PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Durant signs 5 year extension

BlackWhiteGreen
07-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Durant is signing 5-year extension: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=6148

According to the man himself on twitter:

Exstension for 5 more years wit the #thunder....God Is Great, me and my family came a long way...I love yall man forreal, this a blessing!
http://twitter.com/KDthunderup

Spears (Yahoo) is reporting it'll be $85m

While salary numbers will be set tomorrow, Durant is expected to get about $85 million over five years in extension.
http://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo

wang4three
07-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Good for him. I'm glad someone gets this stuff away as fast as they can.

I am that I am
07-07-2010, 10:51 AM
good to see some stars arent egotists and have some franchise loyalty

bballer
07-07-2010, 10:51 AM
KD is a freakin stud.

ProfessorMurder
07-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Durant is the man. Get it over with so they can concentrate on getting better. :applause:

ZHAKIDD532
07-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Great move for OKC and Durant.

mamba24
07-07-2010, 10:59 AM
now melo has to sign his...and lebron make up his freakin mind.

Harison
07-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Good for Durant and OKC, team is very young but with a lot of potential, they almost gave heart attack to Lakers in last Playoffs, and most OKC core players are like 5 years from prime! If management wont screw up and health allows, they will be definite powerhouse, and very soon.

niko
07-07-2010, 11:36 AM
It doesn't count unless he has a prime time special. :no:

Note: OKC is a hard team to hate, isn't it? Smart as hell...good players, good gm, makes smart moves, in no hurry...

Apocalyptic0n3
07-07-2010, 11:45 AM
The Thunder have a core of Westbrook-Sefolosha-Harden-Durant-Green-Aldrich. The oldest person in that core? Sefolosha, age 26. That is scary as hell. They have three players who could be perennial all stars (Westbrook, Harden, and Durant), two capable of superstar status (Westbrook, Durant), and two others who could be all star worthy in a few seasons (Green and Aldrich).

Holy hell. And their bench is young too, barring Kevin Ollie, Etan Thomas, and Kristic. Could a small market team possibly get their own dynasty?

alwaysunny
07-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Hurry up and be the best player in the league.

sixerfan82
07-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Nice move, I'm officially a Durant fan. Always thought lebron was overrated.

Thunderstruck
07-07-2010, 12:38 PM
To all the people who said Durant would never sign with OKC, suck...on...it. So glad to have him here long term.

GOBB
07-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Durant never hinted he wouldnt sign an extension. He's said many times he enjoys OKC and it fits his personality. This isnt a surprise at all. :confusedshrug:

Is 5yrs $85mil the most OKC could offer him in an extension? I know there are rules of how much you can make given the years in the NBA. I wonder what the yearly breakdown looks like. Trying to figure out what player in the NBA signed a similar deal to get a sense of how the year to year salaries look.

ronnymac
07-07-2010, 12:47 PM
After LBJ this is the 2nd biggest Signature. This sets up the Thunder to be a contender for years to come. Imagine this kid in his prime?. wow:applause:

spursdynasty420
07-07-2010, 01:18 PM
once thunder get a LEGIT big man they will be a top 4 seed for years

momo
07-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Good.

Mr.Fundamentals
07-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Good for Durant and OKC, team is very young but with a lot of potential, they almost gave heart attack to Lakers in last Playoffs, and most OKC core players are like 5 years from prime! If management wont screw up and health allows, they will be definite powerhouse, and very soon.

no lie there fam im a laker fan i wasnt worried bt i was payin ALOTTTTTT of attention

AznTacoLover
07-07-2010, 01:58 PM
A good move from durant and OKC love seeing him play dudes a stud. :cheers:
crazy how the oldest person on the team is 26 years old..

Bosnian Sajo
07-07-2010, 01:58 PM
It doesn't count unless he has a prime time special. :no:

Note: OKC is a hard team to hate, isn't it? Smart as hell...good players, good gm, makes smart moves, in no hurry...

fun to watch, fans are great, all the players are young, etc.

they will be the new phoenix suns (fun to watch) except these guys will actually be legit title runners haha.

DuMa
07-07-2010, 02:00 PM
seems like a good decison now but could look diff in 2-3 years

GOBB
07-07-2010, 02:10 PM
seems like a good decison now but could look diff in 2-3 years

What do u mean?

highwhey
07-07-2010, 02:32 PM
they need to get a legit big man. that team is already banging as is, the addition of a big would make them more legit. good signing. kd all the way.

DuMa
07-07-2010, 03:18 PM
What do u mean?

ownership looks great now but it isnt proven that they will be spending the money to spend on a FA big (which they need). that is, if they can attract the big name FAs to Oklahoma City in the first place. its the same thing KG went through in Minnesota. it looked good in 2004 when they went to the WCFs but it became a sinking ship thereafter.

InspiredLebowski
07-07-2010, 03:37 PM
I know it's crazy FA circus day on ESPN, but I seriously haven't heard them mention this once.

JMT
07-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Grea move by Durant and OKC.

I hope NBA GM's share the love for Harden I see here. Maybe the Thunder will be able to sell high at some point before the rest of the league figures out he's a journeyman.

Bird
07-07-2010, 04:22 PM
A good move from durant and OKC love seeing him play dudes a stud. :cheers:
crazy how the oldest person on the team is 26 years old..

The oldest person on the team is Kevin Ollie....and he is far from 26 ;)

But, yes, the main core of the team is 26 or younger and probably the most talented 1-6 or 7 in the league. Not the best, but the most talented (I will give Kobe and crew their props as the best 1-7).

Easily one of the three best teams in the West and would probably be a top two team in the East.

This was easily the smartest move of the off season.

gyu
07-07-2010, 04:25 PM
The Thunder have a core of Westbrook-Sefolosha-Harden-Durant-Green-Aldrich. The oldest person in that core? Sefolosha, age 26. That is scary as hell. They have three players who could be perennial all stars (Westbrook, Harden, and Durant), two capable of superstar status (Westbrook, Durant), and two others who could be all star worthy in a few seasons (Green and Aldrich).

Holy hell. And their bench is young too, barring Kevin Ollie, Etan Thomas, and Kristic. Could a small market team possibly get their own dynasty?
You forgot Ibaka :rockon:

GOBB
07-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Harden All Star? He has to show us he is even a productive starter first. He belongs in the "could be AS worthy" at best for now.

ownership looks great now but it isnt proven that they will be spending the money to spend on a FA big (which they need). that is, if they can attract the big name FAs to Oklahoma City in the first place. its the same thing KG went through in Minnesota. it looked good in 2004 when they went to the WCFs but it became a sinking ship thereafter.

You cant compare OKC to Minny. Different circumstances hindered Minny. One was KG contract, another was loss of first rd picks. We dont know if FA would be attracted to go to OKC. But a young, rising team is attractice to FAs. See Elton Brand and Sixers.

brooks_thompson
07-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Durant never hinted he wouldnt sign an extension. He's said many times he enjoys OKC and it fits his personality. This isnt a surprise at all. :confusedshrug:

Is 5yrs $85mil the most OKC could offer him in an extension? I know there are rules of how much you can make given the years in the NBA. I wonder what the yearly breakdown looks like. Trying to figure out what player in the NBA signed a similar deal to get a sense of how the year to year salaries look.

with less than 7 years of experience, the max for a player is 25% of the cap. rudy gay just finished his 4th season and got 5 years $80 million, slightly less than his max of $85 million. durant's max was $85 million as well, and he got the max.

7-9 years experience max contracts are 30% of the cap. so bosh, wade, james are eligible for more money.

Jailblazers7
07-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Also, the OKC organization has been building through the draft not going after FA's. I don't think they are even interested in going head hunting for big name FA's. Also what FA wouldn't want to play with a young cast like that.

BlueandGold
07-07-2010, 04:58 PM
It's a sad day in the NBA when Joe Johnson is making more than Kevin Durant.

GOBB
07-07-2010, 06:12 PM
with less than 7 years of experience, the max for a player is 25% of the cap. rudy gay just finished his 4th season and got 5 years $80 million, slightly less than his max of $85 million. durant's max was $85 million as well, and he got the max.

7-9 years experience max contracts are 30% of the cap. so bosh, wade, james are eligible for more money.

Figured that.

LA KB24
07-07-2010, 06:47 PM
How can anyone hate on this kid...

(e)
07-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Love how business like Kevin Durant is. Seriously, no circus or anything. He gets offered an extension and responds quickly with praise to the Thunder.

Quickly becoming a huge favorite for me. Good job by the Thunder to lock him up for 5 more years.

brooks_thompson
07-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Also, the OKC organization has been building through the draft not going after FA's. I don't think they are even interested in going head hunting for big name FA's. Also what FA wouldn't want to play with a young cast like that.

that's the impressive thing. this is the fastest-built playoff team/would-be contender that i've ever seen. other teams may land a star player and be in contention immediately (heat with shaq, lakers with gasol), but as far as building internally, it's just been phenomenal.

and while the front office deserves credit for putting the right mix of players together, you gotta hand it to those players for keeping a level head and developing a veteran mindset while they still have plenty of youth and energy left.

Jailblazers7
07-07-2010, 07:55 PM
that's the impressive thing. this is the fastest-built playoff team/would-be contender that i've ever seen. other teams may land a star player and be in contention immediately (heat with shaq, lakers with gasol), but as far as building internally, it's just been phenomenal.

and while the front office deserves credit for putting the right mix of players together, you gotta hand it to those players for keeping a level head and developing a veteran mindset while they still have plenty of youth and energy left.

Yeah they have done fantastic in the draft. I remember people thought Westbrook was a horrible pick and a lot of people had doubts about Jeff Green and we all know how that turned out. The front office deserves a ton of credit and praise.

jaggedmole
07-07-2010, 07:56 PM
I love KD. He'll be 26 when this extension is up. Think about that. We have yet to see the best this kid will be. The NBA is in good hands for the next 10years. Lots of great young players to take the reins when Kobe hangs up the Adidas.

ashbelly
07-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Nice move, I'm officially a Durant fan. Always thought lebron was overrated.

This clown :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

T-bomb 25
07-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Here they come! KD and OKC is coming to take over this league soon,and after the deal was done Durant was at the summer league,supporting Harden,Maynor and the rest of his young troops,what more could you want out of your superstar?:bowdown: :applause:

DStebb716
07-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Durant will be in the NBA Finals within 3 years, I'll bet big bucks on that.

T-bomb 25
07-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Durant will be in the NBA Finals within 3 years, I'll bet big bucks on that.I'll say 2,and i think they will be in the western conference finals this year with the Lakers.

shizzouts
07-07-2010, 10:41 PM
The Durantula is a true professional.

gts
07-08-2010, 12:03 AM
The Durantula is a true professional.yep class act all the way...

omarnyc
07-08-2010, 12:10 AM
Love how business like Kevin Durant is. Seriously, no circus or anything. He gets offered an extension and responds quickly with praise to the Thunder.

Quickly becoming a huge favorite for me. Good job by the Thunder to lock him up for 5 more years.

kd is a cool kid, i follow him on twitter and i like his style. he loves it in okc, he just built a house out there.

O.J A 6'4Mamba
07-08-2010, 12:57 AM

I believe that is the most they could extend him. I know Brandon Roy signed a max extension after his rookie year worh 82 million.

LA KB24
07-08-2010, 03:17 AM
I'll say 2,and i think they will be in the western conference finals this year with the Lakers.
Idk depends on a lot of things.

Healthy Portland is still a better team. The Nuggets with Karl are a better team as well.

Rocker09
07-08-2010, 04:04 AM
Good for him....good decision by both OKC and durant!

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Is it really that impressive? I just don't see it.

Even Dirk just the other day re-signed with the Mavs and didn't even look at other teams.

I guess it is just the age.

J_Rock3ts
07-08-2010, 11:44 AM
I've got nothing but good things to say about Durant. Dude's a class act...Congrats to both Durant and OKC.

The GM
07-08-2010, 01:38 PM
good point made on 1st and 10 comparing KD to Tim Duncan saying that they both have done things quietly and professionally not looking for attention like some other players (Lebron James) and also not having a problem doing things for a small market team, which is very true. BTW KD was at OKC's summer league game rooting for his teammates and being another coach, that's something you barely if ever see these days in the NBA.

tones236
07-08-2010, 04:14 PM
love this guy.

KD Proves doubters wrong..
http://stacktv.stack.com/video.aspx?videoID=6541519001_374

GOBB
07-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Via Kevin Durants facebook tag

I really don't deserve this praise for handling my deal the way I did...plenty of guys did it the way I did...

Draz
07-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Kevins a great player. I love his team & himself. I would love to see this kid take over the NBA shortly after Kobe retires.

RondoClipsFan
07-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Durant is the man. He is definitely one of my favs.

Lakers Legend#32
07-09-2010, 12:49 AM
Durant continues to play in obscurity in pro sports smallest market for the next five years. What was he thinking?

Prodigy
07-09-2010, 03:01 AM
Maybe now he can afford to pay for his own magazine subscriptions. Then again, he may have to feed his family...

insidehoops
07-09-2010, 06:12 PM

mgeise
07-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Durant continues to play in obscurity in pro sports smallest market for the next five years. What was he thinking?

Because this young core can do huge things:
Durant
Westbrook
Green
Sefolosha
Harden
Ibaka
Aldrich
Maynor

jbot
07-10-2010, 04:01 PM
best thing that he could have done.

Maga_1
07-10-2010, 06:15 PM
best thing that he could have done.

Indeed.

westside_baller
07-10-2010, 08:46 PM
I can't wait for Durant to put the beatdown on LA AND Miami.

Done_And_Done
07-10-2010, 09:16 PM
This kid's a straight up stud & a professional in every sense of the word.

If im a Thunder fan, im flossing a perm-smile right now...

Congrats

bdreason
07-11-2010, 01:05 AM
Possibly my fav player in the league. You don't see a lot of NBA superstars who are down to earth.

brooks_thompson
07-11-2010, 01:18 AM
i think the guy is stupid for the most part, but durant is one thing bill simmons nailed back in the day.

i thought he would be a great player and that he should've been the number 1 pick, but i figured he would just be a great scorer. and maybe he still kinda is to this point. but his attitude is contagious on the team, and his work ethic suggests he will improve for years to come.

he's a slightly more vocal tim duncan-esque leader. thankfully his game is so smooth he won't ever get the "boring" brand that duncan got.

JSmoove5
07-21-2010, 07:06 AM
hmm, i know this is a scary thought lol. But i think the thunder could and might knock off the lakers off their throne in the couple of years. The thunder are scary good and they have now filled there only real weakness at the 5 with the draft day trade for Cole Aldrich :D.

The Thunder will probs win a championship beforee the miami heat lol

Possible Rotation :)
PG- Westbrook, Maynor
SG- Sefalosha, Harden, Cook
SF- Durant, Peterson, Weaver
PF- Green, Ibaka, Collinson
C- Aldrich, Kristic

UtahJazzFan88
07-22-2010, 02:06 AM
Is it sad for to be a Utah Jazz follower/fan for his whole, but is a huge Kevin Durant fan? Maybe it's because he isn't all about the celebrity life, and is all about playing basketball, and is a damn good one at that. Hopefully KD brings home the MVP this year.

Jedoliath
08-03-2010, 07:09 AM
Durant is going to carry his team places next season along with Serge Ibaka and Russell Westbrook he should get MVP this year with 33-35PPG for sure.

one2
01-26-2011, 08:54 PM
The Thunder had one of worst records in the league a couple of years ago...had it been the case in the 2009/10 season...I think he would've bolted...