PDA

View Full Version : Discuss Thunder, Kevin Durant now that Lakers eliminated them in round 1

insidehoops
05-01-2010, 01:08 AM
The Thunder put up a good fight, but Lakers eliminated them in six games in round 1.

Discuss your new thoughts on Durant and the Thunder

BallsOut
05-01-2010, 01:10 AM
Artest AKA Durantula stopper.

ODEN>DURANT
05-01-2010, 01:12 AM
Thunder - Blazers WCF next season.

bl2k8
05-01-2010, 01:12 AM
he's a good player but not better than Carmelo.

Phong
05-01-2010, 01:13 AM
Although he looks like a decent young man, it's hard to cheer for him when he didn't do anything but gets BS calls after BS calls in his favor.

Micku
05-01-2010, 01:20 AM
They are missing a couple of pieces from them being a huge threat. I was impress by Westbrook. I hardly watch the Thunders in the regular season, but it seemed Westbrook stepped up. Westbrook seemed like a leader.

It's too bad that Durant struggled, but Artest and the Lakers played some good D on him.

Batz
05-01-2010, 01:21 AM
One decent 7 footer away from making one hell of a playoff run.

RazorBaLade
05-01-2010, 01:34 AM
If the refs are still on their side next year they just need to avoid LA until the conference finals.

O.J A 6'4Mamba
05-01-2010, 01:37 AM
They are missing a couple of pieces from them being a huge threat. I was impress by Westbrook. I hardly watch the Thunders in the regular season, but it seemed Westbrook stepped up. Westbrook seemed like a leader.

It's too bad that Durant struggled, but Artest and the Lakers played some good D on him.

Durant is the leader don't get it twisted, he just isn't a playmaker he doesn't have that in his game.

young playmakers are like Russell Westbrook, Brandon Jennings, Tyreke Evans

it is hard for a forward especially a young one to be a playmaker LeBron and Bird, Dr J are really the exception. It can be developed over time, a guy like Melo is much improved playmaker you see him sometimes getting 5-8 assists alot more than he use to.

To me right now Kevin Durant is really like the really rich mans version of Rudy Gay a guy that can score from everywhere on the court, is athletic, can get ot the line, but that's about it.

momo
05-01-2010, 02:10 AM
Future looks bright for them. I think this year was a great learning experience for them. They need to learn to bounce back from a tough game (gm 5) a bit better, and they could use a tough big. But man what an upside they have.

asdf1990
05-01-2010, 03:00 AM
durant needs to stop shooting his team outta games..

ginobli2311
05-01-2010, 06:58 AM
The Thunder have a very bright future. They took the Lakers to 6 and were a block out away from going back to LA for a game 7. The fact that the Thunder were able to play the Lakers so tough despite Durant playing awful and shooting 35% for the series and Green playing awful while shooting 33% for the series is a really really good sign. Both Westbrook and Ibaka really stepped up and proved they have what it takes for the playoffs. Harden showed some really good flashes for a rookie and Kristic(although he did not play great) at times played well. The Thunder need to bring in a veteran guard to backup Westbrook and mentor Maynor a little. I like Maynor, but he needs to be more of a jason terry player but in a more limited role. They also need another big to fill the role Collison does. Collison is a good player, but he just does not have the size or athleticism that the Thunder need. If I was the Thunder I would go after Bosh with a sign and trade that included Green, Sefolosha, and Collison...If that works....i haven't run the numbers. I they added Bosh, a decent veteran backup pg, and a big body......I think they could definitely enter next year's playoffs as legit title contenders. What is so cool about how the Thunder were built is that they are going to have at least a 5-7 year title window if they make a few improvements.

Of course, everything I said above is contingent on Durant not playing so poorly in the playoffs. He wasn't terrible, but he was pretty bad. My guess is that it was just part of the process, and he'll be a man on a mission next year.

Dasher
05-01-2010, 07:31 AM
The team needs some girth badly. Serge Ibaka and Nick Collison just is not going to cut it.

Andrei89
05-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Just saw the recap. I can't believe westbrook missed that open jumper from close range.

It's a shame

spursrule
05-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Would *LOVE* to have Durant come to San Antonio in same role as Duncan did to Robinson's twilight years, with Durant/Duncan new twin towers.

My basketball dream. :bowdown:

3zazer1
05-01-2010, 09:39 AM
I used to say back in 07 when they made that historic Ray Allen Trade that they were crazy,not gonna get anywhere in the west. But after this fantastic year from them, they're 1 of my fav teams in the NBA!If only they had a certified Center to contain bynum..........

ScolaFan
05-01-2010, 09:51 AM
The Thunder will be a force to deal with very soon.

Gotta hand it to the fans, instead of holding their heads down, leaving, crying, booing, they gave them a standing ovation. I thought that was awesome.

:applause:

kurple
05-01-2010, 10:29 AM
He did as expected.. I have no idea why anyone thought he would do any better.

He's a great basketball player but a bit overrated.. He is at the same level as Melo and not Lebron.

asdf1990
05-01-2010, 11:00 AM
He did as expected.. I have no idea why anyone thought he would do any better.

He's a great basketball player but a bit overrated.. He is at the same level as Melo and not Lebron.

but his ts is 60.7 lol...

GiveItToBurrito
05-01-2010, 12:07 PM
They really lack size inside and perimeter shooting outside of KD and Harden. Green impressed me, but he can't be expected to guard big power forwards without a big shotblocker behind him. Tyson Chandler would have been so perfect here...I think that Hasheem Thabeet would be great here if they could pry him away from Memphis, which seems possible since they barely played him. Hopefully Mullens develops.

I don't know if they're going to be getting involved in the free agent, but there really isn't anyone other than Haywood who I think would be a perfect fit there. Bosh would be nice and I think he could do a decent job playing center, but I don't think he's a good enough defender to fit in with the rest of the Thunder core.

Other thing - Harden's far far far better than he's usually given credit for. I think he'll put up kind of poor man's Manu-type stats next year - 20 5 and 5 per 40 minutes with a true shooting percentage around 58% or 60%

GiveItToBurrito
05-01-2010, 12:09 PM
I used to say back in 07 when they made that historic Ray Allen Trade that they were crazy,not gonna get anywhere in the west. But after this fantastic year from them, they're 1 of my fav teams in the NBA!If only they had a certified Center to contain bynum..........

That was the big thing this series, it wasn't even just Bynum's production that hurt them, it was the open shots and mismatches they caused by having to really gameplan around him. If Tyson Chandler were there, they could have guarded him staight up and still been able to have him block shots as a help defender.

Roundball_Rock
05-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Durant is the leader don't get it twisted, he just isn't a playmaker he doesn't have that in his game.

Why is it always assumed the best player=the team leader? :confusedshrug:

it is hard for a forward especially a young one to be a playmaker LeBron and Bird, Dr J are really the exception.

And Scottie Pippen, Grant Hill, and John Havelick. The funny thing is a few months ago there was a debate here comparing one of these all-around players to Dominique Wilkins types who could score but not do anything else. Durant at this point is in the Wilkins mold. We got the answer. Durant, if his shot is off, is useless. He would be even worse if he didn't get so many FT's. The cream of the crop in the NBA, Lebron, Wade, Kobe, and Howard can all impact games without scoring 30 points. If Durant is to truly become a top 5 player he needs to develop an all-around game, especially in the playoffs because everyone is going to have a poor shooting night or two over the course of a series.

He is at the same level as Melo and not Lebron.

Carmelo is a bit better right now. It is much easier to shut down Durant than Carmelo since the latter has a myriad of ways he can score.

no0
05-01-2010, 01:12 PM
i dunno why people would want to trade green. the trio of westbrook-durant-green looks like they would be deadly in a good 3-4 years. the chemestry the three have look amazing for such young players.

amfirst
05-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Durant will be better than Melo. The kid can shoot really good. Not his fault he gets guarded by Artest and deal with the Lakers d. U can't forget how Artest rape Melo in their last match ups.

ILLsmak
05-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Is anyone ready to admit the Thunder got like every call in that series?

-Smak

Bodhi
05-01-2010, 01:23 PM

-Smak

Even though the Thunder got something like 60 more free throws than the Lakers, I think this is still taboo.

Dasher
05-01-2010, 01:30 PM
The Thunder attacked the rim more. The Lakers are increasingly becoming a jump shooting team.

LA_Showtime
05-01-2010, 01:34 PM

-Smak

Uh, yeah, they did. They deserved to have more free throws, but they didn't deserve to live there.

Phong
05-01-2010, 01:35 PM
The Thunder attacked the rim more. The Lakers are increasingly becoming a jump shooting team.
Was Westbrook attacking the rim when he flopped after his airball causing Kobe to get his 3rd foul?
Or when Ibaka flopped at the end of the second QT when he missed as well?
What about when Artest pumpfaked Ibaka in the 4th, Ibaka falls on Artest and no call was made?
Or when Durant missed, jumped on Bynum who was just standing straight and they called the foul on Bynum? And when Bynum was going for the dunk and Ibaka and Krstic fouled him and the refs whistled a non shooting foul? Sefolosha hitting Kobe on the forearm during a jumpshot and no call was made? Collison setting a pick (grabbing Pau's jersey) and allowing green to dunk and then on the next play Pau getting called for a moving screen.
There were dozens of BS calls all game long.

I'm in the process of making gifs of all the calls for all the blind people who always use the "they attacked the rim" excuse.

Dasher
05-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Gif the dozens of calls. The Lakers hoisted a ridiculous amount of 3s that series. In the close out game they shot 24 of them. Kobe settled for jumpers, and outside of Farmar none of the Lakers are dynamic driving to the rim.

Phong
05-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Gif the dozens of calls. The Lakers hoisted a ridiculous amount of 3s that series. In the close out game they shot 24 of them. Kobe settled for jumpers, and outside of Farmar none of the Lakers are dynamic driving to the rim.
So basically you have absolutely no clear recollection of the game and you just mention they're 3 points attempts? Every body who was watching and posting in the game thread can clearly remember those calls.

Dasher
05-01-2010, 01:56 PM
So basically you have absolutely no clear recollection of the game and you just mention they're 3 points attempts? Every body who was watching and posting in the game thread can clearly remember those calls.
You said there were dozens of calls that you plan to call, I say gif them. There were only a couple of calls that were not made. The did not force feed Pau, and Andrew Bynum was out of it mentally. Even when they went with the huge lineup they did not impose their will in the paint. There was a big FT disparity in only two games. Otherwise the calls were even.

Phong
05-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Too bad I don't have KCAL9 broadcast cause they had lots of replays including a close-up of the following one.

Here's Artest toying with Green, pumpfaking him, Green hitting Artest on the hip. No call.

http://nsa14.casimages.com/img/2010/05/01/100501080646460146.gif

More to come.

Dasher
05-01-2010, 02:10 PM
That is a no call.

Phong
05-01-2010, 02:12 PM
That is a no call.Landing on the other player's hip as he's raising up to shoot is a no call? Like I said, the KCAL9 broadcast with the close up replay was clear as day.

They should tell that to the refs cause they were calling fouls each time Durant swept his arms around and catching Odom or Artest fingertips.

Here's Kobe called for a foul. The replay showed no contact at all:
http://nsa14.casimages.com/img/2010/05/01/100501081513280272.gif

Nice drive to the basket from aggressive Westbrook huh?

Dasher
05-01-2010, 02:19 PM
If Green had really affected Artest, Ron would have sold it by flailing or hitting the deck. No harm, no foul.

Phong
05-01-2010, 02:24 PM
If Green had really affected Artest, Ron would have sold it by flailing or hitting the deck. No harm, no foul.Ever heard of and1 ?

And you think Odom touching Durant's butt with his pinky on a layup will affect Durant? So why give Durant the and1? If you call fouls one way you call them consistently on both side.

Phong
05-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Sefolosha hitting Kobe on the elbow/forearm on a jumpshot - no call:
http://nsa14.casimages.com/img/2010/05/01/100501083440934429.gif

No harm no foul? :rolleyes:

That already a 6 FT advantage for OKC just on 3 plays... More to come.

Dasher
05-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Again no call. These are the plays you are b*tching about? If Kobe wanted the call he should have hit the deck like Russel did.

Phong
05-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Again no call. These are the plays you are b*tching about? If Kobe wanted the call he should have hit the deck like Russel did.Oh so they're not fouls cause they still manage to score even though they were hit. But the Thunder were legitimate calls cause they weren't hit but they sold it? :hammerhead:

Another flop, this time by Ibaka:
http://nsa14.casimages.com/img/2010/05/01/100501084453988289.gif

There's no point on continuing since fouls are only legitimate when they go the Thunder's way. :rolleyes:

asdf1990
05-01-2010, 03:30 PM
last game the okc made sure to fall to the floor after ever possession. i saw durant flop llike 3 times in the third quarter alone, drive to the basket miss shot and fall to the floor, luckily he didn't get some of the flop calls or else he wudda had 20-25 free throws. dudes the next manu gunobili wannabe.

kurple
05-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Lakers fans are calling Nuggets fans babies for mention bad reffing...

Phong
05-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Lakers fans are calling Nuggets fans babies for mention bad reffing...I didn't really follow your serie against Utah, but from what I watched I agree if you tell me Carmelo was getting raped by the refs with all the offensive fouls.

Still, did the Jazz get 20+, 30+, 20+ free throw advantage each game they played at home? And did the Jazz, like the Thunder, shoot 30% all serie but were still in it because of those ridiculous FTs?

ZenMaster
05-01-2010, 05:27 PM
That is a no call.

When you see the replay from the baseline you'll see it's clearly a foul.

Green jumps towards him and bumps his hip.

icemanfan
05-01-2010, 06:14 PM
One decent 7 footer away from making one hell of a playoff run.
They were the 8th seed vs the defending champs. They made a hell of a run. Most of the Laker bandwagon fans still have their Kuntz significantly hurt by this and it shows in their posts. Instead of giving credit like the original, decent Laker fans would have done this bunch is still crying and bitching and throwing a fit worse than a 2 year old with out a bottle. True Laker fans every where must be horrified that the sorry bunch that camps here and uses their name even exist. I guess that is why guess like Aabs left.

50inchvertical
05-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Make a gif of Kevin Durant's last foul against Derek Fisher with 47 seconds left. Make a gif of all the times Russell Westbrook stripped Pau cleanly and Pau just threw his arms in the air.

Phong
05-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Make a gif of Kevin Durant's last foul against Derek Fisher with 47 seconds left. Make a gif of all the times Russell Westbrook stripped Pau cleanly and Pau just threw his arms in the air.When Durant didn't even try to go around Fisher's screen and decided to go through him by pushing with his forearm? The screen is set, Durant just decides to push through, Fisher is pushed back and re established his position. Don't you see Durant right forearm going to Fisher's chest and pushing on the second contact? And that's exactly what the ref called.

http://nsa14.casimages.com/img/2010/05/02/100502013316862493.gif

Artest was called for a foul earlier in the game for much less. Westbrook put his chest against Artest's to set a screen for Durant, Artest pushes with his chest and Westbrook falls backward.

As for Pau, gif the plays when Westbrook strips him of the ball and Pau falls to the ground and is awarded free throws. Please do it. You can probably do that right? I already showed Westbrook doing it.

50inchvertical
05-01-2010, 08:02 PM
I could but it wouldn't be worth the tie and effort. I'd have to find a good, working torrent. Then I'd have to convert the whole thing into a workable format I can import into Windows Movie Maker, then find and cut out the part I want and export as .avi, then load into paintshop pro and convert to .gif.

Phong
05-01-2010, 08:05 PM
I could but it wouldn't be worth the tie and effort. I'd have to find a good, working torrent. Then I'd have to convert the whole thing into a workable format I can import into Windows Movie Maker, then find and cut out the part I want and export as .avi, then load into paintshop pro and convert to .gif.
AVIDEMUX can open pretty much any video format, it can save any part of a vid as a sequence of jpeg that you can open in any gif software. It would take 5 minutes max. Voila.

Phong
05-02-2010, 02:32 AM
Here's an example that shows how great Kevin Durant is at getting to the free throw line.

Westbrook sets a screen, Artest runs through him, knocks him over and gets called for the foul.
But guess who's shooting the FTs. See for yourself. :applause:

http://nsa15.casimages.com/img/2010/05/02/100502082731610779.gif

And when Phil, Fish and Kobe ask the ref why in the hell Durant is shooting Westbrook's FTs,
he just bullshits them even more. :applause:

http://nsa14.casimages.com/img/2010/05/02/100502085046754229.gif

Fallguy20
05-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Its a shock that they did about as good as you could expect from a team that missed the playoffs last year and has the youngest roster in the league. Those guys have tasted playoffs now and next year should be fun to watch.

pethuel03
05-03-2010, 10:37 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/2eao1v5.jpg

=)

dutchguy
05-03-2010, 01:21 PM
next year this exact team will be a title contender in my opinion, let alone if they acquire some new pieces to the puzzle.

50inchvertical
05-03-2010, 09:38 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/2eao1v5.jpg

=)
I'd take it although I hate the idea of getting rid of Jeff. But why would Memphis do it?

If we're dealing with them, I'd like to talk about Thabeet. Are they fully ready to give up on him yet?

rondo9
05-12-2010, 03:38 PM
thabeet is still in D-league who would want him, all he is defense off the bench.

Buffalobraves
05-13-2010, 09:09 PM
thabeet is still in D-league who would want him, all he is defense off the bench.
You don't give up on a guy that was the second pick in the draft that quickly. I'd be glad to take him off the Grizzlies hands...the guy still has a lot potential.

rondo9
05-13-2010, 09:14 PM
You don't give up on a guy that was the second pick in the draft that quickly. I'd be glad to take him off the Grizzlies hands...the guy still has a lot potential.
What are you some yankee from new york? Your saying you would give up jeff green for thabeet?

Buffalobraves
05-13-2010, 10:01 PM
What are you some yankee from new york? Your saying you would give up jeff green for thabeet?
I never said I would trade Green but I'd give up Collison, White, Weaver, or any of our draft picks for him.