PDA

View Full Version : You cant punch the ball??

phoenix18
04-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Really?:oldlol:

Wow. That is just asinine.

MK2V1GP
04-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Seriously? That ref is a ****ing moron. Wow. I seriously doubt there's a rule in the rulebook that says "No punch-passing the ball"

WTF

StroShow4
04-20-2010, 10:19 PM
I always knew about that rule, but this is the first time I've ever seen it called.

phoenix18
04-20-2010, 10:20 PM
I always knew about that rule, but this is the first time I've ever seen it called.
Why is it a rule? What's next? No chopping the ball? I am not understanding why its against the rules.

MK2V1GP
So it REALLY is a rule stro? Even Reggie Miller said he was making it up lol.

RealKnowledge
Seriously? That ref is a ****ing moron. Wow. I seriously doubt there's a rule in the rulebook that says "No punch-passing the ball"

WTF
Yeah ref made up a call :rolleyes:
Cause he was feeling like the Ceo
Your a douche
Punching the ball messes up the ball

StroShow4
04-20-2010, 10:21 PM
So it REALLY is a rule stro? Even Reggie Miller said he was making it up lol.

It's a real rule, you can't punch the ball.

MK2V1GP
Your a douche

I'm the douche and I know the difference between "Your" and "You're"? :hammerhead:

Reggie Miller said he made it up too, needledick.

:hammerhead:

phoenix18
Your a douche

So....when a player slaps the shit out of the ball for a block its fine, but when a player punch passes the ball.....all of a sudden we are concerned for the ball's safety?

OnceInADECADE
04-20-2010, 10:22 PM
refs suck

Moan
Your a douche

LOL

nbastatus
You can't punch the ball, it's a rule.

RealKnowledge
04-20-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm the douche and I know the difference between "Your" and "You're"? :hammerhead:

Reggie Miller said he made it up too, needledick.

:hammerhead:
Your a jack ass hahaha
Is that really supposed to be a insult? :oldlol:
Reggie Miller did not say it was made up quit making ish up.
:oldlol: Your a clown for thinking the ref made that up.
He probably wanted to give Miami a chance to come back :oldlol: :oldlol:
Scrub

vert48
04-20-2010, 10:24 PM
It is in the rule book.

phoenix18
You can't punch the ball, it's a rule.
We have come to terms with that, but why? I can b*tchslap it like I'm Chris Brown but no punching? Its not like Allen was punching it out of bounds or at a ref, he was just passing to another player.

Hammertime
Is it that hard to look up the rules before posting?

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_10.html?nav=ArticleList

Section V-Strike the Ball
a. A player shall not kick the ball or strike it with the fist.
b. Kicking the ball or striking it with any part of the leg is a violation when it is an intentional act. The ball accidentally striking the foot, the leg or fist is not a violation.
PENALTY:
(1) If the violation is by the offense, the ball is awarded to the opposing team at the sideline nearest the spot of the violation but no nearer to the base-line than the free throw line extended.
(2) If the violation is by the defense while the ball is in play, the offensive team retains possession of the ball at the sideline nearest the spot of the violation but no nearer the baseline than the foul line extended.
(3) If the violation occurs during a throw-in, the opposing team retains possession at the spot of the original throw-in with all privileges, if any, remaining.

Mikaiel
Yeah it's a real rule. I've seen it called before. Not in an NBA game though.

InspiredLebowski
04-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Maybe they're afraid of the ball going wild and hitting a fan or something? You ever punched a ball? Not exactly accurate.

MK2V1GP
04-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Your a jack ass hahaha
Is that really supposed to be a insult? :oldlol:
Reggie Miller did not say it was made up quit making ish up.
:oldlol: Your a clown for thinking the ref made that up.
He probably wanted to give Miami a chance to come back :oldlol: :oldlol:
Scrub

Wow, you're a complete retard. Its "an insult" and "You're a clown" If you're going to try and make someone look bad, at least do it to where it doesn't make YOU look like an idiot.

And Reggie Miller most certainly did say "The ref's making up rules now" I made that up :ohwell:

MK2V1GP
04-20-2010, 10:26 PM
Well, thats a new one by me. Had no idea that was a rule, but then again, I haven't seen many players in the NBA make a "punch-pass" lol. Apologies to the ref.

phoenix18
04-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Is it that hard not to be a jackass? Yes, I'm talking to you Hammertime.

We already know that punching the ball is against the rules, I just want to know why. Take your condescending and redundant self somewhere else.

Jakeh008
04-20-2010, 10:29 PM
I seen it called in a lakers game before.

The NBA is afraid that player will start throwing punches..miss... and hit another player...

its not that that big a deal... just open your hand

Hammertime
04-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Is it that hard not to be a jackass? Yes, I'm talking to you Hammertime.

We already know that punching the ball is against the rules, I just want to know why. Take your condescending and redundant self somewhere else.

If you don't have enough common sense to figure out why a sport played with your hands open would frown upon a closed fist, you're a moron.

What's next? Why can't I pick up the ball and just toss it over in volleyball?

MK2V1GP
04-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Yeah cause 5 people already posted a source that it is a rule.
Feel stupid now? :oldlol:
This guy is a clown
The refs are making up rules :oldlol: :oldlol:

What a moron.

I already admitted I didn't know it was a rule, I was going off of what I've never seen and what Reggie said (even though listening to Reggie was a mistake in the first place lol). Then I admitted it was wrong and gave my apologies towards the ref.

Get a life, kid.

plowking
04-20-2010, 10:33 PM
I knew you couldn't punch it, though it looked like TA slapped it.

RealKnowledge
04-20-2010, 10:35 PM
What a moron.

I already admitted I didn't know it was a rule, I was going off of what I've never seen and what Reggie said (even though listening to Reggie was a mistake in the first place lol). Then I admitted it was wrong and gave my apologies towards the ref.

Get a life, kid.
Cool,If anyone needs a life its you. Acting like your team was robbed the game because a ref made a call you never heard of or seen so you assume he made it up? Great logic

phoenix18
04-20-2010, 10:37 PM
If you don't have enough common sense to figure out why a sport played with your hands open would frown upon a closed fist, you're a moron.

You're a dumbass. This is the same sport that frowned upon dribbling, the same sport that frowned upon over hand freethrows, behind the back passes, between the legs dribbles, and on and on....

STFU.

The game evolves.

I cant believe people have to act like a douche instead of answering a f*cking simple ass question. Does this boost your self confidence? I'm all for empowering dumbasses.

I cannot fathom why someone would berate people for asking why in a situation like this.

EDIT:The rule is stupid. According to the rules, I can Judo chop the ball without a problem, but a closed fist is a no-no.

MK2V1GP
04-20-2010, 10:38 PM
So much fail from this kid it's kind of sad.

...waits for his next completely immature reply that has no merit whatsoever...

Hammertime
04-20-2010, 10:43 PM
You're a dumbass. This is the same sport that frowned upon dribbling, the same sport that frowned upon over hand freethrows, behind the back passes, between the legs dribbles, and on and on....

Dribbling, overhand freethrows, any sort of passing or dribbling, was never against the NBA rules. Try again, though.

Again, there'd be fewer dumb posts on the forum if people used common sense or Google. Or both.

hayden695
04-20-2010, 10:45 PM
I can see why it is a rule. Though I didn't know it was a rule. It could go anywhere because it isn't exactly accurate. You could miss and hit a player.

Also it can damage the ball, I have been bored at the gym and went to see if I could punch it across the gym and ended up messing the ball up (got a big bubble in it.) Though it isn't like they don't have other balls on hand.

phoenix18
04-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Dribbling, overhand freethrows, any sort of passing or dribbling, was never against the NBA rules. Try again, though.

Again, there'd be fewer dumb posts on the forum if people used common sense or Google. Or both.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Really?

Google the Original 13 rules of basketball. Dribbling was not allowed. STFU. Get out of my thread.

Or, as you eloquently stated,"Is it that hard to look up the rules before posting? "

ProfessorMurder
04-20-2010, 10:52 PM
Phoenix is going hard, just Mutombo'ing all the comebacks :no:

phoenix18
04-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Phoenix is going hard, just Mutombo'ing all the comebacks :no:
Hammertime is just an egotistical douche. He comes in telling me to look at the rule book and all that shit when he doesnt even know the ORIGINAL rules.

Hammertime
04-20-2010, 10:55 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Really?

Google the Original 13 rules of basketball. Dribbling was not allowed. STFU. Get out of my thread.

Or, as you eloquently stated,"Is it that hard to look up the rules before posting? "

NBA rules, you moron. NBA rules. NBA is only 60-odd years old.

dawsey6
04-20-2010, 10:58 PM
So....when a player slaps the shit out of the ball for a block its fine, but when a player punch passes the ball.....all of a sudden we are concerned for the ball's safety?

Actually yes. As hard as you can slap a ball, it won't match the concentrated force you can put behind a punch. I can see why the NBA would just make it illegal altogether.

phoenix18
04-20-2010, 11:01 PM
NBA rules, you moron. NBA rules. NBA is only 60-odd years old.
:oldlol: :oldlol:

Good save!!

No, not really.

Too bad in your earlier post you said " a sport", which is what I countered or else your whole argument is invalid.

STFU.

The game evolves.

I cant believe people have to act like a douche instead of answering a f*cking simple ass question. Does this boost your self confidence? I'm all for empowering dumbasses.

I cannot fathom why someone would berate people for asking why in a situation like this.

EDIT:The rule is stupid. According to the rules, I can Judo chop the ball without a problem, but a closed fist is a no-no.

In your everlasting and kind of pathetic struggle to be right, you have completely changed your argument. See why having a demeaning tone in a light hearted thread makes you look like a BS spewing retard?

Which is it, a sport or NBA? You mentioned both, obviously I was talking about the former, and you conveniently changed it to the latter to save what little face you have left.

hayden695
04-20-2010, 11:03 PM
:oldlol: :oldlol:

Good save!!

No, not really.

Too bad in your earlier post you said " a sport", which is what I countered or else your whole argument is invalid.

In your everlasting and kind of pathetic struggle to be right, you have completely changed your argument. See why having a demeaning tone in a light hearted thread makes you look like a BS spewing retard?

Which is it, a sport or NBA? You mentioned both, obviously I was talking about the former, and you conveniently changed it to the latter to save what little face you have left.
Nice.

Anyways I didn't watch the game, how did the play go about. I assume it would be funny.

phoenix18
04-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Nice.

Anyways I didn't watch the game, how did the play go about. I assume it would be funny.

Just Tony Allen being silly. He tried to punch the ball to another player instead of tapping it. It was pretty nice for a punch pass. I honestly dont remember any other details because TNT stopped broadcasting the game shortly after.

Replay32
04-20-2010, 11:42 PM
No you can't punch the ball. I think it is a good rule.

Crystallas
04-20-2010, 11:45 PM
http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_10.html?nav=ArticleList

Section V, 1st line.

OneMoreSucka
04-20-2010, 11:59 PM
I knew it was a rule. Saw it called once before

vinsane01
04-21-2010, 12:10 AM
They should revise the rule book since elbows could hit someone too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTVhQAbAYmI

Hey its possible. :D

Fuhqueue
04-21-2010, 12:21 AM
We had one incredibly athletic guy on our school team who was so raw when he first started that he could only rebound, and would just leap above everyone and thump the ball downcourt with his fist

Was quite effective at starting a fastbreak :oldlol:

bdreason
04-21-2010, 01:53 AM
You can't punch the ball. It's always been a rule. Even at lower levels or Basketball.

Splitz77
04-21-2010, 01:59 AM
It's a stupid rule. It does not mess up the ball as long as your not actually ****ing hammering the ball. It was a direct pass, so it didn't really need to be called. Either way.. Celtics dominated..

Splitz77
04-21-2010, 02:02 AM
Just Tony Allen being silly. He tried to punch the ball to another player instead of tapping it. It was pretty nice for a punch pass. I honestly dont remember any other details because TNT stopped broadcasting the game shortly after.

That pissed me off. It's like the first time this whole season/post season that the Celtics had a huge lead and were holding on to it, and they quit airing it. I was so ****ing mad. I wanted to watch the whole ****ing game, I enjoy watching my team dominate. TNT is ****ing retarded, a bunch of ****.

Crystallas
04-21-2010, 02:12 AM
It's a stupid rule. It does not mess up the ball as long as your not actually ****ing hammering the ball. It was a direct pass, so it didn't really need to be called. Either way.. Celtics dominated..

If you want to watch ball punching, watch volleyball.
If you want to see balls kicked, watch soccer.
If you want to see ballbusting, wrong site.

Burgz
04-21-2010, 02:16 AM
this isnt just an NBA rule, its a rule on all levels of basketball

you can't punch the ball to pass it or in a loose ball situation

Rake2204
04-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Aside from all the back and forth here, I found parts of this thread to be informative. I did not know punching the ball was against the rules. I can't say I've ever done this with any sort of regularity, but I feel like at least once I've jumped up for a rebound in a crowd of players at some point. . .and punched it just to get it out of that mess of humanity. Yes, normally it'd just be a open-handed tip, but I feel like I just switched it up every now and again just for the sake of it. It's enlightening to know now that is against the rules.

OmniStrife
04-21-2010, 10:36 AM
If you want to watch ball punching, watch volleyball.
If you want to see balls kicked, watch soccer.
If you want to see ballbusting, wrong site.
:applause:

plowking
04-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Sure, you can punch the ball...

It's just a change of possession.

Take Your Lumps
04-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Your a douche

Made me LOL

This reads like the haiku ramblings of a retarded person.

Diesel J
04-21-2010, 01:39 PM
I knew this was a rule too but I've never seen it in an nba game.

niko
04-21-2010, 01:40 PM
You can't punch the ball, i learned that in a high school game where i popped the ball from behind when someone wasnt paying attention and got called for "illegal punching". :no: