PDA

View Full Version : Pau Gasol Is A Superstar?

DetroitPistonFan
07-04-2010, 03:33 AM
Gasol is good and is All-Star but not a Superstar. A Superstar is Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Garnett and Duncan. Some people here really believe Gasol is a Superstar. Do you really believe Gasol is a Superstar?

Hiei
07-04-2010, 03:34 AM
That depends on what you mean by superstar... He is not a first option player, but he sure is one of the best second options.

Scribbles
07-04-2010, 03:37 AM
No. He's probably only a superstar in Spain

Tito Beasley
07-04-2010, 03:38 AM
umm, "superstar" is just a media characterization.

It's not an actual title you can have, like an All-star.

And can you explain to me why Gasol is any less valuable than Kobe or Wade? I'm sorry but only idiot fans think that. In actual terms of helping a team win, he is not.

Dumbass fans are just mesmerized by kobe's jab-step spinning fall-away three that he makes at a 32% rate or Wade's high flying dunks and shoe commercials because those are flashy and get shown on sportscenter more than Gasol's 11 rebounds, or timely passes, or altering shots with his length. I guess that's not "sexy" enough to be superstar material.

But bigs > smalls. Prime Gasol, Duncan, and Garnett are ALL >>>> Kobe

ginobli2311
07-04-2010, 03:41 AM
umm, "superstar" is just a media characterization.

It's not an actual title you can have, like an All-star.

And can you explain to me why Gasol is any less valuable than Kobe or Wade? I'm sorry but only idiot fans think that. In actual terms of helping a team win, he is not.

Dumbass fans are just mesmerized by kobe's jab-step spinning fall-away three that he makes at a 32% rate or Wade's high flying dunks and shoe commercials because those are flashy and get shown on sportscenter more than Gasol's 11 rebounds, or timely passes, or altering shots with his length. I guess that's not "sexy" enough to be superstar material.

But bigs > smalls. Prime Gasol, Duncan, and Garnett are ALL >>>> Kobe

prime gasol is not better than kobe. i agree with you on kg and duncan....but gasol? come on man. not even close.

gasol did not even win a single playoff game in his time in memphis. kobe was able to win 4 games in 2 years playing with less help than gasol had in memphis.

kobe's PER is better. kobe is better in the clutch. i could go on and on about win shares, mvp awards shares......trust me...its not close.

Scribbles
07-04-2010, 03:42 AM
Gasol is good and is All-Star but not a Superstar. A Superstar is Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Garnett and Duncan. Some people here really believe Gasol is a Superstar. Do you really believe Gasol is a Superstar?

Wade/Garnett/Duncan are no longer superstars

ginobli2311
07-04-2010, 03:43 AM
Wade/Garnett/Duncan are no longer superstars

wade is probably the best player in the league right now dude. LOL

Scribbles
07-04-2010, 03:44 AM
wade is probably the best player in the league right now dude. LOL

Read the topic. We're not talking about who the best player in the league is

Micku
07-04-2010, 03:45 AM
Gasol isn't popular enough. At least not over here in the US.

Is Bosh a superstar?

Go Getter
07-04-2010, 03:47 AM
Superstar? No.

Star player? Yes.

Tito Beasley
prime gasol is not better than kobe. i agree with you on kg and duncan....but gasol? come on man. not even close.

gasol did not even win a single playoff game in his time in memphis. kobe was able to win 4 games in 2 years playing with less help than gasol had in memphis.

lol @ "4 games in 2 years"

also, gasol was not in his prime in memphis. he's in his prime right now.

and playoff wins have to do with teams. so i'm not sure why you use that to compare two individuals. unless that's the extent of your analytical ability.

derek fisher > pau gasol ?

ginobli2311
Read the topic. We're not talking about who the best player in the league is

i know. but how is wade not a superstar?

Scribbles
07-04-2010, 03:48 AM
i know. but how is wade not a superstar?

He's not popular internationally, I dunno how popular he is in the US right now

ginobli2311
07-04-2010, 03:49 AM
lol @ "4 games in 2 years"

also, gasol was not in his prime in memphis. he's in his prime right now.

and playoff wins have to do with teams. so i'm not sure why you use that to compare two individuals. unless that's the extent of your analytical ability.

derek fisher > pau gasol ?

lol dude.

you want to talk teams? gasol had a lot more help in memphis than kobe did in those 2 years.

why bring up fisher.

we are comparing number 1 options on teams....not 5th options. context dude. context.

RazorBaLade
07-04-2010, 03:55 AM
I think this thread has proven that Tito is insane and possibly a hillbilly

Tito Beasley
07-04-2010, 04:01 AM
I think this thread has proven that Tito is insane and possibly a hillbilly

I'm sorry but you and almost every other Laker fan does not know basketball how basketball works, you only know how to love Kobe Bryant.

Believe it or not, those are two different sports.

ginobli2311
07-04-2010, 04:03 AM
I'm sorry but you and almost every other Laker fan does not know basketball how basketball works, you only know how to love Kobe Bryant.

Believe it or not, those are two different sports.

tito.

i'm as hard on kobe and i agree he is very over-rated here. but claiming that gasol is better is really out of control.

its just as bad as the people claiming kobe is equal to jordan or that kobe is better than duncan.

ShaqAttack3234
07-04-2010, 04:06 AM
Garnett and Duncan haven't been superstars since 2008, though Duncan is still an elite big man.

No, Gasol is not a superstar. Superstars are MVP candidates and franchise players, some superstars currently would be Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Howard, Chris Paul and Dirk. I'd throw Durant and Melo in there as well. Deron Williams and Steve Nash as well, but that's probably it.

monkeypox
07-04-2010, 04:14 AM
Depends on what the agenda is. If it's to prop up the Lakers roster, then yes he is a super star. If it's to show that Kobe's being carried, then also yes he's a super star. If it's to degrade the roster in favor of another roster or to compare rosters on the all time talent list, then no he is not a superstar. If it's to compare rosters to prop up Kobe's legacy... then again no he is not a super star. Like someone said, there's no award to attach to a player to definitively say one way or another so really you can say yes or no to fit your agenda.

amfirst
07-04-2010, 04:39 AM
Superstar is reserve for top notch first option. Gasol is a top notch 2nd option.

Scribbles
07-04-2010, 04:43 AM
Garnett and Duncan haven't been superstars since 2008, though Duncan is still an elite big man.

No, Gasol is not a superstar. Superstars are MVP candidates and franchise players, some superstars currently would be Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Howard, Chris Paul and Dirk. I'd throw Durant and Melo in there as well. Deron Williams and Steve Nash as well, but that's probably it.

Err no, superstars are players that are the most popular players in the NBA. Nothing to do with MVP candidates, franchise players

ShaqAttack3234
07-04-2010, 04:44 AM
Err no, superstars are players that are the most popular players in the NBA. Nothing to do with MVP candidates, franchise players

When someone says a player is emerging as a superstar or is a future superstar, most of the time they mean talent, not popularity.

flipogb
07-04-2010, 04:48 AM
there are only 4 true superstars in the NBA

Yao/Shaq/Kobe/Lebron

of course my definition of superstar in this case is how popular they are

Scribbles
07-04-2010, 04:54 AM
When someone says a player is emerging as a superstar or is a future superstar, most of the time they mean talent, not popularity.

no they don't. check the thread/dictionary

ShaqAttack3234
07-04-2010, 04:56 AM
no they don't. check the thread

Right, because this thread is some authority. :roll:

I guess people could consider a superstar in the NBA to mean different things. I consider it to mean a franchise player/MVP candidate.

Scribbles
07-04-2010, 05:02 AM
Right, because this thread is some authority. :roll:

I guess people could consider a superstar in the NBA to mean different things. I consider it to mean a franchise player/MVP candidate.

what about dictionaries, thats credible enough

flipogb
07-04-2010, 05:05 AM
a superstar should be franchise player good and wildly popular at the same time

DwightHowardMVP
07-04-2010, 05:57 AM
there are only 4 true superstars in the NBA

Yao/Shaq/Kobe/Lebron

of course my definition of superstar in this case is how popular they are
Superstar is a term used to refer to a celebrity who has great popular appeal and is widely-known, prominent or successful in some field.

Yao is not a superstar currently. You have to be one of the best at what you do and be extremely popular

TROLL_HUNTER
07-04-2010, 06:55 AM
Wait a minute... As far as i knew , a superstar is a superior player. As simple as that. Popularity is bullshit, pals. I mean, some guy can be very cool and stuff and then just be a flashlight jackass on the court, so for you that is a superstar?? for a fanboy yes. but fanboys know nothing about the game so that idea should be out of the picture. Superstar is the most impactful player on the court, somebody who is an elite all-star (above average allstar level).

to put names on it. Clear superstars:

Kobe, Lebron and Wade. THATS IT. Prime Duncan and Prime Garnett, too.
bordering superstar Nowitzki, Gasol, Howard, Yao.

the trhee I mentioned before are the only pure superstars in the league right now. If you put any of the following in the discussion you have to include them all cos they are at similar level. In fact its very funny how some people mention Dwight as a superstar and fail to ackowledge Gasol or Dirk. As for Yao I have serious trouble to labeling him a superstar considering the dude is made of glass

Scribbles
07-04-2010, 07:05 AM
Wait a minute... As far as i knew , a superstar is a superior player. As simple as that. Popularity is bullshit, pals. I mean, some guy can be very cool and stuff and then just be a flashlight jackass on the court, so for you that is a superstar?? for a fanboy yes. but fanboys know nothing about the game so that idea should be out of the picture. Superstar is the most impactful player on the court, somebody who is an elite all-star (above average allstar level).

to put names on it. Clear superstars:

Kobe, Lebron and Wade. THATS IT. Prime Duncan and Prime Garnett, too.
bordering superstar Nowitzki, Gasol, Howard, Yao.

the trhee I mentioned before are the only pure superstars in the league right now. If you put any of the following in the discussion you have to include them all cos they are at similar level. In fact its very funny how some people mention Dwight as a superstar and fail to ackowledge Gasol or Dirk. As for Yao I have serious trouble to labeling him a superstar considering the dude is made of glass

Honestly, is using a dictionary that hard?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/superstar

Random House Dictionary

1. a person, as a performer or athlete, who enjoys wide recognition, is esteemed for exceptional talent, and is eagerly sought after for his or her services.
2. any very prominent or successful person or thing.

The American Heritage

1. A widely acclaimed star, as in movies or sports, who has great popular appeal.
2. One that is extremely popular or prominent or that is a major attraction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstar

Superstar is a term used to refer to a celebrity who has great popular appeal and is widely-known, prominent or successful in some field.

SpanishACB
07-04-2010, 07:14 AM
I think it depends on what your definition of super star is. However I think that taking everything into account he is not a superstar. You cannot underrate his popularity in the league whatsoever, wasn't his shirt the most sold in the nba for a period of time?

TROLL_HUNTER
07-04-2010, 07:15 AM
Honestly, is using a dictionary that hard?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/superstar

Random House Dictionary

1. a person, as a performer or athlete, who enjoys wide recognition, is esteemed for exceptional talent, and is eagerly sought after for his or her services.
2. any very prominent or successful person or thing.

The American Heritage

1. A widely acclaimed star, as in movies or sports, who has great popular appeal.
2. One that is extremely popular or prominent or that is a major attraction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstar

thanks for the definition (no irony here). As i only care for talent and performance i dont pay much attention to MVP votes, fame, and that kind of stuff if that doesnt translate into great play on the court. Then, the answer is very clear NO

However, is that a good way to measure a star? i think the term should be redefined. from that point of view Shaq and even Jordan are still supertars no matter the Big Cactus is as slow as a real cactus today and Jordan has been an ex-player for years...

sbw19
07-04-2010, 07:18 AM
The last time two superstars were on the same team the Lakers 3peated. I didn't consider, say, AI and Melo superstars when they teamed up in Denver even though both were hugely popular. Gasol? He's popular in certain communities and is widely recognized for what he does, but until he gets some serious # of MVP votes, he's no better than borderline superstar in my book.

DwightHowardMVP
07-04-2010, 07:20 AM
thanks for the definition (no irony here). As i only care for talent and performance i dont pay much attention to MVP votes, fame, and that kind of stuff if that doesnt translate into great play on the court. Then, the answer is very clear NO

However, is that a good way to measure a star? i think the term should be redefined. from that point of view Shaq and even Jordan are still supertars no matter the Big Cactus is as slow as a real cactus today and Jordan has been an ex-player for years...
are Jordan @ shaq sought after for there talents? No
learn how to read breh

Doranku
07-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Tito Beasly is such a ****ING AWFUL poster. Gasol is not on the same level as Kobe or Wade or Bron. Period! He's a ****ing 2nd option. just cuz Kobe makes him look good doesn't mean he's a superstar. I mean before Gasol came to LA, who was calling him a superstar? ****, even an allstar? NO ONE HOMO BOY, U JUST MAD KOBE BE WINNING W/ GASOL.

chopchop20
07-04-2010, 07:35 AM
I think Kobe and Gasol compliment each other well. I definitely feel that Kobe's hard-nose nature has toughened up Pau and brought out the best in him. Conversely, after 14 years in the league, having a guy like Gasol is great for Kobe's career.

Scribbles
07-04-2010, 07:40 AM

Threads not about which player is better/how good a player is/his performance on the court, its about whether or not he's a superstar.

Shaq's no longer a superstar, he's an unknown internationally right now, Jordan is still very popular internationally outside the US

ImmortalD24
07-04-2010, 07:48 AM
This board is really getting bad.

Now just ask yourselves.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpYeekQkAdc

SpanishACB
07-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Shaq's no longer a superstar, he's an unknown internationally right now, Jordan is still very popular internationally outside the US

I think Shaq is still one of the most popular NBA players ever. Here in Spain, there's a bunch of people that don't even watch basketball that know who Shaq is. I'm pretty sure if I asked my mother she'd knew who Shaq is more so than Wade, Durant, Brandon Roy... heck, even Lebron.

Shep
07-04-2010, 08:19 AM
yes, gasol is 1 of the 6 superstars in the league

gpfanz
07-04-2010, 08:29 AM

Nope he is a product of Kobe

Duncan21formvp
07-04-2010, 09:23 AM

Don't see how he can't be a superstar when he led the Lakers a championship team in both PER and Win Shares on the season and led the entire league in WS in the playoffs.

G.O.A.T.
07-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Don't see how he can't be a superstar when he led the Lakers a championship team in both PER and Win Shares on the season and led the entire league in WS in the playoffs.

PER and Win Shares are the two factors I always try to take account when selling a players marketability...

Manny98
01-27-2019, 11:29 AM
Kobe pre Gasol

2005 - misses playoffs

2006 - barely makes the playoffs and chokes a 3-1 lead in the 1st round

2007 - swept in the 1st round

Kobe with Gasol

2008 - finals

2009 - Championship

2010 - Championship

https://i.postimg.cc/9MP6x9RT/photo.jpg

Guess who led the Lakers in both plus minus and win shares in both 09 and 10?

https://i.postimg.cc/N00VV5HV/Cma-U7-Py-WEAAao-IA.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/y8D8HYcJ/download-3.jpg

Gasol transformed a team from first round fodder into championship caliber if that is not superstar caliber i don't know what is

The Iron Fist
01-27-2019, 11:36 AM
Kobe pre Gasol

2005 - misses playoffs

2006 - barely makes the playoffs and chokes a 3-1 lead in the 1st round

2007 - swept in the 1st round

Kobe with Gasol

2008 - finals

2009 - Championship

2010 - Championship

https://i.postimg.cc/9MP6x9RT/photo.jpg

Guess who led the Lakers in both plus minus and win shares in both 09 and 10?

https://i.postimg.cc/N00VV5HV/Cma-U7-Py-WEAAao-IA.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/y8D8HYcJ/download-3.jpg

Gasol transformed a team from first round fodder into championship caliber if that is not superstar caliber i don't know what is

Tell us more about the 2013 playoffs when Kobe was out with an injury. Pau was finals mvp, right?
He did have Nash to feed him the ball and Dwight to anchor the defense.

Manny98
01-27-2019, 11:43 AM
GOATsol gon GOAT :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Manny98
01-27-2019, 11:48 AM
Tell us more about the 2013 playoffs when Kobe was out with an injury. Pau was finals mvp, right?
Tell us about how Gasol led the Lakers in pretty much every advanced statistic in 09 and 10?

Tell us how Kobe was first round fodder prior to Gasol?

G0ATbe
01-27-2019, 11:50 AM
Still can't believe we barely squeaked into the playoffs with all those guys, kobe was healthy 78 of those games. Tied for 8th seed and barely beat out Jazz for the 9th seed with Kobe,Gasol,Dwight,Nash,Artest, Jamison...was an embarrassing time to be a kobe fan

ImKobe
01-27-2019, 12:25 PM
Still can't believe we barely squeaked into the playoffs with all those guys, kobe was healthy 78 of those games. Tied for 8th seed and barely beat out Jazz for the 9th seed with Kobe,Gasol,Dwight,Nash,Artest, Jamison...was an embarrassing time to be a kobe fan

Kobe was single-handedly carrying that roster to a top 3 record in the 2nd half of the season.

Steve Nash: Missed 32 games (Hip/back/hamstring: 8 games, fractured right fibula: 24 games)

Steve Blake: Missed 37 games (Torn abdominal muscle: 37 games, strained right hamstring: 0 games, but out for tonight's game)

Pau Gasol: Missed 33 games (Tendinitis both knees: 8 games, concussion: 5 games, right plantar fascia tear: 20 games)

Jordan Hill: Missed 53 games (Torn labrum/damaged cartilage left hip: 53 games)

Dwight Howard: Missed 6 games (Torn labrum right shoulder: 6 games)

Metta World Peace: Missed 6 games (Right torn meniscus: 6 games)

Kobe Bryant: Missed 6 games (Left ankle sprain: 2 games, ruptured left Achilles tendon: 4 games)

The Iron Fist
01-27-2019, 12:28 PM
Yea, the team was obviously better without him. It showed in the playoffs when they won without him.