PDA

View Full Version : 4-team trade sends Collison and Posey to Indiana! Troy Murphy gone

Miller Time
08-11-2010, 04:47 PM
The New Jersey Nets have obtained forward Troy Murphy from the Indiana Pacers as part of a four-team trade which also involved the Houston Rockets and New Orleans Hornets, Nets General Manager Billy King announced today. As part of the transaction, the Rockets acquire Nets guard Courtney Lee and send Trevor Ariza to New Orleans, with Indiana acquiring Darren Collison and James Posey from the Hornets.

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=6401

---

Hells Yea. Bye bye Murphy. Hello Collison. I love this trade.

Finally a good point guard to build the team around. Playoff might not be such a long shot now? We might be able to squeak in as the 8th seed? Even though I would love a high draft pick more :P

InspiredLebowski
08-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Holy shit. Murphy's ass is finally gone, we get a quality young point, AND slice $4mm off the immediate payroll. Posey's even a decent player, nowhere worth his contract, but he can play a bit still.

WELL DONE LARRY BIRD

:djparty:party:

Miller Time
08-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Lol I was so excited I missed an N in CollisoN.

Yes very well done Mr.Bird. I take my hat off to you and bow!

jbot
08-11-2010, 06:09 PM
:djparty :party: :djparty

finally, a kick ass trade!!!

JerzeyBlaze
08-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Dangerous Dangerous team with Collison now

Nets fan 93
08-11-2010, 07:09 PM
What a steal for you. Is Posey that bad that they had to trade Collison. IDK very confused why the other teams did it. I cant believe you guys got Collison that cheap though. Will your rookie be starting PF or maybe Granger? Or do you see a future trade?

InspiredLebowski
08-11-2010, 10:01 PM
What a steal for you. Is Posey that bad that they had to trade Collison. IDK very confused why the other teams did it. I cant believe you guys got Collison that cheap though. Will your rookie be starting PF or maybe Granger? Or do you see a future trade? I haven't seen Posey since he won a ring in Boston, but it's hard to think he fell off THAT hard in such a short time. He didn't have any injuries or anything that I can remember. Anyway, I heard reports the team'd like to buy him out, but Posey isn't pursuing one. I'd be fine with a buyout, clears a 15th roster spot to sign Magnum Rolle.

Right now the starting 4'd probably be Hansbrough, but no one really knows how healthy he is. There's a lot of bigs on the roster (Hansbrough, Jeff Foster, Solo Jones, Hibbert, hopefully Magnum Rolle soon, Josh McRoberts) but not one real quality starting 4 in the bunch obviously. There's clearly a hole there, but it's an easier one to fill than the one we just filled. There could be worse things than giving Hansbrough big minutes this year. With the current roster I think Danny'd see A LOT of minutes at the 4, more than he would at the 3 spot. That's something I'd rather not see.

I think they'll look for trades, but just like this GREAT one they just pulled off they'll be patient and look for a good fit. There's still loads of expiring deals on the roster that can be moved or spend some of the $25+ million of cap space (I'll have to update it now) this summer on a good 4 maybe.

Needless to say, I'm VERY excited about the direction of the franchise now. Lots of cap flexibility, some really good young exciting pieces that FA's may actually want to play with now. I'm looking at you Al Horford.

PacerRaptor
08-11-2010, 10:02 PM
What a steal for you. Is Posey that bad that they had to trade Collison. IDK very confused why the other teams did it. I cant believe you guys got Collison that cheap though. Will your rookie be starting PF or maybe Granger? Or do you see a future trade?
Granger doesnt like playing PF, he has said that himself. Quite frankly, I wouldnt mind seeing McRoberts given the opportunity. I remmeber in the 2 starts McRoberts had last season, he got a double double

Nastradamus
08-12-2010, 12:31 AM
Great trade for you guys. You will miss Murphy short term, but oh well. Collison is a perfect fit for your system, the young PG you have needed. With Granger,Hibbert and George/George plus the young PFs, you have a nice core. Maybe Stephenson too, who will be more of a combo guard with DC here. You are probably out of the playoffs this year IMO, but not for long. I don't think you have the D, experience or frontcourt scoring to make it this year. George may not do much this year either.

Nets fan 93
08-12-2010, 01:39 AM
I haven't seen Posey since he won a ring in Boston, but it's hard to think he fell off THAT hard in such a short time. He didn't have any injuries or anything that I can remember. Anyway, I heard reports the team'd like to buy him out, but Posey isn't pursuing one. I'd be fine with a buyout, clears a 15th roster spot to sign Magnum Rolle.

Right now the starting 4'd probably be Hansbrough, but no one really knows how healthy he is. There's a lot of bigs on the roster (Hansbrough, Jeff Foster, Solo Jones, Hibbert, hopefully Magnum Rolle soon, Josh McRoberts) but not one real quality starting 4 in the bunch obviously. There's clearly a hole there, but it's an easier one to fill than the one we just filled. There could be worse things than giving Hansbrough big minutes this year. With the current roster I think Danny'd see A LOT of minutes at the 4, more than he would at the 3 spot. That's something I'd rather not see.

I think they'll look for trades, but just like this GREAT one they just pulled off they'll be patient and look for a good fit. There's still loads of expiring deals on the roster that can be moved or spend some of the $25+ million of cap space (I'll have to update it now) this summer on a good 4 maybe.

Needless to say, I'm VERY excited about the direction of the franchise now. Lots of cap flexibility, some really good young exciting pieces that FA's may actually want to play with now. I'm looking at you Al Horford.
Oh. Forgot all about Tyler. It would be nice to see him get an opportunity.

InspiredLebowski
08-12-2010, 01:44 AM
Oh. Forgot all about Tyler. It would be nice to see him get an opportunity.There's nothing but it for him now if his head checks out. Either way, ~25ish million worth of expirers/cap space, it's a good day to be a Pacers fan.

catzhernandez
08-12-2010, 01:47 AM
Yayyyyyy!!!!! Happiest I've been in months. Dead serious. I love this team.

insidehoops
08-12-2010, 02:58 AM
The Indianapolis Star reports:

Larry Bird might have just saved his job.
More important, though, the Indiana Pacers president, along with general manager David Morway, just made their long-irrelevant team about a thousand times more interesting and competitive.

Hello, Darren Collison, point guard of the future, short and long term, and a guy who is still playing on his modest rookie contract.

Hello, James Posey, a veteran defensive presence with 3-point shooting capabilities, a championship pedigree and a reasonable $13 million left in the final two years of his deal.

And goodbye, Troy Murphy

InspiredLebowski
08-12-2010, 03:52 AM
The Star report should read "Mike Wells may have saved his job." Wells is a terrible beat writer. He and Kravtiz both. Stop poaching ideas from Pacers Digest and your comment sections.

Anyway, the big story of this deal is JOSH MCROBERTS son! I'm tellin you, give the kid minutes and he's a nice rotational big. Starter? No. I guarantee anyone who wants to be he's a bigger contributor than Hansbrough this season.

Miller Time
08-12-2010, 03:54 AM
Next thing on agenda: Buyout TJ Ford (most likely won't be able to trade him) and trade Dunleavy's expiring contract for a raw project pf.

InspiredLebowski
08-12-2010, 04:01 AM
Next thing on agenda: Buyout TJ Ford (most likely won't be able to trade him) and trade Dunleavy's expiring contract for a raw project pf.I don't see anything realistic worth trading Mikey for (he's a friggin 10.5 million dollar deal), let him expire and use the cap space to sign a 4 man. Foster's the only expirer I think we could get solid value for before the deadline, and that depends on him proving his back works. The rest of the guys I can't immediately see any scenarios that the incoming value's more than the cap space value.

Course I didn't think we'd turn Trey Murphy into one of the most promising young points in the NBA. GOOD JOB LARRY!

silverbax
08-12-2010, 09:45 AM
This seems like a "cobra strike" deal, like Bird was just waiting, saw the opportunity he wanted and took it before anyone realized how good a deal it was for him.

DinoRadja40
08-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Fvck Yeah Fvck Yeah Fvck Yeah, Gonna Be A Good Day, Just Woke Up To This, Best News I Heard Since The 1999-2000 Season, Fvck Yeah Boi!!!! I Am Cryin!!!!!!!!!!!!1
:cheers: :djparty :basketball :party: :hammertime: :dancin :bowdown: :rockon: :banana: :hammerhead:

DinoRadja40
08-12-2010, 10:41 AM
I wonder if these means born ready will be playing the 2, I will ask him later if he has any thoughts and let u know.

pg: Collison, Price
sg: George, Ready, Brush(we should trade him for a big from SAC)
SF: Granger, Dunleavy
pf: Tyler, Rolle, Solo
c: Roy, Jeff

we almost got in the pfs, last year with half this team, we can def. get atleast a 6 seed.

jbot
08-12-2010, 12:44 PM
This seems like a "cobra strike" deal, like Bird was just waiting, saw the opportunity he wanted and took it before anyone realized how good a deal it was for him.
makes me wonder if this trade(or just the high possibility of one) has been in the works for a while though since we seem to have waited forever to sign Rolle. either way, i've really happy it happened.

SEEBASS1234
08-12-2010, 05:33 PM
http://i34.tinypic.com/28k6ob4.jpg
I got half of my wish!

InspiredLebowski
08-12-2010, 08:03 PM
makes me wonder if this trade(or just the high possibility of one) has been in the works for a while though since we seem to have waited forever to sign Rolle. either way, i've really happy it happened.
It kinda seems like it. Sort of seems like us, NO, and Houston had the thing lined up, just needed to find a team to take Murph and Jersey jumped in. I say jumped in because they just signed Sean May a few days ago, gotta think they wouldn't have done that if they knew this'd happen.

jbot
08-13-2010, 01:07 AM
http://i34.tinypic.com/28k6ob4.jpg
I got half of my wish!
:cheers:

Nastradamus
08-13-2010, 01:52 PM
I wonder if these means born ready will be playing the 2, I will ask him later if he has any thoughts and let u know.

pg: Collison, Price
sg: George, Ready, Brush(we should trade him for a big from SAC)
SF: Granger, Dunleavy
pf: Tyler, Rolle, Solo
c: Roy, Jeff

we almost got in the pfs, last year with half this team, we can def. get atleast a 6 seed.

Sac is keeping their bigs and George will not start til maybe the AS break if anything. Rush and Dunleavy will battle to start at SG. George will just try to prove he belongs.

loot
08-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Sac is keeping their bigs and George will not start til maybe the AS break if anything. Rush and Dunleavy will battle to start at SG. George will just try to prove he belongs.

Maybe true about sac, but George is def. going to be over Dunleavy in the rotation, and will either start at 2, or take over just after the start of the season.

jbot
08-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Maybe true about sac, but George is def. going to be over Dunleavy in the rotation, and will either start at 2, or take over just after the start of the season.
i agree. Dunleavy is done. Doneleavy.

InspiredLebowski
08-13-2010, 11:25 PM
I think people are really overestimating George's readiness. If we're clearly out of it around the All Star break or something, by all means move him into the starting lineup and give him big minutes. But if we're really wanting to get into the playoffs starting two rookies (with effectively Hansbrough) isn't the way to do it. He doesn't provide anything Rush won't right now, just at a lesser level. He'll be a good spotup shooter, very active defender in passing lanes but will probably struggle on ball. I'm not saying he's going to top out at Rush, just that I don't think he can contribute at that level right now. If you want to give him starter minutes he's going to turn it over A LOT, he has very poor ballhandling but still overdribbles.

He's a really nice prospect full of potential, but he's nowhere near ready for big minutes on a playoff team.

Granny Danger
08-14-2010, 08:16 AM
wwwooooooowww this trade is so damn perfect.
Can't believe NO didn't ask for more.
I even made a similar trade on 2k10 giving up Hibbert/1st/Troy for Okafor/ Collison and thougth it was unrealistic.

Future looks bright with Collison/Granger/Hibbert as a potential big three.
:party: :party: :party:

Granny Danger
08-14-2010, 08:23 AM
i agree. Dunleavy is done. Doneleavy.
:roll:

SEEBASS1234
08-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that more pacer fans are on this board since the trade. Kinda weird...shame on you guys being ashamed of being a pacers fan

jbot
08-14-2010, 05:49 PM
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that more pacer fans are on this board since the trade. Kinda weird...shame on you guys being ashamed of being a pacers fan
they coming outta the woodwork. :lol

loot
08-14-2010, 08:39 PM
I am also dino.....

Granny Danger
08-15-2010, 08:23 AM

More? There are like 5 guys on this board...
But you're right, i would care less about the pacers if no trade happened.
Now let's get this wagon rolling!

Miller Time
08-15-2010, 12:16 PM
I am also dino.....

Why are you posting on Loot's old account instead of your own?

loot
08-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Why are you posting on Loot's old account instead of your own?

Because I can.

Miller Time
08-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Because I can.

well it makes no sense and just confuses us other posters who think you really are Loot.

loot
08-15-2010, 02:22 PM
well it makes no sense and just confuses us other posters who think you really are Loot.

That sucks for you.

Miller Time
08-15-2010, 03:45 PM
That sucks for you.

wow, what is up with the hostility, woke up on the wrong side of the bed?

loot
08-15-2010, 03:59 PM
:lol

jbot
08-19-2010, 09:53 PM
just watched a video of Collison's 1st day at Conseco FH. what the hell is going on w/ his right hand? it was wrapped up like crazy.

InspiredLebowski
08-19-2010, 11:03 PM
just watched a video of Collison's 1st day at Conseco FH. what the hell is going on w/ his right hand? it was wrapped up like crazy. Broke his pinky playing ball, he''ll be fine in a couple weeks, plenty of time for training camp. No biggie.

jbot
08-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Broke his pinky playing ball, he''ll be fine in a couple weeks, plenty of time for training camp. No biggie.
:cheers: glad to hear.

ihatetimthomas
08-20-2010, 12:31 AM
I am still amazed the Pacers finally got a real nice young prospect. Collison was a beast when Paul was out, and he is a very high IQ player. Playing 4 years at UCLA really stood out his rookie season. Great for the Pacers and great for the fans. He is going to be able to set the playe for his teammates, and he has an ability to score I did not expect. Granger will benefit from him on the court and maybe he can stop chucking those 3's.

I believe the Pacers will still have enough cap to make a splash next season. Just let the expiring contracts expire unless legit prospects come their way. Dunleavy has been very injury riddled, I don't expect much from him. But I wouldnt be surprised to see him post 12/3/3 if healthy.

Hibbert is only going to get better, and the departure of Murphy really opens the doors for Tyler Hansbrough. We will get to see what he really is made of.

InspiredLebowski
08-20-2010, 08:46 AM
I believe the Pacers will still have enough cap to make a splash next season. Just let the expiring contracts expire unless legit prospects come their way.I think that's the plan really. Sure maybe some outstanding offer will come their way again (still amazed all it took for DC was taking Posey's manageable bad contract and Murphy), but there's expirers who happen to be overpaid but still offer some legitimate top tier skills (Murphy's rebounding and 3s) and then just overpaid expirers. I can't see anyone giving up a prospect worth a second look for Ford/Dunleavy/Foster, there's not many cash strapped teams anymore and none of them could give a contender "that extra bump." Maybe Foster but he's got to show he can still play. And then of course matching money has to come in, which in all likelihood means taking on bad deals. We can't afford that.

Besides, people see all the money coming off the books and say "hey we've got 26ish million dollars to spend next summer!" Which is technically true, but there's a Hibbert extension coming after next season, and maybe one for Rush, though his wouldn't be a major raise like Roy I assume. Also, we can't sustain a payroll just below the tax threshold. Even if you don't even consider the extensions that need to be given the payroll has just been too high for the franchise the last few years. I could certainly be wrong but I don't think it's financially feasible for the team to have around the same amount of payroll as we've had recently going forward, not until there's actually a reason for it. $65ish million is just too much.

Nastradamus
08-21-2010, 02:50 PM
People, before you get too excited, don't forget JO'B's offense is not friendly to dribble drive PGs like Collison in the way that NO's was. He has killed guys like this before.

InspiredLebowski
08-23-2010, 08:30 AM
People, before you get too excited, don't forget JO'B's offense is not friendly to dribble drive PGs like Collison in the way that NO's was. He has killed guys like this before. This is true, he's never had a PG average over 6 assists (around there). I think anyone who's expecting him to put up 18/9 or whatever he did in place of Paul's going to be disappointed. I'm thinking more along the lines of 14/7 (he'll be the first!), which'd be fine. Thankfully JOB's gone after the season.

I also don't think this move gets us much closer the playoffs than we already were. If it'd been Ford, Dunleavy, any of the expirers BUT Murphy, I'd probably say not making the postseason would be a disappointment. Much as I dislike the way the team used Murphy so much we just lost a consistent double double (even if you want to argue how he got the boards) and are pretty unproven upfront. One of the rookies is going to have to come out really strong from day one, like almost ROY type strong, or Hans/McBob have to make some pretty huge leaps. I like both players, but neither is a starter on a very good team.

That's not to say I think this was a dumb trade or anything, I'm still jumping for joy over it. It's put us in a much better situation going forward, it's just not an immediate "we're a lock for the playoffs" move. If I were a betting man I wouldn't put money on it. We'll see if Legend can work some more magic on the frontcourt though.

ihatetimthomas
08-25-2010, 01:03 AM
Do you think JOB is even going to last the season? I think its clear to everyone and the players that he is a lame duck and they lost faith in him over a year ago. Granted the team makeup is a factor in his struggles as a coach, but he has absolutely nothing in his tenure and I would expect him to be bounced earlier than next off season

InspiredLebowski
08-25-2010, 01:31 AM
If it weren't for the recent coaching changes, I'd say no, he's gone mid-season. But we just brought in two JOB guys in Walter McCarty and Vitaly Potapenko (yes, THAT Waltah McCarty and THAT Vitaly Potapenko) as assistants. Frank Vogel's another assistant that's been on O'Briens staff at all three of his NBA stops. Jay DeFruscio I know little about other than this is his first year in the NBA after a long D3 career, so that's not a legit replacement.

That only leaves Dan Burke and the assumption that if JOB's fired the majority of the staff goes with him. The franchise couldn't afford to not promote from within. It's too bad Lester Conner got out while he could in the offseason.