PDA

View Full Version : How great would a white-american superstar be for the NBA?

EastCaliChillin
05-27-2010, 05:36 PM
A guy who was on the level of Wade, Kobe & Lebron. Not a German born player like Dirk.But a full Caucasian american born NBA Superstar.
We haven't seen one since Larry Bird.

bleedinpurpleTwo
05-27-2010, 05:37 PM
ahem, cough cough, ahem.... JJ Redick

Batz
05-27-2010, 06:00 PM
inb4 nash fans.

sixerfan82
05-27-2010, 06:02 PM
inb4 nash fans.

If Nash wasn't from Canada, you might have an argument.

edit: He's actually born in South Africa.

Rowe
05-27-2010, 06:07 PM
It wouldn't really matter.

People dont care if you're white, black, hispanic, asian, etc when you play in the NBA. Its not going to make white people start watching basketball because they see an American white guy in the NBA, people arent that shallow.

EastCaliChillin
05-27-2010, 06:09 PM

People dont care if you're white, black, hispanic, asian, etc when you play in the NBA. Its not going to make white people start watching basketball because they see an American white guy in the NBA, people arent that shallow.
Come on son. This isnt a disney message board.
Yes, majority of people are that shallow

For_Three
05-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Child Please

Rowe
05-27-2010, 06:14 PM
No they aren't.

If you're a player on Wade, LeBron, or Kobe level. It does not matter what race you are, because you've proven you are a great talent regardless of it.

If a white player capable of being on that level was on the come-up, we all would've all known about him and accepted his talent by the time he even was drafted.

It would matter more if a random scrub like Joe Alexander developed into a player like that out of the blue basically. People wouldn't know how to react.

indiefan24
05-27-2010, 06:15 PM
http://www.thepeoplescube.com/images/Newsweek_Racist_Cats.jpg

EroticVanilla
05-27-2010, 06:17 PM

Thats true for a lot of people, but I'm sure you've heard people say the NBA is full of "thugs", which is really code for black people.

If you had a white college star from a prominent college go on to star in the NBA it will help with draw in some people, how much is debatable, but it would help the NBA's marketing department.

FCN
05-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Thats true for a lot of people, but I'm sure you've heard people say the NBA is full of "thugs", which is really code for black people.

Jason Williams (White Chocolate) fits the "thug" description pretty well I'd say, and he is clearly not a Black person.

Same may hold true for Chris Anderson, he strikes me as a bit thuggish (with some country mixed in perhaps).

Then on the flipside you have guys like Tim Duncan and Shane Battier.

I'm just sayin' =)

branslowski
05-27-2010, 06:24 PM
It was a bunch of them in the weak 70's...

Rowe
Thats because it is.

The perception of black NBA players are guys from poor backgrounds. Who spent 1-2 years if even any time in college coming to the NBA, covering themselves in tattoos, and living the life of a rapper. Thats because a lot of them end up doing so, but the great players in the NBA are nothing like that.

Kobe, LeBron, Wade, CP3, Deron, Duncan, Bosh, etc are nothing like that, and they get most of the media coverage for the NBA.

Unfortunately a lot of NBA benches are full of guys who fit that steriotype.

If you had a white college star from a prominent college go on to star in the NBA it will help with draw in some people, how much is debatable, but it would help the NBA's marketing department.

If a White or European or Asian player had serious amount of talent that could eventually make him a great player, most NBA fans would know about them long before they reached college. That basically = Rubio hype. We've known about Rubio since he was like 15.

What market do you market a white NBA player to? I cant think of 1. The NBA only appeals to NBA fans. Same way with black MLB players. How do you market a Ryan Howard or BJ/Justin Upton?

Batz

Sarcasm? Right?

Rowe
05-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Jason Williams (White Chocolate) fits the "thug" description pretty well I'd say, and he is clearly not a Black person.

Same may hold true for Chris Anderson, he strikes me as a bit thuggish (with some country mixed in perhaps).

I'm just sayin' =)
Well said.

Add in Brad Miller too.

There just is no market available to market a great White American NBA player. Basketball only appeals to basketball fans. And basketball fans dont give a **** what color, nationality you are.

Basketball fans only care if you are good, and aren't soft like most Euros.

sipitri
05-27-2010, 06:30 PM

Maybe not if you're white, but if you're asian(especially chinese) the whole china would become your fanbase.

Rowe
05-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Sarcasm? Right?
Nope Mr.Batz.

You're not going to throw out some great white basketball player then suddenly a random white kid from Minnesota who doesn't care much about basketball sees a great white basketball player and immediately becomes a fan of that player and the NBA.

It doesn't work that way.

Its the same way with black people and the MLB.

Rowe
05-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Maybe not if you're white, but if you're asian(especially chinese) the whole china would become your fanbase.
True.

The effect is different for overseas players than it is for Americans who have a large variety of sports to choose from.

dnyk1337
05-27-2010, 06:40 PM

child please

then why arent americans watching more soccer?

D-Rose
05-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Well said.

Add in Brad Miller too.

There just is no market available to market a great White American NBA player. Basketball only appeals to basketball fans. And basketball fans dont give a **** what color, nationality you are.

http://library.indstate.edu/newsletter/may03/j0189594.jpg

bdreason
05-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Nash definately counts as a white-American, especially considering we are talking about attracting casual fans. The casual fan doesn't care if Nash is from Canada. All they see is a 6' white guy who plays the game at a high level.

What you mean to say is, what if the NBA had a white-American player from the MIDWEST. It's the middle of the Country that would be intrigued by a white-American 'home-grown' player. And I have to admit, a superstar, white player from the Midwest would definately attract new fans.

beermonsteroo
05-27-2010, 06:52 PM
It would be the best thing which coul happen to the NBA right now. The NBA has lost almost half it's Television crowd and is no where near as popular as in the 90es or early 200s. It is a fact that the NBA lost most spectators among it's tarditional major fanbase. White middleclass men between the age of 19 to 59. Call it racist, but lot's of traditional watchers among those group can't really identify with the New hip hop driven NbA anymore.
Therefore a white american superstar certainly would be a major help in bringing back those viewer. But it would be important that he is no thug or ghetto kid, but a straight up white middle class guy.

EastCaliChillin
05-27-2010, 07:09 PM
It would be the best thing which coul happen to the NBA right now. The NBA has lost almost half it's Television crowd and is no where near as popular as in the 90es or early 200s. It is a fact that the NBA lost most spectators among it's tarditional major fanbase. White middleclass men between the age of 19 to 59. Call it racist, but lot's of traditional watchers among those group can't really identify with the New hip hop driven NbA anymore.
Therefore a white american superstar certainly would be a major help in bringing back those viewer. But it would be important that he is no thug or ghetto kid, but a straight up white middle class guy.
exactly. might be f*cked up. but its true

lilgodfather1
05-27-2010, 07:13 PM
It would be good I guess, but having another superstar couldn't hurt the NBA (just the egos of the Kobe fans).

beermonsteroo
05-27-2010, 07:13 PM
exactly. might be f*cked up. but its true

Yeah that is reality! It doesn't mean that people are racist. It's just the way human beings are. If Lebron was a white upper class snob from New England with an british accent, he would not be that popular among urban black kids too. That's the way the cookie crumbles

magnax1
05-27-2010, 07:19 PM
If a Mexican player was as good as Dwyane Wade, Kobe Bryant and Lebron James, how good would he be? Not a German Mexican. Would he be as good as Wilt?

FCN
05-27-2010, 07:21 PM
If a Mexican player was as good as Dwyane Wade, Kobe Bryant and Lebron James, how good would he be? Not a German Mexican. Would he be as good as Wilt?

:confusedshrug:

beermonsteroo
05-27-2010, 07:24 PM

German heritage doesn't seem to help you anywhere I guess? Poor Dirk lol :lol :lol

Lebron Bryant
05-27-2010, 07:28 PM
It would be the best thing which coul happen to the NBA right now. The NBA has lost almost half it's Television crowd and is no where near as popular as in the 80s 90es or early 200s. It is a fact that the NBA lost most spectators among it's tarditional major fanbase. White middleclass men between the age of 19 to 59. Call it racist, but lot's of traditional watchers among those group can't really identify with the New hip hop driven NbA anymore.

Fixed.

Lot of players in the league aren't thugs. Look at Duncan, CP3, Ray Allen, Steve Nash, Wade, and Lebron. They aren't thugs unless they think everyone that has tattoos is a thug(Lebron).

Skyscraper
05-27-2010, 07:32 PM

Tim Tebow

InspiredLebowski
05-27-2010, 07:33 PM
http://library.indstate.edu/newsletter/may03/j0189594.jpg
Because we all know how good the Pacers white American filled roster is doing in Indiana.

beermonsteroo
05-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Fixed.

Lot of players in the league aren't thugs. Look at Duncan, CP3, Ray Allen, Steve Nash, Wade, and Lebron. They aren't thugs unless they think everyone that has tattoos is a thug(Lebron).

Yes. But nevertheless the NBA has a thug image. Or let's be more precise. The whole game of basketball has a thug image. That's really the major issue. Therefore many white middle class americans feel that Basketball is a urban black sport and don't identify with the whole game anymore. A white superstar could change this image a bit.
There are not that many black hockey fans, are there?

Skyscraper
05-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Yes. But nevertheless the NBA has a thug image. Or let's be more precise. The whole game of basketball has a thug image. That's really the major issue. Therefore many white middle class americans feel that Basketball is a urban black sport and don't identify with the whole game anymore. A white superstar could change this image a bit.

The And1 moves are urban basketball.

Playing the right way apparently is good for white folk.

thejumpa
05-27-2010, 07:38 PM
In rap, Eminem pretty much did this and flipped the game on it's head. If some White guy from Nebraska or Utah or some shit was LeBron/Kobe good, it would be crazy. Of course, the chances of this happening are slim seeing as they don't have the genes Black people do.....which is pretty big if you are trying to play pro ball. I really would love to see it happen though.

MrUnstopable
05-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Tim Tebow
Different sport. Football is a lot about display of emotions. Tebow does that with the best. Also if a player did what Tebow does on the football field on a basketball court... people would think said player was a thug/crazy... And YES it does matter what I just said because that is the appeal of Tebow.

VIP2000
05-27-2010, 08:02 PM
There have been plenty of white american superstars in the past two decades...

Larry Bird
Tom Chambers
John Stockton
Bryant "Big Country" Reeves
Greg Ostertag
Mark Madsen
Brian Scalabrine
Chris Mihm
That Notre Dame stud that was on the Magic

Skyscraper
05-27-2010, 08:08 PM
There have been plenty of white american superstars in the past two decades...

Larry Bird
Tom Chambers
John Stockton
Bryant "Big Country" Reeves
Greg Ostertag
Mark Madsen
Brian Scalabrine
Chris Mihm
That Notre Dame stud that was on the Magic

Aside from Bird, you may want to check your definition of superstar

(Stockton may be a HoF, but can anyone say he had superstar appeal?)

Jumpman10135
05-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Aside from Bird, you may want to check your definition of superstar

(Stockton may be a HoF, but can anyone say he had superstar appeal?)
Stockton was a superstar. Not the others though.

Skyscraper
05-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Stockton was a superstar. Not the others though.

perhaps... but superstar is not limited to talent alone

(it's not like there is an ordinal ranking system in which it goes by the NBA video game difficulty levels of

Veteran -> All Star -> Superstar -> Hall of Fame)

It seems to be a superstar, the player needs wide commercial appeal to go along with meta-All Star abilities.

Go Getter
05-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Sarcasm? Right?

Has to be, lol.

The NBA would LOVE for a 'white american' superstar to emerge...and why not?

Most of the NBA's paying customers are 'white' and they would naturally attach to a player that looks like them and they could relate to....nothing wrong with that.

Skyscraper
05-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Has to be, lol.

The NBA would LOVE for a 'white american' superstar to emerge...and why not?

Most of the NBA's paying customers are 'white' and they would naturally attach to a player that looks like them and they could relate to....nothing wrong with that.

I am sure most of the NBA's paying customer love Kobe or Lebron, or their hometown star just fine.

Maybe the NBA would draw even more fans if a superstar white guy with the charm of Tom Brady and the humility of Tim Tebow were to come about...

maybe that's why football is so popular, despite requiring far less skill than being a basketball player!!!!!

Go Getter
05-27-2010, 08:31 PM
I am sure most of the NBA's paying customer love Kobe or Lebron, or their hometown star just fine.

Maybe the NBA would draw even more fans if a superstar white guy with the charm of Tom Brady and the humility of Tim Tebow were to come about...

maybe that's why football is so popular, despite requiring far less skill than being a basketball player!!!!!

Your point is weak.

I didn't say that ppl don't love Bron and Kobe...I'm saying that if Bron and Kobe were white they'd have more fans and it would be financially beneficial the league...think about the NBA's golden age....it was built of off Bird vs. Magic.

Caucasians would be more apt to follow a superstar that looked like them...it's not a knock...it's natural....AI was the man in 'the hood' because we could relate to him.

Funnyfuka
05-27-2010, 08:44 PM

exactly. As a white man i like it more when a white player scores, than when it s a black player.

You dont change million years of evolution in a finger snap.

Rowe
05-27-2010, 09:02 PM
Who do you think make up the crowd at NBA games?

You cant be serious to think that the only people watching basketball are minorities. The age group of 19-59 is way too broad to be measured, its actually not measured anyways. You're talking white males 19-35 to be more exact. Yes, there are still a large portion of NBA fans between that age group.

What people don't accept or understand is that for a lot of people, black and white alike. Football is gradually becoming far and away #1 while basketball/baseball remains interchangeable at #2 and #3.

dirkdiggler41
05-27-2010, 09:03 PM
I dont live in the states, so I dont know. What we can ask ourself is how did Eminem effect the hip hop industry when it came to white fans?

TrueRob
05-27-2010, 09:04 PM
A dominant white-american player would certainly sell the most jerseys. :lol But, the main reason why we probably won't see one is because there just aren't a lot of white american kids that grow up playing basketball religiously with dreams of making it to the NBA.

dirkdiggler41
05-27-2010, 09:04 PM
exactly. As a white man i like it more when a white player scores, than when it s a black player.

What does evolution has to do with anything? What do you mean?

Rowe
05-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Caucasians would be more apt to follow a superstar that looked like them...it's not a knock...it's natural....AI was the man in 'the hood' because we could relate to him.
Im sorry but Steve Nash still plays in the NBA, you're point is weak.

AI was the man in "the hood" because he was open about it and let it be known thats who and what he was, not to mention he had a unique game with a streetball influence. First NBA player to really bring the new age streetball to the NBA. AI's emergence as a basketball player coincided with the emergence of the mainstream "thug bling" era in Hip Hop.

RonRon37
05-27-2010, 09:10 PM
im the next great superstar in basketball . Im really good at basketball even tho Im a pro boxer. when im done with my boxing career after i win a few fights my next goal is to go play for the NBDL then possibly make the NBA and play for the LA lakers. im serious it never hurts to try the worse thing thatll happen is Ill get cut. But the best thing thatll happen is when Kobe retires the lakers have a replacement at SG Charlie Z im 6'0 tall so id be like a iverson type shooting guard. Im a spot up shooter like stephen jackson, ray allen, paul pierce, rashard lewis. thats how I play

RonRon37
05-27-2010, 09:12 PM
dont believe me heres a video of me Knocking down non stop threes. Im like the white ray allen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq1UlyvlSRw

Rowe
A dominant white-american player would certainly sell the most jerseys. :lol But, the main reason why we probably won't see one is because there just aren't a lot of white american kids that grow up playing basketball religiously with dreams of making it to the NBA.
Exactly.

Basketball is just not as popular in white America because the gradual change of basketball has made size and athletic ability extremely important, and developing your skills at it without having those key attributes is pointless. Those are basically the walk-ons on college teams like Mark Titus. Whites tend to gravitate towards football and baseball, although athletic ability and size is important in these sports your skill can outweigh those. I bet that some pitchers in MLB have a 20' vertical and run a 5.5, but they can throw 91 MPH and make several million.

This is precisely why soccer hasn't taken off in the states. You have to have both good athletic ability along with great skill. Which is why soccer in the US is what it is today.

ShaqAttack3234
im the next great superstar in basketball . Im really good at basketball even tho Im a pro boxer. when im done with my boxing career after i win a few fights my next goal is to go play for the NBDL then possibly make the NBA and play for the LA lakers. im serious it never hurts to try the worse thing thatll happen is Ill get cut. But the best thing thatll happen is when Kobe retires the lakers have a replacement at SG Charlie Z im 6'0 tall so id be like a iverson type shooting guard. Im a spot up shooter like stephen jackson, ray allen, paul pierce, rashard lewis. thats how I play
:roll:

Jasper
A guy who was on the level of Wade, Kobe & Lebron. Not a German born player like Dirk.But a full Caucasian american born NBA Superstar.
We haven't seen one since Larry Bird.

This isn't like the best Chineese thing -Yao Ming setting the league on fire is it :confusedshrug:

RonRon37
05-27-2010, 09:14 PM
after i win my next pro fight i might win a few more. then try out for the NBA...... if u make 8 three pointers in a pick Up game at the park 8 treys in a row with a defender in your face then you got skillz and I did that before .

heres a video of me playing basketball

Jasper
05-27-2010, 09:16 PM

Would this be the same type person that would say " Nash was born in Africa , so he's a blackman's white man " :wtf:

:oldlol:

Rowe
05-27-2010, 09:17 PM

Most black people will never play hockey because hockey is a sport thats only available to the upper class in America, only in the Northern regions.

The NBA reached its peak during the Jordan years, years after Bird retired and there wasn't anybody white going to ASG's other than Dan Majerle.

bballer
05-27-2010, 09:19 PM
inb4 nash fans.
inb4 nash is from canada

Go Getter
05-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Im sorry but Steve Nash still plays in the NBA, you're point is weak.

AI was the man in "the hood" because he was open about it and let it be known thats who and what he was, not to mention he had a unique game with a streetball influence. First NBA player to really bring the new age streetball to the NBA. AI's emergence as a basketball player coincided with the emergence of the mainstream "thug bling" era in Hip Hop.

Wrong sonny.

Steve Nash is not a superstar....my girl and my moms have no clue he is but they know who AI is and he hasn't been relevant in the league like Nash for years.

AI was mega-popular because of his game [which was 'street'] but moreso his image and attitude.

He wore braids when most blacks had to cut their hair to get a good job and be successful.

He didn't apologize for or downplay who he was.

He dressed [sans jewelry] just like an average black man from an urban area.

There is no thug/bling era man that ridiculous...I don't even know how to debate that.

Jasper
05-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Most black people will never play hockey because hockey is a sport thats only available to the upper class in America, only in the Northern regions.

The NBA reached its peak during the Jordan years, years after Bird retired and there wasn't anybody white going to ASG's other than Dan Majerle.

BULL is back - under a new pen name !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where you been ???

Go Getter
05-27-2010, 09:34 PM

Most black people will never play hockey because we don't like that shit...we tend to like warm weather sports.

I went to a hockey school and played hockey in gym class and the blacks at my school had the opportunity to play but no one did.

Maybe it was the stigma behind the game but I doubt it....watch Cool Runnings bruh, lol.

More blacks live in Chicago and NY and LA and if they WANTED to play hockey they could....look up the amount of disposable income that African Americans put into the economy....blacks just don't care about the sport just like the rest of the earth besides America couldn't care less about football.

They could play it but they choose not to.

With that said playing hockey is expensive and a lot of poor people might not be able to enjoy it....but rich blacks don't enjoy hockey so that point is moot.

Jasper
05-27-2010, 09:36 PM
One of the best Wisconsin Badger hockey players is black ....

you guys are really something , and you guys are the new generation :eek:

Showtime
05-27-2010, 09:38 PM
nino por favor

Go Getter
05-27-2010, 09:39 PM
One of the best Wisconsin Badger hockey players is black ....

you guys are really something , and you guys are the new generation :eek:

I'm from the south side of Chicago and I went to a boarding school in IN.

I do not know one black person that plays hockey.

To say that the decendants of Africa and Africans tend to like warm weather sports better than cold weather ones is a fact.

InspiredLebowski
05-27-2010, 09:57 PM
InsideHoops has an odd obsession with race

godofgods
05-27-2010, 09:59 PM
***** pleaze. America is full of racists, a white american superstar won't mean shit.

Go Getter
05-27-2010, 10:06 PM
***** pleaze. America is full of racists, a white american superstar won't mean shit.

What? Of course it won't clean up the oil spill, fix the economy, and make Ann Coulter stfu....but it would make the NBA more appealing to the casual fans and those with racial pride.

None of which I think is bad when asserted the right way.

Yao Ming doesn't lead the league in AS votes every year because he is tall or even because he is that good...he does it because Chinese ppl back him.

Samurai Swoosh
05-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Yao Ming doesn't lead the league in AS votes every year because he is tall or even because he is that good...he does it because Chinese ppl back him.
He really isn't that good ... that's what is so funny about it.

ShaqAttack3234
05-27-2010, 10:16 PM
He really isn't that good ... that's what is so funny about it.

Before the injuries started to pile up, Yao was a great player.

Rowe
05-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Wrong sonny.

Steve Nash is not a superstar....my girl and my moms have no clue he is but they know who AI is and he hasn't been relevant in the league like Nash for years.

AI was mega-popular because of his game [which was 'street'] but moreso his image and attitude.

He wore braids when most blacks had to cut their hair to get a good job and be successful.

He didn't apologize for or downplay who he was.

He dressed [sans jewelry] just like an average black man from an urban area.

There is no thug/bling era man that ridiculous...I don't even know how to debate that.

***** please.

The thug/bling era was in 1999-2003. Go back and look at Hip Hop in those years.

That is around when AI came to rise up as a basketball player, he fit perfectly with the times.

Steve Nash isn't a superstar because Steve Nash plays in Phoenix. AI played in Philly, a major basketball market.

GiveItToBurrito
05-27-2010, 10:22 PM
I don't think it would matter. That said, Brad Miller needs to become the face of basketball and a universal choice for greatest of all time.

Rowe
05-27-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm from the south side of Chicago and I went to a boarding school in IN.

I do not know one black person that plays hockey.

To say that the decendants of Africa and Africans tend to like warm weather sports better than cold weather ones is a fact.
Proven fact.

Its more popular in Canada because Hockey is a key part of Canadian culture, and the Canadians of African descent play it not in huge numbers but they play it.

Theres a solid amount of Black NHL players.

Rowe
05-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Most black people will never play hockey because we don't like that shit...we tend to like warm weather sports.

I went to a hockey school and played hockey in gym class and the blacks at my school had the opportunity to play but no one did.

Maybe it was the stigma behind the game but I doubt it....watch Cool Runnings bruh, lol.

More blacks live in Chicago and NY and LA and if they WANTED to play hockey they could....look up the amount of disposable income that African Americans put into the economy....blacks just don't care about the sport just like the rest of the earth besides America couldn't care less about football.

With that said playing hockey is expensive and a lot of poor people might not be able to enjoy it....but rich blacks don't enjoy hockey so that point is moot.
Well said.

dirkdiggler41
05-27-2010, 10:41 PM

What if the NHL had 80% black players in it? We would suddenly see a lot more black enjoying hockey. The reason why got a lot of answears, but I think the main reason is becaus we act in groups. If you had a society with 100 people, all black. 80% of them liked hockey, 15% I like basketball, 5% like ballet. When you are born into this society, do you think you will end up liking ballet, basketball or ballet? My point is that we as humans dont like to be different, its harder, it can make us get thrown out from different social groups, just like if you liked ballet. Do you think you would lose a lot of friends or atleast lose contact with them if you started to dance ballet? Would you feel less black if you did? Do any of you idoles dance ballet?

Sorry for my english, but I hope you got my point :)

Go Getter
05-27-2010, 11:10 PM
***** please.

The thug/bling era was in 1999-2003. Go back and look at Hip Hop in those years.

That is around when AI came to rise up as a basketball player, he fit perfectly with the times.

Steve Nash isn't a superstar because Steve Nash plays in Phoenix. AI played in Philly, a major basketball market.

We'll have to disagree on this one sir.

I think the image of the NBA has improved due to Stern being very careful and a little restrictive.

Players like Z-Bo are still thuggish and guys still wear huge diamond earrings and hip-hop is still associated with basketball.

I don't like the terminology so maybe if you could explain what you mean by the 'bling bling' era but I doubt I'd agree because I don't think era's are defined by things so trivial and hard to pinpoint.

If AI played in Phoenix he still would have been a superstar he just had the game, look, and edge...and he came about at the right time.

Nash isn't as marketable to kids as AI was as well.

Go Getter
05-27-2010, 11:15 PM
What if the NHL had 80% black players in it? We would suddenly see a lot more black enjoying hockey. The reason why got a lot of answears, but I think the main reason is becaus we act in groups. If you had a society with 100 people, all black. 80% of them liked hockey, 15% I like basketball, 5% like ballet. When you are born into this society, do you think you will end up liking ballet, basketball or ballet? My point is that we as humans dont like to be different, its harder, it can make us get thrown out from different social groups, just like if you liked ballet. Do you think you would lose a lot of friends or atleast lose contact with them if you started to dance ballet? Would you feel less black if you did? Do any of you idoles dance ballet?

80% of blacks would never enjoy hockey because ppl of African decent dislike cold weather.

I will agree that you have a point about the stigmas behind the sport and the way youngsters tend to follow what seems cool and culturally acceptable but be real...most Jamaicans and Africans are not going to like cold weather sports.

Samurai Swoosh
05-27-2010, 11:16 PM
Before the injuries started to pile up, Yao was a great player.
Good? Sure. Great? **** outta here.

momo
05-28-2010, 12:07 AM
I do not think it would matter nearly as much as some posters seem to think it would. The guy would be popular and might help TV in some demographics, but that is about it.

godofgods
05-28-2010, 12:26 AM
Nash isn't as popular as AI because he's white. Period.

Hating on Yao's all star votes = racist.

beermonsteroo
05-28-2010, 04:27 AM

Exactly. But if there would be one or two black supertsars in hockey, and the rosters would be loaded with 40 percent black players. You can bet your money that blacks would start to follow it. Same thing in Basketball.
True the NBA peaked under Jordan and there where not more white player then there are today. But till, the game of Basketball had a different appearance back then, and guys like Michael Jordan Karl Malone David Robertson Patrick Ewing Clyde Drexler Magic and so on had a rather white attitude and appearance

beermonsteroo
05-28-2010, 04:30 AM

Very well said!

ShaqAttack3234
05-28-2010, 04:36 AM
Good? Sure. Great? **** outta here.

What do you call a 22-25 ppg, 10 rpg big man with a polished offensive game including a turnaround jumper and mid-range jumper all of which are almost unblockable and consistent, plus the ability to hit free throws consistently at 85+% as well as the ability to pass and block shits?

I call that great. Before injuries in 2006-2007, Yao was averaging 27/10/2/2 on 52% from the field and 87% from the line while leading Houston to a 16-10 record despite T-Mac missing games and averaging an inefficient 19 ppg during that time.

If you don't think Yao was great in 2007 and 2008 when he was healthy then you don't know shit about basketball.

Bigsmoke
05-28-2010, 04:45 AM

how would it be a problem when the U.S. is 75% white?

Freshprince619
05-28-2010, 05:16 AM

Incorrect Nash is a Lame. No swag what so ever

Go Getter
05-28-2010, 05:43 AM
Exactly. But if there would be one or two black supertsars in hockey, and the rosters would be loaded with 40 percent black players. You can bet your money that blacks would start to follow it. Same thing in Basketball.
True the NBA peaked under Jordan and there where not more white player then there are today. But till, the game of Basketball had a different appearance back then, and guys like Michael Jordan Karl Malone David Robertson Patrick Ewing Clyde Drexler Magic and so on had a rather white attitude and appearance

I don't think so.

Just like soccer is a part of latin culture basketball is a part of black american culture.

Blacks have become more and more assimilated to Americajn culture so of course you see more blacks in club sports and hockey.

But due to many factors [that I've already stated] blacks will not be playing hockey en masse.

Go Getter
05-28-2010, 05:45 AM
What do you call a 22-25 ppg, 10 rpg big man with a polished offensive game including a turnaround jumper and mid-range jumper all of which are almost unblockable and consistent, plus the ability to hit free throws consistently at 85+% as well as the ability to pass and block shits?

I call that great. Before injuries in 2006-2007, Yao was averaging 27/10/2/2 on 52% from the field and 87% from the line while leading Houston to a 16-10 record despite T-Mac missing games and averaging an inefficient 19 ppg during that time.

If you don't think Yao was great in 2007 and 2008 when he was healthy then you don't know shit about basketball.

Yao is a great player sans injury but he's always injured.

I mentioned Yao wasn't "that good" to talk about how he was far and away the most voted for player for the ASG for years and that's because China supported him....great player but not near as good as the voting would suggest.

Niquesports
05-28-2010, 05:56 AM
Exactly.

Basketball is just not as popular in white America because the gradual change of basketball has made size and athletic ability extremely important, and developing your skills at it without having those key attributes is pointless. Those are basically the walk-ons on college teams like Mark Titus. Whites tend to gravitate towards football and baseball, although athletic ability and size is important in these sports your skill can outweigh those. I bet that some pitchers in MLB have a 20' vertical and run a 5.5, but they can throw 91 MPH and make several million.

This is precisely why soccer hasn't taken off in the states. You have to have both good athletic ability along with great skill. Which is why soccer in the US is what it is today.
I don't believe you mean any harm but this is a racist post. You don't think it takes skill to shoot a 3pt and make 40% of them how bout ball handling ect.

Niquesports
05-28-2010, 06:06 AM
This silly logic of why blacks don't like or play hockey is silly. If we agree that many of the top. Black athelets come from urban areas how many ice rinks have you seen in a urban area ? Also hockey takes too much equipment to play . 10 guys on a court can play basketball and all that's needed is a ball in hockey you need sticks,golie equipment skates this is the real reason blacks do play as a black guy that lives in an urban area trust me black kids love street hockey given a chance to play on ice would improve the interesr

Button
05-28-2010, 06:11 AM
is kevin love american? cous i see him doing great things in the nba in a phew years

Go Getter
05-28-2010, 06:25 AM
0ops

Go Getter
05-28-2010, 06:26 AM
is kevin love american? cous i see him doing great things in the nba in a phew years

I want Kevin Love on the Bulls for some reason...well a few to be honest.

If we add Love, Morrow, and another FA I'd be estatic...wait a year and get Melo...:bowdown:

Qwertyazerty
05-28-2010, 06:27 AM
Always look at the bright side of life!!!

If you want to feel better because someone sharing a minimal part of his genetics with you is great at something you'll never be, then think that mulattos are at least partially white

Lebron Bryant
05-28-2010, 06:44 AM

The game was different back then as well.

ShaqAttack3234
05-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Yao is a great player sans injury but he's always injured.

I mentioned Yao wasn't "that good" to talk about how he was far and away the most voted for player for the ASG for years and that's because China supported him....great player but not near as good as the voting would suggest.

I agree about the all-star votes. Look back at Yao's rookie season. He averaged something like 13/8, Shaq averaged 27-28 ppg, 11+ rpg, 3+ apg and 2.4 bpg, yet Yao was voted the starter. Even the following year, Yao was a 17/9 player, iirc and Shaq averaged 21-22 ppg, 11-12 rpg, 3 apg and 2.5 bpg, yet Yao was again voted in as the starter.

rfoster24
05-28-2010, 01:02 PM

I'm just sayin' =)

Shit Chris Anderson is a thug that whole team is. The Thuggets haha.

artex
05-28-2010, 01:05 PM
the governments gonna have to start injecting embryos with hgh for this to ever happen

Sakkreth
05-28-2010, 01:36 PM
dont believe me heres a video of me Knocking down non stop threes. Im like the white ray allen

After i red ur post i thought that u gotta look something like "that" retard in the video, btw u are very slow and defender is sleeping, u throw ball from ur chest like a girl, u almost lost ur shorts which are nearly pants. U are a clown.

Lebron Bryant
05-28-2010, 02:21 PM
I wonder why they aren't lot of white-americans in the NBA. I see lot of kids playing that are white outside.

Micku
05-28-2010, 02:50 PM
I'm surprised that there aren't more. The NBA do have some good white players, but I don't think any of them hit the superstar status like the current ones. I think the most popular white NBA player right now is Steve Nash.

I don't know when the NBA will get a white America superstar. I wonder if the NBA will have players like they did in the 80s when it was more balance with white and black. But the current NBA have more international players.

Lakas Fan Yo
05-28-2010, 03:12 PM
No they aren't.

If you're a player on Wade, LeBron, or Kobe level. It does not matter what race you are, because you've proven you are a great talent regardless of it.

If a white player capable of being on that level was on the come-up, we all would've all known about him and accepted his talent by the time he even was drafted.

It would matter more if a random scrub like Joe Alexander developed into a player like that out of the blue basically. People wouldn't know how to react.

You have got to be freaking kidding. Vast majority of NBA fans are racist against any player that is not both black and American.

Lakas Fan Yo
05-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Thats because it is.

The perception of black NBA players are guys from poor backgrounds. Who spent 1-2 years if even any time in college coming to the NBA, covering themselves in tattoos, and living the life of a rapper. Thats because a lot of them end up doing so, but the great players in the NBA are nothing like that.

Kobe, LeBron, Wade, CP3, Deron, Duncan, Bosh, etc are nothing like that, and they get most of the media coverage for the NBA.

Unfortunately a lot of NBA benches are full of guys who fit that steriotype.

WTF? Kobe, Deron, and LeBron are covered in tattoos.

Lakas Fan Yo
05-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Well said.

Add in Brad Miller too.

You just made a racist statement, which 99% of NBA fans also agree with. And yet you are claiming no NBA fans are racist.:lol :lol :lol :roll:

Micku
05-28-2010, 03:17 PM
You have got to be freaking kidding. Vast majority of NBA fans are racist against any player that is not both black and American.
They are? They hating on Dirk, Tony Parker, Pau Gasol, Manu, Yao, and Steve Nash?

Lakas Fan Yo
05-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Exactly.

STFU you racist. Blacks in the US are no more athletic than whites in the US or Europe. How the hell is all this racist crap always allowed in this forum?

magnax1
05-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Really, I don't see why it matters at all. People who don't like the NBA aren't going to say "Hey look that white guy doesn't suck! I like Basketball now."
It just doesn't really matter what so ever.

Lakas Fan Yo
05-28-2010, 03:25 PM

Hating on Yao's all star votes = racist.

Yep. This forum really needs to clean up the racist crap that is always on it.

Lakas Fan Yo
05-28-2010, 03:26 PM
how would it be a problem when the U.S. is 75% white?

The NBA is called "the black man's sport". In this very thread people openly state that whites are not athletic and that Euros are soft. That's why.

Jumpman10135
05-28-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm not gonna lie, I am a little racist. Growing up in a all white area thats how it is. It seems everytime I see a black it is out of down and generally they have there head up there asses and you can tell a good 75% percent of them are up to know good. That is why I would love to see a level headed white baller. Like a Steve Nash or Larry Bird.

Hippie Joe
05-28-2010, 03:28 PM
No such thing as a great white American.

Lakas Fan Yo
05-28-2010, 03:29 PM
They are? They hating on Dirk, Tony Parker, Pau Gasol, Manu, Yao, and Steve Nash?

I will just assume you live in a cave.

Jumpman10135
05-28-2010, 03:30 PM
No such thing as a great white American.
Jesus was white.

pegasus
05-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Jesus was white.

I haven't followed the tale of Jesus in recent years; is he considered American now? Well, he came back from death, why not change his nationality?

Lebron Bryant
05-28-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm not gonna lie, I am a little racist. Growing up in a all white area thats how it is. It seems everytime I see a black it is out of down and generally they have there head up there asses and you can tell a good 75% percent of them are up to know good. That is why I would love to see a level headed white baller. Like a Steve Nash or Larry Bird.

Steve Nash is playing right now. Why is he not that huge compare to the black players.

SEEBASS1234
05-28-2010, 04:54 PM
after i win my next pro fight i might win a few more. then try out for the NBA...... if u make 8 three pointers in a pick Up game at the park 8 treys in a row with a defender in your face then you got skillz and I did that before .

heres a video of me playing basketball

i can't tell if you're serious or not

dirkdiggler41
05-28-2010, 05:26 PM
80% of blacks would never enjoy hockey because ppl of African decent dislike cold weather.

I will agree that you have a point about the stigmas behind the sport and the way youngsters tend to follow what seems cool and culturally acceptable but be real...most Jamaicans and Africans are not going to like cold weather sports.

I would love to see the research done on this, that genetics counts more to what sport a person choose to play versus how the environment influence him.

Go Getter
05-28-2010, 06:32 PM
I would love to see the research done on this, that genetics counts more to what sport a person choose to play versus how the environment influence him.

Not genetics but ancestry/heritage/location.

There is no way that you are going to get blacks or people from African decent, that mostly live in Africa....to enjoy cold weather sports en masse.

The blacks in America and Canada and the UK are assimilated to western culture. But make no mistake even American blacks {not speaking for everyone but you know} are not as fond of cold weather sports as some other nationalities.

When have you ever seen a black man in a Polar Bear Club?

Is the disparity between the amount of blacks in the Summer Games than there is in the Winter games not enough?

I'm in Utah now and the influence is to go to the resorts and ski. There are 2 nice parks here to play basketball and the circle of people that play ball here is much smaller than the one that skis and snowboards.

We have "Ski Utah" on our plates.

I can't lie I know a couple brothers that ski/snowboard.

But people act like snowboarding is so much more expensive than basketball and blacks can't do it because it's so expensive but "oh once you go you'll be hooked."

I COULD go to Brighton for months for like $80 and borrow a board or rent equipment.

Most cats spend more than $80 on shoes and $10-30 bucks on basketball shorts. Then you have a $40 ball, head band, wrist band, shooting sleeve, whatever these cats wear these days.

Go Getter
05-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Steve Nash is playing right now. Why is he not that huge compare to the black players.

1. Not charismatic, or at least not on a scale to make up for other things {below}
2. Not contraversial
3. Was not well known in college; started out his career slowly
4. Is highly overrated by fans and pundits, plays no D, teams never win
5. Plays in a smaller market {which doesn't help}
6. Doesn't appeal to kids.
7. I'm going to hear it for this post

Tony Parker has won multiple titles, he's married to an actress, has a FINALS MVP...and he's not HUGE.

People need to realize we're talking about superstar qualities here...that means on and off the court.

If Steve Nash could play D and looked like Kyle Korver he'd be a superstar no doubt.

Jasper
05-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Love these factual threads about race and sports ...
according to some , cold climate sports certain races will not play , but those same regions have summer sports and the same races don't play those sports :eek:

if we all agree a sport such as football has all races in volved , than how come Rugby isn't injoyed by all races here in the States while in Europe it is one of the more popular sports. :confusedshrug:

We need to put all these great threads into a Racist Forum , and let everyone go at it :lol

AK47DR91
05-28-2010, 06:42 PM
David Lee is our modern-day great white American hope right now, and the Knicks f-king it up for being such a garbage team.

northwinds
05-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Nope Mr.Batz.

You're not going to throw out some great white basketball player then suddenly a random white kid from Minnesota who doesn't care much about basketball sees a great white basketball player and immediately becomes a fan of that player and the NBA.

It doesn't work that way.

Its the same way with black people and the MLB.

You are absolutely right...when Jackie Robinson broke into MLB black people across America didn't notice or cheer for the Brooklyn Dodgers....and no Chinese folks even noticed Yao coming into the league......sarcasm off. Why is it people assume that European-Americans are the only folks on the planet that don't have any sort of ethnic pride? Its really hilarious.

Go Getter
05-28-2010, 07:29 PM
David Lee is our modern-day great white American hope right now, and the Knicks f-king it up for being such a garbage team.
http://post.portlandmercury.com/images/blogimages/2010/02/01/1265077403-adam-morrison3.jpeg

Go Getter
05-28-2010, 07:37 PM
You are absolutely right...when Jackie Robinson broke into MLB black people across America didn't notice or cheer for the Brooklyn Dodgers....and no Chinese folks even noticed Yao coming into the league......sarcasm off. Why is it people assume that European-Americans are the only folks on the planet that don't have any sort of ethnic pride? Its really hilarious.

Thank you...

Like there isn't going to be ethnic pride at the World Cup?:confusedshrug:

Lebron Bryant
05-28-2010, 07:51 PM
1. Not charismatic, or at least not on a scale to make up for other things {below}
2. Not contraversial
3. Was not well known in college; started out his career slowly
4. Is highly overrated by fans and pundits, plays no D, teams never win
5. Plays in a smaller market {which doesn't help}
6. Doesn't appeal to kids.
7. I'm going to hear it for this post

Tony Parker has won multiple titles, he's married to an actress, has a FINALS MVP...and he's not HUGE.

People need to realize we're talking about superstar qualities here...that means on and off the court.

If Steve Nash could play D and looked like Kyle Korver he'd be a superstar no doubt.

Good reasons there. There will be a great white US player but not at the monment.

Derka
05-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Why the hell does a player's color matter at all?

Sticks
05-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Why the hell does a player's color matter at all?

Because people still see the world in Black and White.

Kobe8
05-28-2010, 09:01 PM

What bout' Yao Ming?

Asian People Started watchin NBA ever since Yao got drafted.. im not saying all Asians , but the number of FANS has increased over the years he has played in the NBA.

Rowe
05-28-2010, 09:35 PM
I don't believe you mean any harm but this is a racist post. You don't think it takes skill to shoot a 3pt and make 40% of them how bout ball handling ect.
I'm African American btw.

The best ballhandler and the best 3 PT shooter doesn't make the NBA. There are guys out there playing streetball who have as good if not a better handle than CP3 or Rondo or Williams or AI, the problem is that they dont have anything else that it takes to be a NBA player. Same with guys who are great shooters, its a skill that can be practiced daily, but if you dont have anything natural in your favor then you wont go far with it. You'll just be that guy at the YMCA who can shoot from anywhere on the court.

Rowe
05-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Thank you...

Like there isn't going to be ethnic pride at the World Cup?:confusedshrug:
You're confusing ethnic pride with national pride.

Btw Willie O'Ree became the first black player to break into the NHL in 1958, I bet you didn't even know because most people don't care.

gmoney9
05-28-2010, 09:52 PM
i don't think a great white-american player would have the same impact as Tiger Woods in golf did w/ african american fans, but it would definitey be beneficial to the nba & draw in fans

Myth
05-28-2010, 10:03 PM
If Nash wasn't from Canada, you might have an argument.

edit: He's actually born in South Africa.

Though Nash isn't from the United States, he is a guy that the average white American can relate to. He is a relatively normal sized guy that isn't throwing down monster dunks, then when he is interviewed, he doesn't have some thick accent like Dirk. Because of this, I think a white American superstar would have no more impact than Nash does on the NBA fanbase. UNLESS, we are talking about a guy on Kobe/LeBron's level. The MVPs that Nash won are nice for publicity, but even then, nobody viewed him as the best player in the NBA. I think if there were a white guy doing what LeBron or Kobe do, THEN there would be a large impact.

Lebron Bryant
05-28-2010, 10:06 PM
What bout' Yao Ming?

Asian People Started watchin NBA ever since Yao got drafted.. im not saying all Asians , but the number of FANS has increased over the years he has played in the NBA.

Asians have got into lot more than 30 years ago in China, because of Yao Ming.

konex
05-28-2010, 10:14 PM
I think it would be huge for the league. There are many folks who only watch college ball because they can't "identify" with NBA players...

AK47DR91
05-28-2010, 10:19 PM
I think it would be huge for the league. There are many folks who only watch college ball because they can't "identify" with NBA players...

Very true for most "older" basketball fans I talk to.

The "thug label" and hip-hop influences did drove away a lot of the fans from the 80's and early 90's.

Lebron Bryant
05-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Very true for most "older" basketball fans I talk to.

The "thug label" and hip-hop influences did drove away a lot of the fans from the 80's and early 90's.

Really? I would think it was more 99-05 era that drove old fans away from bball.

Swaggin916
05-28-2010, 10:59 PM
It really wouldn't matter much to me... but I guess it would be nice to see. The majority of white people are not long lanky ass mofos like a lot of black people tho... nor are they particularly quick when they get to 6'5 plus... so the natural gifts aren't really there so it's hard to get to that level.

Honestly tho there is no excuse... there are plenty of foreign born white players who very good players... and there are no white American born good players. To me, that tells me that American born white players either have some sort of mental block.

Go Getter
05-29-2010, 12:28 AM
You're confusing ethnic pride with national pride.

Btw Willie O'Ree became the first black player to break into the NHL in 1958, I bet you didn't even know because most people don't care.

Ethnic and national pride go hand in hand.

And yes, I did not know that further accentuating my point.

Tool
05-29-2010, 01:00 AM

Just take China as an example, they wouldn't all be watching if they didn't have some tall ass dude name Yi over here oh my back his name is Yao. That whole season he missed just threw me waaay off. I guess Yi has the potential to become a star still yeah?

Jinxed
05-29-2010, 01:39 AM
It wouldn't mean sh!t unless he had a personality that could be MARKETED.

It's marketing..NBA,TNT,NIKE, Highlight reels.

John Stockton was amazing. On the Dream Team..etc... no one cared..why? because he wasn't charismatic. Short shorts and a old man haircut don't sell. Neither does perfect basketball fundamentals.

THat's why Kobe, Lebron are huge stars and not Timmy D. Highlight reels. Soundbites. Shoes.

No one knew who John Stockton was unless they were huge basketball fan...

watch this...John Stockton walking through a crowded street and no one recognized him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TasbJm2Lnk

Lakas Fan Yo
05-29-2010, 04:04 AM
It really wouldn't matter much to me... but I guess it would be nice to see. The majority of white people are not long lanky ass mofos like a lot of black people tho... nor are they particularly quick when they get to 6'5 plus... so the natural gifts aren't really there so it's hard to get to that level.

Honestly tho there is no excuse... there are plenty of foreign born white players who very good players... and there are no white American born good players. To me, that tells me that American born white players either have some sort of mental block.

Why are all these racist comments allowed here?

YouGotServed
05-29-2010, 04:17 AM
Why are all these racist comments allowed here?

:roll: :roll:

Niquesports
05-29-2010, 06:11 AM
I'm African American btw.

The best ballhandler and the best 3 PT shooter doesn't make the NBA. There are guys out there playing streetball who have as good if not a better handle than CP3 or Rondo or Williams or AI, the problem is that they dont have anything else that it takes to be a NBA player. Same with guys who are great shooters, its a skill that can be practiced daily, but if you dont have anything natural in your favor then you wont go far with it. You'll just be that guy at the YMCA who can shoot from anywhere on the court.
I wasn't call u a racist I was saying that a racist stero type people have that black athelets are just gifted. What makes Paul better than that street legend is his skill of the game. What makes kobe better than VC not his natural gift which I would say are equal but his skills of playing the game

Niquesports
05-29-2010, 06:18 AM
Jesus was white.
Jesus was mexican
If ur talking about the one from the bible he was black

beermonsteroo
05-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Basketball today is considered a black man's game more then it has ever been. However it was already considered a black man's game an whites watched it nevertheless is. What has changes is, that the white man and the black man today are more different then they were 20 years ago.
Till the middle of the 90es most normal blacks( no ghetto thugs) were more or less living or trying to live a "white" lifestyle. This was also true for the black sportsstars. However, over the last 15 years balcks are more and more trying to establish their own culture and way of living. Today among the Blacks more Maliks are born then Micheals, the way of clothing differs much more then it did 20 years ago, blacks today speak more slang then they used to do. When they get economicaly succesfull they tend to show off and bluff with their money. Most Blacks today don't want to melt in to the white european driven american culture, but they are living and establishing their own afro american way of living. Therefore for the ordinary white man, basketball as the black man's sport, is not as attractive anymore, as he feels that baskteball is something of their culture, but not of his own.

Rowe
05-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Ethnic and national pride go hand in hand.

And yes, I did not know that further accentuating my point.
So are you cheering for the United States or an African nation?(srs)

I know a few people who are that shallow that they feel they need to identify themselves with an African nation, rather than the nation of their birth.

Rowe
05-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Basketball today is considered a black man's game more then it has ever been. However it was already considered a black man's game an whites watched it nevertheless is. What has changes is, that the white man and the black man today are more different then they were 20 years ago.
Till the middle of the 90es most normal blacks( no ghetto thugs) were more or less living or trying to live a "white" lifestyle. This was also true for the black sportsstars. However, over the last 15 years balcks are more and more trying to establish their own culture and way of living. Today among the Blacks more Maliks are born then Micheals, the way of clothing differs much more then it did 20 years ago, blacks today speak more slang then they used to do. When they get economicaly succesfull they tend to show off and bluff with their money. Most Blacks today don't want to melt in to the white european driven american culture, but they are living and establishing their own afro american way of living. Therefore for the ordinary white man, basketball as the black man's sport, is not as attractive anymore, as he feels that baskteball is something of their culture, but not of his own.
What are you talking about?

That post was full of so many stereotypes, that its hard to believe someone actually has that little of understanding of African Americans.

Lebron Bryant
05-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Well most people don't think the NBA is around anymore, reading some of the posts from a new story about the NFL draft beating the NBA playoffs.

Funnyfuka
05-29-2010, 10:35 AM

booooom excellent analysis. Right on target.

KelticForce1349
05-29-2010, 10:48 AM

No. I believe it's the over-dribbling, ball-hogging/chucking, non-passing, slow tempo, ticky-tack fouls that is turning casual fans away from the game. Throw in a bit of nostalgia for the good old days and then try to watch this younger generation of stars grabbing their jerseys, pumping their fists, etc while remembering Sir Charles, Magic, Bird, Dr J, Jordan, etc...

The Basketball of today doesn't stack up the glory days. White, brown, black, red, whatever-whatever my friend.

beermonsteroo
05-29-2010, 11:08 AM
No. I believe it's the over-dribbling, ball-hogging/chucking, non-passing, slow tempo, ticky-tack fouls that is turning casual fans away from the game. Throw in a bit of nostalgia for the good old days and then try to watch this younger generation of stars grabbing their jerseys, pumping their fists, etc while remembering Sir Charles, Magic, Bird, Dr J, Jordan, etc...

The Basketball of today doesn't stack up the glory days. White, brown, black, red, whatever-whatever my friend.

Yeah you are right on that. The game has to change also again. That is most certainly true. But saddly i fear it won't happen.
Therefore a white superstar would at least bring back some of the old fans.
The old game woul bring back a lot more of them. Very true

beermonsteroo
05-29-2010, 11:16 AM
What are you talking about?

That post was full of so many stereotypes, that its hard to believe someone actually has that little of understanding of African Americans.

Well obviously this isn't true for all african americnas. But surely it is true for more of them today then it was 20 years ago. And for blacks in the media( rappers, sporstars and os on) it is true to a very large proportion of them. And after all its the media which forms public opinions.
A very simply example. In the 80es most blacks view the white man saw on the television were the Cosbys, Today it are guys like 50 Cent.
You get the difference?

Go Getter
05-29-2010, 11:28 AM
So are you cheering for the United States or an African nation?(srs)

I know a few people who are that shallow that they feel they need to identify themselves with an African nation, rather than the nation of their birth.

First of all America is an anomally.

And you can't get any more American than me Chicago, IL USA...Ammo Troop...baseball player.:cheers: Beer drinker, BBQin, cheeseburger lover.

I always root for the US.

I know a lot of people of German, Italian, and Mexican decent and some of them root for their native countries over the US [in the World Cup] and they are good citizens that were born here...:confusedshrug:

I know in other countries BESIDES America ethnicity and nationality go hand in hand.

Go Getter
05-29-2010, 11:35 AM

I agree somewhat.

There is a study somewhere that just came out that said that there is more passing now than back in those days.

However, the way the game is played to draw fouls and create contact because players use the "ticky-tack fouls" to their advantage and play to get fouled and or three point plays....they flop....make all kinds of gestures and fall to get a call and a lot of the time it's just energy wasted.

Lebron Bryant
05-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Another thing is most people think basketball is for blacks only. Was just on HFBorads(hockey fourm) and someone said in the tv ad for the Stanley Cup reminds him of basketball, because of the Enimem song and he hates basketball.

I would like someone to stop thinking anyone who likes basketball is black and likes rap.

Swaggin916
05-29-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm telling you guys tho, it's a mental thing.

I think in America these days, Black people are viewed as tougher and more dominant... so when a white guy finds himself matched up against a black guy, I think they get intimidated, especially if the black guy is talking trash trying to get in his head. Not everyone will get intimidated, but many white people grow up in predominately white neighborhoods and are used to people just playing... not a lot of trash talking, flash, or aggressive play. Black people grow up in environments where that is very prevalent... and in sports those help intimidate others and boost self confidence/performance.

That's my theory.

alwaysunny
05-29-2010, 04:42 PM
I'm telling you guys tho, it's a mental thing.

I think in America these days, Black people are viewed as tougher and more dominant... so when a white guy finds himself matched up against a black guy, I think they get intimidated, especially if the black guy is talking trash trying to get in his head. Not everyone will get intimidated, but many white people grow up in predominately white neighborhoods and are used to people just playing... not a lot of trash talking, flash, or aggressive play. Black people grow up in environments where that is very prevalent... and in sports those help intimidate others and boost self confidence/performance.

That's my theory.

stereotypical at its best :no:

growing up in both white and black dominated neighborhoods, I totally disagree with your statement. I understand where you're coming from, but in my opinion it has more to do with population than race. I see it as cities vs suburbs rather than blacks vs whites.

Dasher
05-29-2010, 07:12 PM
It would be huge. Jason Williams had the highest selling jersey in the league at one point, and he played for the small market Kings. Part of the reason Adam Morrison went so high was because of his box office potential if he panned out. He was getting superstar level endorsement deals before he ever played a minute. Do you remember him starring in those EA Sports commercials?