PDA

View Full Version : Worst Big Name Player Trade of all-time?

Rendezvous32
08-24-2010, 10:57 AM
By this I mean, What big time player was traded to a team? and it ended up being a bad idea basically. Right now, the most current one I can think of is Jason Kidd to the Dallas Mavericks. That was quite possibly the dumbest and most pointless trade I've ever seen. Mavericks were better off keeping Devin Harris as their young developing PG than having the old Mr. Ason Kidd on their team.

Anybody else want to nominate other terrible trades?

Apocalyptic0n3
08-24-2010, 11:48 AM
By this I mean, What big time player was traded to a team? and it ended up being a bad idea basically. Right now, the most current one I can think of is Jason Kidd to the Dallas Mavericks. That was quite possibly the dumbest and most pointless trade I've ever seen. Mavericks were better off keeping Devin Harris as their young developing PG than having the old Mr. Ason Kidd on their team.

Mavs got better with Kidd. Harris, meanwhile, hasn't really developed much more than he had in Dallas. And I really don't think Dallas cares too much about Harris at this point with Beaubois and Barea ready to duke it out for the starting spot once Kidd is gone.

Since you didn't say it had to be NBA, I'll say the Eric Lindros trade. Lindros for Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Ron Hextall, Jocelyn Thibault, $15,000,000, and Chris Simon. Honestly the most lopsided trade in the history of sports right there.

In the NBA, the one that I am sure everyone will be quick to go to is the Gasol trade. But Marc Gasol is looking like a future perennial all star, so maybe Memphis wasn't screwed over as bad as everyone thought.

The Stackhouse trade for Washington and the Hill trade for Orlando turned into disasters too. Hamilton quickly became a premier guard in the league while Stackhouse faded and Hill got injured while Ben Wallace became one of the best defenders to ever play the game.

Rendezvous32
08-24-2010, 11:51 AM
In the NBA, the one that I am sure everyone will be quick to go to is the Gasol trade. But Marc Gasol is looking like a future perennial all star, so maybe Memphis wasn't screwed over as bad as everyone thought.

I'm talking about teams that got a star player and it turns out it was a bad idea to get that star basically. Jason Kidd is clearly the answer. If I recall correctly, the Mavericks were 4th in the West before Kidd joined. Then Kidd joined, and the Mavericks ended up in the 7th seed and got eliminated in the first round as Chris Paul dominated Jason Kidd.

Yung D-Will
08-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Well for the Pistons I was thinking the A.I-Billups trade

FCN
08-24-2010, 12:04 PM
AI/Billups is definitely up there.

For my team it was probably the Ron Harper for Danny Ferry trade.

Some might say it was trading Kevin Johnson, but I don't agree with that. Great as KJ was, we got Nance for him, and already had Price...

B-Low
08-24-2010, 01:35 PM
Iverson to Detroit has to be the worst I've ever seen. Detroit loses their leader, their finals MVP and eventually their playoff spot, and gains Iverson for a few games before he's gone too. I still have no idea why that trade happened from Det's standpoint.

Se
Wilt Chamberlain.

end thread

Horatio33
the Spurs trading Rodman to the Bulls for Will Perdue.

Wilt got traded twice in his prime for a bunch of stiffs. says as much about Wilt as it does for the stiffs.

Shaq for Marion. no team benefitted.

Rowe
08-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Iverson to Detroit has to be the worst I've ever seen. Detroit loses their leader, their finals MVP and eventually their playoff spot, and gains Iverson for a few games before he's gone too. I still have no idea why that trade happened from Det's standpoint.

Definetly Iverson-Billups deal.

What made the deal even worse is that they acquired Iverson and then mismanaged him to the point he couldnt play. They made Rip disgruntled by trying him as a 6th Man. They turned their team over to Stuckey, who has yet to show he is a PG rather than SG.

Then to add on to the failure, they used the cap space Iverson's contract gave them to overpay Gordon & Villanueva instead of waiting until 2010.

PowerGlove
08-24-2010, 01:49 PM
AI-Billups?

WTF?

Vince Carter-TRASH was the worst ever.

Rendezvous32
08-24-2010, 01:49 PM
AI-Billups?

WTF?

Vince Carter-TRASH was the worst ever.
It's about who got the Worst Star in a trade ever. It turns out to be pure garbage basically. Kidd, Iverson, etc. all have to be up there. Maybe even Steve Francis deal.

PowerGlove
08-24-2010, 01:54 PM
It's about who got the Worst Star in a trade ever. It turns out to be pure garbage basically. Kidd, Iverson, etc. all have to be up there. Maybe even Steve Francis deal.

Vince Carter's trade to NJ was way worse. The Raptors received Alonzo Mourning(who was bought out for 9 million and went to Miami to win a chip two years later), Eric and Aaron Williams with some first rounders.

What did we do with those? I think we traded one and got Joey Graham with the other. SMH.

Rendezvous32
08-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Vince Carter's trade to NJ was way worse. The Raptors received Alonzo Mourning(who was bought out for 9 million and went to Miami to win a chip two years later), Eric and Aaron Williams with some first rounders.

What did we do with those? I think we traded one and got Joey Graham with the other. SMH.
It's about the result of what the star did. Like Kidd has been pure garbage as a Maverick, Iverson was pure garbage as a Piston, Francis was ok in his first season with Orlando, but then pure garbage after that. Can you read? Carter was pretty damn good in New Jersey.

Kingsfans818
08-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Webber to Philli

we trade Webber's large expiring contract(2 years left) for Kenny Thomas's unmovable piece of shit 5 year deal which is along as large along with crapy pieces like Corliss Williamson and Brian Skinner

necya
08-24-2010, 01:58 PM
the kidd-harris is not ??!!

AI-Billups for sure
the big trade at 3 teams in 97 kemp-brandon-baker : this trade was firstly useless and all those players had 2 years then disappeared. tragic, as i liked those 3 players with their own teams...

PowerGlove
08-24-2010, 01:59 PM
It's about the result of what the star did. Like Kidd has been pure garbage as a Maverick, Iverson was pure garbage as a Piston, Francis was ok in his first season with Orlando, but then pure garbage after that. Can you read? Carter was pretty damn good in New Jersey.
So what about the other side of the trade? Alonzo didnt even show up. He was supposed to be the big name in return.

Collie
08-24-2010, 02:00 PM
This threads fails without a mention of the Kemp-Baker-Brandon trade. All 3 careers went down the drain shortly thereafter.

Gabuyaux
08-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Why ask a question when you just strike down the opinions of others and emphasized that your original answer is the only right one?

Desperado
08-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Scottie Pippen for Olden Polynice.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1008/scottie.pippen.rare.photos/images/pippen-draft.jpg

I know Pippen wasn't a big name player at that time but that still has to go down as one of the worst trades in NBA history.

Also Charles Barkley for Jeff Hornacek, Tim Perry and Andrew Lang :facepalm

no pun intended
08-24-2010, 02:23 PM
How could anyone forget the infamous Kareem Abdul-Jabbar trade to the Lakers?

Snoop_Cat
08-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Why ask a question when you just strike down the opinions of others and emphasized that your original answer is the only right one?

My thoughts exactly.

jbryan1984
08-24-2010, 02:31 PM
How bout Robert Traylor for Dirk? Can you imagine what Milwaukee would had been like back then? Cassell, Ray Allen, Glenn Robinson, Dirk.

wang4three
08-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Kidd has been fine in Dallas and as a Net fan, I've not been happy with Harris at all. And it's not like Devin's that young. Guy is injury prone and heading to his latter 20s with a game predicated on speed and not mentality.

momo
08-24-2010, 03:02 PM
This threads fails without a mention of the Kemp-Baker-Brandon trade. All 3 careers went down the drain shortly thereafter.

Good one.

Kobe8
08-24-2010, 03:08 PM
The Shaq Trade From The Lakers To Those 2 Other teams.

Caron Butler, Lamar Odom, Brian Grant

At the time Butler wasnt that GREAT, Lamar was a So-So ..

Have no comments for grant.

gts
08-24-2010, 03:48 PM
How could anyone forget the infamous Kareem Abdul-Jabbar trade to the Lakers?as a laker fan i see nothing wrong with that trade....

the thread is not about lopsided trades it's about trades that sent big time players to other teams and the player fizzled out...

at least i think that's what the thread is about

Nelson14
08-24-2010, 03:54 PM
not the worst trade and not the biggest name, but ariza for brian cook was really shitty in hindsight

Papaya Petee
08-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Shaquille O'Neal for Shawn Marion whiched turned into Jermaine which turned into 5 PPG on 15% vs Celtics which turned into nothing.

Just kidding, we got LeBron for that :D

MeLO MvP 15
08-24-2010, 05:22 PM
well when the Nuggets and Pistons both got AI... they expected much bigger things

Ruh-Roh
08-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Does Kwame-Gasol count?

Jasper
08-24-2010, 05:56 PM
[QUOTE=Se

crisoner
08-24-2010, 05:59 PM
I 2nd that , with a 2nd worse trade Bucks - Jabbar

3rd : Kobe to the Lakers

4th Bucks - Dirk

I think us Laker fans are really happy with that.

Jasper
08-24-2010, 06:01 PM

I am going to disagree.
Your point is well taken , because before last years performances by both of these players , I thought Mav's were nuts reaquiring Kidd.
But after Kidd learned about water , he not only solidified the Mavs play , by that non- committal leadership from a 7' ,, but Kidd actually started playing some seriously good ball mid to late season.
How would anyone think a PG at his age , play that well - majority would never of thought that.
Now for Devin's year ... I am sure he wishes another trade would go thru. :D

Lebron23
08-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Dennis Rodman -Will Perdue Trade

ShaqAttack3234
08-24-2010, 06:16 PM
Kemp to the Cavs and then the Blazers. Played pretty well at first and the Cavs were in the first round a couple of times, but he was rapidly gaining weight, drinking more and losing his explosiveness and as a result, he quickly declined from an all-star after a couple of seasons and was pretty mcuh done by about age 30. He gave the Blazers almost nothing. After a while, the only thing he could do offensively was shoot jumpers and he wasn't even doing that particularly well.

Ikill
08-24-2010, 07:07 PM
they needed change the team just kept loosing in the ECF they had to take the risk.

magnax1
08-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Shaq for Marion was probably one of the most idiotic trades ever on Phoenix part. The AI-Billups trade would make sense if AI didn't fall off so badly that year. Kidd for Marbury was sort of a head scratcher to me.

Rendezvous32
08-24-2010, 07:33 PM
as a laker fan i see nothing wrong with that trade....

the thread is not about lopsided trades it's about trades that sent big time players to other teams and the player fizzled out...

at least i think that's what the thread is about
100% correct. I should have described it that way, but I couldn't think of the right words.

Alhazred
08-24-2010, 08:27 PM
Shawn Kemp to Cleveland for reasons already mentioned.

kentatm
08-24-2010, 08:59 PM
If you think Kidd has been garbage for the Mavs you clearly don't watch them much.

Harris is pretty much the same player he was in Dallas except his defense has gotten worse. He is still just as injury prone and still has a weak outside shot. he was hurt when Dallas traded him (and was out for several games after) BTW so its asinine to blame Kidd for Dallas slipping the standings that year. That was the last year of Avery when the team was practically in open revolt against him.

InspiredLebowski
08-24-2010, 09:05 PM
JO for TJ Ford/change/picks was pretty bad for both teams, actual centerpiece player wise anyway.

jlauber
08-24-2010, 09:37 PM
the Spurs trading Rodman to the Bulls for Will Perdue.

Wilt got traded twice in his prime for a bunch of stiffs. says as much about Wilt as it does for the stiffs.

Shaq for Marion. no team benefitted.

Not sure what your point is, but let's take a look at it from the teams that RECEIVED Chamberlain's point of view.

He was traded from the Warriors to the Sixers for three players in the middle of the 64-65 season. He took a Sixer team that had missed the playoffs the year before to the playoffs, where they knocked off the 48-32 Royals, 3-1. He then led that 40-40 Philly team to a game seven, one-point, loss to the 62-18 Celtics. Meanwhile, the Warriors finished 17-63.

Over the course of the next three seasons, Philadelphia had the BEST record in the NBA EVERY season. AND, they not only set a then record W-L mark of 68-13 in 66-67, they rolled to a title (at the expense of his former Warrior team.)

Wilt was traded by the Sixers before the start of the 68-69 season. He led the Lakers to their best-ever record of 55-27 in his very first year...AND, a game seven, two-point loss in the Finals against the Celtics (and with Chamberlain sitting on the bench in the last five minutes of that loss.) Meanwhile, Philadephia dropped from 62-20 down to 55-27. Furthermore, the Sixers were eliminated in the very first round of the playoffs.

In Wilt's next four years in LA, the Lakers went to THREE Finals, and a Western Conference Finals, while the Sixers got progressively worse. Not only that, but Wilt led LA to a then NBA best-ever record of 69-13 (including a 33 game winning streak), and another title. In his last year he led the Lakers to a 60-22 record, and yet another Finals appearance. How about those Sixers that year? 9-73!

So, basically Wilt, in 3 1/2 years with one team, took them to the best record in the league THREE seasons, including an NBA best ever record, THREE ECF's, and a world championship. In his five years with the Lakers, he took them to FOUR Finals (and a WCF), as well as a then NBA best ever record, and another title (Los Angeles FIRST title in their history BTW.) Meanwhile, the teams he left went to crap.

If that is what you mean by "says as much about Wilt as it does for the stiffs", then, yes, you are right.

PHILA
08-24-2010, 09:45 PM
The Warriors trade was a number of things in mainly because they had Thurmond and financial problems. There were also reports that he was having heart problems and as can be seen in the video interview below he wasn't sure himself if he would be back for the '66 season. He even told his good friend Sixers owner Ike Richman not to trade for him only to retire in a few months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC_PwadO6jU

The Sixers trade was unfortunate. Ramsey had his part in breaking up that team as well. Had Ike Richman not passed away, chances are Wilt would have never worn a Lakers uniform. He basically demanded out, apparently declaring there were only 2 coaches he would play for after Hannum's departure. Frank McGuire or himself as player-coach. Had he stayed he even said he would have won several more rings. Luke Jackson may have not hurt his Achilles (perhaps due to the weight he put on to play the center as a result of Wilt's departure). Who knows how good he might have been. Chet would almost certainly be in Hall (still should be). Sixers would have had a dynasty into the early 70's. Even if Hannum re signed after the '68 loss or had Wilt been made player-coach he would have stayed and indeed won a few more. People who have seen that team will testify that Wilt/Luke were easily the strongest F-C combo in the history of the NBA and Luke would (like Chamberlain) make a habit of tossing powerful guys like Reed & Embry around like feathers. Reed apparently would tremble out of fear in the MSG tunnel just prior to a Sixers/Knicks game at the mere sight of Luke Jackson.

Someone asked Chamberlain what it would be like playing with Elgin Baylor, Jerry West and Gail Goodrich on the floor together when he joined the Los Angeles Lakers. He was asked if one basketball would be enough. Chamberlain looked to the sky, and asked the questioner to see the stars in the sky. He pointed out how those stars are able to exist harmoniously in the sky and said the stars on the team could exist as easily.

As now well known, a great player does not necessarily make a great coach.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...71/4/index.htm (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1077071/4/index.htm)

http://i41.tinypic.com/2z6fqmo.jpg[I]

That's just the beginning. Let me take you inside a secret practice session of the Philadelphia 76ers and we'll see how this grabs you:

We're divided up into two squads for scrimmaging. We're inside Convention Hall and it is big and dark and cold and empty, and when the ball slaps into your hands it makes a ringing, hollow sound up against the ceiling. We're wearing a sort of catch-me-come-kiss-me collection of bits and pieces of old uniforms, and we look like the orphans' picnic. Coach Dolph Schayes is trying to teach us basketball fundamentals (and I think we'll agree right here that it is a little late for that sort of thing. If we don't know the fundamentals by now, we're all dead). Suddenly, on a fast break or a play under the basket, Dolph sees something none of us can see. He stops everything. Tweet.

"All right," he will bark. "Yellow team take three laps around the court."
And off we go

jlauber
08-24-2010, 09:57 PM
It sure appears that a number of posters here have read Simmon's BLATANTLY anti-Wilt book, "The Book of Basketball."

monkeypox
08-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Does Kwame-Gasol count?

No on several different levels. First, neither were big names at the time. Kwame was already one of the biggest busts of all time, Pau was on the verge of permanent journeyman status with the Grizz. No one was willing to even offer a decent package of expirings for him. 2nd, this thread is about big name players that were traded and expected to do big things for their team, but ultimately fizzled out.

So no, since it in no way applies to the thread, it doesn't count.

hoopaddict08
08-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Definetly Iverson-Billups deal.

What made the deal even worse is that they acquired Iverson and then mismanaged him to the point he couldnt play. They made Rip disgruntled by trying him as a 6th Man. They turned their team over to Stuckey, who has yet to show he is a PG rather than SG.

Then to add on to the failure, they used the cap space Iverson's contract gave them to overpay Gordon & Villanueva instead of waiting until 2010.

They mismanaged Iverson to the point he couldn't play? How? He started all the way up to the point he quit. Also what the hell would waiting till 2010 have done? Got us........????who? Joe Johnson and Carlos Boozer doesn't quite appeal to me. Especially considering their both going on 29 years old, and neither would have put us over the top. Gordon and Villanueva are younger and cheaper. Boozer will be getting almost 17 million by the time he is 33. Not worth it.

I will go with the Grant Hill for Ben Wallace, and Stackhouse for Hamilton trades.

hoopaddict08
08-24-2010, 10:29 PM
Kwame Brown for Caron Butler. Good job Lakers.

Blzrfn
08-25-2010, 01:12 AM
1976: Blazers trade Moses Malone, who they got in the ABA dispersal draft, to the Buffalo Braves for their 78 first round pick.

After what happened to Walton, this turned out to be a huge mistake. Even at the time, Walton was having injury problems. The Blazer brass didn't seem to take that into account enough. If they would have, maybe they would have kept Malone.

After Portland traded him, Buffalo turned around and traded him to Houston for two first rounders.

Finn T-Mac
08-25-2010, 02:23 AM

Oh boy :no:

Crystallas
08-25-2010, 03:18 AM
Danny Manning for Dominique Wilkins. I think Nique had a few more good years left on him, and Manning shined in the dump he was in. They were better off not traded. We as the fans, lost on that one.

kentatm
08-25-2010, 04:46 AM
No on several different levels. First, neither were big names at the time. Kwame was already one of the biggest busts of all time, Pau was on the verge of permanent journeyman status with the Grizz. No one was willing to even offer a decent package of expirings for him. 2nd, this thread is about big name players that were traded and expected to do big things for their team, but ultimately fizzled out.

So no, since it in no way applies to the thread, it doesn't count.

Thats a bunch of BS. Pau was busy leading weak teams to 50 win years back then. He was not going to end up a journeyman. That deal they got ended up being ok enough with Marc coming back and the Grizz have stated they would not have made that trade if Marc hadn't been coming back

Magic bird
04-20-2012, 05:34 AM
:banana:

JMT
04-20-2012, 03:45 PM
well when the Nuggets and Pistons both got AI... they expected much bigger things

He was a 25ppg, 7 assist guy in Denver, shooting a career best 46% from the floor.

Playing alongside Iverson, Anthony had what are arguably his two best all-round seasons.

What do you think Denver was expecting???

33teeth
04-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Kings got Chris Webber for the remnants of Mitch Richmond and Otis Thorpe. Not the worst, but pretty good for the Kings.

PTstyle272
04-20-2012, 03:54 PM
JO for TJ Ford/change/picks was pretty bad for both teams, actual centerpiece player wise anyway.

Didnt we get Hibbert out of that deal or am I mistaken?

PTstyle272
04-20-2012, 03:55 PM
What did Detroit give up for Rasheed Wallace?

knickswin
04-20-2012, 04:00 PM
this deron williams deal could wind up looking really foolish if he walks this summer.

hassano
04-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Vince Carter for next to nothing, especially considering Alonzo didn't play in Toronto and how great Carter was back then has to be up there.

SpecialQue
04-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Not really a trade, but the Clippers had to send three great players to Portland when they signed Bill Walton. Walton barely played during his time as a Clipper.

Nash
04-20-2012, 06:13 PM
One month ago it would have been the Carmelo trade :D