PDA

View Full Version : Trade! Wizards get Josh Howard, Mavericks get Caron Butler in 7-player deal

6thManOfTheYear
02-12-2010, 07:58 PM
UPDATE: Trade is official. Exact details here: http://www.insidehoops.com/butler-howard-trade-021310.shtml

The Mavericks appear to have agreed on the major points of a trade that will send Josh Howard, Drew Gooden, Quinton Ross and James Singleton to Washington for Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood and DeShawn Stevenson.

The deal is not done. But a source said that the pieces of the trade have been tentatively agreed upon.

The trade would require league approval, which could take until after All-Star Weekend.

The Mavericks and Wizards have been trade partners before, when Dallas acquired Devin Harris and Jerry Stackhouse for Antawn Jamison in 2004. That was a trade that both teams viewed as a success.

Washington apparently has become resigned to the fact that Haywood, their center who is having a solid season, would not re-sign this summer when he is a free agent.

That, plus the fact that the Wizards will save a ton of money if the deal goes down, is their motivation.

The Mavericks drafted Howard in 2003 and he has enjoyed great successes, although he has been prone to controversial moments.

He's been struggling this year to recover from off-season ankle surgery but has played well lately. Next season, his contract is a team option, which could yield a payroll savings of $11 million for the Wizards.
http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/02/mavericks-on-verge-of-trading-josh-howar.html

sucks for the rockets who were hoping to get caron

WuTangWizard
02-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Heard it was just Butler and Stevenson for Howard and Ross or Thomas. Makes no sense for the Wizards to add Haywood for Gooden...

RoTM
02-12-2010, 08:16 PM
People are that hard up for cash that they want Caron over Iggy? The Rockets if they take the Philly trade now would have easily one of the leagues best rosters next year if Yao's 100%.

Heard it was just Butler and Stevenson for Howard and Ross or Thomas. Makes no sense for the Wizards to add Haywood for Gooden...

Without adding in Haywood I would think Dallas would have a lot less incentive to go for the deal. Caron alone and losing Howard isn't putting them over the top.

bagelred
02-12-2010, 08:20 PM
That's kind of pathetic for the Wizards. Give away two very good players for nothing. Literally nothing. But don't have to pay Butler next year. Good going.:hammerhead:

BFRESH44
02-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Butler for Howard straight up. It's official.

1~Gibson~1
02-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Dallas has gotten some firepower to go with Dirk now. thing is, how will Jamison and Dirk play together when they play the same position.

and :banana: @ Boston not getting him and Cleveland not doing anything stupid

bagelred
02-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Butler for Howard straight up. It's official.

link?

togaed
02-12-2010, 08:46 PM
The Mavericks appear to have agreed on the major points of a trade that will send Josh Howard, Drew Gooden, Quinton Ross and James Singleton to Washington for Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood and DeShawn Stevenson.

Latest rumor

Basketbolero
02-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Dallas has gotten some firepower to go with Dirk now. thing is, how will Jamison and Dirk play together when they play the same position.

and :banana: @ Boston not getting him and Cleveland not doing anything stupid
Jamison doesn't seem to be part of the deal. They played together years ago and it worked ok though, but Jamison wanted to be more than just a 6th man.

1~Gibson~1
02-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Jamison doesn't seem to be part of the deal. They played together years ago and it worked ok though, but Jamison wanted to be more than just a 6th man.
oh :lol

my bad

Kevin_Garnett_5
02-12-2010, 08:50 PM

and :banana: @ Boston not getting him and Cleveland not doing anything stupid According to Adrian Wojnarowski, Boston will compete with Cleveland for Jamison

Basketbolero
02-12-2010, 08:51 PM
oh :lol

my bad
It's ok, I guess you're so used to see trades involving Jamison lately that you thought this was another one :lol :cheers:

Basketbolero
02-12-2010, 08:53 PM
According to Adrian Wojnarowski, Boston will compete with Cleveland for Jamison
I think that's just Boston trying to screw Cavs chances of getting him. Do you think Boston really want him?

Kevin_Garnett_5
02-12-2010, 08:54 PM
I think that's just Boston trying to screw Cavs chances of getting him. Do you think Boston really want him? I don't really care for him but I'm sure he'd help.

chazzy
02-12-2010, 09:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=4909238

Kidd
Butler
Marion
Dirk
Haywood

branslowski
02-12-2010, 09:13 PM
mavs win

MK2V1GP
02-12-2010, 09:18 PM
This could make the Mavs a legit contender to the Lakers and Nuggets.

Kidd
Butler
Marion
Dirk
Haywood

Terry
Gooden
Barea

Damp
Beaubois
Najera

That'd be a sick 8-man rotation.

WuTangWizard
02-12-2010, 09:26 PM
This could make the Mavs a legit contender to the Lakers and Nuggets.

Kidd
Butler
Marion
Dirk
Haywood

Terry
Gooden
Barea

Damp
Beaubois
Najera

That'd be a sick 8-man rotation.
Gooden is in the trade if Haywood is

PleezeBelieve
02-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Daaaaaaaaaammnnnn, dope-ass deal for the Mavs.

Wow!!!

kurple
02-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Haywood hasn't been better than Gooden this season..

And I'm not sure Butler is that much of an upgrade.

Butler is more of a turnoverprone and is used to play 35mpg and someone will have to see reduced play time = possible chemestry issues

AmazingManning
02-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Mavs rape tihs deal.

ronnymac
02-13-2010, 12:04 AM
[QUOTE=kurple]Haywood hasn't been better than Gooden this season..

Haywood has been pretty darn good this year. especialy on the defensive end.

dirkdiggler41
02-13-2010, 12:10 AM
Haywood is just a rental. He is playing for his contract, not to win. Butler is just as injure prone as Howard. Losing Gooden is not good for us, but if Haywood shows up like he has done, that might be good.

I dont see this making us a contender

Raj Da Dodge
02-13-2010, 12:43 AM
My status about it on facebook: MAN I SERIOUSLY HATE HATE DALLAS...MORE AND MORE REASONS POP UP FOR ME TO HATE THE MAVS...CAN'T BELIEVE THEY'RE GONNA GET BUTLER...EVERYTIME WE TRY TO GET A PLAYER, THEY STEAL THEM FROM US...SO GAY...!!!

I mean I hated them w/a passion already and now the hate just grows...I really don't know what more to say...

LALakerFan4Life
02-13-2010, 01:57 AM
[quote]Wizards-Mavericks Deal Complete

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100206/capt.b7b3892e3d0a437aad4810c27e2d6e8b.wizards_magi c_basketball_doa110.jpg

Josh Howard's tenure with the Mavericks, which began with quality production but eroded into inconsistency and controversy, is coming to an end.

The Mavericks have reached a tentative agreement to send Howard, Drew Gooden and two other players to Washington for swingman Caron Butler, center Brendan Haywood and guard DeShawn Stevenson, numerous NBA sources said Friday.

Though the deal still needs league approval, both sides have agreed on the moving parts in a trade that will cost the Mavericks more money but also brings them more talent, at least in the short run.

Butler is under contract through next season, at a cost of more than $10.5 million. He figures to slide into the role that Howard was playing, although he also could end up starting if Jason Terry is moved back to the sixth-man role.

Haywood, who is averaging 9.8 points and 10.3 rebounds, is in the final season of his contract, which pays him $6 million. The Mavericks will face the decision of re-signing him in the summer.

Stevenson has been a bit player for the Wizards and is under contract through 2010-11 at $4.1 million.

The Maverick will be sending James Singleton and Quinton Ross along with Gooden and Howard, who has had a wild 6

TryToBeUnbias
02-13-2010, 02:01 AM
Damn. Good move for the Mavs. It will be interesting to see how Caron plays with Kidd.

Dave3
02-13-2010, 02:28 AM
This makes Dallas pretty explosive offensively, but I think Caron's defense will be an X factor in this trade. If he plays good defense, alongside decent defense from Kidd (assuming he still plays that well) and the athleticism and long arms of Marion, you have very good perimeter defense along with explosive scoring to compliment the best pf in the league.

The Brendan Hawyood addition is also not a bad one at all either...

JoshCoward
02-13-2010, 02:45 AM
Any Wiz fans help me out here? How's Caron Butler doing this season? Looking purely at his stats, seems bit inconsistent (mainly the whole Arenas fiasco having effect?). How about Haywood?

Losing Gooden is not good for us, but if Haywood shows up like he has done, that might be good.

Losing Gooden and gaining Haywood (based on his last season where I've seen him a bit) is only good for us. Gooden is defensive liability to go with inconsistent offense. I'm definitely happy with this deal.

East River Livn'
02-13-2010, 03:38 AM
Howard must be happy that he's moving close to his boy Obama.

lilmagicjohnson
02-13-2010, 05:33 AM
Deshawn is subtraction by addition.

Dbrog
02-13-2010, 05:45 AM
Why the hell would the wiz do this? Does Butler have a bad contract? Do they save a bunch of cap space?

Niquesports
02-13-2010, 06:50 AM
Any Wiz fans help me out here? How's Caron Butler doing this season? Looking purely at his stats, seems bit inconsistent (mainly the whole Arenas fiasco having effect?). How about Haywood?

Losing Gooden and gaining Haywood (based on his last season where I've seen him a bit) is only good for us. Gooden is defensive liability to go with inconsistent offense. I'm definitely happy with this deal.

Dont see why the Wizz would make this deal. It is easy to seethey want to break up the Gil,Bron,Jamison combo but i dont see why haywood would be in the mix. I dont see a big free agent coming to the Wizz so all the money they save is a waste. ITs best to get draft picksAs far as the Mavs. They would get a solid C a first for them and a really good SF that can D and score.Dont see this trade pushing them past the lakers or Spurs or even the Nuggets.

kentatm
02-13-2010, 08:36 AM
Dont see why the Wizz would make this deal. It is easy to seethey want to break up the Gil,Bron,Jamison combo but i dont see why haywood would be in the mix. I dont see a big free agent coming to the Wizz so all the money they save is a waste. ITs best to get draft picksAs far as the Mavs. They would get a solid C a first for them and a really good SF that can D and score.Dont see this trade pushing them past the lakers or Spurs or even the Nuggets.

How the hell do the Spurs still get respect as a power in the West? Never mind that the Mavs already matched up better with them than any team in the L when they were actually good. Last years playoffs should have spelled it out to everyone that the Spurs are done.

1~Gibson~1
02-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Why the hell would the wiz do this? Does Butler have a bad contract? Do they save a bunch of cap space?
they're trying to save money and Ross, Gooden, Howard, and Singleton's contracts all expire this summer. Obviously they want to be a factor in the 2010 free agency.

Niquesports
02-13-2010, 10:56 AM
they're trying to save money and Ross, Gooden, Howard, and Singleton's contracts all expire this summer. Obviously they want to be a factor in the 2010 free agency.

Ive been a Wizz fan since they were the Bullets but even I dont see why a 2010 Free Agent would want to come to this team. THey bring in Foyle and Miller for what now get J Howard and Gooden maybe they want the first pick I just dont get it.

1~Gibson~1
02-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Ive been a Wizz fan since they were the Bullets but even I dont see why a 2010 Free Agent would want to come to this team. THey bring in Foyle and Miller for what now get J Howard and Gooden maybe they want the first pick I just dont get it.
well maybe they just want to cut salary and start over. Gilbo + Caron + Jamison didnt get the job done so now it's time for the Wiz to rebuild i guess :confusedshrug:

greensborohill
02-13-2010, 11:17 AM

Hey Numnutts, The Mavs are already past the Spurs. . look at the standings. Dumbazz

Niquesports
02-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Hey Numnutts, The Mavs are already past the Spurs. . look at the standings. Dumbazz

Hey Dip shyt look at the Rings you dumb summa of a bytch. Who cares about the reg season the Mavs have yet to show they have the HEART to win in the post season you limp bytch

Niquesports
02-13-2010, 11:43 AM
well maybe they just want to cut salary and start over. Gilbo + Caron + Jamison didnt get the job done so now it's time for the Wiz to rebuild i guess :confusedshrug:

This is just Erine trying to save his job. His draft picks have been bad, the combo didnt work lack of control lost a good coach in Jordan and allowed Gil to mess up everything Cant believe the best thing they can get is Josh Howard. Break things up fine but is that the best they can do :hammerhead:

kentatm
02-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Hey Dip shyt look at the Rings you dumb summa of a bytch. Who cares about the reg season the Mavs have yet to show they have the HEART to win in the post season you limp bytch

the Mavs have taken down the Spurs the last two times they have met in the playoffs.

greensborohill
02-13-2010, 12:09 PM

This is fun

Hey fvcknutz, I thought we were talking about the PRESENT. . . where-in the Spurs are a discombobulate bunch of walker-using AARP members. We beat them in the playoffs last year and in 06, and we'll do it again. I WISH we draw them in the first round. We'll have HCA that's for sure. SUCKITBITCH!!

greensborohill
02-13-2010, 12:10 PM

LOL, typical Spurs posteruing BS "4 RINGS, nah nah nah nah!!" Go home you old fart bags!

greensborohill
02-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Kent,

Why do you hang out in this hell hole?

kentatm
02-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Kent,

Why do you hang out in this hell hole?
They have some good posters here. Their dumb ones aren't any worse than some of the fools at db.com. Plus I like hearing others teams fans opinions.

But to be honest, I use the OTC more than anything here b/c the one at db has turned into a "how can we rag on Obama today?" section

Niquesports
02-13-2010, 12:15 PM
This is fun

Hey fvcknutz, I thought we were talking about the PRESENT. . . where-in the Spurs are a discombobulate bunch of walker-using AARP members. We beat them in the playoffs last year and in 06, and we'll do it again. I WISH we draw them in the first round. We'll have HCA that's for sure. SUCKITBITCH!!

Hey you just learned about basketball in 2000 . The mavs have yet to prove anything but that they can choke in the big games give me Duncan,parker,Ginno and the cast over the Mavs in a big game any day over Dirk the whimp and the Punksters any day you dumb Sum of a Bytch

kentatm
02-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Hey you just learned about basketball in 2000 . The mavs have yet to prove anything but that they can choke in the big games give me Duncan,parker,Ginno and the cast over the Mavs in a big game any day over Dirk the whimp and the Punksters any day you dumb Sum of a Bytch

Game 7 in ot on the Spurs home floor says otherwise. But whatevs. Stay deluded if you want.

greensborohill
02-13-2010, 12:40 PM

Even Spurs fans aren't as delusional as you

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146610

Niquesports
02-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Even Spurs fans aren't as delusional as you

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146610

When the Mavs and Dirk win a title than I will give proops until then they will be know as the chokers

greensborohill
02-13-2010, 12:48 PM
When the Mavs and Dirk win a title than I will give proops until then they will be know as the chokers

In that case, don't give Denver, Clev, Orl, Atl, etc. any props, fvck head. Fvck you and your double standard.

Niquesports
02-13-2010, 12:54 PM
In that case, don't give Denver, Clev, Orl, Atl, etc. any props, fvck head. Fvck you and your double standard.

Hey you lil dip shyt I never gave Denver,Clev,Orl, Atl any props dumb sack of shyt for brains if you get off Dirk dyck and look at it for waht it is you would say lets just wait and see what happens in the big games. But noooooooooooooooo your dumb azz wants to look at the reg season you dumb sum of a bytch learn the game there is a reason that Magic,Kobe,MJ,Bird,Russ,isiah,Duncan have rings and Dirk doesnt it called"HEART" something your dumb azz lacks I can see

greensborohill
02-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Hey you lil dip shyt I never gave Denver,Clev,Orl, Atl any props dumb sack of shyt for brains if you get off Dirk dyck and look at it for waht it is you would say lets just wait and see what happens in the big games. But noooooooooooooooo your dumb azz wants to look at the reg season you dumb sum of a bytch learn the game there is a reason that Magic,Kobe,MJ,Bird,Russ,isiah,Duncan have rings and Dirk doesnt it called"HEART" something your dumb azz lacks I can see

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TCdErEO7OCM/RnKYz5sfTSI/AAAAAAAAAHs/LASfGdzKRSc/s400/DirkManu.jpg

Game 7 . . . . shut the fvck up young b!tch

1~Gibson~1
02-13-2010, 01:00 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TCdErEO7OCM/RnKYz5sfTSI/AAAAAAAAAHs/LASfGdzKRSc/s400/DirkManu.jpg

lol

gasolina
02-13-2010, 01:22 PM
A lot of WC teams need to thank Dallas for beating the Spurs time and time again during the PO's. It seems Dallas really has their number.

Poor Dirk, if not for the Dwade parade and Don Nelson he'd have at least 1 chip, and all these haters disappear

Niquesports
02-13-2010, 01:39 PM

Wow Was this for a Ring thats whats wrong with you dumb young fans do you think Magic,MJ,Bird Russell Kobe would be happy with winning a series no no no no NO you stupid young sum ov a bytch win a Ring and then talk shyt Hey last I looked Duncan has 4 how many Dirk got oh his crack head lover got them has hed ever won anything

Nets fan 93
02-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Haywood hasn't been better than Gooden this season..

And I'm not sure Butler is that much of an upgrade.

Butler is more of a turnoverprone and is used to play 35mpg and someone will have to see reduced play time = possible chemestry issues
Anyone who plays with Jason will be an upgrade, Kidd needs the slashers

kentatm
02-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Wow Was this for a Ring thats whats wrong with you dumb young fans do you think Magic,MJ,Bird Russell Kobe would be happy with winning a series no no no no NO you stupid young sum ov a bytch win a Ring and then talk shyt Hey last I looked Duncan has 4 how many Dirk got oh his crack head lover got them has hed ever won anything

Your attempt at trolling and diverting is pathetic.

You came in and said this trade doesn't make them better than the Spurs. The Mavs currently lead the season series vs the Spurs. They are higher in the standings. They kicked the hell out of them in the playoffs last year. Yet your reasoning for the Spurs being better THIS year is they have some titles from a few years ago. Never mind you said they have never won a big game and when we rightly point out they took the Spurs on their court in a game 7 you backpeddled it to "oh well that's not a title so it's not a big game and doesn't count.". What are you? 12 years old?

I am in awe of your incredible basketball intellect.

Niquesports
02-13-2010, 02:33 PM

You came in and said this trade doesn't make them better than the Spurs. The Mavs currently lead the season series vs the Spurs. They are higher in the standings. They kicked the hell out of them in the playoffs last year. Yet your reasoning for the Spurs being better THIS year is they have some titles from a few years ago. Never mind you said they have never won a big game and when we rightly point out they took the Spurs on their court in a game 7 you backpeddled it to "oh well that's not a title so it's not a big game and doesn't count.". What are you? 12 years old?

THank you for your awe
Any one that know basketball understand there are 2 seasons
the Mavs have yet to prove they are championship players
If I had to bet my money on
DIrk and the Mav
agqinst Duncan and the Spurs
Im taking the Spurs

chitownsfinest
02-13-2010, 02:50 PM
THank you for your awe
DIrk and the Mav
Im taking the Spurs
I'm a huge Timmy fan but they have no chance against the Mavs, Nuggets, Lakers, or even the Jazz unless they make a huge adjustment or trade. Opposing c's/pf's routinely murder the Spurs because Duncan is too slow to guard them one on one and and the Spurs C's are mostly undersized. Spurs also play inconsistent ball through 4 quarters and have had a hard time closing out games against good teams. For example, they had that game against the Mavs where they straight up owned them for three straight quarters but lost when Dirk went off in the 4th with three after three. Too many times I have seen the Spurs get behind, then come back from a lead to tie or go ahead, but then blow it in the end. They also have a huge problem balancing out proper rotations and don't have anyone to limit the opposing teams best player in the perimeter or front court. Ginobili's and Parker's play have both been inconsistent also, not to mention Jefferson and Dice not clicking at all. Duncan, Hill, and maybe Mason have really been the only truly consistent players for San Antonio this season.

Honestly Haywood would have been a nice addition for the Spurs as they need a big to help protect the rim with Duncan. Unless they get a tall big at C or everything starts clicking for the Spurs, I can only see them going to the second round at best.

Hawker
02-13-2010, 03:18 PM
This is good shit. We'll be able to definitely challenge the Lakers and probably get past Denver with this trade.

kentatm
02-13-2010, 03:40 PM
THank you for your awe
DIrk and the Mav
Im taking the Spurs

and yet the the last two times they met in the playoffs Dallas beat them on their own floor in a game 7 that went to OT and then they completly smashed them last year. Dallas was built to beat SA and matches up extremely well with them. SA has never been able to check Dirk even when they had Bowen. So the best they could do was hope Bowen slowed him and they focused mainly on stopping Terry and hoped nobody else picked up the scoring.

Now that they have nobody that can even bother Dirk, they pretty much have to outscore the Mavs instead of stoping them defensivly. As constructed they simply are not good enough to do that. If Jefferson wasn't such a big bust it would be different but the dude has been a complete void for them.

el gringos
02-13-2010, 04:26 PM
This is good shit. We'll be able to definitely challenge the Lakers and probably get past Denver with this trade.

Probably get past denver? Get real, nugs wish they could play dallas in the 1st AND 2nd rounds- there is nothing that any logical person could see that should make you think dallas could beat denver

ZeN
02-13-2010, 05:12 PM
unstickied?

~primetime~
02-13-2010, 05:56 PM
lol...I looked for this thread...I guess if it was stickied that is why I didn't see it...

go figure

so the Wiz are just trying to unload Butler's salary I see?

okay...

The Big Skinny
02-13-2010, 05:58 PM

this.

what they really need to do is dump G-Bert's contract. Somehow find a way to void that sh!t.

once they get rid of the oldies and the bad contracts, they can finally rebuild a new team.

and take this Dallas-San Antonio BS outta here...no1 cares

niko
02-13-2010, 07:46 PM

Spurs fans logic for every argument is the titles they won a few years ago.

RapsFan
02-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Are they even under the cap after this move? The Wiz I mean. What will their situation be for the big summer of free agents?

mamba24
02-13-2010, 07:55 PM
looks like the west got tougher...if haywood and butler are sent to dallas thats a pretty good deal for them...top 4 team...

kentatm
02-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Are they even under the cap after this move? The Wiz I mean. What will their situation be for the big summer of free agents?

if Dallas also trades their TE for Oberto as dallasbasketball.com is guessing, the Wiz will be under the cap for this year.

D-Rose
02-13-2010, 07:56 PM
A lot of that depends on the decision on Arenas and whether he can be voided.

Counting Arenas they'll have 35 mill on the books in the summer...meaning about 17-20 mill in cap space.

bomber
02-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Its official now.

~primetime~
02-13-2010, 08:25 PM
I find it strange that the Wiz couldn't find a team to offer them more, if they were just looking to dump them anyway...

Is this where us Mavs fans should be greatful that we have an owner like Cuban who will take on any contract without care???

go CUBAN!!!

:applause:

should take a few weeks to gell...after that it should be interesting to see what this team will be like...

GOBB
02-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Josh Howard has a team option right so Wizards could just kill his deal and this is basically 3 expirers?

spursrule
02-13-2010, 08:42 PM
http://www.nba.com/wizards/news/trade_100213.html

Washington Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld announced today that the team has acquired Josh Howard, Drew Gooden, James Singleton and Quinton Ross from the Dallas Mavericks in exchange for Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood and DeShawn Stevenson.

"This trade gave us a good opportunity to change our short-term future and improve our long-term future," said Grunfeld. "It accomplished two goals by giving us financial flexibility and bringing a new look and energy to the roster."

Howard has averaged 12.5 points and 3.6 rebounds in 31 games for the Mavericks this season. He missed 19 games due to a left ankle injury and left wrist surgery and also missed two games due to a left thigh contusion and stomach illness. The seventh-year swingman holds career averages of 15.3 points and 6.0 rebounds in 431 games (all with Dallas) and was named to the 2007 All-Star Team. He was originally acquired by the Mavericks in the first round (29th pick) of the 2003 Draft.

Gooden, in his eighth season, has averaged 8.9 points, 6.9 rebounds and 1.1 blocks in 46 games Dallas this season. The 6-10 forward/center has career averages of 11.8 points and 7.8 rebounds over 556 games in stints with Orlando (twice), Memphis, Cleveland (twice), Chicago (twice), San Antonio, Sacramento and Dallas. He was signed as a free agent by Dallas prior to this season and was originally a first round draft pick (fourth overall) by Memphis in 2002.

Ross, a 6-6 swingman, has averaged 2.0 points and 1.0 rebounds in 27 games with the Mavericks this season. He is in his sixth season overall and holds career averages of 4.5 points and 2.3 rebounds in 397 career games with the L.A. Clippers, Memphis and Dallas. Ross, who was undrafted out of SMU, was signed as a free agent by Dallas prior to this season. Singleton, a 6-8 forward, has averaged 2.4 points and 2.2 rebounds in 25 games this season. He holds career averages of 3.3 points and 3.1 rebounds over four NBA seasons (two each with the Clippers and Mavericks). Singleton, who was undrafted out of Murray State, has played overseas in Spain and Italy and was originally acquired by Dallas as a free agent prior to the 2008-09 season.

"Our four new players bring versatility and the experience of playing in a winning situation," said Grunfeld. "Josh and Quinton can each play both the shooting guard and small forward positions while providing athleticism and outside shooting. Drew can play both the power forward and center positions and he and James give us an inside presence that combines skill and toughness."

Butler departs after spending four-and-a-half seasons with the Wizards, during which he compiled averages of 19.0 points, 6.6 rebounds and 3.5 assists in 310 games. He was originally acquired by the team along with Chucky Atkins from the L.A. Lakers in exchange for Kwame Brown and LaRon Profit prior to the 2005-06 season. Haywood was the longest-tenured player on the Wizards roster prior to the trade, spending eight-and-a-half seasons with the team, and leaves with averages of 7.7 points, 6.3 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in 579 games while ranking third all-time in franchise history in field goal percentage (.561), fourth all-time in blocked shots and sixth all-time in rebounds and games played. He was originally acquired from the Orlando Magic in exchange for LaRon Profit and a first-round pick prior to the 2001-02 season. Stevenson spent three-and-a-half seasons with the Wizards, compiling averages of 9.0 points, 3.6 rebounds and 3.3 assists in 236 games. He was originally signed by the Wizards as a free agent prior to the 2006-07 season.

"Caron, Brendan and DeShawn all made significant contributions to this franchise and this community, but we felt this opportunity was too good to pass up," said Grunfeld. "We wish all three players the best and thank them for what they helped us accomplish during their tenures with the Wizards."

KB2009Champ
02-13-2010, 08:42 PM
great trade for the mavs.

as a laker fan I wasn't worried about them before but I am now.

its pretty much between the lakers, nuggets and mavs as to who will represent the west.

D-Rose
02-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Josh Howard has a team option right so Wizards could just kill his deal and this is basically 3 expirers?
4 expirers. Howard, Ross. Singleton, Gooden.

dr8ked
02-13-2010, 08:45 PM
they shouldv'e kept gooden. He's been productive this season

Allstar24
02-13-2010, 08:51 PM
The Mavs just became a real threat.

ProfessorMurder
02-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Woah, finally a trade happens!

People really forget about Haywood, He's solid pretty much every night.

qrich
02-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Wow, loving this trade for the Mavs, and I guess the Wiz got what they wanted and will save some salary.

SCdac
02-13-2010, 09:13 PM
From a Spurs fans perspective... I hate this trade... If it was just a Howard for Butler swap that's one thing, but Haywood included changes it from a 'good' trade to a 'great' one... Props to the Mavs and Cuban for making aggressive moves.

WhySoInsecure?
02-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Mavs are DEEP. Dampier goes from a bad starter to a great backup.

John Smith
02-13-2010, 09:21 PM
4 expirers. Howard, Ross. Singleton, Gooden.

Ross has a player option for over a mil which he would be foolish not to exercise.

PG: Kidd
SG: Butler
SF: Marion
PF: Dirk
C: Dampier

Key back ups:

C Haywood, G Terry

catch24
02-13-2010, 09:23 PM
(sorry for making the fail thread) Didn't see the sticky LOL. Anyway, on paper, The Mavs got 5x deeper--2nd best team in the West.

Reverend Hoops
02-13-2010, 09:34 PM
I don't see Caron Butler fitting in that well and Brendan Haywood is basically a Dampier clone. The Wiz get expirers out of the deal. Looks quite even.

leopoldstotch
02-13-2010, 09:44 PM
my thoughts:

for the wiz, it's basically gooden and howard getting the bulk minutes. singleton and ross will most likely ride the bench, but would love to see them get 20-25 minutes a game. ross showed some flashes when he was with the clippers.

for the mavs, butler and haywood are upgrades over howard and gooden. butler can fill the sg/sf position very nicely over howard, and plays better defense. haywood can replace dampier, and there won't be any expense for the mavs. haywood is an excellent rebounder, and has a bit more moves than dampier. we all know dampier is offensively challenged, and haywood at least has 1-2 offensive moves the mavs can depend on ..... i think. :lol

Kujo
02-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Awesome trade for the Mavs. Howard needed to go. Butler is a huge upgrade. Haywood is better than Dampier. They're now really a legit threat in the West.

phoenix18
02-13-2010, 10:15 PM
WTF IS THIS SHIT???

Are we really trying to give Dallas the title?

ShabbaWiz
02-13-2010, 10:19 PM

They want to start over that's the whole thing. I think it's good

Timmy D for MVP
02-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Game 7 in ot on the Spurs home floor says otherwise. But whatevs. Stay deluded if you want.

"No Manu stay away from him!"

Still haunts me. lol.

Timmy D for MVP
02-13-2010, 10:22 PM
From a Spurs fans perspective... I hate this trade... If it was just a Howard for Butler swap that's one thing, but Haywood included changes it from a 'good' trade to a 'great' one... Props to the Mavs and Cuban for making aggressive moves.

Seriously. I was hoping the Rockets got Butler instead. This is pretty huge for Dallas.

ShabbaWiz
02-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Glad the Wiz made the move. Jamison is next.

Rocker09
02-13-2010, 10:49 PM
Good trade for the mavs

Butler > Howard...

Bond007
02-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Great trade for the Mavs:applause:

bagelred
02-14-2010, 12:52 AM
Washington is retarded. That is the best they can do? They literally got nothing for Butler and Haywood. Nothing. Only benefit was getting rid of Stevenson.....WOOOOOW.....good job Grunfeld. They barely save any luxury tax money. They still didn't get under the threshold right?

I'm sure you'll get a better player than Butler with that mega cap space you'll have next year. Good for yoooooooooooou.

:hammerhead:

04mzwach
02-14-2010, 01:07 AM
The Mavs are legit contenders. No doubt about it.

ProfessorMurder
02-14-2010, 01:47 AM
Are we really trying to give Dallas the title?

I'd much rather have them win than the Lakers. Spurs/Mavs/Nugs can really compete for the west now.

Nets fan 93
02-14-2010, 01:50 AM
Washington is retarded. That is the best they can do? They literally got nothing for Butler and Haywood. Nothing. Only benefit was getting rid of Stevenson.....WOOOOOW.....good job Grunfeld. They barely save any luxury tax money. They still didn't get under the threshold right?

I'm sure you'll get a better player than Butler with that mega cap space you'll have next year. Good for yoooooooooooou.

:hammerhead:
Some teams know when it is time to rebuild.
Getting rid of Haywood gives more mins to McGee, Blatche.
They have Josh now, He will most likely expire...(po)

spursdynasty420
02-14-2010, 02:11 AM
this makes the spurs better against the mavs. howard always went off against us.

Tyreke Evans13
02-14-2010, 02:27 AM
I don't think this trade will help make them a better them than LA; but they could challenge Denver for the #2 seed in the West

oh the horror
02-14-2010, 02:34 AM
this makes the spurs better against the mavs.

Yeah dude, keep thinking that one.

ILLsmak
02-14-2010, 02:44 AM
If the Mavs get Haywood they are gonna be waaaaay better. They might even be able to test the Lakers. Overall, they got WAY better. Scary better.

Edit: Wow... first big trade of the year! I feel like Dick Vitale... all hype. Anyone who doesn't think this puts Dallas into instant contention is trippin'. BUTLER is a STUD, Haywood is one of the better centers in the league... even DeShawn is a great bench player.

ARE YOU SEEEERIOUS? ARE YOU SEEERIOUS? lol. No but, it's on. And I don't even like the Mavs.

-Smak

The Big Skinny
02-14-2010, 02:49 AM
If the Mavs get Haywood they are gonna be waaaaay better. They might even be able to test the Lakers. Overall, they got WAY better. Scary better.

Edit: Wow... first big trade of the year! I feel like Dick Vitale... all hype. Anyone who doesn't think this puts Dallas into instant contention is trippin'. BUTLER is a STUD, Haywood is one of the better centers in the league... even DeShawn is a great bench player.

ARE YOU SEEEERIOUS? ARE YOU SEEERIOUS? lol. No but, it's on. And I don't even like the Mavs.

-Smak

interessssttttttinggggggggggggg................... .......

ILLsmak
02-14-2010, 02:55 AM
lol, not this year. But back when Washington was doing alright he was an impact player. Chex the stats if you don't believe me. People really screwed him for that LeBron fiasco, though.

-Smak

Tyreke Evans13
02-14-2010, 02:56 AM
Is Randy Foye doing good for the wizards? I thought they were foolish when they traded their pick for Foye;

ILLsmak
02-14-2010, 03:02 AM
I'm still thinking about this trade. Dirk has never had a center like Haywood to play with. I'd even say that he never had a player like Butler to play with, either. Howard was 'good' for awhile, but anyone who thinks Butler isn't an upgrade is craaaazy.

Look at it like this: here are the players they have that are legit impact players: Haywood, Dirk, Marion, Butler, Terry, Kidd... then they have DeShawn who will be an X factor off the bench, I predict. People can waste away on losing teams, but everything changes when they jump to a contender. They still have Damp's big ass to bring off the bench, and their back-up point guard (whichever they choose to use) is a matchup nightmare and sparkplug.

Can anyone tell me why they believe this team isn't a real contender now?

-Smak

The Big Skinny
02-14-2010, 03:17 AM
The Wizards are taking a page out of another failure Washington team. The Redskins. They are trading picks, for overrated players, making terrible decisions and failing at rebuilding.

that is all.

ILLsmak
02-14-2010, 03:18 AM
The Wizards are taking a page out of another failure Washington team. The Redskins. They are trading picks, for overrated players, making terrible decisions and failing at rebuilding.

that is all.

WHO CARES ABOUT THE WIZARDS? We're talking about the MAVS.

-Smak

The Big Skinny
02-14-2010, 03:22 AM
WHO CARES ABOUT THE WIZARDS? We're talking about the MAVS.

-Smak

did you forget it takes 2 teams to make a trade?

am i the only one that thinks that the mavs ripped the wiz a new one

oh the horror
02-14-2010, 03:24 AM
Im honestly just eager to see how this new Mavs team will look on the court. This makes them LOADS better. Not to mention Butler, Haywood, and DeShawn bring toughness to the Mavs, which they've lacked for awhile. This can only be good for them....I cant see it NOT working out on a positive note. I dont know if it puts them over the top, but it certainly helps!

ILLsmak
02-14-2010, 03:24 AM
That's what I am saying. haha. The point is that the Wiz are not relevant... I care more about the team I might see in the playoffs.

It takes two teams to make a trade, but not two contenders... and it certainly doesn't take any level of fairness. JHo, Gooden + Scrubs for that package is something I'd take any day.

-Smak

Niquesports
02-14-2010, 05:06 AM
Ross has a player option for over a mil which he would be foolish not to exercise.

PG: Kidd
SG: Butler
SF: Marion
PF: Dirk
C: Dampier

Key back ups:

C Haywood, G Terry

You will find out as the Wizzards did that Butler isnt a good match at SG. He plays much better and more consistant at the 3 . Also you will find out Haywood is not a happy camper coming off the bench . I'd put haywood in over Damp and bring Butler off the bench. Against some teams they can play sm ball
Kidd
Terry
Butler
Marion
Dirk.
This would make a hard team to match up against.

Niquesports
02-14-2010, 05:12 AM
Is Randy Foye doing good for the wizards? I thought they were foolish when they traded their pick for Foye;

Is the Randy Foye that played with Minn. Ernie came to the Wizz and pulled off some great moves now his last few have been horrible. Does anyone really think Lebron,Wade ect... have the Wizzards on there list of teams they hope to play for ???????I thought last year was bad for us this is gonna be a worst year. IF they trade Jaminson I hope a pick comes with it But none of Ernies picks have developed.

InspiredLebowski
02-14-2010, 05:17 AM
Give me fantasy ramifications.

bdreason
02-14-2010, 05:19 AM
Kidd
Terry
Butler
Dirk
Haywood

6th man Marion

buffben789
02-14-2010, 05:50 AM
Even Kobe loves the trade for the Mavs:

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/pages/landing?Trade-approvedand-Mavs-getting-high-mark=1&blockID=180271&feedID=3742

flipogb
02-14-2010, 06:39 AM
Give me fantasy ramifications.

I think Josh Howard will put up big empty stats , which is good in fantasy basketball

Drew Gooden or Blatche might have bigger numbers

Terry's numbers might suffer a bit

Damp might become completely useless

(all fantasy basketball predictions, not the real thing)

Cermet
02-14-2010, 07:08 AM
Wow the mavericks are at the top again. Who will play the SF Butler o Marion?

BlueandGold
02-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Wow the Mavs will have the best backcourt in the west with this trade.

dirkdiggler41
02-14-2010, 09:17 AM
I'm just wondering if the Mavs are thinking of trading Dampier. His contract experies this season and is worth 12mill. With all this money saving going on, we might see a trade for a big guy with a big contract.

Niquesports
02-14-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm just wondering if the Mavs are thinking of trading Dampier. His contract experies this season and is worth 12mill. With all this money saving going on, we might see a trade for a big guy with a big contract.

If thats the case I dont see why the Wizz didnt try and get him to replace Haywood. We saw how well they did without Haywood last year what is Ernie thinking about Oh well maybe this gives the new owners more reason to fire him and Flip.

bagelred
02-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Some teams know when it is time to rebuild.
Getting rid of Haywood gives more mins to McGee, Blatche.
They have Josh now, He will most likely expire...(po)

i realize its time for Wiz to rebuild...no doubt. But that's the best they can do? That's the best package they can get? Just expirers?

No way. They blew it. If anything, force Dallas to give up future #1's or trade them to Rockets and get young talent. They got zero in this trade. Zero. A dozen teams would have gave Wiz expirers for Butler and Haywood.

Epic Fail.

You know its a bad trade when EVERY SINGLE poster on this thread is praising Dallas. No one has said "Hmm....Dallas gave up too much OR Dallas took on too match salary...." Nothing like that. Wiz = Pathetic.

dirkdiggler41
02-14-2010, 11:21 AM
If thats the case I dont see why the Wizz didnt try and get him to replace Haywood. We saw how well they did without Haywood last year what is Ernie thinking about Oh well maybe this gives the new owners more reason to fire him and Flip.

They probly did, but it did not work out ;)
It's kind of sad to see such a bad trade for the Wiz. They should atleast got JJ Barea og Rodrigue Beaubois.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Wiz is not done yet. That is why this trade happend to so early.

Niquesports
02-14-2010, 11:26 AM
They probly did, but it did not work out ;)
It's kind of sad to see such a bad trade for the Wiz. They should atleast got JJ Barea og Rodrigue Beaubois.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Wiz is not done yet. That is why this trade happend to so early.

Your right maybe there gonna trade Jamison to the Cavs for Mark Price.

kentatm
02-14-2010, 02:07 PM

they are not going to trade Damp until the offseason. The whole reason they traded for Heywood is b/c they only had one real C in Damp. They arent about to trade the only other one they have unless they get another C back/.

HylianNightmare
02-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Wow just relized Stevenson got traded I'm super stoked

mamba24
02-14-2010, 04:41 PM
with the buyers at the moment being the Cavs and Mavs....ironic isnt it...you can switch the M & C and its still the same teams.....hahaha...maybe Dan gilbert and Mark Cuban sleep in the same bed...

Mavs got a steal...and Wiz got it up the arse. The cavs are thinking of doing a number on the suns now...well its more like the suns want it up the arse.

I never shy away from lop sided deals...the lakers got their steal...and yes we gave up crap but the thing of beauty was no one knew about it and it was a shock...

now the cavs secret is out and other teams seem to offer if not better offers atleast similar in talent...and i dont know who kerr is kidding but Beasley is better than Hickson..

But yes i would love to see that deal go down...i would love to see two big men clog the lane...and one very great rim attack SF be a jump shooter...

cmon cleveland do it.

oh btw if tony parker and tim duncan pick and rolled their way to beat the suns with amare and shaq...i can only imagine how orlando is drooling right now...

i cant even imagine Amare on the perimeter trying to stop a 3 ball...classic...

atleast hickson made a meal out of lewis...but amare is going to make a meal on the offensive end...if he doesnt get touches he's not gonna play defense...if he gets pulled out of the rotation...bye bye hickson as he will not resign if the cavs try to deny him his all star worthy touches...love drama...

gyu
02-14-2010, 05:20 PM
Wonder who Houston will get for T-Mac now..... this makes me just that much more curious since trade deadline is fast approaching and Butler + Haywood going to Houston seemed to be the only rumor as of late. Maybe they'll just end up keeping T-Mac and they'll just let him play

bagelred
02-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Maybe they'll just end up keeping T-Mac and they'll just let him play

:roll: Good one.

Nets fan 93
02-14-2010, 07:23 PM
i realize its time for Wiz to rebuild...no doubt. But that's the best they can do? That's the best package they can get? Just expirers?

No way. They blew it. If anything, force Dallas to give up future #1's or trade them to Rockets and get young talent. They got zero in this trade. Zero. A dozen teams would have gave Wiz expirers for Butler and Haywood.

Epic Fail.

You know its a bad trade when EVERY SINGLE poster on this thread is praising Dallas. No one has said "Hmm....Dallas gave up too much OR Dallas took on too match salary...." Nothing like that. Wiz = Pathetic.
future 1sts? Dallas learned their lesson with Kidd. Last offseason
All the Nets got for Carter was Alston, Battie. Lee was a throw in with Anderson thrown in too.
All the Bucks got was Kurt Thomas, Bowen(waived) Oberto (traded)
What do you think they could get for Butler, he is 30 yrs old and isnt havin the season he had last year.

Bano114
02-14-2010, 07:32 PM

That was my exact reaction to that post.

gyu
02-14-2010, 10:28 PM
What other alternatives are there? I haven't heard of any rumors involving T-Mac.

Kiddlovesnets
02-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Cant see how this trade make either side better...

bagelred
02-15-2010, 12:15 AM
What other alternatives are there? I haven't heard of any rumors involving T-Mac.

TMac is never playing for the Rockets again. I'd say still about a 30-40% chance of a trade. If it doesn't happen, they'll try to work on a buyout, but even that isn't guaranteed. Maybe they simply hold on to him until offseason.

But there's no way he plays for the Rockets again. No chance.

bagelred
02-15-2010, 12:17 AM
future 1sts? Dallas learned their lesson with Kidd. Last offseason
All the Nets got for Carter was Alston, Battie. Lee was a throw in with Anderson thrown in too.
All the Bucks got was Kurt Thomas, Bowen(waived) Oberto (traded)
What do you think they could get for Butler, he is 30 yrs old and isnt havin the season he had last year.

Remember, it wasn't JUST Butler. It was Haywood too. Lots of teams were after Haywood as well. And what did Wiz get for him? NOTHING. ZERO. Not even a lousy 2nd round pick or something.

Butler + Haywood for no future talent = FAIL by Wiz

spursrule
02-15-2010, 12:40 AM
At this point, the Wizards are debulking the Cancer. Butler was just ok this season, same with Haywood. As a whole, didn't play a whole lot of defense. AND, Stevenson was a serious cancer. Wore Arenas handprinted socks after his suspension.

Not sure how big a gain it was for the Mavs, would have been better without Stevenson, but my guess is they will buy him out ASAP>

Kingsfans818
02-15-2010, 07:16 AM
At this point, the Wizards are debulking the Cancer. Butler was just ok this season, same with Haywood. As a whole, didn't play a whole lot of defense. AND, Stevenson was a serious cancer. Wore Arenas handprinted socks after his suspension.

Not sure how big a gain it was for the Mavs, would have been better without Stevenson, but my guess is they will buy him out ASAP>

is Stevenson really that bad? he's a solid perimeter defender when hes healthy...

Lebron23
02-15-2010, 09:59 AM
is Stevenson really that bad? he's a solid perimeter defender when hes healthy...

What are you talking about?

DeShawn "The Next Michael Jordan" Stevenson sucks.

bucks_ole
02-15-2010, 04:33 PM

God he's awful. I couldn't even believe it when he got minutes, or even started(!!) in Washington, at least this will be good b/c he'll be put in his rightful place now, on the bench with no minutes.

Remember when he had that beef with Lebron? That was so funny, the worst starter in the league jawing with the best, who does he think he is? I also hate that stupid hand thing he does whenever he makes a shot(rarely as is).

The_Yearning
02-15-2010, 05:29 PM
with the buyers at the moment being the Cavs and Mavs....ironic isnt it...you can switch the M & C and its still the same teams.....hahaha...maybe Dan gilbert and Mark Cuban sleep in the same bed...

Mavs got a steal...and Wiz got it up the arse. The cavs are thinking of doing a number on the suns now...well its more like the suns want it up the arse.

I never shy away from lop sided deals...the lakers got their steal...and yes we gave up crap but the thing of beauty was no one knew about it and it was a shock...

now the cavs secret is out and other teams seem to offer if not better offers atleast similar in talent...and i dont know who kerr is kidding but Beasley is better than Hickson..

But yes i would love to see that deal go down...i would love to see two big men clog the lane...and one very great rim attack SF be a jump shooter...

cmon cleveland do it.

oh btw if tony parker and tim duncan pick and rolled their way to beat the suns with amare and shaq...i can only imagine how orlando is drooling right now...

i cant even imagine Amare on the perimeter trying to stop a 3 ball...classic...

atleast hickson made a meal out of lewis...but amare is going to make a meal on the offensive end...if he doesnt get touches he's not gonna play defense...if he gets pulled out of the rotation...bye bye hickson as he will not resign if the cavs try to deny him his all star worthy touches...love drama...

mamba there goes that man!!!

scott0326
02-15-2010, 06:36 PM
What are you talking about?

DeShawn "The Next Michael Jordan" Stevenson sucks.
That he does. I am glad the Wizards made the Mavs take him along with Caron and Haywood.

crisoner
02-16-2010, 01:40 AM
Man the Mavs are gunna be tough now....the West just got that much tougher.

oh the horror
02-16-2010, 03:40 AM
Man the Mavs are gunna be tough now....the West just got that much tougher.

Yeah man, coming out of the west, and into the finals this year is certainly no cake walk.

scott0326
02-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Wizards are reportedly going to buy out Goodens contract.

Drew Gooden is expected to be bought out by the Wizards, according to Adrian Wojnorowski, further enhancing the value of Andray Blatche and JaVale McGee.
If Gooden never plays a game in Washington, both Blatche and McGee should be owned in all leagues. Gooden could end up with the Bucks, Bobcats, Nuggets, or return to Dallas once the buyout is complete. Gooden has yet to show up in Washington, and while the local media is blaming his delay on personal reasons, Wojnarowski seems to be more dialed into what's happening in the league than anyone.

-Rotoworld.

kurple
02-16-2010, 07:28 PM
I welcome you to Denver. (if they can't get someone else)

creeper127
02-16-2010, 07:38 PM
I bet he goes right back to dallas. This is probably a situation they already talked about.

scott0326
02-16-2010, 09:09 PM
I bet he goes right back to dallas. This is probably a situation they already talked about.
Exactly right,

Drew Gooden plans on returning to Dallas after he is bought out by the Wizards, sources tell Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated.

-Rotoworld.com

Makes sense.