PDA

View Full Version : Why do Basketball Players Shave their Legs?

jstern
06-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Only one that I know that didn't was Tim Hardaway.

Other athletes shave their legs also.

rezznor
06-18-2010, 09:31 PM
aerodynamics. less wind resistance so they can jump higher and run faster. much like why swimmers shave their body and head.

:hammerhead:

PowerGlove
06-18-2010, 09:32 PM
I've been watching the NBA for damn near all my life and I have never noticed that.....

OneMoreSucka
06-18-2010, 09:33 PM
I've been watching the NBA for damn near all my life and I have never noticed that.....
No homo?

konex
06-18-2010, 09:34 PM
They do? :confusedshrug:

tpols
06-18-2010, 09:35 PM
they don't shave their legs lol. You just can't see the hair on black people's legs as easily.

jstern
06-18-2010, 09:35 PM
aerodynamics. less wind resistance so they can jump higher and run faster. much like why swimmers shave their body and head.

Nah, I'm thinking it probably has more to do with other stuff, for example if you slide on the floor with a harry body, then it's going to hurt. But I don't know. Definitely it helps with swimmers, but not sure why in basketball.

jstern
06-18-2010, 09:37 PM
they don't shave their legs lol. You just can't see the hair on black people's legs as easily.
You can see it on Tim Hardaway and he's black. Plus the white players, no hair.

jstern
06-18-2010, 09:38 PM
And it's not just their legs, it's their whole body.

Clocian-IGN
06-18-2010, 09:39 PM
wtf :roll:

west
06-18-2010, 09:41 PM
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Quizno
06-18-2010, 09:53 PM
http://www.hockeydrunk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/you_gay.jpg

1~Gibson~1
06-18-2010, 09:54 PM
wtf :roll:
this was my reacticion :oldlol:

i believe you guys are putting too much into this. jumping higher and running faster?? in a sport like swimming, where the difference between 1st and 2nd place are 0.000001 i could see how that matters, but how much higher could one jump with leg hair compared to those who dont have leg hair?

and if they shaved to jump higher and run faster then what would be the point of some of them wearing double-sock, sleeves, etc (not the gear that matters like ankle braces i mean the unnecessary things)?

Killer_Instinct
06-18-2010, 09:57 PM
This was posted in another thread, and never thought I'd use it twice, but it suits this perfectly.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o195/pinklady1908/346s5ew.gif

Every heterosexual males reaction this tragedy of a thread.

sodap
06-18-2010, 09:57 PM
i guess its better for massages and whatnot, better hygiene

SevereUpInHere
06-18-2010, 09:59 PM
I always thought it was to do with how often they get massages etc.
Also i assume nearly every player straps their ankles before they play. no point just shaving your ankles and having a hairline...

Knicks101
06-18-2010, 10:00 PM
It makes them aerodynamic when they fight.

GiveItToBurrito
06-18-2010, 10:06 PM
This was posted in another thread, and never thought I'd use it twice, but it suits this perfectly.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o195/pinklady1908/346s5ew.gif

Every heterosexual males reaction this tragedy of a thread.

Pretty dumb thread, but I love that gif.

btw, I don't think they do, I think that a lot of players are black guys who are just naturally not very hairy. I never really noticed the white guys, although I can't think of anyone who's really hairy and plays basketball or any sport for that matter. Who knows.

Clocian-IGN
06-18-2010, 10:17 PM
:lol It's like srsly, who asks why players shave their legs? were you just sitting on the couch thinking "yum look at those juicy chicken legs, what I would do to....wait a sec, why dont they have no hair!" :roll:

rezznor
06-18-2010, 10:40 PM
this was my reacticion :oldlol:

i believe you guys are putting too much into this. jumping higher and running faster?? in a sport like swimming, where the difference between 1st and 2nd place are 0.000001 i could see how that matters, but how much higher could one jump with leg hair compared to those who dont have leg hair?

and if they shaved to jump higher and run faster then what would be the point of some of them wearing double-sock, sleeves, etc (not the gear that matters like ankle braces i mean the unnecessary things)?
dude. i was kidding. i thought it was obvious.

jstern
06-18-2010, 10:42 PM
:lol It's like srsly, who asks why players shave their legs? were you just sitting on the couch thinking "yum look at those juicy chicken legs, what I would do to....wait a sec, why dont they have no hair!" :roll:
I never noticed it until this friend of mine told me back in 98. I didn't believe him, but then I saw he was right. After 12 years I'm like "Wtf do they shave their legs." Might as well find out why. Don't get why anyone would think it's gay to want to know the answer to something that seems odd, unless they're insecure like Tim Hardaway.

Rowe
06-18-2010, 10:49 PM
I tried it and its a noticeable difference for sports.

More hair = More sweat

You have more hair below your waist than on your head. When those hairs get wet with sweat it is noticeable in comparison to having shaved legs. When your legs are shaved the sweat cools your skin, when your legs are hairy it makes the hairs heavier.

Its the same reason why most basketball players dont wear dreads in comparison to football. The more hair you have the more you sweat

Tha Catalyst
06-18-2010, 10:52 PM
I have been told because for strapping and if they fall and slide along the court hair is more likely to tear their skin up. That is why cyclists have shaved legs.

Hibachi!
06-18-2010, 11:06 PM
i think its also for when they get their ankles taped

Heilige
06-18-2010, 11:07 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/2dcecn8.gif

Micku
06-18-2010, 11:08 PM
I tried it and its a noticeable difference for sports.

More hair = More sweat

Like Steve Nash chest hair. Eww.

jstern
06-18-2010, 11:09 PM
I have been told because for strapping and if they fall and slide along the court hair is more likely to tear their skin up. That is why cyclists have shaved legs.
That's what I've thinking. But why also their arm pits then?

Clocian-IGN
06-18-2010, 11:22 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/2dcecn8.gif

:roll: you dudes are crazy

Lebron23
01-30-2011, 01:05 AM

This

DuMa
01-30-2011, 04:58 AM
so they can get the jump ball tip. jump ball tipping is the main reason

sh0wtime
01-30-2011, 06:01 AM
I always thought it was to do with how often they get massages etc.
Also i assume nearly every player straps their ankles before they play. no point just shaving your ankles and having a hairline...

This is the main reason for shaving in basketball. I know many even in my former club that shaved their legs because of this, if you have hair on your legs is no problem, but you are in a world of ridicilous pain if you have to tape/strap up your legs/ankles, because afterwards they have to be removed and your hair will go with it, it almost works like wax but much more painful. :P

Afterwards you have an ugly hairline, might aswell take it all off or run around looking retarded. :)

rodman91
01-30-2011, 06:03 AM

I heard something similiar like this from a friend of mine.He was profesional at soccer.

rodman91
01-30-2011, 06:09 AM
jstern didn't you have a thread about Lebron's legs...Is that some kinda "Leg Fetishism" ? :eek:

sh0wtime
01-30-2011, 06:19 AM
I heard something similiar like this from a friend of mine.He was profesional at soccer.

Yes and you dont even have to "fall and slide" to tear it up, just moving your legs fast/quick at either direction can tear your skin up, what happens is that the tape/strap is moving when you are moving and moving the hair on your legs with it, which is very painful even if you dont tear up your skin, its simply just uncomfortable and painful especially if you run fast and do some quick and agile movements .

jstern
01-30-2011, 07:19 AM
Hahah, somebody bumped this.

What happened to the other thread on the same topic that was up last night? Did it get deleted? If so why? You would have to be really insecure to delete such a thread. Just did a Google search, and yes, it was deleted.

I remember some of the gifs in this thread, the Prince one and the Gay guy getting hit by a truck. I hope that one is fake.

Edit: I remember there being some references that were not so family friendly in that other thread, so perhaps that was the reason why it was deleted. But still, we're all adults here. Well, judging by some of the comments I'm sure there are a lot of 15 and under kids here. But still, the mods should just have the ability to delete individual posts. But better yet, let things run.

Edit: This thread was deleted a couple of hours ago, and then restored. I'll try not to bump it.

jstern
01-30-2011, 07:24 AM
jstern didn't you have a thread about Lebron's legs...Is that some kinda "Leg Fetishism" ? :eek:

It's purely a coincidence. The Lebron one was about a deformality that I also seem to have, and this one just about an odd phenomenon that I had no idea what the reason was for. Plus I didn't noticed that they shaved their legs until a friend told me, and I didn't believe him until I saw it on tv. So no, no leg fetish. The one thing I'm obsessed with is height.

bluechox2
01-30-2011, 08:07 AM
ive never really watch the players legs, i concentrate at other things, such as the game itself.

FultzNationRISE
04-28-2021, 12:45 AM
:roll: