PDA

View Full Version : Tracy McGrady would like to sign with the LA Lakers

NewYorkUSCtrojan
06-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Tracy McGrady would like to sign with the 2010 NBA champion Lakers, and has forwarded that sentiment to his agent and close colleagues, according to sources within the Lakers' front office.

Tracy McGrady, a perennial All-Star and two-time NBA Scoring champion, has undergone a significant hit to his reputation after failed stints in Toronto, Orlando, and Houston. To date, McGrady has not gone past the first-round in the NBA playoffs.

After having battled various knee and back injuries in the past couple years, Tracy McGrady has been working himself back into shape under the strenuous regimen of esteemed athletic trainer Tim Grover. Now that he has finished his physical rehabilitation program, McGrady is feeling rejuvenated enough to make a return in the 2010-2011 NBA season.

Despite having limited intentions to use the Mid-Level Exception this summer, Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak would consider pulling the trigger on the seven-time All-Star swingman should he accept a paycut at the MLE. Ron Artest, the defensive-minded role player who played a huge factor in this year's Lakers-Celtics NBA Finals, has reached out to McGrady to "end his career as a champion."

The Lakers are willing to explore a potential reunion of former Houston teammates Ron Artest and Tracy McGrady once the July 1 free agency begins.

In Los Angeles, Tracy McGrady would be asked to come off the bench as a role player, similar to what Lakers' forward Lamar Odom has done in the past two seasons. McGrady would provide the Lakers' bench unit with some offensive firepower and stability, and be another deadly weapon in the already loaded Lakers' arsenal.

Most importantly, the acquisition of Tracy McGrady would address the important need for a secondary slasher besides Kobe Bryant. As advocated by Laker great Jerry West, "I think they do need some changes. If you look, they have some free agents that are coming up but the thing that would most concern me is I think they need someone else other than Kobe Bryant getting in the lane."

Moreover, unlike former teams in which he was asked to carry the team throughout the entire season, Tracy McGrady understands that a potential role with the Lakers would not require such an emotionally draining position of leadership. McGrady has tremendous respect for the reigning Finals MVP Kobe Bryant, and has made it known that he would gladly accept a lesser role to play alongside whom he considers the best basketball player in the world.

As expressed by one high-ranked official within the Lakers' management, should Tracy McGrady not return to the New York Knicks next season or spurn retirement, "expect the deal to get done by end of July."

ashbelly
06-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Good. That means LA doesn't see the 2nd round. :applause:

imdaman99
06-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Yeah its possible you idiot, just need to make sure he's injured for the playoffs :roll:

L.Kizzle
06-21-2010, 12:01 AM
If Mac signs with the Lakers, and they don't get pass the first round, I don't know what would happen ...

bhallic24
06-21-2010, 12:06 AM
why would anyone want mcgrady at this point?

branslowski
06-21-2010, 12:08 AM
This would be good...I think he can handle the ball still and knock down a shot. He'd definitly get better again playing with Kobe...Prob get overrated as f*ck though..(Tends to happen wen playin with Bryant, obvious reasons)

RoseCity07
06-21-2010, 12:11 AM
Did he ever get mircofracture on that knee? This guy is useless until he gets that surgery. His knee's have been jacked up, seeing him get rim checked on a fastbreak was embarrassing.

hotsizzle
Do it Mitch! I would be so down with this, Tmac off the bench would provide much needed playmaking/scoring off the bench

Claude9
T-Mac jumping on bandwagons nowadays. Just months ago, he said that he wanted to stay in New York and help net in LeBron James.

hotsizzle
06-21-2010, 12:12 AM
Did he ever get mircofracture on that knee? This guy is useless until he gets that surgery. He's knee's have been jacked up, seeing him get rim checked on a fastbreak was embarrassing.

ya he did

L.Kizzle
06-21-2010, 12:13 AM
T-Mac jumping on bandwagons nowadays. Just months ago, he said that he wanted to stay in New York and help net in LeBron James.
He must know something, like LeBron isn't coming to NYC?

RazorBaLade
06-21-2010, 12:14 AM
man our bench would never run the triangle

bada bing
06-21-2010, 12:16 AM
i hate the lakers. saying that, i hope they sign Tmac. Will mean a first round playoff upset and internal termoil.... He's just jumping on the bandwagon.

Micku
06-21-2010, 12:17 AM
T-Mac with the Lakers is scary.

Doranku
06-21-2010, 12:17 AM
He must know something, like LeBron isn't coming to NYC?

Or he'd rather play with Kobe instead of LeBron. :lol

KB24
06-21-2010, 12:20 AM
tmac can be our big pg :lol I'm certainly not against it as long as he's healthy. But at this point i'd much prefer getting blake.

Duncan21formvp
06-21-2010, 12:24 AM
Artest and Mcgrady hate each other.

bagelred
06-21-2010, 12:25 AM
Shouldn't McGrady want to go to a team to put them OVER the top, not already at the top?

"Me too!!! I want a ring too!!!"

C'mon TMac....geez....go to Orlando or something..........

L.Kizzle
06-21-2010, 12:28 AM
Artest and Mcgrady hate each other.
Nobody in the NBA hates each other, especially not these two.

indiefan24
06-21-2010, 12:48 AM
Tracy McGrady would like to sign with the 2010 NBA champion Lakers, and has forwarded that sentiment to his agent and close colleagues, according to sources within the Lakers' front office.

Tracy McGrady, a perennial All-Star and two-time NBA Scoring champion, has undergone a significant hit to his reputation after failed stints in Toronto, Orlando, and Houston. To date, McGrady has not gone past the first-round in the NBA playoffs.

After having battled various knee and back injuries in the past couple years, Tracy McGrady has been working himself back into shape under the strenuous regimen of esteemed athletic trainer Tim Grover. Now that he has finished his physical rehabilitation program, McGrady is feeling rejuvenated enough to make a return in the 2010-2011 NBA season.

Despite having limited intentions to use the Mid-Level Exception this summer, Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak would consider pulling the trigger on the seven-time All-Star swingman should he accept a paycut at the MLE. Ron Artest, the defensive-minded role player who played a huge factor in this year's Lakers-Celtics NBA Finals, has reached out to McGrady to "end his career as a champion."

The Lakers are willing to explore a potential reunion of former Houston teammates Ron Artest and Tracy McGrady once the July 1 free agency begins.

In Los Angeles, Tracy McGrady would be asked to come off the bench as a role player, similar to what Lakers' forward Lamar Odom has done in the past two seasons. McGrady would provide the Lakers' bench unit with some offensive firepower and stability, and be another deadly weapon in the already loaded Lakers' arsenal.

Most importantly, the acquisition of Tracy McGrady would address the important need for a secondary slasher besides Kobe Bryant. As advocated by Laker great Jerry West, "I think they do need some changes. If you look, they have some free agents that are coming up but the thing that would most concern me is I think they need someone else other than Kobe Bryant getting in the lane."

Moreover, unlike former teams in which he was asked to carry the team throughout the entire season, Tracy McGrady understands that a potential role with the Lakers would not require such an emotionally draining position of leadership. McGrady has tremendous respect for the reigning Finals MVP Kobe Bryant, and has made it known that he would gladly accept a lesser role to play alongside whom he considers the best basketball player in the world.

As expressed by one high-ranked official within the Lakers' management, should Tracy McGrady not return to the New York Knicks next season or spurn retirement, "expect the deal to get done by end of July."

was this the one that started it all?

TryToBeUnbias
06-21-2010, 12:54 AM
was this the one that started it all?
yep.

Lakers13
06-21-2010, 01:05 AM
I wouldnt be imposed to it, he'd be an upgrade over anyone on our bench not named Lamar.

Bosnian Sajo
06-21-2010, 01:12 AM
Did he ever get mircofracture on that knee? This guy is useless until he gets that surgery. His knee's have been jacked up, seeing him get rim checked on a fastbreak was embarrassing.

Link please, I would like to see it.

oh the horror
06-21-2010, 01:21 AM
Unless they can get McGrady for a bag of chips, I dont like this. Use the money on someone that can be on the court, and hasnt had consecutive seasons of nothing but injuries.

MaxFly
06-21-2010, 01:31 AM

Supply a link, or I'll need to close this thread.

indiefan24
06-21-2010, 01:36 AM
Supply a link, or I'll need to close this thread.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/409052-nba-free-agency-tracy-mcgrady-strongly-interested-in-lakers

momo
06-21-2010, 01:40 AM
That he worked with grover says a lot to me.

TonyJones
06-21-2010, 01:43 AM
Its a shame what happened to Tmac (in regards to his injuries). There was a point in his career where you could argue that he was the best in the league.

JayGuevara
06-21-2010, 01:45 AM
That he worked with grover says a lot to me.

He worked with Grover before becoming a Knick, and you saw how that went.

Younggrease
06-21-2010, 01:55 AM

I think it went pretty well...He looked good on the Knicks, just needed to get in better basketball shape. He looked quick enough and and athletic enough to be a 7th man on a championship team(what LA needs)...He knows how to score, pass, and handle the ball...he would be great out there IF he can play defense....I think he would be fine especially because he can still rebound effectively out their do to his size and smarts

ZeN
06-21-2010, 03:11 AM
T-Mac wouldnt be worse than Walton, Sasha or Morisson... and they all made 5 million a piece, last season.

KNOW1EDGE
06-21-2010, 03:26 AM
LOL at people thinking T Mac will come in and fill the need of a "slasher" or getting to the hoop.

Dude is old, overweight and slow.

Even if he sheds the lbs, he is never gonna be able to attack the hoop like he used to, he will be out there to hit jumpers, draw defenders, and if anything, post up smaller guards.

TryToBeUnbias
06-21-2010, 03:29 AM
LOL at people thinking T Mac will come in and fill the need of a "slasher" or getting to the hoop.

Even if he sheds the lbs, he is never gonna be able to attack the hoop like he used to, he will be out there to hit jumpers, draw defenders, and if anything, post up smaller guards.

Doesn't really matter he cant possibly be worse than Luke, Sasha or Ammo. Anyway you look at it he'd be an upgrade over anyone on our bench not named Odom.

ProfessorMurder
06-21-2010, 03:30 AM
Unless they can get McGrady for a bag of chips, I dont like this. Use the money on someone that can be on the court, and hasnt had consecutive seasons of nothing but injuries.

If that's your criteria, do you still want Bynum?

flipogb
06-21-2010, 03:48 AM
he can put up some points of the bench, I dont care how he does it

Bond007
06-21-2010, 03:54 AM
I don't see any downside with this experiment. the upside far exceeds the downside as a bunch of laker players are just dead weight on the bench

kobesabi
06-21-2010, 04:19 AM
why would anyone want mcgrady at this point?
If he is better than Farmar, Sasha, Adam Morrison and cheap why not?

Adam gets $5M for sitting on the bench. I'm pretty sure T-Mac can do more than Adam.

LA KB24
06-21-2010, 04:31 AM
I definitely wouldn't mind. Obviously he won't attack the rim like he used to, but he has a good jumper and will find other ways to score off the bench. He can still be a valuable piece.

kobesabi
06-21-2010, 04:38 AM
Wouldn't it be funny if Yao Ming wants to join the Lakers too?

Kobe Mega team vs Lebron Mega team.

All Net
06-21-2010, 04:38 AM
Only way this happens if Mitch knows he can get a point guard for cheap. PG will be mitch's main target.

kobesabi
06-21-2010, 04:41 AM
Only way this happens if Mitch knows he can get a point guard for cheap. PG will be mitch's main target.
Not any PG, hopefully a young one that fit the triangle system with speedy legs and can play defense.

rfm767
06-21-2010, 04:53 AM
Nobody in the NBA hates each other, especially not these two.

Dragic & Sasha say hello

artest 93
06-21-2010, 04:54 AM
If McGrady goes to Lakers, I'm on that bandwagoner as long as he's there. Normally I don't prefer to go for the underdogs, but I'm going to have to jump on if he goes there. I can't believe it -- that's how much I like McGrady the player, although I think his best will be 12/5/5 next season.

Can't wait to see if that happens, although it's hilarious that everyone is flocking to play with the Gasol/Kobe duo.

mamba24
06-21-2010, 06:00 AM
Wouldn't it be funny if Yao Ming wants to join the Lakers too?

Kobe Mega team vs Lebron Mega team.

Lol Yao ming with kobe? lol i dont care who lebron got, even dwight will be owned.

Phil jackson knows how to use height. Triangle would demolish other offenses if pau and yao were inside.

oh the horror
06-21-2010, 06:09 AM
If that's your criteria, do you still want Bynum?

Hell dude, even Bynum seems like he has played more at this point than McGrady over the last few years.

But on a side note, sh*t, if they could move Bynum for someone nice, then I think they should go for that too. :lol

Bigsmoke
06-21-2010, 06:15 AM

u take your pick

T Mac or Adam Morrison

mamba24
06-21-2010, 06:25 AM
The Lakers have a good starting 4 and Fish is old but still can play as a starter.

Id like the lakers not to trade bynum, he clearly is our advantage.

Bynum, Pau, Artes, Kobe - Need a starting caliber PG

Odom, Fish,Tmac,Brown, Powell, Mbenga, Luke Walton.

Morrison and Farmar will walk as unrestricted Free Agents.

Sasha will most likey be traded or kept as an expirer.

Possibly get randy foye if Washington does not extend a qualifying offer.

Bigsmoke
06-21-2010, 06:31 AM
actually, the story about Miller wanting to play for the Lakers is true

http://thelakersnation.com/blog/2010/06/20/mike-miller-wants-to-play-for-lakers/

http://www.ubervu.com/conversations/thelakersnation.com/blog/2010/06/20/mike-miller-wants-to-play-for-lakers/

momo
06-21-2010, 06:41 AM

I did not know that. Another offseason of workouts... :confusedshrug: who knows.

Rashard
06-21-2010, 06:54 AM
I would have no problem with Tmac coming here. He'd be a great addition to the bench and he'd be a hungry vet to help keep these guys motivated. I havent read all 9 pages, so this may have been touched on earlier. Tmac would make an already extremely versatile team even more versatile.

Imagine the Lakers rolling out this lineup for stretches of the game:

PG: Tmac 6'8
SG: Kobe 6'6
SF : Artest 6'7
PF: Gasol 7'0
C: Bynum 7'2

Damn, that's incredible length versatility.

Rashard
06-21-2010, 06:57 AM
actually, the story about Miller wanting to play for the Lakers is true

http://thelakersnation.com/blog/2010/06/20/mike-miller-wants-to-play-for-lakers/

http://www.ubervu.com/conversations/thelakersnation.com/blog/2010/06/20/mike-miller-wants-to-play-for-lakers/

If im not mistaken, Tmac and Mike Miller are very good friends and were the best of friends when they played in Orlando together. Maybe they both try to find a way to reunite as teammates with the Lakers in LA. Miller via a sign and trade possibly and Tmac via MLE or vet min. Odom, Miller, Tmac would not be a bad first three off the bench at all.

Clifton
06-21-2010, 07:33 AM
He'd be a great addition if he could be their Grant Hill. He's one of the best passers in the NBA.

If he could play point, it would be ideal.

MAC system
06-21-2010, 07:40 AM
If McGrady joins expect an injury to Kobe or Gasol and a first round exit.

Scribbles
06-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Lol Yao ming with kobe? lol i dont care who lebron got, even dwight will be owned.

Phil jackson knows how to use height. Triangle would demolish other offenses if pau and yao were inside.

While we're at it, Give Lakers Battier. Pretty much 08-09 Rockets starting lineup

I am that I am
06-21-2010, 09:47 AM
As 7th man off the bench at mid level exception-YES I ****ING WANT MCGRADY ON THE LAKERS. Our team would be the biggest team of all time if we got T-mac, and he'd be hungry for a ring come playoff time, which we can't say for the rest of our bench considering they all already have 2.

Championship teams need to keep adding hungry players if they want to win it again, and a hungry T-mac off the bench is a huge upgrade for us, I don't expect alot out of him at all, having him will allow Kobe to rest more minutes in the regular season, and at worst he is a taller luke walton with better handles and better shot

niko
06-21-2010, 09:51 AM
I think it went pretty well...He looked good on the Knicks, just needed to get in better basketball shape. He looked quick enough and and athletic enough to be a 7th man on a championship team(what LA needs)...He knows how to score, pass, and handle the ball...he would be great out there IF he can play defense....I think he would be fine especially because he can still rebound effectively out their do to his size and smarts

It went terrible. He played great, we embraced him, and he basically said "Don't expect anything from me, i don't like expectations". So we were not allowed to be happy when he played well. He regularly took himself out of games, and he was a huge grouchy negative even when the feedback was good. He'd regulary give out reasons the Knicks couldn't get free agents, talk how he may never play again, how his knee hurt. He was this huge dark cloud because he wanted to be that.

For me, i wish him on the Lakers. :cheers: Do it!

Unless he gets totally healthy, i'd want to be nowhere near him because right now he's bitter because he's not 100%, and i don't see that changing unless he becomes 100%.

Se
06-21-2010, 11:01 AM
If they split the MLE between Earl Watson and Tracy McGrady, the Lakers probably win 70 if McGrady is in good health.

Sign Shaq to the minimum.

CT: Bynum/ O'Neal
PF: Gasol/ Odom
SF: Artest/ McGrady/ Odom
SG: Bryant/ McGrady
PG: Watson/ Fisher

Great 9 man rotation

ZeN
06-21-2010, 11:25 AM
[QUOTE=Se

I am that I am
06-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Shaq will never sign for the MLE of half the MLE but if he does, would Kobe even want to play with Shaq and have him in the lockerroom? Would Shaq even improve us at all?

A Shaq/Odom/T-Mac bench would be awesome in theory

The_Yearning
06-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Damn man I gotta respect these Laker fans. They sure know how to be greedy. I gotta start taking notes from these fools.

Se
06-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Shaq will never sign for the MLE of half the MLE but if he does, would Kobe even want to play with Shaq and have him in the lockerroom? Would Shaq even improve us at all?

A Shaq/Odom/T-Mac bench would be awesome in theory

Who knows what Shaq will or won't do. Guy is loaded. He's great friends with TMac, so I could see this happening.

mamba24
06-21-2010, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=Se

Mgamer20o0
06-21-2010, 12:49 PM
personally i think its best if they can find someone young who might improve over someone older. Divac and McKie come to mind...

StacksOnDeck
06-21-2010, 12:51 PM
God...say NO to Shaq. He's whored himself out to so many teams. Dude jumps from contender to contender every season.

Phoenix
Cleveland

What team is next?

Se
06-21-2010, 12:55 PM
God...say NO to Shaq. He's whored himself out to so many teams. Dude jumps from contender to contender every season.

Phoenix
Cleveland

What team is next?

He was traded dipshit

chazzy
06-21-2010, 01:13 PM
I'd rather use the MLE on a reliable PG instead of him.. he's still a big question mark, and more of a nice addition than a necessity. But I'd love to have him if we address the PG issue first.

1manfastbreak
06-21-2010, 01:14 PM
http://www.lakersuniverse.com/pictures/payton_malone.jpg

indiefan24
06-21-2010, 07:38 PM

haha

El Seano
06-22-2010, 11:01 AM

This was my immediate thought.

LA_Showtime
06-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Hell yes for two reasons:

1. Everyone blames T-Mac for not getting out of the first round. Please. The man can play and anyone who says otherwise is biased. He always raised his game in the playoffs, which brings me to my second point

2. Veteran experience. He's one of those guys who's on his way out but come playoff time would have a game or two or three where he turns back the clock and helps the team win.

JellyBean
06-22-2010, 01:43 PM
TMAC is a Phil Jackson type player; long, plays solid defense, and can score. This would be like getting Ron Harper with a complete skill set. Man the Lakers 2nd unit would be scary. Odom and TMAC, with Shannon Brown and the Machine, along with Pau. Or Luke. That is a nice bench.

Man, I hope the Lakers swing a deal like this.

JellyBean
06-22-2010, 01:46 PM

Awww. But they came at the wrong time. The team was in turmoil. GP was trying to get his thing and Malone was trying to get his. Shaq and Kobe were fighting. Kobe and Karl had their issue. Too much fighting amongest the fellas. Now, things are different.

okayabc123
06-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Lakers don't need Tmac to slash as much as the threat of making jumpers coming off the bench. If anything, Tmac will thrive under triangle offense because he doesn't need to do it all by himself. If he learns the nuances of the cuts and screens of the triangle, along with playing with Bynum, Gasol, and Kobe, he will get plenty of open 3s and mid-range jumpers.

The only concern is, is he defensively ready to come off the bench and provide sparks on the defensive end. I don't want to see blow bys on Tmac and him being lazy and give up easy points, because Lakers problems has always been when they don't start to play any type of defense (bench or starters), they let teams go on runs that eventually forces Kobe to jack up 10 contested, in your face, shots that goes in only 35-40% of the time.

bladefd
06-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Awww. But they came at the wrong time. The team was in turmoil. GP was trying to get his thing and Malone was trying to get his. Shaq and Kobe were fighting. Kobe and Karl had their issue. Too much fighting amongest the fellas. Now, things are different.

Yup, that team was crazy. Kobe and Phil also didn't like each other. Buss and Shaq also had problems because Shaq wanted his huge $30 mill per year for 6 years deal but Buss said no. Phil and Buss also had their issues. :roll:

The Iron Fist
06-22-2010, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE=Se

KB24
06-22-2010, 03:01 PM

No kidding. Not to mention they came in to be starters right away, where as Tmac would come in to be the 7th man :lol Also that team was a sinking ship, it was basically kobe + shaq + bunch of old guys and no bench. That team was a gamble and a last effort to get rings for GP and Malone. They were really close too, and outcome might've been different had Malone not gotten hurt that last round. Anyways current team is built to win the next couple of years so totally different situation.

Se
06-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Guess who asked to be traded?

Links please.

brantonli
06-22-2010, 03:59 PM
TMAC is a Phil Jackson type player; long, plays solid defense, and can score. This would be like getting Ron Harper with a complete skill set. Man the Lakers 2nd unit would be scary. Odom and TMAC, with Shannon Brown and the Machine, along with Pau. Or Luke. That is a nice bench.

Man, I hope the Lakers swing a deal like this.

Plays solid defense? Only when he wants to. I've seen players blow past McGrady like he's not there, and I've seen him play Battier-esque defense. IF he's done as reported, and finished his rehabilitation schedule, and he doesn't get knee pains by the first half, then I think he can help the Lakers. Otherwise he's just going to slow the ball movement down.

crisoner
06-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Don't need McGrady....I just don't see him happy coming off the bench etc.
He can still do good on a team like the Bulls etc. if they don't pick up LeBron or Wade. I like Mike Miller on the Lakers as well as Blake. Lakers pick those guys up I will be happy.