PDA

View Full Version : Larry Bird : "Dwight Howard wouldnt start in the 80s"

Dizzle-2k7
03-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Anyone watch the HBO documentary the other night? It was very fascinating. Larry Bird said that the 80s was the toughest era in sports history, and that Dwight Howard "wouldnt even start in the 80s"

:eek:

L.Kizzle
03-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Dwight might be worse than Kevin Willis back in the 80s.

chazzy
03-15-2010, 07:56 PM
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/8931/yalancobanio2.jpg

/thread

Skyscraper
03-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Larry Bird wouldn't be starting in today's league

magnax1
03-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Lol. Thats just stupid. I mean, if he was on the Lakers, or Sixers, or Knicks he wouldn't, but hes better then a guy like Parish. I think he might not be as good as Bogut this year though.

Real Men Wear Green
03-15-2010, 07:57 PM
A little bit of hyperbole, if you're quoting him accurately...Howard's lack of skill may have kept him from being a featured offensive player but his d and rebounding would have gotten him a lot of pt.

Waking_Life
03-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Now thatz just crazy talk yo.

chazzy
03-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Stop making up quotes and starting stupid threads dude, three in the past 24hrs

Dizzle-2k7
03-15-2010, 08:00 PM

Did you watch the documentary?

ShaqAttack3234
03-15-2010, 08:01 PM
I think he might not be as good as Bogut this year though.

:roll: You've gotta be kidding me. Howard scores more, blocks more shots, grabs more boards, shoots a much higher % on a better team.

And this poster has been saying ridiculous things without links to back them up so I wouldn't believe that Bird said that without a link. And Howard is a MUCH MUCH better player than Kevin Willis.

nestea()
03-15-2010, 08:02 PM
I don't see where you all are getting the idea that he has no offense. If you would actually watch the Magic then you could tell that he has a nice post game. It's only going to get better too. Quit watching SportCenter.

magnax1
03-15-2010, 08:03 PM
:roll: You've gotta be kidding me. Howard scores more, blocks more shots, grabs more boards, shoots a much higher % on a better team.

And this poster has been saying ridiculous things without links to back them up so I wouldn't believe that Bird said that without a link. And Howard is a MUCH MUCH better player than Kevin Willis.
? Hes not alot better on defense, and Bogut has better post moves. I think they put up similar stats too. Dwight is like 18-13-2.5 Bogut is like 16-10-2.5
Dwight is better, but hes not on another level.

InspiredLebowski
03-15-2010, 08:04 PM
I don't remember that quote.

RealKnowledge
Someone ban this guy. Keeps making up quotes
Turning ish into Mediatakeout

L.Kizzle
A little bit of hyperbole, if you're quoting him accurately...Howard's lack of skill may have kept him from being a featured offensive player but his d and rebounding would have gotten him a lot of pt.
No, Robert Parish had an offensive game. In the 80's it was more talented big and bigger bodies.

Kareem
Parish
Bob Lanier
Malone
Aakeem & Sampson
Ewing
Sikma
Daugherty
Laimbeer
Dan Issel
Gilmore

than you got the cats like
Eaton
James Donaldson & Tarpley
Kevin Duckworth
Kevin Willis
Thorpe
Cartwright
Tree Rollins
Hot Rod Williams
James Edwards

what!

ShaqAttack3234
? Hes not alot better on defense, and Bogut has better post moves. I think they put up similar stats too. Dwight is like 18-13-2.5 Bogut is like 16-10-2.5
Dwight is better, but hes not on another level.

Howard averages 19 per game on a league best 61% shooting. Bogut averages 16 on 52% shooting and who cares if Bogut has better moves? Dwight is still a better scorer.

OnceInADECADE
03-15-2010, 08:07 PM
what is this with all these old players hating on the new school

magnax1
03-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Howard averages 19 per game on a league best 61% shooting. Bogut averages 16 on 52% shooting and who cares if Bogut has better moves? Dwight is still a better scorer.
I agree, the post moves thing is a little overdone, but Bogut has been playing amazingly well as of late. Hes not that far off. I'm not saying Dwight is a bad post scorer like everyone else either. Hes actually pretty good in the post, but Bogut is better, and can shoot from further out.

ShaqAttack3234
03-15-2010, 08:09 PM
I agree, the post moves thing is a little overdone, but Bogut has been playing amazingly well as of late. Hes not that far off. I'm not saying Dwight is a bad post scorer like everyone else either. Hes actually pretty good in the post, but Bogut is better, and can shoot from further out.

Yeah, Bogut is more skilled, but Dwight is the better scorer, but as overall players? Dwight is still a lot better, he's a legit superstar and franchise player. Bogut isn't at that level.

icewill36
No, Robert Parish had an offensive game. In the 80's it was more talented big and bigger bodies.

Kareem
Parish
Bob Lanier
Malone
Aakeem & Sampson
Ewing
Sikma
Daugherty
Laimbeer
Dan Issel
Gilmore

than you got the cats like
Eaton
James Donaldson & Tarpley
Kevin Duckworth
Kevin Willis
Thorpe
Cartwright
Tree Rollins
Hot Rod Williams
James Edwards

what!

dwight would beast on a lot of these guys. hes too strong for them

AirGauge23
He also said you were a f#cking f#ggot.

EroticVanilla
03-15-2010, 08:10 PM
Dude stop making stupid shit up, I have the documentary download on my computer and I watched like 2 days ago and I know for a fact that Bird didn't say anything about Dwight or any new-school players.

chazzy
03-15-2010, 08:12 PM
You have no credibility, sorry. You made a thread saying you saw on NBATV that Bynum for CP3 "is in serious talks :eek: " and not one person backed you up. Then you make that thread about a JET magazine quote that no one else saw either. Boy who cried wolf

magnax1
03-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Yeah, Bogut is more skilled, but Dwight is the better scorer, but as overall players? Dwight is still a lot better, he's a legit superstar and franchise player. Bogut isn't at that level.
No but hes a definite second best center in the league right now and probably doesn't get the credit he deserves because his stats aren't that great. Brook Lopez is also pretty under rated.

godofgods
03-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Foo is making shit up. Bird never said that in the documentary, although if he did, then he is right.

pete's montreux
03-15-2010, 08:20 PM
OP should honestly be banned from making threads.

Diesel J
03-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Anyone watch the HBO documentary the other night? It was very fascinating. Larry Bird said that the 80s was the toughest era in sports history, and that Dwight Howard "wouldnt even start in the 80s"

stop lying man. he never said that

Replay32
03-15-2010, 08:35 PM
I had the pleasure of watching the documentary last night and BIRD DIDN'T SAY THAT OR ANYTHING RELATED TO DWIGHT OR THE ORLANDO MAGIC!!!!!! The OP ain't right.

Lebron23
03-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Are you on drugs?

HylianNightmare
03-15-2010, 08:37 PM
:lol of course dwight would start
On the 1989 magic team he would've beasted

G-train
03-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Thread title should be changed

Real Men Wear Green
03-15-2010, 09:07 PM
What did I say about Parish? I don't get why this reply was aimed at me.

Andrei89
03-15-2010, 09:08 PM
So did he really say it?

Lebron23
03-15-2010, 09:09 PM
So did he really say it?

No

L.Kizzle
03-15-2010, 09:10 PM
What did I say about Parish? I don't get why this reply was aimed at me.
Parish was not towards you.

DuMa
03-15-2010, 09:20 PM
im not hating on howard. he is clearly the best center in the league. but even that statement is watered down. the center competition hasnt been what it used to be. the amount of great centers hasnt been the same in this era like it used to be in the past. howard is just better by default in some ways.

oh that offensive move where howard takes 3 steps away from the basket into a hook shot. thats a clear travel. i have no idea why the refs are lettin him get away with it.

BallPhunk
03-15-2010, 09:23 PM
I don't remember this quote (or any talk of modern players).

daballa13
03-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Dwight Howard is soft man, he can't take contact. His arms look like their inflated, the illusion of his amazing strength is crap. LeBron makes him look weak. I hate guys with those inflated arms, like Magette, Igoudala, Howard. Their all the softest ones.

Rafael Delaget
03-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Dwight's a great defensive player in an era where all the rules make it easier to score and harder to play defense. Put Howard in Bird's era, and he'd hold Bird's Celtics under 50 points singlehandedly.

I mean, nowadays if you breathe on a guy it's a foul. Can you imagine if Dwight was allowed to pull the sh!t that Bill Laimbeer used to pull? :eek:

Gundress
03-15-2010, 09:57 PM
I agreed with Bird.

ProfessorMurder
03-15-2010, 09:59 PM
[QUOTE=Rafael Delaget

Nanners
03-15-2010, 10:01 PM
this OP dizzle2k7 guy is a straight up tard. i wouldnt trust anything he says.

ShaqAttack3234
03-15-2010, 10:08 PM
No but hes a definite second best center in the league right now and probably doesn't get the credit he deserves because his stats aren't that great. Brook Lopez is also pretty under rated.

Ehhh, after Howard, I'd still probably have Duncan 2nd although he's wearing down again after the all-star break. Kaman and Lopez are also in the discussion although Bogut may be more complete than either of them right now because of his passing and defense.

Derka
03-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Watched the documentary twice now and Larry said nothing of the sort.

Fatal9
03-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Dwight Howard in 80s would be....

- arguably the best rebounding center of the decade
- top 2 defensive center of the decade (Eaton being the only one decisively ahead of him imo)
- top 4 center overall in the decade (Kareem, Moses, Hakeem being other 3)

magnax1
03-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Ehhh, after Howard, I'd still probably have Duncan 2nd although he's wearing down again after the all-star break. Kaman and Lopez are also in the discussion although Bogut may be more complete than either of them right now because of his passing and defense.
Duncan isn't a center. He started center only a couple years of his career. However if you counted him as a center, hes basically tied with Dwight.

Glide2keva
03-15-2010, 11:11 PM
You keep thinking that.

Juges8932
03-15-2010, 11:21 PM
I don't see where you all are getting the idea that he has no offense. If you would actually watch the Magic then you could tell that he has a nice post game. It's only going to get better too. Quit watching SportCenter.

Lol, I like Dwight, but come on. Nice post-game is definitely stretching it. They're one of the teams I watch most frequently and he scores a good bit, sure, but it isn't because of his "nice post game" lol.

ShaqAttack3234
03-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Duncan isn't a center. He started center only a couple years of his career. However if you counted him as a center, hes basically tied with Dwight.

Duncan is certainly playing center this year.

Rameek
03-15-2010, 11:39 PM
Dwight doesnt have any skills to speak of that is of any great significance in a league with no true all star centers... D12 competition is quite light makes it easier for him to look better than what he is...

Rafael Delaget
03-15-2010, 11:48 PM

I agree. Bird could barely play defense in an era where it was easy as hell to play D (you could do anything you wanted and the refs wouldn't blow the whistle). If he was playing in this era, he'd make Steve Nash look like Bruce Bowen. It'd be an automatic two points for the other team every time down the court.

magnax1
03-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Duncan is certainly playing center this year.
Sure, but so did Karl Malone some years. It doesn't mean he was a center. Same with Amare.

theballerFKA Ace
03-15-2010, 11:53 PM
Superman wouldn't know what hit him if he time warped back to the 80s. He'd come out looking worse than Rihanna on a Chris Brown date after his first game.

DCL
03-16-2010, 01:37 AM
it's obviously hyperbole. of course he would start on some team in the 80s, but bird's point was he's downgrading dwight howard's "superman" status to some degree. in other words, he thinks he's overrated. the word of choice by bird was pretty bad though because i think many people are taking his quote literally.... like exaggerating "player A can't even hold player's B's jock strap." etc.

GatorKid117
03-16-2010, 01:50 AM
it's obviously hyperbole. of course he would start on some team in the 80s, but bird's point was he's downgrading dwight howard's "superman" status to some degree. in other words, he thinks he's overrated. the word of choice by bird was pretty bad though because i think many people are taking his quote literally.... like exaggerating "player A can't even hold player's B's jock strap." etc.

Bird never said it, the OP made it up......

DCL
03-16-2010, 01:57 AM

my bad. i obviously missed the rest of the discussion since i didn't read beyond first post.

should had been careful since it was dizzle who started the thread.

GatorKid117
03-16-2010, 02:01 AM
my bad. i obviously missed the rest of the discussion since i didn't read beyond first post.

should had been careful since it was dizzle who started the thread.

Haha, all good. He's made a bunch of *insert name here* said this about *insert name here* so ya you got to be careful. They are amusing I will give him that :D

asu77golf
03-16-2010, 02:01 AM
LOL, this is hilarious

ShaqAttack3234
03-16-2010, 02:29 AM
Sure, but so did Karl Malone some years. It doesn't mean he was a center. Same with Amare.

Except they didn't/don't play like centers and weren't considered natural centers when they were drafted like Duncan

SCdac
03-16-2010, 03:29 AM
Charles Barkley, LaMarcus Aldridge, DeJuan Blair, and Antonio McDyess all played center in college too. Doesn't necessarily mean it's their position in the NBA. Duncan is a power forward with the size of a center. He's got the versatility of a forward (growing up he always wanted to be a PG but was too big) with midrange game and passing and quickness. Even Malone in Utah had a tough time covering a young Duncan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWqwvE5KVW8 (Duncan hits 13 foot fallaway jumper to win the game against Malone's Jazz in this clip)
Nowadays, he's lost too much agility and speed to keep up with younger PF's, hence him guarding Dampier types and staying out of foul trouble. Even this season though Duncan has a higher PER at PF (37.8) than at C (28.6), and only 41% of his shot selection is coming from inside the paint. He is playing alot of center, but look at the roster and the amount of small ball spurs use.

Button
03-16-2010, 05:11 AM
eventhough the topic starter made all this shit up.

He did make a nice discussion, but i think dwight would have been a nice starter in the league but would also depend on wich team he would play for, in that time.
But nowadays, he isnt getting the ball enough.

ShaqAttack3234
03-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Charles Barkley, LaMarcus Aldridge, DeJuan Blair, and Antonio McDyess all played center in college too. Doesn't necessarily mean it's their position in the NBA. Duncan is a power forward with the size of a center. He's got the versatility of a forward (growing up he always wanted to be a PG but was too big) with midrange game and passing and quickness. Even Malone in Utah had a tough time covering a young Duncan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWqwvE5KVW8 (Duncan hits 13 foot fallaway jumper to win the game against Malone's Jazz in this clip)
Nowadays, he's lost too much agility and speed to keep up with younger PF's, hence him guarding Dampier types and staying out of foul trouble. Even this season though Duncan has a higher PER at PF (37.8) than at C (28.6), and only 41% of his shot selection is coming from inside the paint. He is playing alot of center, but look at the roster and the amount of small ball spurs use.

PER is to me, among the most useless stats out there. And Olajuwon hit 13 foot fadeaways all the time, so did Ewing and Robinson. In fact, Robinson played with his back to the basket less than Duncan.

And by the way, none of the players you mentioned were projected as being NBA centers like Duncan. Duncan was called the next great center just like Shaq, Robinson, Ewing, Olajuwon, Walton, Kareem and recently, Oden.

SCdac
03-16-2010, 04:16 PM
PER is to me, among the most useless stats out there. And Olajuwon hit 13 foot fadeaways all the time, so did Ewing and Robinson. In fact, Robinson played with his back to the basket less than Duncan.

And by the way, none of the players you mentioned were projected as being NBA centers like Duncan. Duncan was called the next great center just like Shaq, Robinson, Ewing, Olajuwon, Walton, Kareem and recently, Oden.

Ton's of 6-10/6-11 players were considered centers in college, it just doesn't change the fact that he's been a power forward for well more than half of his career in the NBA (at least 10 seasons) and all of his success (championships) came as primarily a power forward. Compare that to say Dwight Howard who was a PF for the first two seasons of his career, about 33% of his whole career, and I'd say he's just as much of a PF/C as Tim Duncan. And if you admit that a center doesn't necessarily have to play like a center to be one (Robinson), it also means a PF doesn't necessarily have to have the skill set of a Dirk Nowitzk type to be a PF. It's a position, not a restriction. When Tim was drafted back in 97, one of the questions he was asked was "you've been going out and guarding some SF's, can you do that?" Duncan said, "I hope so, I think I have alot of learning to do... hopefully I can get out there and learn along the way". It was more a question directed at his versatility than position, but clearly nobody envisioned him being strictly a center, at least the Spurs didn't, even after Robinson retired.

ShaqAttack3234
03-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Ton's of 6-10/6-11 players were considered centers in college, it just doesn't change the fact that he's been a power forward for well more than half of his career in the NBA (at least 10 seasons) and all of his success (championships) came as primarily a power forward. Compare that to say Dwight Howard who was a PF for the first two seasons of his career, about 33% of his whole career, and I'd say he's just as much of a PF/C as Tim Duncan. And if you admit that a center doesn't necessarily have to play like a center to be one (Robinson), it also means a PF doesn't necessarily have to have the skill set of a Dirk Nowitzk type to be a PF. It's a position, not a restriction. When Tim was drafted back in 97, one of the questions he was asked was "you've been going out and guarding some SF's, can you do that?" Duncan said, "I hope so, I think I have alot of learning to do... hopefully I can get out there and learn along the way". It was more a question directed at his versatility than position, but clearly nobody envisioned him being strictly a center, at least the Spurs didn't, even after Robinson retired.

Well, when he was drafted by the Spurs they knew that both Duncan and Robinson would play both roles/positions at both ends because they weren't going to trade Robinson who was their best player prior to Duncan and still a great player. If you look in a google news archive search there were a lot of questions about who would play which position with the general consensus being that they'd both play each position depending on matchups. This was the case in the 1999 finals where the D Rob and Tim were often matched up with various big men. Chris Dudley spend a good amount of time guarding Tim when he was in the game, iirc.

My point is Duncan's natural position is center. That's how he plays the game and it also fits with his size(6'11" w/o shoes, 260+ lbs). I mean if you look at power forwards they played the game a lot differently than the Duncans, Olajuwons, Robinsons, Daughertys of the NBA. If you look at the big 6'11"-7'0" low post players who protect the rim, they're basically all centers. Unlike the Barkleys, Karl Malones, Elton Brands, Chris Webbers and David Wests of the NBA. Those guys to me, are the prototypical power forward. And Garnett, despite being 7'0" tall is very perimeter-oriented, far more than Duncan on both ends.

I consider Duncan a center, you consider him a power forward, we're just going in circles. Regarding Duncan's success, well he played the best basketball of his career in the 2003 playoffs, and in those playoffs he spent slightly more time at center(basically equal, though) because Rose played more total minutes than Robinson that playoff run. By that point Robinson was primarily guarding the centers like O'Neal, although Duncan did guard O'Neal quite a bit in their 2002 playoff match up.

To me, by Robinson's last 2 seasons, Duncan was basically splitting time at each position and the tiebreaker to me is to go by his natural position.

L.Kizzle
03-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Well, when he was drafted by the Spurs they knew that both Duncan and Robinson would play both roles/positions at both ends because they weren't going to trade Robinson who was their best player prior to Duncan and still a great player. If you look in a google news archive search there were a lot of questions about who would play which position with the general consensus being that they'd both play each position depending on matchups. This was the case in the 1999 finals where the D Rob and Tim were often matched up with various big men. Chris Dudley spend a good amount of time guarding Tim when he was in the game, iirc.

My point is Duncan's natural position is center. That's how he plays the game and it also fits with his size(6'11" w/o shoes, 260+ lbs). I mean if you look at power forwards they played the game a lot differently than the Duncans, Olajuwons, Robinsons, Daughertys of the NBA. If you look at the big 6'11"-7'0" low post players who protect the rim, they're basically all centers. Unlike the Barkleys, Karl Malones, Elton Brands, Chris Webbers and David Wests of the NBA. Those guys to me, are the prototypical power forward. And Garnett, despite being 7'0" tall is very perimeter-oriented, far more than Duncan on both ends.

I consider Duncan a center, you consider him a power forward, we're just going in circles. Regarding Duncan's success, well he played the best basketball of his career in the 2003 playoffs, and in those playoffs he spent slightly more time at center(basically equal, though) because Rose played more total minutes than Robinson that playoff run. By that point Robinson was primarily guarding the centers like O'Neal, although Duncan did guard O'Neal quite a bit in their 2002 playoff match up.

To me, by Robinson's last 2 seasons, Duncan was basically splitting time at each position and the tiebreaker to me is to go by his natural position.
Otis Thorpe played like a center ...

ShaqAttack3234
03-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Otis Thorpe played like a center ...

Thorpe played like the prototypical power forward to me, and Oakley is another example of the prototypical PF.

L.Kizzle
03-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Thorpe played like the prototypical power forward to me, and Oakley is another example of the prototypical PF.
Thorpe played like the center and Olajuwon more like the PF.

ShaqAttack3234
03-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Thorpe played like the center and Olajuwon more like the PF.

I disagree, particularly on the defense end. Offensively? Eh Thorpe still played like a PF to me, plus he was no more than 6'8"-6'9'.

SCdac
03-16-2010, 09:01 PM
I'll agree to disagree, that you think Duncan's game was vastly different from a Malone, or McHale, or Brand... because it wasn't when you really watch them... Size is not the determining factor when talking positions. A 7 foot PF was an MVP not long ago, and a 6'9 center was a DPOY... you didn't comment on the fact that Dwight Howard has played more power forward in his career, than Duncan has played center in his... Power forwards and centers are not concretely different, in my opinion, but that's just it, it's a subjective thing that is somewhat open to interpretation.

ShaqAttack3234
03-16-2010, 09:18 PM
I'll agree to disagree, that you think Duncan's game was vastly different from a Malone, or McHale, or Brand... because it wasn't when you really watch them... Size is not the determining factor when talking positions. A 7 foot PF was an MVP not long ago, and a 6'9 center was a DPOY... you didn't comment on the fact that Dwight Howard has played more power forward in his career, than Duncan has played center in his... Power forwards and centers are not concretely different, in my opinion, but that's just it, it's a subjective thing that is somewhat open to interpretation.

I don't think that's an accurate assessment that Howard has played more PF than Duncan has C. It seems to me that Duncan started splitting his time at PF and C pretty much equally starting in the 2001-2002 season and in 2006-2007 started spending the majority of his time at center.(one reason why Duncan was initially listed as a center on the 2008 all-star ballot). And when I watched the twin tower Spurs it always seemed like the Spurs had 2 versatile centers capable of matching up with either position at either end.

Howard was primarily a power forward for just 2 seasons.

Bigsmoke
03-16-2010, 09:28 PM
. I think he might not be as good as Bogut this year though.

pass that weed n*gga! :pimp:

SCdac
03-16-2010, 09:29 PM
I don't think that's an accurate assessment that Howard has played more PF than Duncan has C. It seems to me that Duncan started splitting his time at PF and C pretty much equally starting in the 2001-2002 season and in 2006-2007 started spending the majority of his time at center.(one reason why Duncan was initially listed as a center on the 2008 all-star ballot). And when I watched the twin tower Spurs it always seemed like the Spurs had 2 versatile centers capable of matching up with either position at either end.

Howard was primarily a power forward for just 2 seasons.

2 seasons out of 6 is a good third of his career... why not call him a PF/C? What happened in his game, other than where he starts, that changed him from a "power foward" to a "center"?

Duncan starting playing the most center position from 2008 and beyond, when all the Spurs had was an old Kurt Thomas, an older Oberto, and Matt Bonner.

The season after David Robinson retired, Rasho was averaging almost 30 MPG next to Duncan and his 36 MPG. Malik Rose didn't even play 20 MPG in the regular season and played less than 10 MPG in the playoffs. After Rasho and Nazr Mohammed left in 2007, there's been a handful of centers Duncan has played with, particularly Fabricio Oberto who regularly guarded centers.

ConanRulesNBC
03-16-2010, 09:32 PM
I love Larry Bird and all but that's a pretty ridiculous thing to say.

ShaqAttack3234
03-16-2010, 09:32 PM
2 seasons out of 6 is a good third of his career... why not call him a PF/C? What happened in his game, other than where he starts, that changed him from a "power foward" to a "center"?

Duncan starting playing the most center position from 2008 and beyond, when all the Spurs had was an old Kurt Thomas, an older Oberto, and Matt Bonner.

The season after David Robinson retired, Rasho was averaging almost 30 MPG next to Duncan and his 36 MPG. Malik Rose didn't even play 20 MPG in the regular season and played less than 10 MPG in the playoffs. After Rasho left in 2007, there's been a handful of centers Duncan has played with, particularly Fabricio Oberto who regularly guarded centers.

Regarding Howard, he bulked up, improved his shot blocking and low post game and started matching up with centers more.

I disagree with your assessment, Duncan was more of the C than Oberto. But at this point we're going in cricles. Best to agree to disagree.

SCdac
03-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Regarding Howard, he bulked up, improved his shot blocking and low post game and started matching up with centers more.

I disagree with your assessment, Duncan was more of the C than Oberto. But at this point we're going in cricles. Best to agree to disagree.

Well, at least you acknowledge a player can play multiple positions...

A player playing C or PF now wasn't necessarily always a C or PF.

Rashard Lewis for instance was primarily a small forward in Seattle, now he's a "power forward" in Orlando, but honestly I still see him as a small forward and most do I think.

L.Kizzle
01-23-2013, 09:08 PM
:confusedshrug:

Kobr
01-23-2013, 09:15 PM
I wouldn't have agreed with him before this year, but Bird called it.

7secondsorless
01-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Larry bird is clearly wrong. Name one center in the 80s who could win the dunk contest. Pre-injury Dwight might have been able to jump over Larry to dunk the ball.

L.Kizzle
01-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Larry bird is clearly wrong. Name one center in the 80s who could win the dunk contest. Pre-injury Dwight might have been able to jump over Larry to dunk the ball.
The first NBA dunk champ, Larry Nance.

Money 23
01-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Larry Bird always speaks TRUTH.

If Dwight came to him in a sincere team meeting, and he tried this passive aggressive bitch made stuff, Bird would straight grab him by the throat the way he did Dr. J's punk ass.

Nick Young
01-23-2013, 09:29 PM

So true.

And in the 90s he would have been a bottom Tier starting center.

Greg Ostertag level.

Ostertag could actually guard prime Shaq. Imagine Dwight trying to do that, he'd start crying:roll: :roll: :roll:

Imagine Dwight trying to stop McHale or Hakeem or Kareem:roll:

JellyBean
01-23-2013, 09:31 PM
Dwight just reminds me of Kevin Willis so much. Could he start on some of those 80s squads? Heck yeah. I mean the Bulls had Dave Corzine for crying out loud. I think Dwight got him by a mile. The Mavs in the early 80s had Scott Lloyd and Pat Cummings. Dwight got them. Dwight would have started. Now would he have been an all-star? Probably not. But he would have started on several teams in the 80s.

L.Kizzle
01-23-2013, 09:35 PM
Dwight just reminds me of Kevin Willis so much. Could he start on some of those 80s squads? Heck yeah. I mean the Bulls had Dave Corzine for crying out loud. I think Dwight got him by a mile. The Mavs in the early 80s had Scott Lloyd and Pat Cummings. Dwight got them. Dwight would have started. Now would he have been an all-star? Probably not. But he would have started on several teams in the 80s.
He wouldn't start over Jerhi Curl wearing Michael Cage.

DatAsh
01-23-2013, 09:38 PM

Agreed.

Larry's thoughts might not be so far from the truth though, depending on which team Howard is playing for. Howard would be starting on 90+% of the teams though.

Calabis
01-23-2013, 09:44 PM

:roll:

Retard of the day^^^^^^

L.Kizzle
01-23-2013, 09:44 PM
Agreed.

Larry's thoughts might not be so far from the truth though, depending on which team Howard is playing for. Howard would be starting on 90+% of the teams though.
Kareem
Moses
Parish
Gilmore
Bob Lanier
Hakeem
Pat Ewing
Lambier
Sikma
Cartwright
Duckworth
Brad D
James Donaldson
Tree Rollins

Only 23 teams back then

Clifton
01-23-2013, 09:52 PM
It is seriously pathetic that our best PF is Blake Griffin and our best C is Dwight Howard. (Discounting old TD, who I would put ahead of both, but most don't think of him as a top player anymore.)

It's possible that both players wouldn't start for half the teams in the league in the 80s/90s.

Rojogaqu11
01-23-2013, 09:58 PM
This kid Clark got confidence.

jstern
01-23-2013, 10:02 PM
So far the people who commented on this thread from 2010 don't seem to know that the OP more than likely made that Larry Bird quote up.

7secondsorless
01-23-2013, 10:06 PM
The first NBA dunk champ, Larry Nance.

Who the f?<# is Larry nance?

La Frescobaldi
01-23-2013, 10:12 PM
Lol. Thats just stupid. I mean, if he was on the Lakers, or Sixers, or Knicks he wouldn't, but hes better then a guy like Parish. I think he might not be as good as Bogut this year though.
lololoolololololololololololololololoololooloolool ololololololololololoo
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

lol

FREAKING HILARIOUS!!

SHAQisGOAT
01-23-2013, 10:16 PM
People still thinking Bird said that :roll:

Dwight could start for some teams though, but he wouldn't be all star starter for most of the decade (if he ever did at all)

Larry Nance won it, and he could play forward and center

Also off the top of my head

Ralph Sampson 7'3'' 36'' vert http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0YUN4DBIgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz8FZ-AYWY0

Darryl Dawkins 6'11'' 260 lbs 34'' vert http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxg7cLp-JIM

Plus the game is all about dunking though, Javale is the best C in the league and Gerald Green the best forward lmao

Go to bed kid

ThaRegul8r
01-23-2013, 10:16 PM

I don't remember that quote.

Someone ban this guy. Keeps making up quotes
Turning ish into Mediatakeout

Dude stop making stupid shit up, I have the documentary download on my computer and I watched like 2 days ago and I know for a fact that Bird didn't say anything about Dwight or any new-school players.

Foo is making shit up. Bird never said that in the documentary

stop lying man. he never said that

I had the pleasure of watching the documentary last night and BIRD DIDN'T SAY THAT OR ANYTHING RELATED TO DWIGHT OR THE ORLANDO MAGIC!!!!!! The OP ain't right.

I don't remember this quote (or any talk of modern players).

Watched the documentary twice now and Larry said nothing of the sort.

Interesting in that I said this just five days ago:

Ah, another ISH no-source report.

Considering the fact that people have made up complete fabrications in the past while pushing them as "news" (oftentimes with it never even occurring to anyone other than myself to question its authenticity), I trust you will be the exception and be able to provide a source that proves the veracity of this claim?

As I said, people have made up stuff before, which is why I'm immediately suspicious whenever I don't see a link included.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was referring to. Which is why I shake my head at how quick people are to swallow everything "someone says" on this board considering the history of people lying. I trust nothing some random poster claims that isn't sourced. More people need to employ some skepticism instead of being so gullible and believing everything someone says.

SHAQisGOAT
01-23-2013, 10:23 PM
Who the f?<# is Larry nance?

Says no center in the 80s could be close to winning the dunk contest.. Doesn't know who Larry Nance is.

Fcking ignorant kids these days.

Would love to see Nance dunk it in the face of Dwight, or whoever your favorite center is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQP1zyift9w

TheBigVeto
01-23-2013, 11:32 PM

What documentary was that?

L.Kizzle
01-23-2013, 11:34 PM
What documentary was that?
Real Sex.

Round Mound
01-23-2013, 11:46 PM
Says no center in the 80s could be close to winning the dunk contest.. Doesn't know who Larry Nance is.

Would love to see Nance dunk it in the face of Dwight, or whoever your favorite center is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQP1zyift9w

:applause:

Euroleague
01-24-2013, 02:05 AM
Howard has always been incredibly overrated. There are much better centers than him in Euroleague.

Mr. Jabbar
01-24-2013, 02:09 AM
funny thing is, Dwight shouldn't be starting in this decade either...

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-24-2013, 02:15 AM
dwight's a b!tch...his attitude wont fly in the 80's

Jasper
01-24-2013, 02:40 AM
obviously you didn't watch the Chief

Parrish was the stately team player , Howard only wishs he could emulate

Best memory Howard watching the final celebration while his team lost , saying he wanted to drive home the feeling of what a finals lose was , and what a victory would feel like.

Parrish only celebrated victories(.)

Myth
01-24-2013, 02:52 AM

And also for the youngins, these are the guys that Nance beat:

Dr. J
Dominque Wilkins
Darrell Griffith
Edgar Jones
Ralph Sampson
Clyde Drexler
Orlando Woolridge
Michael Cooper
Edgar Jones

So not only did he win, but he beat some of the greatest dunkers of all time, and had 8 total competitors rather than just 3.

Myth
01-24-2013, 02:53 AM
Hopefully Dwight's suckiness brings a greater appreciation for the dominance of past decades. So many youngins think that newer is better, and that is obviously not the case regarding centers.

01-24-2013, 09:38 AM
Dwight Howard is athletic, can play D, block shots and rebound.

I can think of Mark Eaton at 7 foot 3 or 4 who did the same things Dwight does today and Eaton started for the Jazz.

If Mark Eaton can start, I am pretty sure Dwight can too.