PDA

View Full Version : Just how good was Ron Harper?

Posterize246
07-25-2010, 11:43 AM
http://www.enquirer.com/editions/1999/04/26/harper_550x515.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw9X1HX35qQ&feature=related
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/harpero01.html

By the time I was watching him his career was already close to finished. How good was he during those late 80's/early 90's?

john_d
07-25-2010, 11:53 AM
he was awesome. but skilled enough to be effective even after the injuries.

Rake2204
07-25-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, Poster. By the time I was old enough ('92ish) Harper was with the Clippers and I never saw him play. If it counts for anything, my aunt was at Miami (OH) at the same time Ron was and she said he was really great. . .so there's that.

All I've ever had to go off of were his little highlight clips and I have to admit, there were a few plays I saw in the link you posted that I had not seen before and those were some legit finishes (in the first two minutes).

JtotheIzzo
07-25-2010, 12:00 PM
pre-injury he was one of the best 2 guards in the NBA and one of the many 'Jordan challengers' (they all failed, but he was good enough to be considered one).

miles berg
07-25-2010, 12:06 PM
He was Brandon Roy twenty years earlier.

Very, very good player.

Kblaze8855
07-25-2010, 12:25 PM
I was gonna say better than Richard Jefferson ever was but not as good as Brandon Roy. He was between borderline all star and not quite superstar talented.

redhonda76
07-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Back in the days of Cleveland, he was incredibly athletic. He's weakness was his shooting. He's not close to be as good as Brandon Roy. I can't believe Cleveland traded him for Danny Ferry, whom they thought he would be the next Larry Bird.

B-Low
07-25-2010, 03:21 PM
when i first started watching basketball with my dad Harper was one of the first players I have any memories of. Like other people said he was crazy athletic. I like the Richard Jefferson comparison as far as athleticism goes. Before i left Cleveland I would still see him around town at gas stations and stuff, and he'd come in my job sometimes. Really down to earth guy that seems content to just blend in.

PistolPete
07-25-2010, 03:36 PM
Ron Harper the stutterer

Haymaker
07-25-2010, 09:45 PM
He was a good scorer and always been a great defender, not one to get many steals though.

Reggie43
07-25-2010, 10:03 PM
Was he similar to iguodala? Watched him in his time with the bulls

FCN
07-25-2010, 10:10 PM
he was > Kobe pre-injury.

OldSchoolBBall
07-25-2010, 10:13 PM
he was > Kobe pre-injury.

No he wasn't, not even close. :oldlol:

Bigsmoke
07-25-2010, 10:13 PM
yea he could step up when he wants to when he was rocking the Bulls jersey. I didnt see much of his greatest individual accomplishment live though.

shaq's--lakers
07-25-2010, 10:40 PM
for all you young guys he was like andre iguodala.........almost an all star

Lebron23
09-16-2016, 04:42 PM
His 16 yrs.old son is a Fil-American. I hope he plays for Gilas someday,

http://cdn-foxsportsasia.365.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/20130717/ron-harper-jr-solo-8-20-2016.jpg

Ronald Harper, Jr.
birthdate: April 12, 2000 birthplace: Englewood, California, Chicago, Illinois.
height/position: 6’4 – Guard/Forward

Ronald is the son of former NBA veteran and champion Ron Harper and Filipina Maria Pizarro. He played with Bartlett in the WBAC tourney this year and will also play for Don Bosco Prep this coming academic year. There is a small window that may make him eligible for our Batang Gilas U18 team in 2018 (together with Edu).

http://www.foxsportsasia.com/news/ron-harper-jr-lead-fil-foreign-kids-want-play-gilas/

Euroleague
09-16-2016, 04:51 PM
He was a very good player on offense in the open court, and on the fast break.

For a two guard, he was a great ball handler.

He was an absolute lock down defender, being able to lock up point guards, shooting guards, and small forwards.

He had 3 point range, and could knock down some shots, but he was not a good shooter.

His offensive game in the half court was not very good.

He was just an OK play maker, not really being able to create much unless he was in the open court.

tamaraw08
09-16-2016, 05:54 PM

Very, very good player.

Yes, yes, great analogy. :rockon:

What was amazing was how he was able to adjust and still be competitive even when he lost his quickness.

RRR3
09-16-2016, 06:16 PM
He was a good scorer and always been a great defender, not one to get many steals though.
He has the 21st most steals in NBA HISTORY :oldlol:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/harpero01.html

tamaraw08
09-16-2016, 09:25 PM
His 16 yrs.old son is a Fil-American. I hope he plays for Gilas someday,

http://www.foxsportsasia.com/news/ron-harper-jr-lead-fil-foreign-kids-want-play-gilas/

Sana nga.:cheers:

pauk
09-16-2016, 11:48 PM

He was an absolute lock down defender, being able to lock up point guards, shooting guards, and small forwards.

He had 3 point range, and could knock down some shots, but he was not a good shooter.

He was just an OK play maker, not really being able to create much unless he was in the open court.

This.

He played/started alot of PG aswell... and was at his prime very athletic, he was in the dunk contest a couple of times....

Someone mentioned Andre Iguodala, but i would say he was better, certainly a better scorer, the guy averaged up to 23 ppg, 7 rpg, 7 apg, he was more of a 1st option/franchise/go-to-guy.... the very moment he set foot in Cleveland he was their best player, pretty impressive rookie year aswell, 23-5-5 with ~3 steals and 1 block a game, always was a great defender... at his prime / absolute best he was more like Paul George minus the 3pt shot/range & finesse/flash...

Jasper
09-16-2016, 11:54 PM
Saw his whole career..

he was a great scorer, slasher.

When he came to the Bulls he was asked to play defense , drop his offensive game, and be the 3-4 option.
He was so important to the Bull Chips that only the Bull fans really know why.

Outlet passes to opponents wings : Harper was there to defend.
That backdoor pass, for an easy layup , he was the guy that layed it in.
That all important double team on the strong side... he was there.

So many little things that took pressure off of MJ and Pip made Harper a champion.
It was the ultimate for a player.

People talk about MJ , Pip , Worm , (Harper was a heII of an athlete)

Jasper
09-16-2016, 11:56 PM

False - He was a prolific scorer before joining the Bulls.

bizil
09-19-2016, 05:00 PM
We gotta keep in mind that Harp started getting those serious knee injuries IN HIS SECOND SEASON! His rookie year, he put up 22.9 points, 4.8 dimes, and 4.8 rebounds. But despite those injuries, he was basically 20 points, 5 dimes, and 5 boards a night with great defense in his prime years.

And at 6'6 he could play and defend PG, SG, and SF at an elite level. The ONLY OTHER SG at the time like that was MJ. Drexler was capable of many of those things too and a better player than Ron. BUT Ron was a better defender than Clyde. So in terms of versatility on BOTH SIDES of the rock, Harp ONLY took a backseat to MJ in that era.

And Harp was doing this AFTER those knee problems. If it wasn't for that, he might have developed into an HOF level player. But overall, he was a top 5-6 SG in that era for a while. U had MJ, Clyde, Mitch, Reggie, and Dumars ahead of him. If not for injuries, he might have rose to #3 only behind MJ and Clyde.

Smoke117
09-19-2016, 05:05 PM
Saw his whole career..

he was a great scorer, slasher.

When he came to the Bulls he was asked to play defense , drop his offensive game, and be the 3-4 option.
He was so important to the Bull Chips that only the Bull fans really know why.

Outlet passes to opponents wings : Harper was there to defend.
That backdoor pass, for an easy layup , he was the guy that layed it in.
That all important double team on the strong side... he was there.

So many little things that took pressure off of MJ and Pip made Harper a champion.
It was the ultimate for a player.

People talk about MJ , Pip , Worm , (Harper was a heII of an athlete)

His offensive game wasn't that good anymore anyway after his knee injury. The only reason he scored 20ppg on the Clippers in 94 is because he was allowed to do whatever he wanted on a team going nowhere. He had a terrible .496%ts for that season.

FatComputerNerd
09-19-2016, 05:32 PM
He was so good pre-injuries in CLE.

Trading him for Ferry was terrible move at the time. We prob. would have won rings.

Then again, if all that hadn't happened we wouldn't have ended up w/ Lebron most likely.

egokiller
09-19-2016, 06:54 PM
for all you young guys he was like andre iguodala.........almost an all star

He was better than GSW iggy but almost as good as 76'ers iggy.

Crown&Coke
09-19-2016, 07:06 PM
In the 2000 WCF Lakers v. Blazers game 3, Harp hit the game winner with like 30 seconds left (with his sideways rotating release that is weird af)

Pippen was asked who was the most surprised when Harper hit the shot, he said "Harper, without a doubt."

:roll:

They good friends though so it might have been tongue in cheek, but it's Pip so you never know

BedroomBully
09-19-2016, 09:30 PM

Very, very good player.
Jesus how much help did MJ have?