PDA

View Full Version : Hawks officially say goodbye to Mike Woodson

MrUnstopable
05-14-2010, 12:03 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=5924

Executive VP/General Manager Rick Sund met with Coach Mike Woodson this morning and informed him that he will not be offered a new contract.

“After careful consideration, we have made a difficult decision regarding Coach Woodson’s contractual status,” said Sund. “We’re grateful for Mike’s contributions over the last six years and we want to wish him the very best.”

Derka
05-14-2010, 12:04 PM
I beat you in the Mike Brown thread by like 30 seconds. Neener neener :P

Kiddlovesnets
05-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Well its not gonna change anything, the Hawks are still a team with plenty of talents and potential but no heart.

willds09
05-14-2010, 12:09 PM
its not his fault

bhallic24
05-14-2010, 12:09 PM
who cares. let's talk about lebron. mike woodson my butt. he's worse than mike brown. I coulda drawn up better plays for the hawks.

Se
05-14-2010, 12:23 PM
I thought it was Mike Brown that was fired. I get those two no-brained 8-balls mixed up

Hotlantadude81
05-14-2010, 12:24 PM
its not his fault

It's not his fault that he admitted that he doesn't get the team to practice offense and it resulted in them being unable to score points in the playoffs?

willds09
05-14-2010, 12:40 PM
It's not his fault that he admitted that he doesn't get the team to practice offense and it resulted in them being unable to score points in the playoffs?
its more of the players fault too

OneMoreSucka
05-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Perfect timing amidst the Lebron saga

dbugz
05-14-2010, 12:48 PM
What is the Hawks GM expecting on that squad? East Finals?

I think he's doing a great job on the Hawks, They don't have super star or legit star on the team but he was able to put the hawks as one of the contender in the last two years.

hawksdogsbraves
05-14-2010, 01:08 PM
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

For those of you who didn't know, Mike Woodson was hands down the worst coach in the league. He did not practice offense, saying that 'it will come on it's own'. The iso strategy actually worked in the regular season, because the Hawks have nearly as much talent as any team in the league across the board. Sadly, that strategy clearly does not work in the playoffs when games slow down, fast break points become hard to come by, and coaching takes a front seat.

His lack of coaching talent was amplified by the fact that he had continuous problems with our players, especially Josh Smith. He could not motivate our players and usually could not even get them to listen to him (not that he ever had anything important to say).

Under Woodson the Hawks continuously blew leads, didn't show up mentally to games, and had lapses in concentration and intensity that often lasted for entire quarters.

I know that we won't have Joe Johnson next year so our lineup will look pretty different, but everything else aside I think replacing Woodson with a good coach will add 5-7 wins at least. It's hard to say though, because many players on our team, (Horford, Smith, Williams) have never even played under a legitimate system offense. We all may be very very surprised at the results if these players fit in well to whatever coaching scheme the Hawks end up with.

Overall this news is not a surprise at all, Rick Sund did not hire Woodson and has been waiting for just this opportunity to get rid of his dumb ass. Sund is smart, and I have a lot of faith in whatever decision he makes.

It is a good day for Hawks fans and the entire franchise :cheers:

hawkfan
05-14-2010, 01:28 PM
The players clearly quit on him during the Magic series.

That said, Woodson didn't have the tools during his tenure. First the Hawks refused to draft a point guard in either Paul or D. Williams.

This year, the Hawks refused to add another wing to help out with scoring.

I don't know who the Hawks are going to look at.

The best coach would be Larry Brown. He could make Josh and Al and Marvin so much better, especially on the offensive end.

bdreason
05-14-2010, 01:31 PM
This is actually good for Woodson. He's getting out before the ship sinks.

Lakers13
05-14-2010, 01:33 PM
When your team quits on you, this is always the conclusion.

hawksdogsbraves
05-14-2010, 01:39 PM
This is actually good for Woodson. He's getting out before the ship sinks.

I don't know what you have against the Hawks but I think you are an idiot. You probably predicted us to win 40 games last year and had to wait all season until our disappointing playoffs so you could start predicting us to miss the playoffs again.

Also, to anyone defending Woodson, you don't know anything about the Hawks and are looking only at his win increase, which is due to the maturation of our young and talented roster.

The Hawks will win 50+ again next season; we will have a top 3 front court in the league, we have over 20 million dollars this offseason, and we are going to get a competent coach. I realize it is too early but I will make an avatar bet with anyone that we win 50+ next year.

kNIOKAS
05-14-2010, 01:47 PM
http://www.thestevenetwork.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/woodson.jpg

he's ok coach, but he simply has to go now. maybe come back later

bdreason
05-14-2010, 01:50 PM
I will make an avatar bet with anyone that we win 50+ next year.

I have nothing against the Hawks, I just see their flaws, and realize that JJ was the glue that kept that team from coming apart. Bibby is done for, and was essentially splitting time at PG with Crawford this year. Crawford is a good scorer, but that's it. His chucking at the SG spot will lose you more games than it wins over the course of a season (as a starter). Josh Smith is a wild card, who knows what he's going to do. I'm guessing some trade demands are coming soon. Marvin is trash, and Horford is a good PF, who is forced to play C.

If they bring in a legit coach ($$$), they could be a playoff team next year... but not a top 4 seed. I don't see the owner spending money to bring in any bigtime free agents, and even the midlevel guys are going to cost a fortune this offseason with so many teams holding tons of capspace.

Hawks win 50 games next year?!

I'll take that bet.

InspiredLebowski
05-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Woodson isn't a very good coach, but I love how every fanbase that's dissatisfied with their coach without fail calls him the "worst coach in the league."

Hawksauce
05-14-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm sure he'll get another gig. He might end up in Chicago who knows. The guy has definitely done all he can with this team and one things for sure, he'll be leaving it in better shape for the next coach than when he first came to Atlanta. Even despite the horrible turn of playoff events.

Rather than good riddance, I'll say good luck to Woodson. I'm grateful for the improvement that's been made over the past few seasons, but it's definitely time for a change.... Peace sign up, A-town down sir.

tontoz
05-14-2010, 02:32 PM
This was long overdue. Casual fans can see that the Hawks offense sucks but there is a lot more going on.

The Hawks switching defense causes them even more problems. A smart team can repeatedly take advantage of mismatches when their best guards are matched up with our 4/5. Plus having our bigs on the perimeter so much kills the Hawks defensive rebounding. Of course their lack of boxing out doesn't help.

Woodson refused to tell Smith to stop shooting 3s for all those years. It was Smith that finally decided on his own to stop shooting them. However Smith is still leading the fast break far too often, mostly resulting in blown opportunities.

I am glad he is gone but i wonder if it isn't too little too late. If JJ leaves the Hawks could easily have a losing record next year.

hawksdogsbraves
05-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Woodson isn't a very good coach, but I love how every fanbase that's dissatisfied with their coach without fail calls him the "worst coach in the league."

Woodson really was the worst coach in the league. I know that Cavs fans and Heat fans say that they have the worst coach, but Woodson really, truly is (was) the worst one of all.

I'm going to throw in a quote here because I just hate Woodson.

Agent_Zero
05-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Hawks need to get Avery Johnson

hawksdogsbraves
05-14-2010, 04:12 PM

Oh god no...

CLTHornets4eva
05-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Did y'all know that Woodson is the only coach to ever improve a teams record every year for five years and be fired.
... That being said, Woodson sucks. I think Atlanta should go after Thibodeaux. He doesn't fit the Hawks style as it is now, but I think the Hawks might need to reevaluate. Thibodeaux is the best available coach, with Doug Collins a distant second.

hawkfan
05-14-2010, 09:38 PM
The problem Hawks management has is that they are not willing to spend a lot of money, so it will real hard to get an A level coach.

Woodson was fine with what he had to work with.

If Marvin Williams had done something in the Magic series - anything - the last game he had 2 points in 23 minutes and his defense was worse - at least some of the games would have been closer.

G-train
05-14-2010, 09:45 PM
I predict Mo Cheeks will be the coach.

CLTHornets4eva
05-14-2010, 10:02 PM
The problem Hawks management has is that they are not willing to spend a lot of money, so it will real hard to get an A level coach.

Woodson was fine with what he had to work with.

If Marvin Williams had done something in the Magic series - anything - the last game he had 2 points in 23 minutes and his defense was worse - at least some of the games would have been closer.

Sure blame Marvin Williams the 6th best player on the team. Joe Johnson was 17 of 57 and never scored 20 points.

Woodson had something to work with, but how many times was his play call "iso Joe"? Hawks were the 27th most efficient team out of a time out-- that is all coaching.

hawkfan
05-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Sure blame Marvin Williams the 6th best player on the team. Joe Johnson was 17 of 57 and never scored 20 points.

Woodson had something to work with, but how many times was his play call "iso Joe"? Hawks were the 27th most efficient team out of a time out-- that is all coaching.

You think I'm a JJ fan?
Ask other posters who read my posts regularly what I think the Hawks should do with JJ.

L.A. Jazz
05-15-2010, 06:06 AM
did they really quite on the coach in the Orlando series?
they looked the same in the first round but the Bucks were short handed and not firing on all guns team like the Magic. they would have lost if Bogut was healthy.
so they are by far not capable of anything in the playoffs.

hawksdogsbraves
05-15-2010, 12:09 PM
did they really quite on the coach in the Orlando series?
they looked the same in the first round but the Bucks were short handed and not firing on all guns team like the Magic. they would have lost if Bogut was healthy.
so they are by far not capable of anything in the playoffs.

It isn't for lack of talent though. We should have swept the Bucks with or without Bogut and then should have taken the Magic to 6 or 7 games. It was coaching, and the lack of motivation that came with it, that held us back.

Math2
05-15-2010, 02:47 PM

yes!!! take him off ESPN..i cant stand his voice

CLTHornets4eva
05-15-2010, 06:29 PM
You think I'm a JJ fan?
Ask other posters who read my posts regularly what I think the Hawks should do with JJ.

Whatever, you should have said SOMETHING about JJ. You don't lose because your 6th best player didn't play well, especially when he only averaged 2 less points in the playoffs and averaged more rebounds.

willds09
05-15-2010, 10:25 PM
tha departure of mr. potato head :applause:

G-train
05-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Coaching definitely factored in on the Hawks failures. However Josh Smith needs to mature and JJ is a 2nd/third cog on a good team. And you can't have Crawford as a key player and expect to win much. He isn't a winner.

willds09
05-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Coaching definitely factored in on the Hawks failures. However Josh Smith needs to mature and JJ is a 2nd/third cog on a good team. And you can't have Crawford as a key player and expect to win much. He isn't a winner.
jamal crawford tried, he's a good player, he just never been on a good team:no:

G-train
05-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Jamal Crawford is an extremely talented player. He isn't a good player. He doesn't play winning basketball. Too much one on one, too little defence, too selfish.

willds09
05-15-2010, 11:11 PM
Jamal Crawford is an extremely talented player. He isn't a good player. He doesn't play winning basketball. Too much one on one, too little defence, too selfish.
what u expect when josh smith and joe johnson acted like they didnt want to take over the games, but crawford was at least trying every game that magic/hawks series

G-train
05-15-2010, 11:18 PM
what u expect when josh smith and joe johnson acted like they didnt want to take over the games, but crawford was at least trying every game that magic/hawks series

I am talking about the entire DNA of an NBA team, not one series. If Joe Johnson is your 'best' player, Josh Smith is in your top 3 'best' players and Crawford is your 6th man playing big minutes.... then you aren't making it past 2nd round regardless of coach.

willds09
05-15-2010, 11:21 PM
I am talking about the entire DNA of an NBA team, not one series. If Joe Johnson is your 'best' player, Josh Smith is in your top 3 'best' players and Crawford is your 6th man playing big minutes.... then you aren't making it past 2nd round regardless of coach.
reguardless crawford is a good player, put him on a contending team as the 3rd or 4th best player, and you will see how good he is.

G-train
05-15-2010, 11:30 PM
I've watched him for his whole career, I don't need to see him on a contending team. I have seen him play, I am an extensive witness to his abilities.

- Bad shot selection
- Bad defence
- Over dribbles
- Over shoots

Sure he is very talented and can provide good highlights. He is great at that, thus his cult following. But he aint a winning bball player. I'd prefer Dragic or Fisher.

willds09
05-15-2010, 11:32 PM
I've watched him for his whole career, I don't need to see him on a contending team. I have seen him play, I am an extensive witness to his abilities.

- Bad shot selection
- Bad defence
- Over dribbles
- Over shoots

Sure he is very talented and can provide good highlights. He is great at that, thus his cult following. But he aint a winning bball player. I'd prefer Dragic or Fisher.
dragic??? :roll:

04mzwach
05-16-2010, 12:42 AM
Two Mikes gone in one season! SWEET!

hawksdogsbraves
05-16-2010, 12:02 PM

- Bad shot selection
- Bad defence
- Over dribbles
- Over shoots

Dragic or Fisher? Are you serious? Crawford has his flaws but he has revitalized his career since coming to the Hawks. He led the league in 4th quarter minutes for us and won a lopsided 6th man of the year race. I'm not sure why you bring up Crawford in talking about the Hawks' struggles, because he was great this season and good in the post season.

If you need someone to talk trash about on the Hawks make it Joe Johnson, 3rd team All-NBA who disappeared in the playoffs, or Mike Woodson, who clearly was the root of a lot of our problems.

CLTHornets4eva
05-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Dragic or Fisher? Are you serious? Crawford has his flaws but he has revitalized his career since coming to the Hawks. He led the league in 4th quarter minutes for us and won a lopsided 6th man of the year race. I'm not sure why you bring up Crawford in talking about the Hawks' struggles, because he was great this season and good in the post season.

If you need someone to talk trash about on the Hawks make it Joe Johnson, 3rd team All-NBA who disappeared in the playoffs, or Mike Woodson, who clearly was the root of a lot of our problems.

Im not so sure Dragic wouldn't be a good thing-- but not to replace Crawford, to replace Bibby. How much does Mike have left? He needs to be replaced, and Teague didn't play enough to be considered a starter. The problem is that he is under contract with Phoenix for another year, and he seems to be the heir apparent for Nash. I think the Hawks could replace Joe Johnson by replacing Bibby. An increase in production at the 1 coupled with Joe Crawford starting in Johnson's place could easily replace JJ,if not be more successful.

Hotlantadude81
05-16-2010, 06:18 PM
What's thee point of firing Woodson when your interviewing bargin bin trash like Dwayne Casey and scrub like Tyrone Corbin?

Agent_Zero
07-17-2010, 05:36 PM
**** you mike woodson