PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys measure height?

Grafbag
07-19-2010, 09:06 PM
I just wanna know whether you measure yourselves with shoes on or barefoot. In Australia, if you ask someone how tall they are, the answer will always come barefoot as *M/**cm.
I'm 1.84m At the moment (Just over 6"0) barefoot, but in shoes I'm 1.87 (Just under 6"2). So in America, which would I say when asked about it?

Also, I'm 15, turning 16 in a couple of months and was wondering how much you older guys grew after that age. Any input's appreciated.

1manfastbreak
07-19-2010, 09:48 PM
when i was 15 i was about 6 1 or 6 2 around that. im 19 now and around 6 4-6 5. i just tell everyone im 6'5"

Jxgator33
07-19-2010, 10:38 PM
Most american ball players (At least on the AAU circuit) take their height with shoes and roudn up

Rake2204
07-20-2010, 01:53 AM
Most american ball players (At least on the AAU circuit) take their height with shoes and roudn up
Ha, I do believe that's true. As a normal human being, I don't even hesitate to tell others I'm only 6'3'' (or 6'2'' and three quarters to be exact). Yet, as a basketball player, I was always listed at 6'4''. And, this isn't confirmed, but I feel like NBA heights are "with shoes" listings as well. I could be wrong. I just feel like I read these Draft Combine workout results and see players checking in at a much lower height than the are normally listed.

Swaggin916
07-20-2010, 02:16 AM
Well I measure height based on what your barefoot height is... but the NBA does it in shoes. There really aren't that many 7 footers around... which is why you always get "The Lakers have so much size blah blah..." because they have two legit 7 footers with no shoes. Gasol is more like 7'2 in shoes and Bynum is probably 7'1. .. other so called 7 footers are more like 6'10 1/2/6'11.

I am 5'10 3/4 without shoes so I just say I'm 5'11. Close enough. I would surely be listed at 6' in any level of basketball that measures height tho (because in shoes I'm 6').

Timmy D for MVP
07-20-2010, 03:29 AM
Well the only time I ever get measured these days is at the doctors office and there it's in socks.

For the NBA they do it barefoot I think and then add like 5 inches. Lol.

Penguinator
07-20-2010, 07:10 AM
Im 177cm barefooted and I just turned 16. Im Singaporean and I was wondering at what age did u guys stop growing?

Swaggin916
07-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Im 177cm barefooted and I just turned 16. Im Singaporean and I was wondering at what age did u guys stop growing?

Seemed like right around 17-18 for me. I might have grown a 1/16 of an inch in between 18 and 21.

Rake2204
07-21-2010, 12:51 AM
Well the only time I ever get measured these days is at the doctors office and there it's in socks.

For the NBA they do it barefoot I think and then add like 5 inches. Lol.
You know, I was kind of holding out on the doctors' office, waiting to see how they would handle height measurements, assuming as the professionals that they are, they'd follow a specific procedure and set the standard of how height is supposed to be measured. Alas, I remember them being dismissive when I suggested removing my shoes for the height check and any clothes for the weight check. I came in about two inches taller and 20 pounds heavier than at any other point of my life. I kind of got the feeling they didn't care as much about my height as I did.

Timmy D for MVP
07-21-2010, 02:40 AM
You know, I was kind of holding out on the doctors' office, waiting to see how they would handle height measurements, assuming as the professionals that they are, they'd follow a specific procedure and set the standard of how height is supposed to be measured. Alas, I remember them being dismissive when I suggested removing my shoes for the height check and any clothes for the weight check. I came in about two inches taller and 20 pounds heavier than at any other point of my life. I kind of got the feeling they didn't care as much about my height as I did.

Haha. Wow!

That's odd cause height and weight can be extremely important when talking about doses and such. That's strange.