PDA

View Full Version : Monta Ellis vs O.J. Mayo

warriorfan
03-30-2010, 11:24 PM
There were talks of an O.J. Mayo for Monta Ellis trade a few weeks ago, it never materialized however. Originally I was happy the warriors didn't do this trade, but on second thought I would probably go ahead and do it. I think Monta Ellis is a better player slightly, but Mayo would be a better fit in the direction the warriors are going. This is how I see the two as of now.

ball handling - monta
3 point range - mayo
defense - wash
age - mayo
distributing - wash
finishing at the rim - monta
length - mayo
athleticism - monta
contracts (value) - mayo
overall talent - monta

I have Monta as the better player, but not by much.

fubu05
03-30-2010, 11:28 PM
There were talks of an O.J. Mayo for Monta Ellis trade a few weeks ago, it never materialized however. Originally I was happy the warriors didn't do this trade, but on second thought I would probably go ahead and do it. I think Monta Ellis is a better player slightly, but Mayo would be a better fit in the direction the warriors are going. This is how I see the two as of now.

ball handling - monta
3 point range - mayo
defense - wash
age - mayo
distributing - wash
length - mayo
athleticism - monta
contracts (value) - mayo
overall talent - monta

in b4 OJ a 6'4 Mamba calls that last point invalid, and probably a lot more. But Mayo is def the better overall talent imo. You mentioned 3point range, but not jumpshot inside the arc, which Mayo has the edge in again. I like Mayo better.

brandonislegend
03-30-2010, 11:34 PM

ball handling - monta
3 point range - mayo
defense - wash
age - mayo
distributing - wash
length - mayo
athleticism - monta
contracts (value) - mayo
overall talent - monta

Mayo is an excellent passer and a must better defender than monta ellis when motivated...

Baby_D
03-31-2010, 12:23 AM
in b4 OJ a 6'4 Mamba calls that last point invalid, and probably a lot more. But Mayo is def the better overall talent imo. You mentioned 3point range, but not jumpshot inside the arc, which Mayo has the edge in again. I like Mayo better.

I have to disagree on the jump shot inside the arc thing, monta shot 60.2% from the field Feb 2008 and in my opinion has one of the most consistent mid range jumpers in the league.

brandonislegend
03-31-2010, 12:34 AM
I have to disagree on the jump shot inside the arc thing, monta shot 60.2% from the field Feb 2008 and in my opinion has one of the most consistent mid range jumpers in the league.

You cant honestly think Ellis has a better jumpshot from anywhere than OJ Mayo, GS gets so many easy buckets its not even fair to look at stats.

TennesseeFan
03-31-2010, 12:35 AM
what is to compare? One is tall and one is short.

HisAirness3
03-31-2010, 12:57 AM
I'd personally rather have O.J Mayo on my team rather than Ellis. Who's better? Probably Ellis, at least at this point. Mayo is just more mature for me and his game isn't as reckless like Ellis' game is. OJ Mayo. One feature that amazes me the most about Mayo is his FG%. I'm sure most of us thought that this guy was going to be a streaky, high volume scorer like what Brandon Jennings is right now. His 3 point percentage has been quite consistent as well with 38% this season and last season.

inclinerator
03-31-2010, 01:23 AM
monte is the 2nd best player in the league after kobe bryant

brandonislegend
03-31-2010, 01:34 AM
:wtf:

chitownsfinest
03-31-2010, 01:44 AM
'Tay has really nice passing skills but just isn't a willing enough passer. I'd also say he is a better scorer then OJ as well. You can say Monta's stats are inflated due to the syastem he plays in, but he has a really wet mid range J, is a good finisher around the rim, and can get to the rim at ease (but is turnover prone as well). OJ just isn't as explosive as a scorer but has a better outside shot. He also plays on a team full of scorers unlike monta but I feel Ellis is just the better overall scorer at this point regardless of system.

Overall, I would take Monta over Mayo.

ODEN>DURANT
03-31-2010, 02:00 AM
One guy just chucks the 3 ball every night coz he got a lot of D-Leaguers on his team. Put Monta on a good team he would suck.

Mayo all night long.

ODEN>DURANT
03-31-2010, 02:01 AM

I can dunk 13 feet.

gyu
03-31-2010, 02:04 AM
One guy just chucks the 3 ball every night coz he got a lot of D-Leaguers on his team. Put Monta on a good team he would suck.

Mayo all night long.
He was good playing along Baron Davis a couple seasons ago

Chan ho nam
03-31-2010, 02:17 AM
i would say Monta is the better player right now

O.J A 6'4Mamba
03-31-2010, 03:04 AM

*clears throat*
http://www.ojmayonnaise.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/oj-mayo-0910.jpg
OJ Mayo is the better talent/potential(kobe potential). Monta is a class act he is a better player right now. There is no shame in that Monta 25/4/5. Even Jerry Stackhouse was better than Young Kobe in his second year. Both class acts, but i think this video speaks for itself, Mayo made Monta fall on his *** without pushing him .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH5o0bXFEqg

Go Getter
03-31-2010, 03:10 AM
*clears throat*
OJ Mayo is the better talent/potential(kobe potential). Monta is a class act he is a better player right now. There is no shame in that Monta 25/4/5. Even Jerry Stackhouse was better than Young Kobe in his second year. Both class acts, but i think this video speaks for itself, Mayo made Monta fall on his *** without pushing him .

Cue the vid of Wade making OJ fly into his teammate:lol

O.J A 6'4Mamba
03-31-2010, 11:41 AM
Cue the vid of Wade making OJ fly into his teammate:lol

:lol

Birmingham1955
03-31-2010, 04:36 PM
I think OJ Mayo is better than Monta Ellis in all areas besides driving and first step. Speed wise they are about the same if you really watch them on the break. Mayo may be the most underrated guard in terms of speed. He doesn't have a quick first step, but he is a blur when he has rooom to run.

OnceInADECADE
03-31-2010, 05:01 PM
yes, the 6'4 worm has arrived. monta ellis is a better player rite now but in two years i will like oj over ellis. but still in two i will like eric gordon over the two them

Kellogs4toniee
03-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Man I still remember two-three years ago when Monta Ellis was not considered a chucker. He was shooting way above 50%, averaging 20PPG, then he got injured the next season with that whole Scooter fiasco and he's never been the same since. I remember looking at his inside the arc field goal percentage and thinking he was going to be the next elite guard.

RoTM
03-31-2010, 05:25 PM
Monta will be fine next year when his teams healthy. They have him taking 7 more shots a game then 07-08, so not really surprising that his fg% dropped. Most of those extra attempts are most likely jumpers, and considering his assisted % they are off the dribble.

O.J A 6'4Mamba
03-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Man I still remember two-three years ago when Monta Ellis was not considered a chucker. He was shooting way above 50%, averaging 20PPG, then he got injured the next season with that whole Scooter fiasco and he's never been the same since. I remember looking at his inside the arc field goal percentage and thinking he was going to be the next elite guard.

OJ Mayo is one of those next elite guards. He has been NBA ready dealing with media since he was 16. Monta was/is talented no question, but mentally he is not capable of being an elite guard. A lot like JR Smith just not that bad IQ wise. You need the whole package, skill, poise, IQ to be elite. Last time i checked Kobe Bryant said this.

Bryant already knew Mayo, who attended his camp last summer, and already thought highly of him. “I think the world of him,” Bryant said. “I think he’s extremely talented. I think he has a great overall game that a lot of young players don’t have in terms of skills. He can handle, he can shoot, he can pass, he’s fast, he’s quick, so that’s the whole package.”

O.J A 6'4Mamba
03-31-2010, 05:38 PM
yes, the 6'4 worm has arrived. monta ellis is a better player rite now but in two years i will like oj over ellis. but still in two i will like eric gordon over the two them

except for the last part i totally agree. Threre is nothing wrong with that. Aagin Jerry Stackhouse was better than Kobe for the first 4-5 years of their careers.

fubu05
03-31-2010, 05:42 PM

Xavier Henry/Evan Turner/Wes Johnson in 2 years > Eric Gordon,Mayo,Ellis

O.J A 6'4Mamba
03-31-2010, 05:47 PM

you will be disappointed. What was Turner a 4 star HS player that had to stay in college 3 years. When Mayo and Gordon were NBA ready at 16 and Ellis at 19. Xavier Henry above average average like 12 points as a freshman when Gordon and Mayo averaged 20. Who is Wes Johnson nothing more needs to be said.

OnceInADECADE
03-31-2010, 05:50 PM

no. i dont want a very ball dominate player on my team who is very turnover prone plus he is the same age as eric so no. the dude is cleary marquis daniel clone. xavier henry is pretty good for a freshman but should stay another year but still i'll take oj mayo n eric gordon based on their freshman season. and wesley johnson is a small foward.

eric gordon, oj mayo, ellis>>>> evan turner n henry

fubu05
03-31-2010, 05:53 PM
you will be disappointed. What was Turner a 4 star HS player that had to stay in college 3 years. When Mayo and Gordon were NBA ready at 16 and Ellis at 19. Xavier Henry above average average like 12 points as a freshman when Gordon and Mayo averaged 20. Who is Wes Johnson nothing more needs to be said.

LOL. Xavier Henry did that being 4th option on his team on offense. The guy will make a splash, just turned 19 this month. He's got a career ahead of him. What was Jordan when he was in HS? I don't see your argument there. Not saying that Evan Turner is Jordan, and got better at the college level like Jordan, but I'm just saying that High-School ratings are way too unpredictable(Kwame Brown). Wes Johnson is Big East POY. :confusedshrug: Guess you don't watch much college ball.

no. i dont want a very ball dominate player on my team who is very turnover prone plus he is the same age as eric so no. the dude is cleary marquis daniel clone. xavier henry is pretty good for a freshman but should stay another year but still i'll take oj mayo n eric gordon based on their freshman season. and wesley johnson is a small foward.

eric gordon, oj mayo, ellis>>>> evan turner n henry

He's played some SG in his college career. He's a bit small for a SF which is why I am doubtful if he can succeed as a SF in the NBA unless he puts on some weight.

OnceInADECADE
03-31-2010, 05:55 PM

wow me n mamba have finally agreed on something
the beef is over. i respect you and oj mayo

fos
03-31-2010, 06:05 PM
*clears throat*

Can we stop comparing him to young Kobe, OJ Mayo is 22 years old. Kobe was dropping 28 ppg at 22. It's pretty obvious Mayo will never be a superstar. Nice player, not a superstar.

RoTM
03-31-2010, 06:13 PM
Mayo is a better 3 point catch and shoot player then Monta. I don't think hes a better shooter overall. Mayo is shooting 38% from three while being assisted on 83% of his 3 point attempts. Monta shoots 33% while being assisted on 66% of his attempts.

From 16-23ft Monta is shooting 37% with 32% ast'd, Mayo is at 40% with 51% of shots ast'd. From 10-15ft they both hit 40%.

I'm convinced Monta would be a better scorer then Mayo hands down if didn't have to create offense for himself so much. in 07-08 when he had a team he was assisted off of 45% of his shots with 6-15 attempts coming at the rim leading to a sky high 53% fg%. This year hes getting assist on just 35% of shots with only 6-22 of his attempts at the rim dropping his fg% to 45%.

GiveItToBurrito
03-31-2010, 07:54 PM
As far as talent, I think that they're roughly equal, at least when it comes to being able to put up numbers. Monta's selfish or at the least too shot happy and dominates the ball, while Mayo's a willing defender who can catch and shoot but can also create a shot when he needs to. I think that Monta would be a lot better as a sixth man energizer type with a team like Cleveland or Boston than he is now as a starter and de facto team leader.

O.J A 6'4Mamba
03-31-2010, 07:56 PM
LOL. Xavier Henry did that being 4th option on his team on offense. The guy will make a splash, just turned 19 this month. He's got a career ahead of him. What was Jordan when he was in HS? I don't see your argument there. Not saying that Evan Turner is Jordan, and got better at the college level like Jordan, but I'm just saying that High-School ratings are way too unpredictable(Kwame Brown). Wes Johnson is Big East POY. :confusedshrug: Guess you don't watch much college ball.

He's played some SG in his college career. He's a bit small for a SF which is why I am doubtful if he can succeed as a SF in the NBA unless he puts on some weight.

Your joking right. MJ was the all American game MVP. had 31 points that game. Averaged an Oscar Robertson triple double as a Senior. Don't let that hollywood garbage story of MJ getting cut from his Varsity team as a SOPHOMORE. They don't even tell you he averaged 29 points 10 rebs 9 assists on the JV at 6'2 THAT season. Jordan was always great, nobody said he was NBA ready at that age like Derrick Rose, LeBron James, OJ Mayo, Carmelo Anthony, but if you read between signs of him being the GOAT were always there.

O.J A 6'4Mamba
03-31-2010, 08:06 PM
Can we stop comparing him to young Kobe, OJ Mayo is 22 years old. Kobe was dropping 28 ppg at 22. It's pretty obvious Mayo will never be a superstar. Nice player, not a superstar.

Stop being a complete moron, idiot. My statements are worth more than your best statements now, and forever. With that out the way.

When playing at the highest level while being young I say 25 or younger is young for pro ball. It has nothing I repeat nothing to do with age. Anybody that believes that is a complete moron like yourself might I add. It is all about experience and years of play, anytime you compare you compre with what they did that season. If Kobe went to Duke all 4 years I find it hard to believe he would drop 28-30 points his first season idiot. Same with LeBron. There is a learning curve in the NBA different style of defense learing the ref, how to adjust to scouting reports, how to get to the line etc, how to draw fouls. etc. Age is completely irrevelant.

I mean a guy like Kevin Durant is a perfect example his first year, he struggle to score efficiently. As he learned more about the NBA he learned how to get to the line, shoot efficiently. You could have stuck Kevin Durant at 24 years old as a rookie and he would put up similar numbers just as he was a 19 year old rookie.

Watching OJ is like watching history before history is made. So with this you have been served.

RoTM
03-31-2010, 08:42 PM
Too bad Mayo hasn't improved in his second year then. His slump is being covered up by his team improving and feeding the ball to him in good position more.

warriorfan
04-01-2010, 12:15 AM
Mayo is a better 3 point catch and shoot player then Monta. I don't think hes a better shooter overall. Mayo is shooting 38% from three while being assisted on 83% of his 3 point attempts. Monta shoots 33% while being assisted on 66% of his attempts.

From 16-23ft Monta is shooting 37% with 32% ast'd, Mayo is at 40% with 51% of shots ast'd. From 10-15ft they both hit 40%.

I'm convinced Monta would be a better scorer then Mayo hands down if didn't have to create offense for himself so much. in 07-08 when he had a team he was assisted off of 45% of his shots with 6-15 attempts coming at the rim leading to a sky high 53% fg%. This year hes getting assist on just 35% of shots with only 6-22 of his attempts at the rim dropping his fg% to 45%.

Good post, raised points that I was going to bring up.

Stat Lines from both players at 22, (this season for mayo two seasons ago for monta)

Name G MP FG% 3P% TRB AST STL BLK TOV PTS
Mayo 73 38.5 .438 .381 3.8 3.1 1.2 0.2 2.2 17.7
Monta 81 37.9 .531 .231 5.0 3.9 1.5 0.3 2.1 20.2

I don't agree with OJ having better D than Monta. OJ is a reasonable defender but Monta has cranked up his effort on the defensive side this season. He has a ton of steals and does gamble a lot, but he does not let himself lose position because of it. He has also had some big defensive games against Brandon Roy and Kobe this season as well.

Seems like the consensus is that Monta is a better player now, OJ with the possibility of having a greater upside.

O.J A 6'4Mamba
04-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Good post, raised points that I was going to bring up.

Stat Lines from both players at 22, (this season for mayo two seasons ago for monta)

Name G MP FG% 3P% TRB AST STL BLK TOV PTS
Mayo 73 38.5 .438 .381 3.8 3.1 1.2 0.2 2.2 17.7
Monta 81 37.9 .531 .231 5.0 3.9 1.5 0.3 2.1 20.2

I don't agree with OJ having better D than Monta. OJ is a reasonable defender but Monta has cranked up his effort on the defensive side this season. He has a ton of steals and does gamble a lot, but he does not let himself lose position because of it. He has also had some big defensive games against Brandon Roy and Kobe this season as well.

Seems like the consensus is that Monta is a better player now, OJ with the possibility of having a greater upside.

First stats in GSW have always been inflated. Second only a moron doesn't see Ellis is the better player NOW. I personally think Ellis is underrated. That being said Jerry Stackhouse was better than Kobe the first 5 years of his career, but it was clear Kobe had the better upside. I am not saying Ellis is stackhouse like scorer or OJ is Kobe, but the potential or upside is there to become that type of elite player. Where for Ellis it simply isn't.

xOShakespearexO
04-01-2010, 02:06 PM
mayo all day. monta is having a better season statistical, but mayo is the better player and wins more.

Bigsmoke
04-01-2010, 06:00 PM
i dont know but OJ Mayo didnt improve at all from last year IMO.

RoTM
04-01-2010, 06:46 PM
mayo all day. monta is having a better season statistical, but mayo is the better player and wins more.

Hard to win when you're down to seven players and Don Nelson has to play Magette at center for stretches.

JayGuevara
04-01-2010, 07:03 PM

Mayo all night long.

He averaged 20.2 points, 4.7 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 1.5 steals per game on 53% shooting on a team that won 48 games and also had two other 20+ points per game players in Baron Davis and Stephen Jackson.

If I recall correctly he also shot over 60% for at least a month while averaging like 25 a game during that season.

Ellis was also a second round draft pick, whereas Mayo was 3rd overall. :confusedshrug:

O.J A 6'4Mamba
06-14-2010, 01:11 AM
Heisley and Wallace have confirmed that OJ Mayo will not be traded this off season for anyone. Then proceeded to compare OJ to Kobe.

Now I am going to have to go talk to O.J.," Heisley said. "If he is upset about it, I am going to go talk to him about it because, quite frankly, I couldn't be any happier with O.J. and with my team. To be honest, I don't know how I would put another player in that team and interrupt the chemistry there.

"That is why I was so upset that that thing was done [by the Warriors] because I do feel bad about that. Because O.J. is a loyal player. He has absolutely been without question one of the most professional guys on my team. I mean that.

"I am not going to play 'compare abilities' because Kobe [Bryant] is one of the great talents in the league. But I was one of the guys who went up to see O.J. work out in Chicago [before he was drafted] and after that I said that is who I wanted to get. What hit me was he seemed so Kobe-like in his demeanor and his work ethic and his working out to improve his game. He has improved every year since he has been in this league. I don't know what his top is in this game, but I do know that he will get whatever he can out of his ability."

Oj crossing up Monta does all the talking for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH5o0bXFEqg Give me juice, but no knock on Monta I like his game, just a little to stat orientated.

Birmingham1955
06-14-2010, 01:24 PM
I would still take Mayo

O.J A 6'4Mamba
11-19-2012, 06:40 AM
http://www.bloomberg.com/image/iqkHlPo8pqoE.jpg

2 years later debate closed.
Have a nice day

LT Ice Cream
11-19-2012, 11:54 PM

Have a nice day

fk outta here. No way Mayo carries that shitty GS team as well as Monta did in 08-11.

Kiarip
11-20-2012, 12:09 AM

Have a nice day

Lol based on 9 games?

brandonislegend
11-20-2012, 01:57 AM

Have a nice day

:roll: :applause:

ZaaaaaH
11-20-2012, 02:09 AM

Have a nice day

:roll:

Im just Glad You are still around. I really loved ur threads when OJ was a rookie. I thought you died after OJ had a terrible season last year. Im happy that you are still his Biggest fan. With that being said OJ is still not better then Ellis. OJ improved a lot but so did Ellis but OJ is Climbing that ladder very quickly under Jim Carry and Im looking forward to his improvement to Overcome Mambas legacy. :D