PDA

View Full Version : Lebron is like Magic Johnson

KG5MVP
08-27-2010, 01:09 AM
To me, Lebron and Magic are very similar players, Lebron is a better scorer, while Magic is a better passer.

Lebron has accomplished some major stuff in his first few years in the league, nothing short of what Magic has done.

If Lebron had Kareem and other all star players Magic had, I am sure that he would be able to win just as many rings if not more.

NoGunzJustSkillz
08-27-2010, 01:10 AM
oh i agree 100%. i've been saying this since he came into the league, but i thought a lot of people thought the same.

Batz
08-27-2010, 01:13 AM
The only thing that those two have in common is that they're black, tall and can pass. Other than that they are nothing alike.

opps
08-27-2010, 01:15 AM
To me, Lebron and Magic are very similar players, Lebron is a better scorer, while Magic is a better passer.

Lebron has accomplished some major stuff in his first few years in the league, nothing short of what Magic has done.

If Lebron had Kareem and other all star players Magic had, I am sure that he would be able to win just as many rings if not more.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol more like "very short" of what Magic has done

no pun intended
08-27-2010, 01:22 AM
The only thing that those two have in common is that they're black, tall and can pass. Other than that they are nothing alike.
And they are each capable of playing each position maybe.

SinJackal
08-27-2010, 01:25 AM
'eh, I dunno. I'd probably take LeBron over Magic if I had the choice to draft them to be honest.

Magic's had a better career than LeBron has thus far though, obviously.

TheLogo
08-27-2010, 01:27 AM
They are nothing alike.

Magic can play every position because of his skill and size. He had great handles and probably the best PG ever. He had size that would allow him to play the front court.

Magic had post skills to play PF or Center, if he had to. These are the skills that Lebron lacks to play all positions.

NoGunzJustSkillz
08-27-2010, 01:27 AM
exactly

jaydacris
08-27-2010, 01:29 AM
Kobe is like Michael Jordan

plowking
Lerbon's a better individual player.

TheLogo
exactly

How do you play PF or Center without a post game?

Batz
Well that too. Still, when I watch Lebron play, rarely do I see Magic. When I watch Magic play I rare see Lebron. They're incredibly different. But hey, that's just me.

DixieNourmous
08-27-2010, 01:40 AM

^ this

Anyone that says they have similarities never really saw Magic play.

TAZORAC
08-27-2010, 01:41 AM

Lebron has a better jump shot then magic, is faster, stronger, more explosive AND a better scorer.

NoGunzJustSkillz
08-27-2010, 01:44 AM
good, ur back. u have a lot of arguments to settle. get to work kid.

no pun intended
08-27-2010, 01:46 AM
good, ur back. u have a lot of arguments to settle. get to work kid.
haha.

jrong
08-27-2010, 02:23 AM

I usually agree with you, but this? Just plain no. Magic to me is the #2 GOAT.

plowking
08-27-2010, 02:31 AM
I usually agree with you, but this? Just plain no. Magic to me is the #2 GOAT.

Are you seriously telling me that Lebron isn't a better basketball player than Magic? He might not have all the awards and accomplishments yet, though he sure as hell is a better player.
As was Bird who during Magic's time resembled someone close to Lebron's skill set (although slightly less athletic).

In fact, out of all in my top 10, I think Magic individually might be the worst out of all of them. He just is fortunate enough to have played with great players and achieved a lot in his career.

Tide
08-27-2010, 02:32 AM
Lebron's so much more athletic than Magic.

All Net
08-27-2010, 06:07 AM

:wtf:

whatever666
08-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Well yea....... Lebron has been compared to Magic since he was like 18 years old and has been dubbed as the first ever "Next Magic Johnson". He certainly looked like a Magic clone in his first NBA game, starting PG and diming out 9 assists in a hurry... passing up open dunks and everything just to make his teammates better and more happy.

Afterall, how many 6

PurpleChuck
08-27-2010, 09:34 AM
In a nutshell:

Lebron - Freak Athletic but dumb version of Magic Johnson (Still beast though)
Magic - Smart High IQ version of Magic Johnson

plowking
08-27-2010, 09:40 AM
In a nutshell:

Lebron - Freak Athletic but dumb version of Magic Johnson (Still beast though)
Magic - Smart High IQ version of Magic Johnson

In what way is Lebron a dumb basketballer? Unless you were talking outside of basketball?

PurpleChuck
08-27-2010, 09:44 AM
In what way is Lebron a dumb basketballer? Unless you were talking outside of basketball?

Outside of course don't get me wrong, Lebron's passing and court vision is underrated because of his scoring.

I mean they're like a different variation of Magic (tho I know it's weird to compare Magic with himself as a constant)

2 versions of Magic, one is a Diva. As for bball skills and play, very similar...

jrong
08-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Are you seriously telling me that Lebron isn't a better basketball player than Magic? He might not have all the awards and accomplishments yet, though he sure as hell is a better player.
As was Bird who during Magic's time resembled someone close to Lebron's skill set (although slightly less athletic).

In fact, out of all in my top 10, I think Magic individually might be the worst out of all of them. He just is fortunate enough to have played with great players and achieved a lot in his career.

You are colossally underrating Magic. If only the offensive side of the ball were considered, I'd have him as #1 GOAT. Defense is what gives Jordan the nod.

juju151111
08-27-2010, 10:03 AM

:facepalm

plowking
08-27-2010, 10:07 AM
You are colossally underrating Magic. If only the offensive side of the ball were considered, I'd have him as #1 GOAT. Defense is what gives Jordan the nod.

And you're severely overrating him. In what way is he a better offensive player than Jordan? Scoring in basketball is the hardest thing to do and the most important. A great scorer will always be better than a great passer. That is clear cut fact. And they will in fact be more dominant.

Even a low post scorer is more valuable than a great passer. Shaq/Duncan/Hakeem work like hell to get open, bumping/fighting in the post for position trying to get that lob over the top or the alley oop. It's much easier, and makes you look a lot better when you have a guy that can do that for a point guard.

Wilt, Bird, MJ, Shaq, Kareem, Olajuwon, Kobe were all in my opinion better offensive options and players.

plowking
08-27-2010, 10:10 AM

Nice way to elaborate on your post.

Magic during his peak play of 5 seasons or so was a 19-6-12 guy. Lebron has proven to be a 30-7-7 guy.

I can't see anything close to facepalm worthy in my response as opposed to yours...

Ikill
08-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Outside of course don't get me wrong, Lebron's passing and court vision is underrated because of his scoring.

I mean they're like a different variation of Magic (tho I know it's weird to compare Magic with himself as a constant)

2 versions of Magic, one is a Diva. As for bball skills and play, very similar...
Lebrons passing and court vision is overrated he makes his teammates worse and has the ball in his hands too much

plowking
08-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Lebrons passing and court vision is overrated he makes his teammates worse and has the ball in his hands too much

How did he make that team worse if they won 66 games and 60+ again a season later?

Do you realize how insane it is to win 60+, let alone 55+ wins with that team that he had?

jrong
08-27-2010, 10:25 AM
And you're severely overrating him. In what way is he a better offensive player than Jordan?

His combination of playmaking and scoring. We're talking about a guy who averaged 23/13 in one of his MVP years (1989 I think).

Jordan was a fantastic passer and extremely underrated in this department, but he wasn't even the playmaker that Bron/Wade are simply because he wasn't as inclined to give up the basketball. He was more like Kobe.

whatever666
08-27-2010, 10:32 AM

1. Lebrons passing and court vision overrated!?!? hahahaha... This is the guy that averaged the most assists (8.6 apg) in NBA history by a non-PG... no SG/SF/PF/C has ever averaged more assists... not even Magic Johnson could average more assists when he started SF/PF and he could average more if he wanted to! Especially if he went back to play PG all the time!

Lebron is easily one of the premier passers in the NBA.... Speaking of Lebrons Raw passing ability & Court Vision.... watch and learn =

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52oy9_G83rY&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvwE6GWiur8&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnq8OpeVyJM&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LaJRxnPliE&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPr3NNGL_fg&feature=player_embedded

Lebron started PG this season 9 times in a row... during that time he averaged 29.3 ppg, 8.1 rpg and 12.1 assists a game.

2. Lebron dominating the ball to much!?! What? Is that what people call point guards or point-forwards today??? Lebron is a point-forward, one of the best passers in the NBA and most certainly always the best passer & ballhandler in HIS team who is extremly unselfish and always makes the right plays whether he decides to score or pass, ofcourse he should have the ball!!! :facepalm

plowking
08-27-2010, 10:34 AM
His combination of playmaking and scoring. We're talking about a guy who averaged 23/13 in one of his MVP years (1989 I think).

Jordan was a fantastic passer and extremely underrated in this department, but he wasn't even the playmaker that Bron/Wade are simply because he wasn't as inclined to give up the basketball. He was more like Kobe.

Tim Hardaway averaged 22/11 and KJ averaged 23/11. With that said I would never have them near MJ as an offensive player.

At the end of a game when it's on the line, Magic as a player is not more dangerous than the players I previously mentioned who are better at putting the ball in the bucket. That and the fact that scorers are more important than passers is why I don't think Magic is better than some of the players I mentioned.

Ikill
08-27-2010, 10:37 AM
How did he make that team worse if they won 66 games and 60+ again a season later?

Do you realize how insane it is to win 60+, let alone 55+ wins with that team that he had?
With the team he had thats just it his team wasn't bad Lebron made them look bad. The team built around Lebron was perfect for him and slashing it kept driving lanes open for him and when he went to the basket he was able to get easy assists because almost everyone on the team could shoot. Do you see how when Lebron averaged 9 assists this year and do you see how all of his teammates started to play worse mo williams went from 18 ppg to 16 Shaq went from 18 to 12 Jamison from 21 to 16 Z from 13 to 7 west from 12 to 9 Anthony Parker 11 to 7. All these players were considered good before they got to Cleveland. From what i've see Lebron holds the ball for most of the shot clock then either goes to the net or chucks a 3 or if he can't do that passes it but only if he is doubled. When you never get the ball and all you do is stand there obviously your getting worse.

Ikill
08-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Iverson averaged 8 assists one year too

Yung D-Will
08-27-2010, 10:43 AM
1. Lebrons passing and court vision overrated!?!? hahahaha... This is the guy that averaged the most assists (8.6 apg) in NBA history by a non-PG... no SG/SF/PF/C has ever averaged more assists... not even Magic Johnson could average more assists when he started SF/PF and he could average more if he wanted to! Especially if he went back to play PG all the time!

Lebron is easily one of the premier passers in the NBA.... Speaking of Lebrons Raw passing ability & Court Vision.... watch and learn =

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52oy9_G83rY&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvwE6GWiur8&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnq8OpeVyJM&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LaJRxnPliE&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPr3NNGL_fg&feature=player_embedded

Lebron started PG this season 9 times in a row... during that time he averaged 29.3 ppg, 8.1 rpg and 12.1 assists a game.

2. Lebron dominating the ball to much!?! What? Is that what people call point guards or point-forwards today??? Lebron is a point-forward, one of the best passers in the NBA and most certainly always the best passer & ballhandler in HIS team who is extremly unselfish and always makes the right plays whether he decides to score or pass, ofcourse he should have the ball!!! :facepalm
Lol did one of the comments on that youtube video actually say that Nash can't pass like Lebron :roll:

plowking
08-27-2010, 10:48 AM
With the team he had thats just it his team wasn't bad Lebron made them look bad. The team built around Lebron was perfect for him and slashing it kept driving lanes open for him and when he went to the basket he was able to get easy assists because almost everyone on the team could shoot. Do you see how when Lebron averaged 9 assists this year and do you see how all of his teammates started to play worse mo williams went from 18 ppg to 16 Shaq went from 18 to 12 Jamison from 21 to 16 Z from 13 to 7 west from 12 to 9 Anthony Parker 11 to 7. All these players were considered good before they got to Cleveland. From what i've see Lebron holds the ball for most of the shot clock then either goes to the net or chucks a 3 or if he can't do that passes it but only if he is doubled. When you never get the ball and all you do is stand there obviously your getting worse.

Umm...

Mo became the third option with Shaq on the team, that's why his numbers went down. Shaq got older and played less minutes, of course his numbers go down. Jamison went from being the main scorer and man on his team to going on a team where he was the 2nd or 3rd option. Z also got old and was sent to the bench because of Shaq. Come on...
Then there's West who went cuckoo for half the season and had to be in a mental institution and all that bull crap...

And Anthony Parker also got older and played less minutes. Don't bother mentioning that he shot better from the field and the 3pt line...
As soon as Mo came to Cleveland he put up career shooting figures as well. Not to mention career scoring numbers too.
Jamison as well put up career shooting from the field as a starter...

Hell with the amount of attention Lebron was drawing they made Z a 3 point shooter!

So before you mention all that crap, look into it a little deeper. I guess Paul Pierce made Garnett worse the first year in Boston because his stats went down. Same with Allen and vice versa. :rolleyes:

whatever666
08-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Lol did one of the comments on that youtube video actually say that Nash can't pass like Lebron :roll:

Biased Lebron fan kids, but the fact still remains... Lebron sure is one of the premier passers in the NBA and has perhaps the best court vision in the NBA, remember court vision has not much to do with passing ability, its how you see the court, its your basketball IQ, its seeing things happen before they happen, anticipation and knowledge of plays and your teammates.... only Nash is the other guy ive seen today with such court vision, hence why they can thread the needle, hence why they can see and make ridicilous passes. Court Vision certainly makes your passing ability much better...

Dont compare Passing Ability / Court Vision with Passing ALOT (assists)....

Larry Bird / Pete Maravich for example displayed one of the best passing abilities / court visions in NBA history... but they didnt average 10+ assists because they didnt pass that ridicilously much.

Its just like SCORING.... Who is the best scorer in the NBA? The guy who takes the most FG attempts and has the highest PPG? Like Kevin Durant lately? Or is it the guy who displays the best scoring ability, but doesnt need to score that much.... Kobe Bryant? Understand? Thats the same thing with passing ability and assists

Ikill
08-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Umm...

Mo became the third option with Shaq on the team, that's why his numbers went down. Shaq got older and played less minutes, of course his numbers go down. Jamison went from being the main scorer and man on his team to going on a team where he was the 2nd or 3rd option. Z also got old and was sent to the bench because of Shaq. Come on...
Then there's West who went cuckoo for half the season and had to be in a mental institution and all that bull crap...

And Anthony Parker also got older and played less minutes. Don't bother mentioning that he shot better from the field and the 3pt line...
As soon as Mo came to Cleveland he put up career shooting figures as well. Not to mention career scoring numbers too.

Hell with the amount of attention Lebron was drawing they made Z a 3 point shooter!

So before you mention all that crap, look into it a little deeper. I guess Paul Pierce made Garnett worse the first year in Boston because his stats went down. Same with Allen and vice versa. :rolleyes:
I've seen enough Lebron games to tell you he is an overrated passer Lebrons a great passer for a sf but average for a pg

Ikill
08-27-2010, 10:56 AM
Umm...

Good passers make there teammates better Steve nash Chris Paul Deron Williams Jason Kidd

MMKM
08-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Not bothering to read through this thread, but I don't think Lebron and Magic are all that similar. Lebron dominates the game because of his freakish physical abilities, he can outrun, outjump, out muscle just about anybody. But Lebron's skill level is just above average. Magic Johnson was far less physically gifted, although he was pretty darn fast for his size too. But Magic was a basketball savant. He had a skillset, court vision, and an immediate recognition of the right play to make on the basketball court. He had a post up game, and was a 90% FT shooter. Magic Johnson was more of a basketball player, Lebron James is more of a "1 in a billion" athlete who happens to play basketball.

plowking
08-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Good passers make there teammates better Steve nash Chris Paul Deron Williams Jason Kidd

As does Lebron... you didn't dispute anything in my posts...

Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson both averaged more points before Nash came.
As did Keith Van Horn before Kidd came along. As did Kerry Kittles.
Kirilenko and Boozer both averaged more points before Deron came along.

whatever666
08-27-2010, 11:17 AM
I've seen enough Lebron games to tell you he is an overrated passer Lebrons a great passer for a sf but average for a pg

Ehhh?? You do realise Lebron averages 10+++ apg when he starts PG right???? :facepalm

Lebron started PG about 10 times this season, most of February/January 2010 when Mo Williams/Delonte West were injured....

Here is his numbers of those 10 times as a starting PG last season.... Under this span he averaged...

28.0 ppg
7.1 rpg
12.5 apg <-------------

Take a look =

Feb 23 vs. NOH -
20 pts
5 rbs
13 assists

Feb 18 vs. DEN -
43 pts
13 rbs
15 assists

Feb 11 vs. ORL -
32 pts
8 rbs
13 assists

Feb 09 vs. NJN -
32 pts
3 rbs
11 assists

Feb 02 vs. MEM -
22 pts
6 rbs
15 assists

Jan 31 vs. LAC -
32 pts
3 rbs
11 assists

Jan 29 vs IND -
22 pts
9 rbs
13 assists

Jan 27 vs MIN -
12 pts
6 rbs
11 assists

Jan 23 vs OKC -
37 pts
9 rbs
12 assists

Jan 19 vs TOR -
28 pts
9 rbs
11 assists

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/lebron_james/game_by_game_stats.html

WHAT OTHER POINT GUARD IN THE NBA CAN PUT UP THOSE POINTS OR REBOUNDS OR ASSISTS TODAY? TELL ME?

When Lebron starts PG, he puts up numbers that embarasses guys like Steve Nash who only pass pass pass pass... because not only does he get more assists, but also everything else while at it....

Ikill
08-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Ehhh?? You do realise Lebron averages 10+++ apg when he starts PG right???? :facepalm

Lebron started PG about 10 times this season, most of February/January 2010 when Mo Williams/Delonte West were injured....

Here is his numbers of those 10 times as a starting PG last season.... Under this span he averaged...

28.0 ppg
7.1 rpg
12.5 apg <-------------

Take a look =

Feb 23 vs. NOH -
20 pts
5 rbs
13 assists

Feb 18 vs. DEN -
43 pts
13 rbs
15 assists

Feb 11 vs. ORL -
32 pts
8 rbs
13 assists

Feb 09 vs. NJN -
32 pts
3 rbs
11 assists

Feb 02 vs. MEM -
22 pts
6 rbs
15 assists

Jan 31 vs. LAC -
32 pts
3 rbs
11 assists

Jan 29 vs IND -
22 pts
9 rbs
13 assists

Jan 27 vs MIN -
12 pts
6 rbs
11 assists

Jan 23 vs OKC -
37 pts
9 rbs
12 assists

Jan 19 vs TOR -
28 pts
9 rbs
11 assists

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/lebron_james/game_by_game_stats.html
When you score that much and still get that many assists your a ball hog you have the ball in your hand too much

plowking
08-27-2010, 11:21 AM
When you score that much and still get that many assists your a ball hog you have the ball in your hand too much

Are you saying they could have won more games if Lebron had the ball less? :oldlol:

You're not a ball hog if your team needs you to do it.

whatever666
08-27-2010, 11:26 AM

You need to learn the difference between:

A Ballhog

And

A Point-Guard / Point-Forward

Ballhog =
A ball hog is a derisive term in basketball for a player who tends to handle the ball so exclusively that his or her behavior is damaging to their team. The main behavior associated with being a ball hog is excessive shooting, including frequent attempts at difficult shots and selfishness.

The ball hog does this because of any combination of poor court vision, over-confidence in his own ability relative to that of his teammates, lack of confidence in his/her teammates' abilities, or sheer selfishness. Ball hogging tends to manifest itself statistically as an abnormally high percentage of team shot attempts by the ball hog and often low percentages of shot accuracy and assists. They also tend to have a very poor assist-to-turnover ratio.

For instance, a player with ball-hogging tendencies may overlook or neglect a teammate who is open for a relatively easy shot, choosing instead to take a more difficult shot himself, often at the team's expense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_hog

Nash / CP3 / Rondo / Kidd / Deron / Lebron does not pop to my mind when i read this..... but Kobe Bryant does.

Ikill
08-27-2010, 11:44 AM
You need to learn the difference between:

A Ballhog

And

A Point-Guard / Point-Forward

Ballhog =
A ball hog is a derisive term in basketball for a player who tends to handle the ball so exclusively that his or her behavior is damaging to their team. The main behavior associated with being a ball hog is excessive shooting, including frequent attempts at difficult shots and selfishness.

The ball hog does this because of any combination of poor court vision, over-confidence in his own ability relative to that of his teammates, lack of confidence in his/her teammates' abilities, or sheer selfishness. Ball hogging tends to manifest itself statistically as an abnormally high percentage of team shot attempts by the ball hog and often low percentages of shot accuracy and assists. They also tend to have a very poor assist-to-turnover ratio.

For instance, a player with ball-hogging tendencies may overlook or neglect a teammate who is open for a relatively easy shot, choosing instead to take a more difficult shot himself, often at the team's expense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_hog

Nash / CP3 / Rondo / Lebron does not pop to my mind when i read this..... but Kobe Bryant does.
Most of this Lebron does. He handles the ball too much for sf which did damage his team in the playoffs because his teammates weren't ready they were too use to Lebron stat padding. Lebron is selfish and does not have confidence in his teammates. Lebron does take a lot of his teams shot attempts. Lebron does make shots more difficult for himself i remember once Lebron just standing there and doing crossovers for like 20 seconds while the defender just stood there. There were people open but instead he shot a fadeway 3 while the guy was barely defending him. Nash Rondo and cp3 control the flow of the offence way better than Lebron does. Those pgs passing ability helps them score more points while Lebrons scoring ability helps him get assists. Defender expect Chris Paul to pass so thats how they defend so instead he scores. Lebron goes to the net defense collapses open shooters everywhere they let him get the pass because they don't want Lebron to get hot but a lot of times I've seen Lebron ignore this and just take a stupid shot.

whatever666
08-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Most of this Lebron does. He handles the ball too much for sf which did damage his team in the playoffs because his teammates weren't ready they were too use to Lebron stat padding. Lebron is selfish and does not have confidence in his teammates. Lebron does take a lot of his teams shot attempts. Lebron does make shots more difficult for himself i remember once Lebron just standing there and doing crossovers for like 20 seconds while the defender just stood there. There were people open but instead he shot a fadeway 3 while the guy was barely defending him. Nash Rondo and cp3 control the flow of the offence way better than Lebron does. Those pgs passing ability helps them score more points while Lebrons scoring ability helps him get assists. Defender expect Chris Paul to pass so thats how they defend so instead he scores. Lebron goes to the net defense collapses open shooters everywhere they let him get the pass because they don't want Lebron to get hot but a lot of times I've seen Lebron ignore this and just take a stupid shot.

Ikill
08-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Whats wrong with what i said its all true

DKLaker
08-27-2010, 11:59 AM

Magic = Winner + Team Player + 5 Championships :applause:

Lebron = Quitting Loser + Selfish Ego Maniac + Aint won Sh!t :oldlol:

:facepalm :banghead: :facepalm at Kids who never say Magic play and obviously don't know their NBA history......clueless :banghead:

In case some dumb arses missed it Magic won game 6 of the NBA finals as a rookie playing center when Kareem was injured and couldn't even fly to Philly for the game.......Rookie PG playing center against one of the greatest teams of the era.....Magic had 42 points, 15 rebounds and 7 assists.
The most amazing, shocking finals performance in history.

WTF do you guys think Lebron would've done in that situation........I say the little b!tch would've faked injury and hoped Kareem would bail him out in game 7...........very clearly Lebron is NOT the step up guy Magic is.......and is not a winner........he knows it himself and that's why he ran to Wade's arms. Don't get me wrong.....Lebron is a very skilled player.....but dude couldn't tie Magic's shoelaces.

2LeTTeRS
08-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Tim Hardaway averaged 22/11 and KJ averaged 23/11. With that said I would never have them near MJ as an offensive player.

At the end of a game when it's on the line, Magic as a player is not more dangerous than the players I previously mentioned who are better at putting the ball in the bucket. That and the fact that scorers are more important than passers is why I don't think Magic is better than some of the players I mentioned.

Seems to me that you really over-rate scores and under-rate playmakers. Personally I believe a guy who is a scoring threat while being an excellent passer and having the awareness and ability to deliver the ball in the tiniest spots is scarier in crunch time than a scorer who will shoot it 9 times out of 10.

plowking
08-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Magic = Winner + Team Player + 5 Championships :applause:

Lebron = Quitting Loser + Selfish Ego Maniac + Aint won Sh!t :oldlol:

:facepalm :banghead: :facepalm at Kids who never say Magic play and obviously don't know their NBA history......clueless :banghead:

In case some dumb arses missed it Magic won game 6 of the NBA finals as a rookie playing center when Kareem was injured and couldn't even fly to Philly for the game.......Rookie PG playing center against one of the greatest teams of the era.....Magic had 42 points, 15 rebounds and 7 assists.
The most amazing, shocking finals performance in history.

WTF do you guys think Lebron would've done in that situation........I say the little b!tch would've faked injury and hoped Kareem would bail him out in game 7...........very clearly Lebron is NOT the step up guy Magic is.......and is not a winner........he knows it himself and that's why he ran to Wade's arms. Don't get me wrong.....Lebron is a very skilled player.....but dude couldn't tie Magic's shoelaces.

Magic took the jump ball and that's about as far as he went in terms of playing center. Go watch the game. Tell me when he actually played center on that team in that game.
It's still a legendary performance, though he didn't play center.

plowking
08-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Seems to me that you really over-rate scores and under-rate playmakers. Personally I believe a guy who is a scoring threat while being an excellent passer and having the awareness and ability to deliver the ball in the tiniest spots is scarier in crunch time than a scorer who will shoot it 9 times out of 10.

MJ/Lebron/Bird/Kobe/Kareem/Wilt, etc were/are all capable passers in the clutch. Since they were better shot makers they drew more attention on the last plays in a game and freed up more people to pass to.

As for Magic, he wasn't really perceived as some ultimate clutch player during his time from my reading on him and watching a number of his games.

whatever666
08-27-2010, 02:54 PM
bunch of lebron hating nonsense

They are compared by talent/skill/gamestyle/versatility and so on at that size....

Not career... :facepalm

Magics career is ranked Top 5 best ever.... comparing that to a guy whos career is not even close to half way done is just not fair. Not even Kobes career with his 5 rings can be compared with Magics career.... despite Kobe having played 14 seasons compared to Magics 13 seasons... thats how good he was and how much he did in just 13 seasons.

salmon_stinks
08-27-2010, 02:56 PM
They're nothing alike

DixieNourmous
08-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Reading through this thread one thing becomes clear...

Posters in their 20`s say - Lebron

Mature posters say - Magic

Magic was far more versatile and had a far better basketball IQ.

Posting out of ignorance is par for the course here though.

Magic Johnson
9 time all NBA 1st team
12 all star games
5 Time NBA Champion
11.2 assists per game career
Played every position @ 6`8`` :bowdown:
The list goes on here....http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnsma02.html

http://www.worldcorrespondents.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/magic_johnson_michael_jordan_photofile-300x236.jpg

barbaroi
08-27-2010, 04:59 PM

Lebron has never had a season that comes close to 24/6/12/2 60.2 TS% or 23/8/13/2 62.5 TS%. How can you even type that with a straight face? Magic was both individually better than Lebron and more beneficial to his teammates' play. Lebron a better individual player... where do you come up with this stuff?

Round Mound
08-27-2010, 05:01 PM
They aren`t similar at all.

The only thing that they are similar is that they are 6`8 dudes capable of playing Point Forward, Passing and Creating but the difference was:

Magic was a much better creator, desicion maker and passer
Magic had a great forward post game (baby hook included) with either hand
Magic had better ballhandling skills (although not as potent, quick, fast or agil)
Magic had a better face up shot (no jump)
Magic was the better rebounder (you see him when he put on 255 lbs at age 36 he could rebound among the best pfs per 36 minutes)
Magic was more of a "1st create or pass then slash player", Lebron is the opposite; "1st drive then see what happenes"

Lebron is ofcourse the better scorer, jump shooter, driver, slasher, dunker and defender (against perimeter players, not in the post).

KoRn
08-27-2010, 05:03 PM
They aren`t similar at all.

The only thing that they are similar is that they are 6`8 dudes capable of playing Point Forward, Passing and Creating but the difference was:

Magic was a much better creator, desicion maker and passer
Magic had a great forward post game (baby hook included) with either hand
Magic had better ballhandling skills (although not as potent, quick, fast or agil)
Magic had a better face up shot (no jump)
Magic was the better rebounder (you see him when he put on 255 lbs at age 36 he could rebound among the best pfs per 36 minutes)
Magic was more of a "1st create or pass then slash player", Lebron is the opposite; "1st drive then see what happenes"

Lebron is ofcourse the better scorer, jump shooter, driver, slasher, dunker and defender (against perimeter players, not in the post).

this.

DixieNourmous
08-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Note:

Plowking is Flaming the thread.
He is not serious. He is a better poster than that.

Samurai Swoosh
08-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Definitely.

DKLaker
08-27-2010, 05:17 PM
Magic took the jump ball and that's about as far as he went in terms of playing center. Go watch the game. Tell me when he actually played center on that team in that game.
It's still a legendary performance, though he didn't play center.

You're missing the point.....Magic took over the NBA Finals as a rookie with the teams main superstar sitting at home, coming out with a dominant performance from start to finish........what has Lebron ever done to compare.......nothing now, nothing in the future.

Talking about comparing them because of skill set is just dumb.....Lamar Odom has as much skill as anyone in the NBA but has less desire and drive than 75% of the players.....so what do you get? Don't you realize that winning takes will power, smarts and skill....big deal if Lebron has skill, that won't get it done.
If Shaq had Kobe's drive, work ethic and desire he'd have 6 more rings, would've put up Wilt type numbers and already be considered the GOAT.

Round Mound
08-27-2010, 05:23 PM
MJ/Lebron/Bird/Kobe/Kareem/Wilt, etc were/are all capable passers in the clutch. Since they were better shot makers they drew more attention on the last plays in a game and freed up more people to pass to.

As for Magic, he wasn't really perceived as some ultimate clutch player during his time from my reading on him and watching a number of his games.

Did i Just Hear...Magic not clutch? :facepalm

0:55 to 1:28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-fEDLzNUMc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBzi6gftMMc

Magic Johnson beats Celtics again (1988 Regular Season)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxUwvfBVweI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_sp9j9RNzs&feature=related

NBA Buzzer Beater "Magic Johnson" Los Angeles Lakers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUT1k3BN5cI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGr6CIRWkpo

30.11.1988 Sonics @ Lakers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E80RGtvZQqc

04.12.1988 Bullets @ Lakers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_elfiz11ico&feature=related

Magic was one of the clutchest players ever. He had many game winning shots and don`t be fooled by his style of shooting the dude had major wrist capacity and all his shots looked as if they where not going in but the man had major skills with both wrists (like Bird, similar floor game) and could shoot with both hands as mid range floaters or hooks

DKLaker
08-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Did i Just Hear...Magic not clutch? :facepalm

0:55 to 1:28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-fEDLzNUMc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBzi6gftMMc

Magic Johnson beats Celtics again (1988 Regular Season)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxUwvfBVweI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_sp9j9RNzs&feature=related

NBA Buzzer Beater "Magic Johnson" Los Angeles Lakers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUT1k3BN5cI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGr6CIRWkpo

30.11.1988 Sonics @ Lakers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E80RGtvZQqc

04.12.1988 Bullets @ Lakers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_elfiz11ico&feature=related

Magic was one of the clutchest players ever. He had many game winning shots and don`t be fooled by his style of shooting the dude had major wrist capacity and all his shots looked as if they where not going in but the man had major skills with both wrists (like Bird, similar floor game) and could shoot with both hands as mid range floaters or hooks

:applause: :cheers: :applause: Repped you.....Great Work!!!!!

TheLogo
08-27-2010, 05:28 PM
The love for Lebron from some of these trolls is sickening.

http://www.homotrophy.com/images/exterface_kiss_4.jpg

Now he's better than Magic?...comedy gold.

Desperado
08-27-2010, 05:30 PM
As a PG Lebron is much closer to Stephon Marbury than Magic Johnson.

Round Mound
08-27-2010, 05:36 PM
Magic not clutch? :rolleyes: :facepalm

Play-offs: 19.5 PPG (50.6% FG, only 13.4 FGAs PG "Thats How Great PGs are Create 1st, Shoot Less and Score Effectively: see Stockton for that too), 12.3 APG, 7.7 RPG.

The man averaged 8.5 RGP at age 36 weighing 255 lbs and playing Point-Powerforward)

His ORT was off the chart: 122

crisoner
08-27-2010, 05:49 PM
I have to agree with the OP on this.

Except Magic won championships against his biggest rival and didn't play with one of them. And so far as we know LeBron has not contracted any STD's.

But game wise....have to agree. Triple doubles for days.

opps
08-27-2010, 06:07 PM

Basically.

No matter how good you think Lebron passses he doesnt control the flow of the game the way an elite passer like Rondo,Nash,Williams,Paul,etc do. & of course he gonna have those assist if has the ball for 20 seconds.

opps
08-27-2010, 06:09 PM
I have to agree with the OP on this.

Except Magic won championships against his biggest rival and didn't play with one of them. And so far as we know LeBron has not contracted any STD's.

But game wise....have to agree. Triple doubles for days.

Is that supposed to be funny & if so your're an asshole

whatever666
08-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Magic was definitely clutch... :bowdown:

whatever666
08-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Well here is Lebron in his own words when speaking of similarities:

"I don’t try to pattern my game after anybody’s, but if I had to talk about similarities, I’d look at Penny Hardaway when he was in Orlando. He was a 6′7″ point guard. He had flair, he could pass, he’d dunk on you and he could shoot jumpers. Then, I’d look at Oscar Robertson and Magic and the way they were able to dominate games. I don’t say I’m going to try to be those guys, but I can see a little bit of my game in each of them. And I’m not really concerned about surpassing them in history. I just hope that one day people will think I was one of the best players to ever play in this league."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3686667

Kobe 4 The Win
08-27-2010, 11:07 PM

Wrong

Magic was as clutch as they come. He competed at the highest level for his entire career and came through when it mattered most. Trust me, I was actually there to watch him way back in his time.

Replay32
08-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Wait what!!!! Who said magic wasn't clutch?

Replay32
08-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Wrong

Magic was as clutch as they come. He competed at the highest level for his entire career and came through when it mattered most. Trust me, I was actually there to watch him way back in his time.

This. I was too. Magic wasn't clutch? LMAO. Some posters shouldn't speak on what they don't know. If you didn't live through it...PLEASE STFU!!!!!!

NoGunzJustSkillz
08-27-2010, 11:18 PM
Wrong

actually ur wrong...i recall jerry west taking most of the clutch shots during magics playing days.

shock post 2010 nikkkkka

Replay32
08-27-2010, 11:27 PM
And lebron isn't on magic's level in regards to being a floor general, impact, and running the fast break or even passing in the half court set. Magic consistently made thread the niddle passes by defenders and Magic's post game was better. He also understood the game better. Also magic was a better FT shooter and was a triple double machine.

Bron is a better pure scorer, leaper, and defender. But that's all I've give him over magic. I think magics defense was a bit underrated too and he was a really solid defender before his knee injuries. He even lead the league in steals a couple of times I believe. He was a solid team defender and understood postioning and angles. Both great great players but...

Magic>Bron and their games are not that similar.

Kobe 4 The Win
08-27-2010, 11:30 PM
actually ur wrong...i recall jerry west taking most of the clutch shots during magics playing days.

shock post 2010 nikkkkka

lol, Jerry West?

NoGunzJustSkillz
08-27-2010, 11:33 PM
lol, Jerry West?
yeah this guy, read up son

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/george-mikan.jpg

shock post 2011 nikkka

Jacks3
08-27-2010, 11:41 PM
:wtf:

Kobe 4 The Win
08-27-2010, 11:46 PM
It's hard to joke around in these threads because people usually make such absurd statements that you can't always tell when someone is kidding.

tpols
08-27-2010, 11:46 PM
yeah this guy, read up son

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/george-mikan.jpg

shock post 2011 nikkka
Dude they played in separate eras.

plowking
08-27-2010, 11:47 PM
Jesus...

Some of you are just taken in by legends and don't actually read up or bother watching any of the games.
No, Magic is not more versatile than Lebron. Lebron is taller and heavier than Magic by a good bit. And once again, Magic could not play every position. Magic took the jump ball in those finals and didn't play a minute of center. He didn't guard, nor was he guarded by Dawkins the whole match. He played on Erving and was guarded by him most of the match.

And yes, Magic wasn't a clutch superstar like Kobe, Jordan, Bird, etc. There were articles written on the damn thing at the time.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1122425/index.htm

Also in what world is 24/12/6 better than 30/9/7? Lebron at his peak is better. I'm not talking about championships or other accomplishments, I'm talking as a player.
Some of you are so quick to dismiss anything when it comes to legends and current players being better than them. Current players who are still in the league get grossly underrated when compared to past players.
Lebron has a bigger impact, is more dominant and is a deadlier player than Magic.

Some of you need to take of the bias glasses and realize this, and how good Lebron is.

NoGunzJustSkillz
08-27-2010, 11:51 PM
Dude they played in separate eras.
oh yeah? explain this picture idiot

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/jack_mccallum/06/02/mikan/t1_lakers.centers.jpg

tpols
08-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Jesus...

Some of you are just taken in by legends and don't actually read up or bother watching any of the games.
No, Magic is not more versatile than Lebron. Lebron is taller and heavier than Magic by a good bit. And once again, Magic could not play every position. Magic took the jump ball in those finals and didn't play a minute of center. He didn't guard, nor was he guarded by Dawkins the whole match. He played on Erving and was guarded by him most of the match.

And yes, Magic wasn't a clutch superstar like Kobe, Jordan, Bird, etc. There were articles written on the damn thing at the time.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1122425/index.htm

Also in what world is 24/12/6 better than 30/9/7? Lebron at his peak is better. I'm not talking about championships or other accomplishments, I'm talking as a player.
Some of you are so quick to dismiss anything when it comes to legends and current players being better than them. Current players who are still in the league get grossly underrated when compared to past players.
Lebron has a bigger impact, is more dominant and is a deadlier player than Magic.

Some of you need to take of the bias glasses and realize this, and how good Lebron is.

24/12/6 equals you being directly associated with 48 points. 30/9/7 equals you being directly associated with 48 points.:confusedshrug: 1 extra rebound doesn't mean shit.

Lebron, I would say, is the better overall player because of his athleticism and scoring ability. But magic could lead a team with the best of them. Magic's offensive capabilities were better than lebron's though. He made the whole team that much better where as lebron likes to play iso ball and his teammates actually get worse when playing with him (look at all the guys they brought in for him- their numbers all went down) because he is way too ball dominant for the good of the team.

OnceInADECADE
08-28-2010, 12:06 AM

dwight howard says what up

plowking
08-28-2010, 12:13 AM
24/12/6 equals you being directly associated with 48 points. 30/9/7 equals you being directly associated with 48 points.:confusedshrug: 1 extra rebound doesn't mean shit.

Lebron, I would say, is the better overall player because of his athleticism and scoring ability. But magic could lead a team with the best of them. Magic's offensive capabilities were better than lebron's though. He made the whole team that much better where as lebron likes to play iso ball and his teammates actually get worse when playing with him (look at all the guys they brought in for him- their numbers all went down) because he is way too ball dominant for the good of the team.

Giving out 12 assists is not the same as scoring the ball yourself. Scoring is far harder than passing and is the most important thing.

No, Lebron does not make his teammates worse. I pointed this out before, and their numbers don't go down.
Mo Williams, Parker, Jamison all had career numbers as starters for 3pt shooting and Jamison for FG%.

Just because Garnett's, Pierces and Allen's numbers went down when they joined the Celtics doesn't mean Rondo made them worse. They just played a system where they could win. Same with the Cavs. A system where Lebron wasn't handling the ball as much would mean no playoffs, or playoffs as a low seed.

PowerGlove
08-28-2010, 12:15 AM
lol @ nogunz trolling.

why does the logo keep posting homoerotic shit? are you trying to tell us your desires?

Kobe 4 The Win
08-28-2010, 12:21 AM
" I'm not talking about championships or other accomplishments, I'm talking as a player."

You're right, Lebron is better when you don't factor in championships or accomplishments. lol

Plowking, you are nuts. And since when is Lebron taller than Magic Johnson? Magic could, and did play every position in the NBA. And unlike Lebron he had a post game, a mid range game and a perimiter game. That article you posted was written after LA lost in the Finals in 84. Everyone was taking shots at him. He's not perfect but go ask Larry Bird if Magic Johnson was clutch. Go ask Kareem or Pat Riley if Magic hit clutch freethrows and clutch shots. 87 Finals game winner anyone? Magic is well known as a clutch player and there is video evidence to support this.

A real great player makes his teamates better and wins. Lebron is the best regular season player in the league. So f**king what? That's not what basketball is about. Now he gave up and joined a super team. The bottom line is that even if Lebron wins championships there his legacy is going to take a hit. And if he doesn't, look out because he won't be the G.O.A.T., he'll just be a goat.

plowking
08-28-2010, 12:26 AM
" I'm not talking about championships or other accomplishments, I'm talking as a player."

You're right, Lebron is better when you don't factor in championships or accomplishments. lol

Plowking, you are nuts. And since when is Lebron taller than Magic Johnson? Magic could, and did play every position in the NBA. And unlike Lebron he had a post game, a mid range game and a perimiter game. That article you posted was written after LA lost in the Finals in 84. Everyone was taking shots at him. He's not perfect but go ask Larry Bird if Magic Johnson was clutch. Go ask Kareem or Pat Riley if Magic hit clutch freethrows and clutch shots. 87 Finals game winner anyone? Magic is well known as a clutch player and there is video evidence to support this.

A real great player makes his teamates better and wins. Lebron is the best regular season player in the league. So f**king what? That's not what basketball is about. Now he gave up and joined a super team. The bottom line is that even if Lebron wins championships there his legacy is going to take a hit. And if he doesn't, look out because he won't be the G.O.A.T., he'll just be a goat.

No, I'm not. Lebron is a more dominant, more deadly and more of a threat to do damage on the court.
I'd have trouble naming 5 players better than current Lebron in terms of dominance. Shaq, Jordan, Wilt, Kareem and then you have Bird who is debatable.

It's typical for you to be bias as well. Look at your screen name...
So he didn't have a team that was good enough before, and you bag him. Now he goes to a team good enough, and you bag him.
Can the man do anything right?

He wasn't blessed like Magic and Kobe to be saddled in a team with arguably the best big man in history as soon as they entered the league. Lebron never had a player the calibre of prime Shaq/Pau or KAJ/Worthy.

tpols
08-28-2010, 12:26 AM
Giving out 12 assists is not the same as scoring the ball yourself. Scoring is far harder than passing and is the most important thing.

No, Lebron does not make his teammates worse. I pointed this out before, and their numbers don't go down.
Mo Williams, Parker, Jamison all had career numbers as starters for 3pt shooting and Jamison for FG%.

Just because Garnett's, Pierces and Allen's numbers went down when they joined the Celtics doesn't mean Rondo made them worse. They just played a system where they could win. Same with the Cavs. A system where Lebron wasn't handling the ball as much would mean no playoffs, or playoffs as a low seed.
What? Setting someone up for a shot is just as important as shooting it yourself. Should we believe scoring is more important just because you say so?

The thing about lebron is he won't let anyone be the second option. It is all about him. He'll never toss it down to jamison or shaq and let them work (not that they're great second options but still). Lebron has to be in control at all times scoring it himself or passing it out of the defensive pressure he's facing. Magic was a point guard and would gladly give the ball up to let worthy or kareem go to work. Magic is the definition of making your teammates better. Lebron is not.

plowking
08-28-2010, 12:30 AM
What? Setting someone up for a shot is just as important as shooting it yourself. Should we believe scoring is more important just because you say so?

The thing about lebron is he won't let anyone be the second option. It is all about him. He'll never toss it down to jamison or shaq and let them work (not that they're great second options but still). Lebron has to be in control at all times scoring it himself or passing it out of the defensive pressure he's facing. Magic was a point guard and would gladly give the ball up to let worthy or kareem go to work. Magic is the definition of making your teammates better. Lebron is not.

I'm sure Lebron would be glad to give it up to Worthy and Kareem. The fact is he has Jamison and old ass Shaq.

I can't believe you just compared the two.

And no. Scoring is a shitload more difficult than passing to someone.

AirJordan23
08-28-2010, 12:33 AM
oh yeah? explain this picture idiot

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/jack_mccallum/06/02/mikan/t1_lakers.centers.jpg
I LOL'd.

Lebron23
08-28-2010, 12:35 AM
Magic never won another NBA title after Jabbar retired in the 1989 NBA Season.

The Lakers advanced in the NBA Finals in the 1991 NBA Season ,but Jordan and Bulls beat them (4-1).

Magic was the same age as Kobe when the Bulls beat them in the NBA Finals.

Kareem and Magic needed each other. They were very lucky to play on the same team.

OnceInADECADE
08-28-2010, 12:37 AM
only if Bron played on a face paced offence everyone would see his real talent.

OnceInADECADE
08-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Magic never won another NBA title after Jabbar retired in the 1989 NBA Season.

The Lakers advanced in the NBA Finals in the 1991 NBA Season ,but Jordan and Bulls beat them (4-2).

Magic was the same age as Kobe when the Bulls beat them in the NBA Finals.

Kareem and Magic needed each other. They were very lucky to play on the same team.

true that. He didnt do jack after that.

Lebron23
08-28-2010, 12:42 AM
only if Bron played on a face paced offence everyone would see his real talent.

Eric said that the Heat would be a run and gun defensive team.

tpols
08-28-2010, 12:42 AM
I'm sure Lebron would be glad to give it up to Worthy and Kareem. The fact is he has Jamison and old ass Shaq.

I can't believe you just compared the two.

And no. Scoring is a shitload more difficult than passing to someone.
Says you. And when we're looking at a difference of 5-6 points and 2-3 assists it's not a big difference in play especially considering the guy was a point guard. Give lebron the duty of averaging 12-15 assists a game and his scoring would drop by the same margin.

Lets compare their playoff numbers too:

Magic best 3 runs:
22/15/7
25/13/6
22/12/8

Lebron best 3 runs:
35/7/9
30/6/8
29/8/9

Magic's assist numbers and playmaking ability easily make up the 8-10 points lebron has on him. Magic has had way more playoff success and was one of the best post season performers ever. Lebron may put up guady scoring lines but he really is the definition of a stat padder. He has absolutely nothing to show for it.

Kobe 4 The Win
08-28-2010, 12:43 AM
No, I'm not. Lebron is a more dominant, more deadly and more of a threat to do damage on the court.

Except when it really matters like when he quit agaist Boston in the East Finals. He did a lot of damage to his reputation, does that coun't.

Lebron has no post game and no midrange game. He gets by because he is a really strong, really fast guy who can jump out of the gym. That is a talent, not a skill and it's not what gets it done in the playoffs. The proof is in the pudding. If you want a guy who looks impressive on Sportscenter then Lebron is your guy. Magic is a legend with real accomplishments. Those two shouldn't be discussed in the same breath.

plowking
08-28-2010, 12:44 AM
Except when it really matters like when he quit agaist Boston in the East Finals. He did a lot of damage to his reputation, does that coun't. :oldlol:

Lebron has no post game and no midrange game. He gets by because he is a really strong, really fast guy who can jump out of the gym. That is a talent, not a skill and it's not what gets it done in the playoffs. The proof is in the pudding. If you want a guy who looks impressive on Sportscenter then Lebron is your guy. Magic is a legend with real accomplishments. Those two shouldn't be discussed in the same breath.

Lebron's 25 and has another 10 years to win championships.

Sure Magic is a legend with championships, though his 4th best option on the team was better than Lebron's 2nd option...

Do you really think Lebron and KAJ wouldn't win together?

Kobe 4 The Win
08-28-2010, 12:47 AM
true that. He didnt do jack after that.

Give me a f**kin break. He only played 2 years after Jabbar retired. They lost to Jordan's dominant 90's team in 1991. A big reason they lost that series was because Byron Scott and James Worthy weren't at full strength. Magic got an aging, injured, and less talented team within 3 wins of being Champions.

Lebron is the one who hasn't done jack.

Lebron23
08-28-2010, 12:49 AM

Sure Magic is a legend with championships, though his 4th best option on the team was better than Lebron's 2nd option...

Exactly

plowking
08-28-2010, 12:52 AM
Says you. And when we're looking at a difference of 5-6 points and 2-3 assists it's not a big difference in play especially considering the guy was a point guard. Give lebron the duty of averaging 12-15 assists a game and his scoring would drop by the same margin.

Lets compare their playoff numbers too:

Magic best 3 runs:
22/15/7
25/13/6
22/12/8

Lebron best 3 runs:
35/7/9
30/6/8
29/8/9

Magic's assist numbers and playmaking ability easily make up the 8-10 points lebron has on him. Magic has had way more playoff success and was one of the best post season performers ever. Lebron may put up guady scoring lines but he really is the definition of a stat padder. He has absolutely nothing to show for it.

Do you argue with me for the sake of arguing?
Why are all the best players in NBA history scorers? Michael, Kobe, Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Hakeem, Moses, Oscar, etc.
Are you seriously telling me from playing basketball yourself that it's easier for you to score then it is passing it off to someone and watching them nail a jumpshot.

And if Lebron was given the duty of having to get 12 assists, it was shown earlier in the thread that when he started at point last season he averaged 29/13...

You guys are seriously ridiculous. Magic's Lakers scored 115-120ppg while he played there. Lebron's Cavs were scoring 100 odd and even less in the playoffs. The fact that his numbers are comparable and better arguably goes to show how good he is.

Yes, he's a stat padder. Just because he has a crappy team where as Magic has arguably the best team ever assembled in basketball it's Lebron's fault he has nothing to show for it. Do you understand how weak your argument is? You're blaming Lebron for not having a good team.

plowking
08-28-2010, 12:54 AM
Give me a f**kin break. He only played 2 years after Jabbar retired. They lost to Jordan's dominant 90's team in 1991. A big reason they lost that series was because Byron Scott and James Worthy weren't at full strength. Magic got an aging, injured, and less talented team within 3 wins of being Champions.

Lebron is the one who hasn't done jack.

Let me guess, this was heroic as you make it out to be?

But then you have Lebron taking his team to the finals against the Spurs and that was just stat padding and shit right? :oldlol:

Your double standards are hilarious.

Lebron23
08-28-2010, 12:55 AM

But then you have Lebron taking his team to the finals against the Spurs and that was just stat padding and shit right? :oldlol:

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

tpols
08-28-2010, 12:55 AM
Do you argue with me for the sake of arguing?
Why are all the best players in NBA history scorers? Michael, Kobe, Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Hakeem, Moses, Oscar, etc.
Are you seriously telling me from playing basketball yourself that it's easier for you to score then it is passing it off to someone and watching them nail a jumpshot.

And if Lebron was given the duty of having to get 12 assists, it was shown earlier in the thread that when he started at point last season he averaged 29/13...

You guys are seriously ridiculous. Magic's Lakers scored 115-120ppg while he played there. Lebron's Cavs were scoring 100 odd and even less in the playoffs. The fact that his numbers are comparable and better arguably goes to show how good he is.

Yes, he's a stat padder. Just because he has a crappy team where as Magic has arguably the best team ever assembled in basketball it's Lebron's fault he has nothing to show for it. Do you understand how weak your argument is? You're blaming Lebron for not having a good team.
LOL I swear you go against the grain in threads whenever you can. You're trying to drop knowledge but, the fact is, you're flat out wrong in saying lebron was a better offensive player than magic johnson.

And LOL at the bolded comment. So point guards can't be in GOAT discussions because they aren't eltie scorers.:facepalm

Your whole argument gets a :facepalm

Kobe 4 The Win
08-28-2010, 12:56 AM

And got swept. lol

plowking
08-28-2010, 01:02 AM
And got swept. lol

Magic lost 4-1 with an awesome team.

Lebron lost 4-0 being a one man team.

tpols
08-28-2010, 01:04 AM
Magic lost 4-1 with an awesome team.

Lebron lost 4-0 being a one man team.
Magic Johnson was the leadig scorer on that team. I guess worthy, byron scott, and vlade divac are GREAT teammates.:rolleyes: I've never seen such strong revisionist history than with lebron's past teams.

plowking
08-28-2010, 01:05 AM
LOL I swear you go against the grain in threads whenever you can. You're trying to drop knowledge but, the fact is, you're flat out wrong in saying lebron was a better offensive player than magic johnson.

And LOL at the bolded comment. So point guards can't be in GOAT discussions because they aren't eltie scorers.:facepalm

Your whole argument gets a :facepalm

Clearly point guards aren't favored in GOAT discussions since their impact can't be as great as a great big man or a great wing scorer. History generally supports this.

I'm not wrong and I'm hardly going against the grain. History has shown a great scorer is always more important/better than a great passer.

PowerGlove
08-28-2010, 01:06 AM
Magic Johnson was the leadig scorer on that team. I guess worthy, byron scott, and vlade divac are GREAT teammates.:rolleyes: I've never seen such strong revisionist history than with lebron's past teams.
:oldlol:

Larry Hughes
Eric Snow
Big Z

Okay.

Kobe 4 The Win
08-28-2010, 01:07 AM
I'm sick of this one man team bullshit like Lebron plays with a bunch of scrubs. They are good enough to get to the finals and have the leagues best record but none of them are any good except Lebron. Baloney.

plowking
08-28-2010, 01:07 AM

Worthy is a finals MVP. Remember the thing you said that is more important than an MVP? :oldlol:

And once again you lie about stats when arguing like you did in the finals MVP thread. Magic was not the leading scorer on the team. Worthy was.

Speaking of "revisionist history"... You don't revise, you make the whole thing up.

PowerGlove
08-28-2010, 01:08 AM
I'm sick of this one man team bullshit like Lebron plays with a bunch of scrubs. They are good enough to get to the finals and have the leagues best record but none of them are any good except Lebron. Baloney.
Reading Comprehension.

Kobe 4 The Win
08-28-2010, 01:09 AM
Worthy is a finals MVP. Remember the thing you said that is more important than an MVP? :oldlol:

Not in 1991. In 1991 he was an aging guy with a bum knee and a pulled hamstring. In 1988 he was a finals MVP.

plowking
08-28-2010, 01:11 AM

Or maybe Lerbon's that good?

Why do you think Lebron probably has the best regular seasons stats in history on 60+ win teams? Because he's doing a shitload of work and he's that good.

tpols
08-28-2010, 01:11 AM

And once again you lie about stats when arguing like you did in the finals MVP thread. Magic was not the leading scorer on the team. Worthy was.

Speaking of "revisionist history"... You don't revise, you make the whole thing up.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/1991.html playoffs brah:facepalm magic was the leading scorer.

Worthy was obviously an exception to the rule as was explained to you.

plowking
08-28-2010, 01:12 AM
Not in 1991. In 1991 he was an aging guy with a bum knee and a pulled hamstring. In 1988 he was a finals MVP.

I never said it was in 91. He's a finals MVP though and according to tpols they're far better judgement of how good a player is than an MVP. :oldlol:

plowking
08-28-2010, 01:13 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/1991.html playoffs brah:facepalm magic was the leading scorer.

Worthy was obviously an exception to the rule as was explained to you.

So why is it stat padding when Lebron does it though not when Magic does it?

tpols
08-28-2010, 01:14 AM
I never said it was in 91. He's a finals MVP though and according to tpols they're far better judgement of how good a player is than an MVP. :oldlol:
rings as the man:cheers:

plowking
08-28-2010, 01:16 AM
rings as the man:cheers:

Nope. You said finals MVP. Finals MVP and rings as the man have nothing to do with one another. You were arguing for finals MVP.
We were clearly talking about accolades/awards. "Rings as the man" is not a trophy/award I know of.

Don't backtrack now.

tpols
Magic has won lol. A lot. Not just rings but more individual accomplishments too. Magic improved his teammates. Lebron didn't. In fact, lebron bailed on his teammates without so much as a phone call.

tpols
Nope. You said finals MVP. Finals MVP and rings as the man have nothing to do with one another. You were arguing for finals MVP.
We were clearly talking about accolades/awards. "Rings as the man" is not a trophy/award I know of.

Don't backtrack now.
Finals mvp=rings as the man 95% of the time. Good enough for me.

plowking
08-28-2010, 01:21 AM
Finals mvp=rings as the man 95% of the time. Good enough for me.

9/40 finals MVP's have not been given to the man on the team. That's not 95%...

Then you have Jerry West getting it on a losing team. 10/40.

Then there's also actually Willis Reed who won in 72-73 though Walt was actually the best player throughout the season and was clearly the man. 11.

tpols
08-28-2010, 01:31 AM
9/40 finals MVP's have not been given to the man on the team. That's not 95%...
7/40:

tony parker won but duncan won three before that so it didn't really matter. (he has 4 rings as the man)

Dave cowens lost out to jojo white, but he was never in GOAT contention or close to it anyways.

Maxwell beat out bird, but bird ended up getting multiple fmvps (rings as the man) anyways.

And in the past 20 years, only 1 guy was not in contention for the best player on his team. Throughout the whole 90s, the best player always got it. In the 2000s, tony parker has been the only exception.

So in modern times, 19/20, yes it is 95% rings as the man.

ShannonElements
08-28-2010, 01:40 AM
One thing I hate when people compare current players to players of the past, is that they're always comparing the past player's complete body of work to the current player's partial body of work. Of course you can say Magic>LeBron when it comes to their accomplishments, because at this point we probably aren't even to the halfway point of the latter's career.

It's better to go by individual stats and playing style over comparable career periods taking into account their team situations.

plowking
08-28-2010, 02:10 AM
7/40:

tony parker won but duncan won three before that so it didn't really matter. (he has 4 rings as the man)

Dave cowens lost out to jojo white, but he was never in GOAT contention or close to it anyways.

Maxwell beat out bird, but bird ended up getting multiple fmvps (rings as the man) anyways.

And in the past 20 years, only 1 guy was not in contention for the best player on his team. Throughout the whole 90s, the best player always got it. In the 2000s, tony parker has been the only exception.

So in modern times, 19/20, yes it is 95% rings as the man.

You don't take away these things because Cowens isn't in GOAT contention. :oldlol:
He was the man on the team and he wasn't given the award.

Same goes with Duncan and Bird.

And Shannon, thank you. Seems like you're one of the few with some common sense.

tpols
08-28-2010, 02:21 AM
You don't take away these things because Cowens isn't in GOAT contention. :oldlol:
He was the man on the team and he wasn't given the award.

Same goes with Duncan and Bird.

And Shannon, thank you. Seems like you're one of the few with some common sense.
Again, especially for ranking players in modern times, fmvps signify rings as the man. Can you dispute that 18/19 of the last 20 fmvps were given to the man on the team?

plowking
08-28-2010, 02:26 AM
Again, especially for ranking players in modern times, fmvps signify rings as the man. Can you dispute that 18/19 of the last 20 fmvps were given to the man on the team?

No they weren't.

Tony Parker, Paul Pierce...

And why limit yourself to 20 years? Convenience.

Just admit you're wrong. No shame.

DeeDee
08-28-2010, 02:37 AM

:applause: :applause:

tpols
08-28-2010, 02:53 AM
No they weren't.

Tony Parker, Paul Pierce...

And why limit yourself to 20 years? Convenience.

Just admit you're wrong. No shame.
Paul Pierce wasn't the man on that boston team:oldlol: Now YOU'RE reachin.:lol

FMVPs have shown that they signify rings as the man and you haven't done anything to dispute this except name the minority exceptions:confusedshrug:

plowking
08-28-2010, 03:00 AM
Paul Pierce wasn't the man on that boston team:oldlol: Now YOU'RE reachin.:lol

FMVPs have shown that they signify rings as the man and you haven't done anything to dispute this except name the minority exceptions:confusedshrug:

No, Kevin Garnett was clearly the best player on that team.

No, 25-30% is not exceptions. That is a chunk.

I haven't done anything to dispute it because you're too damn stupid to understand what's written in front of you.

tpols
08-28-2010, 03:09 AM
No, Kevin Garnett was clearly the best player on that team.

No, 25-30% is not exceptions. That is a chunk.

I haven't done anything to dispute it because you're too damn stupid to understand what's written in front of you.
Who was given the ball during the clutch? Who struggled and took the celtics through the playoffs the whole decade? Who was captain and leader of the team? That ring belonged to pierce and you know it.

You've been shut down now gtfo with what little pride you have left.

eliteballer
08-28-2010, 03:36 AM
:oldlol: Gotta love this chump plowking trying to pass judgment on Magic when he was still a fetus when he was playing.

Magic could play all 5 positions, only player in history who could truly do that. Led the league in steals. Outplayed Prime Bird in the 85 and 87 Finals despite being 3 years younger. Had a devastating post game. Could slash as 6-9 freight train with guard quicks that no one could stop. Could shoot 90% from the FT line. Could shoot near 40% from 3 when he took enough. Won MVP's over Prime Jordan. Stats got BETTER as his teamates got worse. Kareem retired and Magic led LA to the best record in the league one year and the Finals the next. Averaged 15/6/7 at age 36 FIVE years after retiring and contracting HIV. Could score, pass, rebound at an elite level. Basically could plug any gap on your team. That's the TRUE measure of a player. Wilt said he didn't think there had ever been a player better than Magic.

plowking
08-28-2010, 03:42 AM
:oldlol: Gotta love this chump plowking trying to pass judgment on Magic when he was still a fetus when he was playing.

Magic could play all 5 positions, only player in history who could truly do that. Led the league in steals. Outplayed Prime Bird in the 85 and 87 Finals despite being 3 years younger. Had a devastating post game. Could slash as 6-9 freight train with guard quicks that no one could stop. Could shoot 90% from the FT line. Could shoot near 40% from 3 when he took enough. Won MVP's over Prime Jordan. Stats got BETTER as his teamates got worse. Kareem retired and Magic led LA to the best record in the league one year and the Finals the next. Averaged 15/6/7 at age 36 FIVE years after retiring and contracting HIV. Could score, pass, rebound at an elite level. Basically could plug any gap on your team. That's the TRUE measure of a player. Wilt said he didn't think there had ever been a player better than Magic.

And yet I with the utmost confidence I can say I've watched more games than you have of Magic...

Show me that he could play all 5 positions. He's never done, so why should I believe he could?

tpols
08-28-2010, 04:12 AM
And yet I with the utmost confidence I can say I've watched more games than you have of Magic...

Show me that he could play all 5 positions. He's never done, so why should I believe he could?
He played center in a finals game and came up with 42 points 15 rebounds and seven assists. What the **** do you want?

His range was from center to point guard. He had it all and was the very definition of a skilled player who makes his teammates better.

Kobe 4 The Win
08-28-2010, 05:59 AM

I flat out guarantee that I have seen more Magic Johnson games than you have. Magic has been my favorite player my whole life. I watched him play live and on tv back in the day and I sill have a lot of his games on video/dvd.

On ISH a lot of us disagree and have our own opinions about who is the best player. If you think that Lebron is a better player then so be it. You have a right to your own opinion. However, when it comes to Magic Johnson, it's obvious that you don't know what the f**k you are talking about. He could play and did play all 5 positions when it was necessary. That is a fact, it is not opinion.

whatever666
08-28-2010, 06:10 AM
Magic has won lol. A lot. Not just rings but more individual accomplishments too. Magic improved his teammates. ---->Lebron didn't<------. In fact, lebron bailed on his teammates without so much as a phone call.

hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :applause:

Tpols you should change the P with an R.

Kobe8
08-28-2010, 06:26 AM
Cant Believe Douche Nozzles are comparing MJ and Lebron... WTF..

This is pathetic.. :facepalm

whatever666
08-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Cant Believe Douche Nozzles are comparing MJ and Lebron... WTF..

This is pathetic.. :facepalm

Yea me neither... Lebron is much better than Magic was....

(you do know we are comparing them as players, not their careers)

Career: Magic > Lebron (doh)

Talent/Skill: Lebron > Magic (doh)

Kobe8
08-28-2010, 06:35 AM
Yea me neither... Lebron is much better than Magic was....

(you do know we are comparing them as players, not their careers)

Career: Magic > Lebron (doh)

Talent/Skill: Lebron > Magic (doh)

Kno your history... Suggestion from me is nba.com im guessin basketball-references.com is too advanced 4 you.

Nobler
08-28-2010, 06:44 AM
Kno your history... Suggestion from me is nba.com im guessin basketball-references.com is too advanced 4 you.

and yet you dispute nothing?

plowking
08-28-2010, 06:45 AM
He played center in a finals game and came up with 42 points 15 rebounds and seven assists. What the **** do you want?

His range was from center to point guard. He had it all and was the very definition of a skilled player who makes his teammates better.

You and your nut riding friend Kobe 4 The Win are dumb as shit.

I've already told you that he was simply named at center and took the jump ball. He didn't guard Dawkins, nor did Dawkins guard Magic at all throughout the entire game. The entire game Magic was guarded by Julius pretty much since the majority of the game Magic was playing at the top and creating like he usually does (a PG, switching between the SF position). Even when he went down to the post, Julius was guarding him. And when they did switch up defenders on him, it was Cheeks, the 6'0 PG guarding him. Hell even on defense when they weren't running a zone Magic was guarding the smaller guys on the court.
Go watch the game.

triangleoffense
08-28-2010, 07:22 AM
I flat out guarantee that I have seen more Magic Johnson games than you have. Magic has been my favorite player my whole life. I watched him play live and on tv back in the day and I sill have a lot of his games on video/dvd.

On ISH a lot of us disagree and have our own opinions about who is the best player. If you think that Lebron is a better player then so be it. You have a right to your own opinion. However, when it comes to Magic Johnson, it's obvious that you don't know what the f**k you are talking about. He could play and did play all 5 positions when it was necessary. That is a fact, it is not opinion.

good post

playball201
08-28-2010, 10:30 AM
I think that lebron is magic and kobe is jordan

Ikill
08-28-2010, 11:03 AM

That Finals trip was so lucky his team was ok not shit Larry Hughes was pretty good at that time Z was only 31 and probably a top 15 center Donyell Marshall was a good shooter off the bench along with Daniel gilbson. Drew gooden was solid starting pf averaging 12 and 9 and Anderson Verago was a good hustle player off the bench. Not a finals type of roster but neither were the teams they beat Lebron had a better team than the Nets or Wizards and all three teams they beat were injured. So that finals trip was not impressive at all.

Ikill
08-28-2010, 11:04 AM
I don't know if Magic stat padded or not but Lebron clearly does

whatever666
08-28-2010, 01:08 PM

Bro... Magic Johnson was my favorite player of all time, i have followed him since the 1984 finals.

But i am not biased... Magic despite being that good was never a better individual player than Lebron. The only thing Magic possessed more than Lebron is passing ability somewhat... but ofcourse, Magic was the best passer in NBA history and it had a bit to do also with him being a pass first PG who passed the ball like if it would burn his hands if he didnt get rid of it immediately.

Everything else is on Lebrons favour... Lebron & Magic talents/skills are similar but Lebron is like a Magic on steroids, he does more of almost everything.... you talk about http://www.basketball-reference.com

Ok then, here you go:

LEBRON career stats:
~28 ppg
~7 rpg
~7 apg
~2 spg
~1 bpg
Career Production/Efficiency rating: 26.86 (Ranked #2 behind only Jordan as the most productive ingame player in NBA history)

MAGIC career stats:
~19 ppg
~7 rpg
~11 apg
~2 spg
~0 bpg
Career Production/Efficiency rating: 24.11 (Ranked #12)

Magic realistically speaking was just a 6

Kobe 4 The Win
08-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Oh, so this isn't Caldwell Jones and Dawkins guarding Magic here?

Ha ha, busted you biatch!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/IpreferKeaton/misc/Sports/1980Magic2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/IpreferKeaton/misc/Sports/1980Magic3.jpg

Kobe 4 The Win
08-28-2010, 01:44 PM
[QUOTE=whatever666]Bro... Magic Johnson was my favorite player of all time, i have followed him since the 1984 finals.

But i am not biased... Magic despite being that good was never a better individual player than Lebron. The only thing Magic possessed more than Lebron is passing ability somewhat... but ofcourse, Magic was the best passer in NBA history and it had a bit to do also with him being a pass first PG who passed the ball like if it would burn his hands if he didnt get rid of it immediately.

Everything else is on Lebrons favour... Lebron & Magic talents/skills are similar but Lebron is like a Magic on steroids, he does more of almost everything.... you talk about http://www.basketball-reference.com

Ok then, here you go:

LEBRON career stats:
~28 ppg
~7 rpg
~7 apg
~2 spg
~1 bpg
Career Production/Efficiency rating: 26.86 (Ranked #2 behind only Jordan as the most productive ingame player in NBA history)

MAGIC career stats:
~19 ppg
~7 rpg
~11 apg
~2 spg
~0 bpg
Career Production/Efficiency rating: 24.11 (Ranked #12)

Magic realistically speaking was just a 6

Kobe 4 The Win
08-28-2010, 01:56 PM
"But i am not biased... Magic despite being that good was never a better individual player than Lebron."

Even if that were true, which it isn't, what difference would it make? Basketball is not an individual sport, it's a team sport. Think about how absurd basketball would be if it was just one dude running around on the court showing of his moves and taking shots. lol

NoGunzJustSkillz
08-28-2010, 01:59 PM
kobe 4 the win, kobe 4 the win :cheers:

whatever666
08-28-2010, 02:14 PM
[QUOTE=whatever666]
But i am not biased... Magic despite being that good was never a better individual player than Lebron. QUOTE]

Even if that were true, which it isn't, what difference would it make? Basketball is not an individual sport, it's a team sport. Think about how absurd basketball would be if it was just one dude running around on the court showing of his moves and taking shots. lol

Absolutely, but we were still talking about that other subject previously.... its ok to talk about individual talent/skill/gamestyle, comparing that way and so on.

Talking about career then we cant make this comparasant afterall, that would not be fair towards Lebron considering he is not even half way done with his career and would be disrespectfull towards Magic considering he had like one of the best careers of all time.

Phong
08-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Bro... Magic Johnson was my favorite player of all time, i have followed him since the 1984 finals.

Date of Birth:
January 6, 1981 :blah

KoRn
08-28-2010, 02:29 PM
haha.

Kobe 4 The Win
08-28-2010, 02:29 PM
I don't want you guys to get the wrong idea. Lebron is a sick sick player and I enjoy watching him. He's still young and he's gonna get his someday. I just feel like Magic's true skills are being undervalued and he's not being given his due respect. Magic was a winner and had a great career but he also had the individual skills and could be just as big a stat monster as Lebron if circumstances were different.

plowking
08-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Oh, so this isn't Caldwell Jones and Dawkins guarding Magic here?

Ha ha, busted you biatch!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/IpreferKeaton/misc/Sports/1980Magic2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/IpreferKeaton/misc/Sports/1980Magic3.jpg

Did you just use pictures to try and verify someone guarding someone? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Holy shit... :oldlol:

And here is Shaq guarding Jason Kidd which verifies Kidd played center in the game. :oldlol:

http://www.nbaobsessed.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/shaq-nc-afpphotos119099-bkn-lakers-suns-kid.jpg

branslowski
08-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Did you just use pictures to try and verify someone guarding someone? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Holy shit... :oldlol:

And here is Shaq guarding Jason Kidd which verifies Kidd played center in the game. :oldlol:

http://www.nbaobsessed.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/shaq-nc-afpphotos119099-bkn-lakers-suns-kid.jpg

:roll: :roll: :roll:

eliteballer
08-28-2010, 10:54 PM
Oh woe is me for having to deal with these delinquent juveniles like plowqueen:lol

Magic played center plenty of times in his career during lineup shifts and mismatches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYNDWaEmqto

Look at him whenever Philly is on offense. He's in the PAINT playing the center role defensively. On offense, he wasn't guarded by their bigs every time because he was also playing PG handling the ball, they needed to keep them in the paint or else it would have been layups all day for LA inside with Magic blowing by Dawkins and Jones. Next thing you know this guy is going to be telling us about the first games Naismith ran:roll:

Gotta love this chump plowking trying to pass judgment on Magic when he was still a fetus when he was playing.

:pimp:

plowking
08-29-2010, 01:42 AM
Oh woe is me for having to deal with these delinquent juveniles like plowqueen:lol

Magic played center plenty of times in his career during lineup shifts and mismatches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYNDWaEmqto

Look at him whenever Philly is on offense. He's in the PAINT playing the center role defensively. On offense, he wasn't guarded by their bigs every time because he was also playing PG handling the ball, they needed to keep them in the paint or else it would have been layups all day for LA inside with Magic blowing by Dawkins and Jones. Next thing you know this guy is going to be telling us about the first games Naismith ran:roll:

Playing down low in a zone formation doesn't make you the center. Particularly if you're not playing the middle of the zone.

I can comment on the game since I watched it. I seriously doubt you had until you watched that youtube video and tried to justify your incorrect stance.

eliteballer
08-29-2010, 03:30 AM
I GREW UP watching Magic chump, so don't YOU dare tell me what I've seen or haven't seen. That's the beauty of Magic that you can't understand. He played PG AND C in the same game. He was the most versatile player in NBA history.

plowking
08-29-2010, 03:39 AM
I GREW UP watching Magic chump, so don't YOU dare tell me what I've seen or haven't seen. That's the beauty of Magic that you can't understand. He played PG AND C in the same game. He was the most versatile player in NBA history.

I highly doubt you grew up watching Magic play. With the way you post I'd have trouble believing you're over 17 years old. Though considering your join date, you're probably just a dumbass 22-23 year old.
So really, you haven't seen more basketball than I have.

Also, you have no proof Magic played center. Playing low in a zone doesn't mean you're the center. He played at the top of the key and created on offense. Let me guess, Erving and Cheeks at 6'0 and 6'6 respectively guarded all the teams centers, right? :oldlol:
On defense Magic picked up the SF for most of the game.

Kobe 4 The Win
08-29-2010, 05:17 AM
I'm watching the game right now. To quote Magic before the game "I will be playing center and forward depending on what play is called."

The starting lineup

PG - Nixon
SG - Coop
SF - Wilkes
PF - Chones
C - Magic Johnson

I've watched the entire first quarter so far. Magic is clearly guarding Caldwell Jones. He was being guarded by Erving, Caldwell Jones and Bobby Jones at different times in the period.

Blowking, you are full of s**t. You will likely deny it, but you have been proven wrong. Better luck next time.

eliteballer
08-29-2010, 06:11 AM
I highly doubt you grew up watching Magic play. With the way you post I'd have trouble believing you're over 17 years old. Though considering your join date, you're probably just a dumbass 22-23 year old.
So really, you haven't seen more basketball than I have.

Also, you have no proof Magic played center. Playing low in a zone doesn't mean you're the center. He played at the top of the key and created on offense. Let me guess, Erving and Cheeks at 6'0 and 6'6 respectively guarded all the teams centers, right? :oldlol:
On defense Magic picked up the SF for most of the game.

:roll: Keep making up your bullsh!t if it makes you feel better, the proof is all out there, you havent refuted a single one of my legitimate points, not just about him playing center but calling him overrated.

plowking
08-29-2010, 07:16 AM
I've watched the entire first quarter so far. Magic is clearly guarding Caldwell Jones. He was being guarded by Erving, Caldwell Jones and Bobby Jones at different times in the period.

Blowking, you are full of s**t. You will likely deny it, but you have been proven wrong. Better luck next time.

What I'm I going to deny?

You reiterated what I just said; that he never played center.

He guarded Caldwell Jones only when Dawkins was on the floor playing center. So Magic was playing low in the zone, playing the power forward position on defense.

So yes, he played 1-4, though he never played the center position apart from a jumpball if you want to count that.

tpols
08-29-2010, 10:18 AM
What I'm I going to deny?

You reiterated what I just said; that he never played center.

He guarded Caldwell Jones only when Dawkins was on the floor playing center. So Magic was playing low in the zone, playing the power forward position on defense.

So yes, he played 1-4, though he never played the center position apart from a jumpball if you want to count that.
This guys full of him self. What a fakkit.:facepalm

not even worth debating with.

Desperado
08-29-2010, 02:48 PM
He started at center in game 6. Nobody said he played the whole game, he also played some forward and guard in the game.

mayo'sgrizz
08-29-2010, 02:51 PM
they r veryyyy simliar players and can def understand the comparison. lebron is more like magic and kobe is more like MJ

Kobe 4 The Win
08-29-2010, 03:04 PM
You are a hopeless retard.

Kobe 4 The Win
08-29-2010, 03:04 PM
i see Lakers fans like to stick up for their o so mighty Magic Johnson.

how cute.

F U

whatever666
09-03-2010, 04:36 PM
:blah

You know perfectly what i meant.... What, you cant have followed somebody without having watched him LIVE? I meant i have seen all the games i could possibly catch from him since a very young age, as my father who was a player and is a basketball coach was a big Magic Johnson/Larry Bird fan himself and has followed them live since their rookie days.... and kept very much footage (VCR tapes), i have seen probably over 1000 games with them by VCR/TV & thanks to Internet downloaded games.... Read Magics books aswell....

My point is, if you wanna know anything about Magic... with facts, im the guy to talk to.

Yet again, Magic was a one of a kind player... there was never another 6

Papaya Petee
09-03-2010, 05:03 PM
I have never, ever, ever, while reading and posting on ISH see anyone destroy as many people in one thread as PlowKing destroyed this fools in this thread.

Individually

LeBron>>> Magic, 30\7\7 over 24\12\6 any day.

Desperado
09-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Whoever would take Lebron over Magic would make the worst GM in NBA history.

Lebron admitted to everyone he's a side-kick and isn't built to run a team. It's clear as day.

Skip said it best: ''Lebron James is made for the regular season, he's a regular season dynamo, he's made for our Sports Center plays of the night, he's always number one in the regular season but come post season time... post season! he's the most overrated, over-hyped superstar in my history in this business.''

whatever666
09-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Whoever would take Lebron over Magic would make the worst GM in NBA history.

Lebron admitted to everyone he's a side-kick and isn't built to run a team. It's clear as day.

Skip said it best: ''Lebron James is made for the regular season, he's a regular season dynamo, he's made for our Sports Center plays of the night, he's always number one in the regular season but come post season time... post season! he's the most overrated, over-hyped superstar in my history in this business.''

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/6109/facepalmcn.gif

Yung D-Will
09-25-2010, 08:42 AM
Someone still arguing with me on youtube saying Nash can't make passes like Lebron :facepalm

chips93
09-25-2010, 08:47 AM

well as long as skip bayless said it

evilmonkey
09-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Someone still arguing with me on youtube saying Nash can't make passes like Lebron :facepalm

Haha, thats silly... Nash next to only Magic Johnson is the best mix of passing ability / court vision ive seen ever. But you know, Lebron aint really that ridicilously far of in that department...

According to me the best passing ability/court vision ive seen:

1. Magic Johnson
2. Steve Nash
3. John Stockton
4. Jason Kidd
5. Pete Maravich
6. Lebron James
7. Larry Bird
8. Isiah Thomas
9. Michael Jordan
10. Kevin Johnson

Keep in mind im speaking of pure passing ability / court vision, im not talking about players who simply just spammed passes/assists alot, averaging high assists is pretty normal amongst any starting pass first PG that plays enough minutes.... passing ability/court vision is not something that is always shown on the stats, you have to see it for yourself.... some players can possess super passing ability/court vision but simply chose to be more of a scorer (like Michael Jordan)...

Yung D-Will
09-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Haha, thats silly... Nash next to only Magic Johnson is the best mix of passing ability / court vision ive seen ever. But you know, Lebron aint really that ridicilously far of in that department...

According to me the best passing ability/court vision ive seen:

1. Magic Johnson
2. Steve Nash
3. John Stockton
4. Jason Kidd
5. Pete Maravich
6. Lebron James
7. Larry Bird
8. Isiah Thomas
9. Michael Jordan
10. Kevin Johnson

Keep in mind im speaking of pure passing ability / court vision, im not talking about players who simply just spammed passes/assists alot, averaging high assists is pretty normal amongst any starting pass first PG that plays enough minutes.... passing ability/court vision is not something that is always shown on the stats, you have to see it for yourself.... some players can possess super passing ability/court vision but simply chose to be more of a scorer (like Michael Jordan)...

Pretty good list though I'd have to put Stockton at number 1. From what I've seen there really aren't many players on par with his passing abilty/court vision

evilmonkey
09-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Pretty good list though I'd have to put Stockton at number 1. From what I've seen there really aren't many players on par with his passing abilty/court vision

Thanks, just my opinion... Stockton to me didnt standout over Nash/Magic when talking about raw passing ability/court vision, he seemed a bit more of the simple fundamental passer, he wasnt that flashy and creative with his passes as Nash/Magic... he wouldnt throw that many "risky" passes....

He always kept it secure, fundamental and got the job done all the time with efficiency... the perfect traditional PG. But at the other end a bit more boring playmaking than Nash/Magic to me.... but hey thats just what ive seen.

PS: This gave me the idea for a new thread! :D

anyonebutmiami
09-25-2010, 09:48 AM

That's an insult to Magic. When did Magic ever quit on his team? Never!!!

asdf1990
09-25-2010, 10:27 AM
That's an insult to Magic. When did Magic ever quit on his team? Never!!!

i forgot lebron had one of the GOAT on his team.

Rose
09-25-2010, 10:37 AM
i forgot lebron had one of the GOAT on his team.
And Magic also was a greatest of all time?

Kobe 4 The Win
09-25-2010, 08:16 PM
I have never, ever, ever, while reading and posting on ISH see anyone destroy as many people in one thread as PlowKing destroyed this fools in this thread.

Individually

LeBron>>> Magic, 30\7\7 over 24\12\6 any day.

Magic's numbers are incredible when you consider that he deferred to Kareem for much of his career and mainly focused on getting other guys involved. There's no doubt in my mind that had Magic been drafted by a talentless crap team like Lebron, that he would have been an even bigger stat-monster. Look at the shots per game that magic took, very low.

If you are obsessed with stats, that would be great. I'm not. I know how amazing Magic Johnson was. I know how he won championships at every level and made his teams better. Lebron is obviously an amazing player, but to be compared to Magic? uh, not so fast.

KG5MVP
09-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Magic's numbers are incredible when you consider that he deferred to Kareem for much of his career and mainly focused on getting other guys involved. There's no doubt in my mind that had Magic been drafted by a talentless crap team like Lebron, that he would have been an even bigger stat-monster. Look at the shots per game that magic took, very low.

If you are obsessed with stats, that would be great. I'm not. I know how amazing Magic Johnson was. I know how he won championships at every level and made his teams better. Lebron is obviously an amazing player, but to be compared to Magic? uh, not so fast.

What exactly did Magic accomplish after Kareem retired?

And Magic's stats didn't just suddenly jump to Lebron's level once Kareem left.

Kobe 4 The Win
09-25-2010, 08:40 PM
What exactly did Magic accomplish after Kareem retired?

And Magic's stats didn't just suddenly jump to Lebron's level once Kareem left.

Magic only payed 2 years without Kareem. Magic won an MVP award in 1990 and took the Lakers to the finals in 1991.

After Kareem retired Magic was on the back side of his career, he wasn't 20 years old. He also still played for the Lakers, a decently talented and contending team. We had a Hall of Fame player in James Worthy that needed his shots. It's not the same thing as Lebron being drafted at 18 by the Cleveland Cadavers and being a one man team that has the ball in his hands for 48 minutes. Magic's role was not to play 1 on 5 basketball like Lebron has been doing.

KG5MVP
09-25-2010, 08:45 PM
Magic only payed 2 years without Kareem. Magic won an MVP award in 1990 and took the Lakers to the finals in 1991.

After Kareem retired Magic was on the back side of his career, he wasn't 20 years old. He also still played for the Lakers, a decently talented and contending team. We had a Hall of Fame player in James Worthy that needed his shots. It's not the same thing as Lebron being drafted at 18 by the Cleveland Cadavers and being a one man team that has the ball in his hands for 48 minutes. Magic's role was not to play 1 on 5 basketball like Lebron has been doing.

So by your reasoning, Magic was "underperforming" because he had HOF teammates, and Lebron is stat padding on a sh1t team.

While at the same time, Magic is greater because he won more with his HOF teammates, and Lebron is a loser and quitter because he had a sh1t team.

Kobe 4 The Win
09-25-2010, 09:53 PM
When did I call Lebron a loser? You must have chip on your shoulder or something. Magic won championships at every level. Players that win are always held in greater regard than players that don't. That doesn't make Lebron a "loser". I didn't make the rules dude. That's just the way it is.

Again, I believe that Magic would have had even more impressive stats if he was drafted to a low level team without a couple of Hall of Fame players. If he was required to take on more of the load like Lebron is, he was perfectly capable of doing so. They were drafted into completely different situations.

Magic's role on the Lakers was not to score as much as Lebron. He was a point guard and a playmaker, not primarily a scorer. When Kareem's production slowed, Magic increased his scoring a little bit. Magic was plenty talented and was capable of scoring as much as Lebron in my opinion. If you don't agree, so what? It doesn't bother me. Don't take it personal dude.

seoerizer
09-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Kobe is like Michael Jordan
Funniest post ever.