PDA

View Full Version : Is Jeremy Lin going to make it to the Mavs Roster?

heyhey
07-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Anyone see his play in the summer league? I been meaning to follow him but haven't had to a chance to watch the games. This guy is a pure scorer, a little reggie miller mixed in with lil Kobe. The dude was ballin in the D1 NCAA level. I was surprised he was not drafted. Definitely feel that this kid's got skill and potential to be a Brandon Roy type player if he maximizes his potential. On a low end he can be like a Ben Gordon or Jason Terry type of 6th man. Anyone knows how he's doing?

b0bab0i
07-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Hes Asian, thats why he didn't get drafted.

kentatm
07-13-2010, 03:41 PM
He has been a big surprise.

Dude is a gamer. He is really tough. He tries very hard on D and has solid court vision.

I doubt he makes the Mavs roster unless JJ Barea or Jason Terry are traded but I would not be surprised to see a team pick him up. He could also be a very solid player in Europe.

I really doubt he will end up as a D League player

Grinder
07-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Anyone see his play in the summer league? I been meaning to follow him but haven't had to a chance to watch the games. This guy is a pure shooter, a little reggie miller mixed in with lil Kobe. The dude was ballin in the D1 NCAA level. I was surprised he was not drafted. Definitely feel that this kid's got skill and potential to be a Brandon Roy type player if he maximizes his potential. On a low end he can be like a Ben Gordon or Jason Terry type of 6th man. Anyone knows how he's doing?

Worst post ever.

You've never seen him play.

Pure shooter? Shooting is one of his weaknesses, he's a slasher. He's 6'3", but he's a Brandon Roy type player? **** outta here.

heyhey
07-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Worst post ever.

You've never seen him play.

Pure shooter? Shooting is one of his weaknesses, he's a slasher. He's 6'3", but he's a Brandon Roy type player? **** outta here.

I meant say pure scorer and I saw him play against Columbia the dude was lighting it up. Definitely can shoot, which is why I said he's got a bit of Kobe in him.

Brandon Roy type of player, yes He's got great court vision and can be a PG/SG player.

U mad cause the azns taking over bball like they did laundrymats?

boozehound
07-13-2010, 03:48 PM
hes been pretty awesome in summer league, but there is no way he makes the mavs roster. Right mavs fans? you guys have too many guards for mins available as it is.

InspiredLebowski
07-13-2010, 03:48 PM
How man open spots does Dallas even have?

heyhey
07-13-2010, 03:50 PM
How man open spots does Dallas even have?

Dunno that's kind of my question.

I would take Jeremy Lin over some fool like Juan Barrea tho. Lin should be the 3rd guard off the bench behind Beoubois and Terry.

Grinder
07-13-2010, 03:50 PM
I meant say pure scorer and I saw him play against Columbia the dude was lighting it up. Definitely can shoot, which is why I said he's got a bit of Kobe in him.

Brandon Roy type of player, yes He's got great court vision and can be a PG/SG player.

Nah, I've actually be very complimentary of Lin over the last year. Check my recent posts about him, I like the guy. To say he's a Brandon Roy type player is a joke? Roy is about 3 inches taller, is a much better shooter, and isn't nearly as turnover prone. Until Lin can take care of the ball, there's no way he can play PG.

Rowe
07-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Dunno that's kind of my question.

I would take Jeremy Lin over some fool like Juan Barrea tho. Lin should be the 3rd guard off the bench behind Beoubois and Terry.

You're obviously Asian. Its nothing wrong with rooting for an Asian-American to make it in the NBA.

Did anybody else notice how many hits Jeremy Lin's NBADraft.net profile received?

Hes only behind John Wall.

kentatm
07-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Nah, I've actually be very complimentary of Lin over the last year. Check my recent posts about him, I like the guy. To say he's a Brandon Roy type player is a joke? Roy is about 3 inches taller, is a much better shooter, and isn't nearly as turnover prone. Until Lin can take care of the ball, there's no way he can play PG.

he ahs been taking care of the ball quite nicely in SL.

Dude has stood out in all three SL games with smart, hard nosed play. His shooting touch hasn't really seemed to be an issue either.

IF the Mavs are confident that Roddy can take over backup PG duties full time this year I could see Lin MAYBE making the Mavs roster as the 3rd PG.

However, that would mean JJB would have to be traded first. Its possible b/c JJB has a small, expiring deal. I doubt they will move him though.

I think he would be a good fit on the Lakers as a 3rd PG actually.

heyhey
07-13-2010, 03:58 PM
You're obviously Asian. Its nothing wrong with rooting for an Asian-American to make it in the NBA.

Did anybody else notice how many hits Jeremy Lin's NBADraft.net profile received?

I'm actually not asian :roll: I just enjoy rooting for the underdogs. I'm on the Darko, Jordan Farmar etc bandwagon as well.

InspiredLebowski
07-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Dahntay Jones for JJB

InfiniteBaskets
07-13-2010, 04:00 PM
I think he would be a good fit on the Lakers as a 3rd PG actually.

Sun Yue part 2?

lol I just youtubed this kid's "summer league highlights"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKrjrtNXaEA

Apparently, most people mistakenly think he's the first Asian-American to possibly make it in the NBA.

Rowe
07-13-2010, 04:01 PM
I'm actually not asian :roll: I just enjoy rooting for the underdogs. I'm on the Darko, Jordan Farmar etc bandwagon as well.

How is Jeremy Lin an underdog? :confusedshrug:

heyhey
07-13-2010, 04:15 PM
How is Jeremy Lin an underdog? :confusedshrug:

He's not black:confusedshrug:

Rowe
07-13-2010, 04:30 PM
He's not black:confusedshrug:
But hes 6'3 200lbs.

Dude I am 5'8.:lol

PowerGlove
07-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Cuban will not let him slip to the heat so yeah, he's going to make it.

triangleoffense
07-13-2010, 04:39 PM

There is like 2 active asian players in the entire league. And oh no not the laundromats!

DuMa
07-13-2010, 05:27 PM

China at it again

Flashbeanie
07-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Asian-Americans are following this guy closely for many reasons.

1) He's not a giant from Mainland China. His parents probably came to the US for graduate school in science/engineering and don't have the freakish genes that Yao Ming's parents have. Therefore, a lot of Asian-Americans can identify with this kid.

2) He doesn't have the passive mentality of a China-bred basketball player. He balls with a more aggressive American mindset. Asian-Americans dislike the passiveness of foreign Asian ballers.

3) This would be the first Asian-American to break into a true team sport. Tennis had Michael Chang. Golf has a bunch of Asian-Americans. Baseball, football, basketball, hockey don't have any. Hines Ward is half-Asian-American, but that's just that. He's not pure.

Scoooter
07-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Dat Nguyen was Vietnamese. He played for the Cowboys. He was pretty good too.

heyhey
07-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Asian-Americans are following this guy closely for many reasons.

1) He's not a giant from Mainland China. His parents probably came to the US for graduate school in science/engineering and don't have the freakish genes that Yao Ming's parents have. Therefore, a lot of Asian-Americans can identify with this kid.

2) He doesn't have the passive mentality of a China-bred basketball player. He balls with a more aggressive American mindset. Asian-Americans dislike the passiveness of foreign Asian ballers.

3) This would be the first Asian-American to break into a true team sport. Tennis had Michael Chang. Golf has a bunch of Asian-Americans. Baseball, football, basketball, hockey don't have any. Hines Ward is half-Asian-American, but that's just that. He's not pure.

I'm repping him cause he's from Harvard. Ivy League represents brah.

THe kid's highlight video is more sicker than Lebron's highlights before he came into the league and that's just real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVVzGm8SbOM

If Jimmy Lin was a black dude named Rashawn with a afro he would been drafted in the 1st round, probably lottery pick.

wang4three
07-13-2010, 06:44 PM
Go Jeremy! Parents are from Taiwan! His dad is probably more of an NBA fan than any of us here.

Maga_1
07-13-2010, 06:57 PM
I like this kid, he's agressive not affraid of contact and try to play simple basketball .. I don't think he could have a spot on Dallas team, but i hope other team sign him

ShoeGuy
07-13-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm repping him cause he's from Harvard. Ivy League represents brah.

THe kid's highlight video is more sicker than Lebron's highlights before he came into the league and that's just real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVVzGm8SbOM

If Jimmy Lin was a black dude named Rashawn with a afro he would been drafted in the 1st round, probably lottery pick.

This is the first time I've heard about this guy. I remember when Yao was drafted, I was wondering if an Asian-American would ever make it in the NBA. The odds are so against us because of our upbringing. We all are bred to become doctors/lawyers/engineers where studying overrides sports. I know for sure if I told my parents I wanted to focus on basketball, they would disown me. And to think this guy is from Harvard too.

From the few videos I've seen, he seems to play very aggressive. Still think he's too small to play, but it's a great start. I hope to see more Asian-Americans try for the NBA in the future.

wang4three
07-13-2010, 07:13 PM
This is the first time I've heard about this guy. I remember when Yao was drafted, I was wondering if an Asian-American would ever make it in the NBA. The odds are so against us because of our upbringing. We all are bred to become doctors/lawyers/engineers where studying overrides sports. I know for sure if I told my parents I wanted to focus on basketball, they would disown me. And to think this guy is from Harvard too.

From the few videos I've seen, he seems to play very aggressive. Still think he's too small to play, but it's a great start. I hope to see more Asian-Americans try for the NBA in the future.

Read this:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=4730385

heyhey
07-15-2010, 10:10 PM
NAWICE defense jeremy played on Wall tonight. I only saw several possessions but he had the quickness to stay in front of wall, fastest player in the summer league. Definitely can use him on the lakers.

MeLO MvP 15
07-15-2010, 10:47 PM
he'll prob get camp invites from a couple of teams, but if he wants to make a roster for opening day he would prob have to go to a bad team like Indiana... but if he rather stay in Dallas, he could maybe get a 10 day contract later in the year if he gets cut

Beebo
07-15-2010, 10:47 PM
I wanna see this guy make it into the NBA. If he doesn't then oh well, he could just fall back on his Harvard education

wang4three
07-15-2010, 10:49 PM
I wanna see this guy make it into the NBA. If he doesn't then oh well, he could just fall back on his Harvard education

I'm sure he can play anywhere overseas, whether it'll be Europe or Asia. He's also mentioned a desire of being a pasture.

Grinder
07-15-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm sure he can play anywhere overseas, whether it'll be Europe or Asia. He's also mentioned a desire of being a pasture.

He wants to be a piece of land that cows graze on?

Couldn't resist.

wang4three
07-15-2010, 10:55 PM
He wants to be a piece of land that cows graze on?

Couldn't resist.

What I get for typing on my blackberry.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-15-2010, 10:59 PM
I seriously doubt he makes the Mavs roster. The Mavs have Kidd/Terry/JJ/Roddy. And like Kent said, if Terry and/or JJ gets moved then Lin has a shot as a 3rd string point guard. JJ Barea was undrafted 3-4 years ago. He played on the Mavs summer league team. No one thought he had a chance for a roster spot. The Mavs signed him as a 3rd string point guard. And look where he is now... a decent back up in the league. So there is some hope...

I think his major problem will be the speed of the NBA game. He is not very quick. And speed kills in the NBA.

Grinder
07-15-2010, 11:02 PM
I seriously doubt he makes the Mavs roster. The Mavs have Kidd/Terry/JJ/Roddy. And like Kent said, if Terry and/or JJ gets moved then Lin has a shot as a 3rd string point guard. JJ Barea was undrafted 3-4 years ago. He played on the Mavs summer league team. No one thought he had a chance for a roster spot. The Mavs signed him as a 3rd string point guard. And look where he is now... a decent back up in the league. So there is some hope...

I think his major problem will be the speed of the NBA game. He is not very quick. And speed kills in the NBA.

Lin isn't quick?

His quickness and first step might be his biggest weapon.

DaniloGallinari
07-15-2010, 11:03 PM
I can see his weakness being lack of a shot and his dribble could use some work. I think it's a bit too slow.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Lin isn't quick?

His quickness and first step might be his biggest weapon.

With the ball? Nope.

SchoolRumble
07-16-2010, 01:04 AM
from what I saw, he was pretty quick.

Lebron23
07-16-2010, 01:27 AM
Will Lin play for the Chinese National Team in the 2010 FIBA World Championship?

AK47DR91
07-16-2010, 01:31 AM
Apparently, most people mistakenly think he's the first Asian-American to possibly make it in the NBA.

Some Japanese American guy played for the Knicks way back in the days. His career lasted a week I think. :oldlol:

kmart
07-16-2010, 01:31 AM
Asians :rockon:

But I know hes probaby not going to make it

wang4three
07-16-2010, 01:33 AM
Will Lin play for the Chinese National Team in the 2010 FIBA World Championship?

I doubt it. China doesn't hand out citizenships like that. In their eyes, he wouldn't even be considered Chinese. Not to mention if his parents consider themselves Taiwanese, I really doubt he feels any bond with China.

Also, even if he were allowed, it'd be impossible for him to be ready for the 2010 WCs considering he's playing summer league instead of practicing with the team.

Bruinlove
07-16-2010, 01:39 AM
Useless Barea and/or Terry should be moved and Roddy should start at shooting guard. I doubt Lin can cut it in the NBA but it's not like Terry or Barea are any good either.

Lebron23
07-16-2010, 01:58 AM
I doubt it. China doesn't hand out citizenships like that. In their eyes, he wouldn't even be considered Chinese. Not to mention if his parents consider themselves Taiwanese, I really doubt he feels any bond with China.

Also, even if he were allowed, it'd be impossible for him to be ready for the 2010 WCs considering he's playing summer league instead of practicing with the team.

Thanks for the info. I hope Lin make it in the NBA next season.

DuMa
07-16-2010, 03:02 AM
no future with the present day Mavs roster. but he should get plenty of looks from other teams.

LT Ice Cream
07-16-2010, 03:05 AM
How can you possibly make a comparison to Kobe or Roy? Dude is a true point guard.

godofgods
07-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Racism will prevent him from getting into the league.

Boogaboog
07-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Racism will prevent him from getting into the league.

I agree, and I'm "black".

Snoop_Cat
07-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Hope the Knicks give him a shot. Good back up at the 1/2 , not to mention the HUGE Asian population in NY. The merchandise sales will be humongous.

hateraid
07-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Hope the Knicks give him a shot. Good back up at the 1/2 , not to mention the HUGE Asian population in NY. The merchandise sales will be humongous.

Bigger in Houston (not yao related).
Whoever said lin wasn't fast is way off. The kid looked faster than Wall last night. Anybody see the strip he made and burned it down the court and dunked it? That was Eddie Jones fast.
Kid has game indeed, he looks better than half of the current NBA backups.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Whoever said lin wasn't fast is way off. The kid looked faster than Wall last night. Anybody see the strip he made and burned it down the court and dunked it? That was Eddie Jones fast.

I said he wasn't quick with the ball. And after seeing so far all 4 summer league games from the Mavs... he will struggle mightily beating his man off the dribble. Right now the only way he frees himself up is from a pick and even then, he is struggling getting the first step on the defender.

wang4three
07-16-2010, 12:27 PM
I said he wasn't quick with the ball. And after seeing so far all 4 summer league games from the Mavs... he will struggle mightily beating his man off the dribble. Right now the only way he frees himself up is from a pick and even then, he is struggling getting the first step on the defender.

If he's not quick to begin with then yeah, it'll be difficult for him to start beating his man off the dribble, but he is quick. Learning to tighten his handles is very doable for a 21/22 year old. He's very light-footed and takes long strides so I don't think he will "struggle" for very long.

heyhey
07-16-2010, 03:51 PM
If he's not quick to begin with then yeah, it'll be difficult for him to start beating his man off the dribble, but he is quick. Learning to tighten his handles is very doable for a 21/22 year old. He's very light-footed and takes long strides so I don't think he will "struggle" for very long.

dude don't you get it brah, his complexion is not dark enough for him to be considered athletic or quick. If you are yellow, you are not beating your man off the dribble...

:roll: :roll: this racism is killing me inside.

DaniloGallinari
07-16-2010, 04:02 PM
He is pretty damn athletic. I do agree with his first step dribble speed though. He can improve that easily though, and tighten up his dribbles. They're too loose.

Besides that, he's pretty good. I expect him to make a team by November as a backup.

Kobe4life
07-16-2010, 04:21 PM
heat should sign him

Basketman
07-16-2010, 04:24 PM
heat should sign him
That's what I thought! With Jeremy Lin the Heat will get a lot of Asian fans and he will benefit from playing with the best players in the game.

kentatm
07-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Cuban was on ESPN 103.3 here in Dallas just now and implied that Lin is getting a training camp invite. He also said they are probably leaving a roster spot open in case somebody in camp proves themselves.

JJ Barea has just been put on notice.

Basketman
07-16-2010, 04:25 PM
IMO Dallas is far from being the best fit for Lin.

Poodle
07-16-2010, 04:29 PM
i was impressed with this guy last night against the Wiz. i had no idea he was blowing up in other summer league games too. he played good D on Wall, anticipated a nice steal one play, and really overall was a crowd favorite.

he's azn too. gotta cheer for the NBA minorities :cheers:

ps not to say he's going to be some star. more like good/decent role player at best...

pps Wall really impressed me last night too even tho he shot a horrible %. i take back what i said before about him being disappointing, i see flashes of superstar in his game. really great at shaking people, if only he develops his finishing/shots he's going to live up to expectations imo.

flipogb
07-16-2010, 04:30 PM
hes an Asian-American of Taiwanese decent guys, don't confuse him with a Yao or Yi -> the Chinese population won't give a sh*t about him

Boogaboog
07-16-2010, 04:36 PM
hes an Asian-American of Taiwanese decent guys, don't confuse him with a Yao or Yi -> the Chinese population won't give a sh*t about him

To some degree they might. They cared about Michael Chang in tennis.

DarkSephiroth
07-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Regardless of whether or not Jeremy Lin makes the league, he has earned the respect and admiration of people all around. He has proven he can play at an extremely high level, and whether he makes the league is irrelevant. He has the game to play professional basketball, whether it's here or overseas, he's still a success in the world of basketball and life. I know a lot of people from Northern California that know him and say he's humble and a good person. That is all you can ask of someone.

As far as his game goes, if he gets the right opportunities, I can see him contributing off the bench in the NBA. He can shoot the ball pretty well and is relatively fast. I have heard he doesn't have premier court vision which is vital for a point guard, but if you're playing for a team where the PG doesn't really need to create (Say... a Lakers type offense), then he will be fine. I have a lot of respect for him, regardless of if he makes it or not. He can definitely play overseas, and if not, he still has a degree from Harvard to fall back on. I think he's got a great future ahead of him, whether it involves basketball or not.

heyhey
07-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Regardless of whether or not Jeremy Lin makes the league, he has earned the respect and admiration of people all around. He has proven he can play at an extremely high level, and whether he makes the league is irrelevant. He has the game to play professional basketball, whether it's here or overseas, he's still a success in the world of basketball and life. I know a lot of people from Northern California that know him and say he's humble and a good person. That is all you can ask of someone.

As far as his game goes, if he gets the right opportunities, I can see him contributing off the bench in the NBA. He can shoot the ball pretty well and is relatively fast. I have heard he doesn't have premier court vision which is vital for a point guard, but if you're playing for a team where the PG doesn't really need to create (Say... a Lakers type offense), then he will be fine. I have a lot of respect for him, regardless of if he makes it or not. He can definitely play overseas, and if not, he still has a degree from Harvard to fall back on. I think he's got a great future ahead of him, whether it involves basketball or not.

with a handle like DarkSephiroth we know you asian brah. :applause: support your peeps. I'm on the bandwagon too. Hope he comes to the Lakers or Knicks.

kentatm
07-16-2010, 06:42 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/DallasMavericks/post/_/id/4670242/jeremy-lin-on-galloway-company

here is a nice interview from Lin today

wang4three
07-16-2010, 06:59 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/DallasMavericks/post/_/id/4670242/jeremy-lin-on-galloway-company

here is a nice interview from Lin today

So he's going to make it, it seems. Awesome! Hopefully to a team that'll give him minutes. He mentioned loving Nash, it'd be awesome to seem him on PHX.

GOBB
07-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Yeah he is fun to watch. Needs to polish up on finishing plays. He's got to the basket and missed the finish. But I like how he can get to the basket. Work on that jumper some more. I hope he makes it.

Lin in Phx with Nash/Dragic would be nice. He could just watch and learn.

New York Knicks
07-17-2010, 04:30 AM
He looked really good against the Wiz. The Mavs have an eye for those unknowns. Really wish the Knicks picked him up. He looks like he could run the Mike D'Antoni offense.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-17-2010, 11:45 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/columns/story?columnist=caplan_jeff&id=5387547

Lin's prospects grow with Mavs squad
Guard becomes a hot commodity, nears NBA contract with summer performance

* Email
* Print
* Comments15

Caplan By Jeff Caplan
ESPNDallas.com
Archive

LAS VEGAS -- That nice little story about Ivy Leaguer Jeremy Lin getting a shot with the Dallas Mavericks' summer league team is about to get serious.

Lin is on the verge of signing an NBA contract, and it could be with the Mavericks, who view him as an intriguing developmental point guard and a strong candidate to run the club's new D-League affiliate that begins play this fall in Frisco.

"We're in discussions as we speak," Mavs president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said Friday afternoon. "We are extremely interested in him as a young player."

Lin
Lin

Suddenly, the player deemed too flawed in most major areas to survive in the NBA is in contract discussions with three teams, according to league sources. The Los Angeles Lakers are believed to be one, with an Eastern Conference team the other.

"We know we could lose him just as easily," Nelson said.

Lin's agent, Roger Montgomery, said additional teams inquired about the Harvard graduate Friday after Lin's exceptional effort Thursday night when he battled toe-to-toe with John Wall, the Washington Wizards' No. 1 overall draft pick. While those other teams could be considered, the 6-foot-3, 200-pound Lin is studying the roster fit of the three frontrunners. Montgomery and Nelson are expected to talk in the next 48 hours, with Lin's decision expected soon afterward.

"I haven't slept much in a while. It's been really exciting," Lin said. "Obviously, it's a dream come true and it's great to be able to get that offer now in the summer league than have to go through training camp. I can't remember the last time I've had problems sleeping. It's been a crazy day or two."

If financial offers and plans for Lin's development are relatively equal, he seems to have an affinity for the Mavs and Nelson, who was the first NBA executive to latch onto him in April at the Portsmouth Invitational, and the only one to offer Lin a summer league roster spot.

"He said he loved my game and the way I played and my basketball IQ, but then he said, 'I think you're about one year away from the NBA, so I want you to come play for my D-League team,' " Lin said. "That's how it started. He didn't draft me because he still thought I needed a year to develop, but he wanted me to come play for them, get comfortable with the city, get comfortable with the organization."

Lin arrived in Las Vegas with NBA executives labeling him as a 'tweener, unsure if he's a point guard or a shooting guard or good enough to play either. But Lin's aggressive drives, combative defense, court savvy and leadership have knocked the socks off those executives -- who now deem him a combo guard -- and turned Lin into a crowd favorite. And now, the skinny point guard out of Palo Alto (Calif.) High School, who could only garner walk-on invites from Pac-10 schools, is about to make his and his family's dreams come true.

Throughout the summer league, Lin's father, Gie-Ming, his mother, Shirley, and his two brothers, Josh and Joseph, have watched every minute. Peter Diepenbrock, Lin's high school coach and an enthusiastic promoter, arrived for Thursday's game and will remain through the weekend as the Mavs' squad closes out the five-game summer league Sunday.

"When you talk about what he's done this week here, he's turned the thinking about him from a negative to a positive," said Diepenbrock, who won a California state championship with Lin in 2006. "The other thing is Jeremy is a point guard. He played off-guard in college, but in my opinion Jeremy is a point guard. He is the ultimate leader. We talk about his basketball ability and all that, but he is a guy who speaks his mind.

More on the Mavs

News, notes and analysis of the Mavericks from ESPNDallas.com's Jeff Caplan, Tim MacMahon and the rest of our team. Blog.

"When he was a freshman in high school, he's telling seniors, 'You're supposed to go here, you're supposed to do this,' because he has just an innate feel for the game and a confidence in that feeling that he knows exactly what people should be doing, when they should be doing it and he's not afraid to speak his mind. The point guard, first and foremost, is a leader on the floor."

Lin could become the first Harvard player in the NBA since Ed Smith in 1953. As a senior, Lin nearly guided the non-scholarship Crimson to its first NCAA Tournament berth since 1946. He averaged 16.4 points and 4.4 rebounds. He went undrafted and was widely considered a nice story but not an NBA player.

Much like his 8.0 scoring average with 2.0 assists and 2.3 rebounds in 15.7 minutes in four summer league games, Lin's stat line doesn't tell the whole story of his production and value. The Mavs came to Las Vegas seeking to train the electrifying guard Rodrigue Beaubois to run the point but will leave knowing that Lin -- while not the complete athlete or pure shooter as Beaubois -- is the superior point guard.

Lin took over the team for much of the second half against the Wizards as Beaubois sat on a poor outing and a slight ankle injury. Lin gave Wall all he could handle at both ends while leading a comeback and drawing oohs and aahs from the crowd with several fearless drives to the rim.

If Lin signs with the Mavs, he could give them potential long-term insurance in case Beaubois does not develop as hoped as a floor leader.

"He makes everybody else around him better. That's a sign of a real player," Nelson said. "A lot of times, and we've been through this before with a guy like Steve Nash, people have a hard time projecting certain players. I just know every team those guys were on won. Jeremy's got some of the same characteristics."

Lin's father saw it almost immediately when he put a basketball in the hands of his three sons at an early age. All three grew up playing all the time. Lin's older brother, Josh, stoked the competitive juices in Jeremy and younger brother, Joseph, who will be a freshman member of the basketball team at Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pa., this fall.

"It's been all of our dreams to go to the NBA," Joseph said, "and he's actually going."

Galloway & Co.: 7/15

Mavs summer league guard Jeremy Lin joins GAC to discuss making it in the NBA.

More Podcasts

Hawker
07-17-2010, 02:34 PM
I really hope this kid makes it. He seems like he's good enough.

Baby_D
07-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Damn I remember that dude, he went to the high school next to mine and used to rip us apart. I forgot about him, glad hes getting a shot though

Beebo
07-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Great news! Would love to see this kid in the NBA, I will definitely be cheering for him

kentatm
07-17-2010, 06:58 PM
I bet he ends up with the Lakers.

wang4three
07-17-2010, 07:08 PM
I bet he ends up with the Lakers.

I'm sure Taiwan would love that. They only play one team constantly over there and it's the Lakers. Having the son of two Taiwanese-born citizens on the Lakers would be a dream pairing. It's almost sickening how many Laker fan boys are over there. I mention I'm a Nets fan and the only thing they say is "Is that the team that the Lakers beat in 2002? Are they still around?"

Though I'll root for Jeremy wherever he goes. I hope it's to a team that plays rookies though.

EllisGW
07-20-2010, 06:21 PM
this guy was on 5th grade ymc team in palo alto back in the daywhen my dad was the coach. Nobody ever give him a chance even in the 5th grade. He was third option on the 5th grade ymc team. Then in high school he went to state and no colleges give him a d1 offer. Now he chance to make the nba and i wish him good luck.

EllisGW
07-20-2010, 06:32 PM
this guy was on 5th grade ymc team in palo alto back in the daywhen my dad was the coach. Nobody ever give him a chance even in the 5th grade. He was third option on the 5th grade ymc team. Then in high school he went to state and no colleges give him a d1 offer. Now he chance to make the nba and i wish him good luck.

gutterballer733
07-20-2010, 06:56 PM
I saw him play in person pretty recently (back in college) and I was not impressed at all. He didn't even look like the best player on his team, let alone an nba prospect. I realize it could have been on off game, but still. I think he is vastly over hyped because he is asian. Not being racist or anything, I just think that because of this, he is getting more credit for what he is doing than he might deserve. Fun guy to root for, but I think he is overrated.

wang4three
07-20-2010, 06:57 PM
I saw him play in person pretty recently (back in college) and I was not impressed at all. He didn't even look like the best player on his team, let alone an nba prospect. I realize it could have been on off game, but still. I think he is vastly over hyped because he is asian. Not being racist or anything, I just think that because of this, he is getting more credit for what he is doing than he might deserve. Fun guy to root for, but I think he is overrated.

I saw him play in college too and he was easily the best player on the court.

I also find it funny you can call a guy over hyped or overrated when he wasn't even drafted.

InfiniteBaskets
07-20-2010, 06:59 PM

I saw him on two summer league games. The guy isn't John Wall, but he can split defenses at the summer league level with consistency. Not something that can be said for most college PGs.

gutterballer733
07-20-2010, 07:04 PM
I saw him play in college too and he was easily the best player on the court.
The guy he was guarding dropped 22 points on him, and his team lost by 22 to my school. I don't know, like I said, it could have just been on off game :confusedshrug:

kentatm
07-20-2010, 07:08 PM
The guy he was guarding dropped 22 points on him, and his team lost by 22 to my school. I don't know, like I said, it could have just been on off game :confusedshrug:

App State?

gutterballer733
07-20-2010, 07:12 PM
App State?
You got it. Not exactly a basketball powerhouse either ha.

wang4three
07-20-2010, 07:14 PM

Defense was never his strong point, but I don't find that to be a telling sign. Plenty of players/teams have had bad games against lower level talent. Syracuse with the 4th pick overall, Wes Johnson, lost to a DII team, Le Moyne in a pre-season game. UNC with Ed Davis lost to College of Charleston during the season. Kansas with two lottery picks in Cole Alrdich AND Xavier Henry lost to Nothern Iowa. Shit happens.

itsGameTime
07-21-2010, 02:10 PM
the next Sun Yue anyone?

Lebron23
07-21-2010, 02:12 PM
the next Sun Yue anyone?

He's better than Sun Yue.

bagelred
07-21-2010, 02:22 PM
He's the most popular Asian since this guy.

http://laurasaura.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/1081297418256_william4sm.jpg