PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Feel About The Camera Cut to Baseline On Fastbreaks?

Rake2204
08-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Here's an example of what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9VoYv3QrQA

I understand TV crews are always trying to get their viewers closer to the action and I agree the baseline angles look great on highlight reels. However, when I see a play develop from the press angle (TV View) then watch as it quickly cuts to a baseline (or backboard) angle just before a player takes off for a spectacular dunk, I tend to lose proper perspective for what's happening. I have this weird urge to see awesome plays in conext during real time action.

When I watch a basketball game unfold almost exclusively from a single angle only to have to quickly adjust my eyes to a new look when something cool's about to happen, I do not like that.

How do you feel?

beermonsteroo
08-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Here's a precise example of what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9VoYv3QrQA

I understand TV crews are always trying to get their viewers closer to the action and I agree the baseline angles look great on highlight reels. However, when I see a play develop from the press angle (TV View) then watch as it quickly cuts to a baseline (or backboard) angle just before a player takes off for a spectacular dunk, I tend to lose proper perspective for what's happening. I have this weird urge to see awesome plays in conext during real time action.

When I watch a basketball game unfold almost exclusively from a single angle only to have to quickly adjust my eyes to a new look when something cool's about to happen, I do not like that.

How do you feel?

I hate it:rant :rant

Droid101
08-11-2010, 03:32 PM

How do you feel?
I hate all their "alternative" angles. I'd rather they keep it from that 3/4 side view the entire game, and only use the other angles for (second/third) instant replays.

kentatm
08-11-2010, 03:33 PM
I hate all their "alternative" angles. I'd rather they keep it from that 3/4 side view the entire game, and only use the other angles for (second/third) instant replays.

+1

Jr Llaban
08-11-2010, 03:40 PM
I hate it, the worse one was when LeBron was going for a free throw line dunk and they switched angles right when he took off.

alwaysunny
08-11-2010, 03:51 PM
I was about to bring this up too. I absolutely hate it.

Andrei89
08-11-2010, 03:54 PM
it's horrible i have no idea why they do it

icewill36
08-11-2010, 03:57 PM
i cant stand it.... semi OT: i like camera crews that actually zoom out some when a player hits a big shot so you can see the crowd reaction more. they seem to do it in many Magic games from what i noticed and i wish more camera crews did it.

OldSchoolBBall
08-11-2010, 04:34 PM

+10000

dyna
08-11-2010, 05:27 PM

This^

Skywalker
08-11-2010, 05:29 PM
I like when they have the ones right above the court looking down at the players in football.

Mrofir
08-11-2010, 05:39 PM
They should have helmet cams in basketball.

Rake2204
08-11-2010, 11:01 PM
I kind of wish there was a place where our voices could be heard. I've always had the feeling producers thought they were doing viewers a favor by switching to the low angle. However, a favor it is not. Like others said, replays at those angles are just fine, but not during live action.

brantonli
08-11-2010, 11:13 PM
God I hate it as well, I never really understood the baseline camera anyway, and it breaks the continuity of the play. It's alright for replays, and I like sideline cameras (esp at half court). That reminds me, how come no Photo of the Year on NBA.com?

And I agree with the poster above that said something about seeing the crowd reaction, I like noticing off court things like that on replays.

Nastradamus
08-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Hurts big dunks, but helps you see a foul and generally what happened.

opps
08-11-2010, 11:21 PM
http://delusionaltruth.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/hated-it.jpg

no but seriously they seem to always do it at the most exiting times of the game

1Time4YourMind
08-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Hurts big dunks, but helps you see a foul and generally what happened.
talking about actual game footage, they have instant replay for that.

Jasper
08-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Not in person , but TV angle , I watched a full game from above the backboard.
Took getting used to... but you see less speed in the game , better spacing of the floor from players and actually a better perspective of how a play develop's....

If I am just watching a game for entertainment purposes - I agree with the OP.

Rake2204
08-12-2010, 12:29 PM
I kind of wish I was in control of the camera angle. Are there any online broadcasts with that option at this point?

Rake2204
11-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Another casualty of the cut to baseline: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okw1KoFo9tM

The way it should and always be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNmlc48_UaQ

Kblaze8855
11-27-2013, 12:35 PM
I kind of wish I was in control of the camera angle. Are there any online broadcasts with that option at this point?

TNT overtime gives you the option of every camera angle EXCEPT the usual tv broadcast.

BoutPractice
11-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Ideally I would like a static angle that gives you full visibility at the halfcourt level, at all times, combined with the occasional replay (but only if they're sure they're not going to miss an even better play). I would also get rid of split screens entirely. If there is an interview going on during the game, no one needs to see the interviewee's face (especially if it's larger than the actual in-game action).

CeltsGarlic
11-27-2013, 01:36 PM
this have probably been brought up million times... and yet no one does anything about it.

Nero Tulip
11-27-2013, 01:56 PM
Everybody in the world hates it. They either do it to piss people off, or it's a cry for help from the director.

nathanjizzle
11-27-2013, 01:58 PM
this is an example of a dunk ruined due to that baseline shot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAIyP4gnPNE

La Frescobaldi
11-27-2013, 02:09 PM
I love all the angles but they should stay with just one through the series.
The camera dropped (as it seems) from the scoreboard is great for set piece plays

inclinerator
11-27-2013, 02:21 PM
the lebron near freethrow line dunk comes to mind, i feel it would have been alot more hyped if the actual angle was shown live

I<3NBA
11-27-2013, 02:59 PM
i cant stand it.... semi OT: i like camera crews that actually zoom out some when a player hits a big shot so you can see the crowd reaction more. they seem to do it in many Magic games from what i noticed and i wish more camera crews did it.
all camera crews do this. it's not their fault some directors choose to play another shot than the one they took. realize that a "camera crew" of an NBA game is composed of multiple camermen assigned to different angles and shots. and one is specifically assigned to do that crowd reaction shot. now, it's the director's (they call him TD or technical director) call which shots to air live. he calls out the camera number and the switch technician plays whatever camera number he calls.

Everybody in the world hates it. They either do it to piss people off, or it's a cry for help from the director.
its mainly this. most directors doing camera cuts such as the OP complained about are probably directors training for film or trying to showoff their ability to match cut live.

it's a pretty shitty move when done live, but when done on replay, it's really great.

Jailblazers7
11-27-2013, 03:13 PM
I don't like the camera switch but it doesn't really bother me. What really pisses me off is when they use an alt angle for like 3 minutes for no real reason.

Rake2204
11-27-2013, 04:44 PM
its mainly this. most directors doing camera cuts such as the OP complained about are probably directors training for film or trying to showoff their ability to match cut live.

it's a pretty shitty move when done live, but when done on replay, it's really great.Truth. Fine on replays, absolutely terrible when cut in mid-action.

jamal99
11-27-2013, 07:28 PM
I hate it and I have never heard that someone likes it. They can totally ruin what would be great play with normal camera angle.
We should make some kind of petition against that shit...

bigt
11-27-2013, 08:12 PM
semi OT: i like camera crews that actually zoom out some when a player hits a big shot so you can see the crowd reaction more. they seem to do it in many Magic games from what i noticed and i wish more camera crews did it.

THIS, I don't know how many times I've replayed big shots on youtube to watch the fans react. There's the shot Dirk takes in game 6 of the finals, a big fadeaway jumper over Bosh when the game is all but over, call me a sadist but I love watching the looks on the faces of the fans in slo mo. Same goes for buzzer beaters at home when the crowd just goes nuts

Rake2204
11-28-2013, 05:39 PM
I hate it and I have never heard that someone likes it. They can totally ruin what would be great play with normal camera angle.
We should make some kind of petition against that shit...Agreed. I just keep trying to figure out the thought process. Like, who's making these decisions and why?

Owl
11-28-2013, 05:48 PM
Don't particularly like it. This example is particularly jarring because Vince has already taken off and that's just too late to baseline. If you're going to do that, do it earlier (and if you don't want to do it earlier in case he doesn't go to dunk or it ends up with a baseline J off camera or something, then don't cut in game).

DuMa
11-28-2013, 05:50 PM
backboard cam is the best

G-train
11-28-2013, 06:04 PM
I Have Hated This My Whole Life

Rake2204
03-29-2014, 12:08 PM
Another victim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzbPtRbdNV8