PDA

View Full Version : Collection of Kobe Bryant Work out stories from NBA peers...

Pha Q
08-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Deron Williams:

Quote:
Deron Williams and Kobe Bryant are mutual admirers.

"I have a lot of respect for his game. He's one of the hardest workers I've ever seen," Williams said. "He's just a great competitor... just seeing how he works every day, it's inspiring."

Williams said he had always heard about Bryant's relentlessly competitive nature, but seeing it as a USA teammate offered a different perspective.

Caron Butler:

LINK
Quote:
Caron Butler says he's grateful he spent a year in Los Angeles as Kobe Bryant's teammate and work out partner.

"I say that's the best thing that ever could have happened for me personally for my career," Butler said. "To play alongside a guy like that, see his preparation, see what it takes to get to that level, that's why I was able to be so good in Washington because I took everything I learned from him under his wing."

Butler played in 77 games in 2004-05 with the Lakers. He averaged a then career-high (by a tick) 15.5 points and then career-high 5.8 rebounds. His free throw shooting improved, too.

"Work ethic," Butler said. "He comes to the gym 6:30, 7 in the morning, gets shots every day, a rhythm. Afterward hits the weight room, works out in the summer, studying film, critiquing guys, watching their tendencies, picking things up ... Just studying the game with him taught me a lot."

Butler and Bryant talk every couple of weeks, and when Butler was traded to Dallas, Bryant was quick with a call.

"He told me he was happy for me and happy to see me in a situation to be able to legitimately compete for a title," Butler said.

But Wednesday will be a different conversation.

"You always hear that he's ready to compete," Butler said. "He's happy but at the same time once we get on the court all bets are off with Kobe. He's going to bring it, then hug me afterwards. That's how it is. It's business."

LINK
Quote:
Q: To Caron Butler - What makes former Los Angeles Lakers teammate Kobe Bryant speak so highly of you?

"It's a big brother-little brother type of relationship. How I developed as an NBA player, a lot of credit goes to him, being under his wing out there in Los Angeles. Working out with him every morning, doing all the little things, watching his approach to the game, his mentality, a lot of that rubbed off on me."

Kevin Durant:

LINK
Quote:
Some of the roots of what made Kevin Durant such an efficient scoring machine can be traced back to the summer of 2008 when he was trying to make the roster for Beijing and the team was given a day off in Las Vegas.

We'll let Durant pick up the story from there.

"We had the day off, but they said we could get some shots up if we wanted, so I decided to head over to the gym with [Oklahoma City teammate] Jeff Green.

"Kobe [Bryant] was the only guy on the bus to the gym, and that spoke volumes to me -- he's the best player in the game, yet he's always willing to come work on his game, so that kind of motivated me and Jeff," Durant said. "He went by himself, he got a lot of shots up, and by the time he was done you could see he had gotten better over that hour. Like I said, it was a big inspiration to me and Jeff."

USA Basketball:

LINK and LINK
Quote:
But these 2008 Olympics have been the most remarkable three weeks of Kobe Bryant

PurpleChuck
08-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Mad respect for the guy...:cheers:

Done_And_Done
08-05-2010, 09:19 PM
It always speaks volumes when the hardest worker on your roster is also the number one option on your team. It sets a non verbal precedent that no coach can ever teach...

Enjoyed reading through that...

OnceInADECADE
08-05-2010, 09:21 PM
If Kobe didnt have that work ethic he would be in Vince Carter shoes rite now

Thank GOD his Dad was a baller

ZenMaster
08-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Not a story, but it's pretty cool. It was posted by hotsizzle in the in the Laker forum in 06.

This workout was the one that supposedly bulked kobe up and added alot of muscle:

Its called the 666 workout. 6 hours a day, 6 days a week, 6 months a year.

Consists of:
2 hours of running
2 hours of basketball
1 hour of Cardio (boxing, jump rope, etc)
1 hour of Weights which are listed below:

Day 1 & Day 4
Bench press
Lat pull-downs
Incline press
Military press
Abdominal crunches

Day 2 & Day 5
Lateral dumbbell raises
Bar dips
Tricep press-downs
Bicep curls
Abdominal crunches

Day 3 & Day 6
Back squats/Front squats
Leg curls
Leg extensions
Calf raises
Abdominal crunches

Also an important thing to know is that Kobe focused on plyometric more than anything, which for those who dont know is a method to develop explosive power.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9305

PurpleChuck
08-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Let's just learn to respect a man's attitude towards his passion. Wade is my favourite player but he's nowhere near Kobe in terms of mentality and attitude.

Props to the mamba.:applause:

creepingdeath
08-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Yup, his work ethic and competitiveness are really outstanding and the main reasons why he is being compared to MJ that much.

A shame that most of his fans on this board don't do him justice.

Ah, and don't believe that 666 workout sh*t. There's no way that Kobe (or his fitness coach) would ignore one of the most fundamental essentials of training: regeneration. Guess it's as believable as the workout plans of bodybuilding pros in magazines that try to make them seem as hardcore as possible.

And another addition for the thread:

Dirk Nowitzki on Kobe Bryant (during an interview a few weeks ago): If I wanted to start a franchise right away, of course I'd choose Lebron. I mean Kobe Bryant is still clearly the best baller in the game, but he's 32 years, as old as I am.

Those guys have a lot of mutual respect.

Bladers
08-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Let's just learn to respect a man's attitude towards his passion. Wade is my favourite player but he's nowhere near Kobe in terms of mentality and attitude.

Props to the mamba.:applause:

This is why Kobe doesn't have twitter/facebook. He is focused on the game of basketball..

R-Pattz
08-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Pretty cool stuff. It's hard to imagine any NBA players not having excellent work ethics, but I guess some just continue reaching new heights in that regard once they've reached the league, while others are content with their current abilities. I don't like conjecturing about things I'm only aware of from second hand sources though, I'm sure there are plenty of scrubs with similarly insane work ethics.

PurpleChuck
08-05-2010, 09:30 PM
This is why Kobe doesn't have twitter/facebook. He is focused on the game of basketball..

Come to think of it, yeah. He's so much diff from LeDiva.

Bladers
08-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Pretty cool stuff. It's hard to imagine any NBA players not having excellent work ethics, but I guess some just continue reaching new heights in that regard once they've reached the league, while others are content with their current abilities. I don't like conjecturing about things I'm only aware of from second hand sources though, I'm sure there are plenty of scrubs with similarly insane work ethics.

If they had the same work ethic, then they won't be scrubs...
Everything Kobe has, he learned from MJ and other great basketball players.
His practice brought him to perfection.
Your logic fails, the basic principle is practice = perfect.
If practice still equals scrubs then what is the point of practicing?:facepalm

FlashDwyaneWade3
08-05-2010, 09:39 PM
If I were in the NBA i would smoke a joint like my idol everyday REAL TALKS BRO!!
Fixed.

Bladers
08-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Fixed.
real talk bro, repped.

PurpleChuck
08-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Fixed.

:lol :oldlol: :roll:

arcslnga
08-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Smush Parker doesn't think Kobe is great.:rolleyes:

Suckafree
08-05-2010, 10:20 PM
If I were in the NBA i would work my butt off everyday REAL TALKS BRO!!

Yahh, you needa tell your boy "Supercoolbeas" that

Disaprine
08-05-2010, 11:28 PM
one of the best of all time. :applause:

redridinghood
08-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Fixed.
ROFL LMAO LOLZ

Simple Jack
08-05-2010, 11:42 PM
If they had the same work ethic, then they won't be scrubs...
Everything Kobe has, he learned from MJ and other great basketball players.
His practice brought him to perfection.
Your logic fails, the basic principle is practice = perfect.
If practice still equals scrubs then what is the point of practicing?:facepalm

It's relative. If 2 people practice the same amount it doesn't mean they will develop the same skill level. Basketball has a lot to do with talent, and Kobe was born more talented than 99% of players to have ever played in the NBA. P

Props to Kobe though; if you don't respect this mans work ethic and determination you aren't a fan of basketball.

devin112
08-05-2010, 11:47 PM
BEST KOBE WORKOUT STORY

Why Kobe Bryant inspires me...
By John Celestand

Nov. 10, 2005

In the fall of 1996, my roommate at Villanova, Howard Brown, and I shared a laugh. A skinny bald-headed high school kid, who was a star at the school around the corner, sat in our locker room and told us he probably wouldn

5rings
08-05-2010, 11:59 PM
It comes as no surprise that the best player in the game and top 5 player of all time, has a work ethic like that.

gts
08-06-2010, 12:06 AM
there are people in sports that despite crazy natural born athletic ability that are just hard wired differently then the rest of the mortals on earth and that difference is what takes them to such crazy heights..

blend one part great natural athletic ability with passion for the sport
stir in one part of commitment to be better than anyone else
simmer with the heat of blind obsession
top with 2 parts of rip your heart out or die trying

and there you have a recipe for an elite superstar

if anyone knows or has heard of eddy lawson i have a great eddy lawson story if ya'll care to hear, kinda longish...lol

Ronaldinho
08-06-2010, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=devin112]BEST KOBE WORKOUT STORY

Why Kobe Bryant inspires me...
By John Celestand

Nov. 10, 2005

In the fall of 1996, my roommate at Villanova, Howard Brown, and I shared a laugh. A skinny bald-headed high school kid, who was a star at the school around the corner, sat in our locker room and told us he probably wouldn

praneel
08-06-2010, 06:39 PM
if anyone knows or has heard of eddy lawson i have a great eddy lawson story if ya'll care to hear, kinda longish...lol

I never heard of him, but I school me teach...

I think Kobe is a bball monster, he just has this internal drive only a small percentage of people have in the world. Cocky yes, but to be great, you have to have that confidence in yourself. He believes in himself when others don't.

Great story by John Celestand above too.

Any one know about the Brian Shaw story when he was ballin against Jordan and running his mouth? That story made me flip out, greatness personified

gts
08-06-2010, 07:22 PM

I think Kobe is a bball monster, he just has this internal drive only a small percentage of people have in the world. Cocky yes, but to be great, you have to have that confidence in yourself. He believes in himself when others don't.

Any one know about the Brian Shaw story when he was ballin against Jordan and running his mouth? That story made me flip out, greatness personified

eddie lawson is a 4 time world championship Grand Prix motorcycle rider... when he retired from bikes he went auto racing in indy lights and eventually indy cars then he retired from all forms of professional racing

flash forward 8 years or so and he's racing 125cc and 250cc shifter karts for fun... i had developed some carbon pieces for a couple of his karts and decided to go out and watch him race one weekend when he invited me along..

so he has a new chassis it's real garbage, nothing works well but lawson is so dam good at driving he's got the thing running up front with all the factory race karts, just about anyone else would be struggling just to make the main event, lawson has the kart off pole for the final race

the race starts he jumps into the lead but a kid is all over him, they are having a great battle, the kid has skill and great equipment, lawson has crap equipment and talent oozing out of every pore but more importantly he hates to lose, just hates it...

so the race ends, the kid pulls off a great pass in the finals laps and lawson cannot stand it.

the karts are sent to post race impound and we're hanging out and the kid is excited, he won and he had to beat one of the greatest racers ever to do it!

he comes over all bubbly and jacked up on pride and thanks eddy for the great race and wants to shake hands and lawson looks at him and says "yeah you're a regular fu*king aryton senna" and turns his back on the guy...
the kids heart breaks right there, then tempers flare between a couple of crew members from each driver and it's almost becomes a brawl...lol

my first reaction was geez eddie give the kid a break but when i thought about it more i realized this is the same fire still burning in a meaningless kart race that burned when he was taking the best of the best in the world apart while winning his mulitple GP titles over the years...

just wired different then the rest of us in that way

praneel
08-06-2010, 07:49 PM
just wired different then the rest of us in that way

Oh man, that dude was a douche. But that competitive spirit can take over and make lots of us act differently than in normal context.

Thanks for the info

bl2k8
08-06-2010, 08:50 PM

never heard of it, lol it was probably when mike was on the wiz tho, I'd be surprised if 19 year old kobe would do that to his idol

EllisGW
08-06-2010, 08:51 PM
could imagine if kobe had lebron physical gifts

Dizzle-2k7
08-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Isiah Thomas -- "I used to think James Brown was the hardest working man in showbusiness.. I can now safely say its Kobe Bryant"

Larry Bird --- "Ive never seen anyone work as hard as Kobe, and that includes myself"

Michael Jordan -- "When Kobe was a freshman in HS, I flew him out to Chicago for a personal workout, because I'd read alot of great things about this kid, but I wasnt so sure.. so anyways, this punk kid ends up beating me in HORSE and about 5 or 6 games of 1on1. I couldnt believe it. I told him, someday, you'll be the greatest. I was right"

Bill Russell --- "If Kobe played with me under Red, we'd have won 20 straight."

NoGunzJustSkillz
08-06-2010, 09:17 PM

please share.

NoGunzJustSkillz
08-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Isiah Thomas -- "I used to think James Brown was the hardest working man in showbusiness.. I can now safely say its Kobe Bryant"

Larry Bird --- "Ive never seen anyone work as hard as Kobe, and that includes myself"

Michael Jordan -- "When Kobe was a freshman in HS, I flew him out to Chicago for a personal workout, because I'd read alot of great things about this kid, but I wasnt so sure.. so anyways, this punk kid ends up beating me in HORSE and about 5 or 6 games of 1on1. I couldnt believe it. I told him, someday, you'll be the greatest. I was right"

is this a joke?

bucks_ole
08-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Who would you guys say has a work ethic close to Kobe's in today's game? I know Durant is always saying how much he works and wants to be the best, and how he's always encouraging and supporting his teammates.

gts
08-06-2010, 09:35 PM
is this a joke?
considering the poster i'd ask for a link...lol

john_d
08-06-2010, 09:35 PM

now that is not real.. i hope.

Pointguard
08-06-2010, 09:49 PM

Jordan wouldn't call God the greatest if he had a basketball in his hand. You know how many posters here would have that as their signature?

Pointguard
08-06-2010, 09:52 PM
With Kobe's love for practicing his jump shot, I wonder why he hasn't adopted Durants routine.

Bladers
08-06-2010, 09:54 PM
With Kobe's love for practicing his jump shot, I wonder why he hasn't adopted Durants routine.
Not sure If serious..:pimp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Motv6QuDx3g

NoGunzJustSkillz
08-06-2010, 10:07 PM
i think i actually remember the larry bird quote.

godofgods
08-06-2010, 10:53 PM
is this a joke?

All those were made up.

OldSchoolBBall
08-06-2010, 11:01 PM

You talking about game 3 of the 1992 playoffs vs. Miami, when Brian Shaq and Steve Smith decided to talk trash to MJ about how they were shutting him down etc. after a first quarter where he was scoreless, and then MJ ended up scoring 56 over the final 3 quarters, completing a Bulls sweep? That story?

Pha Q
08-06-2010, 11:15 PM
All those were made up.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: LOL nope....I wouldnt waste my time making that shit up man....

gts
08-07-2010, 12:04 AM
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: LOL nope....I wouldnt waste my time making that shit up man....not your quotes, the ones the idiot posted on page 2

No_Look604
08-07-2010, 12:19 AM
LBJ ain't gon' be doin' shite in his 30's without his athleticism, trust me, so fcuk you haters.

FP10
08-07-2010, 02:50 AM
kobe is such a inspiration! :bowdown:

GOAT24
08-07-2010, 03:43 AM
there are people in sports that despite crazy natural born athletic ability that are just hard wired differently then the rest of the mortals on earth and that difference is what takes them to such crazy heights..

blend one part great natural athletic ability with passion for the sport
stir in one part of commitment to be better than anyone else
simmer with the heat of blind obsession
top with 2 parts of rip your heart out or die trying

and there you have a recipe for an elite superstar

Eddy Lawson is awesome

praneel
08-07-2010, 04:02 AM
You talking about game 3 of the 1992 playoffs vs. Miami, when Brian Shaq and Steve Smith decided to talk trash to MJ about how they were shutting him down etc. after a first quarter where he was scoreless, and then MJ ended up scoring 56 over the final 3 quarters, completing a Bulls sweep? That story?

I never heard that one.

But I was talking about B. Shaw was with GSW I think, and he was playing a pretty good game. He was lighting it up, he then started talking to MJ, really talking.

Well, it was almost over by the time the 4th is about to start, a couple more stops and its over, and MJ walks over to the opposing coach and tells him "you better shut him up" but Shaw keeps on jabbering.

Well 4th quarter rolls around and MJ scores like 16 pts and wins the game, walks over to the opposing coach and tells him "I told you"

Don't poke the bear, he will wake up and eat yo ass!

That was when trash talk was a normal part of the game, but he took it personal. Every percieved slight, he took it as if they were attacking his manhood, and he wasn't having that.

O.J A 6'4Mamba
08-07-2010, 04:09 AM

What a moron. First Jordan would have been in trouble by the NCAA for violation by given money to a kid,when Kobe was getting recruited by Duke. Secondly, Jordan has never ever ever say Kobe is better than him. Hell, at Jordan flight school he even said in his prime he could easily beat Kobe one-on-one and there is visual evidence of it.

Last of all when Kobe was a 14 year old freshman in HS, Jordan was 92' in his prime, winning championship dominating the league. you think any 14 year old kid would have a chance to beat him one-on-one if Jordan tried.

OldSchoolBBall
08-07-2010, 05:10 AM
I never heard that one.

But I was talking about B. Shaw was with GSW I think, and he was playing a pretty good game. He was lighting it up, he then started talking to MJ, really talking.

Well, it was almost over by the time the 4th is about to start, a couple more stops and its over, and MJ walks over to the opposing coach and tells him "you better shut him up" but Shaw keeps on jabbering.

Well 4th quarter rolls around and MJ scores like 16 pts and wins the game, walks over to the opposing coach and tells him "I told you"

Don't poke the bear, he will wake up and eat yo ass!

That was when trash talk was a normal part of the game, but he took it personal. Every percieved slight, he took it as if they were attacking his manhood, and he wasn't having that.

That wasn't Brian Shaw, that was Darrick Martin, and it was a game against the Grizzlies. Jordan scored 19 points in the final 6:00 to pull out the win after Martin wouldn't shut up. Unless there are two stories that are almost exactly the same lol.

Calabis
08-07-2010, 11:23 AM
For all you young dudes still in good shape, get that P90X, how I wish this shit was around when I was younger

Peteballa
08-07-2010, 11:45 AM
What a moron. First Jordan would have been in trouble by the NCAA for violation by given money to a kid,when Kobe was getting recruited by Duke. Secondly, Jordan has never ever ever say Kobe is better than him. Hell, at Jordan flight school he even said in his prime he could easily beat Kobe one-on-one and there is visual evidence of it.

Last of all when Kobe was a 14 year old freshman in HS, Jordan was 92' in his prime, winning championship dominating the league. you think any 14 year old kid would have a chance to beat him one-on-one if Jordan tried.

First post I've ever seen from you without a mention of Oj Mayo.
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Lebron23
08-07-2010, 03:58 PM
LBJ ain't gon' be doin' shite in his 30's without his athleticism, trust me, so fcuk you haters.

What about his great court vision? Stop acting like LeBron only relies on his athleticism. Gerald Green, Joe Alexander, and Josh Smith are great athletes, but they are not better than LeBron.

praneel
08-07-2010, 06:17 PM
That wasn't Brian Shaw, that was Darrick Martin, and it was a game against the Grizzlies. Jordan scored 19 points in the final 6:00 to pull out the win after Martin wouldn't shut up. Unless there are two stories that are almost exactly the same lol.

Derrick Martin!? Derrick Marting talking trash to the great 1? All 5'8" of him?
haha

That sounds like the same story, but I really thought it was Shaw, but whatever the case, that is a pretty cool story no matter who it was.

Good looking OldSchool

YAWN
08-07-2010, 07:41 PM
If I were in the NBA i would work my butt off everyday REAL TALKS BRO!!

easy to say when you don't have the kind of money these guys make in your bank account.