PDA

View Full Version : Shaq wants to sign with Boston

Kevin_Garnett_5
07-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Veteran free agent center Shaquille O'Neal -- the future Hall of Famer without a team -- has been lobbying the Boston Celtics aggressively, still trying to convince them that his addition would help their quest to win another NBA championship.

He still wants to be The Big Leprechaun.

The Celtics, who lost to the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA Finals in June, are facing the difficult task of holding off both the suddenly star-studded Miami Heat and the improved Orlando Magic in the Eastern Conference to get their rematch in the Finals.

Although O'Neal was unavailable for comment Friday, two sources close to him confirmed his continued interest in the Celtics, even though they currently have no room, or exceptions, under the salary cap to pay him beyond the NBA veteran's minimum of $1.35 million.

The Celtics could pay him more, but only if his former team, the Cleveland Cavaliers, helped with a sign-and-trade deal.

"He only wants to go to a team with a chance to win it all,'' one source said. "That's a short list. Even for the money, he's not going to a non-contender.''

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/23/shaq-wants-to-wear-celtics-green/

I know most Celtic fans will disagree with me but I would most definitely love to have Shaq on the team. :bowdown:

J_Rock3ts
07-23-2010, 09:51 PM
If he signs for the vet's minimum, i'm all for it. can't have too much frontcourt help, especially come playoff time.

Meticode
07-23-2010, 09:51 PM
They already have Jermaine O'Neal, and then when Perkin's comes back someone will get way less playing time.

nosurrender
07-23-2010, 09:53 PM
yessir, i'm on board

ReturnofJPR
07-23-2010, 09:53 PM
They already have Jermaine O'Neal, and then when Perkin's comes back someone will get way less playing time.

Maybe JO can play the PF, do you think he can? I would love to see Shaq in Boston.

w00terz
07-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Low risk, possible high reward. If he can give 10-15 solid minutes he can be very effective. I would be all for it if I was a Celtics fan.

nosurrender
07-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Maybe JO can play the PF, do you think he can? I would love to see Shaq in Boston.

jo was a pf for the earlier part of his career

alanLA92
07-23-2010, 09:57 PM
seems like shaq took the whole "never becoming a laker again" to the heart :lol

Harison
07-23-2010, 09:58 PM
If he comes cheap, why not? Even ancient Shaq could be decent help from the bench up to 15 mins per game.

ReturnofJPR
07-23-2010, 09:59 PM
jo was a pf for the earlier part of his career

GOOD, then this means Shaq to Boston has some legs to it. Perkins is out for a long time so JO can even start at C and Shaq can back him up til Perk gets back.

Warners0
07-23-2010, 09:59 PM

Shaq like T-Mac like Iverson would only be good for teams if they accept a bench role with humility. However i don't know if any of these three are capable of not getting attention and just being one of the guys they have been stars for way too long and they want their piece of the action. They may have a dominant practice here and there and think why am I not playing more and pout, sulk and cause a fuss.

If I was the Celtics I wouldn't do it, when perkins gets back where is shaq going to play?

dirkdiggler41
07-23-2010, 10:00 PM
The problem is, will Shaq be able to come of the bench when Perkins return, will he accept it? His minutes will also be heavily reduced, will he be able to handle that?

Kevin_Garnett_5
07-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Shaq like T-Mac like Iverson would only be good for teams if they accept a bench role with humility. However i don't know if any of these three are capable of not getting attention and just being one of the guys they have been stars for way too long and they want their piece of the action. They may have a dominant practice here and there and think why am I not playing more and pout, sulk and cause a fuss.

If I was the Celtics I wouldn't do it, when perkins gets back where is shaq going to play? Perk won't be the same when he comes back. His minutes will likely be reduced even if Shaq doesn't come to Boston.

J_Rock3ts
07-23-2010, 10:06 PM
if anyone's going to see a big cut in minutes, it's glen davis.

MayCeltics
07-23-2010, 10:07 PM
I think ShaQ will sacrifice it gets him his 5th ring. If he throw the ego outta the door, ShaQ can help the Celtics and Celtics can help him. Perk isn't a probelm, dude won't be back for a while. When he returns his role will be limited for health reason.

D-Rose
07-23-2010, 10:07 PM
I can see him doing well against Miami. Boston again looking like a team that will not care about the reg season and save their best for the postseason. should give Miami a tough challenge if they meet up.

DFish
07-23-2010, 10:08 PM
Shaq could give the Celtics a huge presence in the paint.

CelticsFan34
07-23-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm all for it. We could use the help in the big man department and it'd certainly be interesting to see Garnett and Shaq play in the same frontcourt, despite them both being years past their prime.

ReturnofJPR
07-23-2010, 10:12 PM
Shaq still commands double teams, and if his ego accepts a back up role, he will str8 up dominate all back up C's in the NBA.

nosurrender
07-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Shaq still commands double teams, and if his ego accepts a back up role, he will str8 up dominate all back up C's in the NBA.

he does not command double teams anymore as seen in the celts cavs series

but he's a big body with 6 fouls and a ton of knowledge/experience

Bandito
07-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Does someone seriously think he will play backup to some chump with his same last name? H3ll no.

Joshumitsu
07-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Shaq would be a good back up.

He's still strong and offensively, his per 36 numbers are almost as good as Dwight Howard's.

ReturnofJPR
07-23-2010, 10:28 PM
he does not command double teams anymore as seen in the celts cavs series

but he's a big body with 6 fouls and a ton of knowledge/experience

For the majority of teams in the NBA, they won't have a Perkins or a Dwight Howard to play one on one.

Derka
07-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Only if he takes the veteran's minimum or something close to it.

MeLO MvP 15
07-23-2010, 10:32 PM
I think they should sign him for a couple of reasons... first of all, JO can play PF (his natural position) and they will still need a big off the bench for the first half of the season ( I don't think they want Baby playing 30 mpg until Perk is back), also they need someone when Perk comes back considering he won't be 100% and Shaq offers something that no1 else on Boston can (he's a legit 7 footer and has size)

Kevin_Garnett_5
07-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Shaq is still a great rebounder, which was one of Boston's biggest weaknesses last season.

ReturnofJPR
07-23-2010, 10:41 PM
I would love to see a Boston-Heat series late in the postseason. I think, with Shaq, there would be more than enough to BEAT the HEAT.

And there ladies and gentlemen is your new chant that will be chanted in arenas all throughout the country for years on end. You are welcome.

dbugz
07-23-2010, 10:43 PM
I think they should sign him for a couple of reasons... first of all, JO can play PF (his natural position) and they will still need a big off the bench for the first half of the season ( I don't think they want Baby playing 30 mpg until Perk is back), also they need someone when Perk comes back considering he won't be 100% and Shaq offers something that no1 else on Boston can (he's a legit 7 footer and has size)

nice analysis.

Well there's no more good C left on the free agent market IMO and the Cs already signed Daniel to backup Pierce.

Imagin the two O'neals as your front court?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's very huge and by signing Shaq, Cs will have someone to matchup the size of the Lakers.

If they sign him, It's ok if they'll not play him for the regular season or give him 15MPG, as long as he'll be healthy comes playoffs, Cs will have a better chance going again to the Finals :pimp:

The only concern is that Cs front court are all injury prone...

KG
JO
Shaq

and now Perk :banghead:

QuebecBaller
07-23-2010, 10:44 PM
O'neal pass to O'neal. O'neal shoot and he miss. O'neal grab the rebound, pass to O'neal, O'neal with a hook shot, it's good.

icewill36
07-23-2010, 10:48 PM
glen davis is better than jermaine oneal at this point

CelticsFan34
07-23-2010, 10:49 PM
Let's not forget Ainge's affinity for big name stars at the end of their roads (Gary Payton, Michael Finley, Stephon Marbury, Jermaine O'Neal). In Danny's dreams, Bird, Mchale, and Parish would be walking through that door to fill in the bench. Danny won't be the reason an O'Neal to Boston signing doesn't happen.

ReturnofJPR
07-23-2010, 10:50 PM
O'neal pass to O'neal. O'neal shoot and he miss. O'neal grab the rebound, pass to O'neal, O'neal with a hook shot, it's good.

Wow, just when you thought Celtic announcer/HOMER Tommy Heinsohn could not get anymore annoying...

TrueRob
07-23-2010, 10:50 PM
That would be great for Boston if Shaq takes the vet min. If everyone can stay healthy, I could see Boston returning to the Finals next season with Shaq on board.

ReturnofJPR
07-23-2010, 10:52 PM
That would be great for Boston if Shaq takes the vet min. If everyone can stay healthy, I could see Boston returning to the Finals next season with Shaq on board.

So can I. They had a chance without him but they would have the versatility to win any kind of NBA game an opposing team would want to play with another big body like Shaq in the mix. They already have so many weapons from Rondo to Pierce...having Shaq as a back up is pretty sick.

DixieNourmous
07-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Anyone think Shaq may be doing this because LA didnt want him?

May have hurt his feelings and hes doing this to spite Jerry Buss.

ReturnofJPR
07-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Anyone think Shaq may be doing this because LA didnt want him?

May have hurt his feelings and hes doing this to spite Jerry Buss.

I wouldn't put it past him...if Shaq has proven one thing over the years it is that his ego is bigger than the Empire State Building.

DixieNourmous
07-23-2010, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't put it past him...if Shaq has proven one thing over the years it is that his ego is bigger than the Empire State Building.

:lol true dat

B-Low
07-23-2010, 11:01 PM
"Can I play here?"

Miami: "No."

"Can I play here?"

Lakers: "No."

"Can I play here?"

Celtics: (to be continued)

Good lord shaq just retire with some dignity. This last second ring chasing is getting sad

no pun intended
07-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Big Leprechaun role is taken already. Brian Scalabrine is officially the Celtics mascot. Leave that be.

NBASTATMAN
07-23-2010, 11:08 PM

I know most Celtic fans will disagree with me but I would most definitely love to have Shaq on the team. :bowdown:

Shaq would be a great piece if he just understood that he is not a prime time player anymore.. He would be a great addition on a team like the Celtics who would only need him for 10-20 minutes a game.

ReturnofJPR
07-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Big Leprechaun role is taken already. Brian Scalabrine is officially the Celtics mascot. Leave that be.

He is a free agent, isn't he? I think the Bulls might pick him up to round out the roster. Another 3 point threat...

raptorfan_dr07
07-23-2010, 11:11 PM
I think this would be great for them. Having another big to throw at Dwight Howard or to clog the lane when Lebron/Wade drive is never a bad thing. Especially one like Shaq, who in limited minutes, can still be a productive player. I would have liked to see him go somewhere like Miami/San Antonio/Denver, as I believe they have a higher need for him than say Boston, but the Celtics would be cool. Only thing is what I've been saying for a while now, I'm not sure that Shaq would be open to taking a bench role. I can't see his ego allowing him to do that. If he does, and that's a big IF, he can really help some teams out there looking for a veteran big who can still rebound and take up space and occasionally score.

Se
07-23-2010, 11:12 PM
What number would he wear?

34 - Pierce (number with Lakers)
32 - McHale (number with Magic, Heat and Suns)
33 - Bird (number with Cavs, LSU and High School)
13 - (USA) Looks like the best bet.

west
07-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Get it done please!!!!!!:eek: :bowdown:

Rowe
07-23-2010, 11:16 PM
[QUOTE=Se

Rowe
07-23-2010, 11:17 PM
"Can I play here?"

Miami: "No."

"Can I play here?"

Lakers: "No."

"Can I play here?"

Celtics: (to be continued)

Good lord shaq just retire with some dignity. This last second ring chasing is getting sad

Shaq has dignity because at least he can say he doesn't suck. How many big men are still as good as Shaq at his age?

DKLaker
07-23-2010, 11:23 PM
Shaq or no Shaq.......doesn't matter.

zac
I really hope your joking. He's the only offensive big man they have. Although he's not the best at defense, he has the ability to score at such a higher level than any of the other big men and is really athletic and high energy for his size.

AK47DR91
This would great. We don't really have any true C besides Perkins and who knows how he'll be after his injury.

Shaq can still play good at 25 minutes a game. Or every other game.

He was the only Cavs that was consistent against Boston in the playoff this past season.

BlueandGold
07-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Amazing pickup for the Celtics if it goes through.

BlueandGold
07-23-2010, 11:38 PM
I really hope your joking. He's the only offensive big man they have. Although he's not the best at defense, he has the ability to score at such a higher level than any of the other big men and is really athletic and high energy for his size.

Garnett?

zac
07-23-2010, 11:51 PM
Garnett?
I wasn't talking about him because he's guaranteed the minutes and the starting job unless he gets hurt again.

Jasper
07-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Bucks need a backup to distressed elbow Bogut

He could add to his resume - title champ in Milwaukee like best center in bball Kareem :confusedshrug:

Pull your pants up Shaq - chug a few brews and join the beer drinking capital of the world :cheers:

Bigsmoke
07-24-2010, 12:06 AM
whats with the Celtics and old players?

Shaq is just gonna get slower and Celtics fans will regret getting him.

dbugz
07-24-2010, 12:08 AM
whats with the Celtics and old players?

Shaq is just gonna get slower and Celtics fans will regret getting him.

Salary cap. They can only afford to get vets minimum or they can sign a young sucky d-leaguer that would probably end up getting no PT at all.

SinJackal
07-24-2010, 12:09 AM
I guess dude wants a 5th ring really badly. I don't think Boston gets back to the finals though. It's going to be Magic/Heat/Bulls in there the next 3-5 years. Throw in NY if they land Paul/Melo. Celtics' run is done now. An ECF appearance would be overachievement for them this next season. imo.

nosurrender
07-24-2010, 12:10 AM
I guess dude wants a 5th ring really badly. I don't think Boston gets back to the finals though. It's going to be Magic/Heat/Bulls in there the next 3-5 years. Throw in NY if they land Paul/Melo. Celtics' run is done now. An ECF appearance would be overachievement for them this next season. imo.

lol thats what yall said last yr

Bigsmoke
07-24-2010, 12:11 AM
haha looks like Paul Pierce will get his wish... 8 years later

IGN: If money was no object, and you could have any current player in the league playing for the Celtics, who would it be?

PP: Oh, you know who it is.

IGN: Oh I know.

PP: Who is it? The other number 34, that's right.

IGN: Would you make Shaq change his number?

PP: Oh man, you can't make the big fellah change his number. He might want to beat me up. you can't punk the big fellah.

IGN: What's it like playing against Shaq?

PP: Man, you just hope he don't feel like playing that day. Hope he don't get mad. Because he can score whenever he wants. You don't want to get him mad and you don't want to talk trash to him.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/372/372072p1.html

dbugz
07-24-2010, 12:14 AM

KG's contract will be expiring in about two years if I'm not mistaken. By that time Cs would be able to sign another max player. Who knows if the Cs would be able to get Melo that time :pimp: and then KG will sign for vets minimum while Rondo is going to improve every year. We'll back on track :rockon:

SinJackal
07-24-2010, 12:25 AM
lol thats what yall said last yr

I didn't say that last year. Last year I said the east is so incredibly weak, I wouldn't be surprised if any of the top 4 teams made it to the finals. Regardless of who did, they had no shot of winning anyway.

The ease was a joke last year dude. Oops, did I say "ease"? I meant east.

This year, there are too many teams who are younger and just as good or better than the Celtics now. With a KG clearly in decline, an Allen who is becoming increasinly unreliable, and a Pierce who's slowed down a little too (not too much). . .it's hard to assume they'll be back that easily.

AK47DR91
07-24-2010, 12:25 AM

We were one bad substitution management by Doc from winning a 2nd title in 3 years this past season.

I say we still have 1 more GREAT/GOOD season with the Big 3 for a last hurrah.

ReturnofJPR
07-24-2010, 12:26 AM
Man this thread is blowing up! Whoever created it, created a buzz saw through ISH tonight.

Just get Shaq signed with Boston already. He has VERY limited options. Make it happen Shaq, KNOW YOUR ROLE if you smell what I am cookin'!

indiefan24
07-24-2010, 12:29 AM

if only this was 2004, the celtics would be unstoppable

Warners0
07-24-2010, 12:54 AM
Why do people think Perkins won't be the same? He is not a high flyer. All he does is rebound, and play great low post defense.

There is no way Shaq gets playing time when he comes back. Perkins Shaq J O'neal and Big Baby.

Shaq will be playing the Shelden Williams role.

sonic5abi
07-24-2010, 12:57 AM
he needs to just face it, he will never win another ring:violin:

flipogb
07-24-2010, 12:57 AM
Why do people think Perkins won't be the same? He is not a high flyer. All he does is rebound, and play great low post defense.

There is no way Shaq gets playing time when he comes back. Perkins Shaq J O'neal and Big Baby.

that basically means NO for Shaq to Celtics

Mr. Jabbar
07-24-2010, 12:58 AM
This could be Shaqs last and best attempt to erase any good memories from laker fans :violin:

miller-time
07-24-2010, 01:00 AM
if only this was 2004, the celtics would be unstoppable

lol, kg, pierce, allen, sheed, jermaine and a possible shaq. that is a damn all star team.

in 2004 an 18 year old rondo would actually be the weakest element of the team.

dbugz
07-24-2010, 01:02 AM

I don't remember people saying here that Perkins won't be the same anymore, Perk will be out for about 3 months and when he come back I'm pretty sure Doc will be careful to limit his MPG so he'll be 100% healthy comes playoffs. The Cs will probably need another big man to back JO at the C while he's out.

Blackisbig
07-24-2010, 01:04 AM
Good fit for Shaq and the C's IMO. He was the Cavs' second best player in the playoffs, and that's after he came in completely cold due to the thumb injury. He's not a choker like Jermaine, and I'd feel more comfortable if I was the Celtics giving Shaq backup minutes in the playoffs over a dude who has never done shit in the postseason.

RajonKGcelts
07-24-2010, 01:12 AM
Good fit, and it will piss alot of laker fans off, so i love it.:oldlol:

AK47DR91
07-24-2010, 01:12 AM
This could be Shaqs last and best attempt to erase any good memories from laker fans :violin:

Why do you guys hate him so much? Seems like 90+% of Laker fans hate the guy.

Even Manny still has fans here in Boston/New England area.

Mr. Jabbar
07-24-2010, 01:21 AM
Why do you guys hate him so much? Seems like 90+% of Laker fans hate the guy.

Even Manny still has fans here in Boston/New England area.

Well, in my case, I absolutely loved him for his game and the amusing factor of his personality back in the 3peat. But the whole ego fight with kobe which ended up with the biggest upset in nba history (detroit finals) was hard to swallow. After he was gone, regardless of whos fault was it, it seemed like kobe was the one most identified with the Lakers, and Shaq chasing around rings through the whole league didn't help his case either. "The ring for the king" was the epitome.

That kind of sums it up for me.

hawkfan
07-24-2010, 01:24 AM
hawkfan Trade Scenario:

Hawks get

Shaquille O'Neal (2 years, $8 million)

Cavs get

Jeff Teague
Mo Evans (expirer)

The Hawks get Shaq to help solidify the front court, while keeping Marvin Williams. Jordan Crawford takes over Mo's minutes, and Jamal Crawford gets more run at point guard with Teague gone.

The Cavs get a young player in Teague and a solid veteran in Mo Evans.

ReturnofJPR
07-24-2010, 01:25 AM
hawkfan Trade Scenario:

Hawks get

Shaquille O'Neal (2 years, $8 million)

Cavs get

Jeff Teague
Mo Evans (expirer)

The Hawks get Shaq to help solidify the front court, while keeping Marvin Williams. Jordan Crawford takes over Mo's minutes, and Jamal Crawford gets more run at point guard with Teague gone.

The Cavs get a young player in Teague and a solid veteran in Mo Evans.

Like Joey said...WHOA!

That's str8 Gold, Fort Knox style. Get 'er done player.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
07-24-2010, 02:22 AM

I am not trying to be smart...but seriously when did u started to watch the nba??

during his Indiana days he was one of the top PF's in the league...20/10..last couple of years..he is gone to hell....I used to love the defensive minded Pacers and then hell broke after the palace brawl

AK47DR91
07-24-2010, 02:23 AM
Well, in my case, I absolutely loved him for his game and the amusing factor of his personality back in the 3peat. But the whole ego fight with kobe which ended up with the biggest upset in nba history (detroit finals) was hard to swallow. After he was gone, regardless of whos fault was it, it seemed like kobe was the one most identified with the Lakers, and Shaq chasing around rings through the whole league didn't help his case either. "The ring for the king" was the epitome.

That kind of sums it up for me.

I see.

In fairness to Shaq, he's been traded in all of his transfers after LA stint though (I think). 2010 will be his 1st free agent dealing since 1996. I'm not sure if the "ring-chasing" label is fair since he's just being traded to contention teams.

I think Kobe's selfish performance and Detroit's defense was the main reason why Lakers lost that Finals series. Kobe performed like he was trying to win the Finals MVP than the championship. Based on what I saw on TV anyways, I wasn't really aware of the Kobe-Shaq beef being major that much.

wally_world
07-24-2010, 04:38 AM
Perk / Shaq
KG / JO / Baby

awww what happens to sheldor? :oldlol:

BlackWhiteGreen
07-24-2010, 04:56 AM
Perk / Shaq
KG / JO / Baby

He signs with Dallas?
:confusedshrug:

HighFlyer23
07-24-2010, 05:20 AM
he should makeup with wade and go back to miami and molest kobe in the finals :lol

Se
07-24-2010, 05:24 AM

Sheldon? He signed with Denver.

BlackWhiteGreen
07-24-2010, 06:02 AM
[QUOTE=Se

nerds
07-24-2010, 06:16 AM
shaq signing with the celtics is a no brainer

perkins has screwed up his knee, it will take him at least 12 months to recover (they always do)...

i would love nothing more than shaq becoming a celtic, then the celtics meeting the heat in the playoff, and shaq proving unquestionably that Chris Bosh is the RuPaul of Big Men in the NBA!

Harison
07-24-2010, 06:33 AM
shaq signing with the celtics is a no brainer

perkins has screwed up his knee, it will take him at least 12 months to recover (they always do)...

Thats what I'm thinking, if Perkins even comes back next spring before Playoffs, he will be rusty as hell and still not 100% recovered. He hardly will be starting material, maybe only from desperation, and its assuming nothing goes wrong, which could postpone his return even further.

In Celtics place I would have killed for someone like David Lee, but I guess it was impossible for Ainge to get him, therefore JO is not THAT bad choice for cheap, maybe Garnett will force him to grow some balls too :oldlol: But JO wont help Celtics much by himself, he is more back-up player than starter, so who is another possible center? Not many (if any) on the market, thats why Ainge should either get Shaq now or maybe he can pull some nice trade during the season for someone better.

Fact is, Celtics absolutely need another center, the only question is - who?

BlackWhiteGreen
07-24-2010, 06:36 AM
Fact is, Celtics absolutely need another center, the only question is - who?

I'm not sure who, MAYBE Okafor, for Sheed's contract (assuming we sign Shaq).

ProfessorMurder
07-24-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm not sure who, MAYBE Okafor, for Sheed's contract (assuming we sign Shaq).

NO I do not want Okafor. I'd much rather have Shaq/JO/KG/Baby, and use Sheed's deal for a Pierce back up.

JustinJDW
07-24-2010, 04:05 PM
Screw Boston, come to San Antonio Shaq. You and Timmy can retire together as the greatest big man ever in 20 years.

Starters
C: Shaquille O'Neal
PF: Tim Duncan
SF: Richard Jefferson
SG: George Hill
PG: Tony Parker

Bench
- Manu Ginobili
- Tiago Splitter
- Dejuan Blair
- James Anderson

:rockon:

Steve212
07-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Shaq would kill the chemistry of the C's...

Sign him!

ShaqAttack3234
07-24-2010, 05:28 PM
Shaq in a reserve role would be sad to see, I'd much rather see him retire. Miami should sign him though, he'd easily be their best center, he could be happy and start and he'd make up for Bosh's lack of physicality and give them a low post presence while taking some of the rebounding pressure off of Bosh. He'd also give them championship experience. LA doesn't really need him, but he'd probably be an improvement over Bynum.

indiefan24
07-24-2010, 05:46 PM
In fairness to Shaq, he's been traded in all of his transfers after LA stint though (I think).

I'm pretty sure he's pushed for all those trades though...he definitely wanted out of the Heat and he talked about going to the Cavs when he was still on the Suns.

game3524
07-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Shaq in a reserve role would be sad to see, I'd much rather see him retire. Miami should sign him though, he'd easily be their best center, he could be happy and start and he'd make up for Bosh's lack of physicality and give them a low post presence while taking some of the rebounding pressure off of Bosh. He'd also give them championship experience. LA doesn't really need him, but he'd probably be an improvement over Bynum.

:roll:

Take the homer shades off, Bynum at this point is better then Shaq.

RazorBaLade
07-24-2010, 05:52 PM

acting like bynum isnt always injured?

game3524
07-24-2010, 05:56 PM
acting like bynum isnt always injured?

I am not, but I will take Bynum and his injuries today over Shaq now, Shaq is done as a starter these days.

JohnnySic
07-24-2010, 09:31 PM
I like it. The C's need size and Shaq brings that if nothing else. Now, if he could only drop a few pounds...

I wish he'd sign for the minimum. Then they could trade the 'Sheed contract for Shane Battier or someone like that. Not happening though...

Sharmer
07-24-2010, 09:33 PM

well if boston had shaq last year they wouldn't got killed on the boards- shaq is a much bigger better presence inside then Glen Davies. I hope Celtics get shaq because if they get past Miami and make the NBA finals I like the match up with anyone in the West with Shaq, JO and KG as the bigs.

GiveItToBurrito
07-24-2010, 10:46 PM
They need scoring, Shaq will be able to establish post position and flip in hook shots until he's 70. They'll need to play him with something of a stretch 4, though, since his turnovers kill teams.

Blackisbig
07-24-2010, 10:48 PM
They need scoring, Shaq will be able to establish post position and flip in hook shots until he's 70. They'll need to play him with something of a stretch 4, though, since his turnovers kill teams.

KG and Davis are both able to hit the jumpshot consistently so I don't think that would be an issue regardless as to whether or not he's playing with the first or second unit.

ProfessorMurder
07-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Maybe Shaq will sign for the veteran's minimum and Sheed will come back.

Blackisbig
07-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Maybe Shaq will sign for the veteran's minimum and Sheed will come back.

I hope so. I'd root for that team to win it all. One last hurrah for two of my favorite players ever.

ShaqAttack3234
07-24-2010, 11:07 PM

Bynum averaged what? 9/7 in the playoffs last year and something like 6/4 in the 2009 playoffs? Didn't he average as many fouls as points in the '09 playoffs? And don't use injuries as an excuse because I never said Shaq is still better than a healthy Bynum(though he was in 2009 even if not this year).

Shaq can still score at about the same rate Bynum does(better than an injured Bynum which is the Bynum we see half the time), he's much more physical and draws more fouls, he's a much better passer and he seems to still be a better rebounder per minute.

Actually, I believe Bynum would be better off the bench because being a black hole at times wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Shaq still outplays Bynum when they play.

Human Error
07-24-2010, 11:09 PM
JO lost majority of his mobility after a series of knee surgery, the Heat tried to put him at 4 at times but it didn't work. Assume that this is basically the same JO with more mileage on his knees, then sadly, playing 4 isn't an option for him though he's still as skilled as any power forward in the league.

And I'd love to see Shaq play for the Celtics. You can't have enough big guys, it remains to be seen whether his ego would allow him come off the bench but if it's only veteran's minimum that takes to sign Shaq, there's nothing to lose.

Shepseskaf
07-25-2010, 08:17 AM
Problem is, he's a locker room cancer. Still, with a vet team like the Celts, it might not be as big of a concern.

JohnnySic
07-26-2010, 01:34 PM
http://www.nesn.com/2010/07/shaquille-oneal-continues-to-express-interest-in-becoming-boston-celtic.html

BallsOut
07-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Boston would be retarded to sign Shaq. Shaq is only useful for one purpose: stopping Howard. They already beat the Magic last year because they have a Howard stopper of their own in Perkins.

Boston needs 1 and ONLY one type of player right now. A defensive stopper to fill the void that Tony Allen left behind. If they're really trying to keep the core together for another 1 or 2 year run, I say call New Orleans GM NOW and discuss a sign and trade for James Posey. He only has 2 years at about 6 mill each year on his contract remaining, and we already know what he is capable of doing to the likes of Lebron/Kobe.

If Boston wants to have a legit shot at the title, they need to spend their efforts on someone like a James Posey, not Shaq.

ProfessorMurder
07-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Boston would be retarded to sign Shaq. Shaq is only useful for one purpose: stopping Howard. They already beat the Magic last year because they have a Howard stopper of their own in Perkins.

Boston needs 1 and ONLY one type of player right now. A defensive stopper to fill the void that Tony Allen left behind. If they're really trying to keep the core together for another 1 or 2 year run, I say call New Orleans GM NOW and discuss a sign and trade for James Posey. He only has 2 years at about 6 mill each year on his contract remaining, and we already know what he is capable of doing to the likes of Lebron/Kobe.

If Boston wants to have a legit shot at the title, they need to spend their efforts on someone like a James Posey, not Shaq.

I don't know if you heard, but Perk is not playing until like February at the earliest. The C's need bigs.

BallsOut
07-26-2010, 03:42 PM
I don't know if you heard, but Perk is not playing until like February at the earliest. The C's need bigs.

Oh yeah. I forgot. In that case for the minimum it would be okay. They still need to address the defensive stopper position though. Any chance they can trade Rasheed Wallace for James Posey since he's retiring anyway?

Andrei89
07-26-2010, 03:43 PM

Watch the games kid before u talk nonesense

22 ppg 11 rpg and 3 bpg

do you really find perk a howard stopper?

howard wasn't the reason the magic lost

Kurosawa0
07-26-2010, 03:44 PM
I argued that Shaq should've retired after the Heat won in 2006. I still stand by that.

BallsOut
07-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Watch the games kid before u talk nonesense

22 ppg 11 rpg and 3 bpg

do you really find perk a howard stopper?

howard wasn't the reason the magic lost

Yes. Check turnovers and FG%. Also check how many of those points came from FTs. If Howard dominated, they would've won. There's no way in hell Howard ever dominates a guy like Perkins. To put that into perspective, Dwight can easily drop 30+/15+ on anyone on the current Heat squad.

JohnnySic
07-26-2010, 03:58 PM
The Celtics were outsized vs LA, even with Perkins/KG/'Sheed. I was not happy about seeing a one-legged Bynum reaching over Big Baby and grabbing boards, but as they say you cant teach 7'+.

Shaq may be old and immobile, but he's BIG - that's his value. He can still play 20 minutes, grab a few boards, clog the lanes.

And unlike Perkins, Shaq's hands aren't made of granite. He can catch those quick passes from Rondo and convert under the basket. And he can throw in a little baby hook here and there.

RajonKGcelts
07-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Good post Johnny. Anyone have an update on this story? Are we working to get a deal with him or what?