PDA

View Full Version : Stars who will be forgotten in 20 years

Thethirdguy
07-25-2010, 12:44 AM
Not tryin to hijack L.kizzle's thread so I made my own.

(L.Kizzles thread: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184883)

So the question is: Who are the biggest 'star' players of today you think will be forgotten in 20-30 years from now?

SinJackal
07-25-2010, 12:47 AM
Melo. Dirk. Amar'e.

game3524
07-25-2010, 12:49 AM
McGrady

I disagree with Dirk, he has to be the most successful European born player in NBA history.

joyner82
07-25-2010, 12:49 AM
Melo is a good answer. He will be a lot like Bernard King. Dirk will be remembered due to being the first real european star.

ashbelly
07-25-2010, 12:50 AM
orange juice and mayonaise.

game3524
07-25-2010, 12:52 AM

Oh, I see what you did there.......

cotdt
07-25-2010, 12:56 AM
dwight howard

Nets fan 93
07-25-2010, 12:56 AM
Vince Carter

game3524
07-25-2010, 12:58 AM
Vince Carter

I don't see it, players we are going to forget are guys who were great but really didn't stand out that much. Vince was the leagues most popular player at one point, his dunks will live on. He is this generations Dominique Wilkins. Guys like Melo, T-Mac, Amare are guys we are going to forget.

LosBulls
07-25-2010, 12:59 AM
dwight howard
Are you serious?

Rondo,Boozer,Roy,and Adam Morrisson.

bucks_ole
07-25-2010, 01:01 AM
I don't think Carmelo will be, I can see him getting a title in his career still, while still putting up sick stats.

T-mac is one I want to say, Allen Iverson's impact on the game may be forgotten, Michael Redd(does he count? 26 ppg is pretty good), D-Will, Amare, Joe Johnson, Gasol will be one of those incredibly debated players where people where either argue him to be awesome or really shitty, Yao if he doesn't come back healthy, Brandon Roy potentially, Gilbert?

Sorry for the ramble. Some people I thought would be on the list.

FormerSunsFan
07-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Wade or Lebron. Definitely Bosh.

Logic being: who really talks about Pippen--other than to say he is underrated, which makes my point.

game3524
07-25-2010, 01:04 AM
I don't think Carmelo will be, I can see him getting a title in his career still, while still putting up sick stats.

T-mac is one I want to say, Allen Iverson's impact on the game may be forgotten, Michael Redd(does he count? 26 ppg is pretty good), D-Will, Amare, Joe Johnson, Gasol will be one of those incredibly debated players where people where either argue him to be awesome or really shitty, Yao if he doesn't come back healthy, Brandon Roy potentially, Gilbert?

Iverson won't be forgotten, he is a lighting rode and had a huge impact on the NBA and is the most unique player to ever suit up. Gasol will be remembered thanks to the championship Laker teams, everyone else though I agree with.

L.Kizzle
07-25-2010, 01:05 AM
Melo
Pierce

SinJackal
07-25-2010, 01:05 AM
Dunno. Dirk will never win anything. I don't think anyone here's going to remember him in 20 years. He'll be remembered well in Germany. . .but are we talking about "anywhere", or this country? Everyone's going to be remembered somewhere.

bucks_ole
07-25-2010, 01:08 AM
Iverson won't be forgotten, he is a lighting rode and had a huge impact on the NBA and is the most unique player to ever suit up. Gasol will be remembered thanks to the championship Laker teams, everyone else though I agree with.

I'm just thinking there are still gonna be the haters who say "Iverson was just a chucker, nothing else" and people who don't remember this Laker team in 10-15 years will completely underrate Gasol. Just my opinion though, shit, I'm no psychic or anything.

Mirjalovic
07-25-2010, 01:08 AM

Yao wont be forgotten. He is a skilled 7'6 footer,, its very rare.

Thethirdguy
07-25-2010, 01:10 AM
Forgot to add my own opinion

Im going with Stoudemire. That guy will easily be completely forgotten. I think Melo will at least get some rememberance from being a part of the 2008 olympic team. Maybe along the lines of chris mullin:lol

west
07-25-2010, 01:11 AM
Melo
Pierce
I disagree, he is part of the Big Three and the Finals MVP(against the Lakers most importantly), Lakers fans will remember him, easily one of the most hated figure in Lakers history.

game3524
07-25-2010, 01:11 AM
I'm just thinking there are still gonna be the haters who say "Iverson was just a chucker, nothing else" and people who don't remember this Laker team in 10-15 years will completely underrate Gasol. Just my opinion though, shit, I'm no psychic or anything.

True, but they will remember him, whether the memories are negative or posistive the guy has left his mark on the league. I think Gasol will be remembered when people discuss Kobe.

Batz
07-25-2010, 01:13 AM
Pierce.

ProfessorMurder
07-25-2010, 01:14 AM
Forgot to add my own opinion

Im going with Stoudemire. That guy will easily be completely forgotten. I think Melo will at least get some rememberance from being a part of the 2008 olympic team. Maybe along the lines of chris mullin:lol

Mullin's 88-89 season > Melo's best so far.

bagelred
07-25-2010, 01:15 AM
Danny Granger, Andre Iguodola, Antawn Jamison, Joe Johnson, Baron Davis,

usdmef9
07-25-2010, 01:18 AM

ding ding ding we have a winner

shadow
07-25-2010, 01:20 AM
Gasol will not be forgotten. He's a key part of a duo that has won 2 rings, and a chance for a few more on the way. I think guys who get forgotten are the ones who toiled but never won a ring. If you don't win than you need something to make you stand out from the crowd. If LeBron never wins he'll still be remembered simply for his obscene numbers and possibly the ego-maniacal off season we just "witnessed". AI probably for dominating despite his size & of course personality, Vince for his dunks and so on so forth.

In that sense Melo and McGrady are probably likely candidates. And while Dirk is the top euro player ever I think he'll just end up being eclipsed by Gasol due to rings. Although we might remember Dirk as an epic choker, the guy who won an MVP sitting at home (although this is not fair imo).

bagelred
07-25-2010, 01:21 AM
ding ding ding we have a winner

I was going to put Elton Brand, but then remembered he went #1 overall in draft. Hard to forget those guys.

Another: Al Jefferson

Blackisbig
07-25-2010, 01:23 AM
Brandon Roy
Danny Granger

Captain Kirk
07-25-2010, 01:24 AM

All them + Chris Paul, Amare, and Michael Redd. I say Paul because I actually forgot the dude existed all of last season. Basically all the players who are popular, yet either are always injured or rarely make the playoffs.

game3524
I was going to put Elton Brand, but then remembered he went #1 overall in draft. Hard to forget those guys.

:roll:

I just did, I thought Baron went first overall.

SCdac
I don't know about the current top-10 players (and those who haven't hit a plateau), but I think a player like, say, Shawn Marion will essentially be forgotten in a couple of decades, maybe even one decade. Not that he was a huge "star", but he was a 4 time All-Star. While not the best go-to guy or the smartest player, he had some damn good seasons in the 2000's production-wise for a 6'7 forward. Top-5 in steals from 03-07, lead the league twice. Almost lead the league in boards in 2005, only behind KG. His game was/is all-around effective (was a perennial #1 pick in fantasy basketball for a few years), but nothing about him really stood out other than his ultra-athleticism, crazy wingspan, and awkward shot. I doubt his name will pop up much at all in 20 years.

game3524
07-25-2010, 01:27 AM
I love the guy, but Webber is another guy who may be forgotten in this era. He has been overshadowed by Duncan, KG and Dirk for the last decade.

bagelred
07-25-2010, 01:28 AM
All them + Chris Paul, Amare, and Michael Redd. I say Paul because I actually forgot the dude existed all of last season. Basically all the players who are popular, yet either are always injured or rarely make the playoffs.

Michael Redd is a good one.

Chris Paul? He's going to be on the list of best PG's ever? Are you kidding?

And Amare Stoudemire is not going to be forgotten. Nash's pick and roll partner. All those deep Suns playoff runs. Plus he's not finished. Now he's on the Knicks, that will increase his memorability (is that a word?) right there.

So I have the list as:

Danny Granger
Baron Davis
Andre Iguodola
Antawn Jamison
Joe Johnson
Al Jefferson
Michael Redd
Elton Brand
Richard Jefferson
Jermaine O'Neal
Kevin Martin

west
07-25-2010, 01:30 AM
JO, Boozer, Arenas.

Kingsfans818
07-25-2010, 01:31 AM
biggest tragedy is going to be Kevin Garnett

bucks_ole
07-25-2010, 01:32 AM
um wut

bagelred
07-25-2010, 01:33 AM
JO, Boozer, Arenas.

Arenas will be remembered for his gun incident if nothing else.

Are JO and Boozer stars?

west
07-25-2010, 01:34 AM
Arenas will be remembered for his gun incident if nothing else.

Are JO and Boozer stars?
True....:lol

I consider JO was at one point, Boozer is a top PF....so i would say he is.:confusedshrug:

bagelred
07-25-2010, 01:36 AM
I have a better category.

Scrubs that will be remembered. That is going to be a fun list.

I'll start: Darko Milicic:lol

ProfessorMurder
07-25-2010, 01:36 AM
And Amare Stoudemire is not going to be forgotten. Nash's pick and roll partner. All those deep Suns playoff runs. Plus he's not finished. Now he's on the Knicks, that will increase his memorability (is that a word?) right there.

Wow you're already overrating Stoudemire before he plays one game as a Knick? He hasn't done anything spectacular to be remembered for.

Mr. Jabbar
07-25-2010, 01:37 AM
1) Melo
2) Bosh

gap

3) whoever else

ProfessorMurder
07-25-2010, 01:37 AM

Dumbest thing I've read today.

bagelred
07-25-2010, 01:38 AM
Wow you're already overrating Stoudemire before he plays one game as a Knick? He hasn't done anything spectacular to be remembered for.

He's on that top tier of guys. C'mon now......

west
07-25-2010, 01:40 AM
Scrubs that will be remembered. That is going to be a fun list.

I'll start: Darko Milicic:lol
What is the definition of "scrubs"?

ProfessorMurder
07-25-2010, 01:41 AM
He's on that top tier of guys. C'mon now......

What has he done?

5x all star
ROY
1 first team NBA
3 2nd team all NBA

No championships, no finals appearances, no MVPs... 21.4/8.9 career... Forgettable.

ashbelly
07-25-2010, 01:44 AM
Gasol can not be forgotten simply for how he turned around the lakers organisation. And the trade was ridiculous.

AK47DR91
07-25-2010, 01:47 AM
Melo
Pierce

Pierce is the biggest Celtics name in the last 20 years.
He'll be remembered for sure.

RazorBaLade
07-25-2010, 01:47 AM
Gasol can not be forgotten simply for how he turned around the lakers organisation. And the trade was ridiculous.

kys

SCdac
07-25-2010, 01:49 AM
Obviously the players who have "made the most history" will be remembered the most, whether it's statistical, or being the first to do something, or whatever. But yall have to keep in mind that society's abilities to record and recall events (particularly the NBA) has advanced pretty significantly, with online articles outnumbering printed ones, youtube clips, at home digital video recording, etc. A player like Nate Robinson might be remembered for much longer (because of his weird antics, etc) than he would have maybe back in the 70's where alot of his actions would go unrecorded. But then again for all I know, being flooded with so much easy access to information only hurts our collective memories.

ProfessorMurder
07-25-2010, 02:06 AM
Obviously the players who have "made the most history" will be remembered the most, whether it's statistical, or being the first to do something, or whatever. But yall have to keep in mind that society's abilities to record and recall events (particularly the NBA) has advanced pretty significantly, with online articles outnumbering printed ones, youtube clips, at home digital video recording, etc. A player like Nate Robinson might be remembered for much longer (because of his weird antics, etc) than he would have maybe back in the 70's where alot of his actions would go unrecorded. But then again for all I know, being flooded with so much easy access to information only hurts our collective memories.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q225/kennerguy66/nate_robinson.gif

FCN
07-25-2010, 02:08 AM
Deron Williams
Brandon Roy

Lebron23
07-25-2010, 02:13 AM
Gerald Wallace

noob cake
07-25-2010, 02:14 AM
TMac will not be forgotten. He has half a generation of fans.

The correct answer: Melo, Roy, Paul

DuMa
07-25-2010, 02:29 AM
Rudy Gay. although a very explosive and solid player now... but coming out of UConn i thought this kid had loads of potential. a potential to be the next TMac but quickly Durant snatched up the spotlight and became a better version of what Rudy Gay will ever become. so soon we will forget Rudy Gay ever existed because he plays for the podunk team of Memphis.

and sadly, i think we'll forget Steve Nash in 20 years. MVPs will stand, but the fact that he probably wont ever win a championship makes him forgettable.

Mr. Jabbar
07-25-2010, 03:13 AM
Rudy Gay. although a very explosive and solid player now... but coming out of UConn i thought this kid had loads of potential. a potential to be the next TMac but quickly Durant snatched up the spotlight and became a better version of what Rudy Gay will ever become. so soon we will forget Rudy Gay ever existed because he plays for the podunk team of Memphis.

and sadly, i think we'll forget Steve Nash in 20 years. MVPs will stand, but the fact that he probably wont ever win a championship makes him forgettable.

wrong

Bandito
07-25-2010, 03:28 AM

Logic being: who really talks about Pippen--other than to say he is underrated, which makes my point.
Lebron maybe but Wade? No ****ing Way. The only reason Pippen is mentioned is because of MJ. I think Joe Johnson will be forgotten.

Lebron23
07-25-2010, 03:35 AM
Lebron maybe but Wade? No ****ing Way. The only reason Pippen is mentioned is because of MJ. I think Joe Johnson will be forgotten.

What an idiot. How can anyone forget a 2x NBA MVP, and former NBA Scoring Champion?

If the Heat destroy the Lakers in the NBA Finals. The Heat Big three would never be forgotten because they retire Jackson and Bryant.

Mr. Jabbar
07-25-2010, 03:40 AM
What an idiot. How can anyone forget a 2x NBA MVP, and former NBA Scoring Champion?

If the Heat destroy the Lakers in the NBA Finals. The Heat Big three would never be forgotten because they retire Jackson and Bryant.

The Heat big 3 will always be remembered for taking the easy path to a ring, wether they get it or not, legacy is tainted. Real talks.

Lebron23
07-25-2010, 03:43 AM
The Heat big 3 will always be remembered for taking the easy path to a ring, wether they get it or not, legacy is tainted. Real talks.

It's not easy to win an NBA title. The Heat have Wade, Bron, and Bosh, but look at their bench.

The Heat role players needs to contribute in the regular season and playoffs.

Who's going to guard Gasol and Howard?

Mr. Jabbar
07-25-2010, 03:47 AM
It's not easy to win an NBA title. The Heat have Wade, Bron, and Bosh, but look at their bench.

The Heat role players needs to contribute in the regular season and playoffs.

Who's going to guard Gasol and Howard?

I know its gonna be hard, but don't expect any fan or media mercy if they fail at getting the ring, the hype of those 3 getting together has been toooooooo much.

Manute for Ever!
07-25-2010, 04:10 AM
Josh Smith
Manu Ginobili

AK47DR91
07-25-2010, 04:13 AM
Joe Smith and Glen Robinson already forgotten.

Lebron23
07-25-2010, 04:15 AM
Joe Smith and Glen Robinson already forgotten.

:lol :lol :lol

FormerSunsFan
07-25-2010, 04:27 AM

You might be right, but fans are fickle. No matter what happens, one of them dudes (Wade/Lebron) legacies is taking a backseat. Moses Malone has more mvps than Lebron and I just saw a thread saying he is underrated.:confusedshrug:

Joshumitsu
07-25-2010, 04:38 AM
Brandon Roy might be forgotten. Not many people know who he is.

He might win games and rings but he's not flashy.

Probably a Bernard King legacy. Very good player but forgotten over the years.

Lebron23
07-25-2010, 04:41 AM
You might be right, but fans are fickle. No matter what happens, one of them dudes (Wade/Lebron) legacies is taking a backseat. Moses Malone has more mvps than Lebron and I just saw a thread saying he is underrated.:confusedshrug:

LeBron has the 2nd highest ceiling jersey in the NBA. He's one of the most popular players in the Internet Era. Malone was forgotten because he played in the 1980's

Collie
07-25-2010, 04:52 AM
Gus Williams
Walter Davis
Jim Paxson
Otis Birdsong
Reggie Theus
Andrew Toney
Kelly Tripuka
Fat Lever
Norm Nixon

C'mon guys.

Really? I mean really? Do you really think someone like Carmelo or Pierce will be placed on the level of the guys I quoted from L.Kizzle's thread? I bet 90% of you don't even know who Otis Birdsong is, but I'm guessing 70-80%% know who Bernard King is, and about 95% know who Dominique Wilkins is. Guys like Carmelo and Bosh are on track to be on these guys levels, without even having won anything yet.

When I think stars from the current era who will be forgotten, I think of guys like David Lee, Steve Francis, Andre Iguadala. Good players, but not exceptional ones. Carmelo, Bosh, Pierce, -> these are your Clyde Drexlers, your Patrick Ewings of this era.

FormerSunsFan
07-25-2010, 05:12 AM
Malone was forgotten because he played in the 1980's

Magic? Bird? Isiah, even.

The Sixers were also champions in the 80s and I think that history has shown that Dr. J's name has resonated more so than Malone's. I think people in general--as well as the people of Philadelphia--identify more with him as the face of that championship and those early 80s teams. He was even in the movie "Philadelphia" (cameo) with Tom Hanks, right? Moses on the other hand...

I think the fact that Moses came to Dr. J's town can't be ignored. I don't know what's going to happen, but I believe that either Wade or Lebron's legacy will take a back seat.

O.J A 6'4Mamba
07-25-2010, 05:15 AM

Future HOFers are never forgotten in this day and age.
and lol in trying to put him down, you actually gave him a compliment. Title says "Stars", so you basically just admitted he was going to be a "star"

The truth hurts.
Me>You

Manute for Ever!
07-25-2010, 05:18 AM
Future HOFers are never forgotten in this day and age.

...Or the fact that you won't let us forget him.

Slam13
07-25-2010, 05:19 AM
To the casual fan like me, the only player's of this generation that I will probably remember are:

Kobe Bryant
Shaquille O'Neal
Kevin Garnett
Dirk Nowitzki
Tim Duncan, possibly
Lebron James, maybe

And that's about it really.

I probably won't remember other stars like:

Paul Pierce
Carmelo Anthony
Dwayne Wade
Chris Bosh
Amare stoudemire

etc, etc....

If I don't continue to keep myself updated with basketball, 20 years from now the only player's that I could probably name from the top of my head are:

Michael Jordan
Kobe Bryant
Shaquille O'Neal
Magic Johnson
Larry Bird
Wilt Chamberlain

That is really it, those are the most memorable players.

AK47DR91
07-25-2010, 05:21 AM
Sadly....Andrei Kirilenko :(

HighFlyer23
07-25-2010, 05:23 AM
joe johnson for sure

maybe brandon roy ..

SGK_81
07-25-2010, 05:39 AM
Tony Parker
Artest

b0bab0i
07-25-2010, 05:56 AM
Tony Parker
Artest
No one will forget artest, just like how no one forgets about roman and their crazy antics.

Artest running into crowd beating up fans and crazy/hilarious postgame interviews.

Batz
07-25-2010, 06:01 AM
Tony Parker
Artest
REALLY!?l!?

JustSaying
07-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Iverson
Carter
TMAC
LeBron (w/o a ring)

game3524
07-25-2010, 10:30 AM
Iverson
Carter
TMAC
LeBron (w/o a ring)

Iverson, Carter, and Lebron will not be forgotten. Each of them actually stood out in their era, McGrady however will be an afterthought.

Papaya Petee
07-25-2010, 10:43 AM
The only 3 locks that noone will ever forget are LeBron Wade and Kobe, most likely Dwight and Cp3 too. We shall see about the other guys. I know we will all remember them, but who knows about a normal fan.

zORi
07-25-2010, 10:45 AM
joe johnson for sure

maybe brandon roy ..

I agree with this, and probably Paul Pierce, as well.

I think guys like Melo, and Bosh will be remembered favorably.

Collie
07-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Tmac is the Bernard King of his era. He'll be remembered, but he won't be considered one of the greats.

Carter? A great dunker, but will probably be remembered more for that than anything else. He's this era's David Thompson with longevity.

JustSaying
07-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Iverson, Carter, and Lebron will not be forgotten. Each of them actually stood out in their era, McGrady however will be an afterthought.
Same could have been said re David Thompson, Paul Westphal, Michael Ray Richardson, Marques Johnson, Sidney Moncrief, Otis Birdsong, Walter Davis, Fat Lever, etc. They're hardly ever mentioned anymore.

game3524
07-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Same could have been said re David Thompson, Paul Westphal, Michael Ray Richardson, Marques Johnson, Sidney Moncrief, Otis Birdsong, Walter Davis, Fat Lever, etc. They're hardly ever mentioned anymore.

It isn't comparable, we have never seen 6'0 player as dominant as Allen Iverson, who had big impact on the court and off it. Lebron is another guy we have never seen before with his size, speed, and court vision. And Vince will always have his highlight dunks. Those guys really stood out and with technology today, I highly doubt they will be forgotten.

KissMySwag
07-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Vince Carter
You dont forget the best dunker in NBA history.:facepalm

Lebron23
07-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Brandon Roy

Lebron23
07-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Iverson
Carter
TMAC
LeBron (w/o a ring)

Carter = Greatest Dunker of all time
Mcgrady = Bernard King of the 2000's
Iverson - Greatest NBA Player 5'11" and under. He scored 48 points in the 2001 NBA Finals.
LeBron - 2x NBA MVP, Mr. Triple Double, 2011 NBA Finals MVP. ( I am just kidding)

Court Vision
07-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Do people actually believe LeBron will be forgotten only 20 years from now?!

Joe Johnson
Rip Hamilton
Devin Harris
Josh Howard
Shawn Marion

Guys like that will easily be forgotten about.

It's hard to say a Carmelo or someone will be forgotten about. He's arguably top 5 now with a lot of his career left.
Guys like him and Amar'e are this era's superstars, just like Drexler, 'Nique, and Ewing were. Even without rings, they were great players (I'm not putting Amar'e on Ewing's level, and such)

NoGunzJustSkillz
07-25-2010, 12:00 PM
remember that 3 pointer in game 1 (play-offs, rd. 1) vs. the spurs, took the game to overtime? think it was his rookie season. that was pretty spectacular. coming back strong from them injuries is pretty impressive as well.

Jumpman10135
07-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Why the hell would any one say any one under the age of 32ish? They still have a chance to prove themeselves.

novocaine
07-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Why the hell would any one say any one under the age of 32ish? They still have a chance to prove themeselves.

thank you!
a few posts before some1 said Rudy Gay will be forgotten.......hes got like 15 years ahead...

wang4three
07-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Michael Doleac

alenleomessi
07-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Even if LeBron retires today there is no way a normal nba fan will forget him EVER and yeah he is only 25.

Rose
07-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Carter = Greatest Dunker of all time
Mcgrady = Bernard King of the 2000's
Iverson - Greatest NBA Player 5'11" and under. He scored 48 points in the 2001 NBA Finals.
LeBron - 2x NBA MVP, Mr. Triple Double, 2011 NBA Finals MVP. ( I am just kidding)

You do realize that AI shot 40 shots that game right? Dude will probably be remembered but rarely brought up.
McGrady has too many fans to be forgotten, they might be embarrassed the loved the guy. but he'll definitely be remembered.
I think Dirk could be forgotten because he's choked in the first round of the playoffs what 4 years in a row now? Even though he's one of the better shooters of all time it's sad.

My list:
Iggy
Granger if he never escapes Indiana
Shawn Marion
Amare
David Lee
Josh Howard

nolebball
07-25-2010, 12:36 PM

Pippen was never a league MVP or Finals MVP......

MeLO MvP 15
07-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Probably Amare and Boozer...

Swaggin916
07-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Joe Johnson.

Showtime
07-25-2010, 02:02 PM
I don't think people who never watched Webber will realize how much talent he had.

Gerald Wallace might not ever get the respect he deserves, even today.

Ray Allen should be remembered for more than just shooting 3's, but sadly, he probably won't.

People are already forgetting how good McGrady, Iverson, and Baron Davis were.

Elton Brand and Jermaine O'neal could go the way of the dodo in the memories of people.

Brad Miller was a multiple all-star, one of the best big men passers and shooters of his era, but I doubt he will get talked about much.

Deron and Roy I think are two guys who deserve all the credit in the world, but for some reason don't get it.

No_Look604
07-25-2010, 04:06 PM
how about Mike Bibby?

his days at Arizona and his first few years in Sac-town were INSANE...

shame he wasted those years in Vancouver though.

but come on, the man was a BEAST in the clutch.

boozehound
07-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Gilbo, B davis (does he count?), roy, ginobli/parker, yao (he will be remembered but not for actual oncourt play), deron williams, bosh, maybe kidd.

Rose
07-25-2010, 04:09 PM
how about Mike Bibby?

his days at Arizona and his first few years in Sac-town were INSANE...

shame he wasted those years in Vancouver though.

but come on, the man was a BEAST in the clutch.
Ugh! I forgot Bibby! and he's one of my favs!

L.Kizzle
07-25-2010, 04:10 PM
What the hell is considered a star? I counted over 50 active players , you telling me we got 50 stars in the league right now, lol?

I've seen Iggy, David Lee, Josh Howard, Bibby, ect. When were these dudes stars in the first place.

Court Vision
07-25-2010, 04:30 PM
You do realize that AI shot 40 shots that game right?

You do realize that AI won that game against the LAL who were undefeated in the playoffs going into that game?

Just sayin'.

52 minutes, 48 points, 6 assists, 5 rebounds, 5 steals, 3 TO.

18-41 (.439), 3-8 three FG (.375), 9-9 FT (.100).

Pretty impresive game.

shafir
07-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Melo
Pierce
Roy
Baron Davis
Chris Paul if he doesn't win a championship or two

endandout
07-25-2010, 04:41 PM

Na you're gay so its "gay talks." But for real f@ggot, when you say "real talks" it makes you look like a homo.... And since when is it easy to win a NBA championship? And how did they take a easy path to a ring when they have yet to play a single game?

creepingdeath
07-25-2010, 04:50 PM
I think Dirk could be forgotten because he's choked in the first round of the playoffs what 4 years in a row now? Even though he's one of the better shooters of all time it's sad.
:no:

And what's wrong with some people? MVPs like AI, Nash, Dirk or Duncan (someone even dared to mention Timmy in this context.. :roll: ) will never be forgotten.

game3524
07-25-2010, 04:52 PM
:no:

And what's wrong with some people? MVPs like AI, Nash, Dirk or Duncan (someone even dared to mention Timmy in this context.. :roll: ) will never be forgotten.

Exactly, those guys stood out in their era, you will never forget them.

Court Vision
07-25-2010, 05:18 PM
Melo
Pierce
Roy
Baron Davis
Chris Paul if he doesn't win a championship or two

Melo? Most of his career has yet to be written and he is arguably top 5 right now.

Paul Pierce was a Finals MVP, 8x All Star, and is currently 3rd All Time leading scorer in Celtic history. I don't think he will be forgotten so easily.

Chris Paul will be one of the top 10 PG's of all time.

Guys mentioned in the 80s thread like Tripucka and Birdsong were great scorers, but not as accomplished as a guy like Pierce.

L.Kizzle
07-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Melo? Most of his career has yet to be written and he is arguably top 5 right now.

Paul Pierce was a Finals MVP, 8x All Star, and is currently 3rd All Time leading scorer in Celtic history. I don't think he will be forgotten so easily.

Guys mentioned in the 80s thread like Tripucka and Birdsong were great scorers, but not as accomplished as a guy like Pierce.
Birdsong was an All-NBA 2nd teamer.

Court Vision
07-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Birdsong was an All-NBA 2nd teamer.

He was never an NBA Finals MVP. He was a 4x All Star (Carmelo and Paul already have 3x, Pierce was 8x).

He only had a career 12,000+ points. Paul who is a PG, and is 24, already has half that. Carmelo has surpassed him at the age of what, 26? and Pierce is miles ahead of him.

Birdsong is not in the same league as any of those 3 guys I mentioned.

DuMa
07-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Billups

CoryThaGr8
07-25-2010, 05:59 PM
I wanna say joe johnson but he sorta reminds me of allan hosuton that ppl will remember him solely for his contract

Court Vision
07-25-2010, 06:17 PM
I wanna say joe johnson but he sorta reminds me of allan hosuton that ppl will remember him solely for his contract

http://ryerecordsports.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/10-1999-knicks-houston.jpg

Never gonna be forgotten about in NY.

FormerSunsFan
07-25-2010, 08:01 PM
http://ryerecordsports.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/10-1999-knicks-houston.jpg

Never gonna be forgotten about in NY.

as if that's the only place that matters

CLTHornets4eva
07-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Brandon Roy.
Amare.
Andre Iguodala.

PistonsFan#21
07-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Steve Francis

bomber
07-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Johnson, Marion, Baron Davis, Brandon Roy, Lewis, T-Mac, Redd, Boozer (journey man) Iggy, Kidd (failure to win) Josh Smith, Horford, Jefferson, Arenas, Butler, Jamison. Tony Parker.

Collie
07-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Johnson, Marion, Baron Davis, Brandon Roy, Lewis, T-Mac, Redd, Boozer (journey man) Iggy, Kidd (failure to win) Josh Smith, Horford, Jefferson, Arenas, Butler, Jamison. Tony Parker.

If you're top 10 all time at your position, you probably won't be forgotten too much.

kumquat
12-14-2010, 09:48 AM
You do realize that AI shot 40 shots that game right? Dude will probably be remembered but rarely brought up.
McGrady has too many fans to be forgotten, they might be embarrassed the loved the guy. but he'll definitely be remembered.

My list:
Iggy
Granger if he never escapes Indiana
Shawn Marion
Amare
David Lee
Josh Howard

Stars?

DOUBLE DRIBBLE
12-14-2010, 09:56 AM
I doubt any of these players will be forgotten 20 years from now.

Because we always have some douchebags that want to argue over which era was better and ect....

Niquesports
12-14-2010, 09:59 AM
He was never an NBA Finals MVP. He was a 4x All Star (Carmelo and Paul already have 3x, Pierce was 8x).

He only had a career 12,000+ points. Paul who is a PG, and is 24, already has half that. Carmelo has surpassed him at the age of what, 26? and Pierce is miles ahead of him.

Birdsong is not in the same league as any of those 3 guys I mentioned.

I think you are unerrating Birdsong or never saw him play. At one timePhil Ford and him were considered one of the best back courts in the league.
For the most part it depends on what you mean by forgotten ? Intodays game 10 will always be remembered by there impact.
Shaq
Duncan
Dirk
D Howard
Lebron
Kobe
D Wade
Steve Nash
KG
Paul P
These player's legacy depends on how sucessful they are for the remainder of their career
Mello
K Durrant
Chris Paul
D Wil
Derrick Rose

Most all other players will be remember by the fans of their teams mostly.
Allen Iverson will be remmbered as a folk hero to some and a villian to others.

Niquesports
12-14-2010, 10:06 AM

Pierce is a sure bet as loong as ESPN is going on any all time Boston great will be kept fresh in our mind.
Mello,Paul and a few other guys must maintain their level of play. Has Paul really out played Dave Bing's early years has Mello really outplayed Spencer haywood's early career ? IF you dont know these guys then you hae answered your own question about Mello and Paul and many others.

JohnnySic
12-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Any star that doesn't get hype; Pierce, Granger, Brand, etc.

PrimeJohnnyDepp
12-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Kobe. Lebron. Wade.

I see stocks rising for McGrady and Iverson.

jstern
12-14-2010, 10:25 AM
This has always been an interesting topic to me. Like when you read a comment from a teenager who would say something like, "There were no Super Stars in the 80s and 90s, which is an extremely ignorant comment. To me it seems that they see NBA players/super stars as gods, so surely they will be known by future generations.

But yeah, pretty much all super stars get forgotten, unless they won a lot of rings. I mean, we will know them, but future generations won't really care. The 80s was before my time, and from that era I really know of Bird and Magic. In the 90s Dr. J was a big name, all kids knew of him, but now he's considered just some old player by current teenagers and younger. From the past 10 years I would say only Lebron James and Kobe Bryant will be remembered in 20 years, the rest, no.

Shaq too will be remembered, but even now, read some comments from teens on youtube, and they don't really know how great he was. To them current Shaq = Prime Shaq. That was an eye opener, during the ESPN player of the decade debate. Not the part about Shaq not winning it, but how a younger person could so easily dismiss a player, and even somehow think that Kobe was the man during those 3 peats.

Even Jordan is a little forgotten.

PrimeJohnnyDepp
12-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Seriously though. In the future, Kobe might seem like a replica. Especially if he wins 6 on two three-peats. I see Shaq and Lebron surviving the war and the Time, men who were always sturdy.

NuggetsFan
12-14-2010, 10:47 AM
I'd say a dude that has no nitche. Melo has a gold medal, college chip, that sucker punch, pretty scoring stats. It'll be someone like Brandon Roy. Borderline top 10 player who got injuries and his stats didn't scream at you. T-Mac\Pierce are stupid answers too. Pierce win a title at the "Big 3" and has been the best Celtic for the past X amount of years?. T-Mac through up crazy scoring statistics, something casual fans don't miss.

Elton Brand back in the day is another good one.

kabalcage
12-14-2010, 11:31 AM
This is all on the media to tell society who they should and should not remember. What I'm going to say applies to white culture.

For instance, the 90s Rockets and its players are a forgotten team. Anytime I talk about my Rockets and Hakeem Olajuwon with the common man, they have know idea who I'm talking about. But everyone knows who Jordan is, even people I've met that just moved to America.

Same applies for all Lakers and Celtics players in the 80s except for Magic and Bird; sadly no one seems to know who Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is.

The only players we remember before this era: Jordan, Magic, Bird.
The players we will remember after this era: Shaq, Kobe, LeBron.

But to Hoop Heads, you'll be remembered as long as you have won a championship as the main guy; we forget all the role players.

Ruh-Roh
12-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Pure speculation?

Jason Kidd except for by the people who saw him in the 2000s. He's already becoming underrated by people who didn't see him play earlier.

Tracy McGrady

Anyone on the Bucks...

MAYBE Big Z except by Cleveland fans.

blablabla
12-14-2010, 12:48 PM
SJax
Bibby
Josh Smith
Stojakovic(he was great on that Kings Team)
Billups
Parker
Iggy
Roy

+ a lot of great PG

Funnyfuka
12-14-2010, 12:53 PM
we ll all be forgotten one day. 100 years from now nobody will remember any of us.

mateoboz
12-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Ray Allen
Joe Johnson
Carlos Boozer
David West
Brad Miller
Ben Gordon
Shawn Marion
Richard Hamilton
Baron Davis

yhaanraads
12-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Tim & Penny Hardaway

crisoner
12-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Chris Bosh...

yhaanraads
12-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Chris Bosh...

Who's that?:lol :lol

alenleomessi
12-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Pierce
Bosh
T-Mac
Kidd

maybe even Amare

RaceBannana
12-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Yao.
Joe Johnson.
Jermaine Oneal, yes he was a star.
Chris Bosh.

FF1
12-14-2010, 04:45 PM
McGrady

I disagree with Dirk, he has to be the most successful European born player in NBA history.

I am the biggest Dirk fan but the most successful European (oops... Foreign, not European :P) born player is definitely Manu.. (not the best.. just the most successful).

Dirk will be remembered thought for being the greatest Euro (for now at least) and changing the game (as well as the draft... how many picks have been wasted on trying to find the next "Dirk"?)

RaceBannana
12-14-2010, 05:06 PM
I am the biggest Dirk fan but the most successful European born player is definitely Manu.. (not the best.. just the most successful).

Dirk will be remembered thought for being the greatest Euro (for now at least) and changing the game (as well as the draft... how many picks have been wasted on trying to find the next "Dirk"?)

Ginobili, is not from Argentina?
im asking. no sarcasm.

FF1
12-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Ginobili, is not from Argentina?
im asking. no sarcasm.

Freudian slip.. Manu is the most successful foreign born player :)

Still, considering Dirk hasn't won any championships (and again.. I am a HUGE Dirk fan. My fav athlete ever).. I'm sure you could argue for more successful European players. Heck, even Pau could be considered more "successful" even though I think Dirk is hands down better. Success is a team thing.

magnax1
12-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Maybe not forgotten, but I don't see people thinking so highly of AI, Kidd or Duncan 20 years from now. People will see AI as a chucker (retarded kids who never watched him already do) Kidd as a moderately good PG because he never won much, or had amazing stats, and Duncan as your average 20-10 player because thats how his stats make him look.
I could also see TMac because he had a somewhat similar career to McAdoo, who no one really talks about. Great peak, but burned out quickly because of injuries.

creepingdeath
12-14-2010, 05:49 PM

Still, considering Dirk hasn't won any championships (and again.. I am a HUGE Dirk fan. My fav athlete ever).. I'm sure you could argue for more successful European players. Heck, even Pau could be considered more "successful" even though I think Dirk is hands down better. Success is a team thing.
Team success? Yeah. Individual success? No. Also, there's still time for a ring, so... :pimp:

EarlTheGoat
12-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Maybe not forgotten, but I don't see people thinking so highly of AI, Kidd or Duncan 20 years from now. People will see AI as a chucker (retarded kids who never watched him already do) Kidd as a moderately good PG because he never won much, or had amazing stats, and Duncan as your average 20-10 player because thats how his stats make him look.
I could also see TMac because he had a somewhat similar career to McAdoo, who no one really talks about. Great peak, but burned out quickly because of injuries.

Are you f*cking kidding me? Anyone with half a brain will not remember Tim Duncan the way you said.

SilkyJohnson
12-14-2010, 07:45 PM

How is that a Freudian slip? :wtf:

You know, when you phone a pizza joint and ask for pepperoni, onions and mushroom and the delivery guy shows up with pepperoni, onions and ham, he doesn't say, "Sorry, guy. Freudian slip. I thought the order was pepperoni, onions and ham."

No, he says, "Sorry, guy. My bad. I thought the order was pepperoni, onions and ham. Once again, sorry!"

D12"Magic"
12-14-2010, 07:47 PM
dwight howard
:roll:

StillKill24
12-14-2010, 07:48 PM
jordan and lebrick.

KG5MVP
12-14-2010, 07:57 PM
kevin garnett