PDA

View Full Version : Tyreke Evans wins Rookie of Year

TheLogo
04-17-2010, 07:11 PM
April 28 UPDATE:

Evans received 67 first-place votes (491 points) from a panel of 123 sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada. Golden State’s Stephen Curry finished second with 391 points and Milwaukee’s Brandon Jennings finished third with 204 points. Players were awarded five points for each first-place vote, three points for each second-place vote and one point for each third-place vote.

Full voting results here:

http://www.insidehoops.com/nba-rookies.shtml (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/../nba-rookies.shtml)

Derek Zoolander
04-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Bogut took HIS team to the playoffs.

Baby_D
04-17-2010, 07:18 PM

This.

I know you're saying that because the Bucs are in the playoffs Jennings should get the nod for ROY. But in my opinion he and his lousy FG percentage were carried to the playoffs by his teammates, especially Bogut. It is between two guys who have already headed home for the season - evans and curry

joyner82
04-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Jennings shot 35% from the field and averaged 12 ppg over the last 55 games of the season. ROFL @ ROTY

Showtime
04-17-2010, 10:22 PM
I don't think it's fair just to hand the award to Evans because Jennings took his team to the playoffs and dominating.

I believe he is the real ROTY!

:bowdown:
Jennings didn't "take" his team to the playoffs. Skiles, Bogut, and Salmons had a LOT to do with it, and if you replaced him with Curry or Evans, the Bucks would still be a playoff team.

Anybody who thinks BJ could take the warriors or kings to the playoffs, and that curry or evans would lead this buck team to the lottery are on something.

ILLsmak
04-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Jennings didn't "take" his team to the playoffs. Skiles, Bogut, and Salmons had a LOT to do with it, and if you replaced him with Curry or Evans, the Bucks would still be a playoff team.

Anybody who thinks BJ could take the warriors or kings to the playoffs, and that curry or evans would lead this buck team to the lottery are on something.

Well, since the lottery means not making the playoffs, I'd say that with Evans or curry they would have. Hard to imagine that those guys would fit on the Bucks. It's not all about stats...

It's easier to make shots when you are on a losing team... it's like every game is practice, but when everything you do matters, it can lead even a decent shooter to shooting under 40%.

You're right, though, he wouldn't have lead the Kings or Warriors to the playoffs. LBJ probably couldn't have done that.

-Smak

Batz
04-17-2010, 11:45 PM
:applause: :rockon: :cheers:

Showtime
04-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Well, since the lottery means not making the playoffs, I'd say that with Evans or curry they would have. Hard to imagine that those guys would fit on the Bucks. It's not all about stats...

WTF? How could Curry and Evans NOT do what BJ did? Please explain.

It's easier to make shots when you are on a losing team... it's like every game is practice, but when everything you do matters, it can lead even a decent shooter to shooting under 40%.

This is a very stupid comment. Every game is like practice? You do realize that the kings and warriors actually tried to WIN some games, right? And that Evans was often the only legit scorer who could create on his own? And that teams would gameplan against him and put the team's best individual defender on him, right? He had to face guys like Kobe, Artest, Thabo, Battier, etc despite playing a lot of minutes at PG, because teams tried to stop him. And, he often guarded the best perimeter player on the other end.

You are crazy if you think that because they lost games that it was just chucking at practice.

ILLsmak
04-17-2010, 11:55 PM

This is a very stupid comment. Every game is like practice? You do realize that the kings and warriors actually tried to WIN some games, right? And that Evans was often the only legit scorer who could create on his own? And that teams would gameplan against him and put the team's best individual defender on him, right? He had to face guys like Kobe, Artest, Thabo, Battier, etc despite playing a lot of minutes at PG, because teams tried to stop him. And, he often guarded the best perimeter player on the other end.

You are crazy if you think that because they lost games that it was just chucking at practice.

And he lost almost every one of those games, despite his stats or highlight plays.

If you watched the Bucks, you'd know that Jennings doesn't have the ball in his hands as much as Tyreke. Tyreke's ball domination would be a huge minus when it comes to the Bucks. And they could either put him at PG and let him drive every time while spacing the floor with shooters (the best possible strategy, IMO) or run him at the SG like they do in Sac town. The problem then is that they lose a shooter and space for Bogut.

The Bucks' have a very fluid offense with a lot of movement, the only player that really stops the ball is Salmons. If Kmart couldn't be effective playing with Tyreke, it's hard to see how Salmons could. It's still up in the air whether or not Tyreke would defer in the way a point guard should... or if he would get the ball to Bogut.

Tyreke is a very talented player, but don't just assume because he's on a team that they would be better. I'd say Curry has more potential to fit into the Bucks' system, but I am not sure if I buy that, either.

Despite what people say by looking at stats... BJ is a pure PG who is really great at pushing the ball and making the right pass. And the shots he bricks are usually open. Not that it makes it any better, but he's just had a bad shooting year. He's not a bad shooter or a bad shot taker. He is the type of guy you'd want running your offense.

wait a few years, you'll see what I mean. I wish Bogut had stayed healthy so you could really see the Bucks. They probably would have been the (edit) three seed, too. Say what you want about Bogut being good and Salmons being good and everyone fitting into their role and playing good D, but Jennings came in and ran the PG like a pro. That, to me, is much greater than scoring 20 ppg on a 25 win team. TWENTY FIVE WINS...

-Smak

Lemon
04-18-2010, 12:04 AM
I don't think it's fair just to hand the award to Evans because Jennings took his team to the playoffs and dominating.

and you are a retard. congrats :applause:

Showtime
04-18-2010, 12:12 AM
And he lost almost every one of those games, despite his stats or highlight plays.

Evans had multiple game winning plays, as well as a 35 point second half comeback in chicago. Without Martin's drama, the kings weren't that bad. With Martin, they only won 2 games.

If you watched the Bucks, you'd know that Jennings doesn't have the ball in his hands as much as Tyreke. Tyreke's ball domination would be a huge minus when it comes to the Bucks. And they could either put him at PG and let him drive every time while spacing the floor with shooters (the best possible strategy, IMO) or run him at the SG like they do in Sac town. The problem then is that they lose a shooter and space for Bogut.

You are assuming Evans would dominate the basketball with the bucks, which isn't the case. If he has a legit post option in Bogut (like he did with Landry after the trade), he has no problem giving up the ball. BJ averaged 5.7 dimes while Evans had 5.8 while splitting minutes at point. And he might have had more if his teammates could hit outside shots. It's a myth that Evans can't distribute.

The Bucks' have a very fluid offense with a lot of movement, the only player that really stops the ball is Salmons. If Kmart couldn't be effective playing with Tyreke, it's hard to see how Salmons could. It's still up in the air whether or not Tyreke would defer in the way a point guard should... or if he would get the ball to Bogut.

And as for Curry? Are you seriously saying he isn't a playmaker?

[quote]Tyreke is a very talented player, but don't just assume because he's on a team that they would be better.

I didn't say the bucks would be better. I said with Evans or Curry, the bucks would still be a playoff team. What made them successful wasn't mainly BJ. It was a combination of factors with their rookie point guard being one of them, and Evans and Curry could make the same impact at least. Hell, there was a time Luke was the best PG on the team.

Despite what people say by looking at stats... BJ is a pure PG who is really great at pushing the ball and making the right pass. And the shots he bricks are usually open. Not that it makes it any better, but he's just had a bad shooting year. He's not a bad shooter or a bad shot taker. He is the type of guy you'd want running your offense.

You just said he misses open shots, but he's not a bad shooter. That's exactly what an inconsistent shooter does: they are inconsistent. I don't see how being a more consistent and efficient scorer is a negative in Curry and Evans. It seems you want to penalize them for that.

wait a few years, you'll see what I mean.

We are having a discussion about THIS SEASON'S ROY award, not about how a guy will develop in a few years.

but Jennings came in and ran the PG like a pro. That, to me, is much greater than scoring 20 ppg on a 25 win team. TWENTY FIVE WINS...

-Smak
And Evans and Curry came in and did the same. Why do you look at the record and assume those guys didn't? They stepped up, and could do the job with the bucks.

Hell, I think Collison could do what BJ did with the bucks.

Collison's post AS numbers:

19 PPG, 9 AST, 3 REB

EroticVanilla
04-18-2010, 12:29 AM

I think smak was saying that Tyreke or Curry wouldn't fit stylistically on the Bucks, I'm not saying I agree, but it's possible. Just because someone is a better player doesn't make them a better fit.

And about the practice thing, when most teams played the Warriors or Kings I doubt they put too much effort into defending Tyreke or Curry, compared to what they were doing against players who were on playoff teams (like Jennings). Again I'm just trying to explain what Smak meant so it's just a guess.

LA_Showtime
04-18-2010, 01:03 AM
Nah, he isn't. He doesn't have better numbers than Evans or Curry. He also has a big mouth, which probably doesn't help his case.

I do, however, think Jennings is the only guy of the three who's learning what it actually takes to win in the NBA. Skiles is doing a great job teaching Jennings how to run an offense, play defense, all while showcasing his own abilities. If you had to put one of the three on a winning team right now, only Jennings would thrive.

dawsey6
04-18-2010, 01:04 AM
Jennings didn't take his team to the playoffs. Bogut did. BJ was an key player on a playoff team, but not the one who lead them there.

Hell, with this kind of logic for ROY, Darko Milicic deserved it over Lebron James because he was on the championship team instead of the lottery team.

I mean really, I really believe in Jennings as a player, but if you watch these Bucks games, you know who's leading that team. On the other hand, the Kings didn't fall into the lottery because of Evans. They fell into the lottery because their team is bad. A top draft is most likely inherits a bad team. That's just the way it is. This should be basic sports knowledge.

LA_Showtime
04-18-2010, 01:07 AM
Jennings didn't take his team to the playoffs. Bogut did. BJ was an key player on a playoff team, but not the one who lead them there.

Hell, with this kind of logic for ROY, Darko Milicic deserved it over Lebron James because he was on the championship team instead of the lottery team.

I mean really, I really believe in Jennings as a player, but if you watch these Bucks games, you know who's leading that team. On the other hand, the Kings didn't fall into the lottery because of Evans. They fell into the lottery because their team is bad. A top draft is most likely inherits a bad team. That's just the way it is. This should be basic sports knowledge.

Yeah, Bogut was the better player, but Jennings played a huge rule in the Bucks year. He did a great job managing the team. He's learning how to win.

The Kings fell into the lottery because they suck. Evans had a good year, but I'm still not convinced he's a winner. The guy monopolizes the basketball.

Jumpman10135
04-18-2010, 01:14 AM
55 says hi, But then you say "That was just one game." But the matter of the fact was that that game was probably motavaited the whole team. And plus, He is starting in the playoffs as a rookie. That dosnt happen everyday

MiltownMadness
04-18-2010, 01:15 AM
Nah, he isn't. He doesn't have better numbers than Evans or Curry. He also has a big mouth, which probably doesn't help his case.

I do, however, think Jennings is the only guy of the three who's learning what it actually takes to win in the NBA. Skiles is doing a great job teaching Jennings how to run an offense, play defense, all while showcasing his own abilities. If you had to put one of the three on a winning team right now, only Jennings would thrive.
Watching him run a offense is pretty fun to watch, he has such an influence on the offenseive aspect of the game, and does a good job at it.

His shot will greatly improve and he will obviously improve as a player.

Not to mention, Bogut was so good at offense this season because the Bucks finally got a good offense running PG.

1.Tyreke
2.Baddy Chuck
3.Stephen Curry.

ZenMaster
04-18-2010, 01:20 AM
Yeah, Bogut was the better player, but Jennings played a huge rule in the Bucks year. He did a great job managing the team. He's learning how to win.

The Kings fell into the lottery because they suck. Evans had a good year, but I'm still not convinced he's a winner. The guy monopolizes the basketball.

And shoots the most layups in the league, which is amazing and shouldn't be possible for a rookie. Shouldn't be over looked, and with him getting ROY it isn't.

dawsey6
04-18-2010, 01:44 AM

That's the thing. Jennings just happens to be a role player on a playoff team. He also has been extremely inconsistent even compared to fellow rook-PG Stephen Curry, who's arguably hasn't performed as well this season as Evans. Jennings is fortunate to be on a team that now has enough experience, and a lot of weaponry to become a perennial playoff team. Kings just aren't there, but Tyreke Evans had more than just a good year. He had a great rookie year. He showed to be the most capable rookie throughout the season. Whether that transcends to best career out of the class remains to be seen, but this year, he's deserves the ROY.

Don't get me wrong. Jennings is actually my personal favorite out of the rookies this year. I really look forward to how he develops, but I believe Evans had the best rookie campaign. Furthermore, at risk or sounding cheesy, I believe Jennings, Evans, and Curry all had different and valuable lessons in winning. Jennings obviously is performing good in the playoffs, but Evans has had some heroics in the season, notably leading the Kings back from 35 down against the Bulls mid-season. While my rookie rankings don't necessarily reflect how I think these players will develop in their careers, I find it hard to argue against what Evans has done this season for ROY.

lxlHoTsAuSelxl
04-18-2010, 03:53 AM
Jennings was playing great for the first few weeks when the season started, after that he's been putting up stats like 4-15, 6-20, 3-12fgm type of stats. Sorry but Bogut has been the clear winner why the Bucks are in the playoffs.

Hotlantadude81
04-18-2010, 04:00 AM

37% FG

Hotlantadude81
04-18-2010, 04:04 AM
55 says hi, But then you say "That was just one game." But the matter of the fact was that that game was probably motavaited the whole team. And plus, He is starting in the playoffs as a rookie. That dosnt happen everyday

Tony Delk had a 50 point game. Who gives a shyt?

Brunch@Five
04-18-2010, 04:09 AM
Bogut clearly was the Bucks most important player in the regular season.

yeaaaman
04-18-2010, 04:25 AM

Why do people use ridiculous compariosons to try and make their point valid? You sound like the people who try and say rings don't matter, and because Horry has 7 rings he's better than Karl Malone. Do you honestly believe comparing Darko Milicic to Lebron in terms of ROY is the same as comparing Jennings to Evans or Curry? If you do I just know from here on out to never respond/read/take any of your posts seriously, and hopefully everyone else can do the same.

yeaaaman
04-18-2010, 04:30 AM
Tony Delk had a 50 point game. Who gives a shyt?

Tony Delk has probably never in his career been as important to a team as Jennings has been as a rookie. I don't see the valid comparison.

TheLogo
04-18-2010, 04:34 AM
Jennings is still the real ROTY.

Evans didn't do more for his team as Jennings did for his. BJ ran the offense perfectly while Evans and Curry didn't make that big of an impact on their team, besides highlights and stats.

My trained eyes says Jennings is ROTY when I watch him play, the box score reading eyes say Evans.

adamcz
04-18-2010, 06:34 AM
If the players around Jennings are so good, why didn't any of you bet a few thousand dollars that the Bucks would win at least 27 games this year? That was the line in Vegas, and Bogut was a known commodity when it was made.

Real Men Wear Green
04-18-2010, 06:39 AM
Whatever happened to Michael Redd?

Kiddlovesnets
04-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Well he shot 30% from the field...

LJJ
04-18-2010, 08:51 AM
If the players around Jennings are so good, why didn't any of you bet a few thousand dollars that the Bucks would win at least 27 games this year? That was the line in Vegas, and Bogut was a known commodity when it was made.

Nobody expected Bogut to improve this much.

King Lebron LBJ
04-18-2010, 09:38 AM

Look who Jennings has as his team-mates. Evans is the clear better player.

ILLsmak
04-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Evans had multiple game winning plays, as well as a 35 point second half comeback in chicago. Without Martin's drama, the kings weren't that bad. With Martin, they only won 2 games.

You are assuming Evans would dominate the basketball with the bucks, which isn't the case. If he has a legit post option in Bogut (like he did with Landry after the trade), he has no problem giving up the ball. BJ averaged 5.7 dimes while Evans had 5.8 while splitting minutes at point. And he might have had more if his teammates could hit outside shots. It's a myth that Evans can't distribute.

[quote]The Bucks' have a very fluid offense with a lot of movement, the only player that really stops the ball is Salmons. If Kmart couldn't be effective playing with Tyreke, it's hard to see how Salmons could. It's still up in the air whether or not Tyreke would defer in the way a point guard should... or if he would get the ball to Bogut.

And as for Curry? Are you seriously saying he isn't a playmaker?

I didn't say the bucks would be better. I said with Evans or Curry, the bucks would still be a playoff team. What made them successful wasn't mainly BJ. It was a combination of factors with their rookie point guard being one of them, and Evans and Curry could make the same impact at least. Hell, there was a time Luke was the best PG on the team.

You just said he misses open shots, but he's not a bad shooter. That's exactly what an inconsistent shooter does: they are inconsistent. I don't see how being a more consistent and efficient scorer is a negative in Curry and Evans. It seems you want to penalize them for that.

We are having a discussion about THIS SEASON'S ROY award, not about how a guy will develop in a few years.

And Evans and Curry came in and did the same. Why do you look at the record and assume those guys didn't? They stepped up, and could do the job with the bucks.

Hell, I think Collison could do what BJ did with the bucks.

Collison's post AS numbers:

19 PPG, 9 AST, 3 REB

So then BJ is first for rookie of the year and Collison is second? lol...

Do you really think he's a bad shooter? This kid on the Illini, the guy in my avatar, is a great shooter, but it's his freshman season and he came in and after starting off hot, he bricked the whole rest of the year. Threw up air balls... etc... Remember how many air balls Kobe threw up?

Jennings is a good shooter he just had a bad season shooting. I like Jennings because I understand his mind state. He runs the point like I do. A lot of people think it's bad, but I think it's good... you gotta make the defense respect you by shooting and you have to find your shot. As I have said in other threads, I believe the reason rookies usually struggle from the field is they shoot more than vets to find their shot. Where as vets have more experience to get off early, you know? So, if Brandon JEnnings goes 4-14 but 8 of those misses were in the first half, and he makes clutch shots down the stretch it's not really as bad as you think. Try to think outside the box a bit.

Jennings had two of his best games against Tyreke's team and Curry's team. I think that when he is allowed to, he can score just as well as they can. But he's actually trying to run the point.

As LA said, Jennings is the only one that seems to be learning how to WIN and yes that is something that has to be learned... plenty of players put up good stats on bad teams... you can assume that they would do well if they went to another team, but we KNOW that Jennings played well for the Bucks.

He did get benched when Ridnour was wet or when Jennings was just playing stupid, but I don't really hold that against him. One could also say that Coach Skiles has BJ on a tighter chain.

I'm not saying he should win it, but it's not laughable. He's come up big... if you don't include him in the discussion, that's kind of hateful.

-Smak

artest 93
04-18-2010, 11:19 AM
:lol If a player can shoot 37% from the field and make the playoffs, I'm sure he isn't the most valuable player on his team. The Bucks made the playoffs inspite of Jennings.

Like many have said, Bogut has improved tremendously and if it weren't for a few others, would have been a great choice for most improved player of the year. And then there's the trade for John Salmons. It was mentioned during the game that since acquiring Salmons, the bucks had one of the better records for the second half of the seasons.

Jennings is the playmaker, which is an important role, but that is all. He is far from the most valuable player on his team. I'd like to see him sit 10 games next season and watch Salmon/Bogut and others play. I doubt we'd see anything less than 5-5 in that span, especially if the schedule is fair.

branslowski
04-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Imagine if I scored 55pts in a game....

I think I would get to have a threesome with Scarlett Johanson and Megan Foxx everynight for a year straight..:rockon:

mrhoopfan
04-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Jennings was playing great for the first few weeks when the season started, after that he's been putting up stats like 4-15, 6-20, 3-12fgm type of stats. Sorry but Bogut has been the clear winner why the Bucks are in the playoffs.

Not so fast.............the addition of John Salmons/ subtraction of Mike redd is reason 1B

ChuckOakley
04-18-2010, 12:51 PM

Bogut didn't improve much, he simply stayed on the court and avoided injury (until the end of the season) and was consistent, but he's been nearly this good for a few years now, people just don't watch the Bucks nor payed attention since Milwaukee was never that good.

Meanwhile the Bucks..
1. Were predicted to be in the cellar league wide
2. Lost Redd most the season
3. Traded RJ for next to nothing
4. Let CV walk
5. Let Sessions walk, and claimed in the pre-season their PG rotation was going to be better than last season's with just Jennings and Ridnour
6. Got nothing from last year's lotto pick (Alexander)

Unfortunately for Jennings, ROY is not like MVP where team success trumps everything. If it were MVP, then he should win out of Curry, Evans and Jennings, but the actual ROY award is based mostly of personal achievement, and thus Evans deserves it.

1manfastbreak
04-18-2010, 01:30 PM
if curry or evans were on the Bucks, they probably would of won over 50 games

Rekindled
04-18-2010, 01:32 PM
if curry or evans were on the Bucks, they probably would of won over 50 games

if jennings was on the kings, they would have made it to WCF

Meticode
04-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Jennings is the offensive fire power.
No doubt Jenninings had an awesome game in his first playoff game, but he wasn't an offensive power during the regular considering Bogut averaged slightly more points per game in slightly less minutes played.

I'm not here saying that Jennings isn't going to be a great player. I certainly think he's probably going to be around a top 5 guard in the league eventually or at least top 10, but he's far from their offensive power house when he shot a better percentage from three this season (37.4%) than he did from the field overall (37.1%) for the regular season.

This whole post I made could all be in vain if you were just talking about that one playoff game and nothing else.

Meticode
04-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Bogut didn't improve much, he simply stayed on the court and avoided injury (until the end of the season) and was consistent, but he's been nearly this good for a few years now, people just don't watch the Bucks nor payed attention since Milwaukee was never that good.

Meanwhile the Bucks..
4. Let CV walk
5. Let Sessions walk, and claimed in the pre-season their PG rotation was going to be better than last season's with just Jennings and Ridnour

Unfortunately for Jennings, ROY is not like MVP where team success trumps everything. If it were MVP, then he should win out of Curry, Evans and Jennings, but the actual ROY award is based mostly of personal achievement, and thus Evans deserves it.

This is the best thing that happened to the team this season, and to me frankly is the main reason they were successful.

Showtime
04-18-2010, 01:51 PM
So then BJ is first for rookie of the year and Collison is second? lol...

No, idiot. My point is that you are overstating BJ's impact on the bucks, an impact that several other rookies could also make. Impact is all you have, because if not for the bucks record, there is literally NOTHING else that can be said to say BJ deserves the award over players with superior production and efficiency. Problem is, as I said, his impact is being overstated for exactly that reason. Put Evans, Curry, or even Collison at point, and they at least do the same or better as BJ.

Do you really think he's a bad shooter? This kid on the Illini, the guy in my avatar, is a great shooter, but it's his freshman season and he came in and after starting off hot, he bricked the whole rest of the year. Threw up air balls... etc... Remember how many air balls Kobe threw up?

I said he's an inconsistent shooter, and that other players have been more efficient and consistent scorers. I don't really get your point. It seems you just want to make excuses for BJ while penalize Curry and Evans for being better statistically.

Jennings is a good shooter he just had a bad season shooting. I like Jennings because I understand his mind state. He runs the point like I do. A lot of people think it's bad, but I think it's good... you gotta make the defense respect you by shooting and you have to find your shot. As I have said in other threads, I believe the reason rookies usually struggle from the field is they shoot more than vets to find their shot. Where as vets have more experience to get off early, you know? So, if Brandon JEnnings goes 4-14 but 8 of those misses were in the first half, and he makes clutch shots down the stretch it's not really as bad as you think. Try to think outside the box a bit.

So your point is that making baskets is irrelevant. What really matters is that he's taking shots. Yeah, ok.

Jennings had two of his best games against Tyreke's team and Curry's team. I think that when he is allowed to, he can score just as well as they can. But he's actually trying to run the point.

And you are implying that the other rookies don't run point. This is what I've been trying to say: BJ is literally doing NOTHING on the court that other players couldn't step right in and do at least as well. You say BJ runs point well. Ok, well there are at least 3 other rookie guards who do the same. So how are you making a point about him being more deserving?

As LA said, Jennings is the only one that seems to be learning how to WIN and yes that is something that has to be learned... plenty of players put up good stats on bad teams... you can assume that they would do well if they went to another team, but we KNOW that Jennings played well for the Bucks.

And that just shows your ignorance, because Evans and Collison were WINNING GAMES and keeping their team competitive when they really shouldn't have been that early on. To think those players couldn't win on better teams in a softer conference is something that hasn't been explained.

He did get benched when Ridnour was wet or when Jennings was just playing stupid, but I don't really hold that against him. One could also say that Coach Skiles has BJ on a tighter chain.

Exactly. Skiles whipped his team into shape. He's a big reason why the bucks were as good as they were, and to think that an experienced guard like Collison, or a high IQ player like Curry, or an overall talent like Tyreke couldn't perform at least as well as BJ under Skiles is MORONIC logic.

I'm not saying he should win it, but it's not laughable. He's come up big... if you don't include him in the discussion, that's kind of hateful.

-Smak
There is literally nothing that BJ has on his side, other than the TEAM's record, to put him in the discussion. And because of that fact, all his supporters have to argue with is impact on his team, and since that is their last rung, they cling to it and overrate it. The problem BJ has is that there are at least 3 other rookie guards who could do what he did, and nothing he has done sets him apart. Other players have been more productive, more efficient, and could win in his situation. If the kings or warriors drafted BJ, this wouldn't even be a discussion. We would be handing the award to Evans or Curry and watching them play in the playoffs right now.

ChuckOakley
04-18-2010, 01:51 PM
This is the best thing that happened to the team this season, and to me frankly is the main reason they were successful.
Redd played 33 games last year compared to 18 this year. The team was no better then because of his injury.

Again..

Sessions / Ridnour
Bell / Bogans / Redd
Jefferson / LRMM
Villanueva / Allen
Bogut / Gadzuric

Won 34 games

Jennings / Ridnour
Salmons* / Delfino / Redd
LRMM / Stackhouse
Ilyasova / K.Thomas
Bogut / Gadzuric

Won 46 games

The single biggest difference I see is the PG position, yet I would say last season's team in easily more talented.

Showtime
04-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Redd played 33 games last year compared to 18 this year. The team was no better then because of his injury.

Again..

Sessions / Ridnour
Bell / Bogans / Redd
Jefferson / LRMM
Villanueva / Allen
Bogut / Gadzuric

Won 34 games

Jennings / Ridnour
LRMM / Stackhouse
Ilyasova / K.Thomas
Bogut / Gadzuric

Won 46 games

The single biggest difference I see is the PG position, yet I would say last season's team in easily more talented.
Coaching, and Bogut improved. He really has made an impact down low, and I was really surprised with the development of his post game. People were ready to write him off, but he turned things around and deserves credit for doing so.

Meticode
04-18-2010, 01:57 PM

Again..

Sessions / Ridnour
Bell / Bogans / Redd
Jefferson / LRMM
Villanueva / Allen
Bogut / Gadzuric

Won 34 games

Jennings / Ridnour
LRMM / Stackhouse
Ilyasova / K.Thomas
Bogut / Gadzuric

Won 46 games

Since last year I felt Redd was hurting the team, I still feel they were better without him and that was the biggest reason.

ChuckOakley
04-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Coaching, and Bogut improved. He really has made an impact down low, and I was really surprised with the development of his post game. People were ready to write him off, but he turned things around and deserves credit for doing so.

They had the same coach (Skiles) both seasons.

Also, I wrote this earlier if you care to address these points:

Meanwhile the Bucks..
4. Let CV walk

Meticode
04-18-2010, 02:00 PM
This season in the games he played in the Bucks were 6-11.

Meticode
04-18-2010, 02:02 PM
They had the same coach (Skiles) both seasons.

Also, I wrote this earlier if you care to address these points:

Meanwhile the Bucks..
4. Let CV walk

He's improved a lot this season, and the not watching the Bucks doesn't work for me since I live in Wisconsin the last almost 6 years. Being consistent is a big part of improvement. Imagine if J.R. ****in' Smith was consistent, he would be a borderline star probably if he got regular starting minutes. Consistency is a huge improvement.

ChuckOakley
04-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Again, I don't think BJ is ROY, but people want to treat this award like it is MVP, which it is not. Jennings should win an MVP of rookies , but not ROY since ROY is individual success dominated, while MVP is team success dominated.

I will say however, that alot of posters (mostly Evans, Curry and WC fans) seemingly want to discredit BJ's accomplishments with hypotheticals that they treat as truth (ex. Curry or Evans would do better than Jennings on the Bucks). I don't think it's that clear cut and easy to do.

ChuckOakley
04-18-2010, 02:07 PM
He's improved a lot this season, and the not watching the Bucks doesn't work for me since I live in Wisconsin the last almost 6 years. Being consistent is a big part of improvement. Imagine if J.R. ****in' Smith was consistent, he would be a borderline star probably if he got regular starting minutes. Consistency is a huge improvement.

I see your point. I also think health and consistency are interwoven, and that his health allowed him to be consistent, but he hasn't necessarily become more skilled or better at anything in particular on the court.

But even if people assumed Bogut would be healthy, they still didn't see the same type of success for the Bucks. IMO, a healthy Bogut has been one of the top centers in the league for a couple years now... I don't really see who is competition has been either.

Meticode
04-18-2010, 02:12 PM
I see your point. I also think health and consistency are interwoven, and that his health allowed him to be consistent, but he hasn't necessarily become more skilled or better at anything in particular on the court.

But even if people assumed Bogut would be healthy, they still didn't see the same type of success for the Bucks. IMO, a healthy Bogut has been one of the top centers in the league for a couple years now... I don't really see who is competition has been either.

Health is very true on that aspect, but two seasons ago he played more games and more minutes and averaged less in points and blocks and field goal percentage and rebounds and free throw percentage than last season. Although it's a moot point for me to bring up 2 years ago when that was only his third full season.

I definitely do feel he became a better defender above everything else. And while I hate to spit out numbers all the time he did average 2.5 blocks per game this year when before than he averaged .8, .5, 1.7 and last year at 1.0. Skiles is a good defensive coach, and Bogut was the main anchor of that paint defense to me

ChuckOakley
04-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Health is very true on that aspect, but two seasons ago he played more games and more minutes and averaged less in points and blocks and field goal percentage and rebounds and free throw percentage than last season. Although it's a moot point for me to bring up 2 years ago when that was only his third full season.

I definitely do feel he became a better defender above everything else. And while I hate to spit out numbers all the time he did average 2.5 blocks per game this year when before than he averaged .8, .5, 1.7 and last year at 1.0. Skiles is a good defensive coach, and Bogut was the main anchor of that paint defense to me

Yes, defensively he did become more assertive. I think Jennings on court leadership and chemistry with Bogut helped in that regard as well. I think Jennings leadership ability as a rookie is being overlooked. I actually like the way this kid has carried himself on and off the court. Outspoken at times, but that's cool by me. More teams could use that.

Also...
I see Bogut missed 13 games this season.
Any idea their record in games he missed?
Just curious..
I know they went 5-2 from the Phoenix game in which he got injured.

Meticode
04-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Yes, defensively he did become more assertive. I think Jennings on court leadership and chemistry with Bogut helped in that regard as well. I think Jennings leadership ability as a rookie is being overlooked. I actually like the way this kid has carried himself on and off the court. Outspoken at times, but that's cool by me. More teams could use that.

Also...
I see Bogut missed 13 games this season.
Any idea their record in games he missed?
Just curious..
I know they went 5-2 from the Phoenix game in which he got injured.

7-7

Edit: 6-7 counted an extra win he played in.

ILLsmak
04-18-2010, 02:24 PM
No, idiot. My point is that you are overstating BJ's impact on the bucks, an impact that several other rookies could also make. Impact is all you have, because if not for the bucks record, there is literally NOTHING else that can be said to say BJ deserves the award over players with superior production and efficiency. Problem is, as I said, his impact is being overstated for exactly that reason. Put Evans, Curry, or even Collison at point, and they at least do the same or better as BJ.

I said he's an inconsistent shooter, and that other players have been more efficient and consistent scorers. I don't really get your point. It seems you just want to make excuses for BJ while penalize Curry and Evans for being better statistically.

So your point is that making baskets is irrelevant. What really matters is that he's taking shots. Yeah, ok.

And you are implying that the other rookies don't run point. This is what I've been trying to say: BJ is literally doing NOTHING on the court that other players couldn't step right in and do at least as well. You say BJ runs point well. Ok, well there are at least 3 other rookie guards who do the same. So how are you making a point about him being more deserving?

And that just shows your ignorance, because Evans and Collison were WINNING GAMES and keeping their team competitive when they really shouldn't have been that early on. To think those players couldn't win on better teams in a softer conference is something that hasn't been explained.

Exactly. Skiles whipped his team into shape. He's a big reason why the bucks were as good as they were, and to think that an experienced guard like Collison, or a high IQ player like Curry, or an overall talent like Tyreke couldn't perform at least as well as BJ under Skiles is MORONIC logic.

There is literally nothing that BJ has on his side, other than the TEAM's record, to put him in the discussion. And because of that fact, all his supporters have to argue with is impact on his team, and since that is their last rung, they cling to it and overrate it. The problem BJ has is that there are at least 3 other rookie guards who could do what he did, and nothing he has done sets him apart. Other players have been more productive, more efficient, and could win in his situation. If the kings or warriors drafted BJ, this wouldn't even be a discussion. We would be handing the award to Evans or Curry and watching them play in the playoffs right now.

Don't confuse what might happen with what did happen...

Why are you angry, anyway? Calling names and all that...

I've said my piece. Sorry that we disagree.

-Smak

dawsey6
04-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Why do people use ridiculous compariosons to try and make their point valid? You sound like the people who try and say rings don't matter, and because Horry has 7 rings he's better than Karl Malone. Do you honestly believe comparing Darko Milicic to Lebron in terms of ROY is the same as comparing Jennings to Evans or Curry? If you do I just know from here on out to never respond/read/take any of your posts seriously, and hopefully everyone else can do the same.

Way to take what I said out of context. My point is that BJ's impact on the Bucks shouldn't be overstated. Maybe if you read the rest of the post, along with my next post, instead of jumping to conclusions, you'd get that.

Showtime
04-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Don't confuse what might happen with what did happen...

I'm not. What happened was that BJ didn't have the best season out of all rookies.

Why are you angry, anyway? Calling names and all that...

Because you were either being a smart ass with that collison comment, or incredibly lacking in reading comprehension.

I've said my piece. Sorry that we disagree.

-Smak
And too bad it's such a poor argument. I was hoping for somebody to actually give me legit arguments, but it looks like that isn't going to happen.

adamcz
04-18-2010, 05:00 PM
So Bogut's improvement was worth 20 extra wins? He should be top-5 in MVP voting if that's true.

Diesel J
04-27-2010, 02:02 AM
Bucks have tied the series 2-2 vs a superior Hawks team even w/o Bogat. Jennings has to get alot of credit for this:applause:

Kiddlovesnets
04-27-2010, 01:13 PM
umm you mean the guy who'd been shooting less than 30% for two consecutive months in January and February?
:oldlol:

OneMoreSucka
04-27-2010, 01:14 PM
If Jennings wins ROTY I will leave ISH forever.

Showtime
04-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Once again, let's ignore Salmons. And the fact that the hawks have trouble performing on the road. And that Curry or Evans could bend over Bibby and make him squeel.

Bigsmoke
04-27-2010, 03:17 PM
If Jennings wins ROTY I will leave ISH forever.

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2010/4/27/1446682/breaking-tyreke-evans-to-be-named

Spike Spiegel
04-28-2010, 02:05 AM
Once again, let's ignore Salmons. And the fact that the hawks have trouble performing on the road. And that Curry or Evans could bend over Bibby and make him squeel.

OR, we can just praise BJ for having a good series. His numbers:

19.8 points
2.8 rebounds
4.0 assists
1.3 TO
46.3% FG
38.1% 3
81.8% FT

He's played very well. His TO rate is extremely impressive for a rookie point guard in his first playoff series.

Is he ROY? No. It's a regular season award, and for half the season he shot like absolute crap. But he's played well in the playoffs.

ILLsmak
04-28-2010, 06:13 AM

I know it's hard to be wrong, but sometimes it's easier to just let it go...

-Smak

Yung D-Will
04-28-2010, 07:42 AM
I get what you're saying that Bougut took his team to the playoffs but in the playoffs its been all Jennings he's been playing spectacular I think performing in the playoffs deserves a merit for roty

King Kong
04-28-2010, 05:57 PM
if he upsets atl then yes

Kiddlovesnets
04-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Again, he shot 30% from the field...

Showtime
04-28-2010, 06:40 PM
I know it's hard to be wrong, but sometimes it's easier to just let it go...

-Smak
I am not wrong. BJ is not doing anything that other top rookie PG's couldn't be doing in his place. This playoff series does not mean he's ROY.

Showtime
04-28-2010, 06:42 PM
OR, we can just praise BJ for having a good series. He's played very well. His TO rate is extremely impressive for a rookie point guard in his first playoff series.

I am not saying otherwise.

Bigsmoke
04-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Jenning is a part of the Bucks turn around... i cant say anything negative about that. But they would have been better or atleast just as good as they are now with Evans.

ODEN>DURANT
04-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Looks like he's going off tonight too.

Brandon Jennings:bowdown:

adamcz
04-28-2010, 08:46 PM
As a Bucks fan, I'm thrilled with Jennings' rookie year. He isn't our best player (Bogut is), but he showed a lot for such a low draft pick. Evans had a better rookie season, and I don't have the energy to debate Curry right now. I'll just leave it at being happy with what Jennings' promises to deliver over the next bunch of years.

Papaya Petee
04-28-2010, 08:52 PM
Again, he shot 30% from the field...
A J-Kidd fan should never be talking about FG percentage.

ILLsmak
04-28-2010, 11:48 PM
I am not wrong. BJ is not doing anything that other top rookie PG's couldn't be doing in his place. This playoff series does not mean he's ROY.

That's where we disagree. I don't think they could. People call BJ a low IQ player, but to me he's one of the highest. There might be other high IQ guards, but of the top 3... including Curry, he has a higher IQ. Just because he looks like he's out of some 80s rap video doesn't mean that he isn't intelligent when it comes to basketball.

I don't think he's the rookie of the year because Tyreke has way better stats. I'm saying I believe he's playing the best ball, is the best leader, and has had the most productive rookie season. He's the person I'd pick on my team if I wanted to actually win a game or series...

You guys are acting like he's a scrub which is absurd.

-Smak

dawsey6
04-29-2010, 12:05 AM
That's where we disagree. I don't think they could. People call BJ a low IQ player, but to me he's one of the highest. There might be other high IQ guards, but of the top 3... including Curry, he has a higher IQ. Just because he looks like he's out of some 80s rap video doesn't mean that he isn't intelligent when it comes to basketball.

I don't think he's the rookie of the year because Tyreke has way better stats. I'm saying I believe he's playing the best ball, is the best leader, and has had the most productive rookie season. He's the person I'd pick on my team if I wanted to actually win a game or series...

-Smak

Who calls BJ a low-IQ player?

um...ok?

I thought that's what the whole debate was about in the first place.

Who says he's a scrub? I just hear people saying why he isn't ROY. Being that he had the highest scoring output in a game this season and is doing well in the playoffs, I don't think ppl think he's a scrub.

Showtime
04-29-2010, 12:11 AM

I don't think he has low IQ because he of a haircut. He's an inconsistent shooter who tends to fall in love with his jumper. I don't see anything he does on the court that is special or unique that Curry or Collison or Evans couldn't in his position.

I'm saying I believe he's playing the best ball, is the best leader, and has had the most productive rookie season.

First off, he hasn't been the most productive. That's not even a discussion at this point. Second, what is your basis for saying he's a better floor leader than any other PG?

What is absurd is your comment. I'm not acting like he's a scrub. I'm just acting like he's not the primary reason why the bucks are winning. I'm acting like some credit needs to be spread around instead of saying BJ = ROY because of being in the playoffs.

ILLsmak
04-29-2010, 12:40 AM
I don't think he has low IQ because he of a haircut. He's an inconsistent shooter who tends to fall in love with his jumper. I don't see anything he does on the court that is special or unique that Curry or Collison or Evans couldn't in his position.

First off, he hasn't been the most productive. That's not even a discussion at this point. Second, what is your basis for saying he's a better floor leader than any other PG?

What is absurd is your comment. I'm not acting like he's a scrub. I'm just acting like he's not the primary reason why the bucks are winning. I'm acting like some credit needs to be spread around instead of saying BJ = ROY because of being in the playoffs.

Showtime thinks he's a low IQ player...

I'm not saying that because of the playoffs. I've been saying it all year. I did say wait til the playoffs because I think he'll have something special for us, and so far he has... but overall he's just played well.

Let me put it this way, he's not really a better leader for sure because we don't know how well those other guys lead. But at this point it's fair to say he's a better leader because he's the only one who is winning of the three. When the others are put into winning situations, we'll see how well they lead.

No matter what an upset win vs the Hawks (assuming it happens) is something that you have to give him credit for. You can't just keep saying "it's someone else."

-Smak

Meticode
04-29-2010, 12:42 AM
Jennings is the offensive fire power.
In the playoffs? Yes. During the season where RotY is earned, no. Bogut even averaged more points than Jennings did during the season.

PistonsFan#21
04-29-2010, 12:48 AM
In the playoffs? Yes. During the season where RotY is earned, no. Bogut even averaged more points than Jennings did during the season.

55pts game, highest scoring total of a player this season :pimp:

Batz
04-29-2010, 12:50 AM
And dead last in the NBA in FG%... :roll: :roll:

PistonsFan#21
04-29-2010, 12:56 AM
And dead last in the NBA in FG%... :roll: :roll:

What was his FG% during his 55pts game?

Batz
04-29-2010, 01:02 AM
What was his FG% during his 55pts game?
What was it after? It's called a fluke against one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA. Good for him, but one fluke performance shouldn't give him the ROTY award. If that were the case then why didn't Bryant get the MVP the year he scored 81 or last season when he scored 61? Your logic fails.

Kiddlovesnets
04-29-2010, 01:13 AM
A J-Kidd fan should never be talking about FG percentage.

lol but Kidd is a pure PG, while Jennings is a scoring first PG, which is the problem.

PistonsFan#21
04-29-2010, 01:18 AM
What was it after? It's called a fluke against one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA. Good for him, but one fluke performance shouldn't give him the ROTY award. If that were the case then why didn't Bryant get the MVP the year he scored 81 or last season when he scored 61? Your logic fails.

Hmm i dont know. Maybe because there is a difference between competing for a ROTY trophy with Evans and competing for an MVP with the best players n the league. :confusedshrug:

Last time i checked other players have played agaisnt the same team Jennings dropped 55pts on and none of them had the same "fluke".

Meticode
04-29-2010, 01:24 AM
Tony Delk got 50 points once. And his best offensive season was 12PPG.

/thread

coin24
04-29-2010, 01:24 AM
I dont understand why idiots on here keep going on about FG%...

He is on a winning team, made the playoffs, and he is playing well. If more posters on here watched the game instead of just reading the box score there might be some more intelligent responses...

He might put up a few ill advised shots but remember he is a ROOKIE.:hammerhead:

Meticode
04-29-2010, 01:30 AM
I dont understand why idiots on here keep going on about FG%...

He is on a winning team, made the playoffs, and he is playing well. If more posters on here watched the game instead of just reading the box score there might be some more intelligent responses...

He might put up a few ill advised shots but remember he is a ROOKIE.:hammerhead:
But he didn't play substantially well as a rookie in the regular season. Curry and Evans by far had better seasons individually as rookies. The RotY traditionally doesn't have a lick to do with how your team does. Plus Jennings isn't a huge reason why the Bucks had a decent season, the man was highly inefficient while players like Bogut and Salmons get's mention second to Jennings because of a over-hyped 55 point game that declared him RotY while there was still almost 80 damn games to go in the regular season.

Showtime
04-29-2010, 01:32 AM
No matter what an upset win vs the Hawks (assuming it happens) is something that you have to give him credit for. You can't just keep saying "it's someone else."

-Smak
Why can't you grasp my point? I'm not saying he doesn't deserve any credit. I'm saying his performance does not mean he automatically deserves the ROY award, which was the comment to which I responded.

There's a difference in giving a guy some credit, and giving him all the credit.

Batz
04-29-2010, 01:33 AM
Hmm i dont know. Maybe because there is a difference between competing for a ROTY trophy with Evans and competing for an MVP with the best players n the league. :confusedshrug:

Last time i checked other players have played agaisnt the same team Jennings dropped 55pts on and none of them had the same "fluke".
Rookies competing for ROTY can be compared to All-stars competing for MVP.

They didn't need a fluke. They were just consistently better and that's what matters.

PistonsFan#21
04-29-2010, 01:34 AM
Tony Delk got 50 points once. And his best offensive season was 12PPG.

/thread

Dont close this thread too fast homie. Tony Delk was never as good of a leader as Jennings even if Jennings is only in his 1st year. I saw Tony Delk play when he was on my Pistons and he was nothing but a scorer (not a really good one at that). Replace Delk with Jennings on the hawks and this series is a sweep for Atlanta.

Batz
04-29-2010, 01:36 AM
Dont close this thread too fast homie. Tony Delk was never as good of a leader as Jennings even if Jennings is only in his 1st year. Replace Delk with Jennings on the hawks and this series is a sweep for Atlanta.
John Salmons says hi.

PistonsFan#21
04-29-2010, 01:39 AM
Rookies competing for ROTY can be compared to All-stars competing for MVP.

They didn't need a fluke. They were just consistently better and that's what matters.

Actually no...It is well known that the competition for MVP is always stronger than competition for ROTY. Only 1st year players can compete for ROTY but any player is eligible to compete for MVP. You always see 4-5 guys that have a legit chance to win an MVP (not so much nowadays because Lebron is too dominating). ROY is most of the time a race between 2 guys.

Batz
04-29-2010, 01:40 AM
Actually no...It is well known that the competition for MVP is always stronger than competition for ROTY. Only 1st year players can compete for ROTY but any player is eligible to compete for MVP. You always see 4-5 guys that have a legit chance to win an MVP (not so much nowadays because Lebron is too dominating). ROY is most of the time a race between 2 guys.
Still, there is always an amount of players competing for ROTY and an amount for MVP. It's equal.

PistonsFan#21
04-29-2010, 01:41 AM
John Salmons says hi.

He is the best scorer on the team but definately not the leader. Jennings is the one that sets his teammates and calls the plays. Salmons is simply the one that puts the ball in the basket. He isnt a vocal leader at all.

PistonsFan#21
04-29-2010, 01:44 AM
Still, there is always an amount of players competing for ROTY and an amount for MVP. It's equal.

Its not equal. The amount of players competing for ROY is limited to about 60 players (i dont know how many rookies there is playing in the NBA) while MVP isnt.

Spike Spiegel
04-29-2010, 09:07 AM
John Salmons says hi.

Salmons MIGHT be the #3 leader on the team, but I'd argue against that.

Bogut
Jennings
Stackhouse

Are the Bucks "leaders" at the moment, in that order.

Spike Spiegel
04-29-2010, 09:12 AM
lol but Kidd is a pure PG, while Jennings is a scoring first PG, which is the problem.

lolololololololol

Someone didn't watch Jennings past the first month of the season. While he isn't a "pure" point guard, he is usually looking to set his teammates up before setting up for his own shot.

And before anybody resorts to the shallow apg stat, you would also have to take into consideration how Skiles runs his offense, i.e. LOTS of ball movement. This is one of the reasons Bogut also doesn't have high assists numbers despite being an excellent passing center.

ILLsmak
04-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Why can't you grasp my point? I'm not saying he doesn't deserve any credit. I'm saying his performance does not mean he automatically deserves the ROY award, which was the comment to which I responded.

There's a difference in giving a guy some credit, and giving him all the credit.

Naaah, you have said many times or implied that he isn't in the same class as the other two guys. That it's outlandish to believe he's the best rookie, and it's not. Until you admit that (which you never will), I am going to disagree with you.

At least you are starting to see that he's not some shot jacking scrub.

To the person who said BJ is a scoring pg... he's not really. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, he's not really used to the NBA style and he tries to find his shot early for the stretch run. He wont have to worry so much about finding his shot once he gets a little more experience. He will be able to just play his game and shoot with confidence.

The Bucks have a good squad, for sure, and Ridnour can be a better player than JEnnings if he's wetting or if Jennings is totally off (because he does lose his confidence when he starts going like 3-15), but I like the way the Bucks play with Jennings a lot.

I just think he needs more respect... he is, at worse, comparable to the other two 'elite guards'... that is you consider Curry elite at this point. Anyone who doesn't see that is just a hater.

And he will probably never shoot under 40% again.

-Smak

Andrei89
04-29-2010, 02:38 PM
http://www.nba.com/playoffs2010/index.html

Guess it will be Tyreke

GJ son:applause: :applause:

Pursuer
04-29-2010, 02:49 PM
So if Jennings loses(it's probably going to happen) Friday will be stage for his revenge game and it will be a chance to advance. We will see how can the young buck really perform. Would be so great if a rookie dropped 50 in a close-out-revenge-for-not-winning-ROY game.

imnew09
04-29-2010, 03:34 PM
its to tyreke...
wow

Showtime
04-29-2010, 03:48 PM
So if Jennings loses(it's probably going to happen) Friday will be stage for his revenge game and it will be a chance to advance. We will see how can the young buck really perform. Would be so great if a rookie dropped 50 in a close-out-revenge-for-not-winning-ROY game.
The award is for 82 games of the regular season. It's not about who will be better in the future, who might have the better career, or who happened to be on a playoff team.

chains5000
04-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Cause we all know scoring 50 is easy.

Qwyjibo
04-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Well deserved to Evans. He was the best overall rookie during the season.

NoGunzJustSkillz
04-29-2010, 03:55 PM
The award is for 82 games of the regular season. It's not about who will be better in the future, who might have the better career, or who happened to be on a playoff team.
no fcking sh!t...

insidehoops
04-29-2010, 03:57 PM
As expected.

Evans received 67 first-place votes (491 points) from a panel of 123 sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada. Golden State

Showtime
04-29-2010, 03:57 PM
no fcking sh!t...
Then obviously a "revenge" performance is an absurd premise.

pete's montreux
04-29-2010, 03:58 PM
Closer than I thought it would be. Looks like people payed attention to Curry.

:applause:

GOBB
04-29-2010, 04:11 PM
No brainer Evans was the ROY but I kinda wondered if Curry would make it where they were CO-ROY. Curry finished avg 17.5ppg 5.9apg 4.3rpg 1.9spg. And was one of the best 3pt shooters in the NBA stroking 44% of his 3's. 6th in 3pt made and 7th in 3pt %. Crazy. I wouldnt have made a stink if they split it.

Showtime
04-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Closer than I thought it would be. Looks like people payed attention to Curry.

:applause:
Considering what the warriors did, it's hard to ignore him.

The Warriors' campaign for Curry wasn't as public, but was quite in-depth when it came to attempting to sway voters. Golden State PR personnel are believed to have contacted nearly every voter outside of Sacramento by phone or e-mail (or in some cases both) with a detailed case for Curry based primarily on his shooting efficiency, his five games with at least 30 points and 10 assists and his improved numbers over the second half of the season. In the pitch, Golden State boasted that although Evans won the rookie scoring title by a substantial distance (20.1 to 17.5), if you only count Curry's numbers after December 31, he would averaged (21.1 points). Evans averaged just over 20 points per game from January on.

In contacting voters immediately after Golden State's regular season finale against the Blazers, in which Curry racked up 42/9/8 against a team sitting Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge and Marcus Camby, Warriors PR boss Raymond Ridder told voters that if they had already voted for Evans or Jennings, they could still contact the NBA to change their vote to Curry.

ScolaFan
04-29-2010, 04:20 PM

So did Blair. :pimp: Even though he didn't win Blair is doing an awesome job for the Spurs!!!

SRZ66
04-29-2010, 04:26 PM
i honestly dont think brandon jennings is good at all. he has one hell of an ugly shot and i just dont trust him on the court. curry and evans are light years ahead of him. in 5 years, they will be superstars, and jennings will be buried on some shitty team's bench

WhySoInsecure?
04-29-2010, 04:39 PM
WHYYYY KNIIIIIIIIIIIICKS WHYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

http://net4baby.com/baby/images/stories/main/crying_baby.jpg

1 pick from Curry
passed on BJ

Showtime
04-29-2010, 04:40 PM
WHYYYY KNIIIIIIIIIIIICKS WHYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

http://net4baby.com/baby/images/stories/main/crying_baby.jpg

1 pick from Curry
passed on BJ

Hey, just be glad you are not a T-Wolves fan.

GOBB
04-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Considering what the warriors did, it's hard to ignore him.

How is it hard to ignore him based on an isolated incident where they targeted a specific area? :oldlol: Come on.

People ignore Curry based on him being a Warrior given the system run there. They question any and everything.

i honestly dont think brandon jennings is good at all. he has one hell of an ugly shot and i just dont trust him on the court. curry and evans are light years ahead of him. in 5 years, they will be superstars, and jennings will be buried on some shitty team's bench

You're smoking some good ass marijuana. You might wanna pass it if you keep posting this stuff.

Showtime
04-29-2010, 04:56 PM
How is it hard to ignore him based on an isolated incident where they targeted a specific area? :oldlol: Come on.

WTF are you talking about?

The guy said the voters didn't ignore Curry.

I responded by saying it's hard to ignore him when they get calls from the warriors staff rallying for Curry.

People ignore Curry based on him being a Warrior given the system run there. They question any and everything.

People don't ignore curry. You are contradicting yourself. You say people ignore him, but then they must think about his situation enough to put some context around his statistical production. And that's the same for other guys as well. Nobody who pays attention to the NBA ignores the guy.

You're smoking some good ass marijuana. You might wanna pass it if you keep posting this stuff.
You are such a dumbass.

GOBB
04-29-2010, 05:24 PM
People don't ignore curry. You are contradicting yourself. You say people ignore him, but then they must think about his situation enough to put some context around his statistical production. And that's the same for other guys as well. Nobody who pays attention to the NBA ignores the guy.

Hardly contradicting myself genius. People who talk about Curry being in GSW are diehard basketball fans. Casual bball fans are clueless. People ignore Curry are the casual bball fans. Everyone in the NBA isnt followed by people who watch the NBA. Casual fans gravitate towards the star being pushed. Thats why the NBA promotes individual players and not teams.

Contradiction denied.

You are such a dumbass.

Yes because what he said made sense. Who is the real dumbass here? :rolleyes:

Showtime
04-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Hardly contradicting myself genius. People who talk about Curry being in GSW are diehard basketball fans. Casual bball fans are clueless.

AND CASUAL FANS DON'T HAVE A VOTE FOR ROY DUMBASS. Again, go read the CONTEXT of my comment to which you responded:

"Closer than I thought it [voting results] would be. Looks like people payed attention to Curry."

"Considering what the warriors did [calling up the voters], it's hard to ignore him."

"People [casual basketball fans] ignore Curry..."

So please tell me why you felt the need to respond with nonsense about the casual basketball fan when we were clearly talking about the ROY award and it's voting results.

Contradiction denied.

You are a dumbass.

You say the casual fan ignores curry, because they are clueless. But prior to that you said the basis for them ignoring him was the system they run in GS. So how could the casual basketball fan, who knows little about the game, be able to consider the offensive style of play when thinking about a player's statistical production in his situation?

Contradiction is evident.

Jumpman10135
04-29-2010, 08:40 PM
I know some other certain rook who is taking his team to the second round.

Batz
04-29-2010, 08:41 PM
20-5-5.

bdreason
04-29-2010, 08:42 PM

You mean DeJuan Blair?

Big One
04-29-2010, 08:44 PM

it doesn't matter you idiot, ROY is an individual award based on 95% stats

CavsLebronMo
04-29-2010, 08:49 PM
it doesn't matter you idiot, ROY is an individual award based on 95% stats
Was the name calling really necessary?

Peteballa
04-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Dude this thread is ridiculous. Put Tyreke in Jennings' position and the Bucks are the same if not better.

Tyreke is a better player and had the better season. That's all there is to it.

Showtime
04-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Dude, the award is for the rookie who had the best regular season. Jennings didn't have the best rookie season.

Wukillabeez78
04-29-2010, 08:52 PM

How in the hell did that other "rook" you're referring to lead his team anywhere shooting 37%? That rook better learn to shoot over the summer before he ends up out of the league like other terrible shooters... Tyreke Evans deserved to win with Stephen Curry rightfully coming in second place. That other rook is an afterthought even if he makes it into the second round.

RaceBannana
04-29-2010, 08:53 PM

John Salmons is not a rookie.
Being serious... It is more the result of teamwork than the merit of a single player

The ROY has a simple criteria: Player with the best numbers wins.

Batz
04-29-2010, 08:53 PM
John Salmons is not a rookie.

Why didn't I think of that... :lol

HylianNightmare
04-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Curry and Jennings woylsve been better choices

L.Kizzle
04-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Dude this thread is ridiculous. Put Tyreke in Jennings' position and the Bucks are the same if not better.

Tyreke is a better player and had the better season. That's all there is to it.
And you know this, how?

Qwyjibo
04-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Because he was the best overall rookie this year. Individual awards shouldn't be based on "how good the player's teammates were".

lefthook00
04-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Regular. Season. Award.

Carmeloo15
04-30-2010, 01:59 AM
good news :rockon:

hawksdogsbraves
04-30-2010, 02:32 AM
Well deserved, if anyone thinks that Jennings or Curry deserved this over Evans then they need to reevaluate.

oh the horror
04-30-2010, 02:56 AM
Evans DESERVES this award. He had a FANTASTIC season. His team unfortunately, stinks.

People look at Jennings, and say to themselves ..."well his team is damn near heading to the second round, so why isnt he the rookie of the year?"

Well, what you're seeing on that Bucks squad is what happens when a team bands together, and makes a concentrated effort together, to play great team ball. It isnt solely BECAUSE of Jennings' play. Are you crazy?

ShoeGuy
04-30-2010, 04:27 AM
well deserved Reke. :applause:

I actually think if Kmart didn't go down at the beginning of the season we'd be congratulating Curry or Jennings.

Kiddlovesnets
04-30-2010, 04:27 AM
Overrated...

oh the horror
04-30-2010, 04:41 AM
Overrated...

20/5/5 during a rookie season, is overrated to you?

Lebron23
04-30-2010, 04:45 AM
Future Top 3 player in the NBA. The Sky is the limit for young Tyreke Evans.

coin24
04-30-2010, 06:32 AM
Congrats to tyreke.. Can't argue with those numbers..

I would have liked to see Jennings get it, but he was MIA for
chunks of the season.. Good to see him playing well in the
playoffs though..

Xover
04-30-2010, 10:44 AM
yea jennings shot at 37 percent for his debut season but as far as the playoffs im pretty sure he was shooting at about the 45 percent mark although he did make a few more attempts. that being said he came up big in the playoffs as the bucks needed due to the absense of their big man and even tht still doesnt win him the ROY tho the kid deserves more than the idioitic hate based on his APG through the regular series :banghead:

Jailblazers7
04-30-2010, 10:48 AM
I'm a little lost as to why team record is such an important factor in MVP but has little importance for ROY.

Showtime
04-30-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm a little lost as to why team record is such an important factor in MVP but has little importance for ROY.
It's not just team record. It's a player's impact on his team's record.

Jailblazers7
04-30-2010, 02:11 PM
It's not just team record. It's a player's impact on his team's record.

Wouldn't you say Brandon Jennings has had a significant impact on that record? I understand Bogut is the best player on that team but Jennings has been asked to run the offense while also carrying a heavy load of the scoring with Michael Redd out all year.

Showtime
04-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Wouldn't you say Brandon Jennings has had a significant impact on that record?

The argument people have used has been:

Bucks record > Kings and Warriors record.

Now, my position is that if you want to argue impact, then I have two responses:

First of which is that Evans has impacted his team. Dealing with a first year head coach, dealing with injuries, trades, and an inconsistent lineup (and one of the youngest and most inexperienced rotations in the league), he not only managed to help his team win more games than last season, but anybody paying attention saw his clutch play and how he helped his team stay competitive when they really shouldn't have been (taking LA and Cleveland down to the wire, 35 point comeback in Chicago, etc etc).

So with that being said, when looking at impact, I don't see how Evans couldn't have the same positive impact on the bucks to help them get to the playoffs.

Both players helped their team. Just because one had a better team doesn't mean said individual had more of an impact than the other.

I understand Bogut is the best player on that team but Jennings has been asked to run the offense while also carrying a heavy load of the scoring with Michael Redd out all year.

And Evans shouldered the load when Martin went down 6 games into the season. The kings didn't have a legit option like Bogut to go to. All they had was Evans and a bunch of role players.

It's comments like these that really make me wonder how many games people actually watched Evans play this season.

Jailblazers7
04-30-2010, 02:28 PM
The argument people have used has been:

Bucks record > Kings and Warriors record.

Now, my position is that if you want to argue impact, then I have two responses:

First of which is that Evans has impacted his team. Dealing with a first year head coach, dealing with injuries, trades, and an inconsistent lineup (and one of the youngest and most inexperienced rotations in the league), he not only managed to help his team win more games than last season, but anybody paying attention saw his clutch play and how he helped his team stay competitive when they really shouldn't have been (taking LA and Cleveland down to the wire, 35 point comeback in Chicago, etc etc).

So with that being said, when looking at impact, I don't see how Evans couldn't have the same positive impact on the bucks to help them get to the playoffs.

Both players helped their team. Just because one had a better team doesn't mean said individual had more of an impact than the other.

And Evans shouldered the load when Martin went down 6 games into the season. The kings didn't have a legit option like Bogut to go to. All they had was Evans and a bunch of role players.

It's comments like these that really make me wonder how many games people actually watched Evans play this season.

I've watched probably 7-8 games of Tyreke this season. Obviously I won't have as many opportunities to watch his games as you do because you live on the west coast and I live on the east coast. I know Evans had a huge impact on his team and did perform great in the clutch. I'm just trying to play devil's advocate here as to why Jennings should be voted ROY. I don't even think Jennings should have won it.

Showtime
04-30-2010, 03:24 PM
I've watched probably 7-8 games of Tyreke this season. Obviously I won't have as many opportunities to watch his games as you do because you live on the west coast and I live on the east coast. I know Evans had a huge impact on his team and did perform great in the clutch. I'm just trying to play devil's advocate here as to why Jennings should be voted ROY. I don't even think Jennings should have won it.
I understand. Because of BJ's stats, the best argument that could be made is his impact on the bucks making the playoffs. But the counter to that is that other PG's, in a similar situation, could have also made a positive impact on the bucks, so there's really nothing that sets BJ head and shoulders above the rest of his rookie peers to get the award.

ChuckOakley
04-30-2010, 04:44 PM
One advantage Jennings seems to have over the others (besides team success) is defense.

http://www.brewhoop.com/2010/4/29/1451337/bucks-slow-hawks-transition-game

Hollinger's take....

Unlike Evans or Curry, however, he doesn't have to post big offensive numbers in order to be an effective player. For starters, Jennings has run the point with savvy belying his years, committing just seven turnovers in five games in the postseason. He's still not a classic drive-and-kick guy, but in his year spent taking his lumps in Italy and his season under Skiles, he's learned how to play nearly mistake-free basketball.

And then there's the defense. Jennings is miles beyond Evans and Curry in this respect, and that explains why his on-court versus off-court defensive stats are the best of the three -- even though Jennings' faces much more difficult comparisons via this stat because his teammates actually guard people. The Kings were 21st in Defensive Efficiency and the Warriors 29th, while Jennings' Milwaukee team, by contrast, was third.

Jennings is undersized and took his lumps at times at the defensive end of the floor early in the season. But he has steadily improved by necessity, and because he's been held accountable all season, his defense this series has been consistently good and at times phenomenal. I watched Game 3 and thought it was the best I'd ever seen him defend, but he was just as good in far more trying circumstances in Game 5.

Again while Evans clearly had the best regular season and was the ROY, Jennings was probably closer than most (Evans fans and Curry fans) care to admit.

Also, I do find it preposterous when people say that Curry or Evans could have done just as good and probably better in Milwaukee considering that is clearly hypothetical. Some pieces fit well together, some do not. Jennings clearly fit in Milwaukee, we do not know hot the others would have.

Showtime
04-30-2010, 04:50 PM
"Jennings is miles beyond Evans and Curry in this respect"

That statement is LAUGHABLE. Evans often took on the best perimeter player on the opposing team. Arenas, Kobe, Joe Johnson, Westbrook, Wade, etc etc. He was often used to guard either guard position depending on matchups, and he had to face much more difficult players to handle. Again, hollinger shows how much he doesn't know about the game.

alwaysunny
04-30-2010, 05:09 PM
for those that believe Evans doesn't deserve ROY, let me ask you this: did Lebron deserve it over Carmelo?

nonetheless, Evans was ROY because he was the best player. it's that simple.

alwaysunny
04-30-2010, 05:28 PM

a rookie being the best player on a team is very rare, which means they usually aren't the main contributor to the team record. plus it's fundamentally flawed to award the rookie that has better teammate than others, therefore it's reasonable to award the player simply based on stats. MVP on the other hand, holds more responsibility for the team, which relates to the team success.

but then again, it would've been interesting if Jennings shot 45% from the field.

jbot
04-30-2010, 05:33 PM
and they've been winning w/o him. hmmmm.

Kujo
04-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Evans was the best player on his team as a Rookie, and lead all rookies in the most important stats. You can't be more deserving to win ROY.

Qwyjibo
04-30-2010, 06:22 PM
It shouldn't for either one.

The MVP voting makes no sense most of the time.

magnax1
05-01-2010, 02:04 AM
I've got to say Jennings was equally deserving. Maybe statistically he was worse, but hes a better point guard, and he plays better on an actual team. Hes a real PG, where Tyreke is a SG with nice vision.

Showtime
05-01-2010, 02:15 AM
I've got to say Jennings was equally deserving. Maybe statistically he was worse, but hes a better point guard, and he plays better on an actual team. Hes a real PG, where Tyreke is a SG with nice vision.
So, since when did the rookie of the year award become the "point guard of the year" award? Ok, BJ is more of a PG than Evans, while Evans splits minutes at both guard positions. So?

magnax1
05-01-2010, 11:02 AM
So, since when did the rookie of the year award become the "point guard of the year" award? Ok, BJ is more of a PG than Evans, while Evans splits minutes at both guard positions. So?
Tyreke played PG, for at least half the game. And what I'm also trying to say is that Tyreke might look better, but might not be capable of playing in a winning environment. He is a ballhog, and IF he was in a winning situations his stats definitely wouldn't look like what they were.

Showtime
05-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Tyreke played PG, for at least half the game. And what I'm also trying to say is that Tyreke might look better, but might not be capable of playing in a winning environment. He is a ballhog, and IF he was in a winning situations his stats definitely wouldn't look like what they were.
Wade is a combo guard who dominates the ball. Go tell him he can't win.

Grey Dawn
05-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Not a surprise, think it should have been a really tight 3 player race though. Great rookie class in the end (when you think also Flynn, Blair, Budinger, Collison, Thornton, Jerebko, Lawson, etc.).

rfoster24
05-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Stephen Curry deserved it. He's a ridiculous shooter and tyreke evans is not that good. It's all the media. None of the awards in the NBA mean shit. That's why steve nash got mvp 2x. it's cuz all the voters, most of who never even set foot on a basketball court, hear how hes such a great passer and just have their mind made up at the start of the season. That's really what happened with evans. 20 games into the season, they had already made their minds up. 20 5 5 who gives a shit. It's not like any of his assists or rebounds are truly impressive dam. passes to 3 point shooter and they make it. its all on them. and thats all the kings can do is shoot 3s and thats why they got just barely above 20 wins.

brandonislegend
05-02-2010, 12:42 AM
Stephen Curry deserved it. He's a ridiculous shooter and tyreke evans is not that good. It's all the media. None of the awards in the NBA mean shit. That's why steve nash got mvp 2x. it's cuz all the voters, most of who never even set foot on a basketball court, hear how hes such a great passer and just have their mind made up at the start of the season. That's really what happened with evans. 20 games into the season, they had already made their minds up. 20 5 5 who gives a shit. It's not like any of his assists or rebounds are truly impressive dam. passes to 3 point shooter and they make it. its all on them. and thats all the kings can do is shoot 3s and thats why they got just barely above 20 wins.

?????

Showtime
05-02-2010, 01:19 AM
How many games did you watch evans play this season?

rocman9
05-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Stephen Curry deserved it. 20 5 5 who gives a shit. It's not like any of his assists or rebounds are truly impressive dam. passes to 3 point shooter and they make it. its all on them. and thats all the kings can do is shoot 3s and thats why they got just barely above 20 wins.

Are you just trying to bait reactions out of people with that ridiculous shit? Because there's no way you're actually serious. I'll bite. Above all the bullshit that you threw out against Tyreke, how the hell are you throwing out the wins argument when you're trying to make a point in favor of Curry?

If you're (probably) a W's fan, how're you making that argument? Because you guys finished with 26 wins over the Kings' 25? +1 in the win column should win you the award over a body of 20.5.5 work through an entire season (and not just the half season that you're banking Curry's case on)?

Swaggin916
05-02-2010, 09:42 PM

Tyreke is not a ball hog at all. He attacks the basket at will and either goes for the finish or dishes to an open teammate. I've seen him play all year, on TV, and live... and he is not a ball hog.

Fallguy20
05-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Mayo and Steph did good but Evans clearly was the best rookie.

ZenMaster
05-02-2010, 10:59 PM
For anyone who doubts Tyreke:

The guy comes into the NBA and shoots more layups than ANYONE in the league, that shouldn't even be possible.

He's the real deal.