PDA

View Full Version : Jay Mariotti: Basketball is the second biggest sport In America now

Lebron Bryant
07-08-2010, 06:44 PM
After watching the end of Around The Horn, Jay Mariotti said this. Do you agree with him or not?

bdreason
07-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Baseball is #2. Sad, but true.

OnceInADECADE
07-08-2010, 06:46 PM
no its not.

1. Football
2. Baseball
3. Basketball
4. Hockey

boozehound
07-08-2010, 06:46 PM
depends what he means by that. IMO there are more diehard basketball fans than baseball fans and many people who like bball over football even. But in terms of attendance and tv markets (basically casual fans) its not close. but there is no way the mlb offseason could have this kind of non-stop media hype. Thats only in the NFL and NBA

Kensta
07-08-2010, 06:47 PM
NFL
NCAA FB
MLB
NBA

NBA is 4th imo.

kentatm
ehh... no.

sorry Jay.

Lakers13
NFL is obviously #1

MLB is still above the NBA for now

kentatm
07-08-2010, 06:49 PM
when the combined NBA Canada/USA ratings can top the combined NHL Canada/USA ratings you can call me.

if a sport that is primarily viewed in a country with 300 million people can't top the ratings of a sport in a country of 30 million, its not the second largest sport in the country of 300 million.

Lebron Bryant
07-08-2010, 06:50 PM
1 NFL

2 NCAA football

3 NBA

4 MLB

Rekindled
07-08-2010, 06:51 PM
when the combined NBA Canada/USA ratings can top the combined NHL Canada/USA ratings you can call me.

if a sport that is played in a country with 300 million people can't top the ratings of a sport in a country of 30 million, its not the second largest sport in the country of 300 million.

lol mlb 8.0 rating, lol nba 12.0 rating.

Lebron Bryant

if a sport that is primarily viewed in a country with 300 million people can't top the ratings of a sport in a country of 30 million, its not the second largest sport in the country of 300 million.

Most of the time NHL has bad ratings in the USA. It does great in Canada but not in USA unless it's something like Chicago/Philly.

hawkfan
LeBron James is the biggest sports story this entire summer, more than even the World Cup.

Lebron Bryant
07-08-2010, 06:52 PM
LeBron James is the biggest sports story this entire summer, more than even the World Cup.

In America yes. The world no.

leopoldstotch
07-08-2010, 06:53 PM
NBA is above the MLB imo. baseball has considerably lost fans ever since the juice era was revealed, and people started jumping on the nba bandwagon.

Quata
07-08-2010, 06:55 PM

*for a select group of people, the other 5.7+ billion people in the world may say otherwise.

Lebron Bryant
07-08-2010, 06:56 PM
NBA is above the MLB imo. baseball has considerably lost fans ever since the juice era was revealed, and people started jumping on the nba bandwagon.

So has the NBA. Most people think it's garbage and full of thugs and bad refs. Most sports have actually.

boozehound
07-08-2010, 06:57 PM
*for a select group of people, the other 5.7+ billion people in the world may say otherwise.
but we are talking about that "select" group of people. Mariotti wasnt talking about the nba's popularity in slovenia for X sake! Hes talking about within the US.

besides, the nba is infinitely more popular overseas than baseball.

bleedinpurpleTwo
07-08-2010, 06:59 PM
In an ESPN poll a few years ago... your fav spectator sport....
the results were:
NFL by a wide margin
MLB & NBA tied for distant 2nd/3rd
College football
College bball
Hockey
then a bunch of other stuff like golf, tennis, college baseball, soccer...

tpols
07-08-2010, 07:12 PM

your logic is retarded...

Ratings are based off of a percentage of households viewing the program so everything has to judged relatively. And Canada is the hockey capital of the world. It's like the NFL to the U.S. but even more popular...Your analogy makes even less sense when you consider that the position that the nba is competing with is the MLB.

wang4three
07-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Football
Football
Football
Football

Then everything else. The NFL money is sick..nothing compares.

Soundwave
07-08-2010, 07:14 PM
In the US I dunno.

Too many empty seats in a lot of arenas these days, don't remember seeing that so much in the 90s.

I'd say it's 1. NFL 2. MLB 3. NBA 4. NHL

Globally though I'd say basketball is no.2 now after football/soccer for sure.

CLTHornets4eva
07-08-2010, 07:19 PM

Canada also is not the United States. Canada is irrelevant in determining the top US sports. We all know that Hockey is number 1 in Canadia, who cares about Canadia. :hammerhead:

Awkrewen
I would put Basketball at most as 4th worldwide

Soccer/Football
Cricket
Field Hockey

Easily top 3, Baseketball might be 4th, but it isnt 2nd.

icewill36
no because there arent enough white stars... thats the main reason bball doesnt blow the mlb away IMO.

Soundwave
07-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Canada also is not the United States. Canada is irrelevant in determining the top US sports. We all know that Hockey is number 1 in Canadia, who cares about Canadia. :hammerhead:

That may be so, but I think NHL hockey is gaining big time in the US, whereas the NBA is losing fans.

I hate to say it, but I think there is a growing disconnect between white/suburban families and the NBA, and the NHL is starting to fill some of that gap.

Quata
07-08-2010, 07:22 PM

Soccer/Football
Cricket
Field Hockey

The Rugby world cup is the 3rd most globally watched event behind the soccer world cup and the olympics.

Apocalyptic0n3
07-08-2010, 07:57 PM

The World Cup is the biggest sporting event in the world. The Olympics don't even compare. Lebron James is nothing.

Swaggin916
07-08-2010, 08:06 PM
I'd say NBA is the second biggest. Maybe it's cus I am of the young generation, but only a few people I know care about baseball... the rest don't really care at all. Almost everyone I know is into basketball to at least a degree, and everyone is into football.

NBA will overtake baseball pretty quickly here if it hasn't already. I think the finals ratings were better than the last WS.

Apocalyptic0n3
07-08-2010, 08:09 PM
I'd say NBA is the second biggest. Maybe it's cus I am of the young generation, but only a few people I know care about baseball... the rest don't really care at all. Almost everyone I know is into basketball to at least a degree, and everyone is into football.

NBA will overtake baseball pretty quickly here if it hasn't already. I think the finals ratings were better than the last WS.

Baseball is far and away still number 2. The NBA is a pretty distant third and the NHL not far behind it (as far as pro sports go. Not including college here). The NBA is actually declining for everything except its most marquee games, though. They aren't growing. The NHL, though, is growing pretty well at the moment and I wouldn't be surprised if it overtook the NBA if and when there is a lockout, and the NBA will have a tough time catching back up unless there are drastic changes like the NHL did in their lockout.

Lebron Bryant
07-08-2010, 08:17 PM
[QUOTE=Apocalyptic0n3]Baseball is far and away still number 2. The NBA is a pretty distant third and the NHL not far behind it (as far as pro sports go. Not including college here). The NBA is actually declining for everything except its most marquee games, though. They aren't growing. The NHL, though, is growing pretty well at the moment and I wouldn't be surprised if it overtook the NBA if and when there is a lockout, and the NBA will have a tough time catching back up unless there are drastic changes like the NHL did in their lockout.

Unless the entire NBA season gets lockout, then I will agree that NHL will take it.

miles berg
07-08-2010, 08:17 PM
NBA or UFC or MLB

those are the #2 through #4 sports right now.

Lebron Bryant
07-08-2010, 08:19 PM

Soccer/Football
Cricket
Rugby

Fixed.

Lebron Bryant
07-08-2010, 08:19 PM
NBA or UFC or MLB

MMA is getting big but still isn't that big like the other leagues.

sunsfan1357
07-08-2010, 08:20 PM
NBA or UFC or MLB

Kinda hard to guage sports like the UFC or boxing because there isn't a regular season to consistently see how interested fans stay. They do constantly win over the key male demographics though when they put events and shows on SpikeTV though.

rs98762001
07-08-2010, 08:23 PM
In the young demographic, NBA is easily number 2. In the older 50+ crowd, baseball is easily number 2. It just depends on who's watching and who's spending money.

Baseball's TV ratings have dropped precipitously overall. However, the World Series this year still (barely) outdrew the NBA Finals. In the 49 and under demo, though, the NBA beat MLB.

So right now I'd say they're probably tied in terms of overall popularity. Kobe and LeBron may actually be the two of the three biggest sports figures in the US now, along with Peyton.

Lebron Bryant
07-08-2010, 08:26 PM
In the young demographic, NBA is easily number 2. In the older 50+ crowd, baseball is easily number 2. It just depends on who's watching and who's spending money.

Baseball's TV ratings have dropped precipitously overall. However, the World Series this year still (barely) outdrew the NBA Finals. In the 49 and under demo, though, the NBA beat MLB.

So right now I'd say they're probably tied in terms of overall popularity. Kobe and LeBron may actually be the two of the three biggest sports figures in the US now, along with Peyton.

That sounds about right. I think I said this in another thread.

SinJackal
07-08-2010, 08:33 PM
You realize Spring Training gets more coverage than the NBA when it kicks in right? More people cover baseball, baseball gets more time allotted to it than basketball. . .and as other have said, many people are turned off by the baby attitudes of a lot of NBA players, as well as all the drug charges and arrests that happen.

A lot fewer people stopped watching baseball due to roids than people think. Nobody I know is less interested in baseball after it. Only people who barely watch baseball say crap like "I'm not watching anymore!". They barely watched anyway.

Also, baseball fans are more loyal than basketball ones. I dunno who even said that. People here cheer for the Lakers and Magic and shit. . .and not too long ago MJ was winning titles here! Meanwhile, Sox and Cubs fans here are very loyal, not to mention teams who suck year after year (Pirates), have plenty of people going to every game regardless of their future and present looking bleak.

Lebron Bryant
07-08-2010, 08:39 PM
You realize Spring Training gets more coverage than the NBA when it kicks in right? More people cover baseball, baseball gets more time allotted to it than basketball. . .and as other have said, many people are turned off by the baby attitudes of a lot of NBA players, as well as all the drug charges and arrests that happen.

A lot fewer people stopped watching baseball due to roids than people think. Nobody I know is less interested in baseball after it. Only people who barely watch baseball say crap like "I'm not watching anymore!". They barely watched anyway.

Also, baseball fans are more loyal than basketball ones. I dunno who even said that. People here cheer for the Lakers and Magic and shit. . .and not too long ago MJ was winning titles here! Meanwhile, Sox and Cubs fans here are very loyal, not to mention teams who suck year after year (Pirates), have plenty of people going to every game regardless of their future and present looking bleak.

I'm sure long times fans of baseball have stop watching it, because of not just roids but no salary cap as well. NCAA basketball fans are more loyal than NBA fans are. Also why haven't NFL fans stop watching the NFL? There more arrests than any sport league.

flipogb
07-08-2010, 08:41 PM
all I know is that it SHOULD be

SinJackal
07-08-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm sure long times fans of baseball have stop watching it, because of not just roids but no salary cap as well. NCAA basketball fans are more loyal than NBA fans are.

I'm more of a baseball fan than a basketball one. I didn't even bat an eye at the roids thing. Didn't care at all.

Steroids are, and have been a part of sports for a long time. To think otherwise is just naive. Sure it sucks that people use them, but that's no reason to be a baby about it.

There is a salary cap in baseball. It's just not a "hard cap". It's a soft cap, which means you can go over it with no penalty besides having to pay a luxury tax.

The soft salary cap thing is annoying for small market team fans, but for fans of big market teams they like it. Not to mention. . .even with the soft cap, small market teams tend to do well more often than they do in salary cap leagues like the NBA! Look at the D Rays. . .or loook at the Twins. . .the Marlins. . . Both the Twins and Marlins have won multiple titles in the last dozen years or so, and have had salaries nearly half what the cap is!

So. . .considering that MLB is more balanced than the NBA by FAR. . .and that a team can have a chance regardless of salary, unlike the NBA, it's a lot easier to stay interested for smaller market teams.

Lebron Bryant
07-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Small market teams do better in the MLB than the NBA. I agree with you right there.

usdmef9
07-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Most of the time NHL has bad ratings in the USA. It does great in Canada but not in USA unless it's something like Chicago/Philly.

what factual information do you have to show or are you just basing that on the fact that they were both in the stanley cup finals this year?

SinJackal
07-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Small market teams do better in the MLB than the NBA. I agree with you right there.

Yep. . . imo that's the main reason the NBA isn't as popular as those other two sports. The same teams keep winning in the NBA. It gets very boring. Think of the teams that have won the last 30-40 titles. like 60% of them have been Lakers or Celtics. . .and another 10 of those titles were Bulls or Spurs (though those are my teams, so I'm not complaining~). Aside from those guys, only 4-5 teams ever won in the last 30-40 years. Very depressing.

Lebron Bryant
07-08-2010, 09:02 PM
what factual information do you have to show or are you just basing that on the fact that they were both in the stanley cup finals this year?

I should say the bigger teams instad of a Canada team or a team like the Panthers.

ReturnofJPR
07-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Right now it's #1 but after this show it will be back down to #3

PowerGlove
07-08-2010, 09:04 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Baseball cant talk about drugs.:lol

Hawker
07-08-2010, 09:05 PM
:oldlol:

And I don't understand how baseball is even popular anymore.

Lebron Bryant
07-08-2010, 09:10 PM

It still has it's storys like no hitters and great pitchers this year.

SinJackal
07-08-2010, 09:22 PM

Don't hate just because you don't like it.

chips93
07-08-2010, 09:26 PM
so . . . anybody watching da summer league? i dont think lance can do it in the league

Lebron Bryant
07-08-2010, 09:41 PM
This story even topped NPR. Yes NPR the only great radio station out there cover this story as well.

Lebron Bryant
07-08-2010, 10:59 PM
With Lebron going to Miami, will this make the NBA bigger?

Lebron Bryant
07-09-2010, 09:43 AM
That may be so, but I think NHL hockey is gaining big time in the US, whereas the NBA is losing fans.

I hate to say it, but I think there is a growing disconnect between white/suburban families and the NBA, and the NHL is starting to fill some of that gap.

NCAA basketball is great, so families should go to that. And the NFL as well.

the_chosen_1
07-09-2010, 10:08 AM
It is to me. Baseball will continue to decline with the under 50 as the old folks die off baseball will too. don't consider NCAAF a different sport than NFL, just comes on Sat instead of Sun.

Lebron Bryant
07-09-2010, 10:11 AM
It is to me. Baseball will continue to decline with the under 50 as the old folks die off baseball will too. don't consider NCAAF a different sport than NFL, just comes on Sat instead of Sun.

NCAAF is the second biggest next to NFL football.

Lebron Bryant
07-10-2010, 12:26 PM
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20080205005041/en/Professional-Football-Americas-Favorite-Sport

rs98762001
07-10-2010, 12:33 PM
An "interactive poll" means absolutely nothing. What matters are attendance, merchandise sales, ad revenue, and television contracts and ratings. In most of the these categories, the NBA is either on equal footing or slightly behind MLB.

The split is clear: MLB has an older, whiter fanbase that is going to decline over the next decades. NBA has a younger, multicultural fanbase that should continue to grow.

You can see this in the tv ratings for the World Series vs NBA Finals this year. Both leagues had big market teams playing each other. The WS had slightly higher overall ratings, but the NBA Finals had higher ratings in the 18-49 demo, which is far more lucrative when it comes to ad revenue and merch sales.

Furthermore, no baseball player on a national level, not even A-Rod or Jeter, come close to the popularity and fame of Kobe and LeBron.

Lebron Bryant
07-10-2010, 12:43 PM
NHL is more popular since it has more fans say it's favorite sport. For all USA people, in your city what more talk about NHL or NBA?

DeuceWallaces
07-10-2010, 12:49 PM
It's baseball and it's not even close.

Lebron Bryant
07-10-2010, 01:04 PM
It's baseball and it's not even close.

In the older demographic yes. Younger demographic no.

Lebron Bryant
07-10-2010, 10:11 PM
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100708185658AALXKMm

I think hockey is more popular than basketball. Look at the fans on forums and stuff. At least they are team fans instad of player fans like most NBA fans are. Also NBA fans give NHL little credit. It tougher to win the Stanley Cup than the NBA championship.

paintingshade
07-10-2010, 10:21 PM
in baseball, the ball is in play for a total of 12 minutes. lol.

but i don't really care what america thinks of sports anyway, these are people that rate football above the world best sport, soccer. they even hate on it. pathetic.

chopchop20
07-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Baseball is essentially a 1-on1 sport. It's the hitter vs. pitcher primarily

Lebron Bryant
07-10-2010, 10:31 PM
in baseball, the ball is in play for a total of 12 minutes. lol.

but i don't really care what america thinks of sports anyway, these are people that rate football above the world best sport, soccer. they even hate on it. pathetic.

Austraila rates football/rugby above soccer.

darius15
07-10-2010, 10:42 PM
http://media.economist.com/images/pdf/TabReport20100624.pdf

This tells you everything you need to know. go to page 3 and 4. It is correct that NBA basketball is more popular among younger people, while baseball is very popular among elderly people.

Lebron Bryant
07-10-2010, 10:46 PM
http://media.economist.com/images/pdf/TabReport20100624.pdf

This tells you everything you need to know. go to page 3 and 4. It is correct that NBA basketball is more popular among younger people, while baseball is very popular among elderly people.

Also Democrats watch it more than Republicans. Dems watch more NFL than Rep watch NBA as well.

Hotlantadude81
07-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Not even close.

Lebron Bryant
07-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Not even close.

Explan your opinion. I think the NHL might surpass the NBA as the third pro sport in America.

darius15
07-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Also, the NBA produced the most recognizable athlete in the US.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/65957

Lebron Bryant
07-10-2010, 11:01 PM
Also, the NBA produced the most recognizable athlete in the US.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/65957

Well there a few that could give a run from him.

Hotlantadude81
07-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Explan your opinion. I think the NHL might surpass the NBA as the third pro sport in America.

The NBA had a really bad image problem and most people ask you about the NBA and they will say their not fans. No matter if it's on the net or in person, most people seem like NBA haters to me. During the average season I don't even see it discussed anywhere near as much as football or baseball.

Lebron Bryant
07-10-2010, 11:28 PM
The NBA had a really bad image problem and most people ask you about the NBA and they will say their not fans. No matter if it's on the net or in person, most people seem like NBA haters to me. During the average season I don't even see it discussed anywhere near as much as football or baseball.

It's problems are bad for the NBA but it can do no wrong for the NFL and MLB.

zac
07-10-2010, 11:44 PM
I had a class just dealing with random mass communication things like this and the NBA was 5th overall in America as of 2009, which surprised me. We had these Chinese exchange students and they didn't believe it at all because NBA is so huge over there. I can see it being top 3 now though.

Lebron Bryant
07-10-2010, 11:46 PM
I had a class just dealing with random mass communication things like this and the NBA was 5th overall in America as of 2009, which surprised me. We had these Chinese exchange students and they didn't believe it at all because NBA is so huge over there. I can see it being top 3 now though.

What were the four? NASCAR, MLB, NFL, and NCAAF?

SinJackal
07-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Everyone knows Mariotti is always making up stats.

He has no proof to back it up. Baseball teams are worth more, baseball players get paid more, baseball team owners make more money, more people watch baseball games overall than basketball games. . .in no way is NBA trumping MLB except every so often the NBA Finals rates higher than the World Series does.

If basketball was doing better than baseball, explain why there are only three teams in MLB who even have a salary lower than the salary cap in the NBA? THREE. . .the cheapest three.

9 MLB teams have payrolls nearly double the NBA salary cap. The Yankees nearly have quadruple it.

MLB is killing the NBA in money generated, at least. MLB team are worth far more as well. the Cubs just sold for nearly a billion dollars.

thesighter
07-10-2010, 11:59 PM
Race/ethnicity has a lot to do with it. There are fewer white athletes to identify with in the NBA. In general, white Americans don't like the NBA. Common criticism is that the NBA is thuggish. The NBA is most popular among the young, urban, and minorities.

zac
07-11-2010, 01:10 AM
What were the four? NASCAR, MLB, NFL, and NCAAF?
I don't remember exactly. I think it was:

NFL
MLB
NCAA Football
NASCAR
NBA
then hockey, NCAA Basketball, tennis, soccer, swimming all that fell in place. Nascar was the one that surprised me the most that it was above the NBA.

OKC Adonis
07-11-2010, 01:25 AM
I don't remember exactly. I think it was:

NFL
MLB
NCAA Football
NASCAR
NBA
then hockey, NCAA Basketball, tennis, soccer, swimming all that fell in place. Nascar was the one that surprised me the most that it was above the NBA.

As of 2008 it goes like this (Based on Harris poll)

Most popular US American Sport (You can only choose one)

1 ) Pro Football 30%

2 ) MLB 15%

3 ) Auto Racing 10%

4 ) Hockey 5%

5 ) NBA 4%

6 ) NCAA Basketball 4%

7 ) Golf 4 %

Check this out

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/vault/Harris-Interactive-Poll-Research-Professional-Football-Still-Americas-Favorite-Sport-2008-02.pdf

Page 3 is where I got the info off of. It also breaks it down by demographics.

nba_55
07-11-2010, 02:01 AM
Lol at people saying NHl is more popular than Basketball in America. It might be in Canada but certainly not in USA.
NHL Finals got like ratings around 4-5.
NBA finals game 7 got like a rating of 18.3.

Lebron Bryant
07-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Lol at people saying NHl is more popular than Basketball in America. It might be in Canada but certainly not in USA.
NHL Finals got like ratings around 4-5.
NBA finals game 7 got like a rating of 18.3.

The attendance for NHL games are better than NBA. Look it up. You will see for yourself why I think NHL is more popular than NBA.

DaniloGallinari
07-11-2010, 08:55 AM
The attendance for NHL games are better than NBA. Look it up. You will see for yourself why I think NHL is more popular than NBA.

NBA arenas usually only hold up to like 17k-20k.

Lebron Bryant
07-11-2010, 10:55 AM
NBA arenas usually only hold up to like 17k-20k.

But lot of them are having trouble selling. The NHL does not.

endandout
07-11-2010, 12:36 PM

AMMMMEEERRRICAAAAA. Not fukin canada. **** CANADA!

paintingshade
07-11-2010, 12:46 PM

nba has tv contracts...

AK47DR91
07-11-2010, 01:01 PM

That's definitely true but you should also figure that NHL have 5 or 6 teams in Canada(home of hockey). But when you think about teams in the southern USA like Phoenix, ATL, Florida or Tampa....these teams have trouble selling tickets too.

Remember that most of the fans at attendance are usually rich white men, especially the luxury boxes and higher priced seats. Unfortunately, the NBA is not that appealing to that demographic.

As long as NBA has the Chinese and Asia market, it'll be fine. NBA makes a lot from TV ads and marketing.

twolvesfan
07-11-2010, 01:03 PM
The NHL is kind of weird, Minneapolis is considered a top hockey market:eek: :lol :confusedshrug:

Swaggin916
07-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Race/ethnicity has a lot to do with it. There are fewer white athletes to identify with in the NBA. In general, white Americans don't like the NBA. Common criticism is that the NBA is thuggish. The NBA is most popular among the young, urban, and minorities.

That is not true. You can't just mush every white American into 1 category... Maybe for some reason that turns off the older folks but the younger generation doesn't care what color you are... in fact if you are black theat might make you like them more (black people = swagger to a lot of white kids :lol )

Look, the NHL is never going to supplant NBA. That is a joke, The NHL appeals to 1 demographic, white people. The NBA appeals to every demographic and quite frankly, white people aren't having babies like Mexicans, Black people, or any other group of people really. It's only a matter of time before NBA is #2.

That Harris poll is stupid too. The NFL is going to take away the bulk of the the NBA demographic because it's the same people who watch both.... so yea if you can only choose 1 then you are going to choose football first, and then basketball will be second.

Lebron Bryant
07-11-2010, 01:16 PM
That's definitely true but you should also figure that NHL have 5 or 6 teams in Canada(home of hockey). But when you think about teams in the southern USA like Phoenix, ATL, Florida or Tampa....these teams have trouble selling tickets too.

Remember that most of the fans at attendance are usually rich white men, especially the luxury boxes and higher priced seats. Unfortunately, the NBA is not that appealing to that demographic.

As long as NBA has the Chinese and Asia market, it'll be fine. NBA makes a lot from TV ads and marketing.

I think the NBA has more rich people at their games than NHL does. More middle class fans at NHL games than NBA does.

Lebron Bryant
07-11-2010, 03:31 PM
http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

Lebron Bryant
07-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Now here the NBA attendance. http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

HighFlyer23
07-11-2010, 05:29 PM
depends on what white people like most :lol

eric89
07-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Basketball may not be the second biggest sport in US, but it is far popular than NFL and baseball around the world.

DaniloGallinari
07-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Basketball may not be the second biggest sport in US, but it is far popular than NFL and baseball around the world.

Exactly. It is a world game, compared to baseball and A. football.

Sooner or later, the popularity of basketball will skyrocket even more.

Lebron Bryant
07-11-2010, 07:20 PM

Besides a few countries, yeah I would agree with baseball. USA football is only big in my homeland.

chopchop20
07-11-2010, 07:40 PM

Get outta here with that NHL crap. They don't even have a major cable contract.

And you're missing the point when you just look at raw numbers. From a marketing perspective, the NBA captures a more coveted demographic than probably every sport than football (because it's appeal is so broad).

There are no major MLB or NHL or Nascar stars with the marketing appeal or selling ability of LeBron, Wade, Kobe, etc... Michael Jordan is still the most recognized athlete in the world today

Lebron Bryant
07-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Get outta here with that NHL crap. They don't even have a major cable contract.

They have a contract with NBC fyi.

And you're missing the point when you just look at raw numbers. From a marketing perspective, the NBA captures a more coveted demographic than probably every sport than football (because it's appeal is so broad).

I agree with that.

There are no major MLB or NHL or Nascar stars with the marketing appeal or selling ability of LeBron, Wade, Kobe, etc... Michael Jordan is still the most recognized athlete in the world today

I agree with that

chopchop20
07-11-2010, 08:03 PM

I agree with that

Dude, seriously I had to search online to find out when the NHL games were on during the playoffs. ESPN certainly did not go outta their way to give you the NHL post season schedule like they do for the NBA. NBC certainly didn't commit a lot of resources to marketing the NHL.

Former NHL'ers were talking about how hockey desperately needs a solid a cable deal to stay visible and viable to other sports with higher profile athletes.
Sid the Kid and AO are great but nobody outside of hockey really knows them

Lebron Bryant
07-11-2010, 08:17 PM
I just made a thread about this great article about Boston sports fans but I will post it again. http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/1990/04/15/who_are_the_boston_fans So most Celtics fans are Red Sox fans and Bruins fans are Patriots fans? I don't see it...

chopchop20
07-11-2010, 08:26 PM
I just made a thread about this great article about Boston sports fans but I will post it again. http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/1990/04/15/who_are_the_boston_fans So most Celtics fans are Red Sox fans and Bruins fans are Patriots fans? I don't see it...

It does sound pretty crazy. Interesting article though :cheers:

Lebron Bryant
07-11-2010, 08:28 PM
It does sound pretty crazy. Interesting article though :cheers:

:cheers: I like to hear Celtics fans toughts in the thread I made in the Celtics forum.

darius15
07-11-2010, 09:35 PM
The reason the NBA has trouble selling seats is because tickets are really expensive, compared to the NHL atleast. If NBA tickets were the price of NHL tickets, the NBA would have no problems selling out every game.

Lebron Bryant
07-11-2010, 09:47 PM
The reason the NBA has trouble selling seats is because tickets are really expensive, compared to the NHL atleast. If NBA tickets were the price of NHL tickets, the NBA would have no problems selling out every game.

Great reason right there. NBA tickets for Lakers games are tough to get, compare to the NHL tickets of the Kings.

Ronaldinho
07-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Around the world there are a lot of basketball?s fans, and of course NBA .Mj and kobe relative well known here in Brasil.Nba here have more success than our league Nbb.But Nfl have some fans too.And Ufc its growin a lot.Mlb have very few fans.And Nhl almost none.

nba_55
07-11-2010, 09:54 PM
So what?
It doesnt make up for the 18 millions more people that watch basketball on tv.

Also, worldwide, it s not even a contest which is more popular.

Lebron Bryant
07-12-2010, 07:05 AM
So what?
It doesnt make up for the 18 millions more people that watch basketball on tv.

Also, worldwide, it s not even a contest which is more popular.

Worldwide the NBA without a question is the most popular sport league from America.

Lebron Bryant
07-12-2010, 12:43 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Basketball_Association_Nielsen_ratings All of the ratings from the past right here.

Lebron Bryant
07-12-2010, 08:29 PM
I just like to know how huge is NASCAR is around your area? People say it's more popular than NBA and I don't agree with that at all.

darius15
07-12-2010, 08:51 PM
I just like to know how huge is NASCAR is around your area? People say it's more popular than NBA and I don't agree with that at all.

In the South that shit is ridiculously big. Other than that, nobody cares about it.

SinJackal
07-12-2010, 08:53 PM

rofl? Tons of countries have baseball leagues and a national team.

Google World Baseball Classic. Let the information rain down on you.

Lebron Bryant
07-12-2010, 09:02 PM
In the South that shit is ridiculously big. Other than that, nobody cares about it.

That what I tought. Only people in my family watches it and I can't stand it.

Lebron Bryant
07-15-2010, 04:58 PM
http://www.sportsuntapped.com/worst-tv-ratings-ever-for-2010-mlb-all-star-game-110808/

This has been a bad year for ratings for baseball.

Lebron Bryant
07-15-2010, 05:49 PM
http://www.theroot.com/views/revamp-nba-all-star-game

Lebron Bryant
07-15-2010, 07:43 PM
This thread made me :lol http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183644