PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated player of: All time, This Decade, and Last Season.

AI3Anthony
08-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Who do you guys think is the most overrated player of All time, this decade, and last season? Briefly explain.

Kblaze8855
08-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Ummm...

All time...Pistol Pete. Did nothing...on any level...except score and be entertaining....was untradable in his prime till his home area got an expansion team and they needed him to sell tickets...all I find suggests he wasnt as highly thought of at the time as he is now by people who watch his highlights. In college he was scoring epic points on a team coached by his dad who told him to shoot everything....and losing in the process. And several guys in his same era scored 38-40 something a game too. Some were not even good nba players. Season after Piston scored I think 44 some other guy average 40 or 42 I believe. He wasnt as special as his numbers suggest. He was a gym built monster talent that didnt seem to translate into a team game as well as one would hope. I respect the work ethic but I just dont think he did anything to justify a lot of the love he gets. Ive seen people say he was miles better than Iverson and its just....weak.

Jermaine Oneal for the last decade. He was a lot better in skillset and ability than he was on the floor. He should have been putting up 23-28/11 from like 02-08. But unlike other wastes of talent like Sheed he had people who really thought he was a great player. Im not 100% sure he had more to do with those good pacer teams than Artest.

Chris Bosh(not as easy a pick as the others but ive heard a few too many people act like he was some elite player last year...dude is Vin Baker).

FCN
08-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Why is Pistol Pete overrated?

I def. like your J.O. choice. I've called him overrated since his second year in the league. Bosh I'm not so sure. He is a bit overrated but I think there are others who have been more so.

Why Pistol though? He was before my time, but from the highlight footage on youtube and whatnot that I've seen he looks to have been pretty incredible.

*edit*

I see your reasons now, thanks for updating. To each his own, and I suppose I am guilty of being one of those who has been impressed by his highlights. :ohwell: -They really are quite impressive though...

FCN
08-09-2010, 07:01 PM
I used to think Chauncey Billups was hugely overrated prior to his move to Denver, but then I changed my mind.

AI3Anthony
08-09-2010, 07:05 PM
I definitely agree with that Jermaine O'Neal pick too. he could have been special.

OnceInADECADE
08-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Chris Bosh(not as easy a pick as the others but ive heard a few too many people act like he was some elite player last year...dude is Vin Baker).

Kblaze you are one of my fav posters on the site but i dont agree with you on this. How is CB4 overrated? Yes i know he aint a superstar but he is very very good.

Explain

JerrySteakhouse
08-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Pau Gasol

1987_Lakers
08-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Ummm...

All time...Pistol Pete. Did nothing...on any level...except score and be entertaining....was untradable in his prime till his home area got an expansion team and they needed him to sell tickets...all I find suggests he wasnt as highly thought of at the time as he is now by people who watch his highlights. In college he was scoring epic points on a team coached by his dad who told him to shoot everything....and losing in the process. And several guys in his same era scored 38-40 something a game too. Some were not even good nba players. Season after Piston scored I think 44 some other guy average 40 or 42 I believe. He wasnt as special as his numbers suggest. He was a gym built monster talent that didnt seem to translate into a team game as well as one would hope. I respect the work ethic but I just dont think he did anything to justify a lot of the love he gets. Ive seen people say he was miles better than Iverson and its just....weak.

Jermaine Oneal for the last decade. He was a lot better in skillset and ability than he was on the floor. He should have been putting up 23-28/11 from like 02-08. But unlike other wastes of talent like Sheed he had people who really thought he was a great player. Im not 100% sure he had more to do with those good pacer teams than Artest.

Definitely agree with you with Pistol Pete. No team success whatsoever & was a turnover machine.

Overrated all-time player on ISH: Scottie Pippen: "Hey lets overrated Pippen because we feel he is underrated" Just look at the Wade vs Pippen thread.

OnceInADECADE
08-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Why? Kobe would only have 3 rings if not for him.

*Braces himself for negreps from Kobestans.*

better take a picture of that Green rep u have cuz that aint coming back

New York Knicks
08-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Kobe, Kobe, and Kobe.

Yeah, nut-huggers neg rep me.

Psileas
08-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Apart from being called one of the 50 GOAT, I don't think Maravich is really discussed in most boards, so from that view, he's not really overrated. However:

1) Thanks to his incredibly flamboyant style, his Youtube highlight mixes are more interesting than most mixes of legends of his era.

2) He still is incredibly popular and overrated in NCAA cycles. I'd say only Kareem and Walton gain more GOAT consideration. What would be the most ironic thing would be some of the "Maravich=GOAT NCAA player" theorists to also support the idea of Oscar Robertson being overrated in the NBA. Honestly, I think Robertson has at least an equally good case of being the NBA GOAT with Maravich being the NCAA GOAT. If Oscar was blamed in the NBA for being selfish and not a great winner, what should we claim about Maravich in the NCAA? I'll take any time Oscar's winning and team spirit in the NBA over Maravich' NCAA respective ones.

L.Kizzle
08-09-2010, 08:10 PM
WALT BELLAMY

I've never seen dude play besides a few highlights, but from what I read he was overrated. He's overrated cause a ton of folks list him as being underrated.

I'll give him a pass for never making an All-NBA team in the 60s as he was a center playing in the Russell/Chamberlain era, but he was only a 4-Time All-Star his first four seasons.

godofgods
08-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Kobe, Kobe, and Kobe.

Kobe, Kobe and Kobe. This is correct.

Jr Llaban
08-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Kobe is more like an over achiever, not an over rated player.

Odom is really over rated, not because he's terrible, but because he shows glimpses of greatness sometimes, but then plays horribly soon after that. Still one of my favorite players.

FCN
08-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Kobe is not overrated. Well maybe he is by the people who try to put him in the top 5 all-time, but even I as a Kobe-Hater acknowledge the reality that is his greatness.

I still don't think he is quite top ten all-time, but he's damn close.

As much as I hate him, His late game heroics and buzzer beating game winners never fail to amaze me. I root for him to miss, but he never does when it matters the most.

Overrated he is not, and as I said, this is coming from a Kobe hater. =)

Rowe
08-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Most Overrated of All-Time: David Robinson, He was a good C but he has received way too much credit from people who refuse to acknowledge he didn't win anything until the Spurs got arguably the greatest PF in NBA History, Tim Duncan. As a #1 option, he shot well below his season average in FG% in every Postseason that lasted more than 1 series. Instantly the arrival of Tim Duncan turned him into a #2 sometimes #3 option. This happened while he was the Spurs' Franchise player up until that point for a decade and considered a future HOFer.

Most Overrated This Decade: Dwight Howard, I've disagreed with people's praise of him when he has yet to assert himself as a dominant big man. Dwight isn't consistent enough with his production, and he should be at least somewhat near Shaq's production at the same age with his raw physical ability and talent.

Most Overrated Last Season: Darren Collison, people thinking they should trade Chris Paul.

PowerGlove
08-09-2010, 10:00 PM
All-time: Pistol Pete/Hakeem

This Decade: Chauncey Billups/Steve Nash

wpdougie2180
08-09-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm going to say it....... Michael Jordan

He's not overrated in the sense that he's the GOAT. He's overrated in the sense they way people speak of him he single-handily won championships and if someone else on the team did anything it was his will that allowed them to do it (kerr game winner, Paxson game winner) of the Bulls lost it was someone else's fault or completely forgotten ( Orlando loss most people don't even mention he played simply saying he sat out 2 years) but that is purely media driven and people having selective memories. Not anything he did.

I think as basketball player he's under rated by the most people under 30 they think he was all dunk when he had a great post-up and mid-range game.

magnax1
08-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Last year-
Pau Gasol. How people can say he is the best PF in the league, I don't understand. Hes one of the worst one on one post defending big men, and hes still extremely soft. He gets pushed around all the time.
Decade-
Dirk- Sort of like Pau. I wouldn't call him soft at all, but he's not what you'd call a complete player. He was never the best at his position, yet he won MVP, and got lots of consideration for best player in the league for a couple years. Hes actually a bit under rated now, but before the Golden State upset the average person's view on him was just insane to me.
All time- I don't really know. James Worthy seems to get a lot of attention that he really doesn't deserve compared to other players. All this stuff is just opinion really, and very different from person to person so its hard to say on any of it.

RocketGreatness
08-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Allen Iverson, Jason Kidd, and Dwight Howard were the first ones to come to mind.

PowerGlove
Allen Iverson, Jason Kidd, and Dwight Howard were the first ones to come to mind.
:oldlol:

You so mad.:lol

Bush4Ever
Pistol Pete is a great choice for all-time overrated. Turnover machine (without making a proportionate number of plays), TOTAL lack of defense, TOTAL lack of team success, and honestly not that great shooting by the numbers (not bad, just not as good as advertised).

This decade...probably Iverson. You can almost replicate the above post about Pistol Pete, except Iverson had a small amount of team success, small amounts of defense. He was a worse shooter however. How he gets trumped up as an all-time great player is beyond me (not really, I know why actually).

This past season...probably Arenas (I'll count him).

FCN
08-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Was Pistol really that bad at defense?

Bandito
08-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Kobe is more like an over achiever, not an over rated player.

Odom is really over rated, not because he's terrible, but because he shows glimpses of greatness sometimes, but then plays horribly soon after that. Still one of my favorite players.
Oh god I forgot about Odom. People always say he's that good but he really isn't. If he was that good he would be playing good every game.

L.Kizzle
08-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Pistol Pete is a great choice for all-time overrated. Turnover machine (without making a proportionate number of plays), TOTAL lack of defense, TOTAL lack of team success, and honestly not that great shooting by the numbers (not bad, just not as good as advertised).

This decade...probably Iverson. You can almost replicate the above post about Pistol Pete, except Iverson had a small amount of team success, small amounts of defense. He was a worse shooter however. How he gets trumped up as an all-time great player is beyond me (not really, I know why actually).

This past season...probably Arenas (I'll count him).
Dude played like 20 games coming off two surgeries ... I don't see it.

RocketGreatness
08-09-2010, 10:13 PM
oh yeah and I can't believe I forgot about the Second Round Virgin, Tracy McGrady.

Oh and add Vince Carter. He clearly made the Magic worse.

Bush4Ever
08-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Was Pistol really that bad at defense?

If I was on another computer I could give you some quotes from players and coaches that would indicate that was easily the case.

Granted, we have to take it on authority if we didn't see him play a ton of games, but it DOES seem to fit into the mold of what we do know, which is that Pistol Pete cared about entertainment a lot more than he should have, relative to winning.

PowerGlove
08-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Not to mention he was lighting people up in those 20 games...:oldlol:

wpdougie2180
08-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Kobe is not overrated. Well maybe he is by the people who try to put him in the top 5 all-time, but even I as a Kobe-Hater acknowledge the reality that is his greatness.

I still don't think he is quite top ten all-time, but he's damn close.

As much as I hate him, His late game heroics and buzzer beating game winners never fail to amaze me. I root for him to miss, but he never does when it matters the most.

Overrated he is not, and as I said, this is coming from a Kobe hater. =)

This is what I mean when I say these players are over rated Kobe missed 2 buzzer beaters in this playoffs alone. He's not over rated in his place in history or being # 1 or 2 currently playing but statements like this is how players get overrated. It's like the whole storyline of his will won't let them lose and they didn't but it wasn't because of his will. The same thing goes for every great player ever their wills or whatever you want to call it didn't make their teammates to hit shots or make plays. For example Kobe plays phenomenally in Game 5 but they lose and he is blamed by virtually everyone and he plays bad in game 7 and everyone gives him the praise its ridiculous.

P.S. this is not to bash KOBE, I just used him as example since they are the most recent champs.

PowerGlove
08-09-2010, 10:16 PM
LOL @ someone who can play all five positions on the court being overrated. He's inconsistent, but that is it.

Bush4Ever
08-09-2010, 10:19 PM

I didn't take the OP as being confined to this past year, but rather who is the most overrated out of the players who played last year.

Kind of dumb, because that obviously isn't what he meant. My bad.

FCN
08-09-2010, 10:21 PM
This is what I mean when I say these players are over rated Kobe missed 2 buzzer beaters in this playoffs alone. He's not over rated in his place in history or being # 1 or 2 currently playing but statements like this is how players get overrated. It's like the whole storyline of his will won't let them lose and they didn't but it wasn't because of his will. The same thing goes for every great player ever their wills or whatever you want to call it didn't make their teammates to hit shots or make plays. For example Kobe plays phenomenally in Game 5 but they lose and he is blamed by virtually everyone and he plays bad in game 7 and everyone gives him the praise its ridiculous.

P.S. this is not to bash KOBE, I just used him as example since they are the most recent champs.

How many game winner's did he have this past year in the regular season? Pretty sure I saw him make a bunch...

Even when he had that bad game in the finals, he still came through late in the 4th when it counted.

We can hate him all we want, but that won't change the reality that is his greatness.

OnceInADECADE
08-09-2010, 10:25 PM
My pick has to go to Jason Kidd. I'm sorry but this guy is overrated on the ish

Inception
08-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Kobe is pretty awesome, but his "killer instinct" is overrated because 2009 is the only NBA finals he has played very well in (but to add salt, VC's defense would make Kevin Martin look like the white Dwyane Wade)

I would say Monta Ellis but ppl haven't been talking about him much anymore. Now I think it's Derrick Rose for me because of his defense (or lack thereof)

sorry for the edit

P.S. JOE JOHNSON! His contract was ridiculous! And I actually hear ppl say he's better than a healthy Ginobili which makes me want to pull my hair out. Ginobili shows up in the playoffs, JJ doesn't. Ginobili attacks the rim, JJ doesn't. Ginobili>>>>>>>>JJ

PurpleChuck
08-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Zach Randolph

PurpleChuck
08-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Kobe is pretty awesome, but his "killer instinct" is overrated because 2009 is the only NBA finals he has played very well in.

I would say Monta Ellis but ppl haven't been talking about him much anymore. Now I think it's Derrick Rose for me because of his defense (or lack thereof)

This this this!

He's not THAT good, guy said he was 2nd in the league behind Kobe.

Overrating himself.:facepalm

SinJackal
08-09-2010, 10:36 PM
All time: Dennis Rodman. Has extremely overrated defense. Was good for little besides rebounds. Great rebounder sure, but he would often sacrifice his role in the defense to try and get in better position for a rebound.

I'm sure there's a better choice for all time, but dude is up there for sure.

Last decade: Ron Artest possibly, for his "defense" which never consistently shut people he's guarding down, or Allen Iverson. Lots of points are great AI, but when you're barely shooting 40% you need to stop chucking. Amar'e gets an "in spirit" vote.

Last year: Bosh. Got overrated to extreme proportions in the offseason. As if his weaknesses were in fact, strengths, and best PF in the league? Please.

This this this!

He's not THAT good, guy said he was 2nd in the league behind Kobe.

Overrating himself.:facepalm

*pukes*. Ellis isn't even a top 25 right now. And he didn't even rate the rest of the league properly.

Inception
08-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Seriously, Joe Johnson for his contract alone. And if you look at how his fg% drops in the playoffs the last 4 seasons, wow, can you say choker?

Crystallas
08-09-2010, 10:41 PM
All-Time: Danny Manning
This Decade: Joe Johnson
Last Season: Danny Grainger

FlashDwyaneWade3
08-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Kobe, Kobe, and Kobe.

Not sure if you're serious.

Bush4Ever
08-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Seriously, Joe Johnson for his contract alone. And if you look at how his fg% drops in the playoffs the last 4 seasons, wow, can you say choker?

Joe Johnson would be my choice for last year as well, if we are confining it only to that year.

Dude is simply not star player material. He is a good third option and an okay second option on a good team. Nothing more, IMO.

wpdougie2180
08-09-2010, 10:48 PM
How many game winner's did he have this past year in the regular season? Pretty sure I saw him make a bunch...

Even when he had that bad game in the finals, he still came through late in the 4th when it counted.

We can hate him all we want, but that won't change the reality that is his greatness.

I agree he is great and hits ridiculous shots that no one else in the NBA can hit. That's one of the things that make him so great. And let's be serious someone else made every big shot in this year's finals.

But don't fall into the highlight trap, the Heat bank shot came on his 3rd attempt at it after being blocked twice by Wade and Wade missing 2 free throws, the Bucks game winner came on his second attempt after missing a wide open shot to end regulation, the boston game winner came on his second attempt after a miss by him a bogus offensive foul on Pierce. And that's of the Games that I saw who knows what happened in the other games.

Sarcastic
08-10-2010, 12:07 AM
All Time: David Robinson - anyone who saw him play knows that he was soft, but he is still regarded very highly.

Decade: Steve Nash - even though he is an all time great PG, he just did not deserve to win 2 MVPs.

Last Season: Joakim Noah - no offensive skillet, but people rave about him.

Rendezvous32
08-10-2010, 12:07 AM
All Time: David Robinson - anyone who saw him play knows that he was soft, but he is still regarded very highly.

Decade: Steve Nash - even though he is an all time great PG, he just did not deserve to win 2 MVPs.

Last Season: Joakim Noah - no offensive skillet, but people rave about him.
0/3, Nice try though, maybe you should try again.

Sarcastic
08-10-2010, 12:11 AM
0/3, Nice try though, maybe you should try again.

Which is your favorite team?

SinJackal
08-10-2010, 12:25 AM

Soft enough to have a winning record against every other top big man who played when he did.

30-12 against Hakeem (with similar/better stats too).

12-11 against Shaq (including his washed up years vs Shaq in his prime), dominated Shaq before his injury. Shaq obviously with more stats after the fact.

12-7 vs Ewing, and with way better stats.

7-6 vs Mourning, with way better stats, not even close.

22-8 vs Mutumbo, with ridiculously better stats.

He's actually underrated, not overrated. You obvious have either A: never seen him play, and are basing your biased judgement on biased things you've heard from biased people. Or B: You didn't watch him much back in the day, not understanding how good he was, and hate him for some reason so you're bashing him.

I don't think he should have won 2 MVPs either, but he did deserve one of them. The guy people think should have won it over him "that one year", actually didn't deserve it either considering that he brought his team nowhere.

Last Season: Joakim Noah - no offensive skillet, but people rave about him

Since when do you have to have an offensive skillset to be raved about?

Dikembe Mutumbo, Dennis Rodman, and Ben Wallace would like to have a word with you.

LALakerFan4Life
08-10-2010, 12:34 AM
Michael money-whore Jordan

ESPN NIKE NBA Corporate America
:facepalm No.

Sarcastic
08-10-2010, 12:43 AM
Robinson always put up good numbers, but still played soft most notably in the playoffs. Living in NY my whole life, I obviously did not watch him on a night by night basis, but I watched him plenty of times during national games to know that he was soft. He didn't have his greatest moments when his team needed it most, and only became a winner when he got to play beside Tim Duncan. Robinson is still a great player, but I just think he is overrated.

SinJackal
08-10-2010, 01:07 AM
Robinson always put up good numbers, but still played soft most notably in the playoffs. Living in NY my whole life, I obviously did not watch him on a night by night basis, but I watched him plenty of times during national games to know that he was soft. He didn't have his greatest moments when his team needed it most, and only became a winner when he got to play beside Tim Duncan. Robinson is still a great player, but I just think he is overrated.

That's the most hollow possible argument that there is against a player. You can make tons of claims that players "dont' step up" simply because their team didn't win a title, regardless of their stats. It's the weakest NBA argument that can possibly be made. According to that logic, every player who didn't win a title without a sidekick is a overrated and sucked when their team needed them the most. Nearly every player in history would fall into the category.

Provide a better argument than, "he didn't win on his own", barely anyone has. Robinson averaged roughly 24/12/3/2/4 in the playoffs on excellent TS% pre injury every year besides one where he was getting doubled/tripled tons against the Jazz in '94. And despite that, he put up excellent numbers in game 4, but they lost anyway, of no fault of his.

You're calling him a non winner, despite the fact that he clearly won more games against the top 5 Cs in the league (other than him), than they did against him, while putting up better numbers against them the whole time.

You don't have a good argument, seeing as how many, many players could not win a title with no star helping him. As I already said, I could list off a ton of guys who put up similar numbers to their career/season averages in the playoffs like DRob did, who never won a title by themselves.

You're saying he's overrated because people say he was good despite not winning until he actually got star some help? Seriously. . .stop it.

Sarcastic
08-10-2010, 01:13 AM
That's the most hollow possible argument that there is against a player. You can make tons of claims that players "dont' step up" simply because their team didn't win a title, regardless of their stats. It's the weakest NBA argument that can possibly be made. According to that logic, every player who didn't win a title without a sidekick is a overrated and sucked when their team needed them the most. Nearly every player in history would fall into the category.

Provide a better argument than, "he didn't win on his own", barely anyone has. Robinson averaged roughly 24/12/3/2/4 in the playoffs on excellent TS% pre injury every year besides one where he was getting doubled/tripled tons against the Jazz in '94. And despite that, he put up excellent numbers in game 4, but they lost anyway, of no fault of his.

You're calling him a non winner, despite the fact that he clearly won more games against the top 5 Cs in the league (other than him), than they did against him, while putting up better numbers against them the whole time.

You don't have a good argument, seeing as how many, many players could not win a title with no star helping him. As I already said, I could list off a ton of guys who put up similar numbers to their career/season averages in the playoffs like DRob did, who never won a title by themselves.

You're saying he's overrated because people say he was good despite not winning until he actually got star some help? Seriously. . .stop it.

You are giving him credit for beating the other centers in head to head meaningless regular season games, but not realizing that he constantly took good teams into the playoffs only to be upset by a weaker team in either the first or second round. He got to the WCF only 1 time on his own, despite having good players around him and good coaches. He came up soft when his team needed him most.

SinJackal
08-10-2010, 01:18 AM
You are giving him credit for beating the other centers in head to head meaningless regular season games, but not realizing that he constantly took good teams into the playoffs only to be upset by a weaker team in either the first or second round. He got to the WCF only 1 time on his own, despite having good players around him and good coaches. He came up soft when his team needed him most.

Meaningless except for the fact that he, more often than not, got the better of his adversaries?

It's not a pre season game, so it isn't meaningless.

All you're doing is trying to pretend the one knock on him is all that matters, and that isn't true.

He has two rings. He has an MVP. He was rookie of the year putting up better numbers than Dwight Howard does now. Has a defensive player of the year award. Has led the league in points, rebounding, and shot blocking at least once each. Led the league in PER for 3 straight years. Led the league in win shares twice, defensive win shares 3 times, win shares/48 mins 5 times.

Led the league, or was within 2-3 spots of highest defensive ranking for nearly every year of his career.

But he's overrated of course, because of one playoff series. Okay kid. You're clearly just hating, and trying to pretend his whole career means nothing outside of a series or two.

You don't have an argument.

Sarcastic
08-10-2010, 01:26 AM
Meaningless except for the fact that he, more often than not, got the better of his adversaries?

It's not a pre season game, so it isn't meaningless.

All you're doing is trying to pretend the one knock on him is all that matters, and that isn't true.

He has two rings. He has an MVP. He was rookie of the year putting up better numbers than Dwight Howard does now. Has a defensive player of the year award. Has led the league in points, rebounding, and shot blocking at least once each. Led the league in PER for 3 straight years. Led the league in win shares twice, defensive win shares 3 times, win shares/48 mins 5 times.

Led the league, or was within 2-3 spots of highest defensive ranking for nearly every year of his career.

But he's overrated of course, because of one playoff series. Okay kid. You're clearly just hating, and trying to pretend his whole career means nothing outside of a series or two.

You don't have an argument.

I've already admitted he is a great player. But the fact remains that he had better teammates than most of the other top Cs during his time, and always came up small when his team needed him most, which is the reason he is labeled "soft".

Geezer
08-10-2010, 01:26 AM
All Time: Patrick Ewing. Not much of a factor on defense, never lead his team to a title while touted as being one of the best big men ever. Loses more points for the Knicks run to the 99 Finals without him, and by getting absolutely DESTROYED by Olajuwon in 94. :cry:

Decade: Tracy McGrady/Vince Carter. Ironic that they both share the same blood, maybe they only share one heart between the two of them as well? :eek:

Last season: David Lee. Beneficiary of D'Antoni's system, plays little to no defense. Good, scrappy player but not worth anywhere near the contract he got from Golden State.

SinJackal
08-10-2010, 01:33 AM
I've already admitted he is a great player. But the fact remains that he had better teammates than most of the other top Cs during his time, and always came up small when his team needed him most, which is the reason he is labeled "soft".

Always came up small even though he has 2 rings as the biggest defensive presence on the team, and played nearly .600 or better every year of his career, most of which as best player on team by far.

Once again, you make a point that holds no value, and is nothing more than your opinion with no stats backing it up.

You also borishly brush off the fact that he defeated all of his rivals more often than not. Sorry dude, but that does count. One-two playoff series out of twelve don't negate everything else he did.

You also haven't given a good reason as to why you feel he is "overrated". You seem to hate the fact that people give him props at all. Nobody's said he's better than any players who are ranked above him. How can he even be considered "overrated"?

Quotable
08-10-2010, 01:42 AM
All Time: Karl Malone

This decade: Dirk Nowitzki or Steve Nash

Last Year: Chris Bosh

SinJackal
08-10-2010, 01:43 AM
All Time: Karl Malone

This decade: Dirk Nowitzki or Steve Nash

Last Year: Chris Bosh

All 3 are PFs?

Quotable
08-10-2010, 01:45 AM
All 3 are PFs?

Notice all three are either poor rebounders, bad defenders or both.

tpols
08-10-2010, 01:47 AM
Always came up small even though he has 2 rings as the biggest defensive presence on the team, and played nearly .600 or better every year of his career, most of which as best player on team by far.

Once again, you make a point that holds no value, and is nothing more than your opinion with no stats backing it up.

You also borishly brush off the fact that he defeated all of his rivals more often than not. Sorry dude, but that does count. One-two playoff series out of twelve don't negate everything else he did.

You also haven't given a good reason as to why you feel he is "overrated". You seem to hate the fact that people give him props at all. Nobody's said he's better than any players who are ranked above him. How can he even be considered "overrated"?
Lol you cant argue with this kid.

He picks and chooses what to use for whoever it is he's supporting but the fact of the matter is david robinson is still a great player. However, he came up short in the playoffs every year and got dominated by hakeem in one of the most embarrassing lopsided head to head series ever. That could have been robinsons finals mvp that year but hakeem took it from him and is now top ten instead of him. Talking about him being the best defensive presence on his teams where they won is a joke. Ron artest was also the best defensive player on the lakers the past year.:confusedshrug:

SinJackal
08-10-2010, 01:49 AM
Notice all three are either poor rebounders, bad defenders or both.

I agree about Bosh, but Malone averaged 9-12 rebounds for 14 years in a row (usually 10+). He was pretty good grabbin boards, especially in the playoffs. Dude was a dirty player though, elbowing people left and right.

SinJackal
08-10-2010, 01:51 AM
Lol you cant argue with this kid.

He picks and chooses what to use for whoever it is he's supporting but the fact of the matter is david robinson is still a great player. However, he came up short in the playoffs every year and got dominated by hakeem in one of the most embarrassing lopsided head to head series ever. That could have been robinsons finals mvp that year but hakeem took it from him and is now top ten instead of him. Talking about him being the best defensive presence on his teams where they won is a joke. Ron artest was also the best defensive player on the lakers the past year.:confusedshrug:

You can't agrue with me since I make better points than you do. I posts facts, stats, and logical arguments, while you post nothing but garbage (and wrong information with nothing backing it up) and can't debate any point I bring up.

You're nothing more than a troll.

tpols
08-10-2010, 01:52 AM
You can't agrue with me since I make better points than you do. I posts facts, stats, and logical arguments, while you post nothing but garbage (and wrong information with nothing backing it up) and can't debate any point I bring up.

You're nothing more than a troll.
:facepalm

SinJackal
08-10-2010, 01:55 AM

You should be hiding your face.

Quotable
08-10-2010, 01:57 AM
I agree about Bosh, but Malone averaged 9-12 rebounds for 14 years in a row (usually 10+). He was pretty good grabbin boards, especially in the playoffs. Dude was a dirty player though, elbowing people left and right.

I think Malone was an OK rebounder, but there were much much better during his era.

ShaqAttack3234
08-10-2010, 01:59 AM
All Time: Patrick Ewing. Not much of a factor on defense, never lead his team to a title while touted as being one of the best big men ever. Loses more points for the Knicks run to the 99 Finals without him, and by getting absolutely DESTROYED by Olajuwon in 94. :cry:

Ewing wasn't much of a factor on defense? Ok, you didn't watch him play, that's obvious.

And the Knicks wouldn't have made it out of the first round in '99 without Ewing's big game 5 vs Mourning in Miami to clinch the series as the 8th seed, despite playing while he was visibly injured, Ewing arguably outplayed Mourning who was in his prime, Ewing was 36/37. And Ewing went down for good about halfway through the ECF, they didn't get to the finals without him.

nbacardDOTnet
08-10-2010, 02:02 AM

Most Overrated This Decade: Dwight Howard, I've disagreed with people's praise of him when he has yet to assert himself as a dominant big man. Dwight isn't consistent enough with his production, and he should be at least somewhat near Shaq's production at the same age with his raw physical ability and talent.

+1

DH12 's defense is great but he is not next SHAQ.

ShaqAttack3234
08-10-2010, 02:05 AM
+1

DH12 's defense is great but he is not next SHAQ.

I don't think anyone calls him the next Shaq anymore.

nbacardDOTnet
08-10-2010, 02:15 AM
I don't think anyone calls him the next Shaq anymore.

I think you don't call DH12 next SHAQ.

but not less unreasonable Magic fans has considered DH12 as next SHAQ.

like Most Dominant Ever :blah Superman :blah
(Actually, MDE and real Superman (of NBA) is SHAQ as you know.)

Bandito
08-10-2010, 02:33 AM
Mcgrady was very overrated when they said he was the next coming of Jordan.

dbugz
08-10-2010, 03:00 AM
This Decade - Brandon Roy and Chris "Softy" Bosh

ShaqAttack3234
08-10-2010, 03:07 AM
Most overrated last year? Joe Johnson or Kevin Durant.

Last decade? That's tough.

julizaver
08-10-2010, 03:19 AM
In terms of numbers and NBA pro-career the most over-rated player of all-time is Bill Walton - at his best during Blazer mania he was not better than Kareem (to be honest he was statistically soundly outscored and outrebounded by Jabbar who shot 60 % FG against Walton in the series for 30 ppg average). He miss half the games, cause of injuries. In my opinion he is highly regarded because of his NCAA career. He has only 2 good NBA seasons (and they are also cut short by injuries). Anyway I admire his style of play and passing abilities ( I used to watch all the 70's youtube stuff). Reminds me of the young Sabonis, who was great talant, but injuries early in his career limited his physical abilities and start playing in NBA at 31 years of age, when he was flat footed.

Mentally_Pretty
08-10-2010, 03:35 AM
Why? Kobe would only have 3 rings if not for him.

*Braces himself for negreps from Kobestans.*
god i wish i was in green right now. i'll neg rep the shiit out of you.

ScarSymmetry
08-10-2010, 03:36 AM
I think Durant was definitely overrated by many this season. The guy is a gun don't get my wrong, I actually follow OKC, but he has a lot of aspects to improve on his game to be considered a top 5 player IMHO, which many are saying he already is.

barbaroi
08-10-2010, 03:38 AM
I think Durant was definitely overrated by many this season. The guy is a gun don't get my wrong, I actually follow OKC, but he has a lot of aspects to improve on his game to be considered a top 5 player IMHO, which many are saying he already is.
Last year he was one of only 5 players in history to score 30+ ppg on 60+ TS%. I'd say that's top 5 material...

chains5000
08-10-2010, 03:42 AM
Last year he was one of only 5 players in history to score 30+ ppg on 60+ TS%. I'd say that's top 5 material...
He agrees on the scoring machine part, just questions his overall game (if I'm not mistaken).

barbaroi
08-10-2010, 03:55 AM
He agrees on the scoring machine part, just questions his overall game (if I'm not mistaken).
I understand; but I just don't think you can be that efficient of a volume scorer and be overrated. I mean that was a historically good scoring season, and he averaged 8 rpg too.

1Time4YourMind
08-10-2010, 04:46 AM
i think durant can be a top 5 player in this league, easily... if he improves his overall game by leaps and bounds this season i am going to be really excited for the thunder. he needs to improve his playmaking skills.

SGK_81
08-10-2010, 07:15 AM
All-time: Scottie Pippen - if he hadn't played with MJ nobody would remember him

Decade: Carter, D.Howard

Last season: Jennings

chains5000
08-10-2010, 07:16 AM
I understand; but I just don't think you can be that efficient of a volume scorer and be overrated. I mean that was a historically good scoring season, and he averaged 8 rpg too.
I didn't say I agreed with him:D

PurpleChuck
08-10-2010, 09:44 AM
All-time: Scottie Pippen - if he hadn't played with MJ nobody would remember him

Decade: Carter, D.Howard

Last season: Jennings
:facepalm @ the Pippen choice.

The rest right on.

Manute for Ever!
08-10-2010, 10:21 AM
All-Time: Hakeem Olajuwon - When he was in his prime playing days, he was never considered heads and shoulders above his peers at his position - Robinson, Ewing and, later, Shaq- but more on a level playing field or slightly better. Now, in hindsight, people are saying he was a top 10 player. I'm not one who is into individual rankings, but people who were following the NBA back then didn't think that for a second. Hindsight is never 20-20.

Last Decade: Dwight Howard - Has no moves at his position, gets by almost solely on sheer athleticism and the severe lack of talent at his position. He's beyond a great athlete, but he just isn't a particularly great basketball player.

Last Season: Ron Artest - Really had no effect on the Lakers at all last season, I think the end result would've been the same without him (and this is coming from a Laker hater).

Calabis
08-10-2010, 10:36 AM
http://www.rtvchannel.tv/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/kobe-bryant1.jpg

Hard to call a great player overhyped, but he is. Kobe is a all time great, best of his generation. He is consider the best scorer of his time(I agree) and by "some" ever, yet he has all but, 2 scoring titles and in 14 seasons has scored less than Oscar Robertson in the same amount of seasons. His fans far to often diminish his teammates to elevate his status to Top 5 player all time. To me he is the Emmitt Smith of NBA basketball....damn great player, who had great teammates and won.

Mirjalovic
08-10-2010, 11:20 AM
All-time = Scottie Pippen........ Pippen > Wade ? Seriously ??
This decade = LeBron James.,,, his ******gers act like LeBron has won multiple championships.
Last season = Joe Johnson/Amar'e/Zach Randolph

beermonsteroo
08-10-2010, 11:22 AM
All Time: Russel
Last Decade: Duncan/Kobe
Last season ( last three seasons actually) Kobe

laker24
08-10-2010, 11:59 AM
All time: Jordan, not saying he wasn't great but the way people talk about him is like he is untouchable.

Decade: Lebron James. Not saying he won't be a great player, but the they call him the King, the chosen one. we are all witness remember. Win first.

joyner82
08-10-2010, 12:38 PM
all time-Kobe
last decade-Kobe
last season-Kobe

also lol @ durant being overrated

Yung D-Will
08-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Brandon Jennings is not overrateed =( You tards

Lo1a
08-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Kobe is pretty awesome, but his "killer instinct" is overrated because 2009 is the only NBA finals he has played very well in (but to add salt, VC's defense would make Kevin Martin look like the white Dwyane Wade)

sorry for the edit

P.S. JOE JOHNSON! His contract was ridiculous! And I actually hear ppl say he's better than a healthy Ginobili which makes me want to pull my hair out. Ginobili shows up in the playoffs, JJ doesn't. Ginobili attacks the rim, JJ doesn't. Ginobili>>>>>>>>JJ

Am I missing something? When did Kobe ever play against Vince Carter in the Finals??

CHAresurgence
08-10-2010, 01:03 PM
All-Time: Danny Manning
This Decade: Joe Johnson
Last Season: Danny Grainger

Why Granger? Just Wonedring.
He may have been a bit overrated two years ago, but last year noone payed him any attention. He was hurt a lot anyway.

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
08-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Pau Gasol

Keep dreaming. Gasol is an absolute beast. He is a top 5 PF in the game. Maybe even top 3.

creepingdeath
08-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Keep dreaming. Gasol is an absolute beast. He is a top 5 PF in the game. Maybe even top 3.
Haha I saw what you did there:

Keep dreaming. Gasol is an absolute beast. He is arguably the best PF in the game.

was your original post. Thanks for validating the argument that he's overrated. :lol

Svendiggity
08-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Last season - Durant
This decade - Nash
All Time - Hakeem

ShaqAttack3234
08-10-2010, 01:35 PM
All-Time: Hakeem Olajuwon - When he was in his prime playing days, he was never considered heads and shoulders above his peers at his position - Robinson, Ewing and, later, Shaq- but more on a level playing field or slightly better. Now, in hindsight, people are saying he was a top 10 player. I'm not one who is into individual rankings, but people who were following the NBA back then didn't think that for a second. Hindsight is never 20-20.

For most of his career, you're right that he wasn't considered head and shoulders above his peers, but in '95, everyone was amazed by what Hakeem had done the previous 2 seasons and he definitely has the resume of a top 10 player.

Last Decade: Dwight Howard - Has no moves at his position, gets by almost solely on sheer athleticism and the severe lack of talent at his position. He's beyond a great athlete, but he just isn't a particularly great basketball player.[/QUOTE]

When you lead your team to the finals, win two DPOY awards, average 21/14/3 on 57% shooting, lead the league in blocks and rebounds multiple seasons, lead the league in FG% ect. you're an elite basketball player.

And Dwight does have moves, you don't average 20+ without moves. He has the running hook and jump hook and occasionally he'll show a oretty nice spin move.

FCN
08-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Last season - Durant
This decade - Nash
All Time - Hakeem

:wtf:

Se
08-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Who do you guys think is the most overrated player of All time, this decade, and last season? Briefly explain.

All-time: Pete Maravich & Tracy McGrady
These guys did nothing other than score. Shoddy defense, lack of post season experience, and he played for multiple average to terrible teams.

This Decade: Chris Bosh
What has he done so far? What has he done with his career? Defining moments? There aren't any.

Last season: Rajon Rondo
He's a great athlete, facilitator and defender. He'll never be a franchise player. He is still not the best player on his team.

Rendezvous32
08-10-2010, 02:17 PM
All-Time: Pistol Pete - He was basically Stephen Marbury, yet somehow he was considered the 50 greatest players of all-time in '97. SMH. :banghead:

This Decade: Dwight Howard - See Manute 4 Ever's post, he couldn't have said it any better than that.

Last Season: Kevin Durant/Joe Johnson - What the hell did Durant do last season that a guy like Melo hasn't done? A guy like Roy hasn't done? A guy like Dirk hasn't done? Yet somehow this guy is rated as the 4th best player in the NBA, it makes literally no sense to me.

Joe Johnson is self-explanatory, he clearly did not deserve that max contract, he never did, never has, and never will. He is a third option player, he might be able to compliment a big like Duncan at the wing position, but he cannot win anything ever as the first option player. He is best suited as a third option, and at best second option. Never for first option though.

Svendiggity
08-10-2010, 02:22 PM
[QUOTE=Se

Rendezvous32
08-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Good picks. I still laugh everytime people rank Rondo over Billups.
Except, Rondo is clearly better than Billups, so basically you laugh at the truth.

AirJordan&Magic
08-10-2010, 06:33 PM
All time: Reggie Miller, Pete Maravich, & George Gervin

This Decade: Jermaine O'neal, Gilbert Arenas

Last season: Brandon Jennings

Dave_520
08-10-2010, 06:45 PM
I def think Harold Miner deserves a place somewhere in here.

And in regards to D.Howard... he is easily the most overrated player of the past decade. Playing in a big man diluted league already, people rate him highly because he is a genetic freak with huge shoulders who can jump high. Thats basically the extent of his game. He has fewer post moves than David Robinson with about a quarter of his quickness.

jlauber
08-10-2010, 06:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5-J2Spj7kg

Watch the entire video.

Or this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-bhv5s7yGY&NR=1

Svendiggity
08-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Except, Rondo is clearly better than Billups, so basically you laugh at the truth.

The majority of people on here will agree with you. That's why I think Rondo is overrated. If i had to pick between the two in a game with everything on the line, I'm taking Billups with no hesitation. I don't care that he's 33, he's just as good as he was when he was 27 in my opinion. He should still be good when he's 36, because he doesn't need elite speed or leaping ability to excel.. just like Kidd and Nash.

monkeypox
08-10-2010, 07:41 PM
All Time: Michael Jordan. Why? Because when people say that no one will ever be better, you just know the guys is overrated. Greatest of all time sure, but the gap isn't that big and it certainly isn't insurmountable.

This decade? Tim Duncan. Great player but gets overrated a lot because of his rings. One of those guys that was like a steady 9 for longer than anyone else, but never quite a 10. Still amazing and one of the best of the decade, but I hear too many times people calling him the greatest forward of all time, and I just don't think that's the case. He didn't even win finals MVP one of his championship years (which I agree shouldn't be used as a metric for earned championships but people do it anyways.) But still, I just don't see the argument that he was the best player of the decade like many on here suggest.

Last year? LeBron James. People were handing him the championship all last year and probably some years before. The guy didn't even show up to be eliminated and has failed to win a single finals game in his entire career. He never proved he could win with that team before he hitched his wagon to another players star. Arguably the best player in the league last year but not a lock and definitely not at championship caliber as of yet.
Last season?

Rendezvous32
08-10-2010, 09:11 PM
The majority of people on here will agree with you. That's why I think Rondo is overrated. If i had to pick between the two in a game with everything on the line, I'm taking Billups with no hesitation. I don't care that he's 33, he's just as good as he was when he was 27 in my opinion. He should still be good when he's 36, because he doesn't need elite speed or leaping ability to excel.. just like Kidd and Nash.
Not even close.......Billups was a much much much better defender when he was 27 than he is right now. Most people don't even understand that Billups is basically a mediocre defender now-a-days. Another problem I have with Billups is that he constantly pulls up for a contested 3s for no reason. Whether it is in the fast break or in a halfcourt set he just jacks them up.

branslowski
08-10-2010, 09:25 PM
All-Time: Oscar Robertson...Dude is placed way too high on the All-Tme list by dumb ppl...Placing him above Moses Malone and Kobe is beyond dumb.

This Decade: Prob Jason Kidd...Weak ass triple doubles for the most part (not saying they aren't good but...)But yeah...

Last season No one that comes to mind.

mayo'sgrizz
08-11-2010, 12:19 AM
just wanted to say jkidd is NOT overrated whatsoever. he is a top 5 PG of all time... shaq even said it.. and dirk over last decade as overrated??? hell no if anything he has been one of most consistent players in the league puttin up numbers in the tougher western conference...

but all time- charles barkley/sorry just never impressed me as a player really. better comedian than player
decade- vince carter/ love vince but really never did anything to improve the teams he played for.(best dunker of all time though)
last yr- lamar odom/ by far. most inconsistent in the league. he wonders why he dont start..

Reggie43
08-11-2010, 03:29 AM
All time: Kobe

This Decade: Kidd, Ben Wallace

Last Season: Durant?

hon
11-01-2010, 04:54 AM
Tmac

http://ballerwives.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/tracy-mcgrady-wife-clerenda-harris.jpg

Ne 1
11-01-2010, 05:06 AM
All Time: Michael Jordan

This Decade: Tracy McGrady

Last Season: Kevin Durant

Tha Catalyst
11-01-2010, 05:22 AM
All time? I wouldn't know as I'm not old enough to have watched all players from all eras unfortunately.

This Decade? Hard to say only one player. I think at times Rasheed Wallace was overrated, as was Reggie Miller, despite being an amazing shooter.

Last Season? Hmm probably a young player who recieved too much hype. Darren Collison was being overrated at stages last season, I think some overrate Durant slightly as I still feel he does not impact a game as Kobe, Lebron, Wade. Howard, Paul and others do. Sure he is an amazing talent and will be the primier scorer of the league for the next decade, but I don't think he can affect a game as the top 5 or so players in the league can.

the_wise_one
11-01-2010, 05:25 AM
Kobe Bryant is the correct answer to all three questions.

PurpleChuck
11-01-2010, 05:47 AM
All Time: Michael Jordan

Ruined a great post.:facepalm

Ne 1
11-01-2010, 05:49 AM
Ruined a great post.:facepalm

Maybe not overrated but he sure was over-hyped.

sh0wtime
11-01-2010, 07:05 AM

All time: Pete Maravich
Last season: Kevin Durant

Da KO King
11-01-2010, 07:22 AM
*super knee jerk reaction with no thought except the answer for all time*

All Time: Michael Jordan - in a team sport with varying positions and roles of responsibilty there is no such thing as a sngle greatest player ever.

Decade: Chris Bosh - if Shareef Abdur-Rahim is considered everything from a "bum" to a "loser" to "just an average player" why are people so high on Chris Bosh?

Last season: Kevin Durant - amazing scorer but the idea that he was somehow "robbed" of the MVP is silly.

Scuba Steve
11-01-2010, 07:59 AM

All Time: Michael Jordan - in a team sport with varying positions and roles of responsibilty there is no such thing as a sngle greatest player ever.

Decade: Chris Bosh - if Shareef Abdur-Rahim is considered everything from a "bum" to a "loser" to "just an average player" why are people so high on Chris Bosh?

Last season: Kevin Durant - amazing scorer but the idea that he was somehow "robbed" of the MVP is silly.
:rolleyes:

What a terrible post. So because there are varying positions and roles one can not be better than the other?

CEO is different to garbage man but I'm guessing you'd pick one over the other 100 times out of 100.

madmax
11-01-2010, 09:21 AM
All time - Definitely Jordan. No player is bigger than the game and proclaiming a SG a basketball "god" and consensus GOAT is flat-out overrating.

Last decade - Iverson. Undersized chucker, who took advantage of crappy eastern conference and got to the finals just to be slaughtered by Lakers there.

Last year - Durant. Ok, he can score. What else can this dude do?

comerb
11-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Maybe not overrated but he sure was over-hyped.

I'm curious, how old are you? That goes for any of you that think Jordan is overrated.

I have a pretty good feeling you never actually watched Jordan play outside of old highlight reels.

PurpleChuck
11-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Jordan is not overrated. He just happened to be also charismatic enough for the media to jump on his nuts and hype him up. They needed a face for the NBA, why not it's best player?

Psileas
11-01-2010, 10:11 AM
:rolleyes:

What a terrible post. So because there are varying positions and roles one can not be better than the other?

CEO is different to garbage man but I'm guessing you'd pick one over the other 100 times out of 100.

No, because there are varying opinions on this matter, and the GOAT matter is a matter of opinion, that's why "one can not be better than the other".
Jordan vs the other GOAT candidates is nothing like a CEO vs a garbage man (although a few dudes like "KG's Celtics" believe so). It's like a CEO vs CEO or a Ferrari vs a Lamborghini (or a garbage man to garbage man, to be fair).

Oh, and there's no way I'm picking the CEO over the garbage man 100/100 times. Good luck living in a world without garbage men. Sooner or later, you'll have to employ some, even if they used to be CEO's.

ginobli2311
11-01-2010, 02:02 PM
All Time: Kobe....great player of course, but his level of play does not warrant the constant comparisons to jordan and the truly elite players of all time

Decade: Joe Johnson....this is a no brainer. the dude just got a max contract and has been talked about as an elite player for years now. he is averaging 16 points on 41% shooting in the playoffs for his career. he's not good in the clutch and he's a poor defender. honorable mention goes to bosh.

Las Year: Bosh. He's not a max guy and he's not one of the 10 best players in the league and he's not on the Gasol level. I don't think he provides a lot to a team that translates into wins. No defense and no low post scoring and he gets rattled and he's not great in the clutch.

chazzy
11-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Pistol Pete

TDPrime2030
11-01-2010, 02:06 PM
All-time: Pistol Pete

2000-2010 Decade: Jason Kidd/Gilbert Arenas - I'd lean towards Arenas.

33teeth
11-01-2010, 02:42 PM

The Abdur-Rahim, Bosh comparison is an interesting one. If you look at statistics through similar periods of their career, they are really similar:

Shareef: 20.8 ppg, 8.3 rpg, ~ 3 assists and a block.
Bosh: 20.1 ppg, 9.4 rpg, ~2 assists and a block.

Alhazred
11-01-2010, 02:59 PM
No, because there are varying opinions on this matter, and the GOAT matter is a matter of opinion, that's why "one can not be better than the other".
Jordan vs the other GOAT candidates is nothing like a CEO vs a garbage man (although a few dudes like "KG's Celtics" believe so). It's like a CEO vs CEO or a Ferrari vs a Lamborghini (or a garbage man to garbage man, to be fair).

Oh, and there's no way I'm picking the CEO over the garbage man 100/100 times. Good luck living in a world without garbage men. Sooner or later, you'll have to employ some, even if they used to be CEO's.

Nice analogy, repped.

Dwade305
11-01-2010, 03:03 PM

:applause:

Teanett
11-01-2010, 03:10 PM
all-time overrated:
1. allen iverson
2. vince carter

Ikill
11-01-2010, 03:11 PM

why are Jason Kidd and gilbert arenas overrated i think there rated fine

Teanett
11-01-2010, 03:13 PM
and right now, it has to be chris bosh.

he's like shareef, vin baker...

Ikill
11-01-2010, 03:21 PM
all-time overrated:
1. allen iverson
2. vince carter
why?

Teanett
11-01-2010, 03:31 PM
why?

media image and fan perception.
both being marketed and viewed as the "face" of basketball, the legitimate
heir to jordan, the ones carrying the torch into the next millenium.
both did almost nothing else than appear on highlight reels.
vc dunked on everybody.
ai won an mvp award on 40% fg, while shaq and duncan were in their primes.

PowerGlove
11-01-2010, 03:34 PM

Jason Kidd and AI? Overrated?:oldlol:

Vince Carter? LOL, he was only in the elite group for one or two years, I fail to see how he is overrated.

People dont even know what the word means.

Overrate-To overestimate the merits of; rate too highly.

magnax1
11-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Decade-Easily Dirk for me. At points in his career he was considered a top 3 player, a real superstar, and was being put over guys like Wade, when really he had no business being compared to him. Great player, but not on MVP level.
All time-Hard to say. When people say Pippen is top 30, that's pretty insane. He has no business being next to guys like Ewing or Barkley. He's obviously on a tier or two below those guys.

Ikill
11-01-2010, 03:41 PM
media image and fan perception.
both being marketed and viewed as the "face" of basketball, the legitimate
heir to jordan, the ones carrying the torch into the next millenium.
both did almost nothing else than appear on highlight reels.
vc dunked on everybody.
ai won an mvp award on 40% fg, while shaq and duncan were in their primes.
i see but more overhyped than overrated

Teanett
11-01-2010, 03:49 PM
:
Vince Carter? LOL, he was only in the elite group for one or two years, I fail to see how he is overrated.

8-time all-star
led fan voting 3 times

creepingdeath
11-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Decade-Easily Dirk for me. At points in his career he was considered a top 3 player, a real superstar, and was being put over guys like Wade, when really he had no business being compared to him. Great player, but not on MVP level.

magnax1
11-01-2010, 03:53 PM
You think he was as good as Wade? Or played better then Duncan, Kobe, Lebron, or Nash even in 07, when he won the MVP? It was pretty obvious he wasn't to me.

Samurai Swoosh
11-01-2010, 03:54 PM
You think he was as good as Wade? Or played better then Duncan, Kobe, Lebron, or Nash even in 07, when he won the MVP? It was pretty obvious he wasn't to me.
Agreed.

PowerGlove
11-01-2010, 03:56 PM
8-time all-star
led fan voting 3 times

being an all-star does not mean that you are elite by any stretch of the imagination.

Ikill
11-01-2010, 03:57 PM
8-time all-star
led fan voting 3 times
Like i said too much hype not overrated

creepingdeath
11-01-2010, 04:07 PM
No, he wasn't as good as Wade. He was better. Granted, Wade outplayed him by far in the finals (with a better team, which is worth mentioning, and under unfortunate circumstances for the Mavs). But Dirk showed tremendous consistency during both the regular season and the playoffs without a legit #2. Did you even watch him that year? And how could Dwayne have been better in 06/07 when he missed 31 games due to injuries and Dirk dominated the league in the regular season? Kobe and Nash were the only other players in serious MVP discussion that year..

I could elaborate on that and offer actual proof, but obviously we won't ever be able to agree on that topic, so...

Knoe Itawl
11-01-2010, 04:11 PM
It's Kobe Bryant, pretty easily and I think a lot of reasonable, knowledgeable basketball fans agree but they don't want to be perceived as "haters' so they don't mention him.

Kobe IS a great player, that much is obvious. But come on. You actually have the media and a lot of ignorant fans who not only believe he is in the same league as Michael Jordan (which he never has been) but some believe he's BETTER. If he wins 6 rings, you'll have even more ignorant people hyping the comparison when Kobe is not, has never been nor will ever be on the same level as Jordan, much less BETTER. That's not even a slight on Kobe, it's just the truth. How could he NOT be overrated given that?

NO other plaiyer has been as undeservedly compared to a player widely regarded as the GOAT. If that's not overrated, I don't know what is. And yes, you can be a great player but very overrated. (Kobe Bryant).

Teanett
11-01-2010, 04:12 PM
being an all-star does not mean that you are elite by any stretch of the imagination.

it does not, but unlike yao (or kobe's 1st allstar game) it was general consensus that he was one of the best players in the league during that stretch.
he also has 4 all nba selections and was traded for zo, 2 other players and 2 1st rounders.
you will find many threads on message boards from that time dicussing who's the best 2-guard: vc, kobe or ai.

Teanett
11-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Like i said too much hype not overrated

they go hand-in-hand.

SavageMode
11-01-2010, 04:13 PM
It's Kobe Bryant, pretty easily and I think a lot of reasonable, knowledgeable basketball fans agree but they don't want to be perceived as "haters' so they don't mention him.

Kobe IS a great player, that much is obvious. But come on. You actually have the media and a lot of ignorant fans who not only believe he is in the same league as Michael Jordan (which he never has been) but some believe he's BETTER. If he wins 6 rings, you'll have even more ignorant people hyping the comparison when Kobe is not, has never been nor will ever be on the same level as Jordan, much less BETTER. That's not even a slight on Kobe, it's just the truth. How could he NOT be overrated given that?

NO other plaiyer has been as undeservedly compared to a player widely regarded as the GOAT. If that's not overrated, I don't know what is. And yes, you can be a great player but very overrated. (Kobe Bryant).

This. And Durant... still have yet to see him take over a game when the chips are down.

Rose
11-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Agreed.

magnax1
11-01-2010, 04:14 PM
No, he wasn't as good as Wade. He was better. Granted, Wade outplayed him by far in the finals (with a better team, which is worth mentioning, and under unfortunate circumstances for the Mavs). But Dirk showed tremendous consistency during both the regular season and the playoffs without a legit #2. Did you even watch him that year? And how could Dwayne have been better in 06/07 when he missed 31 games due to injuries and Dirk dominated the league in the regular season? Kobe and Nash were the only other players in serious MVP discussion that year..

I could elaborate on that and offer actual proof, but obviously we won't ever be able to agree on that topic, so...
Injuries aren't part of this subject. When Wade was on the court, he impacted both sides of the ball. Dirk wasn't even a terribly good rebounder. He really was just a scorer, a consistent scorer, yes but compared to Wade who could pass, score (better then Dirk), and was one of the top defensive guards in the league, it really doesn't make any sense at all to say Dirk was better.

Ikill
11-01-2010, 04:18 PM
decade- kobe
last season- Kevin Durant

ashbelly
11-01-2010, 04:20 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Truth, but the amount of Hate and negative reps you'll get will be out of this world..

Papaya Petee
11-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Honestly? Right now it's Danny Granger. I have never seen anyone put more empty stats then him.

Teanett
11-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Injuries aren't part of this subject. When Wade was on the court, he impacted both sides of the ball. Dirk wasn't even a terribly good rebounder. He really was just a scorer, a consistent scorer, yes but compared to Wade who could pass, score (better then Dirk), and was one of the top defensive guards in the league, it really doesn't make any sense at all to say Dirk was better.

injuries are part of the game.
and it's "most valuable" not "best" player.

check it out:
total points in 06/07
dirk- 1916
dwyane- 1397

mavs won 67 games that year.

Stoney
11-01-2010, 04:44 PM

sorry for the edit

VC didn't even play for the Magic that season, they aquired him in the off- season after the finals vs Lakers

creepingdeath
11-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Of course injuries are part of the equation, you can't judge someone who only played ~60% of a season.

It's true, Wade played great in the (rather few) games he played, but not on Dirk's level. Better scorer? 24.5 @ 50.2/41.6/90.4 is definitely not worse than to 26 @49.1/26.6/80.7. Better passer? Wade is a guard, so he should be, but Nowitzki is also a great passer, especially considering that he's a 7ft PF with (at least at that time) offensively liable bigs that can't utilize his passes for sh*t. Oh, and he is extremely well at ball-handling and produces only few turnovers. So while Wade had twice as much assists than Dirk in 06/07, he furthermore caused twice as much turnovers. Dirk had 9 rebounds per game and finished 8th in defensive rebounds in his MVP season, pretty good considering he's a perimeter-oriented player.

Also, Dirk lead his rather mediocre team to 67 wins, finished #1 in PER and win shares, and #3 in offensive rating (#12 in defensive rating, for those who think that MVP Dirk was still "irk").

Well, I'm tired of this revisionist discussion. Let's just agree to disagree, then.

Allstar24
11-01-2010, 05:28 PM
blah blah blah I HATE KOBE! blah blah blah
Never disappoints.

Rose
11-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Of course injuries are part of the equation, you can't judge someone who only played ~60% of a season.

It's true, Wade played great in the (rather few) games he played, but not on Dirk's level. Better scorer? 24.5 @ 50.2/41.6/90.4 is definitely not worse than to 26 @49.1/26.6/80.7. Better passer? Wade is a guard, so he should be, but Nowitzki is also a great passer, especially considering that he's a 7ft PF with (at least at that time) offensively liable bigs that can't utilize his passes for sh*t. Oh, and he is extremely well at ball-handling and produces only few turnovers. So while Wade had twice as much assists than Dirk in 06/07, he furthermore caused twice as much turnovers. Dirk had 9 rebounds per game and finished 8th in defensive rebounds in his MVP season, pretty good considering he's a perimeter-oriented player.

Also, Dirk lead his rather mediocre team to 67 wins, finished #1 in PER and win shares, and #3 in offensive rating (#12 in defensive rating, for those who think that MVP Dirk was still "irk").

Well, I'm tired of this revisionist discussion. Let's just agree to disagree, then.

Jordan doesn't win 67 on his own. Dirk sure as **** doesn't.

MasterDurant24
11-01-2010, 05:47 PM
All Time- Reggie Miller. People are talking about him being a first-ballot hall of famer, when all he could do is shoot. I don't hear anybody calling Ray Allen a first ballot, when he is a much more skilled player with a ring. I'll take Vince Carter, Chris Mullin, Paul Pierce, Mitch Richmond, Tim Hardaway, Bernard King, and Ray Ray over him, and I wouldn't call any of them first ballot hall of famers.

Worthy deserves honorable mention, as he did not have the skill of a Marques Johnson or Jamaal Wilkes, and if he was on a lesser team, he might be as remebered as much as a Mark Aguirre.

Last Decade:
Maybe not the most overrated, but I havent seen him yet. Baron Davis has terrible shot selection, with a FG% of 40.9 for his career. Allen Iverson averages 42.5 for his career. Warriors were very fast-paced, leading me to believe his stats were a little inflated. The only other allstar level pointguard who averages as low a FG% is Chauncey Billups, but at least he can consistenly hit outside shots and is a good leader for his team.

Last Season: Rajon Rondo. Is it me or does his high assist numbers always come up in Boston Garden? I watch the Celtics games, and I never see Rondo getting 17 or 19 assists, but yet I'm fooled everytime. It might just be me though. Anyways, Rondo isn't a very good scorer or shooter and I think his defense is overrated. Russell Westbrook is more likely to turn a defensive play into a offensive play while playing with a lesser defense behind him. It always easier to play defense on the perimeter when you have a great defense behind you. Ask Jordan, who had Rodman. Dennis Johnson, with McHale, Bird, and Parish. Havlicek, with Cowens. I can bet you that they will say the same thing.

creepingdeath
11-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Jordan doesn't win 67 on his own. Dirk sure as **** doesn't.
Nobody does. Sooooo? :confusedshrug:

Samurai Swoosh
11-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Best Game ... IMO was the 2008 Gold Medal Game between USA and Spain.

Rose
11-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Nobody does. Sooooo? :confusedshrug:
I'm just saying don't say he lead a mediocre team to 67 wins.

tpols
11-01-2010, 05:59 PM
All Time- Reggie Miller. People are talking about him being a first-ballot hall of famer, when all he could do is shoot. I don't hear anybody calling Ray Allen a first ballot, when he is a much more skilled player with a ring. I'll take Vince Carter, Chris Mullin, Paul Pierce, Mitch Richmond, Tim Hardaway, Bernard King, and Ray Ray over him, and I wouldn't call any of them first ballot hall of famers.

Honestly I think reggie's overrating comes from the whole 90s generation where everyone's abilities were exxagerated space-jam style.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBkBPmrrqOo

Samurai Swoosh
11-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Cause the Mavs certainly weren't mediocre. Yet still got bounced in the 1st round by an 8th seed.

Rose
11-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Cause the Mavs certainly weren't mediocre. Yet still got bounced in the 1st round by an 8th seed.

Bad matchup. Got beat by them all 4 times in the regular season. they won the west. They weren't mediocre.

creepingdeath
11-01-2010, 06:08 PM
The team was "rather" mediocre. Of course it was good as in good enough to make the playoffs, but they vastly overachieved and the main reason for that was Dirk having a career season.

tpols
11-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Wow dirk getting massively underrated in this thread. The GOAT big man shooter that has made the mavs relevant for the past decade. Don't be ignorant, the mavericks wouldn't've even made the playoffs for most of this decade without dirk at the helm.

Rose
11-01-2010, 06:26 PM
The team was "rather" mediocre. Of course it was good as in good enough to make the playoffs, but they vastly overachieved and the main reason for that was Dirk having a career season.
He's put up very similar numbers most of his career. The only difference was they were coming off a Finals appearance, and they were the #1 seed that's why he got the MVP

Stoney
11-01-2010, 06:42 PM
All time:
tough call between Ralph Sampson and Bill Walton. Walton is rated by some as a top 25- 30 player of all time with a proffesional career where he only had two elite level seasons, and even in those two seasons he was plagued by injuries. Too many people overrate his level of play in the Blazers' championship season, while good, he still got outplayed by Kareem almost as badly as Hakeem outplayed Robinson in 95. While Walton and the Blazers won their series, unlike Robinson and the spurs, you can't give all the credit to Walton for that, as basketball is a team game after all, and Walton had better teammates than Kareem that year. I'll agree that he was really great in college though.

While he might not be overrated today, Sampson was extreamly overrated during the first half of the 80'es. Not only did he win three straight college player of the year awards while only having good but not great stats and never leading his team to a championship or even the title game. In the NBA, he was then seen by many as the best player on a Rockets team where Hakeem both have better stats than him, played better defence, and stepped up his game much more during the playoffs, with the exception being Sampsons memorable shot against the Lakers in the WCF in 86. After 86 he struggled with injuries and was sort of forgotten, and today i would not say he's that overrated.

This decade:
Too many to pick only one. The cousins VC and T- Mac, with Bosh, Arenas and JJ up there too.

Last season:
While i love to watch Rondo play, i gotta go with him in this one. Sometimes people talked/talks like he's a top 3 PG in the league, which he isn't yet.

gengiskhan
11-01-2010, 07:11 PM
IMHO

Most overrated player of 2000 Decade: Kobe Bryant (runner up: Dirk Nowitski)

Why?

very simple. Kobe never had as dominant a season as Shaq.

Kobe never had as dominant NBA finals series as Dwyane Wade had in SG position despite being to NBA finals record 7 times so far(Wont even bother comparing him to Shaq's & Dunkin's finals performances)

Yet. Kobe Bryant is called Player of the 2000 decade despite winning rings with most dominant big man of 2000 decade.

His PER efficiancy is good but not outstanding for the decade. ESPN the media gladly wanna disgrace Shaq & Dunkin dominance of the 2000 decade & gave it to Kobe. This was laughable at best.

Why?

plainly cuz of 35ppg season when he was jocking every shot despite 45%FG & that 81 pts game. Kobe is great no doubt. but so were drexlar & dominique. He is still no shaq or dunkin in 2000 decade.

Runner Up: Nowitski is the 2000 decade larry bird. thats just laughable. He is anything but a franchise player.

FindingTim
11-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Kobe's game is so 2-faced that I don't feel fully comfortable mentioning him in the overrated section.

I'm only 21 so I didn't see Drexler play much, but from what I've seen he wasn't that great. If memory serves right he can't even dribble with his left hand...:confusedshrug:

Currently I think Lamarcus Aldridge and Dwight Howard are way overrated. Aldridge could do so much more to utilize his talents, just like Howard (though he seems to have improved on offense)

dgnr8
11-01-2010, 08:07 PM
KOBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe :cheers: :cheers:

indiefan24
11-01-2010, 08:34 PM
(Wont even bother comparing him to Shaq's & Dunkin's finals performances)

dunkin donuts mmmmm

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
11-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Decade: T-Mac

Last Season: Bosh ( the guy put up numbers on a crappy team for years. The Shareef comparisons are legit)

All-Time- DUNNO

magnax1
11-01-2010, 09:04 PM

Also, Dirk lead his rather mediocre team to ]67 wins, finished #1 in PER and win shares, and #3 in offensive ratin (#12 in defensive rating, for those who think that MVP Dirk was still "irk").

I laughed at the bold part. The Mav's perimeter was stacked.
I also laughed at 27 on 49% isn't better then 24.5 on 50%. It really doesn't get any simpler then when comparing a one dimensional scorer, to a complete player, and the complete player is a better scorer anyway, then the complete player is better.

seoerizer
11-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Kevin Durant.

raptorfan_dr07
11-01-2010, 10:06 PM

Reading through this thread, there are actually a good number of posters who have selected this answer. This is my answer for all three questions as well, but you could probably make the case for some others, especially when talking about past decade and last season. However, I think it's Kobe pretty easily when talking about all time.

chazzy
11-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Last season was definitely Durant. I heard some ridiculous comments from analysts in the offseason.

ex. Stein: "Why is it a big deal that Lebron teamed up with Wade? He's not a top flight player like Kevin Durant or something"

Jasper
11-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Quite the posts ...

Any case the list can be long in regards to players considered all-time.

When I look at a player over rated - it would mean over the whole compulation of his career people expected him to take his team or teams to the promised land and the result was ZILLCH.

But the OP post also stated this decade as well as last season.
This gives me an edge to name one player that could of would of should of taken his team to the promised land , and two franchises expected the same :

Baron Davis

yep he was injury prone ... but he's had some serious hip , like many in past history and is sitting on a nice contract right NOW.

Jasper
11-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Reading through this thread, there are actually a good number of posters who have selected this answer. This is my answer for all three questions as well, but you could probably make the case for some others, especially when talking about past decade and last season. However, I think it's Kobe pretty easily when talking about all time.

Over rated comes with a cost.
Even though he is over hyped , he has assisted in delivering championships.
Even though he is glorified - over rated should be someone that fans , franchises all thought would help their organization take them to some where special.

Last season was definitely Durant. I heard some ridiculous comments from analysts in the offseason.

ex. Stein: "Why is it a big deal that Lebron teamed up with Wade? He's not a top flight player like Kevin Durant or something"
I follow Stein man pretty closely , and I do not remember - ever him saying this .. .you have any proof ?
Stein was the always on Lebron as the best or 2nd best in the world , next to Kobe.

MasterDurant24
11-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Quite the posts ...

Any case the list can be long in regards to players considered all-time.

When I look at a player over rated - it would mean over the whole compulation of his career people expected him to take his team or teams to the promised land and the result was ZILLCH.

But the OP post also stated this decade as well as last season.
This gives me an edge to name one player that could of would of should of taken his team to the promised land , and two franchises expected the same :

Baron Davis

yep he was injury prone ... but he's had some serious hip , like many in past history and is sitting on a nice contract right NOW.

:applause:

ashbelly
11-02-2010, 02:13 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: You guys are on a roll today.

opps
11-02-2010, 02:22 AM
IMHO

Most overrated player of 2000 Decade: Kobe Bryant (runner up: Dirk Nowitski)

Why?

very simple. Kobe never had as dominant a season as Shaq.

Kobe never had as dominant NBA finals series as Dwyane Wade had in SG position despite being to NBA finals record 7 times so far(Wont even bother comparing him to Shaq's & Dunkin's finals performances)

Yet. Kobe Bryant is called Player of the 2000 decade despite winning rings with most dominant big man of 2000 decade.

His PER efficiancy is good but not outstanding for the decade. ESPN the media gladly wanna disgrace Shaq & Dunkin dominance of the 2000 decade & gave it to Kobe. This was laughable at best.

Why?

plainly cuz of 35ppg season when he was jocking every shot despite 45%FG & that 81 pts game. Kobe is great no doubt. but so were drexlar & dominique. He is still no shaq or dunkin in 2000 decade.

Runner Up: Nowitski is the 2000 decade larry bird. thats just laughable. He is anything but a franchise player.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Kobe has the most rings in the game today along with Fisher.
He has been in the Finals in the last three years.
Won MVP & 2 MVP's
& overall has been in the Finals 7 times.
+ many other accomplishments

How in the **** is he the most overated player of the decade??? Kobe went number 13 in the draft & rode the bench his first few years. If anything he has overachieved :facepalm