PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here wear compression shorts while playing?

Kellogs4toniee
04-23-2010, 12:51 PM
I've been looking at compression shorts the last couple days, after getting knee'd in the thigh during a drive last Sunday.

Main one's I've been looking at are the Nike Pro Basketball Shorts, EastBay Compression Shorts, McDavid Shorts, etc.

Has anyone here used them before, and if so, which exact one and how has it affected your performance? Do you feel it and does it feel heavy when in play? Does it keep your legs / thighs warmed up to pro-long game-play without soreness?

Thanks for any input.

HylianNightmare
04-23-2010, 01:41 PM
I wear the adidas tech fits with the built in padding,
They are a little awkward at first but the extra weight/bulk doesn't bother you after wearing them a while.

The padding helps a little bit, but if you are getting hacked to pieces it won't do that much

50inchvertical
04-23-2010, 01:44 PM
I wear regular ones, never tried the padded ones. I wouldn't say they increase performance necessarily but the compression does help you stay loose and warm longer in the muscles, but most important is to make sure whatever brand you get has some sort of moisture wicking. They even have anti microbial fabrics now that stop you from stinking when you sweat.

phoenix18
04-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Would compression shorts help my quads? Every time I play a game, my left quad is extremely sore afterward.

chazzy
04-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Would compression shorts help my quads? Every time I play a game, my left quad is extremely sore afterward.

Yeah it could help keep it warm.. wouldn't hurt. Do you know why it's only one quad and not the other?

Samurai Swoosh
04-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Frail Canadians ...

:oldlol:

Maybe you have a deep bruise in that muscle in the leg.

All kidding aside though, I haven't worn any of the compression shorts witht he built in pads. It would feel really weird to me. I'm not playing HS football anymore, so what would be the point?

I like feeling sleek on the basketball court, and padding on my thighs beneath my shorts would make me feel awkward. With that said, I do however wear regular compression shorts. Can't have your junk flying around while playing.

Fallguy20
04-23-2010, 03:51 PM
I only started wearing compression shorts my senior year of highschool because our coach had orderd shorts that were pretty much see through. I got em for that but I stayed for the comfort and fit and after that I never looked back.

phoenix18
04-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Yeah it could help keep it warm.. wouldn't hurt. Do you know why it's only one quad and not the other?
No idea. At first its fine and then it hurts like hell the rest of the game. It got to the point where I would jump off my right exclusively.

Frail Canadians ...

:oldlol:

Maybe you have a deep bruise in that muscle in the leg.

All kidding aside though, I haven't worn any of the compression shorts witht he built in pads. It would feel really weird to me. I'm not playing HS football anymore, so what would be the point?

I like feeling sleek on the basketball court, and padding on my thighs beneath my shorts would make me feel awkward. With that said, I do however wear regular compression shorts. Can't have your junk flying around while playing.

You're probably right about the bruise.

I think I'll probably get the ones with padding to avoid bruises like and just for the added sense of security. Does anyone here wear a shooting sleeve? (Dont flame me). I have a cheap one and was wondering what would be the best brand. I should probably go to the store, but the nearest sports store is like 20 miles away from me.

bdreason
04-23-2010, 04:05 PM
I wear the McDavid with pads. Love them.

Myth
04-23-2010, 04:06 PM
I don't wear compression shorts for basketball, but I wore full length compression pants and shirt when I was a sprinter. I felt like it helped me keep my muscles warmer in between races.

Samurai Swoosh
04-23-2010, 04:09 PM
I think I'll probably get the ones with padding to avoid bruises like and just for the added sense of security. Does anyone here wear a shooting sleeve? (Dont flame me). I have a cheap one and was wondering what would be the best brand. I should probably go to the store, but the nearest sports store is like 20 miles away from me.
I see what you did there buddy ...

If you get a sleeve, at least get the ones with the pad built in them from McDavid, I believe.

Myth
04-23-2010, 04:11 PM
I need to get some with kidney padding. I have chronic kidney disease, so its not suppose to be so great getting hit there.

phoenix18
04-23-2010, 04:16 PM
I need to get some with kidney padding. I have chronic kidney disease, so its not suppose to be so great getting hit there.
You will probably have to get the stuff Wade wears.

http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:103157/sku:1786080/McDavid%20Hexpad%20V-Hex%20Body%20Shirt%20-%20Men's?supercat=home&cm=GLOBAL%20SEARCH:%20KEYWORD%20SEARCH

monkeypox
04-23-2010, 04:26 PM
I know this is totally anecdotal, but I'd stay away from McDavid stuff. I've bought two compression sleeves and an achilles brace from them. (The local sporting goods store only carries McDavid, which should be a red flag.) The achilles brace is already falling apart and I had to modify just to work right. The two sleeves are ok but they smell like gasoline and the neoprene seems to be separating on one of them, but it doesn't seem to be affecting the compression at this point. Overall, the next thing I buy is probably not going to be from mcdavid.

Kellogs4toniee
04-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Anybody use the Nike Pro Basketball Compression Shorts? They look pretty sweet, and of course the brand is solid.

Samurai Swoosh
04-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Anybody use the Nike Pro Basketball Compression Shorts? They look pretty sweet, and of course the brand is solid.
I have them but not the ones with the pads. They were on sale at Dick Sports. The ones with pads are pretty expensive, dude.