PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Jennings may be the least efficient player in the NBA history

Batman
02-26-2010, 01:13 AM
good lord, i think he shocked us all with his hot start. but the guy is shooting 36% FG that is not a typo. takes 15 shots a game and makes about 6. of them. His ppg is down to 16. This guy is in the artic zone right now he is making Young Allen Iverson look efficient. I now see why he didn't get much PT in the Euroleague. He still a great playmaker i'll give him that.

phoenix18
02-26-2010, 01:19 AM
WTF does AI have to do with Jennings? Also, just because someone is shooting 36% doesnt mean they arent efficient.

Did you look at turnover to assists ratio? His defense? I'm tired of this sh*t.

Batman
02-26-2010, 01:48 AM
WTF does AI have to do with Jennings? Also, just because someone is shooting 36% doesnt mean they arent efficient.

Did you look at turnover to assists ratio? His defense? I'm tired of this sh*t.

Jennings is always compared to Allen Iverson

Rekindled
02-26-2010, 01:53 AM
russell westbroo also shot horribly in his rookie season, he is playing like an allstar this season.

RoseCity07
02-26-2010, 01:58 AM
It was just a matter of time before the scouting report got out on Brandon Jennings. Call it a rookie wall, but I think teams just figured out how to play him.

It's up to him to learn and adjust.

Bosnian Sajo
02-26-2010, 02:01 AM

He ignores the entire post and only focus's in on the AI part :oldlol:

ILLsmak
02-26-2010, 02:06 AM
good lord, i think he shocked us all with his hot start. but the guy is shooting 36% FG that is not a typo. takes 15 shots a game and makes about 6. of them. His ppg is down to 16. This guy is in the artic zone right now he is making Young Allen Iverson look efficient. I now see why he didn't get much PT in the Euroleague. He still a great playmaker i'll give him that.

And his team wins...

He's not as bad as you make him seem. You are focusing too much on the stats. As I have said 1,000 times, someone has to take bad shots on a team, but the key to taking a bad shot is making sure the defense works and has shifted so that you can possibly get an offensive rebound. I'm sure Bogut hates playing with such a 'horrible point guard.'

-Smak

airchibundo507
02-26-2010, 02:24 AM
And his team wins...

He's not as bad as you make him seem. You are focusing too much on the stats. As I have said 1,000 times, someone has to take bad shots on a team, but the key to taking a bad shot is making sure the defense works and has shifted so that you can possibly get an offensive rebound. I'm sure Bogut hates playing with such a 'horrible point guard.'

-Smak

How do you know that the team isn't winning despite Jennings?

The Bucks are clearly Bogut's team, regardless. Perhaps Bogut should get more shots if every shot Jennings takes is going to be a "bad" shot.

Go Getter
02-26-2010, 04:17 AM
How do you know that the team isn't winning despite Jennings?

The Bucks are clearly Bogut's team, regardless. Perhaps Bogut should get more shots if every shot Jennings takes is going to be a "bad" shot.

This.

Bogut only shot the ball [if I recall correctly] 9 tmies last game....that is a travesty. Jennings has a long way to go and he needs to learn that his big man is not his last resort but his ticket to the ASG, bigger contracts, HOF {well you know}.

Chuchu
02-26-2010, 04:26 AM
I noticed this at the Rookie Challenge Game during All-Star Weekend, not only was he taking bad shots, but he was also missing a lot of wide open shots. Obviously he's not going to make them all because they are wide open shots, but he should have been able to at least hit some of them.

ILLsmak
02-26-2010, 04:29 AM
This.

Bogut only shot the ball [if I recall correctly] 9 tmies last game....that is a travesty. Jennings has a long way to go and he needs to learn that his big man is not his last resort but his ticket to the ASG, bigger contracts, HOF {well you know}.

Well, they are a better team this year. Bogut was in foul trouble and only played 24 minutes. 7-9 in 24 minutes is pretty good.

If you look at their stats from the last game, you'll see that they shot 48%, 44% from 3, had 12 offensive rebounds and only 9 turnovers. He's an impact player. They are on a 5 game winning streak and 7th in the East. You can say what if all you want, but the proof is that he is on the floor and they are winning. I'll take that over what other rookies are doing in losses.

-Smak

falc39
02-26-2010, 04:29 AM
to add, he's not really on a "winning" team. The bucks are at like, what, 1 game above .500? That's not that impressive. If they were in the west, they would probably be under .500 and not in the playoffs. just sayin

ShaqAttack3234
02-26-2010, 04:30 AM
I know I'm splitting hairs, but he actually shoots 37% and he does make 1.7 threes per game, shoots 81% at the line and averages a respectable 2.5 turnovers. So while he's been very inefficient, it's not as bad as it initially sounds.

AJ2k8
02-26-2010, 04:34 AM
Al Thornton says hi:cheers:

ILLsmak
02-26-2010, 04:34 AM
to add, he's not really on a "winning" team. The bucks are at like, what, 1 game above .500? That's not that impressive. If they were in the west, they would probably be under .500 and not in the playoffs. just sayin

His team is 'winning' more than other high playing time rookie's teams...

The only point guard rookie that is playing better than him on a team that is actually winning a decent amount is Collison, but he's going to go back to the bench soon.

Collison as well as Marcus Thornton are both the real deal.

-Smak

scott0326
02-26-2010, 04:35 AM
Al Thornton says hi:cheers:
Calvin Booth shows Al Thornton his face and Thornton dies so Jennings wins.

DuMa
02-26-2010, 04:38 AM
Hes a rookie, He's in his first year. and he is still learning.

ILLsmak
02-26-2010, 04:44 AM
I wouldn't be comparing him to Steph Curry. Anyone who thought Steph wasn't going to play well in the NBA is a moron. Steph isn't a STAR type of player, but he's one of those 2nd or 3rd option guys. Steph's dad is a bball player and he played college bbal. Say what you want about overseas bball, but I feel playing college (especially for a mid-major like Davidson) is a great place to polish your bball IQ.

-Smak

DuMa
02-26-2010, 04:52 AM
haha he's a slow learner. Stephen Curry is already miles ahead of him in bball knowledge

Everyone learns at a different rate and in different systems. Golden State has a system where if u can shoot the ball, you can play all the minutes u want.

Jennings doesnt have the same luxuries. Skiles also has been known to hold back younger players

Go Getter
02-26-2010, 05:14 AM
Well, they are a better team this year. Bogut was in foul trouble and only played 24 minutes. 7-9 in 24 minutes is pretty good.

If you look at their stats from the last game, you'll see that they shot 48%, 44% from 3, had 12 offensive rebounds and only 9 turnovers. He's an impact player. They are on a 5 game winning streak and 7th in the East. You can say what if all you want, but the proof is that he is on the floor and they are winning. I'll take that over what other rookies are doing in losses.

-Smak

Dude that had nothing to do with what I said.

My point was that an experienced/wise PG wou8ld get the ball to Bogut more.

Bogut FG%>>>>>>>>>>>>Jennings FG%

Not a knock on Jennings it's the truth.

If Jennings has 15 shots then Bogut needs 18-20.

Batman
02-26-2010, 05:23 AM
I know I'm splitting hairs, but he actually shoots 37% and he does make 1.7 threes per game, shoots 81% at the line and averages a respectable 2.5 turnovers. So while he's been very inefficient, it's not as bad as it initially sounds.

nope it is down to 36%. he was shooting 37.0% going into thursday, but went 6/18 to bring his average down.

ShaqAttack3234
02-26-2010, 05:34 AM
nope it is down to 36%. he was shooting 37.0% going into thursday, but went 6/18 to bring his average down.

it's 36.9% now, that's still basically 37%.

Steve212
02-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Kid a chucker.

Andrei89
02-26-2010, 09:36 AM
he is making Young Allen Iverson look efficient.

I stopped reading right there

miller-time
02-26-2010, 09:38 AM
that 55 point game probably messed up his priorities.

LJJ
02-26-2010, 09:57 AM
Also, just because someone is shooting 36% doesnt mean they arent efficient.

Wut?

:oldlol:

gotbacon23
02-26-2010, 10:23 AM
adam morrison as a rookie was less productive/efficient than jennings:

morrison: 29.8 mpg 37.6% fg 45.0% TS, 11.8 ppg 2.9 rpg 2.1 apg 1.7 to/g
jennings: 33.4 mpg 36.9% fg 46.9% TS, 16.4 ppg 3.6 rpg 6.1 apg 2.5 to/g

phoenix18
02-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Wut?

:oldlol:

You heard me. Just because you dont shoot well does not mean that your whole game is inefficient.

LebrickJames84'
02-26-2010, 12:15 PM
You heard me. Just because you dont shoot well does not mean that your whole game is inefficient.

his 55 point gme was good

spree43
02-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Everyone learns at a different rate and in different systems. Golden State has a system where if u can shoot the ball, you can play all the minutes u want.

Jennings doesnt have the same luxuries. Skiles also has been known to hold back younger players
If this is Skiles holding his rookie back Id hate to see what it's like when he takes off the leash, 30 shots a game?

LJJ
02-26-2010, 12:41 PM

No.

When you average 16 attempts per game (23rd in the league!) shooting is a major part of your game, and when you shoot them at a sub 37% clip that is terribly inefficient. Probably the worst % of anyone scoring over 10 ppg.

Maybe you had a very slim point if he was incredible efficient in other aspects of the game, but he also has one of the worst assist/TO ratio's of all starting point guards.

steve
02-26-2010, 12:56 PM
This is an excerpt from Hollinger's chat yesterday that I thought was relevant to the discussion here. It's in response to the question, "Brandon Jennings - rookie wall or returning to the mean?"

The latter. Also, one thing we should point out about Jennings as compared to Evans and Curry -- he's the only who's being held accountable on D, asked to get other players involved and manage a game, and generally do the things that PGs on winning teams have to do. Look, Evans is going to win ROY and Curry will likely come in second, and both are tremendous talents ... but right now Jennings is the only one who's actually learning how to play.

Just thought it was something to take into account before people start writing the kid off.

Kellogs4toniee
02-26-2010, 01:06 PM
He's still a rookie in the technical sense, but the points the TC stated are not without merit.

Regardless of how efficient he is in other areas, his 37% shooting percentage number is definitely something to not go unnoticed. You look at his contemporaries / peers in the same draft class, most noticeably Tyreke Evans and Stephen Curry, they are both shooting at 46%.

Does the Kings or Golden State have an incredibly efficient center like Bogut to pound to in the paint? No they don't, thus requiring Evans and Curry to shoot more, yet they are still shooting almost 10% more than Jennings. This tell me one thing - It is definitely a valid point to point out that maybe Jennings should pound the ball to his 53% shooting Center more instead of taking more shots then him during a game.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I am not knocking on Jennings. He has a 6.1/3.5 assist to turnover ratio, which is much better than Evans and Curry. Yes, yes, and god YES i kno he's still a rookie. It's just that the TC does have a point that his shooting percentage is of concern when he has a teammate like Bogut.

LA_Showtime
02-26-2010, 01:17 PM
He's very inconsistent, but he's learning how to run a team, play defense, and control the tempo of the game. The same cannot be said for Evans and Curry.

xcesswee
02-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Kid needs to stop looking for his shot. Wasn't he shooting around 50 percent back in december or november? Now it's down 13 percent...

nestea()
02-26-2010, 01:26 PM
The few times I saw him play, it looked like he was terrified by contact. Might as well just throw the ball out of bounds then. You can't make a career out of taking jumpshots.

nestea()
02-26-2010, 01:28 PM
adam morrison as a rookie was less productive/efficient than jennings:

morrison: 29.8 mpg 37.6% fg 45.0% TS, 11.8 ppg 2.9 rpg 2.1 apg 1.7 to/g
jennings: 33.4 mpg 36.9% fg 46.9% TS, 16.4 ppg 3.6 rpg 6.1 apg 2.5 to/g

Morrison isn't even in the discussion. He has no game. We're talking about a player that is in the top 3 or 5 in ROY, not a college fitted player who's game doesn't translate to the NBA like most white guys.

GOBB
02-26-2010, 01:31 PM
38% from 3pt range, 81% FT. 1.3 spg 2.5 turnovers. His FG% is poor but I dont know why that is the only focus. What is Baron Davis shooting nowadays?

nestea()
02-26-2010, 01:38 PM
38% from 3pt range, 81% FT. 1.3 spg 2.5 turnovers. His FG% is poor but I dont know why that is the only focus. What is Baron Davis shooting nowadays?

39.6%

airchibundo507
02-26-2010, 01:43 PM
You know, the history of the NBA is a LONG time.

Since the OP is probably a pre-teen, I'd say he is underqualified to make such an assertion.

LbloodOjunkieG
02-26-2010, 02:04 PM
I'm assuming most, if not all of you guys don't watch the Bucks play. Yes, Brandon has been shooting a horrible percentage the last couple months, but he is playing well in every other aspect. He a very good passer and finds the open guy, gets the ball into transition for the easy bucket, is a "team" guy, is working on defense. I've personally been happy with Jennings all season. Sure his shooting is down, but I don't expect it to be that way forever.

John Smith
02-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Good thing the Bucks have two efficient players in Salmons and Bogut.

Kellogs4toniee
02-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Good thing the Bucks have two efficient players in Salmons and Bogut.

That's good to hear that the Bucks are getting alot out of Salmons. Never really liked how he played for the Bulls this season.

phoenix18
02-26-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm assuming most, if not all of you guys don't watch the Bucks play. Yes, Brandon has been shooting a horrible percentage the last couple months, but he is playing well in every other aspect. He a very good passer and finds the open guy, gets the ball into transition for the easy bucket, is a "team" guy, is working on defense. I've personally been happy with Jennings all season. Sure his shooting is down, but I don't expect it to be that way forever.

Exactly. People just run around saying his shooting percentage is XX% like any one cares. Dude is running the offense well and getting everyone involved.

For some people, shooting %= efficiency. Dont know why, but that what they(LJJ) believe.

LbloodOjunkieG
02-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Exactly. People just run around saying his shooting percentage is XX% like any one cares. Dude is running the offense well and getting everyone involved.

For some people, shooting %= efficiency. Dont know why, but that what they(LJJ) believe.

Yep, there is more to the game of basketball than shooting. I can't really blame anyone too much for thinking Brandon is playing horribly, as Buck games probably aren't shown anywhere except Wisconsin. If they were, I doubt anyone watches anyways.

phoenix18
02-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Yep, there is more to the game of basketball than shooting. I can't really blame anyone too much for thinking Brandon is playing horribly, as Buck games probably aren't shown anywhere except Wisconsin. If they were, I doubt anyone watches anyways.
Everyone watches when they play a marquee team.

Bodin
02-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Bucks 29-28
Warriors 16-41
Kings 18-39

Before Salmons showed up Jennings is playing the most minutes on this team and they are winning more than Curry & Evans. Sure if they played in the West they might be worse off but this kid is leading his team into the playoffs. I am not sure what more you want from a rookie. People seem way too critical just because his FG% is low. There is obviously a strong correlation between Jennings playing time and the Bucks record. Yes, Bogut is a beast but he is plagued by foul trouble in like 35% of the games he plays.

chocolatethunder
02-26-2010, 03:17 PM

I disagree. I watch the Bucks games and he takes too many bad shots and shoots too much. He leads the team in shots on far too many occasions. What this does is takes shots away from other players. Bogut needs to get the ball more. Jennings has the opportunity to be a good player he's still young. He has to start taking less shots because it's hard to get that out of a player's head once they're in the league for a while. He also needs to improve his shooting.

Bodin
02-26-2010, 03:29 PM
I disagree. I watch the Bucks games and he takes too many bad shots and shoots too much. He leads the team in shots on far too many occasions. What this does is takes shots away from other players. Bogut needs to get the ball more. Jennings has the opportunity to be a good player he's still young. He has to start taking less shots because it's hard to get that out of a player's head once they're in the league for a while. He also needs to improve his shooting.

Does Jennings shoot too much?
Jennings has poor FG%, but respectable 3PT%. Is that your only knock against the kid? Because it could be a lot worse.
Bogut can't get the ball when he's sitting on the bench, in foul trouble.

chocolatethunder
02-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Does Jennings shoot too much?
Jennings has poor FG%, but respectable 3PT%. Is that your only knock against the kid? Because it could be a lot worse.
Bogut can't get the ball when he's sitting on the bench, in foul trouble.
Yes he does shoot too much. Is that his only problem? No. Did I say that he wasn't good? No, I didn't. Get his nuts out of your mouth. I think that he can be good. He needs to stop looking for his shot so much. What's wrong with saying that? He does need to be a better shooter. I don't care what his 3pt% is because he's not a good shooter. Why would you want one of your worst shooters on the team taking more shots that almost everyone else? Does that make sense to you? That's part of being a PG is to know who needs to get the ball and when based on who's shot would be the highest % shot at that time. Just because you criticize someone constructively doesn't mean you think they suck. He's a kid and has lots of room for improvement, what's wrong with saying that?

LJJ
02-26-2010, 03:41 PM

Who is saying he is playing horribly? People are hard to figure out, they see you pointing out a couple of bad aspects of a certain player in a reasonable manner, backed up by facts, and they start crying like their mommy is getting smacked. Is it really such a bad thing to say a player, a godamn rookie, isn't doing everything right?

The Bucks are playing decent basketball and Jennings is a rookie point, learning the NBA game, showing more than enough promise and probably leading his team to more teams than they would have without him. To top it he seems to bear the burden of being the Bucks franchise player with swag.

One thing he is not doing however, not in any way shape or form, is playing efficiently. It's just idiotic to try and argue that.

LbloodOjunkieG
02-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Who is saying he is playing horribly? People are hard to figure out, they see you pointing out a couple of bad aspects of a certain player in a reasonable manner, backed up by facts, and they start crying like their mommy is getting smacked. Is it really such a bad thing to say a player, a godamn rookie, isn't doing everything right?

The Bucks are playing decent basketball and Jennings is a rookie point, learning the NBA game, showing more than enough promise and probably leading his team to more teams than they would have without him. To top it he seems to bear the burden of being the Bucks franchise player with swag.

One thing he is not doing however, not in any way shape or form, is playing efficiently. It's just idiotic to try and argue that.

:oldlol: Dude, I'm not crying or attacking anyone for there opinions. I thought my post came off in a calm, polite manner. :confusedshrug:

O.J A 6'4Mamba
02-26-2010, 04:20 PM
jennings>rubio

tontoz
02-26-2010, 04:28 PM
The problem with his shooting percentage is that he was shooting lights out to start the season from the field and from 3. Now he is really throwing up bricks. He shot 32% in January and 30.7% so far this month. That is really horrible.

I expected him to come down to earth but he fell off a cliff.

kurple
02-26-2010, 05:17 PM

Rookie AI shits all over Jennings

kurple
02-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Bucks 29-28
Warriors 16-41
Kings 18-39

Bogut?

WorldWarriors
02-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Give the kid a break. He's been asked to do a lot. Curry and Evans don't have near the responsibility that he has on his shoulders.

He's just a rookie but at the same time his team is in the playoff hunt. Lot of pressure on him right now from his coach I'm sure.

Reverend Hoops
02-26-2010, 05:41 PM
http://www.mouthpiecesports.com/blogmedia/2009/02/hughes.jpg

ILLsmak
02-26-2010, 07:36 PM
One more thing... all of this talk about him being inefficient, which perimeter player (especially before Salmons, but even after him) would you rather have taking a big shot? Ilyasova?

You have to give someone a chance to find their shot, too. And if he only takes bad shots and he's shooting 36% then he's pretty good. But we all know he's not only shooting bad shots. He is missing good shots, too.

I really don't see why he is so inefficient. 16 shots is not really a lot of shots... if he's making the defense respect him, especially.

-Smak

phoenix18
02-26-2010, 07:37 PM
One more thing... all of this talk about him being inefficient, which perimeter player (especially before Salmons, but even after him) would you rather have taking a big shot? Ilyasova?

You have to give someone a chance to find their shot, too. And if he only takes bad shots and he's shooting 36% then he's pretty good. But we all know he's not only shooting bad shots. He is missing good shots, too.

I really don't see why he is so inefficient. 16 shots is not really a lot of shots... if he's making the defense respect him, especially.

-Smak

I most definitely agree.

-Smak's BFF.

airchibundo507
02-26-2010, 07:50 PM
These are other guys at his position who similarly average under 5 FT attempts per game.

Paul 14.9 shots per game (20.4 ppg)
Rose 17.5 shots per game (19.9 ppg)
Brooks 16.1 shots per game (19.4 ppg)
Williams 13.6 shots per game (18.4 ppg)
Stuckey 15.9 shots per game (17.4 ppg)

16 shots per game is actually a considerable amount, especially considering Jennings only gets about 33 minutes of action a night.

How the f*ck is Bogut only getting 13.4 shots per game? What a travesty.

GOBB
02-26-2010, 08:08 PM
These are other guys at his position who similarly average under 5 FT attempts per game.

16 shots per game is actually a considerable amount, especially considering Jennings only gets about 33 minutes of action a night.

No one fears Bogut offensively.

airchibundo507
02-26-2010, 08:11 PM

They should. He's a monster.

Jasper
02-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Lets face it , the Bucks are playing above themselves , because this team was basically projected to win maybe 30-35 games.

I absolutely could not understand why Skiles is allowing his point guard to shot at least or more than anyone of his teammates.

If his efficience rate is average to very good that is great , but if you shoot 20 times a game and are making 6 shots that means 14 shot attempts are headed down the other side of the court.
Offensive rebounds are hard to come by.

I watched a few games where jennings doesn't even look to pass, but his priority one find his own shot.
I wish Skiles would reel him in on his shooting and purposely look to pass 'all the time' and make himself the 3rd or 4th option.
** I stated this in other posts , young guards like Jennings needs to find 2 or 3 'his go to' spots to nail jumpers.
------------
At the end of the season I will break down his monthly shooting percentages so that this topic can go to sleep.
He shot lights out the first 7 weeks or so , and then the bottom fell out to an average some where around 25-33%.
The Bucks are not playing great now competing against sub .500 teams because of jennings , it's John S. , Stackhouse , Ridnour with Bogut the center of 'all' the action.

imdaman99
02-26-2010, 08:16 PM
I've noticed his poor shooting %s, but I've also noticed how his +/- numbers are almost always in the + ranges. I don't get it, the Bucks play much better with him on the floor, they actually play winning basketball when hes in there, so who are we to judge :confusedshrug: what do the Bucks feel about him?

Jasper
02-26-2010, 08:43 PM
I've noticed his poor shooting %s, but I've also noticed how his +/- numbers are almost always in the + ranges. I don't get it, the Bucks play much better with him on the floor, they actually play winning basketball when hes in there, so who are we to judge :confusedshrug: what do the Bucks feel about him?

As long as a pack of wolves aren't chasing them down and killing them , I believe most BUCKS are in a rut over him .

imdaman99
02-26-2010, 08:56 PM
[/B]

As long as a pack of wolves aren't chasing them down and killing them , I believe most BUCKS are in a rut over him .
:roll: I meant Buck's fans :lol

godofgods
02-26-2010, 09:16 PM
This is why scoring 50 points, 81 points is meaningless in this era. It's like scoring 20 points in the 80s.

ILLsmak
02-27-2010, 04:20 AM

So if he were getting more like 18 or 19 points on his 16 shots opposed to 16.4, you'd be alright with it? Do you think that's a game changing difference?

How many shots do you want Bogut to have? One more? Two more? Do the same thing you did with Jennings and look up other Cs who are getting more shots. There are not many... and when there is a difference, it's so small it's not worth mentioning.

-Smak

yobore
02-27-2010, 10:26 AM
they're starting too. He is becoming automatic in single coverage

Lyoto15
02-27-2010, 10:33 AM
His FG % doesn't show, but I actually think he is having a very good rookie season.

Samurai Swoosh
02-27-2010, 05:42 PM
This is why scoring 50 points, 81 points is meaningless in this era. It's like scoring 20 points in the 80s.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/MitchMatch/qx436v.gif

DuMa
02-27-2010, 05:43 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/MitchMatch/qx436v.gif
:roll:

ILLsmak
02-27-2010, 10:56 PM
haha, that's a funny gif. It really does sum up a lot of ISH experiences, too.

-Smak

JayGuevara
02-28-2010, 01:40 AM
Russell Westbrook shot below 40% as a rookie, with 27% from 3, and averaging over 13 shots a game. He averaged 5 assists, and over 3 turnovers a game.

This year, he's at like 42% (still up and down, but he's getting better), and becoming a legit triple double threat any given night. He still averages 3 turnovers but is up to almost 8 assists on the year. He improved considerably in a year and will continue to improve.

Now, Jennings has better averages than a rookie Westbrook in every category besides overall FG%, and rebounds in .9 additional minutes per game. So he's not doing that bad. And he will continue to improve also.

Spike Spiegel
02-28-2010, 03:00 AM

Are you ****ing kidding me? Miami had their ENTIRE defensive game plan based around taking him out of the game today. He is CONSTANTLY facing a double-team night in and night out. Just because you don't respect it doesn't mean the rest of the league isn't.

On topic, Jennings is still running the offense well, so as long as he's doing that, I don't mind the sub-par FG% as much. The only complaint I have is that he pulls up for the J too quickly too often in the pick and roll game.

adamcz
02-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Couple things to reply to - first of all, this is Bogut's team, not Jennings. Jennings is showing tons of potential, but his 35% shooting obviously isn't the specific reason the Bucks are so good. It's because Bogut is an elite defender, and a selfless team player. He's really coming into his own this year, and it's a joke that he wasn't named an allstar. The Bucks were projected to win 26 games by pretty much every writer except Dave Berri.

I think Jennings will become a top 10, maybe even top 5 point guard. But for now, he has some very real holes in his game, leading with shot selection, and also ability to finish at the rim. He also cheats a bit on defense, and goes under way too many picks for such a quick guy.

iamgine
02-28-2010, 08:54 AM
Bob Cousy is the least efficient player in NBA history.

ILLsmak
02-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Couple things to reply to - first of all, this is Bogut's team, not Jennings. Jennings is showing tons of potential, but his 35% shooting obviously isn't the specific reason the Bucks are so good. It's because Bogut is an elite defender, and a selfless team player. He's really coming into his own this year, and it's a joke that he wasn't named an allstar. The Bucks were projected to win 26 games by pretty much every writer except Dave Berri.

I think Jennings will become a top 10, maybe even top 5 point guard. But for now, he has some very real holes in his game, leading with shot selection, and also ability to finish at the rim. He also cheats a bit on defense, and goes under way too many picks for such a quick guy.

I think it's Bogut's team because Bogut has been there longer, was a higher pick (as a number 1 pick you basically have the franchise label), and is a center.

I am starting to like the bucks and if they play their cards right they can be a contender soon (assuming they keep the core guys.)

I'm not really an expert on bucks bball, but I think those two play well together. Salmons is a great addition. Now all they need is a couple more pieces.... a power forward would be a good start.

Edit: And those who hate on the Jennings/Bogut tandem need to realize how garbage their team really is. They are definitely squeezing every last drop.

-Smak

adamcz
02-28-2010, 09:35 AM
I think it's Bogut's team because Bogut has been there longer, was a higher pick (as a number 1 pick you basically have the franchise label), and is a center. He's also by far their best player.

GOBB
02-28-2010, 09:43 AM
See the difference with 8 games early in the season vs now?

Are you ****ing kidding me? Miami had their ENTIRE defensive game plan based around taking him out of the game today. He is CONSTANTLY facing a double-team night in and night out. Just because you don't respect it doesn't mean the rest of the league isn't.

Who else do the Bucks have on the court? Why wouldnt Miami do that? Make the others try to beat you instead. Not like Bucks have scorers in abundance on the team.

Ian
02-28-2010, 02:23 PM
See the difference with 8 games early in the season vs now?

Who else do the Bucks have on the court? Why wouldnt Miami do that? Make the others try to beat you instead. Not like Bucks have scorers in abundance on the team.

Oh, no not at all: http://www.nba.com/games/20100227/MILMIA/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp0020900872

I mean, it's not like 4 players had over 10 points, 3 over 15. This can be said just about every game. Bogut, Jennings, Salmons, Delfino, and Ilyasova almost always have 10+ a game.

Bogut is the greatest offensive threat on our team, hands down. He is double teamed from the first few minutes of the game, and still knocks down shot after shot. Just because it's the Milwaukee Bucks doesn't mean they deserve credit when due.

O.J A 6'4Mamba
02-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Bob Cousy is the least efficient player in NBA history.
this

chocolatethunder
02-28-2010, 06:48 PM

Ok wait a second. I was saying this very same stuff after he dropped 55 and you were calling me a hater and all this other BS. Now you wanna say what exactly what I was saying? Damn.

LebrickJames84'
02-28-2010, 09:11 PM
jennings still get wins.

airchibundo507
02-28-2010, 09:12 PM
jennings still get wins.

So does Adam Morrison.

adamcz
02-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Ok wait a second. I was saying this very same stuff after he dropped 55 and you were calling me a hater and all this other BS. Now you wanna say what exactly what I was saying? Damn.
Let me get this straight - back when Jennings was shooting over 50%, you wanted me to factor in things that would happen in the future and call him out on the holes he hadn't displayed yet?

The really stupid thing about your post, is that you seem to be ignoring the 38 consecutive field goal made streak that he will put up in the year 2014.

unknown101
02-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Just looked it up.

Among eligible players this season jennings has the worst FG% (Not sure if someone mentioned this yet, didnt feel like reading every post)

On the season he has made 338/915 fg, 239/655 2 point shots.

GOBB
02-28-2010, 09:34 PM
7gms in Jennings FG% was 50% on the dot. From there it dropped. I dont know where he was shooting over 50% Maybe after 2 NBA games he was. :oldlol:

Fatal9
02-28-2010, 09:37 PM
not since the 60s has a player taken more than 15 shots and hit less than 38% of them...so yes, you may be right.

like how people jumped the gun a week into the season...like a bigger sample size from his time in Europe doesn't mean anything.

unknown101
02-28-2010, 09:42 PM
not since the 60s has a player taken more than 15 shots and hit less than 38% of them...so yes, you may be right.

like how people jumped the gun a week into the season...like a bigger sample size from his time in Europe doesn't mean anything.

Yea beginning of the year everyone, me included, were praising not just his scoring, but his actual shooting. He had a good month, then it all went downhill

adamcz
02-28-2010, 09:44 PM
7gms in Jennings FG% was 50% on the dot. From there it dropped. I dont know where he was shooting over 50% Maybe after 2 NBA games he was. :oldlol:
Nonetheless, I was asked how I could like Jennings' volume shooting (this is back around the 55 point game), when in years past I had criticized Iverson's volume shooting.

The big difference is that I don't criticize guys for taking and making a bunch of shots. If you're hitting all your shots, then the more you can take, the better. Nobody's ever seen me complain about Chris Paul and his 50% shooting for that reason. This is basic basketball.

Now that Jennings' shooting has dropped into the toilet, I've been critical of his shot selection. I didn't do it after the first game of poor shooting, or even the first month. But when he had been shooting poorly for several months on end, I think he should have changed up his shot selection. I really don't see the inconsistency. Circumstances changed and thus my opinion changed.

Fatal9
02-28-2010, 09:53 PM
shooting 31.1% for Feb after coming off a blistering 32.4% shooting month in January. better than Rubio? :oldlol:

do teams even get up on him anymore? I'd play him for the pass every time.

GOBB
02-28-2010, 10:04 PM
At the end of the day? He's still a rookie. Why be so critical of him? He wasnt taken #1 overall (altho adamcz would have). Its like FG% is the only thing fans care about. You dont even have to watch the shots he takes within a game. You see the stat and attack. Not defending the FG%, its poor (as I've mentioned) but he does other things that no one cares about UNTIL he does them bad. And again...a rookie. No one really digs in deep to blast how Baron Davis shoots from the field. :confusedshrug:

And until Ricky Rubio grows a pair of nads and comes to America? Who knows who will end up the better player. For not its pure speculation. But I'm sure if Rubio doesnt shoot so efficiently, defenders will highlight the other areas of his game worth mentioning unlikes Jennings.

Yung D-Will
02-28-2010, 10:24 PM
lol rookie

GOBB
02-28-2010, 10:26 PM
lol rookie

My bad, 4th year player.

adamcz
02-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Why be so critical of him? He wasnt taken #1 overall (altho adamcz would have).I would normally assume that somebody saying this is just trying to instigate a response, but since it's you, I feel there's a good chance you legitimately don't understand the discussions that you participate in.

When I said after the 55 point game that there's a chance he would have been taken #1 overall in a re-do, I was not saying that I would have taken Jennings #1 at the time of the draft. I was stating the obvious, which is that GMs would love to gaze into a crystal ball pre-draft and find out what players would do as pros. And if they had that magical ability, it would actually influence the draft order. Believe it or not (and I know you don't), NBA GMs would value actual NBA results moreso than college results when deciding who to pick.

For some weird reason you kept saying that "it's just 8 games, and that wouldn't change anything," even though 8 college games in the NCAA tourney would have changed everything. Poor logic.

Its like FG% is the only thing fans care about. You dont even have to watch the shots he takes within a game. You see the stat and attack. Not defending the FG%, its poor (as I've mentioned) but he does other things that no one cares about UNTIL he does them bad. And again...a rookie. No one really digs in deep to blast how Baron Davis shoots from the field. :confusedshrug:You have a messed up idea of what "attacking" is. I said that Jennings is a rookie with a ton of potential, who I believe will eventually become a definite top 10, and possible top 5 PG. I said that in this thread!

Until then, he has holes in his game, and I'm realistic about pointing them out. He has horrible shot selection, and it's a fact. I never said he won't eventually fix it, or that it's weird for a rookie to come into the league unpolished.

chocolatethunder
02-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Let me get this straight - back when Jennings was shooting over 50%, you wanted me to factor in things that would happen in the future and call him out on the holes he hadn't displayed yet?

The really stupid thing about your post, is that you seem to be ignoring the 38 consecutive field goal made streak that he will put up in the year 2014.
Back up a second there tiger. What I said was that I didn't like him taking a bunch of shots and that he needed to get others involved (like Bogut). I don't give a crap if he makes a bunch of shots one game that are bad shots. Just because they go in that game doesn't make them good shots. No I called him out on the problems that were obvious at the time which you b i t c h e d at me for and now you agree with me about. I also said that I thought he had the chance to be really good but you ignored all of that. Now you are saying the same thing. It's comical.

magnax1
02-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Jennings is still a great player. A huge part of Boguts big season has been his ability to play off of Jennings and play the pick and roll with him. Even though his stats aren't that great, if you watch Jennings, he has a real impact on the game.

GOBB
02-28-2010, 11:56 PM
When I said after the 55 point game that there's a chance he would have been taken #1 overall in a re-do, I was not saying that I would have taken Jennings #1 at the time of the draft. I was stating the obvious, which is that GMs would love to gaze into a crystal ball pre-draft and find out what players would do as pros. And if they had that magical ability, it would actually influence the draft order. Believe it or not (and I know you don't), NBA GMs would value actual NBA results moreso than college results when deciding who to pick.

GMs wouldnt have taken him #1 overall after 8gms.

You have a messed up idea of what "attacking" is.

I didnt say you attacked him. Speaking in general, hence this thread and some of the replies.

GOBB
02-28-2010, 11:57 PM
Back up a second there tiger. What I said was that I didn't like him taking a bunch of shots and that he needed to get others involved (like Bogut). I don't give a crap if he makes a bunch of shots one game that are bad shots. Just because they go in that game doesn't make them good shots. No I called him out on the problems that were obvious at the time which you b i t c h e d at me for and now you agree with me about. I also said that I thought he had the chance to be really good but you ignored all of that. Now you are saying the same thing. It's comical.

:applause:

GiveItToBurrito
03-01-2010, 12:58 AM
He can't shoot at all, but in his defense, he hardly ever turns the ball over and he creates a lot of assists for a rookie point guard. I think people expect him to be this great scoring point guard, when he's really best facilitating.

ILLsmak
03-01-2010, 01:52 AM
Haha, people are so susceptible to hype!

Dude can shoot. He started out well and now he's kind of bricking. His ability to shoot, at this point, is probably somewhere between where he was at the beginning (around 20 ppg) and where he is now. He is producing less as the year goes on, but it's arguable that his team is getting better each month as well. Nobody really thinks this guy is a 30-35% jump shooter, do they?

Plus he's still wetting from 3. STOP HATING!

-Smak

Kiddlovesnets
03-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Well even an NBDL player can average 15-16 ppg if they are allowed to shoot 36% from the field. Jennings is just a joke in NBA now.

indiefan24
03-01-2010, 09:07 AM

but but but....he scored 55 in a game once

chocolatethunder
03-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Haha, people are so susceptible to hype!

Dude can shoot. He started out well and now he's kind of bricking. His ability to shoot, at this point, is probably somewhere between where he was at the beginning (around 20 ppg) and where he is now. He is producing less as the year goes on, but it's arguable that his team is getting better each month as well. Nobody really thinks this guy is a 30-35% jump shooter, do they?

Plus he's still wetting from 3. STOP HATING!

-Smak

38% is "wetting" form 3?

ILLsmak
03-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Yes... yes it is.

-Smak

airchibundo507
03-01-2010, 10:38 AM
38% is "wetting" form 3?

Have you played basketball before?

35% is a mediocre percentage.

37% is a solid percentage.

+40% is elite.

ILLsmak
03-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Have you played basketball before?

35% is a mediocre percentage.

37% is a solid percentage.

+40% is elite.

Yeah when I was in the NBA, I was hitting 38% and it sure felt like I was wetting. But then someone told me I had to shoot 2% better to be elite... so I retired.

-Smak

dough
03-01-2010, 10:53 AM
There's only one player who shot under 36% FG, took more than 16 shots/game and had 2.4 to's. Charles Williams during the 69/70 season shot .359% from the field, had 3.1 to's (and just 3.6 ast) while taking almost 21 shots a game.

Jennings right now shoots 36.9%, takes 15.6 shots a game and has 2.4 to's a game. You could say that's historically bad, here are his peers when you search for a player who took over 15 shots a game against a fg% of less than 38% and who have had (more than) 2.4 to's/game:

Rk Player Season Lg G MP FGA AST TOV FG%
1 Brandon Jennings Oct-09 NBA 59 33.2 15.6 6.1 2.4 0.368
2 Charles Williams 1968-69 ABA 66 34.6 19.7 2.5 3.1 0.373
3 Jamal Mashburn 1995-96 NBA 18 37.2 21.3 2.8 3.1 0.379
4 Charles Williams 1969-70 ABA 26 35.6 20.7 3.6 3.1 0.359

If you'd lower the amount of to/game to 2.0 you could add two Chico Vaughn ABA seasons. So Brandon right now is in a select company of two ABA players and Jamal Mashburn's 18 game season where he played pointforward on one leg.

Lakas Fan Yo
03-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Jennings sucks. It was hilarious how all NBA fans were endlessly bashing his coach in Europe and saying "they didn't use him properly" and all that other crap. When anyone who saw him play in Europe saw how terrible he was. His coaches got sick of losing games - that is why they benched him.

As for comparing him to Rubio, that's setting the bar pretty low now. Rubio is so overrated it's absurd. Just an average point guard in Europe and even then he probably is better than Jennings. Yeah "his coach was an idiot".:lol

dough
03-01-2010, 02:40 PM
His coaches got sick of losing games - that is why they benched him.

And yet he's running the point for a winning team in the NBA. On a team filled with journeymen.

liljohnnywall
03-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Jennings sucks. It was hilarious how all NBA fans were endlessly bashing his coach in Europe and saying "they didn't use him properly" and all that other crap. When anyone who saw him play in Europe saw how terrible he was. His coaches got sick of losing games - that is why they benched him.

As for comparing him to Rubio, that's setting the bar pretty low now. Rubio is so overrated it's absurd. Just an average point guard in Europe and even then he probably is better than Jennings. Yeah "his coach was an idiot".:lol

John Wall is better than both Rubio and Jennings

ILLsmak
03-02-2010, 09:19 AM
John Wall is broke.

No, but... I just wanted to come in here and say one thing, assuming that the Bucks make the playoffs, I am going to make a bold prediction:

After his first round series (probably a loss, possibly a sweep or 5 game out), you guys will understand how good he is and stop saying things like he is garbage.

Bookmark it.

-Smak

lukekarts
03-02-2010, 10:28 AM
This thread is pathetic.

Jennings is shooting badly, but he's still a great point guard. His team have won as many games as last season - with 20 games to spare (!)- with a largely unchanged roster. In fact, they let Richard Jefferson (20PPG on 44% last year) go for next to nothing, and they've barely had Michael Redd healthy all year. Winning games, what a travesty :confusedshrug:

The addition of Jennings has basically put them right into contention for the playoffs, he's leading all rookie point guards in assists. Give him time and he'll get back to his best shooting form.

The hate he's getting here is so pathetic. Man I bet the Bucks are gutted they selected him with the 10th pick. They could have had Terrence Williams, Gerald Henderson or Tyler Hansborough with that pick!!

Killuminati90
03-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Everybody kissing Jenning`s ass in November, and now everybody bashing him in March, gtfo here opportunistic *****.

Jasper
03-02-2010, 11:50 PM
There's only one player who shot under 36% FG, took more than 16 shots/game and had 2.4 to's. Charles Williams during the 69/70 season shot .359% from the field, had 3.1 to's (and just 3.6 ast) while taking almost 21 shots a game.

Jennings right now shoots 36.9%, takes 15.6 shots a game and has 2.4 to's a game. You could say that's historically bad, here are his peers when you search for a player who took over 15 shots a game against a fg% of less than 38% and who have had (more than) 2.4 to's/game:

Rk Player Season Lg G MP FGA AST TOV FG%
1 Brandon Jennings Oct-09 NBA 59 33.2 15.6 6.1 2.4 0.368
2 Charles Williams 1968-69 ABA 66 34.6 19.7 2.5 3.1 0.373
3 Jamal Mashburn 1995-96 NBA 18 37.2 21.3 2.8 3.1 0.379
4 Charles Williams 1969-70 ABA 26 35.6 20.7 3.6 3.1 0.359

If you'd lower the amount of to/game to 2.0 you could add two Chico Vaughn ABA seasons. So Brandon right now is in a select company of two ABA players and Jamal Mashburn's 18 game season where he played pointforward on one leg.
great job Dough.
I was going to do a break down per month of how his stats have gone backwards ... but this post is a good barometer for people to see and hopefully understand.
thanx

SEEBASS1234
03-03-2010, 01:44 AM
It's his rookie year. give him a break

mcgeorge
03-03-2010, 01:47 AM
Give me a break. You guys are unbelievable.

First and foremost yes that is a terrible percentage. But lets looks at this from a couple angles.

1. He has never played this many minutes in his life. The kid is still a rookie after all and played sparingly last year. Have you seen how skinny dude is? It is no wonder he is losing his legs as the year progresses.

2. He is still one of the best scoring options on the Bucks. Due to this he sees a ridiculous amount of defensive attention as well as is the one taking shots at the end of the shot clock.

3. He is on a WINNING team fighting for the playoffs and is I believe the high assist man for rookies. Hate more and blind your selves from the truth that this kid is the best thing to happen to the Bucks in a long time and yes the 55 point game was random but he is a good young player who has so much room to improve.

Is he frustrating at times? Yes. Does he sometimes just jack up a jump shot or fail to get the hot man (Bogut) the ball? Yes. He also makes the team run and works his butt off out there. He is young and will improve. He is a playmaker who needs to work on his shot.

Haters gonna hate though I suppose.

Lakas Fan Yo
03-03-2010, 05:57 AM
He didn't play sparignly last year. Why do people keep making up that nonsense? He was Roma's starting point guard at first, then they moved him to starting SG. Then they moved him to backup PG/SG 6th man.

Then they moved him to like the 8-9 man in the rotation. Then finally they benched him, and lastly for the playoffs they cut him from the roster. The simple reason was because he kept getting worse and worse as the season went on. He started off fairly fine but with each progressive month of the season his play got worse and worse. As teams scouted him and adjusted to him they more and more exposed him. Due to his very poor shooting, very poor shot selection, and very low basketball IQ.

This "he played sparingly" is total crap. Superstars usually log 25 minutes a game in Europe and Jennings was getting that early in the season and only got less after he kept playing so bad for so long. Even then he had like 18-19 minutes a game for the season. How is that "played sparingly"?

Just face it, he is following the same exact pattern he did in Europe last year. He gets worse and worse as the season progresses. He got so bad by the end of last season that Roma's third string point guard replaced him on the roster.

Jennings is a glorified Rafer Alston minus Alston's basketball IQ and defense. I really don't think NBA fans have any idea how awful he was in Europe and they just talk nonsense and make up whatever regarding it. Typical of how NBA fans relate the European game - they just make up whatever suits them about it.

The fact is that he was regularly getting schooled and abused game after game towards the stretch run of last year. I don't think it's a coincidence that in his first NBA season he is also getting worse and worse as the season goes on.

The ONLY thing Jennings is better at this season is his outside shooting, which he obviously worked on over the summer. Last year he could not shoot the outside shot and now he can. So I'm not saying he can't or won't improve and there is no denying that he has a lot of tools and talent, but at the moment he really does suck. People are just making up excuses for him, just like they did last year.

Qwertyazerty
03-03-2010, 07:43 AM

Little off/on topic:

Rubio
Starting Pg in FC Barcelona with only 3 losses this season (all competition included, ACB, Euroleague, Spain King's cup).
Named best Pg in ACB (2007-2008)
Named ACB best defender (2008-2009)
European young "under 22" player of the year (2007-2008-2009)

ACB 2009-2010:
Ranks 2nd in steals per game (2.39 spg)
Ranks 3rd in assists per game (5 apg in FIBA rules)
43% from the three points line (FIBA line, I know it)
47% from 2 points
76% form the free throw line (in a championship contender team

Lakas Fan Yo
03-03-2010, 09:51 PM
[QUOTE=Qwertyazerty]Little off/on topic:

Rubio
Starting Pg in FC Barcelona with only 3 losses this season (all competition included, ACB, Euroleague, Spain King's cup).
Named best Pg in ACB (2007-2008)
Named ACB best defender (2008-2009)
European young "under 22" player of the year (2007-2008-2009)

ACB 2009-2010:
Ranks 2nd in steals per game (2.39 spg)
Ranks 3rd in assists per game (5 apg in FIBA rules)
43% from the three points line (FIBA line, I know it)
47% from 2 points
76% form the free throw line (in a championship contender team