PDA

View Full Version : Luc Longley?

Tha Catalyst
07-06-2010, 06:30 AM
As an aussie who never really got to see any of longley's career. What can anyone tell me about his game..

dough
07-06-2010, 06:33 AM
A decent role player who got paid because he played for a crazy Bulls team.Never averaged over 6 rebounds or 30 minutes in his career.

ShoeGuy
07-06-2010, 06:40 AM
he was slow, but fit in well with the Bulls. A mediocre rebounder at best, but he was reliable in the triangle, hitting the 15 ft jumper from the corners off passes.

You should be proud of Bogut though. As long as he can stay healthy, he will take the Bucks far this year.

Go Getter
07-06-2010, 06:41 AM
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccc ccccccccc from the stands.

MJ used to get on him for not finishing with a dunk sometimes.

Brunch@Five
07-06-2010, 07:12 AM
probably the worst starting center of any championship winning team ever

Collie
07-06-2010, 07:13 AM
He was a bigger factor than many people think on the 2nd threepeat, mainly because he was 7-2 280 and could hit the open jumper. He was essential in the Bulls beating teams with elite centers.

Crystallas
07-06-2010, 07:23 AM
All I have to say, is thank god Rodman could guard any big man in the league at that time.

Luc hit open shots, because nobody took him seriously. But he got the job done. On any other playoff team, Luc Longley would have been a bench player.

Not to hate on Luc so much, he earned his paycheck.

ImmortalD24
07-06-2010, 07:31 AM
Luuuucccc from the stands.

MJ used to get on him for not finishing with a dunk sometimes.
Don't lie, you got it from these complied quotes:

"With Michael, a lot of us were really taken out of the picture. After the game, it was all Michael. But now, everything in the locker room is shared. There's no one person enjoying all the attention. It's fun because even if you see a headline, it's 'Bulls Lose,' not 'Bulls Lose but Jordan . . . .' We're all accepting the losses and enjoying the victories. There's no headlines saying, 'Pippen does this and Bulls win.' We're all being able to celebrate what we're doing." -- Scottie Pippen, missing Michael so much

"The difference now is we're a twelve-man team. We pass the ball around now and everyone gets involved." -- Horace Grant, showing more love for Michael

"When Michael was here, we put up with a lot of his (bleep). I can't believe you would let us come so far and then be so selfish." -- Bill Cartwright, advising Scottie Pippen to not "be like Mike"

Around the Bulls' offices, Jordan had long been referred to as "Jesus Christ Superstar" because of his celebrity and refusal to attend many team functions because of his outside-sponsor-related activities. -- Michael Jordan's just another guy on the team

"You can peck away at the idol with small chips, but this is not an idol made of wood, this one is born out of the imagination of people, an image too sturdy for mere events and actions to change." -- Phil Jackson on people's perception of Michael

"I told Luc if he doesn't catch any more of my passes, I'm going to hit him right in the face with it. I'm going to start throwing them right at his head." -- Michael on Luc Longley's inability to catch passes, to which Phil Jackson later asked him, "Why did you have to say that?"

"You got to take him down. That's how you deal with him. Phil would never let me practice against him. He'd either be on my team or I'd be sitting. Phil knew I was taking him down." -- Bill Cartwright on not putting up with Michael's (bleep)

"It's not my nature to pass up open shots." -- Michael on his shot selection after shooting 30% in a game

"Same old stuff, G. I'm still playing with a guy who's got to prove he can score fifty." -- Scottie Pippen, updating Horace Grant on the new team

"Same old thing, G. Hard to get the ball." -- Pete Myers, updating Horace Grant on the new team

"I'd be lying if I said I came out to pass the ball." -- Michael, talking about his 55-point game at MSG

"He knows I'm a far better one-on-one player. He wouldn't score a point." -- Michael, talking about a hypothetical one-on-one game with Magic Johnson in 1991

"These guys might not be as talented as you'd like them to be, but this is as good as they're going to be. If we run a system, everyone is going to have an opportunity to perform. They can't do what you can do, but they can have some level of success and perform even in critical situations." -- Phil Jackson, telling Michael how it's going to be

"Who the (bleep) are you? You've got no legs and you don't even play. Who are you to be telling us what we did wrong?" -- Michael, snapping at Larry Krystkowiak for offering some helpful advice to the starters

"Whose (bleep) idea was this? Is this Krause's idea?" -- Michael, showing his faith in the coaching staff and front office's playoff roster decisions

"I told you don't ever pass him the (bleep)' ball on the break." -- Michael, politely informing Pippen to not give the ball to Luc Longley on the break

"I'm tired of playing with these (bleep)' stiffs." -- Michael, expressing his appreciation for his teammates while walking off the court

"Why don't we run some pick and roll? Is it because our big guys can't set a screen?" -- Michael, expressing more appreciation

"I know sometimes I need to be more like M.J., but M.J. also needs to be more like me. He needs to be the player he is with more my mentality." -- Scottie Pippen on Michael's selfishness

Exposed.

Go Getter
07-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Don't lie, you got it from these complied quotes:

Exposed.
:roll:

First of all I lived in Chicago for over 20 years and watched almost every Bulls game in my basement with my family.

Secondly, the text you quoted doesn't say anything about Jordan getting on Luc for not finishing plays with dunks [it talks about him telling Pip not to pass it to Luc on the break and about him not catching passes]....I got my info from a game where he tricked a layup and the announcers were talking about how he should have dunked the ball [Jordan was giving him an earful].

Lastly, son, please don't bother grown folks with your nonsense....please, it's unbecoming of a young man.

Go Getter
07-06-2010, 07:37 AM
Another thing I recall is that the Bulls used to get Luc involved in the game early. I remember him scoring most of his buckets early in the game.

SevereUpInHere
07-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Funny seeing Luc's name today, I spotted a pic of him and his wife in a local mag just today, he was at some event, wearing a suit and a pair of chucks. He's nearly 2 foot taller than his wife. His white man afro is still strong.

Lebron23
05-06-2012, 07:05 AM
http://www8.gmanews.tv/webpics/v3/2012/05/640_ZZZ_050312_sports_b.jpg

[quote]Luc Longley runs a drill with Jr. NBA training camp participants at UP Diliman on Thursday. The NBA legend and former Chicago Bulls player is in the Philippines for a series of boot camps for select boys aged 10-14 years old. Roehl Ni

Shepseskaf
05-06-2012, 07:10 AM
I always thought that Longley was underrated. He was a skilled big man, with an adequate offensive game, including a nice short- to mid-range jumper. He also ran the floor well.

Defensively, he altered some shots and clogged up the lane.

Suffice it to say that he would be in the upper-echelon of big men if he were playing today.

kumquat
05-06-2012, 07:13 AM
:oldlol: epic bump...ahh luc longley. A poor mans marc gasol.

Xiao Yao You
05-06-2012, 07:40 AM
"I told Luc if he doesn't catch any more of my passes, I'm going to hit him right in the face with it. I'm going to start throwing them right at his head." -- Michael on Luc Longley's inability to catch passes, to which Phil Jackson later asked him, "Why did you have to say that?"

Sounds more like the Kwame MJ drafted than the Longley I remember.

He had skills. I watched him throughout his college career at New Mexico against BYU and Utah.

Go Getter
05-06-2012, 09:09 AM
I always thought that Longley was underrated. He was a skilled big man, with an adequate offensive game, including a nice short- to mid-range jumper. He also ran the floor well.

Defensively, he altered some shots and clogged up the lane.

Suffice it to say that he would be in the upper-echelon of big men if he were playing today.

You should have stopped while you were ahead.:oldlol:

Shepseskaf
05-06-2012, 09:36 AM
You should have stopped while you were ahead.:oldlol:
Longley was a mobile big man who ran the floor well. Maybe you should watch some of his games -- that is if you can use your mom's computer for that long.

swi7ch
05-06-2012, 10:03 AM
jordan's starting center.

enough said. :bowdown:

Living Being
05-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Longley was a mobile big man who ran the floor well. Maybe you should watch some of his games -- that is if you can use your mom's computer for that long.
OOOOOOOOoooohhhhh :hammertime:

Go Getter
05-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Let's make a bet. I'm sure no respected ISH or Bulls poster would agree with you. Luc was slow as shit.

Teanett
05-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Let's make a bet. I'm sure no respected ISH or Bulls poster would agree with you. Luc was slow as shit.
i'm with gogetter.
i've never seen luc longley finish a break.
why would he? he was playing with the best open court players of the time.
gogetter is still a jerk tho.

97 bulls
05-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Longley was a solid center. And perfect for the bulls. He has a wet mis range jumper, was nifty in the post and a good man defender. In todays league, hed be top 10.

L.Kizzle
05-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Longley was a solid center. And perfect for the bulls. He has a wet mis range jumper, was nifty in the post and a good man defender. In todays league, hed be top 10.
When he was playing, he was probably top 20, out of 19 teams?

I can't even remember some teams starting center from the mid 90s?

Dallas?
New Jersey?
Clippers?
T-Wolves?
Sacramento?
Warriors?
Cleveland?
Phoenix?

1987_Lakers
05-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Nothing special. He would be a 9th/10th man on some teams today. He had a nice jumper, but for a man his size he wasn't a good rebounder, he had trouble finishing inside, and he was flat footed. LOL @ the previous poster who said he ran the floor well.

Teanett
05-06-2012, 02:04 PM

top 10? i doubt it.

dwight
bynum
tyson
marc
tim
kg
jefferson
hibbert
kaman
bogut

that's ten already

1987_Lakers
05-06-2012, 02:06 PM
top 10? i doubt it.

dwight
bynum
tyson
marc
tim
kg
jefferson
hibbert
kaman
bogut

that's ten already

He's biased, give him a break.:lol

1987_Lakers
05-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Centers today better than Longley

dwight
bynum
tyson
marc
tim
kg
jefferson
hibbert
kaman
bogut
noah
b. lopez (injured this season)
gortat
nene
mcgee
d. jordan
cousins
camby
dalembert
hawes
Pekovic
monroe (very underrated)
asik

Longley wouldn't even be top 20 in today's league, and let's be real, if he didn't play for Chicago nobody would even know who he was.

Shepseskaf
05-06-2012, 02:50 PM
This is why I dislike debating things that happened 20 years ago with someone who was probably born yesterday.

What I meant about Longley, if it wasn't clear, is that he ran the floor well for someone of his height and size. I did not say he was the freaking flash, or that he had elite-level speed.

If you're comparing him to other Bulls centers of his era, I would say that he was more mobile than either Cartwright or Wennington. Both of them, I would consider flatfooted and slow.

I have a bunch of old Bulls games, and have noted more then once that Longely was much quicker and more mobile than people give him credit for. Obviously, some posters here think he was some kind of stiff, but I don't agree.

Watch some old Bulls games, or look at some YouTube clips. You might be surprised.

Teanett
05-06-2012, 03:01 PM
I have a bunch of old Bulls games, and have noted more then once that Longely was much quicker and more mobile than people give him credit for. Obviously, some posters here think he was some kind of stiff, but I don't agree.

of course he was a stiff.
the prototypical stiff with a mid range shot. the only reason he started over wennington was because he was taller. wennington was a better shooter.
longley was uwe blab deluxe.

97 bulls
05-06-2012, 04:06 PM
It depends on how you look at it. I feel if longley plays today, against lesser quality centers as compared to what he had to compete against, his production would be much better. Id venture to guess his production per game would be around 13/8 with 2 blocks. Thats marc gasol type numbers.

Teanett
05-06-2012, 04:13 PM
It depends on how you look at it. I feel if longley plays today, against lesser quality centers as compared to what he had to compete against, his production would be much better. Id venture to guess his production per game would be around 13/8 with 2 blocks. Thats marc gasol type numbers.

he could never stay in the game long enough for that.

97 bulls
05-06-2012, 04:22 PM
He's biased, give him a break.:lol
Im not being biased, i just take evrything into consideration. Olajuwan, Ewing, Robinson, Mourning, and Mutombo were just as dominant defensive centers as Dwight Howard. Even better arguably. Then you have the next tier of defensive centers like muresan, bradly, and camby. Who were on line with tyson chandler.

Teanett
05-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Im not being biased, i just take evrything into consideration. Olajuwan, Ewing, Robinson, Mourning, and Mutombo were just as dominant defensive centers as Dwight Howard. Even better arguably. Then you have the next tier of defensive centers like muresan, bradly, and camby. Who were on line with tyson chandler.

brother, that's biased.
chandler is better than them.

1987_Lakers
05-06-2012, 04:26 PM

The game today has made it harder for big men to score and easier on perimeter players so I highly doubt he averages 13. And averaging 8 rpg is a stretch, in 30 MPG he barley averaged 6 RPG in 1998 and that came when centers like Ewing, Olajuwon, & Robinson were on their last legs. Mutumbo made the All-NBA team that year so it's not like centers were extremely stacked.

To say he would put up the same production as Marc Gasol is ludicrous.

1987_Lakers
05-06-2012, 04:28 PM

Players like Olajuwon, Ewing, & Robinson from 96-98 were not as dominant defensively than current Dwight Howard, sorry.

97 bulls
05-06-2012, 04:31 PM
he could never stay in the game long enough for that.
Yeah cuz hes guarding better quality centers than now.

97 bulls
05-06-2012, 04:48 PM
brother, that's biased.
chandler is better than them.
Hes better as a whole, but defensively? No those guys controlled the paint just as good as chandler.

97 bulls
05-06-2012, 05:02 PM
The game today has made it harder for big men to score and easier on perimeter players so I highly doubt he averages 13. And averaging 8 rpg is a stretch, in 30 MPG he barley averaged 6 RPG in 1998 and that came when centers like Ewing, Olajuwon, & Robinson were on their last legs. Mutumbo made the All-NBA team that year so it's not like centers were extremely stacked.

To say he would put up the same production as Marc Gasol is ludicrous.
Ludicrous? Gasol avg 14 and 8 this past year. And his role in memphis offense was alot larger than longleys was in chicago.

1987_Lakers
05-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Ludicrous? Gasol avg 14 and 8 this past year. And his role in memphis offense was alot larger than longleys was in chicago.

Gasol put up 14.5 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks per game and was selected to the All-Star team. Longley could only dream of putting up those numbers.

Shepseskaf
05-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Gasol put up 14.5 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks per game and was selected to the All-Star team. Longley could only dream of putting up those numbers.
As has already been said, Longley didn't get as many minutes as Gasol (~20 mins per game). On a per-36 minute scale, his career numbers are 12.3/8.4/2.5/1.6.

I don't see any huge differences there.

1987_Lakers
05-06-2012, 05:29 PM
As has already been said, Longley didn't get as many minutes as Gasol (~20 mins per game). On a per-36 minute scale, his career numbers are 12.3/8.4/2.5/1.6.

Stats don't really tell the whole story. Gasol is a MUCH better basketball player than Longley. Gasol is a better rebounder, a better finisher inside, a better passer, more active on the defensive end and he is much more mobile than Longley. Longley couldn't give you 35 MPG because of his limited stamina, you don't have that problem with Gasol.

Really, stats is the last thing you want to use when judging a player like Marc Gasol, a player like Greg Monroe has similar stats to Gasol, but anyone who knows the game will tell you that Marc is the better player by a good margin.

You guys must be on some :biggums: if you really think Longley would average 14/9 in today's league.

Xiao Yao You
05-06-2012, 05:39 PM
If you combined all of the Bulls centers from their 6 Championships you might get close to Gasol.

97 bulls
05-06-2012, 05:53 PM

As the fourth option no less. Playing against better centers.

Shepseskaf
05-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Stats don't really tell the whole story. Gasol is a MUCH better basketball player than Longley. Gasol is a better rebounder, a better finisher inside, a better passer, more active on the defensive end and he is much more mobile than Longley. Longley couldn't give you 35 MPG because of his limited stamina, you don't have that problem with Gasol.
Again, no one is saying that Longley was elite. I think, though, that he's being seriously undersold.

Stats don't tell the whole story sometimes, but in this case it does tell part of the story. Longley was a very serviceable big man who would have done more if his minutes had been expanded.

Of course, the Grizz don't have any player nearly as ball-dominant as MJ, so its a comparison to Gasol is a difficult one to make.

Gasol has had stamina issues, by the way.

Xiao Yao You
05-06-2012, 05:57 PM
the Grizz don't have any player nearly as ball-dominant as MJ, so its a comparison to Gasol is a difficult one to make.

It's not. Gasol might have been an all-star on those Bulls teams. I like Lucy but he's no where near the player Marc is.

Shepseskaf
05-06-2012, 05:59 PM
It's not. Gasol might have been an all-star on those Bulls teams. I like Lucy but he's no where near the player Marc is.
I would have liked to see them match up. Might be a bit more competitive than you might think.

Xiao Yao You
05-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Lucy is more in Steisma's class.

97 bulls
05-06-2012, 06:07 PM

Really, stats is the last thing you want to use when judging a player like Marc Gasol, a player like Greg Monroe has similar stats to Gasol, but anyone who knows the game will tell you that Marc is the better player by a good margin.

You guys must be on some :biggums: if you really think Longley would average 14/9 in today's league.
Thats due to monroe playing for detroit and gasol memphis. Memphis is a much better and popular team. Thus gasol garners more recognition

97 bulls
05-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Nowhere near? Thats pushing it. I dont think longley has the hands of gasol, but gasol is not as good as longley was on defense. Saying that, my saying that longley would be a top 10 center now is pushing it. But hed definately be middle of the pack.

Shepseskaf
05-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Lucy is more in Steisma's class.
Stop the nonsense.

senelcoolidge
05-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Luc was a lottery pick by the Minnesota Timberwolves one year after they drafted another 7 footer in the lottery (Felton Spencer). He was always a role player. He was on those Bulls championship teams, the latter 3. Nothing special. Just a big guy, he had decent passing skills. The Bulls had role players for their center, it was just a position that those Bulls teams didn't rely on for offense.

Xiao Yao You
05-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Stop the nonsense.

I'm not the one comparing him to Gasol. That is nonsense. I watched Lucy from the time he was 18 and he did some nice things on the court but he wasn't the player Gasol is.

Shepseskaf
05-06-2012, 11:23 PM
I'm not the one comparing him to Gasol. That is nonsense. I watched Lucy from the time he was 18 and he did some nice things on the court but he wasn't the player Gasol is.
Get a clue. Longley is a hell of a lot closer to Gasol than he is to Greg Steisma.

Go Getter
05-06-2012, 11:45 PM
This is why I dislike debating things that happened 20 years ago with someone who was probably born yesterday.

What I meant about Longley, if it wasn't clear, is that he ran the floor well for someone of his height and size. I did not say he was the freaking flash, or that he had elite-level speed.

If you're comparing him to other Bulls centers of his era, I would say that he was more mobile than either Cartwright or Wennington. Both of them, I would consider flatfooted and slow.

Watch some old Bulls games, or look at some YouTube clips. You might be surprised.
I watched those games in my moms basement on WGN fool. I went to 3 celebrations in Grant Park. I went to games in the old Chicago Stadium. So quit reaching Joe.

Comparing Luc to two other slow players does not make him mobile.

He was not mobile he was slow yet solid.

Again, you should have quit when you were ahead.

Shepseskaf
05-06-2012, 11:50 PM
I watched those games in my moms basement on WGN fool.
Maybe she should have had a better tv. You might have seen the games more clearly.

Go Getter
05-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Maybe she should have had a better tv. You might have seen the games more clearly.
Or maybe you're talking out the side of your neck and have he-motions for Luc Longley. Find me ONE person or quote touting Luc's mobility. Find me ONE Bull's fan to back your story. Better yet, lets make a thread in the Bulls section about it, loser has to sport the avi of the winner's choice.

Shepseskaf
05-07-2012, 12:13 AM
Or maybe you're talking out the side of your neck and have he-motions for Luc Longley. Find me ONE person or quote touting Luc's mobility. Find me ONE Bull's fan to back your story. Better yet, lets make a thread in the Bulls section about it, loser has to sport the avi of the winner's choice.
I don't think so. I've already explained my statements earlier in the thread. Take a look.

Go Getter
05-07-2012, 12:15 AM
I don't think so. I've already explained my statements earlier in the thread. Take a look.

And our opinions differ. You acted like I was too young to watch Luc and you were wrong just like you're wrong about him being a mobile center.

Shepseskaf
05-07-2012, 12:20 AM
And our opinions differ.
/thread

97 bulls
05-07-2012, 12:30 AM
Because they played different roles on their respective teams. Like i saiid earlier, their skillsets are quite similar. With longley being the better defender, and gasol having better hands. And i feel gasol was better around the basket. As far as finishing plays off passes. Longley has a tendency to lay the ball up as opposed to dunk. I think he improved in his stint with the bulls though.

Go Getter
05-07-2012, 12:35 AM
/thread
you're still wrong though:oldlol:

Xiao Yao You
05-07-2012, 02:30 AM
Because they played different roles on their respective teams. Like i saiid earlier, their skillsets are quite similar. With longley being the better defender, and gasol having better hands. And i feel gasol was better around the basket. As far as finishing plays off passes. Longley has a tendency to lay the ball up as opposed to dunk. I think he improved in his stint with the bulls though.

Gasol would have played a much larger role than Lucy or any Bulls center did on those 6 Bulls Championship teams. Lucy would be fighting Hamaddi for the starting spot in Memphis.

archkiller
05-07-2012, 03:07 AM
He is better than Joel Anthony.

97 bulls
05-07-2012, 03:40 AM
Gasol would have played a much larger role than Lucy or any Bulls center did on those 6 Bulls Championship teams. Lucy would be fighting Hamaddi for the starting spot in Memphis.
Gasol avg 15 ppg as a second option with the grizzlies. His and longleys per 36 min stats are almost exactly the same. But longley was the fourth option with the bulls. And was primarily relegated to being a jumpshooter.

Xiao Yao You
05-07-2012, 03:52 AM
I could see Gasol as a 3rd option maybe even 2nd if Pippen didn't cry about it since he wasn't that great in the half court game anyway. Lucy wouldn't be a 2nd option with the Grizzlies no matter how many injuries they had.

1987_Lakers
05-07-2012, 04:04 AM
Marc on that Bulls team would be even more scarier. The half court offense would be smoother and his ability to pass and set screens would make things easier for MJ & Pippen.

97 bulls
05-07-2012, 04:31 AM
Marc on that Bulls team would be even more scarier. The half court offense would be smoother and his ability to pass and set screens would make things easier for MJ & Pippen.
Longleys 3 championship rings, and 72, 69, and 62 win seasons say he did just fine.

1987_Lakers
05-07-2012, 04:37 AM
Longleys 3 championship rings, and 72, 69, and 62 win seasons say he did just fine.

Bulls would have won 70+ games 3 years in a row with Gasol instead of Longley.

Shepseskaf
05-07-2012, 06:30 AM
Bulls would have won 70+ games 3 years in a row with Gasol instead of Longley.
Seriously, you can't make that kind of assumption, because it would depend on so many other factors.

And when did Marc Gasol become some kind of god? Is he supposed to be the prototypical big man now? :oldlol:

I like Gasol's game, and I pull for the Grizz, but c'mon.

TheMan
05-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc!

SilkkTheShocker
05-07-2012, 03:38 PM
I could see Gasol as a 3rd option maybe even 2nd if Pippen didn't cry about it since he wasn't that great in the half court game anyway. Lucy wouldn't be a 2nd option with the Grizzlies no matter how many injuries they had.

Stop calling him Lucy, fruitcake

guy
05-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Gasol avg 15 ppg as a second option with the grizzlies. His and longleys per 36 min stats are almost exactly the same. But longley was the fourth option with the bulls. And was primarily relegated to being a jumpshooter.

I haven't read this whole thread. What exactly are you trying to say here?

1987_Lakers
05-07-2012, 04:07 PM

You already know how 97 Bulls is... He thinks Longley = M. Gasol. Kukoc = Dirk. Pippen = Bird.

Dude is delusional.

97 bulls
05-07-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm saying longley was better than what some of these people give him credit for. And that the centers he played against were far superior to the centers now.

You can't just say marc gasol is better than longley cuz gasol avg 15 ppg and longley 10. Their roles on their respective teams were different.

97 bulls
05-07-2012, 04:59 PM
You already know how 97 Bulls is... He thinks Longley = M. Gasol. Kukoc = Dirk. Pippen = Bird.

Dude is delusional.
You dont look at players the same way I do. You look at stats, I look at talent. You dont take into consideration a players role on his team, I do.

Just look at manu ginobli. Its clear hes a much better playerand than what hes been able to show during his career with the spurs. The same hold true for james harden. The same applies to kukoc.

And for the last time, when we had the conversation about pippen and bird, it was in reference to how they would fair on the court vs each other. As part of a dream matchup between the celtics and bulls. I called them a wash and backed it up. You had no rebutal. That was two years ago, get over it

1987_Lakers
05-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Kukoc vs Dirk thread... http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235796

This comparison is based on talent, not personal achievements. There's nothing that I've seen between the two, that would put dirk that far ahead of kukoc.

You're not fooling anyone, you are extremely biased.

1987_Lakers
05-07-2012, 05:19 PM
I'm saying longley was better than what some of these people give him credit for. And that the centers he played against were far superior to the centers now.

You can't just say marc gasol is better than longley cuz gasol avg 15 ppg and longley 10. Their roles on their respective teams were different.

Do you know how insane this reply sounds? I too can say the same BS.

I'm saying that Ramon Sessions is better than what some people give him credit for. And that the point guards he is playing against now are far superior to the point guards of the 90's.

You can't just say Mark Price is better than sessions cuz Price avg 17/8 and sessions 13/6. Their roles on their respective teams were different.

gasolina
05-07-2012, 05:22 PM
It doesn't mean that if both players are white, tall, european shooters, then they have a comparable game. (Kukoc and Dirk) It's an insult to even just call Dirk a shooter, he's a flat out scorer.

Luc might have the same skillset as MG, but it doesn't mean they have the same skill level. I.E. Luc can pass out of the triangle, MG can pass out of the high post to a backdoor cutting Tony Allen

The poor man's Marc Gasol in a great comparison

97 bulls
05-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Kukoc vs Dirk thread... http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235796

You're not fooling anyone, you are extremely biased.
Im not backing off anything ive said. I resonded to the comment that kukoc was nt in dirks stratopere or something. Thats really pushing it. And i qualified my statement. I dont see what my post about dirk and kukoc proves.

1987_Lakers
05-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Im not backing off anything ive said. I resonded to the comment that kukoc was nt in dirks stratopere or something. Thats really pushing it. And i qualified my statement. I dont see what my post about dirk and kukoc proves.

Really?

Dirk - 11 time NBA All-Star
Kukoc - 0

Dirk - 1 NBA League MVP Award
Kukoc - 0

Dirk - 11 All-NBA Team selections
Kukoc - 0

Dirk - 1 Finals MVP Award
Kukoc - 0

How are these guys on the same level? Oh I forgot, they both played different "roles" for their respective teams.:oldlol:

97 bulls
05-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Do you know how insane this reply sounds? I too can say the same BS.

I'm saying that Ramon Sessions is better than what some people give him credit for. And that the point guards he is playing against now are far superior to the point guards of the 90's.

You can't just say Mark Price is better than sessions cuz Price avg 17/8 and sessions 13/6. Their roles on their respective teams were different.
Sessions is a good player. But theres nothing ive seen out of him that would put him on mark prices level. Not even statistically. Now if sessions turns in another 5 seasons of 17 and 8 then well talk.

Like i stated earlier, its clear james harden is much better than what hes able to show with the thunder. I think if hes at least a 23-25good ppg scorer with another team and a larger role.

cteach111
05-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Pippen is on Magic's level
Kukoc is on Dirk's level
Longley is on Marc Gasol's level

i dunno, i mean at some point, isn't this just a little over the top?

97 bulls
05-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Really?

Dirk - 11 time NBA All-Star
Kukoc - 0

Dirk - 1 NBA League MVP Award
Kukoc - 0

Dirk - 11 All-NBA Team selections
Kukoc - 0

Dirk - 1 Finals MVP Award
Kukoc - 0

How are these guys on the same level? Oh I forgot, they both played different "roles" for their respective teams.:oldlol:
If were talking about accomplishment, then kukoc has no place in a conversation with dirk. Talent? Thats different. Dirk is top 25. Kukoc is top 150.

97 bulls
05-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Pippen is on Magic's level
Kukoc is on Dirk's level
Longley is on Marc Gasol's level

i dunno, i mean at some point, isn't this just a little over the top?
Dont listen to him. He doesnt comprehend stuff well. Even more, did you read my posts? Or just his?

El Kabong
05-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Completely mediocre player, who was lucky to play with some of the best players (and coach) in basketball history. Of course that meant he got overrated and overpaid, but he isn't the first big guy that's happened to and Phoenix were desperate for a legit big (I think they were starting old man Hot Rod Williams for large periods the season before).

He was a steal for the Bulls since they only gave up Stacy King for him though. MJ had plenty of nice things to say about that guy.

Big#50
05-07-2012, 06:24 PM
LoL dude sucked. Can't compare him to Gasol. Dude was slow as ****. LOL someone said he ran the floor great? LOL wtf Is going on. Dude was just a big body. Could hit a shot if he was wide open. Had absolutely no handles, had the worst hands ever, and was always getting shit on. LOL

97 bulls
05-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Completely mediocre player, who was lucky to play with some of the best players (and coach) in basketball history. Of course that meant he got overrated and overpaid, but he isn't the first big guy that's happened to and Phoenix were desperate for a legit big (I think they were starting old man Hot Rod Williams for large periods the season before).

He was a steal for the Bulls since they only gave up Stacy King for him though. MJ had plenty of nice things to say about that guy.
Funny thing is, theres a vid of longleys highlights and in it, you see jordan passing to him alot.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qO9Z08tA6dw

And he was damaged good by the time he went to phoenix. And retired soon after. He only played in 30 games

I do feel playing alongside jackson, jordan, pippen and rodman, turned him from a certified bust, to a decent center.

97 bulls
05-07-2012, 06:27 PM
LoL dude sucked. Can't compare him to Gasol. Dude was slow as ****. LOL someone said he ran the floor great? LOL wtf Is going on. Dude was just a big body. Could hit a shot if he was wide open. Had absolutely no handles, had the worst hands ever, and was always getting shit on. LOL
Actually, in this vid, you do see him being the recipient of multiple passes on a fastbreak. Not saying he david robinson or anything. But he lumbered

1987_Lakers
05-07-2012, 06:30 PM
If were talking about accomplishment, then kukoc has no place in a conversation with dirk. Talent? Thats different. Dirk is top 25. Kukoc is top 150.

Top 25 and top 150 are different levels.

guy
05-07-2012, 07:00 PM

:oldlol: I can imagine what Phil said to him "We'd be a better team with better scoring, shotblocking, rebounding, and passing from our center, but we don't need to be a better team so we are not going to expect you to do that." There's a reason certain players' roles are different and it usually has to do with how good of a player they are. Luc Longley's role was to hit an open jumper or layup once in a while, be a big body thats not a defensive liability, and commit fouls that Jordan and Pippen don't have to commit. Is that screaming "all-star" to you like Marc Gasol was this year? Sure, Gasol may have not been an all-star back then but the difference in eras in 15 years isn't that huge to think Gasol wouldn't have still been a top 10 center in the league back then and Longley would've somehow been all-star caliber in this era. Bottom line is Longley's role would've been bigger if he was actually BETTER.

Xiao Yao You
05-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Stop calling him Lucy, fruitcake

That's his name. Luc is short for Lucy. Apparently an Aussie thing or his parents were very cruel?

97 bulls
05-07-2012, 08:39 PM
:oldlol: I can imagine what Phil said to him "We'd be a better team with better scoring, shotblocking, rebounding, and passing from our center, but we don't need to be a better team so we are not going to expect you to do that." There's a reason certain players' roles are different and it usually has to do with how good of a player they are. Luc Longley's role was to hit an open jumper or layup once in a while, be a big body thats not a defensive liability, and commit fouls that Jordan and Pippen don't have to commit. Is that screaming "all-star" to you like Marc Gasol was this year? Sure, Gasol may have not been an all-star back then but the difference in eras in 15 years isn't that huge to think Gasol wouldn't have still been a top 10 center in the league back then and Longley would've somehow been all-star caliber in this era. Bottom line is Longley's role would've been bigger if he was actually BETTER.
Im not saying longley was held back. If you read, i even said i feel jackson, jordan, pippen, and rodman molded him into what became a serviceable center. Cuz he was well on his way to being a certified bust in minnesota.

Saying that. I dont see how if longley were to play opposite lower quality centers like today, that he wouldnt look like a better center. Again, follow me, due to play lesser caliber/quality centers. Why is this so hard to comprehend? Its no different than the stance by alot of people that dwight howard would be the a top 7-10 center in the 90s, but hes regarded as the best center today. Whats the difference between yao ming and rik smits? Why couldnt smit dominate the 90s like ming did the 00s?

I do feel kukoc was held back though. Similar to james harden and manu ginobli.

97 bulls
05-07-2012, 09:00 PM
I just think this notion that the bulls weakness was a center needs to stop. They werent shaq, or anything close. But they were great for what the bulls needed. Big strong post defenders that wont get pushed around down low. And offensively, they all were great jumpshooters.

And its why i loved the 97 bulls. Brian Williams was a good center. And he was athletic and capable of scoring in the post. How many teams can say they have three 7 footers and another 6'11 player, then another great low post defender in Rodman?

97 bulls
05-07-2012, 09:01 PM
That's his name. Luc is short for Lucy. Apparently an Aussie thing or his parents were very cruel?
Stop lying. His name is Lucien.

1987_Lakers
05-07-2012, 09:13 PM
And its why i loved the 97 bulls. Brian Williams was a good center. And he was athletic and capable of scoring in the post. How many teams can say they have three 77 footers and another 6'11 player, then another great low post defender in Rodman?

Your other two 7 footers after Longley were a 43 year old Robert Parish and Bill Wennington who was a mediocre shot blocker despite his size. Having a bunch of 7 footers doesn't mean anything if they can't play.

Look at the current Nuggets team. They have three 7 footers. McGee, Koufos, & Mozgov. Despite that size the Lakers more skilled 7 footers are having their way against them. Mozgov and Koufos are scrubs, McGee gives them a good defensive presence, but lacks offense. 6 foot 10 Jordan Hill is grabbing more rebounds than any of the Nuggets 7 footers.

97 bulls
05-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Your other two 7 footers after Longley were a 43 year old Robert Parish and Bill Wennington who was a mediocre shot blocker despite his size. Having a bunch of 7 footers doesn't mean anything if they can't play.

Look at the current Nuggets team. They have three 7 footers. McGee, Koufos, & Mozgov. Despite that size the Lakers more skilled 7 footers are having their way against them. Mozgov and Koufos are scrubs, McGee gives them a good defensive presence, but lacks offense. 6 foot 10 Jordan Hill is grabbing more rebounds than any of the Nuggets 7 footers.
Good point. Too bad the nuggets dont have a jordan, piippen rodman, type players to go with all that size.

But again, the bulls centers were exactly what i said they were, big guys that didnt get pushed around and excellent jumpshooters. Thats all the bulls needed.

guy
05-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Im not saying longley was held back. If you read, i even said i feel jackson, jordan, pippen, and rodman molded him into what became a serviceable center. Cuz he was well on his way to being a certified bust in minnesota.

Saying that. I dont see how if longley were to play opposite lower quality centers like today, that he wouldnt look like a better center. Again, follow me, due to play lesser caliber/quality centers. Why is this so hard to comprehend? Its no different than the stance by alot of people that dwight howard would be the a top 7-10 center in the 90s, but hes regarded as the best center today. Whats the difference between yao ming and rik smits? Why couldnt smit dominate the 90s like ming did the 00s?

I do feel kukoc was held back though. Similar to james harden and manu ginobli.

You're implying that Longley was on the same level of someone like Marc Gasol, who's easily a top 5 center in today's league and was just an all-star. Sounds like you're saying he could've been Marc if he had the same role. So are you saying Longley is close to an all-star today? Thats insanely stupid. Would he have done better in today's league? Maybe. Either way, he's still a below average center today just like he was back then playing a similar role like he did back then. Would be one thing if you mentioned someone like Rony Seikaly, Rik Smits, Sam Perkins, Vlade Divac, Hot Rod Williams, etc. But Luc Longley?

Dwight Howard being only a top 7-10 center in the 90s is a huge exaggeration. The only centers in the 90s who were ever arguably better then Howard of the last 4 years was Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, and Shaq. So at the very least he's in the top 5. And since we are mostly referring to the 2nd-three peat era, he would've been better then Ewing by at least 96, Robinson by 97 who got injured and was never the same afterwards, and Hakeem by either 97 or at least 98. So he's a top 2-4 center in the league during that time.

Yao when healthy was easily better then Smits. Better scorer, better rebounder, probably a better defender as well. Yao was one of the only players that could go one-on-one with Shaq on both ends and still hold his own.

Seriously, there are differences in the 90s and 00s with the center play being the largest difference. But come on people its really not that big regardless of rule changes, high school players, less big men, better athletes, etc. Dominant players today would dominate 15 years ago and vice-versa.

97 bulls
05-07-2012, 10:59 PM
You're implying that Longley was on the same level of someone like Marc Gasol, who's easily a top 5 center in today's league and was just an all-star. Sounds like you're saying he could've been Marc if he had the same role. So are you saying Longley is close to an all-star today? Thats insanely stupid. Would he have done better in today's league? Maybe. Either way, he's still a below average center today just like he was back then playing a similar role like he did back then. Would be one thing if you mentioned someone like Rony Seikaly, Rik Smits, Sam Perkins, Vlade Divac, Hot Rod Williams, etc. But Luc Longley?

Dwight Howard being only a top 7-10 center in the 90s is a huge exaggeration. The only centers in the 90s who were ever arguably better then Howard of the last 4 years was Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, and Shaq. So at the very least he's in the top 5. And since we are mostly referring to the 2nd-three peat era, he would've been better then Ewing by at least 96, Robinson by 97 who got injured and was never the same afterwards, and Hakeem by either 97 or at least 98. So he's a top 2-4 center in the league during that time.

Yao when healthy was easily better then Smits. Better scorer, better rebounder, probably a better defender as well. Yao was one of the only players that could go one-on-one with Shaq on both ends and still hold his own.

Seriously, there are differences in the 90s and 00s with the center play being the largest difference. But come on people its really not that big regardless of rule changes, high school players, less big men, better athletes, etc. Dominant players today would dominate 15 years ago and vice-versa.
I think you need to go back and look at robinson, olajuwan, and ewing numbers for the years in question. They all were putting up damn good numbers. Robinson did miss the 97 season, and ewing missed a large portion of the 96 i believe, but they were still great centers.

As far as ming and smits? The same logic applies. Trying to say ming is more talented than smits due to their stats is just dumb. When you factor in everything

guy
05-07-2012, 11:07 PM
I think you need to go back and look at robinson, olajuwan, and ewing numbers for the years in question. They all were putting up damn good numbers. Robinson did miss the 97 season, and ewing missed a large portion of the 96 i believe, but they were still great centers.

As far as ming and smits? The same logic applies. Trying to say ming is more talented than smits due to their stats is just dumb. When you factor in everything

So I should look at Robinson, Hakeem, and Ewing's stats (which by the way do not favor those players vs. Howard for the years in question) to better educate myself and then ignore Yao and Smits' stats? By the way, where did I mention stats at all? I don't need stats to tell me anything. I watched all the players mentioned. Luc Longley was nothing more then a role player that a team could afford having start on their team as long as there was 3 HOFers alongside him.

97 bulls
05-07-2012, 11:09 PM

Another thing Guy. Im not comparing longley and gasol as far as rank. Im saying their skillset was very similar. Gasol wouldnt have evn sniffed an allstar birth back in the 90s. And the players you listed, seikley, perkins, etc who were middle of the pack centers back then, would be top 3-4 centers today.

97 bulls
05-07-2012, 11:21 PM
So I should look at Robinson, Hakeem, and Ewing's stats (which by the way do not favor those players vs. Howard for the years in question) to better educate myself and then ignore Yao and Smits' stats? By the way, where did I mention stats at all? I don't need stats to tell me anything. I watched all the players mentioned. Luc Longley was nothing more then a role player that a team could afford having start on their team as long as there was 3 HOFers alongside him.
Again, the same logic applies with howard. I think playing against better quality players on a nightly basis would hurt his production.

And im not saying luc longley is this stud center that was held back due to his role and competiton. But my god how can you overlook the fact that all the centers today are middle of the pack centers compared to the past? Gasol made the all-star game avg 15 ppg. That wouldnt happen back in the 90s.

nbacardDOTnet
05-07-2012, 11:27 PM
LL was a decent NBA Center. He greatly benefited while playing under the Triangle Offense.

1997-1998 was his best statistical season.

This moron doesn't know anything about NBA and B Ball.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/z%20FTR%20FTG%20n%20BTG/3%20BTG/Anfernee%20Hardaway/-.gif

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/Kevin%20Garnett/y%20In%20Your%20Face%20Jam/vs.gif

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/z%20Funny%20NBA%20Photos/0%20Players/Lebron%20James/0%20bandwagoners/scumbag-lebron23-insidehoops.gif

guy
05-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Again, the same logic applies with howard. I think playing against better quality players on a nightly basis would hurt his production.

And im not saying luc longley is this stud center that was held back due to his role and competiton. But my god how can you overlook the fact that all the centers today are middle of the pack centers compared to the past? Gasol made the all-star game avg 15 ppg. That wouldnt happen back in the 90s.

Not really. It might hurt his production a little, but its not like he would go from 20/15 to 17/10. Any difference would be insignificant especially when you take into account that this era is way more perimeter oriented meaning centers don't get as many touches. For the majority of nights, he will still be going up against players that are inferior to him.

You're overexagerating things. Kevin Duckworth and Rik Smits both made all-star games putting up like 16-17 ppg/7 rpg. Thats not much different then 15/9. And Kevin Duckworth and Rik Smits was worlds better then Luc Longley, just like Marc Gasol is.

97 bulls
05-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Not really. It might hurt his production a little, but its not like he would go from 20/15 to 17/10. Any difference would be insignificant especially when you take into account that this era is way more perimeter oriented meaning centers don't get as many touches. For the majority of nights, he will still be going up against players that are inferior to him.

You're overexagerating things. Kevin Duckworth and Rik Smits both made all-star games putting up like 16-17 ppg/7 rpg. Thats not much different then 15/9. And Kevin Duckworth and Rik Smits was worlds better then Luc Longley, just like Marc Gasol is.
Rik Smits made the allstar game in 98 when he avg 17 and 7 in 29 minutes. Gasol avgas 15 in 36 min. Duckworth made 2 allstar games in the early 90s and late 80s. Not in the time were talking about.

Another thing. Im watching the clippers/grizzlies now. One thing i noticed that team do now a days, is put their best big low post defender on the oppositions best low post scoring big. Regardless of whether theyre power forwards or centers. Deandre Jordan the clippers best defender plays center, but is guarding zach randolf the grizzlies PF. Gasol doesnt even draw the best low post defender

1987_Lakers
05-08-2012, 12:03 AM
Another thing. Im watching the clippers/grizzlies now. One thing i noticed that team do now a days, is put their best big low post defender on the oppositions best low post scoring big. Regardless of whether theyre power forwards or centers. Deandre Jordan the clippers best defender plays center, but is guarding zach randolf the grizzlies PF. Gasol doesnt even draw the best low post defender

You do realize Zach Randolph only played 28 games this season and started 8.

97 bulls
05-08-2012, 12:12 AM
You do realize Zach Randolph only played 28 games this season and started 8.
And he shot 48%. With Randolph, he was well in the 50%

1987_Lakers
05-08-2012, 12:23 AM
And he shot 48%. With Randolph, he was well in the 50%

Gasol shot 48% and 49% in Jan and Feb with Randolph out. He shot 47% in the month of April with Randolph back. Not much of a difference.

guy
05-08-2012, 12:30 AM
Rik Smits made the allstar game in 98 when he avg 17 and 7 in 29 minutes. Gasol avgas 15 in 36 min. Duckworth made 2 allstar games in the early 90s and late 80s. Not in the time were talking about.

Not sure what your point is. Randolph is one of the best post players in the league and better then Marc.

97 bulls
05-08-2012, 12:35 AM
Gasol shot 48% and 49% in Jan and Feb with Randolph out. He shot 47% in the month of April with Randolph back. Not much of a difference.
But its no 53, 58, and 52. Thats what he avg over the last few years. Id attribute that to people not knowing him, as well as playing alongside Randolph

97 bulls
05-08-2012, 12:37 AM
Not sure what your point is. Randolph is one of the best post players in the league and better then Marc.
My point is gasol doesnt draw the opposition best low post defender.

1987_Lakers
05-08-2012, 12:46 AM
But its no 53, 58, and 52. Thats what he avg over the last few years. Id attribute that to people not knowing him, as well as playing alongside Randolph

Of course he is going to be more efficient with Randolph on the court, but Gasol isn't really known for his scoring. He is known for his all around play, Gasol can run your offense in the low/high post area, similar to his brother, and his ability to rebound and defend are more noticed than his scoring ability.

Xiao Yao You
05-08-2012, 02:35 AM
Stop lying. His name is Lucien.

Haven't seen his birth certificate. I heard or read his name was Lucy.

guy
05-08-2012, 10:05 AM
My point is gasol doesnt draw the opposition best low post defender.

Because his teammate is one of the best post players in the league. That holds no weight in your argument.

nbacardDOTnet
05-10-2012, 04:46 AM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/z%20Funny%20NBA%20Photos/Funny%20NBA%20Record/Jan1997-98luclongley.jpg

LiLharvard
05-10-2012, 04:49 AM
Luc Longley was sh!t
/thread

KKittles30
05-10-2012, 08:12 AM
Yet another draft gem by the Timberwolves...:facepalm 1991 1st round 7th overall

http://pictures.todocoleccion.net/tc/2010/09/17/21575224.jpg

1989 1 10 Pooh Richardson
1989 2 34 Gary Leonard
1989 2 38 Doug West
1990 1 6 Felton Spencer
1990 1 20 Gerald Glass
1991 1 7 Luc Longley
1991 2 34 Myron Brown
1992 1 3 Christian Laettner
1992 2 28 Marlon Maxey
1992 2 34 Chris Smith
1992 2 51 Tim Burroughs