PDA

View Full Version : MORE EMBARRASSING: getting dunked on or getting your dunk blocked?

kidachi
04-17-2010, 02:08 PM
I think for me getting your dunk blocked is more shameful.. 'cause it's harder to block than dunk.. the timing.. the rise of blocking someone.. that shyt is hard to do..

Kevin_Garnett_5
04-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Getting your dunk blocked.

ukballer
Getting dunked on.

LAClipsFan33
Getting your dunk blocked and falling to the ground...even more embarrassing than getting crossed to the floor.

kidachi
04-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Getting dunked on.

more than being denied of dunking? why man?

Juges8932
04-17-2010, 02:15 PM
I think blocking a dunk is easier than dunking on somebody. You have to get up higher than the person by about 8 inches or be able to move the ball around their arm.

However, I think getting your dunk blocked is more embarrassing. For sure. At least for me, I would be way more embarrassed for that instead of getting dunked on. Neither would be nice, obviously.

ukballer
04-17-2010, 02:16 PM

A lot depends who dunks on you, or who blocks your dunk.

I dunno really, hardly a science I can explain. :lol

I'd just prefer to get blocked rather than the possibility of this happening to me.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd211/TarheelMike82/DannyGreendunk.jpg

Phong
04-17-2010, 02:18 PM
It really depends on the how you dunked on somebody and how you got blocked. A dunk with your crotch on the other guy's face or a weak dunk are not the same. A block that sends the dunker on his back or a fingertip delfection aren't the same.

This is embarassing:
http://nsa15.casimages.com/img/2010/03/29/1003290432566819.gif

crisoner
04-17-2010, 02:19 PM
I think getting dunked on.....

Getting blocked is the less of two evils.

kidachi
04-17-2010, 02:20 PM
It really depends on the how you dunked on somebody and how you got blocked. A dunk with your crotch on the other guy's face or a weak dunk are not the same. A block that sends the dunker on his back or a fingertip delfection aren't the same.

This is embarassing:

well if you're KEVIN GARNETT.. obviously yes.. great block..

but f*ck Manu he's a ****.. I'm kidding.. peace..

crisoner
04-17-2010, 02:20 PM

This is embarassing:

Geez I might change my mind after this....

Ginnnnoooobbbllliii!!

liquidrage
04-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Getting blocked. Getting dunked on means you tried to stop it at least. Something players should do more of instead of worrying about ending up in a poster.

BarberSchool
04-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Getting your dunk blocked and falling to the ground....When the blocked shot itself pushes dude backwards, but he's too stubborn to let go and catch his fall, and he still tries to push the dunk thru, with no success, falls his stubborn @ss on the ground......easily the Most embarrassing thing in basketball. :lol

kidachi
04-17-2010, 02:22 PM
ukballer..

i think that's the reason Paulus switched to football.. :oldlol:

RealKnowledge
04-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Getting your dunked blocked is more embarrassing in the moment and hurts ya pride for a good amount of time. Unless its nuts in your face dunk its really not embarrassing. Wade on Varejao, Amare on Tolliver are probably the only 2 of a few embarrassing ones this year

Burgz
04-17-2010, 02:26 PM
getting dunked on

i've been dunked on and had my dunk blocked and getting dunked on feels way worse

...but that ginobli block? SMH at KG

BigTicket
04-17-2010, 02:28 PM
Embarrassing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SYmae9FhkQ

More embarrassing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svsHlH-IvbY

Most embarrassing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7eH3lh96_s

kidachi
04-17-2010, 02:33 PM
I'll explain my answer more..

I've experienced both..

when i was dunked on.. I actually didn't feel that it was THAT SHAMEFUL.. i heard some oohs and aahs.. but it felt normal.. until my friends told me "he got you man, get 'em back"... i was like, oh shyt... it sinked in.. i was embarrassed..

when i tried to go up and got blocked.. i shook by head and just said to myself "how dare me..how dare me try to do that on him".. i wanna sit down on the bench and go back until that play disappears on their minds. :oldlol:

6thManOfTheYear
04-17-2010, 02:34 PM

This is embarassing:

kg was fouled by hill

lakerHater
04-17-2010, 02:51 PM
I think getting your lay up blocked is more embarrassing..... when you shoulda dunked it!

brwnman
04-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Neither is "embarrassing," it's part of basketball. If you are afraid to do one or the other because of the fear of getting blocked or getting dunked on, that means either you're playing defense or you're scared and pathetic on offense...

GOBB
04-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Getting your dunk blocked and falling to the ground...even more embarrassing than getting crossed to the floor.

Getting crossed over to the floor and blowing out your knee is even more embarrassing than getting a dunk blocked and falling to the floor.

Neither is "embarrassing," it's part of basketball.

Of course its embarrassing. Stop.

joyner82
04-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Neither is "embarrassing," it's part of basketball. If you are afraid to do one or the other because of the fear of getting blocked or getting dunked on, that means either you're playing defense or you're scared and pathetic on offense...

+1

It might be embarrassing when it happens, but that means you're playing hard. It's a hell of a lot better than these guys who don't attempt to go up for a dunk/layup out of fear or they step out of the way when someone is going up for a dunk.

joyner82
04-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Getting crossed over to the floor and blowing out your knee is even more embarrassing than getting a dunk blocked and falling to the floor.

attempting to cross someone and breaking your own ankles is even more embarrassing than getting crossed and blowing out your knees.

kidachi
04-17-2010, 03:01 PM

wow. welcome to a normal conversation man.

if you wanna be a smart as$ talk to nerds.

GOBB
04-17-2010, 03:11 PM
attempting to cross someone and breaking your own ankles is even more embarrassing than getting crossed and blowing out your knees.

Yeah that has happened. Link me to the stories please?

joyner82
04-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Yeah that has happened. Link me to the stories please?

Grant Hill injured himself in the 90's attempting to cross someone.

brwnman
04-17-2010, 03:17 PM
wow. welcome to a normal conversation man.

if you wanna be a smart as$ talk to nerds.

Do you think players are embarrassed getting dunked on or getting blocked? They're challenging a shot, being aggressive. Nothing wrong with that...

GOBB
04-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Grant Hill injured himself in the 90's attempting to cross someone.

No.

joyner82
04-17-2010, 03:18 PM
No.

LOL, yes he most certainly did.

GOBB
04-17-2010, 03:22 PM
LOL, yes he most certainly did.

No he didnt.

kidachi
04-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Do you think players are embarrassed getting dunked on or getting blocked? They're challenging a shot, being aggressive. Nothing wrong with that...

Do i think they're embarrassed? hell yeah dummy.

of course they're being aggressive, but that doesn't take away the humiliation/embarrassment inside if they didn't successfully do it. what are they stones?

stop being a smart as$.. ok?

brwnman
04-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Do i think they're embarrassed? hell yeah dummy.

of course they're being aggressive, but that doesn't take away the humiliation/embarrassment inside if they didn't successfully do it. what are they stones?

stop being a smart as$.. ok?

They're dumb if they're embarrassed. Too many players nowadays step aside because of the "fear" on getting dunked on and ending up on sports center, but the real embarrassment is not playing defense.

Of course its embarrassing. Stop.
No it's not. Not really...

GOBB
04-17-2010, 03:36 PM
No it's not. Not really...

Please, players who play the game consider it embarrassing. Its not embarrassing to you? Then what is...nothing? NJ Nets season isnt embarrassing, its apart of basketball. I follow. Nothing is embarrassing to you in the game of basketball. Thats fine. But to others? Its considered embarrassing. And anyone feeding you the pep talk of it happens, you're not the only one blah blah blah "its not embarrassing at all" does so for encouragement so a player doesnt get too down on himself thus taking them completely out of the game. Doubting thier skills etc etc. Wake up.

no0
04-17-2010, 03:47 PM
not a lot of things can be more embarrassing than this.
http://www.loudsportsshorts.com/basketball/dunks/vince_carter_dunks.jpg

6thManOfTheYear
04-17-2010, 03:49 PM
not a lot of things can be more embarrassing than this.
http://www.loudsportsshorts.com/basketball/dunks/vince_carter_dunks.jpg

http://i25.tinypic.com/28isphv.jpg

kidachi
04-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Please, players who play the game consider it embarrassing. Its not embarrassing to you? Then what is...nothing? NJ Nets season isnt embarrassing, its apart of basketball. I follow. Nothing is embarrassing to you in the game of basketball. Thats fine. But to others? Its considered embarrassing. And anyone feeding you the pep talk of it happens, you're not the only one blah blah blah "its not embarrassing at all" does so for encouragement so a player doesnt get too down on himself thus taking them completely out of the game. Doubting thier skills etc etc. Wake up.

This.

your freakin weird brwnman. Wake up. this is isn't talking guys into removing their fear on being dunked on or being blocked. this is perfectly normal thread and an everyday conversation.. with an overly sensitive guy like you trolling..

do you work on PETA? :oldlol:

simcjt
04-17-2010, 05:31 PM
http://i25.tinypic.com/28isphv.jpg

The dude on all the way on the right screaming
"DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN"
Made the picture.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

GOBB
04-17-2010, 06:35 PM
The dude on all the way on the right screaming
"DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN"
Made the picture.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Yeah but there is nothing embarrassing going on in that highlight so why that player is all :eek: out over the dunk? Beyond me. Nothing embarrassing to see here. Move along!

:roll:

Rake2204
04-15-2012, 01:16 PM
I think getting dunked on would be much more embarrassing. Contesting dunks are often high risk/low reward in the embarrassment department. I've had dunks blocked and it barely registers as a blip on the radar in terms of game flow. Similar to when I see other people attempt to dunk and get turned away. It's almost treated no differently than any other type of good block. There's exceptions for major dunk rejections (like the Ginobili/Garnett interaction) but more times than not, the dunk-ons are going to be consistently more noteworthy and thus potentially embarrassing.

TeamLAC
04-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Getting dunked on. It's fxcking humiliating. :oldlol:

zizozain
04-15-2012, 01:35 PM
it takes a man to contest a dunk ..

Getting dunked on is not a big deal .. infact it's a plus for the defender

what's EMBARRASSING is running away scared of getting dunked on

(i'm looking at you lebron and durant)

Rake2204
04-15-2012, 01:51 PM
it takes a man to contest a dunk ..

Getting dunked on is not a big deal .. infact it's a plus for the defender

what's EMBARRASSING is running away scared of getting dunked on

(i'm looking at you lebron and durant)
I have to be real, I never remember the shame brought about to the folks who opt not to contest dunks even though they could. The sad truth is those guys will get a free pass and successfully avoid large-scale embarrassment.

For instance, I think I remember Kevin Durant side-stepping a Blake Griffin dunk he could have at least tried to step in to contest. Blake ended up dunking, Durant wasn't on a poster, and the next play happened. It's tough to say that play must have been more embarrassing for Durant than Kendrick Perkins' play was. I don't think getting the ball rammed down one's throat is a plus for the defender.

This is not to say it doesn't take a man to contest a dunk though. I've said this many times, but I respect the hell out of guys like Alonzo Mourning, Theo Ratliff, and Dikembe Mutombo. Surely, they've been on the receiving end of a large amount of historic facials, but they never stop contesting and they win their fair share of battles. However, the times Deke was able to block Vince Carter's dunks do not stand out in history. It's the time he got slammed on that does.

You can never guarantee who's going to be embarrassed about what but I think there's infinitely more embarrassment potential in getting dunked on than there is for getting a dunk blocked or opting not to contest. I mean, at its essence, embarrassment is not liking how others are probably feeling about you, right? As such, I think more folks are going to raise a fuss about getting dunked on than they would either of the other two scenarios.

Owl
04-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Getting blocked, because you were the favourite, but you failed.

As for if getting dunked on is embarrassing, well guys might use it as motivation and at a gut level you're p/oed, but it's not anything to be ashamed of it might mean you're contesting shots rather than getting out of the way, and if you're constistently avoiding shots that you could/should be contesting then that is genuinely shameful and people should be embarassed about.

ThaRegul8r
04-15-2012, 06:10 PM
I think blocking a dunk is easier than dunking on somebody.

Really?

Hmm.

I have this question to ask, then:

Who in this thread aside from myself has ever actually blocked a dunk while playing basketball? (I could expand it to who on this board has done so, but I'll restrict it to this thread.)

I don't want speculation, I want to know who here has actually played basketball before and actually done both, who are thus be able to speak on which is easier having actually done it.

Ikill
04-15-2012, 06:21 PM
nigguah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JORIVn1cbaE
I ****z wit dat

no pun intended
04-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Getting your dunk blocked. By the rim.

PickernRoller
04-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Getting your Dunk denied....just awful.

Rake2204
04-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Really?

Hmm.

I have this question to ask, then:

Who in this thread aside from myself has ever actually blocked a dunk while playing basketball? (I could expand it to who on this board has done so, but I'll restrict it to this thread.)

I don't want speculation, I want to know who here has actually played basketball before and actually done both, who are thus be able to speak on which is easier having actually done it.
I have done both. In my personal experience, it's been much tougher to block a dunk than it's been to dunk on someone. That's not to say dunking on people is easy but relatively speaking, it's a more common experience for me than blocking a dunk. I can probably count the number of dunks I've blocked on one hand. And to be truthful, I can only remember two dunk blocks that were real deal, rise and meet in the air, heavy ball denial types of rejections. The rest were blocking folks early in their ascent or just barely getting enough of a hand on the ball.

I think a part of the difficulty of blocking a dunk is the uncertainty of it all. More times than not, the defender is not going to be the one in control. It's going to be the dunker attacking full speed, looking to put you through the rim. So in that regard, I find blocking dunks more difficult.

Personally, the idea of getting dunked on is much more potentially embarrassing than getting my dunk blocked. I'd be lying through my teeth if I said I was never conscious of getting dunked on when confronting someone attacking the basket. Meanwhile, it sucks having a dunk blocked, but there seems to be more leeway from the masses in that regard. There's some "ooo's" but a lot of the time, there's at least respect for the offensive player trying to finish hard at the rack. Meanwhile, the effort being turned in by a guy getting railed on often does not seem to get noticed. The only thing that's noticed is that he was just emasculated.

DStebb716
04-15-2012, 08:35 PM

Can't start a discussion thread and then deny one of the options when people answer. :coleman:

FindingTim
04-15-2012, 08:51 PM
as a scrawny, pale white guy, my dunks never get blocked.
so I'll say getting dunked on is worse, because that's all I know.

Kiddlovesnets
04-16-2012, 02:03 AM
Of course the latter. Everyone gets dunked on once in a few games, but having your dunk blocked does not happen frequently.

outbreak
04-16-2012, 02:09 AM
Dunk blocked is worse. Getting dunked on means you at least defended the rim and didn't puss out like half the league does. No easy baskets.
I think it's worse not getting the ball over the rim though, like the big baby dunk from the celtics when he was open but put the ball straight into the ring and missed because he can't jump.

Zach Morris
04-16-2012, 02:31 AM
Getting dunked on is more embarrassing and it's not even close. If you're dunked on it will be remembered and replayed far more often than getting your dunk blocked. We all rememeber Vincent Carter posterizing the Admiral. . .claiming Mt. Mutombo. . . and ABSOLUTELY DESTROYING Timmy D and Zo.

You tell me which is more embarassing: Vince carter getting his dunk blocked by Zo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_daShaMfric

Or Vince Carter dunking on Zo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcU66xdeGck

eazyduzzit10
04-16-2012, 05:45 AM
Embarrassing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SYmae9FhkQ

More embarrassing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svsHlH-IvbY

Most embarrassing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7eH3lh96_s
:no:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKggO62YPs4
:roll:

sipitri
04-16-2012, 06:28 AM
Shy away from a dunk because of the fear of being dunked on, that's embarassing.

Qwertyazerty
04-16-2012, 09:28 AM
If my answer may only refer to your question, clearly getting your dunk blocked should be more embarrassing. You can only get dunked on if you try to block a dunk and I don't see what is wrong with trying. Sometimes you'll succed, sometimes not (normally more often you'll fail), but I've never understand people making fun of someone that's been dunked on.

Meanwhile I agree with people saying that the most embarrassing thing would be not even trying to stop your opponent from dunking. So many players do this and I find them pathetic.

Getting dunked on is more embarrassing and it's not even close. If you're dunked on it will be remembered and replayed far more often than getting your dunk blocked...

Most of people will find more spectacular a dunk than a block.That's why great dunks on good blockers are usually remembered longer than great blocks to good dunkers. But there is a difference betwen something being spectacular and something being embarrassing. There is no shame in trying to stop Vince Carter dunks even though he will beat you 9 out of 10 times.

wally_world
04-16-2012, 09:33 AM
It should be getting your dunk blocked. We need to give those guys that try to defend the dunk, but end up getting dunked on some credit, at least they bothered to defend.

strike
04-16-2012, 09:47 AM
every great defender has been dunked on
every great dunker has had his dunk blocked

DCL
04-16-2012, 09:56 AM
depends on so many variables... like who is dunking or blocking and how big/athletic they are vs. you, and how hard you went up, and if it's from weakside or straight up face-to-face, etc... all play a role in the degree of manhood destruction.

but overall, on average of emotions, getting your dunk blocked is probably more embarrassing. but again, depends on so many other factors. if you're getting dunk blocked by garnett, you can live with that. if you're getting dunk-blocked by a little white boy midget, you lose your man card and have to put a paper bag over your head for a month.

Rake2204
04-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Getting dunked on is more embarrassing and it's not even close. If you're dunked on it will be remembered and replayed far more often than getting your dunk blocked. We all rememeber Vincent Carter posterizing the Admiral. . .claiming Mt. Mutombo. . . and ABSOLUTELY DESTROYING Timmy D and Zo.

You tell me which is more embarassing: Vince carter getting his dunk blocked by Zo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_daShaMfric

Or Vince Carter dunking on Zo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcU66xdeGck
I agree with you here.

I've never been absolutely, positively jammed on in my life, but I do not look forward to the day when it finally happens. That would affect me much more negatively than ever having one of my dunks blocked.

I've seen the argument made that getting one's dunk blocked should be more embarrassing because there's no shame in getting dunked on (because as a defender, at least you tried) but wouldn't that logic hold just as true for someone getting their dunk blocked? As in, why would that be embarrassing, for at least you tried and didn't wuss out and attempt a floater or something. You went hard to the rack and just couldn't finish the deal, similar to a guy getting dunked on going hard at the rim, just getting posterized instead of garnering a block.

I think there's a difference between wishful thinking and how things may actually be. I wish and think getting dunked on shouldn't be so embarrassing, but the overwhelming majority of folks in the game don't seem to agree. There's just much more of everything associated with a monster poster than there is with a blocked dunk. It's similar to how I don't believe someone getting their ankles broken shouldn't be that big of a deal. Yet, it is.

Qwertyazerty
04-16-2012, 11:04 AM
I've seen the argument made that getting one's dunk blocked should be more embarrassing because there's no shame in getting dunked on (because as a defender, at least you tried) but wouldn't that logic hold just as true for someone getting their dunk blocked? As in, why would that be embarrassing, for at least you tried and didn't wuss out and attempt a floater or something.

It is usually harder to block a dunk than dunking on someone and, in addition, when attacking you may choose another way to score rather than dunking. You have many possible ways of scoring, lay ups, floaters, dunks, step back and jump shot... so many different ways of owning your deffender that a block may not only be the result of a good D, it often is the result of a bad offensif option. That's why, IMO, the same logic may not be apply in the other sence.

That being said, embarrassing is very personal so there is not a wrong answer to this question.

Rake2204
04-16-2012, 11:08 AM
That being said, embarrassing is very personal so there is not a wrong answer to this question.
That might be the long and short of it. I suppose it's all about how we let certain plays affect us. And in my case, the idea of getting my dunk blocked is not nearly as humiliating as the idea of getting dunked on. Even at local courts, it's the folks who get dunked on that are remembered, not the folks who have their slams blocked. The first guy I ever dunked on was known as "that guy" for years after the fact.