Ndudi Ebi
Malik Hairston
Robert Swift
Gerald Green
Javaris Crittenton
Bill Walker
Telfair (I agree)
BJ Mullens

Those were all top 10 guys coming out of HS.

FormerSunsFan
07-25-2010, 12:56 AM
Harrison Barnes

TheGame414
07-25-2010, 01:48 AM
Greg Paulus
Rick Rickert
Josh McRoberts
Sebastian Telfair
Shavlik Randolph
Brian Zoubek

There's a few to start off with . . .
Such a weird, stupid list.

Where to start with this?

First off, Rick Rickert? He was a pretty good college player who made a mistake in coming out after his sophomore year. He was Big Ten Freshman of the Year and averaged over 15 ppg for two seasons. There's a difference between making a mistake in coming out too early and being one of the most overrated recruits of all time. What an incredibly odd choice. How about looking just a few spots down from where he was ranked in the 2001 RSCI: Carlos Hurt and Jonathan Hargett, a couple of point guards who received a ton of hype that year and never did a thing.

Second, anyone who makes it to the NBA is more or less immediately disqualified from this discussion. That isn't to say that Randolph and McRoberts weren't overrated, but they're nowhere near any "most overrated all-time" list. OK, maybe Randolph. He did nothing.

Third, it's like you decided to rip on a bunch of overhyped white guys from Duke and threw in a couple more names just to make it seem less obvious. Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with ripping on overrated white guys from Duke. But if that's what you want to do, how about Chris Burgess? Paulus was certainly overrated but was a four-year starter. Zoubek was a very valuable member of a national champion and one of the three or four best rebounders in college basketball last year. McRoberts was pretty good as a sophomore and made it to the NBA.

Seriously, was this just thinly veiled Duke hate? Because there's no reason to name Paulus without naming someone like, say, Kelvin Torbert from Michigan State. He was the No. 2 player in the 2001 class and while he became a decent college player, he was never a full-time starter, never averaged 10 ppg and didn't come anywhere near making the NBA. Paulus wasn't even a Top 10 recruit by any major service. And Zoubek was only No. 25 in the 2006 RSCI.

Fourth, I think it's hard to gauge how "overrated" guys who skipped college were. How well a guy adjusts to being a professional as a teenager with no college experience and whether or not he was properly rated as a high school prospect are two different things.

brandonislegend
07-25-2010, 01:48 AM
Harrison Barnes

??? I don't get it.

O.J A 6'4Mamba
07-25-2010, 03:12 AM
Those guys were pretty much all great college players. How about:

Ndudi Ebi
Malik Hairston
Robert Swift
Gerald Green
Javaris Crittenton
Bill Walker
Telfair (I agree)
BJ Mullens

Bill Walker is easily one of them. The guy was the product of OJ Mayo. OJ made him look like a top 10 player in the country. I remember when they were #1 and #2 overall recruits in their class of 2007 in 2006. Then Oj maintained his #1 ranking where Walker fall to 8th. Then Mayo was the 3rd pick and runner up to rookie of the year, plays for Team USA, and was arguably the 2nd best player in today's Team USA showcase. Walker was a 2nd rounder who went to the D-League.

Da KO King
07-25-2010, 06:56 AM
LOL @ some of these names being mentioned.

Court Vision
07-25-2010, 08:21 AM
Lack of NBA success does not make someone an overrated college player. LOL @ some of these posts.

Telfair would have flourished under Pitino had he decided to attend. Same thing with Ebi at Arizona (he was headed to Zona, right?). Gerald Green, same thing and so on and so forth.

TheGame414
07-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Bill Walker is easily one of them. The guy was the product of OJ Mayo. OJ made him look like a top 10 player in the country. I remember when they were #1 and #2 overall recruits in their class of 2007 in 2006. Then Oj maintained his #1 ranking where Walker fall to 8th. Then Mayo was the 3rd pick and runner up to rookie of the year, plays for Team USA, and was arguably the 2nd best player in today's Team USA showcase. Walker was a 2nd rounder who went to the D-League.
This thread is getting dumber. And it started out really stupid.

Did Walker turn out to be the next Vince Carter like he was hyped as? No, but that sure as hell doesn't put him anywhere near the top of the list of overrated recruits. He was a pretty good college player, averaging 16.1 points and 6.3 rebounds in '07-'08 and fell out of lottery consideration because of a third knee injury. And he played the last 27 games in the NBA last year after spending most of the year in the D-League, averaging 12 ppg.

That makes him one of the most overrated recruits ever? Maybe if he'd been the No. 1 recruit in his class and was receiving LeBron-type hype, sure. But as you said yourself, he was barely a Top 10 recruit by the time he was a senior. Who cares what they were ranked when they were younger? If that's your logic, then you should've had Derrick Caracter instead. He was once the No. 1 prospect in the 2006 class, ahead of Oden and Durant. But picking him wouldn't let you verbally fellate O.J. Mayo by proxy, would it?

He was a good- but not great- college player and played in the NBA, thus normally negating him from consideration, but for a guy who was hyped similarly to LeBron several years before LeBron, for a guy who was supposed to be the next Jordan....how about Felipe Lopez? But that's the problem with this thread. How do you gauge how "overrated" a guy was as opposed to there simply being ridiculous expectations placed upon someone when they're still a kid?

boozehound
07-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Greg Paulus
Rick Rickert
Josh McRoberts
Sebastian Telfair
Shavlik Randolph
Brian Zoubek

There's a few to start off with . . .
so, you hate duke? All those cats were decent in college (except for randolph, who never really got a chance before he gave up).

Posterize246
07-25-2010, 02:54 PM
Well, Harrison Barnes is like a future bust in the making. Like when I first saw him play he had bust written all over him. Something was missing.

Kind of like the first time I saw Lebron play in High School. I wasn't moved at all. "Really, KING James," I said. To me, Lebron didn't have "IT." Something was missing. And for seven years I looked like a fool. But after "The Decision" I feel redeemed. He doesn't have "IT." But I digress...

Harrison Barnes just looks like a guy. He reminds me of Marvin Williams or even a Joe Smith, not special at all--not top recruits, not top 3 draft picks.

The UNC teams of the mid/late 90s had Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison. And Antawn Jamison was the prized recruit and leader of the team--the guy who got all the hype. But as it turned out, Vince Carter was the star.

He looked the part. Harrison doesn't look the part. Only time will tell, but I'm calling my shot right now.
should I delete this trash?

wang4three
07-25-2010, 03:17 PM
Please do.

TheGame414
07-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Court Vision
07-25-2010, 03:33 PM

Did Walker turn out to be the next Vince Carter like he was hyped as? No, but that sure as hell doesn't put him anywhere near the top of the list of overrated recruits. He was a pretty good college player, averaging 16.1 points and 6.3 rebounds in '07-'08 and fell out of lottery consideration because of a third knee injury. And he played the last 27 games in the NBA last year after spending most of the year in the D-League, averaging 12 ppg.

That makes him one of the most overrated recruits ever? Maybe if he'd been the No. 1 recruit in his class and was receiving LeBron-type hype, sure. But as you said yourself, he was barely a Top 10 recruit by the time he was a senior. Who cares what they were ranked when they were younger? If that's your logic, then you should've had Derrick Caracter instead. He was once the No. 1 prospect in the 2006 class, ahead of Oden and Durant. But picking him wouldn't let you verbally fellate O.J. Mayo by proxy, would it?

He was a good- but not great- college player and played in the NBA, thus normally negating him from consideration, but for a guy who was hyped similarly to LeBron several years before LeBron, for a guy who was supposed to be the next Jordan....how about Felipe Lopez? But that's the problem with this thread. How do you gauge how "overrated" a guy was as opposed to there simply being ridiculous expectations placed upon someone when they're still a kid?

Great post.

As far as Felipe Lopez goes, it's even hard to declare him a bust I suppose. Ridiculous expectations were placed on him (SI cover before playing a game is one) , but regardless, he was a 4 year Big East starter, while averaging 17/6/3, great college numbers.

It is pretty difficult to find a true college bust. So much BS goes into the HS rankings that you have to take it all with a grain of salt. Just because one website ranks someone #1, does not mean they are truly the best player in the country.

One guy I can think of is Jawann McClellan. He was top 20 in 2004, McD AA, but never even broke double digit PPG while at 'Zona.

AxionJaxion
07-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Such a weird, stupid list.

Your jealousy is sad.
First off, Rick Rickert? He was a pretty good college player who made a mistake in coming out after his sophomore year. He was Big Ten Freshman of the Year and averaged over 15 ppg for two seasons. There's a difference between making a mistake in coming out too early and being one of the most overrated recruits of all time. What an incredibly odd choice. How about looking just a few spots down from where he was ranked in the 2001 RSCI: Carlos Hurt and Jonathan Hargett, a couple of point guards who received a ton of hype that year and never did a thing.
Rick Rickert was portrayed by some as a combo of Kikki Vandeweghe and Larry Bird. Get your head out of your azz.

Second, anyone who makes it to the NBA is more or less immediately disqualified from this discussion. That isn't to say that Randolph and McRoberts weren't overrated, but they're nowhere near any "most overrated all-time" list. OK, maybe Randolph. He did nothing.

That's idiotic. McRoberts was a puss and Randolph flat sucked. Furthermore, it's not like they were playing against the best recruits in college, either. Those guys were going pro instead of enrolling at Ol' State U.
Third, it's like you decided to rip on a bunch of overhyped white guys from Duke and threw in a couple more names just to make it seem less obvious. Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with ripping on overrated white guys from Duke. But if that's what you want to do, how about Chris Burgess? Paulus was certainly overrated but was a four-year starter. Zoubek was a very valuable member of a national champion and one of the three or four best rebounders in college basketball last year. McRoberts was pretty good as a sophomore and made it to the NBA.

It had absolutely nothing to do with "white guys" or "Duke." Your injection of race into a topic in which it has no place is a sad indicator of your true colors. Those are the players who came to mind. I didn't want to list 20-30, so as to spark discussion and let others add names. It wasn't meant for an envious, zelotic blowhard like you to start a confrontation. I'm actually a fan of Duke and greatly respect coach K. Pure coincidence, I guess. Why couldn't you have simply added Burgess and the few others you mentioned earlier without trying to one-up me? I'll tell you why: jealousy. Paulus was the friggin' number 1 PG in the country by some folks. He was so flat terrible, K replaced him with an underclassman before the year was out.

Seriously, was this just thinly veiled Duke hate? Because there's no reason to name Paulus without naming someone like, say, Kelvin Torbert from Michigan State. He was the No. 2 player in the 2001 class and while he became a decent college player, he was never a full-time starter, never averaged 10 ppg and didn't come anywhere near making the NBA. Paulus wasn't even a Top 10 recruit by any major service. And Zoubek was only No. 25 in the 2006 RSCI.
Again, why not just add Tolbert? Why try to paint me as a Duke hater?

See bold, bonehead.

AxionJaxion
07-25-2010, 03:40 PM
so, you hate duke? All those cats were decent in college (except for randolph, who never really got a chance before he gave up).
Yeah, Sebastian Telfair was really decent at riding the pine for the Blazers.

AxionJaxion
07-25-2010, 03:43 PM

Ndudi Ebi
Malik Hairston
Robert Swift
Gerald Green
Javaris Crittenton
Bill Walker
Telfair (I agree)
BJ Mullens

Good list. Thanks for the contributions in lieu of saying guys like Greg Paulus and Shavlik Randolph didn't suck.

Billy Walker's injuries really delayed his arrival. He still has some time before I'd consider him a bust. B.J. Mullens has some more time, too.

AxionJaxion
07-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Billy's injuries made him look like a D-leaguer.

AxionJaxion
07-25-2010, 03:47 PM
And it started out really stupid.
Oh, the irony. Have fun losing to Izzo by double digits twice this year.

Court Vision
07-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Yeah, Sebastian Telfair was really decent at riding the pine for the Blazers.

NBA success has nothing to do with this topic.

AxionJaxion
07-25-2010, 03:50 PM
]. But picking him wouldn't let you verbally fellate O.J. Mayo by proxy, would it?

Ugghh, you and your big words. Quit using them; they make me feel bad, and they don't help your argument. You sound like I did when I was 18 and just got out of a debate class.

AxionJaxion
07-25-2010, 03:51 PM
NBA success has nothing to do with this topic.
Considering I'm the author of said topic, I'm pretty sure I know that.

You completely missed the point.

Court Vision
07-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Considering I'm the author of said topic, I'm pretty sure I know that.

You completely missed the point.

So what is the point? Duke players who you don't like and NBA players who didn't pan out?

AxionJaxion
07-25-2010, 04:14 PM
So what is the point? Duke players who you don't like and NBA players who didn't pan out?
Dear God.

Go read the post I made about Telfair and the quote I was replying too.

Put your friggin' thinkin cap on.

InspiredLebowski
07-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Mike Robinson, played at Purdue from 96-00. I have no idea where he was rated but he was a McDonald's AA (last one Purdue's had) that had a career line of 10/5/2 and only started maybe half of the games, even as a senior.

TheGame414
07-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Axion, you're lucky you were allowed to stick around after your first round of douchebaggery. This was a stupid thread that was poorly thought-out, and I responded at length more than once, explaining why.

If you continue to be a prick, your second tour of obnoxiousness will be cut very short.

Please tell me where Rickert was hyped as another Larry Bird. And even if he was, that's more of a case of idiots breathlessly heaping unrealistic expectations on a kid than him being "overrated." Again, he was a good college player who made a mistake in going pro too early.

And this stupid assertion that Josh McRoberts'- or anyone else's- performance in college is meaningless because a few guys went pro straight out of high school....you can't really believe that, can you? Yes, McRoberts was soft and received plenty of criticism for being so, but again, that's another case of a guy going pro too early. That doesn't make him one of the most overrated recruits ever. He'd have been an All-American had he stayed for his junior year.

This thread's done now. Stop being an ass.

AxionJaxion
07-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Axion, you're lucky you were allowed to stick around after your first round of douchebaggery. This was a stupid thread that was poorly thought-out, and I responded at length more than once, explaining why.

If you continue to be a prick, your second tour of obnoxiousness will be cut very short.

Please tell me where Rickert was hyped as another Larry Bird. And even if he was, that's more of a case of idiots breathlessly heaping unrealistic expectations on a kid than him being "overrated." Again, he was a good college player who made a mistake in going pro too early.

And this stupid assertion that Josh McRoberts'- or anyone else's- performance in college is meaningless because a few guys went pro straight out of high school....you can't really believe that, can you? Yes, McRoberts was soft and received plenty of criticism for being so, but again, that's another case of a guy going pro too early. That doesn't make him one of the most overrated recruits ever. He'd have been an All-American had he stayed for his junior year.
This thread's done now. Stop being an ass.

In the Valley of the Blind, the one-eyed man is king. All bigs worth their salt aren't in college past one year,and in the mid-00s they weren't even stepping foot on college courts.

Rick Rickert and Josh McRoberts were rated at or near the top of their class. Neither dominated the college game, both were soft as Hell, and neither made/has made an impact in the pros, thus they were egregiously overrated. As was Greg Paulus, Brian Zoubek, and a slew of others. In a few years, I'm fairly confident we'll be able to say the same about Jared Sullinger, while Perry Jones is playing in All Star games.

Fl
07-29-2010, 04:31 PM

Ndudi Ebi
Malik Hairston
Robert Swift
Gerald Green
Javaris Crittenton
Bill Walker
Telfair (I agree)
BJ Mullens

McRoberts, Paulus, and Randolph never turned out to be great college players. And keep in mind, McRoberts was the Gatorade High School Player of the Year.

And isn't this supposed to be a thread about overrated recruits for colleges? Not overrated guys who jumped from high school to the NBA?

For all his fanfare, Marvin Williams college career wasn't the greatest, but I bet it would have been if he stayed even one more year.
Taylor King, he hasn't done much of anything after playing in the McD's All-American game.
Vernon Macklin was supposed to be an absolute beast on any level, he's turned into an average to good university player, which isn't great considering he was supposed to be one of the next great bigs in the L.
DeAndre Jordan and B.J. Mullens never lived up to the hype in college.
Derrick Caracter, he was a huge disappointment at Louisville, probably one of the most talented bigs in his high school class.
Malik Hairston is probably the biggest disappointment, "I"m going to Carmelo-ize the Ducks".
Rudy Gay had a very unassuming career in university for all the hype attributed him.

Some that I got, remember, that's all based on their college career. Not what they did afterwards.

silverbax
08-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Wow, some people can't see anything past their rivals. Harrison Barnes? Really? I mean, I agree a LITTLE on Lebron...he's nowhere near as good a player as the media claims, but sheesh. Just because he's taking a free agent contract to go to Miami doesn't make him a bust.

As for a REAL bust, it would have to be someone that who was supposed to be all-world, take their college to a title (or two) and then either rode the bench or left school and were never heard from again.

Like...[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felipe_L%C3%B3pez_(basketball)"]Felipe L

darius15
08-09-2010, 12:36 AM
LOL at all the Duke names.:rolleyes:

Dolphin
08-12-2010, 11:38 AM
This thread had to have been made by a gradeschooler.:oldlol:

HisJoeness
08-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Mike frickin' Jones. :mad: :banghead:

TheGame414
08-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Did anyone mention Michigan's Jerod Ward? He came in with enormous hype as the No. 1 player in the nation shortly after the Fab Five. Never did anything, really. I guess he was a halfway decent player by the time he was a senior, and that's about it. In fact, that entire group that was supposed to be the second coming of the Fab Five- Maceo Baston, Maurice Taylor, and I wanna say Travis Conlan and Willie Mitchell- never did much.

They didn't totally suck as a group, but for a quintet that was supposed to keep Michigan in national title contention after the Fab Five left, they were very average.

Rose
08-12-2010, 07:45 PM

First name that came to my mind. Also Schea Cotton(sp) He was another guy who im 85% sure made an SI cover before a single college game.

dab0yech0
08-13-2010, 05:46 AM
Ray Young is one of the first names that come to mind. He was pretty hyped up going to UCLA and I don't think he ever averaged 10 PPG

TheGame414
08-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Ray Young's a good call, too.

Rowe
08-14-2010, 12:23 AM
First name that came to my mind. Also Schea Cotton(sp) He was another guy who im 85% sure made an SI cover before a single college game.

Ironically he is in the new issue of SLAM that just came out. The guy is now coaching.

Rowe
08-14-2010, 12:26 AM

I know. Mike Jones had to be the most frustrating guy I've seen play for Maryland, how in the world did he never improve.

He was/is a very good spot shooter and he was very athletic with an above average handle.

Rowe
08-14-2010, 12:30 AM
Ray Young's a good call, too.

Didn't he blow his knee out?

Rowe
08-14-2010, 12:34 AM
The #1 guy for me has to be Elijah Ingram.

Does anybody remember him?

The hype he received you would've thought he would've been a 1 & Done.

O.J A 6'4Mamba
08-14-2010, 02:31 AM

With time my friend with time. OJ averaged 21 ppg as a true freshman including a 37 point outburst on 3rd pick in the 2009 draft James Harden. He teams just wasn't very good. If he made it far in the tournament this wouldn't even be a debate. OJ is arguably and probably the best shooting guard in the world under 25 years old, Monta Ellis is the only one who is probably current better going into the season, but won't be after this season. He has yet to be the number 1 option on his team.

OJ within his first two seasons has put up 40 points on Chauncey Billups, 32 points on Brandon Roy, 32 points on Tracy McGrady, 32 points on Manu Ginobili, 28 points twice on Dwyane Wade, 25 points on Kobe Bryant. This is without being the number 1 option. Talent isn't the question with him, you can't do that to the best ball players in the world within your first two season unless your going to be a special nba player. I take it your a Rose fan and don't watch him alot, it is really all about getting enough touches. He is one of the most unused guards per possession in the league. If you aren't touching the ball there isn't much you can do statistically and he has still managed to do 18/4/3 and 3,000 points his first two seasons.

Kobe Bryant was deemed as the next Jordan coming out of high school, but couldn't even beat out Eddie Jones to start for the Lakers. Then average 7 ppg his rookie season.

OJ has all the tools to live up to his name and hype, once he leaves memphis in 2012 when contract expires and goes to a team without ball hogs his numbers will come. See Tracy Mcgrady in 2000 when he went to Orlando instead of playing with Vince Carter as a Raptor. He went from doing 15 ppg to 27 ppg after that switch of teams, skill never leaves a player.

You fans want every hyped player to make an immediate impact average 25 ppg with the first 2 or 3 seasons. It doesn't always work that way, some players take longer to reach their full potential, but when they do that's when the fun begins. Kobe wasn't really Kobe 2001 that's 5 NBA seasons it took. Then he didn't master his skills until 2003, that was his 7th year in the league.

Another overrated recruit had to have been Gerald Green. #1 SG in the 2005 class, projected as the better version of Vince Carter is now out of the NBA.

O.J A 6'4Mamba
08-14-2010, 03:09 AM
To add on.

A guy like Derrick Rose has been getting way more hype than his production, mainly because he plays for a big market and grew up around there, and has freakish athletism. He played well in a few playoff games as a rookie including the 36 points 11 assists games on the biggest stage so got more hype, respected same with Westbrook this year against the Lakers.

Rose was a 21/4/6 pg this past season, that's nothing special, talking elite terms, especially if you factor in that he had the largest usage rating per possession out of any other pg in the league. It was almost 6 points higher than OJ Mayo's, who in contrast was one of the most unused starting sgs per possession league. 3 ppg more on 3 more FGAs. 3 more assists per game one is a PG other is a SG.
Being the first option that Rose was I was expect prime Marbury nesque numbers like 24/4/9. Being the most used PG in the leauge possession wise. That's getting it done, even i'll hope on board that but 21/4/6 as a pg wake me up when there is some real production.

In 3 years when both Mayo and Rose are in their primes and number 1 options or ball dominator then we will see who is the better player and trust me on this the stats won't lie.

Rose
08-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Ironically he is in the new issue of SLAM that just came out. The guy is now coaching.

I totally didn't believe you till I looked it up. I want to read this article, can I find it online somewhere?

TheGame414
08-14-2010, 03:05 PM
With time my friend with time. OJ averaged 21 ppg as a true freshman including a 37 point outburst on 3rd pick in the 2009 draft James Harden. He teams just wasn't very good. If he made it far in the tournament this wouldn't even be a debate. OJ is arguably and probably the best shooting guard in the world under 25 years old, Monta Ellis is the only one who is probably current better going into the season, but won't be after this season. He has yet to be the number 1 option on his team.

OJ within his first two seasons has put up 40 points on Chauncey Billups, 32 points on Brandon Roy, 32 points on Tracy McGrady, 32 points on Manu Ginobili, 28 points twice on Dwyane Wade, 25 points on Kobe Bryant. This is without being the number 1 option. Talent isn't the question with him, you can't do that to the best ball players in the world within your first two season unless your going to be a special nba player. I take it your a Rose fan and don't watch him alot, it is really all about getting enough touches. He is one of the most unused guards per possession in the league. If you aren't touching the ball there isn't much you can do statistically and he has still managed to do 18/4/3 and 3,000 points his first two seasons.

Kobe Bryant was deemed as the next Jordan coming out of high school, but couldn't even beat out Eddie Jones to start for the Lakers. Then average 7 ppg his rookie season.

OJ has all the tools to live up to his name and hype, once he leaves memphis in 2012 when contract expires and goes to a team without ball hogs his numbers will come. See Tracy Mcgrady in 2000 when he went to Orlando instead of playing with Vince Carter as a Raptor. He went from doing 15 ppg to 27 ppg after that switch of teams, skill never leaves a player.

You fans want every hyped player to make an immediate impact average 25 ppg with the first 2 or 3 seasons. It doesn't always work that way, some players take longer to reach their full potential, but when they do that's when the fun begins. Kobe wasn't really Kobe 2001 that's 5 NBA seasons it took. Then he didn't master his skills until 2003, that was his 7th year in the league.

Another overrated recruit had to have been Gerald Green. #1 SG in the 2005 class, projected as the better version of Vince Carter is now out of the NBA.
Jesus Christ, what does this have to do with anything? How obsessed are you with Mayo? That response didn't even have anything to do with what you were responding to.

But if you want to think that O.J. Mayo is going to be as good as Derrick Rose, I'll let you sit around and wait for that.

Rowe
08-14-2010, 04:35 PM
I totally didn't believe you till I looked it up. I want to read this article, can I find it online somewhere?

Nah thats the ****ed up part about SLAM.

You probably have to buy it.

Rowe
08-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Gerald Green wasn't overrated.

Based on talent he should've been a #1 recruit. Those rankings dont account for basketball IQ.

Rose
08-14-2010, 09:10 PM
I found a guy commenting on the article said it was about this!

For example, the magazine profiled Schea Cotton, the once-upon-a-time prep phenom who was hyped by Sports Illustrated as a 15-year 0ld. These days, Cotton coaches a high school team in California, having never played in the NBA. The story gives you the facts and a few quotes, but never delves into the depths of Cotton

Roy Munson
08-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Jerod Ward and Schea Cotton were good ones.

How about Ousmane Cisse? He was in that same class as Chandler, Curry, and Kwame Brown. Looking back on it, his whole situation was very weird. He was hyped as this 6'9 manchild with amazing athletic gifts. He was injured for the postseason all-star games so I never got to see him play. Declared for the draft then was never heard from again. It was almost like he wasn't even a real person, if that makes sense.

Marvin Stone is another one. He was generally considered a top 10 player in his class. I actually saw him play against a small school from southern Illinois who's tallest guy was 6'5 and he looked absolutely horrible. I couldn't believe he was ranked as high as he was.

You could throw Lester Earl and Jaron Rush in there as well. They're also the players I usually bring up when people try to tell me that Roy Williams is squeaky clean in his recruiting tactics.

Posterize246
08-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Injuries messed him up but Jason Fraser at Villanova.

Rowe
08-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Jerod Ward and Schea Cotton were good ones.

How about Ousmane Cisse? He was in that same class as Chandler, Curry, and Kwame Brown. Looking back on it, his whole situation was very weird. He was hyped as this 6'9 manchild with amazing athletic gifts. He was injured for the postseason all-star games so I never got to see him play. Declared for the draft then was never heard from again. It was almost like he wasn't even a real person, if that makes sense.

Marvin Stone is another one. He was generally considered a top 10 player in his class. I actually saw him play against a small school from southern Illinois who's tallest guy was 6'5 and he looked absolutely horrible. I couldn't believe he was ranked as high as he was.

You could throw Lester Earl and Jaron Rush in there as well. They're also the players I usually bring up when people try to tell me that Roy Williams is squeaky clean in his recruiting tactics.

Marvin Stone died right? I might be wrong though. Or it may have been a different one.

Rush had drinking problems. It wasnt until a few years ago I heard about the story of when he was with Seattle and screwed his career at a team hotel.

Roy Munson
08-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Marvin Stone died right? I might be wrong though. Or it may have been a different one.

Rush had drinking problems. It wasnt until a few years ago I heard about the story of when he was with Seattle and screwed his career at a team hotel.

Yes, Stone died a few years ago. I had actually completely forgot about that until you mentioned it.

I was aware of Rush's drinking problems, but I'm not sure if I have the Seattle story straight. Is he the one that basically drank through his stay there and missed his workouts? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Roy Munson
08-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Just thought of another one. Jason Parker. He had trouble getting into UNC and I have no idea what happened to him afterward.

bballer
08-28-2010, 07:14 PM
a lot of duke players

Court Vision
08-29-2010, 12:31 AM
The #1 guy for me has to be Elijah Ingram.

Does anybody remember him?

The hype he received you would've thought he would've been a 1 & Done.

He wasn't THAT hyped. He was ranked around 25th if I remember correctly, and Foye probably should have been given the McD's AA nod over him. If he didn't play for St. Anthony's, he probably wouldn't have been an AA.

ukfan22
08-29-2010, 01:05 AM
Just thought of another one. Jason Parker. He had trouble getting into UNC and I have no idea what happened to him afterward.
He went to Kentucky, and was actually pretty damn good as a freshman. Before Midnight Madness the following year, he blew out his knee messing around in the locker room. Disciplinary problems followed and he never made it back to the court. Parker's injury was the catalyst for an extremely disappointing season for UK in 2001-02. They had a TON of talent, but ended up known as Team Turmoil.

TheGame414
08-29-2010, 03:30 PM
He went to Kentucky, and was actually pretty damn good as a freshman. Before Midnight Madness the following year, he blew out his knee messing around in the locker room. Disciplinary problems followed and he never made it back to the court. Parker's injury was the catalyst for an extremely disappointing season for UK in 2001-02. They had a TON of talent, but ended up known as Team Turmoil.
That Kentucky season did produce one of my favorite random moments ever, Tayshaun's five straight threes to start the game against UNC, with the last one being from about 35 feet out. That's gotta be about the loudest a college arena can be four minutes into a game.

Raider007
08-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Rick Rickert :rolleyes:

Rose
08-29-2010, 06:14 PM
That Kentucky season did produce one of my favorite random moments ever, Tayshaun's five straight threes to start the game against UNC, with the last one being from about 35 feet out. That's gotta be about the loudest a college arena can be four minutes into a game.

Dude I completely forgot about that!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ_8z9Zizek

ukfan22
08-29-2010, 09:40 PM

Yeah, but that was about the only thing good that happened. That team had, on one roster:
Tayshaun Prince
Keith Bogans
Gerald Fitch
Cliff Hawkins
Chuck Hayes
Erik Daniels
Marvin Stone
Jason Parker
Rashaad Carruth (Freshman McD's All American)
Marquis Estill

Most of those guys already were, or went on to become good to great college players. They ended up with 12 losses and a Sweet 16 loss to eventual champ Maryland, and I remember watching the game thinking they weren't even trying to win. One of the biggest wastes of talent in recent college basketball history, IMO.

TheGame414
08-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Illinois had a similar year in 2001-02...we were ranked No. 1 in the nation going into the year by the Sporting News somewhere between 2 and 5 by everyone else (I don't think too many people had us lower than No. 3, really).

The loss of Sergio McClain and Marcus Griffin from the previous season was way underestimated, and injuries piled up: Lucas Johnson was out for most of the year, Damir Krupalijia was out about half the year, and Frank Williams played through more pain than anyone realized. Robert Archibald did, too, but everyone knew he was banged up. They finished 26-9 and went to the Sweet 16, and were a Final Four-caliber team by tournaemnt time. But the injuries piled up and if they hadn't spent too much of January and February with their heads up their asses, they wouldn't have been stuck with a No. 4 seed and a regional semifinal match with Kansas.

So at least you're not alone in having championship asipriations leaving you disappointed in that particular season.

There's a terrific book about college basketball called "The Men of March" that I highly recommend. The author (I wanna say his name is Brian Curtis but I'm too lazy to look it up) interviewed hundreds of coaches and spent time around dozens of programs in the 2001-2002 season, but focused most of his time profiling Bill Self at Illinois, Steve Alford at Iowa, Steve Lavin at UCLA and Mike Brey at Notre Dame.

Incidentally, all of those programs except ND started the year as legit Final Four contenders and all had disappointing seasons (to varying degrees, at least; Illinois still ended up with a really good year, whereas Iowa completely collapsed, with UCLA somewhere in the middle with a terrible regular season followed by a strong NCAA tourney run).

InspiredLebowski
08-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Speaking of overrated recruits, Ater Majok's probably leaving UConn
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men/hc-ater-majok-0827,0,6574436.story

Things seem to be going south in Storrs in a hurry

FormerSunsFan
12-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Harrison Barnes

so far, so bad.

:pimp:

TennesseeFan
12-01-2010, 12:30 AM
Gerald Green wasn't overrated.

Based on talent he should've been a #1 recruit. Those rankings dont account for basketball IQ.

Exactly, BIQ isn't necessary in HS, and is developed in college.

parkespapa
12-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Some that played here:

Willie Kemp (top 25)
Darius Washington Jr. (top 5)
Anthony Rice (top 10)
Sylvester Ford (top 10)
Paris London (top 5)-top 5 name, anyway
Pierre Henderson-Niles (top 25)
Billy Richmond
Jimmy 'Snap' Hunter

Who mentioned Caracter? He turned out all right after he transfered, and he's now with the Lakers. How was he a bust??

And how was Telfair a bust?? You can't be a bust if you never played cbb, and as far as I know, he's still in the NBA.

Paulus was more of a bust as a football recruit.

McRoberts was certainly not a bust either. Hell, he made ESPN's top plays just two nights ago.

ILLsmak
12-03-2010, 04:35 AM
In the Valley of the Blind, the one-eyed man is king. All bigs worth their salt aren't in college past one year,and in the mid-00s they weren't even stepping foot on college courts.

Rick Rickert and Josh McRoberts were rated at or near the top of their class. Neither dominated the college game, both were soft as Hell, and neither made/has made an impact in the pros, thus they were egregiously overrated. As was Greg Paulus, Brian Zoubek, and a slew of others. In a few years, I'm fairly confident we'll be able to say the same about Jared Sullinger, while Perry Jones is playing in All Star games.

What are you talking about, in terms of college impact? A ton of bigs stay more than one year.

Are you saying someone coming in as a highly ranked prospect should be a one and done and that's what you're basing it on?

Isn't this the college and high school bball forum? You could have titled it some of the most overrated NBA prospects. If you look at what Sullinger is doing now, for instance, he is living up to the hype, I believe. Personally, I'd love to see Sullinger stay in college because he could be one of those guys that just tears it up. But I doubt he will.

And if you are rated as a top prospect and you stay in college does that mean you suck? Maybe you do it because you wanted to get something done (like win a NCAA... something not very many NBA players have done, truth be told.)

You are right about Duke players getting hyped unjustly, but that's life...

-Smak

bwg52
12-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Telfair wasn't overrated, he would have been great at Louisville. You can't grade players on what they ended up like in the NBA. I think he would be a starting pointguard (He starts on Minnesota until Flynn comes back, but thats minnesota) if he went to Lousiville

stridge
12-04-2010, 06:35 PM
telfair

he was the next great pg before he was even 16....seemed like SLAM had him on the cover hyping him every week

Metro L Gogh
12-26-2010, 03:48 PM
As an IU fan Sherron Wilkerson. More disappointing. Very athletic but turnover prone in the system.

"a lot of duke players"

Domzalski was dumb enough to sign with (stack McDonalds All Americans) Duke. He could've been a standout on the West Coast. But hey, he got a good education.

Sarcastic
01-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Felipe Lopez never lived up to the hype.

foutz
01-03-2011, 10:52 AM
listings of futore nba playors?

InspiredLebowski
01-04-2011, 07:40 PM
As an IU fan Sherron Wilkerson. More disappointing. Very athletic but turnover prone in the system.

"a lot of duke players"

Domzalski was dumb enough to sign with (stack McDonalds All Americans) Duke. He could've been a standout on the West Coast. But hey, he got a good education.Also didn't help that Wilkerson was a woman beater of course.

Naiseesog
01-13-2011, 10:24 PM
nfs wallpapers (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/336359/)|
ivnish wallpaper download
wallpapers nu (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/336379/)|
wallpapers forest
wallpapers diablo 3 (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/337682/)|
sexy girls wallpapers download

1280 800 wallpapers (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/336457/)|
wallpapers 1600x1200
wallpapers 960x800 (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/337705/)|
wallpapers 1366x768
wallpapers 1680x1050 (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/337710/)|
space wallpapers

assassins creed 2 wallpapers (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/338456/)|
wallpapers toshiba
nfl wallpapers (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/338591/)}
wallpapers pixelsu com
x wallpapers (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/337677/)|
light wallpapers

Naiseesog
01-13-2011, 10:25 PM
wallpapers ashley com (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/338333/)|
1650 wallpapers
wallpapers dogs (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/336366/)|
sony wallpapers
korogan wallpapers the best (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/338535/)|
honda accord wallpaper

suzuki wallpaper (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/338465/)|
assassins creed wallpapers
wallpapers abstraction (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/338448/)|
mortal kombat wallpapers
silvia saint wallpapers (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/336359/)|
totoro wallpaper

wallpapers sexy girls pack (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/337710/)|
automatic wallpaper changer en
kuroshitsuji wallpapers (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/337727/)|
wallpaper hd com
tuning cars wallpapers (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/336379/)|
wallpapers 1600x900

Naiseesog
01-13-2011, 10:27 PM
wallpapers iphone 4 (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/338399/)|
wallpapers 1920x1200 girls
automatic wallpaper changer 4.8 17 (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/338507/)|
vetton wallpapers v 1.58
blue wallpapers (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/338347/)|
beautiful hd wallpapers by buster

www best wallpaper com (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/336335/)|
wallpapers 2560x1600
exclusive collection of erotic wallpapers (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/338427/)|
download free wallpaper creator
wallpapers download free without registration (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/338460/)|
wallpapers worldnokia com

aion wallpapers (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/338478/)|
wallpapers forest
wallpapers windows xp (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/338542/)|
wallpapers china
league of legends wallpapers (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/336463/)|
dexter wallpaper

Naiseesog
01-13-2011, 10:27 PM
star wars wallpapers (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/336404/)|
a dreamy world wallpapers
bodybuilding wallpapers (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/338333/)|
hq wallpapers
wood wallpaper (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/338478/)|
wallpapers drums

wallpapers 800 480 (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/337682/)|
winter wallpapers
wallpapers 1360x768 (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/338502/)|
sexy hot wallpapers
wallpapers download free without registration (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/337727/)|
wallpaper hd com

wallpapers sonic (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/338303/)|
wallpapers nana
retina wallpapers (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/338413/)|
wallpapers money
hq hd wallpapers (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/337670/)|
wallpapers bashtel

Naiseesog
01-13-2011, 10:32 PM
wallpaper black download (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/338470/)|
wallpapers narod com
wallpapers pc's (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/337705/)|
wallpapers hd
jb wallpaper (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/336392/)|
wallpaper hi tech

beautiful wallpapers (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/337710/)|
nnm wallpapers
hentai wallpapers (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/338507/)|
apple wallpapers
download windows 7 wallpapers (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/337682/)|
wallpapers nature

wallpaper size (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/338542/)|
disney wallpapers
wallpaper girls download (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/338355/)|
cristiano ronaldo wallpaper
bionix wallpaper (http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/337665/)|
wallpapers design

GSW1984
01-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Not 10 but here is a few

James Lang- Should Have went to school wasnt a ready to dominate big man coming out of HS.

Olu Famutimi- 7th Ranked Player in 2003 never really achieved Stardom at Arkansas 8.7 PPG Average at Arkansas

Greg Paulus- Never became an elite Duke guard to follow in the Footsteps of the Likes of Jay Williams, Bobby Hurley and Johnny Dawkins he was average at best on several weak Duke Teams. Was a Highly Ranked Football Player coming out of High School. He is more known for being Dunked on in Spectacular fashion by Virginia Tech High Flyer Deron Washington on Separate occasions.

Bobby Frasor- Started his career as a Highly Touted recriut for UNC a coaches son. He started every game as a freshman but would eventually be overshadowed by Tywon Lawson and would never see major minutes at UNC ever again.

B.J. Mullens- This Ohio State big man came after 2 other Highly Recruited 1 and done Centers Oden and Koufas had but didnt put together the statistics that those 2 big men put up at Ohio St. Left after his Freshman year after only averaging 8.8 Pts and 4.7 Reb and got drafted to the NBA in 2009 where he hasnt seen much game action in the league.