PDA

View Full Version : Discuss how/why the Celtics just beat the Lakers in 2010 NBA Finals game 5

insidehoops
06-13-2010, 10:59 PM
The Celtics now lead the Lakers 3 games to 2 in the 2010 NBA Finals.

If you just watched the game, discuss how Boston was able to win

Hiei
06-13-2010, 11:00 PM
Ron Artest

keep_it_real
06-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Ron Artest

this

Bodhi
06-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Laker players other than Kobe and Fisher have no heart and can't handle pressure.

rs98762001
06-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Artest being atrocious on both ends of the court.
Bynum still hurt.
Pau played like 2008 Pau. Owned by Garnett.
Lack of poise down the stretch...again.

This would have been a blowout had it not been for Bryant's third quarter explosion.

Micku
06-13-2010, 11:03 PM
Defensive. They shot 39% (Lakers). The Lakers kept it so close due to the offensive rebounders and turnovers by Boston. And Kobe going crazy.

bada bing
06-13-2010, 11:03 PM
the more you watched these two teams play the more you realize that the celts are just the better team. They played horrible against the lakers the past 4 games and the series was tied 2-2. It tells you how good this team is even when they are playing horrible. In today's game they played Celtics ball. it was defense that created their offense. They didnt get many calls and yet still were able to control the entire game and even withstand a Kobe onslaught. The better team just won and I find it hard for the lakers to win 2 games against this celtic team.

congrats....the better team won.

sportsfan76
06-13-2010, 11:04 PM
1.derek fisher not getting open 3's

2.Pau gasol playing like he is 6'2 on defense

3.No bench production

4.Ron Artest missing open shots

imnew09
06-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Pau gasol...

fk protect ur own rebounds
FK
Im so pissed.

Sharmer
06-13-2010, 11:06 PM
The Celtics now lead the Lakers 3 games to 2 in the 2010 NBA Finals.

If you just watched the game, discuss how Boston was able to win

lack of inside presence because bynum is hurt

Micku
06-13-2010, 11:08 PM
3.No bench production

The bench is huge. The bench won game 4 and they made great plays in game 5. With the Celtics bench, you have to change your entire defensive plan.

krazy19
06-13-2010, 11:09 PM
Celtics vs Kobe.

That only works in the regular season. The better teams deserve to win in the finals.

Missed calls by the refs sure took a lot out of the momentum that was heading towards the Lakers but they were playing terrible defense the whole game. 56% shooting.

kurple
06-13-2010, 11:11 PM
Andrew Bynum:

31 minutes
6 points
1 offensive rebound
0 defensive rebounds
0 assists
3 fouls
1 turnover
-12 (+/-), worst on both teams by a lot

Harison
06-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Pierce and KG were huge, others did their part, but Rondo with Ray made a bit too many mistakes.

It was a bit surprising Celtics were able to answer every single Kobe's divine shooting in the 3rd, it was like Kobe was playing alone against balanced Cs offense (KG/Pierce/Rondo, etc. - everyone were scoring). Honestly Celtics won because they wanted it more as a team, who on Lakers side were playing their hearts out? Fisher started great, but eventually refs stopped paying attention to his flopping, Bynum tried, but was too slow due to knee, Kobe was amazing, just in stretches. Others didnt even showed up.

puppychili
06-13-2010, 11:19 PM
How terse is Kobe gonna be in the press conference?

PP34Deuce
06-13-2010, 11:21 PM
The difference was also KG on Gasol. He blocked his shot, he made life hell for Pau. KG was zoned in on rebounding as well.

We made adjustments with rebounding with 2 hands. DOc moving away from ROndo dominating the ball for 48 mins.

PP and KG PnR produced positive plays 80 percent of the time.
Rondo always makes a critical hustle play
Stayed within ourselves except for bone head moves.

One thing I noticed is Bryant is who he is. An incredible player who wants shine. its his gift and his curse..He let Ray Allen get in his head

Allstar24
06-13-2010, 11:28 PM
This loss hurts almost as bad as Game 4 of the 2008 finals. I don't know who to blame or get pissed off at.

amfirst
06-13-2010, 11:37 PM
This loss hurts almost as bad as Game 4 of the 2008 finals. I don't know who to blame or get pissed off at.

It's ok, I believe Lakers could have won both games if they were playing at home. It's hard to win in the fourth when the refs calls everything against u. We still got this when we get home.

MK2V1GP
06-13-2010, 11:50 PM
It's ok, I believe Lakers could have won both games if they were playing at home. It's hard to win in the fourth when the refs calls everything against u. We still got this when we get home.
:roll:

A Lakers fan complaining about the calls?!?!?! hahahahahahahahahaha

How about this: Celtics with only FOUR FTA with 5 minutes left in the 4th. they ended up with only 13 FTA, but they only had that many b/c 6 of those FTAs were from intentional Lakers fouls in the last minute.

Lakers had 26 FTA

Please, we won despite the refs. There were periods when the Celtics would go on a run, and the refs would make a questionable call which got the Lakers back in it.

i seriously can't belive a Lakers fan is complaining. I say they sucked and we even won the game lol.

RedBlackAttack
06-13-2010, 11:50 PM
I really don't see how LA fans can blame the officials for this loss. Were there a couple of close calls that went in Boston's favor? Sure.

But, for the most part, the officials did a pretty good job of not being a deciding factor and the Lakers actually had a significant FTA advantage.

There are going to be close calls in every game that one side dislikes. That is the nature of the game. But, I don't think there is any question that the better team won tonight.

boozehound
06-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Laker players other than Kobe and Fisher have no heart and can't handle pressure.
what did d fish do that was so great for them? shot 2-9 (same as artest) and wasnt really much of a factor.

sayitaintso
06-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Pierce and Rondo.

/thread.

/error

boozehound
06-13-2010, 11:55 PM
Andrew Bynum:

31 minutes
6 points
1 offensive rebound
0 defensive rebounds
0 assists
3 fouls
1 turnover
-12 (+/-), worst on both teams by a lot
yet all the lakers fans act like pau was the player not grabbing boards. he had 12 boards in 38 mins. bynum was as big a liability this game.

amfirst
06-13-2010, 11:55 PM
I don't care about fta because Celts play aggressive and hack a lot, they deserve those foul calls. I didn't see any that they didn't deserve. The fourth quarter calls is what decides the game.

Younggrease
06-13-2010, 11:56 PM
what did d fish do that was so great for them? shot 2-9 (same as artest) and wasnt really much of a factor.

what does that have to do with having heart. I think people misunderstand what heart is...

yet all the lakers fans act like pau was the player not grabbing boards. he had 12 boards in 38 mins. bynum was as big a liability this game.

there you go looking at the box score...maybe watch the game and see how many offensive rebounds his lack of effort gave up or the two layups he blew of completely missed rotations or the other layups he gave up. At least Bynum was boxing out, Pau was sitting by the 3 point line.

boozehound
06-13-2010, 11:57 PM
uhm, newsflash numbnuts, the lakers scored 7 points in a row down the stretch in the 4th. all of them from the line. look at the ft differential and say that again. If this were a bar, I would slap your umbrella out of your drink and curb you on the footrail.

boozehound
06-13-2010, 11:57 PM
what does that have to do with having heart. I think people misunderstand what heart is...
heart is great and all, but points are better. 2-9 is terrible, especially for a guy who only takes good looks (mostly).

sayitaintso
06-13-2010, 11:58 PM
heart is great and all, but points are better. 2-9 is terrible, especially for a guy who only takes good looks (mostly).

Remember when someone went 10-29? Fisher won that game in the fourth quarter. 29 attempts have more of an impact on the overall results...but Fisher kept the Lakers from losing in 5.

boozehound
06-14-2010, 12:00 AM

there you go looking at the box score...maybe watch the game and see how many offensive rebounds his lack of effort gave up or the two layups he blew of completely missed rotations or the other layups he gave up. At least Bynum was boxing out, Pau was sitting by the 3 point line.
Im not saying he didnt have a poor game, but I have seen at least a dozen laker fans act like bynum fish and kobe were all ballin out there. Stats arent everything, but your starting center playing 31 mins and getting 1 board? I dont care if he is boxing out, its not good enough.

so, pau got 12 boards from the 3pt line huh? wow hed be awesome if they could only figure out someway to get him closer to the basket.

Younggrease
06-14-2010, 12:00 AM

Fisher's 2-9, while guarding Ray Allen and shutting him down and playing sound defense and not missing assignmens> Pau 12/12 with 5-12 shooting.

Im not saying he didnt have a poor game, but I have seen at least a dozen laker fans act like bynum fish and kobe were all ballin out there. Stats arent everything, but your starting center playing 31 mins and getting 1 board? I dont care if he is boxing out, its not good enough

he is hurt...the only reason he is playing that many minutes is b/c Odom is acting like a pansy. Im not gonna blame Bynum when the only reason he is playing on a torn MCL is b/c Odom is shook. Im gonna blame Odom and Gasol for being shook

sayitaintso
06-14-2010, 12:01 AM
Fisher's 2-9, while guarding Ray Allen and shutting him down and playing sound defense and not missing assignmens> Pau 12/12 with 5-12 shooting.

Rondo did pretty good besides his careless decision making. I wonder who guarded Rondo.

boozehound
06-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Remember when someone went 10-29? Fisher won that game in the fourth quarter. 29 attempts have more of an impact on the overall results...but Fisher kept the Lakers from losing in 5.
sure, fisher won that game by making huge shots (many of which I thought were outside of his repertoire at this point). and?

laronprofit9
Ron Artest shooting 30% for the series. Getting Wide Open Three Point shots every game.

All he does is just brick them, hesistates for 5 seconds, dribbles one on one baseline to baseline and turning it over, running out the shotclock, and being a liability on offense.

boozehound

he is hurt...the only reason he is playing that many minutes is b/c Odom is acting like a pansy. Im not gonna blame Bynum when the only reason he is playing on a torn MCL is b/c Odom is shook. Im gonna blame Odom and Gasol for being shook
ray shot 5/10 and most of his misses were on decent looks. fish played alright D, but not the shut down D you are pretending.

boozehound
06-14-2010, 12:03 AM
Ron Artest shooting 30% for the series. Getting Wide Open Three Point shots every game.

All he does is just brick them, hesistates for 5 seconds, dribbles one on one baseline to baseline and turning it over, running out the shotclock, and being a liability on offense.
that was a great possession he had in the third when he drove the land and opened it up for kobe. I thought he was nuts (too much dribbling for him IMO) but hey

sayitaintso
06-14-2010, 12:04 AM

Remember Rashard Lewis? Maybe Ron Artest has the flu.

boozehound
06-14-2010, 12:04 AM
Rondo did pretty good besides his careless decision making. I wonder who guarded Rondo.
yeah, his decisions once he was in the paint were pretty bad today. I thought it was gonna cost them the game.

RedBlackAttack
06-14-2010, 12:13 AM
he is hurt...the only reason he is playing that many minutes is b/c Odom is acting like a pansy.
He is literally always hurt. I think that injury should cease to be an excuse for Bynum from this point forward until he either plays a complete season without sitting out significant stretches with serious injuries or takes part in a long post-season run without eventually running into serious health problems. He has done neither so far in his career.

Bynum and injury have been completely synonymous so far in his career. So much to the point where he should be accustomed to playing banged up and should still find away to have an impact -- especially when it comes to something like rebounding -- which is the most fundamental aspect of playing the 5 spot in this league.

Younggrease
06-14-2010, 12:17 AM
He is literally always hurt. I think that injury should cease to be an excuse for Bynum from this point forward until he either plays a complete season without sitting out significant stretches with serious injuries or takes part in a long post-season run without eventually running into serious health problems. He has done neither so far in his career.

Bynum and injury have been completely synonymous so far in his career. So much to the point where he should be accustomed to playing banged up and should still find away to have an impact -- especially when it comes to something like rebounding -- which is the most fundamental aspect of playing the 5 spot in this league.

I guess you have never had an MCL injury, let alone a tear. Regardless of the fact he has been hurt a lot in his career, most NBA players in his position wouldnt be playing in the Finals. So his minutes have been good enough for me...he is boxing out and Pau is pulling in the boards from his box outs. As long as the Lakers get the rebound it doesnt matter to me.

RedBlackAttack
06-14-2010, 12:20 AM
I guess you have never had an MCL injury, let alone a tear.
I actually tore my ACL in high school. It wasn't a lot of fun.

I'm not insinuating that Bynum is 'faking' or that his injuries haven't been legitimate. I'm just pointing out that health has always been a problem for the guy, so there is really no sense in continuing to point it out. Bynum is literally never 100-percent. Hell... He has probably only been 90-percent a few times during his career.

He may never play a game completely healthy.

MK2V1GP
06-14-2010, 12:46 AM
I don't care about fta because Celts play aggressive and hack a lot, they deserve those foul calls. I didn't see any that they didn't deserve. The fourth quarter calls is what decides the game.

Of course you wouldnt care b/c it hurts your view on it all.

It's not like Boston was only shooting 3's and jumpers all night. They were posting up and driving to the lane as much as they took jumpers. so you can't use that excuse either.

Allstar24
06-14-2010, 12:47 AM
Nah...while I agree that a few calls were just bizarre, it was ultimately the Lakers who lost this game. Defense wins championships and the Lakers D was horrendous. You need a team effort to beat the Celtics. The Lakers need to forget about the refs, forget about everything else and just focus on trying to win the next 2 games as a team.

RedBlackAttack
06-14-2010, 12:49 AM
Wow... I knew that Rondo was scoring the ball at a pretty efficient rate tonight, but I just took a look at the box for the first time.

He finished 9-for-12 from the field to go along with eight assists. :applause:

Rajon continues to impress and no stage seems too big for him. What a coming out party this post-season has been for him.

Jailblazers7
06-14-2010, 12:52 AM
Wow... I knew that Rondo was scoring the ball at a pretty efficient rate tonight, but I just took a look at the box for the first time.

Rajon continues to impress and no stage seems too big for him. What a coming out party this post-season has been for him.

There was at least one instance where I thought he should have just shot the ball instead of looking to dish it. He has a little room to improve his decision making.

Also, he missed a gimme tonight. idk if its because he goes up wiht one hand a lot or what but he misses layups occasionally. Either way, he is damn impressive lately and looks to be a superstar soon, if not already.

KG215
06-14-2010, 12:54 AM
The Lakers two 7 footers collectively played like two ******s. I know Gasol ended up with 12 rebounds but it had to be the quietest and wussiest 12 rebounds in NBA finals history. And hurting or not, if you're a 7 footer and play 32 minutes, you almost have to be trying to only get 1 rebound. That's pathetic.

And oh yeah, the Celtics were just the better team tonight. The game was not nearly as close as the final 6 point margin indicates.

RedBlackAttack
06-14-2010, 12:56 AM
There was at least one instance where I thought he should have just shot the ball instead of looking to dish it. He has a little room to improve his decision making.

Also, he missed a gimme tonight. idk if its because he goes up wiht one hand a lot or what but he misses layups occasionally. Either way, he is damn impressive lately and looks to be a superstar soon, if not already.
...and he had the seven turnovers, which is about three too many, even for a PG that does as much ball-handling as Rondo.

Still, guy is the truth.

sayitaintso
06-14-2010, 12:58 AM
The Lakers two 7 footers collectively played like two ******s. I know Gasol ended up with 12 rebounds but it had to be the quietest and wussiest 12 rebounds in NBA finals history. And hurting or not, if you're a 7 footer and play 32 minutes, you almost have to be trying to only get 1 rebound. That's pathetic.

And oh yeah, the Celtics were just the better team tonight. The game was not nearly as close as the final 6 point margin indicates.

Out of the third quarter numbers, Kobe shot 33% from the field on 18 field goal attempts. 33% and 18 attempts = big difference than 12 PTS 12 REB 12 FG attempts. Give Gasol the same number of touches as Kobe..18 those three quarters. I'll take his high percentage shots over tough shots.

Jailblazers7
06-14-2010, 01:04 AM
...and he had the seven turnovers, which is about three too many, even for a PG that does as much ball-handling as Rondo.

Still, guy is the truth.

Yeah I only expect him to become more refined and better as time goes on. I had a friend tell me he is the best PG in the league now but he is just overreacting. I'd take Deron over him any day and most likely Paul. I can't wait till Paul comes back and rips up the league. I might get league pass just to see it.

KG215
06-14-2010, 01:06 AM
Out of the third quarter numbers, Kobe shot 33% from the field on 18 field goal attempts. 33% and 18 attempts = big difference than 12 PTS 12 REB 12 FG attempts. Give Gasol the same number of touches as Kobe..18 those three quarters. I'll take his high percentage shots over tough shots.

I'll give you that, but I watched all 48 minutes of that game rather intently, and for the most part I completely forgot Gasol was in the game. That's not a good thing for a team's #2 option in tied NBA series.

boozehound
06-14-2010, 01:16 AM

you forgot his 7 TOs, many due to his overpenetration and resultant stupid play. overpenetration, is that like crushing the cervix?

boozehound
06-14-2010, 01:18 AM

Still, guy is the truth.
no, Pierce is the truth, Ray is jesus.

With the truth and jesus on your side, how can you lose?

boozehound
06-14-2010, 01:21 AM
I'll give you that, but I watched all 48 minutes of that game rather intently, and for the most part I completely forgot Gasol was in the game. That's not a good thing for a team's #2 option in tied NBA series.
yeah, he wasnt very noticeable, but I also didnt see him get it in the low post much. he was being pushed out of position and very few re-sets.

rfm767
06-14-2010, 01:31 AM
How did the Celtics won? Essentially because LA is using all of their cap space and only has 2, arguably 3, players on their roster.

Derka
06-14-2010, 01:31 AM
So I'm laying in bed watching a downloaded replay of the game and I'm watching the Lakers defense a bit more closely. Felt compelled to get up and get opinions on something.

Kobe should be playing Rondo more tightly on defense. Given how poorly the defensive rotations are on the LA side right now added to the fact that Bynum is not playing the middle right now at anything near 100%, does it really help the Lakers defense to give Rondo THAT much room to run things and pick them apart?

boozehound
06-14-2010, 01:55 AM
So I'm laying in bed watching a downloaded replay of the game and I'm watching the Lakers defense a bit more closely. Felt compelled to get up and get opinions on something.

Kobe should be playing Rondo more tightly on defense. Given how poorly the defensive rotations are on the LA side right now added to the fact that Bynum is not playing the middle right now at anything near 100%, does it really help the Lakers defense to give Rondo THAT much room to run things and pick them apart?
hmmn, Im not sure about that. I do think that kobe gave up a lot of plays for rondo by playing off him a little too far, but I also think that playing his passing lanes is much more important than checking his initial movement or shot attempt. Hes not blowing by kobe that much, but he is setting up others effectively.

I do think that kobe's D suffers when he becomes the one man O show (primary handler, initiator and finisher).

boozehound
06-14-2010, 01:56 AM
How did the Celtics won? Essentially because LA is using all of their cap space and only has 2, arguably 3, players on their roster.
:violin:

YOu falkin frontrunning fans are straight pathetic. what a bunch of no balls crybabies you are. What were you saying about pau after game 1.

Learn to roll with some punches

RedBlackAttack
06-14-2010, 02:02 AM

YOu falkin frontrunning fans are straight pathetic. what a bunch of no balls crybabies you are. What were you saying about pau after game 1.

And, once again, in LA's Game 2 loss, Pau was 7-for-10 with 25 points, eight boards, and six blocks while Kobe was 8-for-20 with 20 points and five turnovers.

I am not pointing this out in an attempt to put down Kobe... Quite the contrary, I just want to give Gasol the praise he deserves for being arguably the most skilled big man in the league. It bothers me that self-described Lakers fans are so quick to abandon this guy after a sub-par performance.

Stick with your guys... Win or lose.

I'm still a fan of Antawn Jamison and Gasol has been playing like a prime Wilt Chamberlain compared to the series that Jamison had against Boston.

Story Up
06-14-2010, 02:05 AM
And, once again, in LA's Game 2 loss, Pau was 7-for-10 with 25 points, eight boards, and six blocks while Kobe was 8-for-20 with 20 points and five turnovers.

I am not pointing this out in an attempt to put down Kobe... Quite the contrary, I just want to give Gasol the praise he deserves for being arguably the most skilled big man in the league. It bothers me that self-described Lakers fans are so quick to abandon this guy after a sub-par performance.

Stick with your guys... Win or lose.

I'm still a fan of Antawn Jamison and Gasol has been playing like a prime Wilt Chamberlain compared to the series that Jamison had against Boston.

Wow, game 5 with the series being tied up at 2 is a lot more important then being up 1-0 playing game 2. Pau was horrible tonight in a pretty damn important game.

RedBlackAttack
06-14-2010, 02:11 AM
Wow, game 5 with the series being tied up at 2 is a lot more important then being up 1-0 playing game 2. Pau was horrible tonight in a pretty damn important game.
Didn't say he wasn't terrible and I know that it was a huge game. Still, Game 2 was big, too. Losing home court and failing to maintain the momentum in this series was pretty big with a three-game swing in Boston on the horizon.

Pau was fantastic in that game. Let's not just dismiss his excellent games and over-emphasize his bad ones.

Story Up
06-14-2010, 02:13 AM
Didn't say he wasn't terrible and I know that it was a huge game. Still, Game 2 was big, too. Losing home court and failing to maintain the momentum in this series was pretty big with a three-game swing in Boston on the horizon.

Pau was fantastic in that game. Let's not just dismiss his excellent games and over-emphasize his bad ones.

I love Pau more then any other big man but he has yet to prove to me that he is capable of stepping up in BIG games; game 2 was big every game in this series was big but tonights game far exceeds the importance of game two.

boozehound
06-14-2010, 02:13 AM

just be glad the next two are at home

RedBlackAttack
06-14-2010, 02:16 AM
I love Pau more then any other big man but he has yet to prove to me that he is capable of stepping up in BIG games; game 2 was big every game in this series was big but tonights game far exceeds the importance of game two.
I don't completely disagree, but if you guys win Game 2, the entire complexion of this series changes and you are almost certainly not down 3-2 at the moment.

Story Up
06-14-2010, 02:17 AM
I don't completely disagree, but if you guys win Game 2, the entire complexion of this series changes and you are almost certainly not down 3-2 at the moment.

I was blaming Kobe for wasting a great effort by Pau & Andrew in game two as well; but this game was a lot more painful to me.

poido123
06-14-2010, 04:23 AM
I dont think Gasol has ever really been particularly happy playing with kobe, seems to ebb and flow from game to game, and funnily enough Gasols good games, usually comes from him getting his shots regularly, and when kobe goes on a ME quarter, Gasol can switch off...I mean, its almost like some games, Gasol just sits back and lets Kobe self-destruct the team, I reckon if Kobe made a conscious effort to get Gasol all the touches he deserves, then we could be seeing the Gasol we know he can be...

Killer_Instinct
06-14-2010, 04:46 AM
History is about to be made. Celtics are 11-0 when ahead 3-2 in the Finals, and Phil is 47-0 when winning Game 1. Something has to give. Team faded in the 3rd quarter. More importantly, they didn't get stops the entire game. There's obvious tension in the locker room, anyone with common sense notices that Odom was calling Kobe out during his interview.

Ron's jumper is bankrupt, Gasol crawled into a corner when he saw KG and Rasheed, and Odom is too busy eating candy. Smh. About to be the toughest games of their life, or the easiest depending on how they want to go out.

BlackWhiteGreen
06-14-2010, 04:50 AM
They obviously won on their awesome chants. The oh so classy 'no means no' and 'ugly sister' (at Odom) might not be tasteful but they are really funny :oldlol:

oh the horror
06-14-2010, 04:53 AM
anyone with common sense notices that Odom was calling Kobe out during his interview.

What was said? I didnt see the interview.

Killer_Instinct
06-14-2010, 05:04 AM
What was said? I didnt see the interview.

He was being questioned on what went wrong tonight. His response was that "We didn't get stops. Rondo was making those jumpers..we didn't adjust..we were right there..we just didn't get stops." A reporter asked a similar question and it became blatant what he was trying to get across. His response(and I'm parpaphrasing here) was

"We just didn't get stops...you know, the Celtics...even if they go through dry spells...they still have a chance and play D because they keep everyone involved in the offense...they move the ball so well. Everyone's involved..." He kind of grinned. "We just didn't get stops."

Barkley and Kenny discussed it for a bit, but the random tid bit of the Celtics spreading the rock was clear. He feels like they weren't as motivated because they didn't get the touches. I'm not saying this as fact, but he just threw that in there. Question had 0 to do with the answer. Seeing as how Bean went crazy in the 3rd(rightfully so) I just allude this to being what he meant.

Hope this isn't the case, because if they're having issues NOW, this series is over.

RazorBaLade
06-14-2010, 05:11 AM
He was being questioned on what went wrong tonight. His response was that "We didn't get stops. Rondo was making those jumpers..we didn't adjust..we were right there..we just didn't get stops." A reporter asked a similar question and it became blatant what he was trying to get across. His response(and I'm parpaphrasing here) was

"We just didn't get stops...you know, the Celtics...even if they go through dry spells...they still have a chance and play D because they keep everyone involved in the offense...they move the ball so well. Everyone's involved..." He kind of grinned. "We just didn't get stops."

Barkley and Kenny discussed it for a bit, but the random tid bit of the Celtics spreading the rock was clear. He feels like they weren't as motivated because they didn't get the touches. I'm not saying this as fact, but he just threw that in there. Question had 0 to do with the answer. Seeing as how Bean went crazy in the 3rd(rightfully so) I just allude this to being what he meant.

Hope this isn't the case, because if they're having issues NOW, this series is over.

this mother****er cant even get more than 40 pts in pop a shot and hes even talking to the interviewers.

OnePeat
06-14-2010, 06:31 AM
It was embarrassing watching the Lakers D up Paul Pierce. This dude is purely a stepback midrange jumpshooter now, yet nobody on the Lakers would get up into his jersey. They kept playing 2 feet off him on every jab step like he has Rondo quickness. On the other side, the Celtics were playing Kobe so close they were basically stepping on his toes--forcing him to take difficult fadeaways, runners, and 3's (which he amazingly made).

Bottom line, if you let Paul Pierce torch you on the kind of shots he got (old man step backs), then your defense is trash and you don't deserve to win.

Harison
06-14-2010, 06:51 AM
I think Lakers doesnt do that because of two reasons - it would tire Kobe more, and also they prefer Rondo taking jumpshots.

Kujo
06-14-2010, 07:34 AM
Celtics D has been amazing, Pierce and Rondo are dominating, Garnet has stepped up, and no one else on the Lakers is helping Kobe out.

The Celtics play championship defense, and that is what's going to win them the title.

Younggrease
06-14-2010, 08:27 AM

Honestly makes me lose even more respect for him as a basketball player...he needs stops to play hard in the NBA Finals...what a loser, and an underachiever.

crisoner
06-14-2010, 11:16 AM
The Lakers have one day to get their act straight.

Yes they are going to be home etc. but the Celtics are a great road team and they know how to close out a series. What makes me nervous right now is the state of this Lakers team. They got straight up outplayed yesterday...key guys Odom, Gasol, Artest, Fisher ( I give Bynum a pass) all did not show up.

I don't know what miracle Phil can pull out right now but last night the Laker looked beat up and you know the C's smell blood.

So game 6 huge game...I made a whole bunch of predictions this series before it started and before each game etc. Got some right and some wrong...I would like to say I have NO IDEA what will happen Tuesday night...and if it gets to a game 7 it's a damn toss up IMO.

If I was a fan of another team just watching I would love this series right now. Take that the refs been making crazy calls away you got to love it if this goes 7 games. I am hoping for the best that the Lakers win Game 6 and Game 7 will be Thursday night. But if everyone not names Kobe on the Lakers decides not to show up again......it's curtains.

Defense, Boards, Hustle, and ball movement on offense...that's what the Lakeshow needs.

wpdougie2180
06-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Two plays basically told the story of this game:

First the rondo push of Artest, I think the Rondo-Artest play was very important since it basically showed the toughness of the Celtics team. I've never seen anyone other than Ben Wallace stand up to Artest and we know what that lead to. Kenyon Martin, Artest, Rasheed, Ben Wallace have you seen anyone stand up to those guys it would be like Steve Nash pushing Kenyon Martin after a hard foul on Amare. The Celtics had been saying all year that the Celtics were scared of Artest every since the first time the played in Feb. Kobe even said they seen the look in Artest eyes and all the Celtics were "shook" of him. The lead was 1 when this happened and the lead only went up after this happened

And a step back jumper of Pierce on Odom, Odom just puts his hand up and almost blocks the jumper of course it goes in but if he jumps even slightly it's a blocked shot. The Lakers as a whole didn't show much effort on Defense in basically the last 4 games.

I have a theory on playoff series the team that gets the easier looks on shots no matter if you make or miss them will win the series. Most if not all the Lakers shots have been heavily contested while the Celtics have been shooting open shots or layups fo the last 4 games.

Allstar24
06-14-2010, 01:31 PM
There's no need to overreact. Did people really expect the Lakers to win 2 in Boston? That would've been ideal but...they did what they had to do, win one in Boston to bring the series back to LA. Now just take it one game at a time. They've won 2 closeout games in a row against OKC and the Suns in these playoffs...it's just that everyone has to show up (which they usually do at home) and play together as a team.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
06-14-2010, 02:17 PM
People have to realize that Celtics shoot 57% and lakers 39% and the lakers lost by only 6.....and that too with no Defense and stupid bricking by Ron Artest....freaking 6'7 guy...just dunk the ball instead of layup

Anyways...The lakers will show up in game 6 and then game 7 is anybody's game

TruthKGRay3412
06-14-2010, 02:24 PM
1 more win until I kill a few ISH posters credibility with some bumps.

Barton
06-14-2010, 04:01 PM
They've won 2 closeout games in a row against OKC and the Suns in these playoffs...it's just that everyone has to show up (which they usually do at home) and play together as a team.
There's a key difference when the team you're trying to close out is actually on the verge of knocking you out--not the case with either Suns or Thunder.

Splitz77
06-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Celtics vs Kobe.

That only works in the regular season. The better teams deserve to win in the finals.

Missed calls by the refs sure took a lot out of the momentum that was heading towards the Lakers but they were playing terrible defense the whole game. 56% shooting.

What are you talking about? This was the best officiated game of the whole series. **** outa here.

lilo
06-14-2010, 05:06 PM

Now that's funny. Are you referring to the bogus 3-point foul call on Allen or a jump-ball stolen by Fisher in violation of the rules where he tipped it on the way up as clearly seen on this video? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-bZf6nb5Mw)

JMT
06-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Bynum.

That's it.

Forget the nonsense about team chemistry, Kobe shooting too much, Gasol pouting because Kobe shoots too much, etc etc etc.

When Bynum is able to play at his normal level, the Lakers are better than Boston.

When he's not, they're not.

Gasol plays better at both ends with Bynum on the floor. He doesn't have to get bodied as much; as the series has progressed, he's looked more and more worn down. When doubled, he can throw a pass right to the front of the rim. Gasol gets more spin and drop-step attempts because the double can't leave Bynum as quickly.

Everyone's job is easier with a big, mobile 7 footer. Right now, the kid shouldn't be on the court but he's gutting it out. But no defensive rebounds is a telling stat. That's a guy with no lift and, more important, one whose knee won't withstand the pressure of attempting to block out.

Unless he heals miraculously, LA is in trouble. Home court might even it out enough for them to get by...bench/role players are historically much bigger contributors at home...but it's going to be awfully tough.

Haymaker
06-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Bynum.

That's it.

Forget the nonsense about team chemistry, Kobe shooting too much, Gasol pouting because Kobe shoots too much, etc etc etc.

When Bynum is able to play at his normal level, the Lakers are better than Boston.

When he's not, they're not.

Gasol plays better at both ends with Bynum on the floor. He doesn't have to get bodied as much; as the series has progressed, he's looked more and more worn down. When doubled, he can throw a pass right to the front of the rim. Gasol gets more spin and drop-step attempts because the double can't leave Bynum as quickly.

Everyone's job is easier with a big, mobile 7 footer. Right now, the kid shouldn't be on the court but he's gutting it out. But no defensive rebounds is a telling stat. That's a guy with no lift and, more important, one whose knee won't withstand the pressure of attempting to block out.

Unless he heals miraculously, LA is in trouble. Home court might even it out enough for them to get by...bench/role players are historically much bigger contributors at home...but it's going to be awfully tough.

:applause: agREED

Derka
06-14-2010, 08:27 PM
I think Lakers doesnt do that because of two reasons - it would tire Kobe more, and also they prefer Rondo taking jumpshots.

I agree that if you're LA, you can live with Rondo hitting the 18-20 foot jumper, but you can't live with Rondo having that much room to literally pick your defense apart should he decide to pass...he literally has all day to let the C's run the offense and shred shit up when Kobe isn't pressuring the ball like he isn't doing right now.

Right now Kobe's just playing with his feet planted on defense and trying to help defend on other guys, and its not working.

Barton
06-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Right now Kobe's just playing with his feet planted on defense and trying to help defend on other guys, and its not working.
And when it seems to be working, i.e., Rondo can't make a shot, Doc is just going w/ Robinson who doesn't seem to hesitate with making shot and, surprisingly, the right pass.

rfm767
06-14-2010, 10:35 PM

Are you an idiot or what? Do you like supporting guys who are soft and choke when you need them the most? If supporting guys with NO BALLS to play the game through their loses makes you feel manly, that is your problem.

And check any post from me regarding Gasol, I've been bashing his softness since regular season. After game 1 I did not elevate him an inch.

Pathetic...straight your sh1t up before posting.

Shepseskaf
06-14-2010, 11:17 PM
The series obviously has a long way to go, but the games so far have definitely answered the question of how the '08 Celtics would fare against the "new and improved" Lakers.

Given that the '08 team was clearly superior to this year's, it would have been the same massacre all over again.

hwliuLAP
06-14-2010, 11:43 PM
The series obviously has a long way to go, but the games so far have definitely answered the question of how the '08 Celtics would fare against the "new and improved" Lakers.

Given that the '08 team was clearly superior to this year's, it would have been the same massacre all over again.

Because Rondo hasn't easily been the best or 2nd best player in all the games Celts won?

Shepseskaf
06-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Because Rondo hasn't easily been the best or 2nd best player in all the games Celts won?
He has been... so what of it? And what exactly does that fact have to do with my earlier comment?

The '08 team was better than this year's team. That isn't even debatable.

catch24
06-15-2010, 01:56 AM
Won't be an easy task for LA, thats for sure. They need to make their shots, stay aggressive defensively, and not be out rebounded by Bostons front line.

Pretty much defend your home turf.

Sarcastic
06-15-2010, 03:42 AM
The Lakers need more ball movement. The best way to attack the Celtics defense is by moving the ball before their rotations get there. The ball can move much faster than any player can on his feet. Because the Lakers are not moving the ball around, they are playing into exactly what the Celtics want from them.

dutchguy
06-15-2010, 06:16 AM
the lakers lost cause they don't play defense. Kobe gives Rondo all the room he wants. Fisher, gasol and kobe were literally standing around watching at some points in g4 and 5. after every pick they do very poor switches. It seems like when they lose their guy they go "oh well, that's it then, my job's done"
Whatever's going wrong for them offensively, kobe can make up for it singlehandedly, even if it's on 40% shooting. They just can't let the celts (with Ray being mia btw) score over 50%

Orlando Magic
06-15-2010, 09:49 AM
He has been... so what of it? And what exactly does that fact have to do with my earlier comment?

The '08 team was better than this year's team. That isn't even debatable.

In fact, it actually supports your previous statement. He's just too stupid to understand it and that's what typically is to be expected of a Lakers fan.

The fact that Rondo may be the best player on the team speaks more to the difference between the 2008 Celtics and the 2010 Celtics than it does the 2008 Rondo and the 2010 Rondo.

JellyBean
06-15-2010, 12:04 PM
The Lakers lost because of: lack of hustle. Lack of offense, minus Kobe. Lack of defensive intensity. Lack of desire. Lack of heart, minus Kobe. The Lakers just did not have the heart and soul to win that game. Man, if Kobe could clone himself, the Lakers would have won this series: 4-1.

Come on, Lakers!! Feed off Kobe. Get your heart back!!!!

dynasty1978
06-15-2010, 03:32 PM
The Lakers need more ball movement. The best way to attack the Celtics defense is by moving the ball before their rotations get there. The ball can move much faster than any player can on his feet. Because the Lakers are not moving the ball around, they are playing into exactly what the Celtics want from them.

This. Games 1 and 2 saw much more crisp ball movement with LA winning big in 1 and ahead in 2 in the 4th before folding. I expect: the offense to be less kobe-centric in game 6, better bench play, the celtics to keep it close until the 4th, LA with a spirited effort down the stretch to force game 7.