion that will do mad damage?

Am I just too early to tackle this? What else can I do as I assume mission 8 is harder.

7 is a tough mish.

Play as Hope, and get BarThunder up on all your characters ASAP. Then just have a Commando and Ravager go to town, while you heal with Hope, and Ravage with Hope when you get a chance. The key is having BarThunder up when he does his AoE lighting attack. You should be able to survive his other attacks.

RapsFan
04-09-2010, 06:39 PM
7 is a tough mish.

Play as Hope, and get BarThunder up on all your characters ASAP. Then just have a Commando and Ravager go to town, while you heal with Hope, and Ravage with Hope when you get a chance. The key is having BarThunder up when he does his AoE lighting attack. You should be able to survive his other attacks.

So having HP in the 2000's is fine or am I too weak? I guess that guy on the video could have gone back just to create the help video, because no way 8000+ HP should be common by then right?

RapsFan
04-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Finally beat it. Hope, Sazh and Lightning. Starter Syn/Syn/Medic to get all my buffs, big ones being veil, barthunder and haste, then went medic/com/com. Took a long time and I was healing and using ensu constantly but sazh and lighting finally took it down.

BD, is this mission where you said it was a good place to farm?

bdreason
04-10-2010, 02:42 AM
Finally beat it. Hope, Sazh and Lightning. Starter Syn/Syn/Medic to get all my buffs, big ones being veil, barthunder and haste, then went medic/com/com. Took a long time and I was healing and using ensu constantly but sazh and lighting finally took it down.

BD, is this mission where you said it was a good place to farm?

This is the mission people farm for the Tetradric Crown, which you eventually turn into the Speed Boots. That's probably what the guy in the video was doing.

Don't worry about it now though. Just make a mental note, and when you get stronger, come back and farm him for the Crown.

RapsFan
04-10-2010, 09:21 AM
This is the mission people farm for the Tetradric Crown, which you eventually turn into the Speed Boots. That's probably what the guy in the video was doing.

Don't worry about it now though. Just make a mental note, and when you get stronger, come back and farm him for the Crown.

I beat 8 and have the collector's catalog...is that what I need to get the Tetradric Crown?

Sorry for all the Q's...appreciate the help!

Over time, once you get certain items does it make certain characters useless? Like I use Sazh now basically because of Haste. Will Hope learn Haste making Sazh no longer needed? Or those speed boots? Do the Syn's eventually learn all the same abilities? Same for the Sab's etc?

gasolina
04-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Related question, will having two catalouges in my party increase my chance of getting a crown? I need 1 more. I already have 5 sprint shoues but dont like equipping / removing items

bdreason
04-10-2010, 03:23 PM
I beat 8 and have the collector's catalog...is that what I need to get the Tetradric Crown?

Sorry for all the Q's...appreciate the help!

Over time, once you get certain items does it make certain characters useless? Like I use Sazh now basically because of Haste. Will Hope learn Haste making Sazh no longer needed? Or those speed boots? Do the Syn's eventually learn all the same abilities? Same for the Sab's etc?

Yes, the colletors catalog is what will increase the drop rate of the crown.

No character will ever become useless, as some will always do something better than another. Hope/Sazh will always be the bst buffers, Fang/Snow will always be the best tanks, Fang/Vanille will always be the best debuffers, etc.. Yes, eventually Hope learns Haste, so you don't have to use Sazh to buff. I use Hope as my buffer/healer.

The characters don't learn ALL the same abilities, but many abilties do overlap. The main difference I've seen is some characters learn group buffs/debuffs, while some only learn single buff/debuffs.

For example, Vanille is a great debuffer, but she doesn't learn a lot of group debuffs. On the other hand, Fang learns lots of group debuffs... which I why I use her as my go-to debuffer, typically.

bdreason
04-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Related question, will having two catalouges in my party increase my chance of getting a crown? I need 1 more. I already have 5 sprint shoues but dont like equipping / removing items

Nah, you can't stack the same catolog to improve drop rates. However, you can upgrade one of the collectors catalog into a connesiuers (sp) catalog, which increased the drop rate of "rare" items.

When I'm farming I typically carry one of each catalog on each of my 3 active characters;

Survivors Catalog - increases drop rate of Shrouds.
Collectors Catalog - increases drop rate of items.
Connosuiers Catalog - increased drop rate of "rare" items.

gasolina
04-12-2010, 03:26 PM
I finished the game and didn't get the ending.

Now farming Trapz but still getting a big giant O

bdreason
04-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Gasolina you should edit your post, because he have people visiting this thread who haven't finished it yet. If you have a question about the ending, shoot me a PM.

Also, I don't farm Trapz. Instead, I chose to farm gil in a spot towards the end. I made about 400k an hour, and bought a Trapz for 2 million. Then you can build up one final weapon (fangs or vanilles), max it out, then dismantle it for 3 traps. Rinse and repeat.

gasolina
04-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Gasolina you should edit your post, because he have people visiting this thread who haven't finished it yet. If you have a question about the ending, shoot me a PM.

Also, I don't farm Trapz. Instead, I chose to farm gil in a spot towards the end. I made about 400k an hour, and bought a Trapz for 2 million. Then you can build up one final weapon (fangs or vanilles), max it out, then dismantle it for 3 traps. Rinse and repeat.
I don't know which is harder, gettin a Trapz or getting 2 million. The way the game whores you up when selling items is just bad. 10k for scarletite? really?

What the best way to earn money? I've killed 3 Adamantoises with 2 different catalogues and I got an aegisol. At that point i hit the ps button to turn it off.

bdreason
04-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Not gonna lie, it's a long grind either way. They should have balanced it better to make getting the final weapons easier.

If you want to do what I did, I'll tell you where I farmed.

At the end ofthe game, there are 3 portals. One leads to the end, one leads back to Gan Pulse, and one leads to Eden Hall (i think that's the name of it).

Take the portal to EdenHall. At the beginning of it there is a save point. Run out the hall and straight across the bridge. There will be a bunch of those unforgiven cieth guys, and one fight on the middle with a big shell looking guy. Anyway, you can get the drop on most of the encounters, and even if you don't, the fights take maybe 30-60 seconds. Clear the bridge, run back to the save point, and the bridge will respawn... do this over and over. The guys drop Scarletite and Perfume a lot which sell well. Once you get good at it, you can make about 400k gil an hour, as well as building up your characters CP.

I just set up and 1 sabatour and 2 ravagers and hit auto attack over and over.

gasolina
04-12-2010, 04:12 PM
The guys drop Scarletite and Perfume a lot which sell well. Once you get good at it, you can make about 400k gil an hour, as well as building up your characters CP.

I just set up and 1 sabatour and 2 ravagers and hit auto attack over and over.
Thanks. Surely that's a lot more enjoyable than spamming death on an Adamantoise.

gasolina
04-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Not gonna lie, it's a long grind either way. They should have balanced it better to make getting the final weapons easier..
I won't complain much. At least they didn't let us dodge 300 lightning bolts or not open certain chests or chain kill 150 flaming wolves.

I sure do hope that when I do get the ultimate weapons I'd feel much more powerful. Kinda like when I first got the Sunflower and the Masamune in FFXII

Mikaiel
04-12-2010, 07:35 PM

You're wasting a lot of time and money.

You can make about 160k in 5 minutes with an Adamantoise. Sometimes they don't give you anything, but you can get A LOT MORE than your 400k an hour.

And they occasionally drop Trapz.

Thanks. Surely that's a lot more enjoyable than spamming death on an Adamantoise.

They aren't that hard to kill.

Go to Eden Hall where the Adamantoise is. There's a savepoint right next to it so it's a great spot.

Summon immediately. It will take out its legs for whatever reason. Debuff it. Make sure you have Auto-Haste. Once you've made all possible debuffs (Deprotect, Deshell, Imperil and Slow), switch to a Ravager, stagger it and do your thing with your summon. Once the other 2 members are back, switch to Syn/Syn/Syn and caste Haste/Faith/Bravery. Then switch to Rav/Rav/Rav and stagger it again. Try to get its stagger percentage to 999% before switching to Commando/Commando/Commando. And then you should be able to kill it before it gets back up. It's a 2 minute fight. Then kill the guards nearby to get your TP back. If you're lucky that's 160k in 5 minutes (it probably happens like 65% of the time). Or a Trapz in 5 minutes (maybe something like 8% of the time). And if you get nothing you can just reload your game and you've only wasted 2 minutes of your time.

And eventually you'll be able to kill it in just under a minute.

bdreason
04-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the tips, but i'm done grinding. I needed to max out my CP anyway, so the way I did it worked out for me.

bdreason
04-12-2010, 09:58 PM
And you have to be pretty stacked to nuke those guys down before they get up. I doubt Gasolina has the firepower, or even the combinations (3 guys with all Syn/Rav/Com) to drop them quick enough.

RapsFan
04-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Having some issues with Mission 12, the big rock guy. Any thoughts? I assume Vanille is a must with Deshell?

Also, how can I jump at the yellow marks?

HisAirness3
04-12-2010, 10:34 PM
So who here thinks that there will more likely than unlikely be a XIII-2? I really want one.....

bdreason
04-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Having some issues with Mission 12, the big rock guy. Any thoughts? I assume Vanille is a must with Deshell?

Also, how can I jump at the yellow marks?

hmmm don't really remember him well. I think just use Ravagers (elemental magic, not ruin) on him... maybe DeShell / Imperial will help.

Once you complete mish 14, you can ride Chocobo's. They allow you to jump at the yellow marks.

HisAirness3
04-12-2010, 10:46 PM
Why am I being ignored by everyone and by you bdreason?

RapsFan
04-12-2010, 10:50 PM

Well personally I haven't made it to the end of the story so I don't really know at this point in terms of a sequel.

bdreason
04-12-2010, 10:52 PM

I'm not ignoring you man, I just don't have an answer. My guess is they will either have a downloadable expansion, or maybe a sequal.

I actually met a guy who works for Square Enix a couple days ago, and we discussed the success of FF13. He said the game was incredibly successful, but I didn't ask him anything about a sequal because we were talking business (real estate).

Next time I speak with him I'll see if I can get a little info about the future of the franchise.

HisAirness3
04-12-2010, 10:57 PM
I'm not ignoring you man, I just don't have an answer. My guess is they will either have a downloadable expansion, or maybe a sequal.

I actually met a guy who works for Square Enix a couple days ago, and we discussed the success of FF13. He said the game was incredibly successful, but I didn't ask him anything about a sequal because we were talking business (real estate).

Next time I speak with him I'll see if I can get a little info about the future of the franchise.
Nice man, sorry about hassling you earlier. Well they already said they have no plans for a DLC, IIRC. The sequel has loads of potential.

This game felt incomplete, at least as far as the information went.

gasolina
04-13-2010, 12:22 PM
And you have to be pretty stacked to nuke those guys down before they get up. I doubt Gasolina has the firepower, or even the combinations (3 guys with all Syn/Rav/Com) to drop them quick enough.
That's right, I just finished my first 5th level crystal. I don't even have a 4th crystal yet.

I tried the Eden hall Sacrifice fights and I did get Scarletites and Perfumes every time. So I'll stick with those until I get stronger.

Another question, when do I even attempt the Titan quests?

RapsFan
04-15-2010, 11:16 AM
I was wondering how many mission people did and when. I am trying to beat mission 16. I had a really tough time with 15 (bunch of Goblins) and am getting killed really fast by the guys that were bothering the cocobos (2nd time fighting them).

I can't imagine being able to beat many more if they continue to get harder. Am I just not using the right squad? Am I just too weak? I am just level 3 crytal for each chacters 3 skills.....nobody has over 3000 HP.

Should I just walk around fighting stuff...not sure if I am overly excited to do that? Should I continue with the chapter and come back to the missions? If I can't beat the missions, what luck would I at moving forward in the game? Other then Snow and Vanielle, I don't have anyone suggessted weapon to build.

I am getting a little frusturated and a few times have contemplated putting the game down.

Argh.

gasolina
04-15-2010, 06:20 PM
I was wondering how many mission people did and when. I am trying to beat mission 16. I had a really tough time with 15 (bunch of Goblins) and am getting killed really fast by the guys that were bothering the cocobos (2nd time fighting them).

I can't imagine being able to beat many more if they continue to get harder. Am I just not using the right squad? Am I just too weak? I am just level 3 crytal for each chacters 3 skills.....nobody has over 3000 HP.

Should I just walk around fighting stuff...not sure if I am overly excited to do that? Should I continue with the chapter and come back to the missions? If I can't beat the missions, what luck would I at moving forward in the game? Other then Snow and Vanielle, I don't have anyone suggessted weapon to build.

I am getting a little frusturated and a few times have contemplated putting the game down.

Argh.
Don't worry man. Chapter 11 kinda kicks you in the nuts. From Chapters 1-10 they give you enemies which you could wrap up real quickly without grinding. Chapter 11 suddendly throws you into a wide open space where you won't probably be able to beat most of the enemies especially in the wide open area.

I was in the same boat as you trying to complete missions and beat that Great Behemoth the first time I saw it. I recommend that you go ahead with the story and find Oerba first. The enemies in the underground mine and Taejin's Tower are noticeable easier than those in Gran Pulse. After you face the boss in Oerba you could backtrack all the way back to the open area and start doing missions.

gasolina
04-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Does anybody recommend Snow's sacrificial circle? This is the only way that Snow can be paired up with Fang as a ravager.

Has anybody tried Snow as a Ravager? I have him in Power Circle but no sense having him in party since damage wise Fang eats him alive.

bdreason
04-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Raps, just go on with the storymode, then come back later and do some more cieth missions.

Gasolina, Snow rides the bench for me. I only bring him in for class A boss fights where I need a a serious tank. Fang can tank just fine and is a better Commando. I chose Umbra for Snows weapon because, like I said, I only use him for tanking.

RapsFan
04-16-2010, 12:03 PM
I just moved on with the story and am loving it again! Will go back to do more missions later.

I was looking back in this thread and saw the post BD made about the ideal weapons you chose. Curious why you chose the Pandora Spear for Fang. Is her ability as a Sab crutial going forward? It gives Fang a high magic bonus....stupid question, but does she use magic? are her SEN and SAB abilities impacted by her magic score? It's max STR is like 610, compared to the Taming Pole (no lock) which is like 920. What should I equip her with and build?

gasolina
04-16-2010, 02:30 PM
I just moved on with the story and am loving it again! Will go back to do more missions later.

I was looking back in this thread and saw the post BD made about the ideal weapons you chose. Curious why you chose the Pandora Spear for Fang. Is her ability as a Sab crutial going forward? It gives Fang a high magic bonus....stupid question, but does she use magic? are her SEN and SAB abilities impacted by her magic score? It's max STR is like 610, compared to the Taming Pole (no lock) which is like 920. What should I equip her with and build?
I know it wasn't directed to me but Saboteurs are essential especially late in the game. For all my parties I have Fang and Vanille starting as SABs. The higher the magic stat for the player the higher the % of getting the debuff on. I think Pandora Spear gives a time bonus to debuffs right?

HisAirness3
04-17-2010, 04:28 AM
I know it wasn't directed to me but Saboteurs are essential especially late in the game. For all my parties I have Fang and Vanille starting as SABs. The higher the magic stat for the player the higher the % of getting the debuff on. I think Pandora Spear gives a time bonus to debuffs right?
Yo bro, did you finish the game yet? Do you think a Sequel or a XIII-2 would be good?

RapsFan
04-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Hey guys,

I just beat the boss at the top of the tower and I got the item that gives you 4 things at the start of a battle (viel, bravery, shell and another I think). I believe someone said this is an item I an dismantle for the 'speed' shoes. I tried it and I got basically nothing. Do I have to first upgrade it to star? It's called the Tetratic Tiara.

Thanks!

I have to say, this game is epic. I have put the same amount of hours into Chapter 11 so far as I did 1 through 10.

bdreason
04-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Hey guys,

I just beat the boss at the top of the tower and I got the item that gives you 4 things at the start of a battle (viel, bravery, shell and another I think). I believe someone said this is an item I an dismantle for the 'speed' shoes. I tried it and I got basically nothing. Do I have to first upgrade it to star? It's called the Tetratic Tiara.

Thanks!

I have to say, this game is epic. I have put the same amount of hours into Chapter 11 so far as I did 1 through 10.

Yes, upgrade it to star, then dismantle and it will give you the Hermes Shoes. Then upgrade those to star, and morph into Speed Shoes.

gasolina
04-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Yo bro, did you finish the game yet? Do you think a Sequel or a XIII-2 would be good?
Yup finished it maybe a week ago. A sequel should be made. The whole game kinda felt like the Lord of the Rings: The fellowship of the ring. The game is definitely sequel worthy and the story is open enough to be that way.

Perhaps bring back the remaining 4 characters and add two new ones. Make Hope older and a less whinier. The story could be about the origins of L'Cie in Pulse or something related to that.

From what I see in the game, Pulse looks a lot bigger than Cocoon, so the game could easily add in more elements story wise.

If there is going to be a sequel then please make the story as serious as the first one. How gay was X-II's story compared to X?

HisAirness3
04-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Yup finished it maybe a week ago. A sequel should be made. The whole game kinda felt like the Lord of the Rings: The fellowship of the ring. The game is definitely sequel worthy and the story is open enough to be that way.

Perhaps bring back the remaining 4 characters and add two new ones. Make Hope older and a less whinier. The story could be about the origins of L'Cie in Pulse or something related to that.

From what I see in the game, Pulse looks a lot bigger than Cocoon, so the game could easily add in more elements story wise.

If there is going to be a sequel then please make the story as serious as the first one. How gay was X-II's story compared to X?
Remaining characters?? For the record I think they will return. What happened to them is returnable. IF you know what I mean.

J_Rock3ts
04-25-2010, 12:14 AM
Just picked the game up today, can't wait to join the discussion. :cheers:

bdreason
04-25-2010, 01:07 AM
I talked to the Square guy today, and asked him about a sequal.

At first, he was like, "ya Final Fantasy 14 is coming out next year, and it's an MMORPG".

Then I said, "no no, I mean a sequal to Final Fantasy 13, like Final Fantasy 13-2".

He paused for second, gave me a smile and a wink, and said "oh I can't talk about that".

HisAirness3
04-25-2010, 02:19 AM
I talked to the Square guy today, and asked him about a sequal.

At first, he was like, "ya Final Fantasy 14 is coming out next year, and it's an MMORPG".

Then I said, "no no, I mean a sequal to Final Fantasy 13, like Final Fantasy 13-2".

He paused for second, gave me a smile and a wink, and said "oh I can't talk about that".
Dude that's pimpin. :pimp: I really hope it comes out, a lot of people think it will I remember this one credibility game reviewer so that it's likely.

Basically the ending was left in a way for us players to choose to connect. So they can continue with a sequel if it sells good enough (which it always will) or you can just imagine it for yourself what's going to happen next in that world. Either way, the fans can't lose, at least that bad. This game has more room for a sequel than X ever did, EVER.

RapsFan
04-26-2010, 09:01 PM
Ok I am fighting the chapter 11 boss....that big dude for the 2nd time. I am getting smoked. I can't imagine how much better my characters must have to be to beat him and I don't want to grind for 10 hrs...but is that whay I have to do? Most of my party is level 4 in 2 of their 3 core skills and level 3 in the other. 3000 + Hps, Snow is the only guy over 4000 (but I never use him).

Any tips? Which party members, para's, accessories....or do I just have to grind?

Also, if/when I want to go back to doing more missions, do I literally have to walk all the way back to the open area of chapter 11?

bdreason
04-26-2010, 09:49 PM
I went back and did cieth stone missions when I hit that boss. He's def one of the harder bosses in the game. If you want to try and beat him without building your guys more, try this stuff.

Keep Imperal on him at all times, especially when he's staggered. Use a Med/Sab/Syn set to keep imperal up, and buffs up on your party.

Use Rav/Rav/Rav to stagger him quickly.

Use Med/Com/Med after he does his machine gun move.

Use Com/Com/Med when he's staggered.

That's all I can really remember. Like I said, he's def one of the harder bosses, and I went back and did 10-15 cieth stone missions before beating him.

RapsFan
04-26-2010, 10:10 PM
I went back and did cieth stone missions when I hit that boss. He's def one of the harder bosses in the game. If you want to try and beat him without building your guys more, try this stuff.

Keep Imperal on him at all times, especially when he's staggered. Use a Med/Sab/Syn set to keep imperal up, and buffs up on your party.

Use Rav/Rav/Rav to stagger him quickly.

Use Med/Com/Med after he does his machine gun move.

Use Com/Com/Med when he's staggered.

That's all I can really remember. Like I said, he's def one of the harder bosses, and I went back and did 10-15 cieth stone missions before beating him.

Thanks...I'll give it a few more trys.

Do you have to walk all that way back to do cieth missions?

Also, I can't figure out what party members you used to make all those combinations. Ah, must be Light, Sazh and Vanielle?

bdreason
04-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks...I'll give it a few more trys.

Do you have to walk all that way back to do cieth missions?

Yes, you'll have to run back, but it's really not that far if you're good at dodging mobs.

Also, after you beat that boss, you can't return to Gran Pulse until the very end of the game... so going back to build your characters for the final run isn't a bad idea.

RapsFan
04-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Yes, you'll have to run back, but it's really not that far if you're good at dodging mobs.

Also, after you beat that boss, you can't return to Gran Pulse until the very end of the game... so going back to build your characters for the final run isn't a bad idea.

I didn't know you can't go back to Gran Pulse....and of course I just beat him! It was an intense battle. I controlled Vanielle and the key was I bought 3 star pendant's and upgraded them to star so I have a 45% resistence to poison.

It was also key to keep staggering him with rav/rav/rav until the chain was over 500% before moving to med/com/com. Did way more damage that way. It was nice to get a scource (or whatever it's called) in by lightning too.

bdreason
04-26-2010, 10:41 PM
I didn't know you can't go back to Gran Pulse....and of course I just beat him! It was an intense battle. I controlled Vanielle and the key was I bought 3 star pendant's and upgraded them to star so I have a 45% resistence to poison.

It was also key to keep staggering him with rav/rav/rav until the chain was over 500% before moving to med/com/com. Did way more damage that way. It was nice to get a scource (or whatever it's called) in by lightning too.

You can still go back unless you get on the shuttle thing.

RapsFan
04-29-2010, 08:58 PM
When doing Titan's quests, do you literally have to fight your way through every path, often having to re-do mission to get to a new stone? I went up the left side first and then am back at the start of the path, but I have to fight guys again to get through.

HisAirness3
05-09-2010, 12:55 AM
Can someone translate those analects to real english? sheesh. :banghead:

Legend of Josh
07-27-2010, 09:23 AM

A few months have passed since anyone has commented on this thread/game. Any additional/new opinions?

http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIII-Xbox-360/dp/B001CMIUYS/ref=sr_1_53?s=STORE&ie=UTF8&qid=1280236261&sr=1-53

Currently $35 on Amazon.

Rose
07-28-2010, 01:48 AM
I just bought it a week ago. and i'm addicted to it. It flows very well, presentation is awesome. The battle system is pretty cool, but a little confusing at first. And I really think the game is good from the get go and I'm only in chapter 8. Although I'm not sure how it's going to take 70+ hours as some people before said considering I'm on chapter 8 with just a tick over 16 hours of gameplay. I guess it's supposed to get ridiculously harder or something? I recommend it highly. I've also never played a final fantasy before so..I'm not a biased guy towards it. Also it's cheaper on gohastings.com

RapsFan
07-28-2010, 11:36 AM
I just bought it a week ago. and i'm addicted to it. It flows very well, presentation is awesome. The battle system is pretty cool, but a little confusing at first. And I really think the game is good from the get go and I'm only in chapter 8. Although I'm not sure how it's going to take 70+ hours as some people before said considering I'm on chapter 8 with just a tick over 16 hours of gameplay. I guess it's supposed to get ridiculously harder or something? I recommend it highly. I've also never played a final fantasy before so..I'm not a biased guy towards it. Also it's cheaper on gohastings.com

Gran Pulse for me doubled my playtime alone. It was chapter 10 I think. There are also all the Ceith missions....like 60 of them which takes up a tons of time. If you just play the storyline then no, it won't be 70 hours. But if you do everything in the game then it will easily be 70. It's like 2 games....pre Gran Pulse is entirely different.

Rose
07-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Gran Pulse for me doubled my playtime alone. It was chapter 10 I think. There are also all the Ceith missions....like 60 of them which takes up a tons of time. If you just play the storyline then no, it won't be 70 hours. But if you do everything in the game then it will easily be 70. It's like 2 games....pre Gran Pulse is entirely different.

OH okay, well the boss of chapter 9 has kicked my ass like 4 times in a row and added almost an hour but still. I'm pretty excited for this to take awhile longer. I've done pretty much everything so far, granted all I can do is not fight certain enemies, but there's been maybe 10 total I haven't.

RapsFan
07-28-2010, 08:20 PM
OH okay, well the boss of chapter 9 has kicked my ass like 4 times in a row and added almost an hour but still. I'm pretty excited for this to take awhile longer. I've done pretty much everything so far, granted all I can do is not fight certain enemies, but there's been maybe 10 total I haven't.

You will love Chapter 10. You will get your ass kicked by tons of enemies....to the point where you literally have to avoid them at all costs. You do a ton of the Ceith missions, followed by the titan quests. But you can't even beat them all until you're super powerful. I think I had to go back post final boss to finish them all. I think Gran Pulse was like 30 hours for me alone. The world totally opens up and is no longer linear.

Rose
07-28-2010, 09:25 PM
You will love Chapter 10. You will get your ass kicked by tons of enemies....to the point where you literally have to avoid them at all costs. You do a ton of the Ceith missions, followed by the titan quests. But you can't even beat them all until you're super powerful. I think I had to go back post final boss to finish them all. I think Gran Pulse was like 30 hours for me alone. The world totally opens up and is no longer linear.

Awesome I'm looking forward to that!

Rose
07-29-2010, 11:53 AM
So far I haven't gotten my ass kicked but the battles are tougher.

RapsFan
07-29-2010, 01:41 PM
So far I haven't gotten my ass kicked but the battles are tougher.

You must be avoiding the real tough ones....maybe just coincidently. The huge turtle things can kill your entire party in 1 or 2 hits. Unless you're way leveled up for some reason.

Rose
07-29-2010, 04:10 PM
You must be avoiding the real tough ones....maybe just coincidently. The huge turtle things can kill your entire party in 1 or 2 hits. Unless you're way leveled up for some reason.

I'm not at the turtles yet when I posted that I was just messing around with the pulse droids things on the fifth ark still. But the boss beat me once and I quit because i almost beat him and then completely stopped looking at my hp gauge. which lead to my death. i was upset lol

EDIT: not the boss but Cid, who took forever for me to beat. BTW what's your opinion on Light's and Fang's best weapons?

RapsFan
07-29-2010, 07:45 PM
I remember where you are. You aren't where I meant yet. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

Honestly it's been a little while, I can't remember what weapons I used. If you go back through this thread there are a bunch of good posts about weapons. I went with whatever they said. I think Lightning's was called the Lion something.....Fang's is whatever gives the improved debuff. Pandora maybe?

gasolina
07-29-2010, 10:40 PM
I'm not at the turtles yet when I posted that I was just messing around with the pulse droids things on the fifth ark still. But the boss beat me once and I quit because i almost beat him and then completely stopped looking at my hp gauge. which lead to my death. i was upset lol

EDIT: not the boss but Cid, who took forever for me to beat. BTW what's your opinion on Light's and Fang's best weapons?
Lights best weapon IMO is the Lionheart, which has quick stagger. This cements Light's status as the best ravager in the game.

Fang is more of a tossup, you could use the one with improved debuff if you want her as your saboteur. I use Vanille as my main saboteur with her death spell. So I go with the Fang's weapon with the highest damage output (I think it has stagger lock as penalty)

Rose
07-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Lights best weapon IMO is the Lionheart, which has quick stagger. This cements Light's status as the best ravager in the game.

Fang is more of a tossup, you could use the one with improved debuff if you want her as your saboteur. I use Vanille as my main saboteur with her death spell. So I go with the Fang's weapon with the highest damage output (I think it has stagger lock as penalty)
Yeah I can't get the lionheart yet, but thanks for the advice. I'm pumped though to get that. I was thinking about using the one with stagger lock.

Also thanks Rapsfan. I combed the thread again last night. Nothing really is available right now that's an improvement over what I've got. and I just got to the turtles fought one died about 3 minutes later lol

RapsFan
07-30-2010, 06:31 PM

Agreed. I had Hope instead of Vanille so Fang was my Sab and Hope was my healer/SYN.

You do definitely need Vanille though throughout the game. I don't think I could have beaten some of the ceith missions without her.

gasolina
07-30-2010, 07:47 PM
I have a buddy whose setup was Vanille/Snow/Hope and starts at SAB/SEN/SYN for bossess. Vanille with a lot of Magic+ with an upgraded Bella wand. Once they get all buffed out, Hope switches to MED/RAV while Vanille keeps spamming death.

Rose
07-30-2010, 11:00 PM
I have a buddy whose setup was Vanille/Snow/Hope and starts at SAB/SEN/SYN for bossess. Vanille with a lot of Magic+ with an upgraded Bella wand. Once they get all buffed out, Hope switches to MED/RAV while Vanille keeps spamming death.

I was thinking about toying around with that except having maybe Fang instead of Snow. either way close enough.