PDA

View Full Version : Up close with Wilt (talks about sex life, feud with Kareem, Shaq etc)

Fatal9
03-23-2010, 10:22 PM
part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTD8S0n5DGc
part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW17rCSeWLo

very rare interviews and the most in depth I've ever seen him talk on video about some of those topics.

starts talking about the 20000 claim near the end of the first video. in part 2, he is asked about Shaq (back when Shaq was a rookie) and shows a lot of respect to him saying "he's already doing things I've never done", and that Shaq has potential to be better than him...though he does seem to think he could play Shaq's style just as effectively. then the interview moves to the feud with Kareem where he hears Kareem's open letter read to him for the first time, and you can see he is pretty hurt by what Kareem wrote.

part 3 hasn't been put up yet but I think he talks about Russell.

Abraham Lincoln
03-23-2010, 10:37 PM
Indeed to add to what was said it appeared to me as well that Jabbar had a big mobility advantage in their H2H match ups over an aged Chamberlain with a reconstructed knee. As for Shaq, one can't help but wonder what Wilt Chamberlain would have said regarding his '00 season.

catch24
03-23-2010, 11:34 PM
Didn't know Kareem said all those hurtful things about Wilt, yikes. I don't consider WC a quitter, he might of statpadded, but the man still wanted to win. He's a top 3 player of all time, concrete, no doubt about it.

Disaprine
03-23-2010, 11:55 PM
thanks for the vids :cheers:

G.O.A.T
03-23-2010, 11:58 PM
The Irony about Kareem making those comments is that's many of Kareem's flaws were much more damaging to him and his teams than Wilt's. Kareem never had the intelligence to play the game at the level his skills and physical gifts suggested he should.

D-Rose
03-24-2010, 12:07 AM
Awesome footage. Thanks for sharing Fatal :cheers:

magnax1
03-24-2010, 12:12 AM
I kinda laughed when he said he could remember 15 thousand names. Anyone think that is remotely possible?

jaydacris
03-24-2010, 12:31 AM
he talks well, good interview guy

Juges8932
03-24-2010, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the post. I wish the guy had part 3/3 up. I found it really interesting as I had never actually heard his voice before and his opinions other than reading articles.

Juges8932
03-24-2010, 12:35 AM
I kinda laughed when he said he could remember 15 thousand names. Anyone think that is remotely possible?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was like first or last name or a nickname or something if he saw a picture. But no way in Hell could he just unwind 15000 names off the top of his head, lol.

Fatal9
03-24-2010, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the post. I wish the guy had part 3/3 up. I found it really interesting as I had never actually heard his voice before and his opinions other than reading articles.
uploaded today so I think it will be up soon. I just want to hear the part where he says "Russell won 11 championships, but today I'm not sure that he is a very happy man" :eek:

magnax1
03-24-2010, 12:39 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if it was like first or last name or a nickname or something if he saw a picture. But no way in Hell could he just unwind 15000 names off the top of his head, lol.
No way he could. Just think of how many name you'll remember in your life, probably not close to 15 thousand. Not that its even realistically possible he could've had sex with 15 thousand people.
Wilt was a huge Bullshitter. Very interesting to listen to though.

InspiredLebowski
03-24-2010, 12:40 AM
wiltatkansas is a great youtuber, everyone should subscribe

L.Kizzle
03-24-2010, 12:45 AM
He says if he see them by name on a sheet of paper ... which is believable. You remember something if you see it.

OhNoTimNoSho
03-24-2010, 01:39 AM
You can tell Wilt is smart by how articulate he is. Some great stuff in this interview, I wish players today acted a little more like wilt.

Take Your Lumps
03-24-2010, 01:55 AM
Roy Firestone and Up Close...........goddamn i feel old.

Juges8932
03-24-2010, 02:01 AM
No way he could. Just think of how many name you'll remember in your life, probably not close to 15 thousand. Not that its even realistically possible he could've had sex with 15 thousand people.
Wilt was a huge Bullshitter. Very interesting to listen to though.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's probable, just that I wouldn't rule it out, lol. Your mind remembers everything, so who knows if a picture or something else could trigger that even from the deepest parts of his mind. I don't think he ****ed the 20k women he claimed either. He died at 63, but claimed he did in what, like 87? So that'd be 51 years old. Started at 15. So at that point 36 years of sex. 20,000/((36)(365))= 1.52 women/day.

Yeah, he's a good speaker. Makes it interesting to listen to.

Scoooter
03-24-2010, 02:03 AM
Kareem was such a douche.

ronnymac
03-24-2010, 02:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Qw1-ssViw&feature=related

Lsten to kiki explain wilts revenge on some poor saps

ShaqAttack3234
03-24-2010, 02:21 AM
Yeah, I'm not saying it's probable, just that I wouldn't rule it out, lol. Your mind remembers everything, so who knows if a picture or something else could trigger that even from the deepest parts of his mind. I don't think he ****ed the 20k women he claimed either. He died at 63, but claimed he did in what, like 87? So that'd be 51 years old. Started at 15. So at that point 36 years of sex. 20,000/((36)(365))= 1.52 women/day.

Yeah, he's a good speaker. Makes it interesting to listen to.

Well, Robert Cherry's biography about Wilt, he quotes friends and highschool classmates as saying that girls didn't like Wilt in highschool, they thought of him as some kind of freak and one classmate/friend said that Wilt probably graduated highschool as a virgin so even if he was having sex by 15, he certainly wasn't having sex at anywhere near that pace that early.

jlauber
03-24-2010, 02:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Qw1-ssViw&feature=related

Lsten to kiki explain wilts revenge on some poor saps

THAT was what I have been looking for. A 50 YEAR-OLD Wilt dunking on a helpless Mark Eaton!!!

And I have posted this before...as witnessed by Larry Brown...

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Wilt_Chamberlain

"Of all his memories of Wilt Chamberlain, the one that stood out for Larry Brown happened long after Chamberlain's professional career had ended. On a summer day in the early 1980s, when Brown was coaching at UCLA, Chamberlain showed up at Pauley Pavilion to take part in one of the high-octane pickup games that the arena constantly attracted. "Magic Johnson used to run the games," Brown recalled Tuesday after hearing that Chamberlain, his friend, had died at 63, "and he called a couple of chintzy fouls and a goaltending on Wilt. "So Wilt said: 'There will be no more layups in this gym,' and he blocked every shot after that. That's the truth, I saw it. He didn't let one [of Johnson's] shots get to the rim." Chamberlain would have been in his mid-40s at the time, and he remained in top physical shape until recently[1]"

Number2
03-24-2010, 02:52 AM
Holy shit, that WiltKansas guy is amazing. I love YouTube. Chamberlain was a ****ing mutant.

jlauber
03-24-2010, 03:09 AM
Well, Robert Cherry's biography about Wilt, he quotes friends and highschool classmates as saying that girls didn't like Wilt in highschool, they thought of him as some kind of freak and one classmate/friend said that Wilt probably graduated highschool as a virgin so even if he was having sex by 15, he certainly wasn't having sex at anywhere near that pace that early.

Wilt regretted that comment until his death. AND, as Cherry wrote in his book, that number was NOT Wilt's, but a friend of his. His friend ran a hotel, and during a 10 day stay by Wilt at that hotel, his friend counted 23 different women going to Wilt's room (and he admitted that there may have been more.) Wilt was nearly 50 at the time, so his friend estimated that, ...

2 women a day, times 365 days a year, times 30 years (18-48)...

2x365x30= approx. 20,000 women.

Incidently, Cherry interviewed HUNDREDS of women after Wilt died. He did not find ONE that had anything bad to say about Wilt (and clearly, if they had wanted to, Wilt was already dead...so they had nothing to fear from him.) There is no known paternity case filed against Wilt. And Wilt, himself, said he never knowingly went to bed with a married woman.

No sexual assault. No women beatings. No paternity suits. No public knowledge of an affair with a married woman. How many other great athletes of our generation can make those claims?

jlauber
03-24-2010, 03:13 AM
Holy shit, that WiltKansas guy is amazing. I love YouTube. Chamberlain was a ****ing mutant.

I have posted these videos several times before...but just in case some here have not viewed them...

these are, IMHO, the two best of Wilt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6k539HSbXM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=849_WdqJ8o8&NR=1

They portray something more than the conventional theory, that Wilt was a stumbling frankenstein dunking on helpless 6-6 centers.

Abraham Lincoln
03-24-2010, 03:41 AM
Not to neglect the great teams as well that Chamberlain played on and how well that marvelous physical talent of his was blended together with what most call the greatest front line in the history of the league. NBA TV did a fine job in a very brief look back at the # 1 team in history (IMO).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x48zv5_nba-vault-the-1967-sixers-rick-kaml_sport

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpiRo8-aKJc

purple32gold
03-24-2010, 03:49 AM
kareem spitting fire

warriorfan
03-24-2010, 05:09 AM
cool videos, gives you an insight into his personality

did anyone else notice how choked up he was after firestone read the passage from Kareem's book? he seriously was about to cry. i think he wanted to be liked by everyone and always felt he didn't live up to everyones lofty expectations

Kobe Jnr
03-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Part 3 is up..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSH0LuWTt2o&feature=sub

1987_Lakers
03-24-2010, 07:27 PM
Damn, Wilt rips Russell and Kareem in part 3.

OhNoTimNoSho
03-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Wilt makes a great point, nowadays the players are more athletic but just don't have the mental aspect of the game down.

Horatio33
03-25-2010, 03:30 PM
You can tell Wilt is smart by how articulate he is. Some great stuff in this interview, I wish players today acted a little more like wilt.

says the guy with an Allen Iverson mug shot as his avatar.

Bodhi
03-25-2010, 05:07 PM

It's extremely possibly, but unlikely he'd actually go through the trouble of doing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_loci

he 2006 World Memory Champion, Clemens Mayer from Germany, used a 300-point-long journey through his house for his world record in "number half marathon", memorising 1040 random digits in a half hour. One individual has used the method of loci to memorise pi to 65,536 digits.[14]

jlauber
03-26-2010, 04:01 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Lucas

"Lucas also became a media darling in New York, where he found a large market for his magic tricks, memory games, and other products. He amazed many by memorizing portions of the Manhattan Phone Book or memorizing the names of an entire studio audience in sequence during television appearances. He also had a knack for taking words apart and then respelling them alphabetically in rapidfire order ( his name would spell E-J-R-R-Y A-C-L-S-U ). Lucas showed many how mental games and memory exercises could build brain power and intelligence for people at any age."

Incidently, did anyone else notice Wilt in that tank top during one of his conversations with Firestone? It was in 1989, and I HONESTLY believe he could still have played in the NBA at that time...at age 53!

32jazz
03-26-2010, 10:22 AM
cool videos, gives you an insight into his personality

did anyone else notice how choked up he was after firestone read the passage from Kareem's book? he seriously was about to cry. i think he wanted to be liked by everyone and always felt he didn't live up to everyones lofty expectations

I really didn't see much emotion after hearing the passage ,but I absolutely do AGREE with you that Wilt felt like he couldn't/didn't live up to everyone's unprecedented expectations coming out of HS. In the following video he gets choked up after never returning to Kansas(formally) for 41 years after losing the 57 NCAA championship in triple OT by one point(although he was tournament MOP) & blaming himself ,to the KU fans protests :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbxrzeUIzpI

If Kareem wanted to critique Wilt's game(since Wilt was critical of his) that was fine ,but he went off into personal stuff & came off looking small & Wilt took the high road.

That small passage was nothing as Kareem ripped Wilt for everything from Wilt's Republican leanings & support for Nixon in the highly charged racial climate of 60's, Kareem's perception that Wilt had also disrespected Black Women since he preferred dating outside his race,etc...... in addition to calling Wilt a 'loser'/'quitter'/'choker'.

Wilt was fairly accurate in his critique of Kareem's game especially of the mid/late 80's when he critique his rebounding(which was awful by then) & defense. Wilt, & others, had Basically said Kareem should have retired after 85 or 86(which Kareem would have done if not for serious financial difficulties at the time) & that critique from Wilt led to the classless personal attack Kareem unleashed on Wilt in his book. The Chapter was "An Open Letter to Wilt Chumperlame" or something like that.

Because of the expectations of Wilt as a High Schooler I now root for Lebron James because of the lofty expectations placed upon him(he has lived up to them so far ,but if he doesn't 'win enough' he will be torched).

jlauber
03-26-2010, 10:35 AM
I really didn't see much emotion after hearing the passage ,but I absolutely do AGREE with you that Wilt felt like he couldn't/didn't live up to everyone's unprecedented expectations coming out of HS. In the following video he gets choked up after never returning to Kansas(formally) for 41 years after losing the 57 NCAA championship in triple OT by one point(although he was tournament MOP) & blaming himself ,to the KU fans protests :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbxrzeUIzpI

If Kareem wanted to critique Wilt's game(since Wilt was critical of his) that was fine ,but he went off into personal stuff & came off looking small & Wilt took the high road.

That small passage was nothing as Kareem ripped Wilt for everything from Wilt's Republican leanings & support for Nixon in the highly charged racial climate of 60's, Kareem's perception that Wilt had also disrespected Black Women since he preferred dating outside his race,etc...... in addition to calling Wilt a 'loser'/'quitter'/'choker'.

Wilt was fairly accurate in his critique of Kareem's game especially of the mid/late 80's when he critique his rebounding(which was awful by then) & defense. Wilt, & others, had Basically said Kareem should have retired after 85 or 86(which Kareem would have done if not for serious financial difficulties at the time) & that critique from Wilt led to the classless personal attack Kareem unleashed on Wilt in his book. The Chapter was "An Open Letter to Wilt Chumperlame" or something like that.

Because of the expectations of Wilt as a High Schooler I now root for Lebron James because of the lofty expectations placed upon him(he has lived up to them so far ,but if he doesn't 'win enough' he will be torched).

Wilt's jersey retirement ceremony at Kansas brought tears to my eyes. While few knew it at the time, he was dying. On top of that, he was afraid of the reception he would receive when he went to that ceremony, because he had left Kansas on some bad terms, some 40 years before. As you can see, though, it was a thunderous ovation for him. As a sidenote to that story, there was a limo waiting for him after the game...and instead, he decided to stay and sign autographs. They set up a table for him, and he signed EVERY request...some two hours worth.

AND, Wilt left KU $650,000 after he passed away. In fact, Wilt was generous his entire life. I have always found it interesting that Russell seemed to be a fan favorite, while Wilt was labeled the villain...and yet, those in the media that knew both of them, would say that Wilt treated them as human beings...something that Russell did not.

Incidently, speaking of villains...

Wilt WAS the villain of the NBA for most of his career. BUT, after he suffered that devastating knee injury in 1969, and came back much earlier than expected, he became more of a fan favorite (although the "heroic" Reed game seven was a joke IMHO....) Wilt faced Kareem in the 70-71 WCF's, and despite having lost BOTH Baylor and West before that series, and Keith Erickson during it...he manages to battle Kareem to a draw, and even led LA to a stunning upset in game four. What was really fascinating, though, was that in game five of that series, the Bucks destroyed the Lakers (although once again, Wilt played valiantly)...and as Wilt came off the floor late in the game, he received a standing ovation...and the game was played in Milwaukee!

jstern
03-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Very entertaining. Thank god for youtube. Way before my time, but coming to this site that era doesn't seem like another dimension.

jlauber
03-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Very entertaining. Thank god for youtube. Way before my time, but coming to this site that era doesn't seem like another dimension.

I only wish it would be possible to transport a 1967 Wilt to this era. IMHO, he was at his peak...and there has never been anyone better. Imagine a combination of Garnett, Shaq, and Duncan...with better rebounding skills than all three of them. When one considers that an aged Kareem was able to outplay a youthful Hakeem, and that an aged and less mobile Wilt (and Thurmond) were able to battle a youthful Kareem to draws in the early 70's...and that Wilt thoroughly outplayed Thurmond and Russell in that '67 season, and in his prime...

well, needless to say...he would be plastered all over ESPN every night.

sbw19
03-26-2010, 03:30 PM
The way Wilt played, he looked like a more athletic, offensive-minded Tim Duncan.

jlauber
03-26-2010, 03:32 PM
The way Wilt played, he looked like a more athletic, attack-minded Tim Duncan.

I have posted this MANY times now...but Wilt's fall away bank shot was every bit as good as Duncan's bank shot. Not only that, but Wilt had a bigger variety of shots, was bigger, taller, stronger, faster, could jump higher...not even close...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6k539HSbXM

ThaRegul8r
03-26-2010, 03:39 PM

I agree. It's perfectly fine to talk about what he did on the court. But personal attacks are completely uncalled for.

purple32gold
03-26-2010, 03:42 PM
he has an ridiculously large ego. this guy ****ing loved himself,.

jlauber
03-26-2010, 03:47 PM
he has an ridiculously large ego. this guy ****ing loved himself,.

I hate to bring Jordan into topic...but has there been a more classless HOF speech?

Contrast that with Wilt's Kansas jersey retirement speech earlier in this topic.

purple32gold
03-26-2010, 04:06 PM
I hate to bring Jordan into topic...but has there been a more classless HOF speech?

Contrast that with Wilt's Kansas jersey retirement speech earlier in this topic.
understandable. he seems offended at the idea that anyone could be better at the game then him. he shows respect to players, but there is always this feeling of superiority with him. he's very curt and open which is good he doesn't BS anyone...but still...enormous ego. MJ's ego is on another level. not as insightful as wilt...more spiteful than anything for people that told him he couldn't do it.

CelticsDraftee
03-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Definitely good discussion there. Hate that mustache but I enjoy listening to what he has to say.

julizaver
03-28-2010, 03:00 PM
I only wish it would be possible to transport a 1967 Wilt to this era. IMHO, he was at his peak...and there has never been anyone better. Imagine a combination of Garnett, Shaq, and Duncan...with better rebounding skills than all three of them. When one considers that an aged Kareem was able to outplay a youthful Hakeem, and that an aged and less mobile Wilt (and Thurmond) were able to battle a youthful Kareem to draws in the early 70's...and that Wilt thoroughly outplayed Thurmond and Russell in that '67 season, and in his prime...

well, needless to say...he would be plastered all over ESPN every night.

I finally received an activation, so I can add some data :). Actually Wilt Chamberlain outplayed Russell not only in the playoffs, but in nine regular season meetings he averaged 20.3 ppg 26.7 rpg 6.6 apg on 54.9 shooting against 12.2 ppg 21.1 rpg 3.9 apg of Russell (don't have the FG %), but Boston wins 5:4. In playoffs both increased their numbers but Wilt was awesome.

As you mentioned game 5 of 1971 WCF in Milwaukee - Wilt outplayed Kareem and for a stretch of 14 minutes and a half held Kareem whithout a field goal - blocking five of his attempts - Wilt finished the game with 23 points (10 from 21), 12 rebounds, 6 blocks (5 against Kareem) with 4 assists. Kareem has 20 points (on 7 from 23 shooting), 15 rebounds, 5 assists. That's why Wilt received ovation from Milwaukee fans when goes to the bench two minutes before game's end.

For me Kareem and Wilt are the best centers in the history of basketball and they can dominate in any age of basketball.

jlauber
03-28-2010, 03:47 PM
I finally received an activation, so I can add some data :). Actually Wilt Chamberlain outplayed Russell not only in the playoffs, but in nine regular season meetings he averaged 20.3 ppg 26.7 rpg 6.6 apg on 54.9 shooting against 12.2 ppg 21.1 rpg 3.9 apg of Russell (don't have the FG %), but Boston wins 5:4. In playoffs both increased their numbers but Wilt was awesome.

As you mentioned game 5 of 1971 WCF in Milwaukee - Wilt outplayed Kareem and for a stretch of 14 minutes and a half held Kareem whithout a field goal - blocking five of his attempts - Wilt finished the game with 23 points (10 from 21), 12 rebounds, 6 blocks (5 against Kareem) with 4 assists. Kareem has 20 points (on 7 from 23 shooting), 15 rebounds, 5 assists. That's why Wilt received ovation from Milwaukee fans when goes to the bench two minutes before game's end.

For me Kareem and Wilt are the best centers in the history of basketball and they can dominate in any age of basketball.

Great info. The book, "Season of the Sixers" has Wilt's numbers vs every team in the regular season, and of course his and Russell/Thurmond's playoff numbers, as well. And Wilt's offensive numbers were reduced by the fact that his team did not need him to score. One only need look to game five of the ECF's just the year before, when he hung a 46-34 game on Russell I (albeit, in a losing effort.)

Those games against Kareem were truly remarkable from the standpoint that Wilt was just one year removed from major knee surgery, and had arthritis in his other knee. Not to mention the fact that he was also 11 years older, and past his prime. Unbelieveably, though, Wilt was actually in better shape in his final season, 1972-73. According to Wilt, himself, his arthritis was no longer a factor, and his daily workouts had made him stronger, quicker, and he was able to jump higher, than just a couple of years before.

Many fans mistakingly believe that Wilt's peak was in his 61-62 season. He was much bigger, stronger, and more skilled by the mid-60's. For those that believe that Wilt dominated because of the smaller lane...the NBA widened it just before the 65-66 season (it was actually the second time they widened BTW...as they did just before Wilt came into ther NBA.) How much of an effect did it have? Wilt's scoring dropped from 34.7 ppg on .510 shooting, to 33.5 ppg on .540 shooting (which was a new record BTW...obviously one that he would shatter the very next year.) And, as I have mentioned before, Wilt had five 60+ point games after the lane was widened. The only real reason that Wilt's offense declined after the 65-66 season was either by design, or by coaching decisions. In any case, Wilt put up the high game EVERY season in the decade of the 60's. IMHO, his last 60+ point game, in 1969, may have been his finest, as he shot 29-35 from the floor in that game. So much for the wider lane theory.

There is ample footage of Chamberlain's offensive skills on YouTube. He had 15+ foot range with bank shots, and jump shots. He had a sweeping hook shot. And he had a deadly spinning finger roll which he could execute from either side of the lane. Most everyone who played against, or with, Wilt, would testify to his enormous strength and athleticism. He was a one-of-a-kind freak of nature, and IMHO, only Shaq has come close to his overall dominance...and he still falls short.

One more time...transport Wilt, from 1967, to 2010, and ask him to CARRY a team, and he would thoroughly DOMINATE the league. He would lead the league in scoring, in FG%, in rebounding, and in blocked shots. The only question would be what his numbers would look like. We'll never know, of course, but as Abe pointed out...it doesn't matter. He would simply be the best player in the league.

julizaver
03-29-2010, 02:25 AM
Great info. The book, "Season of the Sixers" has Wilt's numbers vs every team in the regular season, and of course his and Russell/Thurmond's playoff numbers, as well. And Wilt's offensive numbers were reduced by the fact that his team did not need him to score. One only need look to game five of the ECF's just the year before, when he hung a 46-34 game on Russell I (albeit, in a losing effort.)

Those games against Kareem were truly remarkable from the standpoint that Wilt was just one year removed from major knee surgery, and had arthritis in his other knee. Not to mention the fact that he was also 11 years older, and past his prime. Unbelieveably, though, Wilt was actually in better shape in his final season, 1972-73. According to Wilt, himself, his arthritis was no longer a factor, and his daily workouts had made him stronger, quicker, and he was able to jump higher, than just a couple of years before.

Many fans mistakingly believe that Wilt's peak was in his 61-62 season. He was much bigger, stronger, and more skilled by the mid-60's. For those that believe that Wilt dominated because of the smaller lane...the NBA widened it just before the 65-66 season (it was actually the second time they widened BTW...as they did just before Wilt came into ther NBA.) How much of an effect did it have? Wilt's scoring dropped from 34.7 ppg on .510 shooting, to 33.5 ppg on .540 shooting (which was a new record BTW...obviously one that he would shatter the very next year.) And, as I have mentioned before, Wilt had five 60+ point games after the lane was widened. The only real reason that Wilt's offense declined after the 65-66 season was either by design, or by coaching decisions. In any case, Wilt put up the high game EVERY season in the decade of the 60's. IMHO, his last 60+ point game, in 1969, may have been his finest, as he shot 29-35 from the floor in that game. So much for the wider lane theory.

There is ample footage of Chamberlain's offensive skills on YouTube. He had 15+ foot range with bank shots, and jump shots. He had a sweeping hook shot. And he had a deadly spinning finger roll which he could execute from either side of the lane. Most everyone who played against, or with, Wilt, would testify to his enormous strength and athleticism. He was a one-of-a-kind freak of nature, and IMHO, only Shaq has come close to his overall dominance...and he still falls short.

One more time...transport Wilt, from 1967, to 2010, and ask him to CARRY a team, and he would thoroughly DOMINATE the league. He would lead the league in scoring, in FG%, in rebounding, and in blocked shots. The only question would be what his numbers would look like. We'll never know, of course, but as Abe pointed out...it doesn't matter. He would simply be the best player in the league.

I agree with you. I have watched all this youtube stuff (the WiltatKansas videos). And I also consider his 1966-67 season as his peak, but his physical athletic peak shall be when in college in term of high jumping and speed (I have a lot of photos)- in his later years he became more stronger and gain more muscles. I also have the blocking stats (collected by me by searching Google news archive) from his college years and several NBA series.

jlauber
03-29-2010, 02:30 AM
I agree with you. I have watched all this youtube stuff (the WiltatKansas videos). And I also consider his 1966-67 season as his peak, but his physical athletic peak shall be when in college in term of high jumping and speed (I have a lot of photos)- in his later years he became more stronger and gain more muscles. I also have the blocking stats (collected by me by searching Google news archive) from his college years and several NBA series.

Please post them. Harvey Pollack, who recorded many of Wilt's games, is on record as saying that Chamberlain probably averaged over 10 blocks a game in his CAREER. He even had him with 25 in one game.

I apologize for reposting this video so frequently, but for the benefit of those that have not seen it. Incidently, much of it is later in Wilt's career...one can only wonder how staggering he must have been in the early to mid-60's...

julizaver
03-29-2010, 03:03 AM
Please post them. Harvey Pollack, who recorded many of Wilt's games, is on record as saying that Chamberlain probably averaged over 10 blocks a game in his CAREER. He even had him with 25 in one game.

I apologize for reposting this video so frequently, but for the benefit of those that have not seen it. Incidently, much of it is later in Wilt's career...one can only wonder how staggering he must have been in the early to mid-60's...

I will post it in one hour - just need to do some bussiness work. However I think that in some seasons. (66'67 maybe Wilt averaged closed to 10 blocks).

julizaver
03-29-2010, 04:00 AM
Against Russell in 1967 ECF Wilt has: 12, 5, 5, 4 (data taken by eye from youtube video containing second half only of the game which Boston won) and 7 blocks in 5 games.
So Wilt has 21,6 ppg, 32 rpg, 10 apg and at least 6,6 blocks per game in 5 games against Boston (shooting 56 % from the field).

In the finals against SF Wariors Wilt has 46 blocks in 5 of the 6 games - I was not able to find the data for Game 5 which Sixers lost. So his stat line is 17,7 ppg, 28,5 rpg, 6,8 apg with at least 7,7 blocks per game and shooting 56 % FG (since i do not have the data for game 5 I take the worse case with 0 and devided 46 blocks to 6).

ILLsmak
03-29-2010, 05:34 AM
I've always liked Wilt and for awhile I was sure he was the GOAT. I like listening to him talk, and as I said in another thread I prefer his egotism to Kareem's pretentiousness. Even though Kareem has all of the honors, championships, and stats... I still think Wilt is better. Now, would I argue that with someone? No... just like arguing with someone that MJ isn't the GOAT. Can't win. Kareem has the GOAT-est resume, simply.

But I kind of relate to Wilt in terms of personality. I know how it feels, and that's why I like him. People came up with an idea that if you are great at something you're supposed to act like you're not... or when you tell someone something that is true, it's considered bragging. Sure, Wilt has a huge ego, but you can tell that it isn't threatened by his peers. The media, well that's a different story.

Also, I understand why Wilt likes to hang out with women. I detest the alpha male thing and it seems men are always in competition with each other, and because of that it's hard to really be friends.

Which reminds me of something else... I take Bill Russell's opinions on Wilt very seriously because he faced him for a long time. But Kareem is kind of a dick to say the things he said about him. I mean, you can just tell through the words that he needs to come up with something in his mind that makes him greater than Wilt. And Wilt is right... he never got the chance to play with someone like Magic. I imagine older Oscar was doing work when they won in Mil, too.

Thanks for the video, though.

-Smak

alexandreben
03-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Against Russell in 1967 ECF Wilt has: 12, 5, 5, 4 (data taken by eye from youtube video containing second half only of the game which Boston won) and 7 blocks in 5 games.
So Wilt has 21,6 ppg, 32 rpg, 10 apg and at least 6,6 blocks per game in 5 games against Boston (shooting 56 % from the field).

In the finals against SF Wariors Wilt has 46 blocks in 5 of the 6 games - I was not able to find the data for Game 5 which Sixers lost. So his stat line is 17,7 ppg, 28,5 rpg, 6,8 apg with at least 7,7 blocks per game and shooting 56 % FG (since i do not have the data for game 5 I take the worse case with 0 and devided 46 blocks to 6).

Thank you very much for the effort! those stats are amazing...

I checked the records that Wilt's stats shrink in the playoffs especially against Boston, somehow Wilt's average ppg shrink around 5 points while rebounds up a few more.. that's also very interesting data...

I've always got a question that why Wilt's ppg and rpg shrink in the playoffs compare with the regular season? Any idea?

One of the reason could be that Wilt couldn't get the ball, because they double or triple team in front of Wilt before he touches the ball.

I checked the NBA rule history that the illegal deffense only started in 81-82 season:

1981-82

jlauber
03-29-2010, 09:39 AM

Excellent post. Incidently, I either listened to, or watched, EVERY Laker game in their magical 71-72 season, and much like Pollack, I honestly believed Wilt averaged something along the lines of 10 blocks a game, at least in that season. Blocks were not an "official" stat until 73-74 (the year after Wilt retired), but they were kept in many games.

As you are probably aware, in the 66-67 ECF's, Wilt also held Russell to 10 ppg on .358 shooting, and then held Thurmond to 14 ppg on .343 shooting. He outrebounded Russell by a 32-23 per game, and Thurmond by a 29-27 margin per game.

H2H against Kareem, there was no question that Kareem outscored him, but Wilt certainly did a solid job of holding him in down in terms of FG%. I posted a link which stated that Wilt blocked 20 Milwaukee shots in the last two games of the 71-72 WCF's, and 11 of them were Kareem's. And, in the following season (Wilt's last), from what I can remember, Chamberlain did a fantastic job on Kareem. In one of Wilt's books, he mentions that he even outscored Kareem, 24-22 in one them, while outshooting him, 10-14 to 10-27. I must mention, though, that in one game between the two late that season, Wilt was held to 0 points (he did not even attempt a shot...and then he only scored one point against Thurmond the very next game.)

You also cited Wilt's brilliant play against Kareem in the 70-71 playoffs, in which he basically battled him to a statistical draw. When you consider that Wilt was only a year moved from major knee surgery, and that he was also nearing the end of his career, and was 11 years older than Kareem, it has to be considered something of a moral victory.

Of course, the real question would be, what would have a PRIME Chamberlain done against Kareem? I have always considered Wilt's 66-67 season as his best, but he did cut back his scoring dramatically that year (however, he shattered the FG% record with a .683 mark.) Prior to that season, though, Wilt had averaged an astonishing 39.6 ppg through his first seven seasons, and was at about 33 ppg against Russell in that span. While Kareem was a solid defender for much of his career, I don't him being capable of playing Wilt any better than Russell did. So, IMHO, I think Wilt, at his peak, and asked to score more, would have probably outscored Kareem, probably easily outshot from the field, and would have easily outrebounded him (something that he did even at the end of his career.)

Anyway, thanks for the post!

Psileas
03-29-2010, 10:20 AM
@ julizaver & jlauber: While google-archive searching, I used to be able to find a source (I think from an LA newspaper) which contained info about Wilt's actual blocked shot totals in his last season (1972-73). I had managed to take data from 2 dates and I got this:

-Wilt had blocked 272 shots in a date corresponding to 47 games played.
-Wilt had blocked 392 shots in a date corresponding to 70 games played.

Unfortunately, in the last months I can't find this source any longer, but I guess if you're a Google Archive member, you can find sources as a whole. Can anyone help on these figures?

julizaver
03-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Excellent post. Incidently, I either listened to, or watched, EVERY Laker game in their magical 71-72 season, and much like Pollack, I honestly believed Wilt averaged something along the lines of 10 blocks a game, at least in that season. Blocks were not an "official" stat until 73-74 (the year after Wilt retired), but they were kept in many games.

As you are probably aware, in the 66-67 ECF's, Wilt also held Russell to 10 ppg on .358 shooting, and then held Thurmond to 14 ppg on .343 shooting. He outrebounded Russell by a 32-23 per game, and Thurmond by a 29-27 margin per game.

H2H against Kareem, there was no question that Kareem outscored him, but Wilt certainly did a solid job of holding him in down in terms of FG%. I posted a link which stated that Wilt blocked 20 Milwaukee shots in the last two games of the 71-72 WCF's, and 11 of them were Kareem's. And, in the following season (Wilt's last), from what I can remember, Chamberlain did a fantastic job on Kareem. In one of Wilt's books, he mentions that he even outscored Kareem, 24-22 in one them, while outshooting him, 10-14 to 10-27. I must mention, though, that in one game between the two late that season, Wilt was held to 0 points (he did not even attempt a shot...and then he only scored one point against Thurmond the very next game.)

You also cited Wilt's brilliant play against Kareem in the 70-71 playoffs, in which he basically battled him to a statistical draw. When you consider that Wilt was only a year moved from major knee surgery, and that he was also nearing the end of his career, and was 11 years older than Kareem, it has to be considered something of a moral victory.

Of course, the real question would be, what would have a PRIME Chamberlain done against Kareem? I have always considered Wilt's 66-67 season as his best, but he did cut back his scoring dramatically that year (however, he shattered the FG% record with a .683 mark.) Prior to that season, though, Wilt had averaged an astonishing 39.6 ppg through his first seven seasons, and was at about 33 ppg against Russell in that span. While Kareem was a solid defender for much of his career, I don't him being capable of playing Wilt any better than Russell did. So, IMHO, I think Wilt, at his peak, and asked to score more, would have probably outscored Kareem, probably easily outshot from the field, and would have easily outrebounded him (something that he did even at the end of his career.)

Anyway, thanks for the post!

Tommorow (unforunately my data is on flash, which I forgot at work) I will post the data (which I have callected by Google News Archive search) about first 11 games ( between than Alcindor) and the second 17 games (betwen Wilt and Jabbar :) ) . You will see the numbers and than they cen be discused - as I remember Kareem shot 46 % Fg in those 28 meetings, while Wilt shot 53 % FG.

And yes there is such game from 1972/73 season that Wilt outplayed Kareem - he also outrebound him in that game. And in the last game between both he scored 0 points , Kareem has shot about 40 % ( I have also that data and will post it tommorow) , but Bucks won by 1 point 85:84. And in the next game (last season game) Wilt had only 1 point, but had 18 rebounds and 9 assists - but I don't remember the opponent.
In general in 1972/73 season Wilt is outscored and outrebound by Kareem.

alexandreben
03-29-2010, 12:28 PM
@ julizaver & jlauber: While google-archive searching, I used to be able to find a source (I think from an LA newspaper) which contained info about Wilt's actual blocked shot totals in his last season (1972-73). I had managed to take data from 2 dates and I got this:

Unfortunately, in the last months I can't find this source any longer, but I guess if you're a Google Archive member, you can find sources as a whole. Can anyone help on these figures?

392 blocks which will give Wilt 5.6 blocks per game...

It is said that Wilt's shot block is 9.2 per game in his entire career while Russell had 8.7 shot blocks per game. I don't have the source, it is said that Jerry Carter and Marcus Carter spent 4 years reviewed all videos and calculated the stats above.

julizaver
03-29-2010, 12:31 PM

I am not a google archive news member - but used the key words to search data from paysites like LA Times.
A have the following data about his first 10 playoff games from 1973 games (7 from Chicago series - when Wilt blocked 49 shots -7 per game and the next three games against SF - he had 23 blocks - so in the first 10 games he averaged 7.2 blocks).

Yes, I am sure that they start recorded blocks regularly from 1972-73, as I also find an article about Wilt blocking 15 shots in one game, claiming that this is "his season high since that stats were kept" , but still the so called NBA and ESPN experts refused to accept that a lot of data exist especially in the early 70's and "speculated" about it.
How it sounds to them if almost 37 years Chamberlain registered shot-blocking records in his last season - or registered 5,6 blocks per game - wonder where the comparisions with "G.O.A.T" Shaq will go if someday NBA decide to acknowledge this ?.

alexandreben
03-29-2010, 04:10 PM
I am not a google archive news member - but used the key words to search data from paysites like LA Times.
A have the following data about his first 10 playoff games from 1973 games (7 from Chicago series - when Wilt blocked 49 shots -7 per game and the next three games against SF - he had 23 blocks - so in the first 10 games he averaged 7.2 blocks).

Great research, appreciate it.
could you post some quotes from the LA Times? or linkage? thank you!

julizaver
03-30-2010, 02:05 AM
Great research, appreciate it.
could you post some quotes from the LA Times? or linkage? thank you!

The links are useless because when you open them you must pay to read it or download it - the info I gather is only in Google News Search results - for example type "Chambln FG" or "Laker box score" from "Los Angeles Times" or whatever source you want and you receved a result like that: ... Min FG FGA FT FT R A P T ... chamblin 45 10 14 7 17 25 3 2 27 west 38 7 14 ... or something like that - actually is not very easy since the data is from microfilms and sometimes damaged.

However when you have read so many newspapers from that time - I can recall a title after the 7 th game with Chicago in 1973 - "Wilt blocked Chikago from playoffs"
In that series Wilt averaged 12.0 ppg 24,6 rpg 3.0 apg 7.0 blocks per game, while shooting 57.41 % FG.

In fact I spent a lot of my free time searching and researching - doing that for more than two years. All of the data I have is collected piece by piece.
For example in the Harvey Pollack's Stats Book (can be found free on Internet) I find some little mistakes - they are not changing the general picture in general, and that's why I did not make a noise about it.

julizaver
03-30-2010, 02:24 AM
jlauber, I seperated the data for two parts as Wilt abondon scoring after 1970/71 season:

First 11 meetings (1 from 1969, 5 from reg.season 70/71 and 5 in 71 WCF)

Wilt 22.8 ppg 17.6 rpg 2.8 apg 49,74 FG %
Kareem 26.1 ppg 15.6 rpg 2.5 apg 45,49 FG %

Second 17 meetings (5 in 71/72 season, 6 in 72 WCF and 6 from 72/73 season)

Wilt 11.8 ppg 18.6 rpg 3.7 apg 56,72 FG %
Kareem 34.1 ppg 16.9 rpg 4.8 apg 46,81 FG %

alexandreben
03-31-2010, 08:32 AM
The links are useless because when you open them you must pay to read it or download it - the info I gather is only in Google News Search results - for example type "Chambln FG" or "Laker box score" from "Los Angeles Times" or whatever source you want and you receved a result like that: ... Min FG FGA FT FT R A P T ... chamblin 45 10 14 7 17 25 3 2 27 west 38 7 14 ... or something like that - actually is not very easy since the data is from microfilms and sometimes damaged.

However when you have read so many newspapers from that time - I can recall a title after the 7 th game with Chicago in 1973 - "Wilt blocked Chikago from playoffs"
In that series Wilt averaged 12.0 ppg 24,6 rpg 3.0 apg 7.0 blocks per game, while shooting 57.41 % FG.

In fact I spent a lot of my free time searching and researching - doing that for more than two years. All of the data I have is collected piece by piece.
For example in the Harvey Pollack's Stats Book (can be found free on Internet) I find some little mistakes - they are not changing the general picture in general, and that's why I did not make a noise about it.
Great post! please forgive my limited knowledge, could you give me a linkage of the "Harvey Pollack's Stats Book" please? Thanks!

julizaver
03-31-2010, 11:20 AM
Great post! please forgive my limited knowledge, could you give me a linkage of the "Harvey Pollack's Stats Book" please? Thanks!

http://www.nba.com/media/sixers/Pollack_200607_Stats.pdf

In the first pages you can find data about Wilt's 1961-62 season and on the last paged you can find a stats about all games between Russell and Chamberlain.

jlauber
03-31-2010, 11:34 AM
jlauber, I seperated the data for two parts as Wilt abondon scoring after 1970/71 season:

First 11 meetings (1 from 1969, 5 from reg.season 70/71 and 5 in 71 WCF)

Wilt 22.8 ppg 17.6 rpg 2.8 apg 49,74 FG %
Kareem 26.1 ppg 15.6 rpg 2.5 apg 45,49 FG %

Second 17 meetings (5 in 71/72 season, 6 in 72 WCF and 6 from 72/73 season)

Wilt 11.8 ppg 18.6 rpg 3.7 apg 56,72 FG %
Kareem 34.1 ppg 16.9 rpg 4.8 apg 46,81 FG %

Great work!

Overall, in their 28 career games, it looks like Wilt, playing with a reconstructed knee and arthritis, as well as being 11 years older, more than held his own against Kareem. While being outscored, particularly during the 71-72 regular season, Wilt did a maginificent job holding Kareem down in terms of FG% (about 46%...and once again, take away the 71-72 regular season...and it drops down considerably)...while outrebounding him, and outshooting him by a large margin. And while we probably don't have all the blocked shot info, I am reasonably certain that Wilt had more blocks, as well. In fact, we KNOW that Wilt blocked 15 sky-hooks in the 71-72 playoffs alone. In the last two games of that series, Chamberlain blocked 20 Buck shots...and 11 of them were Kareem's.

Here again, those that claim Kareem was a better player should take a closer look at their H2H meetings. Even more importantly, what would a PRIME Chamberlain have accomplished against Kareem?

Harison
03-31-2010, 11:47 AM
Of course, there are people who literally learn phone books with hundreds thousands of names, too bad I dont have such memory :lol

alexandreben
03-31-2010, 12:46 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/sixers/Pollack_200607_Stats.pdf

In the first pages you can find data about Wilt's 1961-62 season and on the last paged you can find a stats about all games between Russell and Chamberlain.

That's amazing!!!! Thank you so much for showing the report! especially the detail recap between Wilt and Russell!!!

how about the recap between Wilt and Kareem? is there any record in the Pollack's book?

and i assume Pollack has also kept tracking Wilt's shot blocking records, hasn't he?

any idea about that ?

jlauber
03-31-2010, 12:59 PM
That's amazing!!!! Thank you so much for showing the report! especially the detail recap between Wilt and Russell!!!

how about the recap between Wilt and Kareem? is there any record in the Pollack's book?

and i assume Pollack has also kept tracking Wilt's shot blocking records, hasn't he?

any idea about that ?

Pollack was and is the premier statistician in all of professional sports. And, while he did record many of Wilt's blocks, there were not "officially" kept. However, he is on record as saying that Chamberlain averaged double-digit blocks in his career. He also had one game in which Chamberlain blocked 25 shots.

You don't really need a recap of the Kareem-Wilt matchups, as Julizaver pretty much summed it up. IMHO, Wilt, at the very LEAST, battled Kareem to a draw in their H2H matchups...all on aged knees and well past his prime. One can only assume that he would have dominated Kareem in his PRIME.

alexandreben
03-31-2010, 01:14 PM
Pollack was and is the premier statistician in all of professional sports. And, while he did record many of Wilt's blocks, there were not "officially" kept. However, he is on record as saying that Chamberlain averaged double-digit blocks in his career. He also had one game in which Chamberlain blocked 25 shots.

You don't really need a recap of the Kareem-Wilt matchups, as Julizaver pretty much summed it up. IMHO, Wilt, at the very LEAST, battled Kareem to a draw in their H2H matchups...all on aged knees and well past his prime. One can only assume that he would have dominated Kareem in his PRIME.
do you have anything or linkage can show that Pollack's statistics? so that i can spread it out to more people, in fact, a lot of people don't know about Wilt's blocking ability... it gotta be a figure to let them know how good Wilt was, by doing that, we need some proof even it's not official yet, hope i make myself clear, thx in advance i appreciate it pretty much.

Wilt will dominate Kareem in his prime, i have no doubt about it, totally agree! i've been collecting the vid

3ptShooter
03-31-2010, 01:23 PM
The Irony about Kareem making those comments is that's many of Kareem's flaws were much more damaging to him and his teams than Wilt's. Kareem never had the intelligence to play the game at the level his skills and physical gifts suggested he should.

Huh? What you talkin bout Willis? :confusedshrug:

That said, Kareem was clearly an ass and the way he went personal on Wilt shows the combo of ego and insecurity that many greats seem to have. Maybe all those years of battling in the post didn't help. :D

PERSONAL STORY INVOLVING KAREEM AND WILT
This seems somewhat related...

Years ago I purchased a ticket to a KAJ signing. Was told to "bring anything", so I made a custom piece of art (just a very small drawing, but it took a lot of time).

The day of, I'm in line waiting. I was approached by someone from the show saying Kareem didn't sign anything but pictures or bballs (as I remember), and that I could purchase one if I wanted. I explained what I was told, but after he "talked to his people" it was still a no. I told them to shove it and got my money back.

The guy behind me starts talking about how he went to a similiar event for Wilt and he was the nicest guy. Would sign anything, and chat with you a bit. He confirmed his previous experience with Kareem was not so much.

I've always rooted for KAJ to soften up over time, which he certainly has. His past attitude has prevented him from getting the coaching job he's always wanted, so I guess attitudes have concequences. I wish him the best in his illness battle.

purple32gold
03-31-2010, 01:34 PM
Huh? What you talkin bout Willis? :confusedshrug:

That said, Kareem was clearly an ass and the way he went personal on Wilt shows the combo of ego and insecurity that many greats seem to have. Maybe all those years of battling in the post didn't help. :D

PERSONAL STORY INVOLVING KAREEM AND WILT
This seems somewhat related...

Years ago I purchased a ticket to a KAJ signing. Was told to "bring anything", so I made a custom piece of art (just a very small drawing, but it took a lot of time).

The day of, I'm in line waiting. I was approached by someone from the show saying Kareem didn't sign anything but pictures or bballs (as I remember), and that I could purchase one if I wanted. I explained what I was told, but after he "talked to his people" it was still a no. I told them to shove it and got my money back.

The guy behind me starts talking about how he went to a similiar event for Wilt and he was the nicest guy. Would sign anything, and chat with you a bit. He confirmed his previous experience with Kareem was not so much.

I've always rooted for KAJ to soften up over time, which he certainly has. His past attitude has prevented him from getting the coaching job he's always wanted, so I guess attitudes have concequences. I wish him the best in his illness battle.
my grandpa always told me when kareem came to LA he was viewed as a recluse. he was sort of one of those guys in the late 60's early 70's who embraced the malcolm x/back to africa/brotherhood movement in america and kept to himself for that reason. he HATED the media...and still does very very much. if he had it his way he'd never be on camera. he's just a very introverted person i guess. anyone who's ever seen/been around magic johnson knows he's probably one of the happiest/entertaining folk to be around for extended periods of time and that probably just made kareem look like more of a butthole. he's still my favorite...i think people sometimes forget not all bball players have the personality of a kobe or wilt. sometimes they're soft spoken brothers of islam, or pot smoking acid taking vegetarian hippies from san diego ;-)

EDIT: i just read what G.O.A.T. wrote about kareem not being "intelligent enough" to be a better ball player. i do not think his issue was intelligence...he was a very smart athlete on the contrary. graduating from UCLA in the 60's isn't the cake walk baron davis and kevin love have made it look over the past few years. he only gave what he felt was necessary to the game during any random game. he was not the type to go out and put up 60 even if he felt he could. he deferred to his teammates and conserved his energy/mind for when it was needed. kareem doesn't have 1/3 of the ego wilt had, he just doesn't like being around other people it seems

julizaver
03-31-2010, 02:47 PM

any idea about that ?

No, Harvey Pollack did not post this shot-blocking stat anywhere in the net and I think that his records are lost (maybe).
Regarding Kareem- Wilt recaps such complete data doesn't exist in the net - only in the book Who's best who's better in basketball by Elliot Calb exist a brief summary with points and rebounds only - and on espn link there is info about their first duel and again the brief sumary. So I collect this manualy by google searching using unorthodox methods ( to gain info from LA Times, which want from you to pay to view the content, and the other source were two Milwaukee newspapapers and several others in fact) . Also used the data from arpb.org. In fact I spent a lot of my free time to gain it.
I have the info about all the 28 games and that's why I post it here with the assists numbers and FG % - and also post some data on youtube.

Dou you knoew that KU track all the shot blocking data of WIlt during his 2 years with them - in total 302 blocks - more than 6 blocks per game. :) And consider the facts - there is no 24 seconds on that time in NCAA and teams using freezing tactics to stop WIlt's dominance, the NCAA game is 40 minutes, the final scores in Wilt's games were something like 60 to 50.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/mar/27/born-first-3d/

jlauber
04-01-2010, 02:07 AM
No, Harvey Pollack did not post this shot-blocking stat anywhere in the net and I think that his records are lost (maybe).
Regarding Kareem- Wilt recaps such complete data doesn't exist in the net - only in the book Who's best who's better in basketball by Elliot Calb exist a brief summary with points and rebounds only - and on espn link there is info about their first duel and again the brief sumary. So I collect this manualy by google searching using unorthodox methods ( to gain info from LA Times, which want from you to pay to view the content, and the other source were two Milwaukee newspapapers and several others in fact) . Also used the data from arpb.org. In fact I spent a lot of my free time to gain it.
I have the info about all the 28 games and that's why I post it here with the assists numbers and FG % - and also post some data on youtube.

Dou you knoew that KU track all the shot blocking data of WIlt during his 2 years with them - in total 302 blocks - more than 6 blocks per game. :) And consider the facts - there is no 24 seconds on that time in NCAA and teams using freezing tactics to stop WIlt's dominance, the NCAA game is 40 minutes, the final scores in Wilt's games were something like 60 to 50.

You have become a valuable resource here!

alexandreben
04-01-2010, 11:58 AM

Such a pity that there's no data post on net......

just out of curiosity, can you post the recap game by game between Wilt and Kareem? it is quite interesting to see those data game by game, i m writing something to memorize their meeting with vid

julizaver
04-01-2010, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=alexandreben]Such a pity that there's no data post on net......

just out of curiosity, can you post the recap game by game between Wilt and Kareem? it is quite interesting to see those data game by game, i m writing something to memorize their meeting with vid