PDA

View Full Version : 1997 NBA Playoffs

Da_Realist
08-27-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm going to post some games here in this thread that I'm uploading from the 97 Playoffs. This year had everything -- MJ is better this year than he was in 96, Pippen at his best, Shaq in his prime before Phil Jackson gets there, Kobe shows potential, Knicks/Heat, Stockton-to-Malone, KJ/Nash/Kidd, Olajuwon/Barkley/Drexler and Webber/Howard/Strickland on the same teams. Even a little Payton and Shawn Kemp. Great playoff season.

I'll just post the games in this thread. Enjoy. :cheers:

Da_Realist
08-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Washington Bullets @ Chicago Bulls
1st Round Game 1
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/3D2FB843037242B8

Jordan puts the clamps on Rod Strickland

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199704250CHI.html

Da_Realist
Portland Trailblazers @ LA Lakers
1st Round Game 1
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/C8C42AD01341B54E

Shaq -- 46 points, 11 rebounds

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199704250LAL.html

Da_Realist
1st Round Game 2
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/06518A92B8D8B53F

Jordan with an amazing performance here -- 55 points on 63% shooting. I'll just link to a previous thread -->

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188563

che guevara
08-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Round Mound made a thread yesterday about Jordan's 55 point game, here was my post:

55 points with just one made three - Jordan put on a clinic in midrange shooting that game. The Bullets played the Bulls surprisingly tough in that series even though they got swept. Also on display in that game is Webber's phenomenal passing, and he hit 3 threes despite bricking 4 of his 6 FTs.

Curious, what's your opinion on the '96 vs. '97 Bulls? I know the Bulls had a better record in '96 and lost one less playoff game, but their competition was better in '97 and Jordan/Pippen both played better. Brian Williams was also better off the bench than Wennington.

DatWasNashty
08-27-2010, 07:06 PM
:cheers:

These were probably my favorite playoffs along with the '91, '93, '94, '95 and '06. Chapman was ballin in that postseason. Suns could've beat Seattle in game 4 after Chapman hit that miraculous three. Didn't get the job done in OT. We got blown out in game 5. Only thing I hated was how the Rockets didn't get it done against the Jazz. I remember Barkley having little success against Malone down low which led to stagnating the offense a bit and Stockton had his way with Maloney. Drexler was also having trouble against the combo of Russell/Anderson and he was fairly limited through games 1-5. The Knicks would've also beat the Heat if it wasn't for those suspensions. And a Bulls/Knicks series > Bulls/Heat.

che guevara, I feel the '97 Bulls were better because they had another threat lowpost threat and a rebounder in Brian Williams that they picked up late in the season. Given more time, he could've understood the triangle a bit better and had more of an impact if given the minutes. This was a guy who put up good numbers on a playoff team in the next season. And the chemistry between Jordan and Pippen was at its peak. Rodman wasn't up to his standards this postseason but he did a good job getting under Zo's skin in the ECF and troubled Malone in the finals. They could've also won 70+ games if Kukoc, Longley and Rodman were healthy. That said, I feel the second 3 peat Bulls are overrated in general. First 3 peat Bulls were better because they were younger, more athletic and MJ had that 6th gear that he didn't possess in the 2nd 3 peat years.

Da_Realist
08-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Curious, what's your opinion on the '96 vs. '97 Bulls? I know the Bulls had a better record in '96 and lost one less playoff game, but their competition was better in '97 and Jordan/Pippen both played better. Brian Williams was also better off the bench than Wennington.

--->
che guevara, I feel the '97 Bulls were better because they had another threat lowpost threat and a rebounder in Brian Williams that they picked up late in the season. Given more time, he could've understood the triangle a bit better and had more of an impact if given the minutes. This was a guy who put up good numbers on a playoff team in the next season. And the chemistry between Jordan and Pippen was at its peak. Rodman wasn't up to his standards this postseason but he did a good job getting under Zo's skin in the ECF and troubled Malone in the finals. They could've also won 70+ games if Kukoc, Longley and Rodman were healthy. That said, I feel the second 3 peat Bulls are overrated in general. First 3 peat Bulls were better because they were younger, more athletic and MJ had that 6th gear that he didn't possess in the 2nd 3 peat years.

^^^ This is exactly how I feel -- except for that "2nd 3Peat Bulls are overrated" part. I will say this, though. MJ was a boss in 97. More spring in his legs, quicker and stronger. There is a noticeable difference from 96 if you watch enough games. It sounds unbelievable, but I think he was still working himself back even throughout the 96 season.

Which means, we lost 3 seasons where MJ was either not playing or he was playing at less than his full capacity. I think 97 was his first real season back.

KenneBell
08-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Nah, I think he was better in '96. I do believe that Jordan could have been more prepared for the long playoff run in '97 though.

Da_Realist
08-27-2010, 08:06 PM
1st Round Game 3
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/84BABE0CC2A59216

Great game by both teams. Washington was better than people remember. Chris Webber was 8-10 this game and Rod Strickland had 24 points, 9 assists. MJ and Pippen led the way for the Bulls. The last few minutes of the fourth when the Bulls came back from a significant deficit to win the game is a must-see. Pippen saves the day with a back breaking layup to win the game.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199704300WSB.html

OldSchoolBBall
08-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Nah, I think he was better in '96. I do believe that Jordan could have been more prepared for the long playoff run in '97 though.

He definitely had better hops in '97 than '96. It's very noticeable. He may have been a tad faster as well. But leaping-wise, he definitely had his basketball legs back more in '97 than '96.

Samurai Swoosh
08-27-2010, 08:12 PM
He definitely had better hops in '97 than '96. It's very noticeable. He may have been a tad faster as well. But leaping-wise, he definitely had his basketball legs back more in '97 than '96.
WHAT .... Loki, stop it. Each year saw Jordan decline in athleticism when he came back. Hell, "basketball shape" aside ... he was still making more athletic plays in April and May of 2005 while wearing #45 in the playoffs than he did in 1996. Do you want me to show you the clips?

OldSchoolBBall
08-27-2010, 08:18 PM
WHAT .... Loki, stop it. Each year saw Jordan decline in athleticism when he came back. Hell, "basketball shape" aside ... he was still making more athletic plays in April and May of 2005 while wearing #45 in the playoffs than he did in 1996. Do you want me to show you the clips?

No - he was definitely more athletic in '95 than '96, but his hops in particular I felt were better in '97 than '96. In '96, especially in the playoffs, there were a few dunks where he barely got air (think of the famous dunk on Orlando when Pippen grabbed Penny on the break to stop him from challenging). In '97 he had more spring to his step imo. But no, he was never as quick as he was during that '95 comeback run again. I think it was because he bulked up more after that.

DuMa
08-27-2010, 08:24 PM
juwan howard sighting!!!!!

Da_Realist
08-27-2010, 08:25 PM

I've watched a ton of games from 95 - 97 recently. He's a better overall player in 97 than he was in either 95 or 96. That's just my opinion. He did lose something due to age, but overall he was a better player in 97. Whatever he lost in pure explosiveness, he gained through strength and discipline. And he attacked the rim like in the old days. He killed the Bullets in the first round. Against the Hawks, Rodman stops rebounding and MJ goes out and grabs 11 boards in game 1, then grabbed 16 in game 2. I don't think he had less than 8 throughout the whole series. I'm not sure Jordan had that extra gear in 96.

Da_Realist
08-27-2010, 09:38 PM
Seattle Supersonics @ Phoenix Suns
1st Round Game 4
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/7DE89BFE97F51264

Rex Chapman!!! I was a junior in undergrad watching the game in our student center. When Rex hit that shot, the building went NUTS! This was back when the NBA had multiple games on every night and this was the late game. The student center was supposed to shut down at midnight, but we were in there well past 1am. A great experience matched only by the one where I watched Game 1 of the 93 Finals at Boys State. But that's a different story. Anyway, great shot by Rex.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705010PHO.html

FormerSunsFan
08-27-2010, 10:00 PM
1st Round Game 4

Rex Chapman!!! I was a junior in undergrad watching the game in our student center. When Rex hit that shot, the building went NUTS! This was back when the NBA had multiple games on every night and this was the late game. The student center was supposed to shut down at midnight, but we were in there well past 1am. A great experience matched only by the one where I watched Game 1 of the 93 Finals at Boys State. But that's a different story. Anyway, great shot by Rex.

Wow, I still remember that night. I didn't get any homework done--but that was a common occurrence.

Looking back, that roster really sucks. I don't know how they did it. 5 points from your starting frontcourt--wtf?? Rex Chapman :bowdown:

DatWasNashty
08-27-2010, 10:39 PM
--->

^^^ This is exactly how I feel -- except for that "2nd 3Peat Bulls are overrated" part. I will say this, though. MJ was a boss in 97. More spring in his legs, quicker and stronger. There is a noticeable difference from 96 if you watch enough games. It sounds unbelievable, but I think he was still working himself back even throughout the 96 season.

Which means, we lost 3 seasons where MJ was either not playing or he was playing at less than his full capacity. I think 97 was his first real season back.

Only reason I feel they were overrated is because they weren't as good in contrast to the first 3 peat Bulls. Everybody looks at their season record, how they won 72 games and ends up declaring them the best. I feel the league from '90-93 was stronger and more competitive than it was in the late 90s. '93 Suns, '92 Blazers, '93 Knicks are better than any team the Bulls faced later on. You can even put the '91 Lakers in there granted everybody's healthy. I always got the feeling the 2nd 3 peat Bulls won by simply outmatching their opponents. Only time they weren't favored to win a series was the '98 finals and that had more to do with the Bulls being fatigued out (7 game series with IND) than how good the Jazz were. And if they call that pushoff on Reggie, series doesn't even go 7 games since it was all about controlling homecourt. Besides, I feel the first 3 peat Bulls were a bit better defensively since they had a better full court press, halfcourt trap due to the superior athleticism MJ and Pippen possessed along with being able to exert more energy on that end (superior stamina, legs etc). Grant had much more of an impact on offense than Rodman did while being more than solid defensively. Less of a headcase too. First 3 peat Bulls were better in transition as well and they seemed more hungrier to me; especially the '91 team. I think I read somewhere that MJ said the '93 team was the best.

Thanks for putting up the Suns game. That was a good series besides game 5. I remember Chapman lighting it up in game 1. Had 40 something points. Then that miraculous 3 in game 4. I wish we got the job done in OT. :violin:

Da_Realist
08-27-2010, 10:44 PM
LA Lakers @ Portland Trailblazers
1st Round Game 3
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/BA44AADE78B6CFE4

Kobe's coming out party. Portland builds a huge lead and Del Harris finally takes the chains off the kid. This was the first time he played a significant amount of minutes in a playoff game. He didn't disappoint. Everyone could now see why everyone thought so highly of the kid. His play almost led the Lakers back from a 31 point lead.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199704300POR.html

che guevara
08-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Only reason I feel they were overrated is because they weren't as good in contrast to the first 3 peat Bulls. Everybody looks at their season record, how they won 72 games and ends up declaring them the best. I feel the league from '90-93 was stronger and more competitive than it was in the late 90s. '93 Suns, '92 Blazers, '93 Knicks are better than any team the Bulls faced later on. You can even put the '91 Lakers in there granted everybody's healthy. I always got the feeling the 2nd 3 peat Bulls won by simply outmatching their opponents. Only time they weren't favored to win a series was the '98 finals and that had more to do with the Bulls being fatigued out (7 game series with IND) than how good the Jazz were. And if they call that pushoff on Reggie, series doesn't even go 7 games since it was all about controlling homecourt. Besides, I feel the first 3 peat Bulls were a bit better defensively since they had a better full court press, halfcourt trap due to the superior athleticism MJ and Pippen possessed along with being able to exert more energy on that end (superior stamina, legs etc). Grant had much more of an impact on offense than Rodman did while being more than solid defensively. Less of a headcase too. First 3 peat Bulls were better in transition as well and they seemed more hungrier to me; especially the '91 team. I think I read somewhere that MJ said the '93 team was the best.

Thanks for putting up the Suns game. That was a good series besides game 5. I remember Chapman lighting it up in game 1. Had 40 something points. Then that miraculous 3 in game 4. I wish we got the job done in OT. :violin:
Are you sure it was the '93 team? They had the worst record of any of their 6 title seasons (57 wins) and legitimately had some struggles during the regular season. Pippen and Grant both had down years that season which hurt the Bulls, and if it wasn't for Charles Smith being a bonehead in game 5 of the ECF, the Knicks probably win that series.

Jacks3
08-27-2010, 11:15 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tiny.cgi?id=EO2eL

How the **** was 97 Jordan>96 Jordan? 96 Jordan was better across the board. :facepalm

che guevara
08-27-2010, 11:27 PM
No - he was definitely more athletic in '95 than '96, but his hops in particular I felt were better in '97 than '96. In '96, especially in the playoffs, there were a few dunks where he barely got air (think of the famous dunk on Orlando when Pippen grabbed Penny on the break to stop him from challenging). In '97 he had more spring to his step imo. But no, he was never as quick as he was during that '95 comeback run again. I think it was because he bulked up more after that.
I thought he was noticeably quicker in '97 as well. Watch his 50 point game vs. the Heat early in the season, he looks like '93 Jordan with some of his quick moves and dunks. During the game the announcers talk about how he was struggling with knee problems in the '96 season, and after the game MJ says that he lost some weight during the offseason and that he felt like he got some of his quickness back.

Did MJ get any poster dunks in '96 or '97? The only two I can think of in the 2nd 3-peat were in '98 (one on Kemp and one on Ostertag).

Da_Realist
08-27-2010, 11:30 PM

How the **** was 97 Jordan>96 Jordan? 96 Jordan was better across the board. :facepalm

Well, I certainly can't argue against the stats

I also said 97 Bulls > 96 Bulls even though the 96 Bulls had a better regular season AND playoff record. How dare I go against numbers. :facepalm

Jacks3
08-27-2010, 11:39 PM
lol @ equating team records with stats like PPG/APG/RPG and all the advanced stats. But seriously. How was 97 MJ better when his numbers--playing the exact same role mind you--were worse across the board. :confusedshrug:

ShaqAttack3234
08-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the games! A hell of a lot of good ones to choose from.

Da_Realist
08-27-2010, 11:49 PM
lol @ equating team records with stats like PPG/APG/RPG and all the advanced stats. But seriously. How was 97 MJ better when his numbers--playing the exact same role mind you--were worse across the board. :confusedshrug:

The same way I believe he was better in 91 than he was in 88, despite the numbers being worse across the board -- by watching him play. It's a subjective opinion, but at least it's based on his actual play and not analyzing his box scores. I made it a point not to even look at all the advanced stats before stating my opinion. He was noticeably quicker, stronger and he had a lot more stamina than he did in 96.

DatWasNashty
08-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Are you sure it was the '93 team? They had the worst record of any of their 6 title seasons (57 wins) and legitimately had some struggles during the regular season. Pippen and Grant both had down years that season which hurt the Bulls, and if it wasn't for Charles Smith being a bonehead in game 5 of the ECF, the Knicks probably win that series.

I'm positive he said so. I don't have a link but I'll try looking for it. Also, I wouldn't hold their season record against them because they were coasting throughout the year. MJ and Pippen were most likely fatigued out due to being on the Dream team and every team in the league was gunning for them since they were back to back champs. Playoffs, they were at top form.

Regarding his poster dunks, he had one on Mutombo in the '97 playoffs and one on Sura in the '97 season. Those are the only ones I can think of right now.

Da_Realist
08-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Patrick Ewing with two slams against the Miami Heat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7wjbZyOPdA

KenneBell
08-28-2010, 12:11 AM
LA Lakers @ Portland Trailblazers
1st Round Game 3
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/BA44AADE78B6CFE4

Kobe's coming out party. Portland builds a huge lead and Del Harris finally takes the chains off the kid. This was the first time he played a significant amount of minutes in a playoff game. He didn't disappoint. Everyone could now see why everyone thought so highly of the kid. His play almost led the Lakers back from a 31 point lead.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199704300POR.html
Man, his jumper and FTs look totally different now. Almost hard to believe that's the same player.

Jacks3
08-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Yeah, because I didn't watch him play.:rolleyes: Fail. Oh, and his 87-88 numbers were not worse than his 90-91 numbers.

Da_Realist
08-28-2010, 12:15 AM
Yeah, because I didn't watch him play.:rolleyes: Fail. Oh, and his 87-88 numbers were not worse than his 90-91 numbers.

I meant the 88-89 season.

DuMa
08-28-2010, 02:40 AM
btw that end of the game 3 of the Bullets/Bulls where Pippen had the game winning/series clinching dunk and fell on his back. I think that was the start of his back problems he had.

And will the Washington Wizards ever wear Bullets retro jerseys ever again?

Ruh-Roh
08-28-2010, 03:07 AM
btw that end of the game 3 of the Bullets/Bulls where Pippen had the game winning/series clinching dunk and fell on his back. I think that was the start of his back problems he had.

And will the Washington Wizards ever wear Bullets retro jerseys ever again?

That was unbelievable. Watching the replay I was afraid for some reason him letting go of the rim would launch the ball up. :lol I know, it makes no sense.

Subscribed. Thanks for the vids!

97 bulls
08-28-2010, 04:10 AM
I thought he was noticeably quicker in '97 as well. Watch his 50 point game vs. the Heat early in the season, he looks like '93 Jordan with some of his quick moves and dunks. During the game the announcers talk about how he was struggling with knee problems in the '96 season, and after the game MJ says that he lost some weight during the offseason and that he felt like he got some of his quickness back.

Did MJ get any poster dunks in '96 or '97? The only two I can think of in the 2nd 3-peat were in '98 (one on Kemp and one on Ostertag).
What year was the dunk over mutombo when he wagged his finger? I think that was 97

beermonsteroo
08-28-2010, 04:39 AM
Great thread!

The 1997 playoffs were really good. Maybe the last playoffs series which was still influenced to a large extend by the greatest era of a bsketball
(Rougly 85-95)

beermonsteroo
08-28-2010, 04:43 AM

His playoff numbers were slightly better overall in 1997

1995-96 32 CHI NBA 18 733 187 407 25 62 153 187 31 89 74 33 6 42 49 552 .459 .403 .818 40.7 30.7 4.9 4.1
1996-97 33 CHI NBA 19 804 227 498 13 67 123 148 42 150 91 30 17 49 46 590 .456 .194 .831 42.3 31.1 7.9 4.8

Jordan had a really bad finals series in 1996 too. So i would also say that his 97 playoffrun was better then in 1996

beermonsteroo
08-28-2010, 04:45 AM

This one for example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxmsbtWCgxk

All Net
08-28-2010, 05:34 AM
There is nothing better on looking back on past playoff years.

Da_Realist
08-28-2010, 06:55 AM
Man, his jumper and FTs look totally different now. Almost hard to believe that's the same player.

You're right. Didn't notice that before...

Da_Realist
08-28-2010, 09:18 AM

Is this game on youtube?

necya
08-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Da realist, if you have your games on dvd and original broadcast, can you help me to complete my collection?
1997.ECR1.G1.bullets@bulls
1997.ECR1.G2.bullets@bulls
1997.ECR1.G3.bulls@bullets
1997.ECR1.G1.pistons@hawks
1997.ECR1.G2.pistons@hawks
1997.ECR1.G3.hawks@pistons
1997.ECR1.G4.hawks@pistons
1997.ECR1.G5.pistons@hawks
1997.ECR1.G3.heat@magic
1997.ECR1.G4.heat@magic
1997.ECR1.G5.magic@heat
1997.WCR1.G1.suns@sonics
1997.WCR1.G2.suns@sonics
1997.WCR1.G3.sonics@suns
1997.WCR1.G4.sonics@suns
1997.WCR1.G5.suns@sonics
1997.ECSF.G1.hawks@bulls
1997.ECSF.G2.hawks@bulls
1997.ECSF.G3.bulls@hawks
1997.ECSF.G4.bulls@hawks
1997.ECSF.G5.hawks@bulls
1997.WCSF.G1.sonics@rockets
1997.WCSF.G2.sonics@rockets
1997.WCSF.G3.rockets@sonics
1997.WCSF.G4.rockets@sonics
1997.WCSF.G5.sonics@rockets
1997.WCSF.G6.rockets@sonics
1997.WCSF.G7.sonics@rockets
1997.ECF.G1.heat@bulls
1997.ECF.G2.heat@bulls
1997.ECF.G3.bulls@heat
1997.ECF.G4.bulls@heat
1997.ECF.G5.heat@bulls
1997.WCF.G1.rockets@jazz
1997.WCF.G2.rockets@jazz
1997.WCF.G3.jazz@rockets
1997.WCF.G4.jazz@rockets
1997.WCF.G5.rockets@jazz
1997.WCF.G6.jazz@rockets
1997.finals.G1.jazz@bulls
1997.finals.G2.jazz@bulls
1997.finals.G3.bulls@jazz
1997.finals.G4.bulls@jazz
1997.finals.G5.bulls@jazz
1997.finals.G6.jazz@bulls

beermonsteroo
08-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Is this game on youtube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTMoqRUjJLo

Although i don't think this a very good game in terms of quickness of Jordan in 1996-1998. He had games where i looked much more like the Mike of old. This here is more floor except for the nice alley up jam.

Da_Realist
08-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Da realist, if you have your games on dvd and original broadcast, can you help me to complete my collection?
1997.ECR1.G1.bullets@bulls
1997.ECR1.G2.bullets@bulls
1997.ECR1.G3.bulls@bullets
1997.ECR1.G1.pistons@hawks
1997.ECR1.G2.pistons@hawks
1997.ECR1.G3.hawks@pistons
1997.ECR1.G4.hawks@pistons
1997.ECR1.G5.pistons@hawks
1997.ECR1.G3.heat@magic
1997.ECR1.G4.heat@magic
1997.ECR1.G5.magic@heat
1997.WCR1.G1.suns@sonics
1997.WCR1.G2.suns@sonics
1997.WCR1.G3.sonics@suns
1997.WCR1.G4.sonics@suns
1997.WCR1.G5.suns@sonics
1997.ECSF.G1.hawks@bulls
1997.ECSF.G2.hawks@bulls
1997.ECSF.G3.bulls@hawks
1997.ECSF.G4.bulls@hawks
1997.ECSF.G5.hawks@bulls
1997.WCSF.G1.sonics@rockets
1997.WCSF.G2.sonics@rockets
1997.WCSF.G3.rockets@sonics
1997.WCSF.G4.rockets@sonics
1997.WCSF.G5.sonics@rockets
1997.WCSF.G6.rockets@sonics
1997.WCSF.G7.sonics@rockets
1997.ECF.G1.heat@bulls
1997.ECF.G2.heat@bulls
1997.ECF.G3.bulls@heat
1997.ECF.G4.bulls@heat
1997.ECF.G5.heat@bulls
1997.WCF.G1.rockets@jazz
1997.WCF.G2.rockets@jazz
1997.WCF.G3.jazz@rockets
1997.WCF.G4.jazz@rockets
1997.WCF.G5.rockets@jazz
1997.WCF.G6.jazz@rockets
1997.finals.G1.jazz@bulls
1997.finals.G2.jazz@bulls
1997.finals.G3.bulls@jazz
1997.finals.G4.bulls@jazz
1997.finals.G5.bulls@jazz
1997.finals.G6.jazz@bulls

I don't have any games that you don't already have.

necya
08-28-2010, 11:44 AM
shit!

Da_Realist
08-28-2010, 11:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTMoqRUjJLo

Although i don't think this a very good game in terms of quickness of Jordan in 1996-1998. He had games where i looked much more like the Mike of old. This here is more floor except for the nice alley up jam.

:cheers: I appreciate it anyway. I want to find where Jordan mentioned his knees were bothering him in 96 and that he lost weight and gained some quickness in 97. Just want some validation to what I think I'm seeing.

beermonsteroo
08-28-2010, 11:51 AM
:cheers: I appreciate it anyway. I want to find where Jordan mentioned his knees were bothering him in 96 and that he lost weight and gained some quickness in 97. Just want some validation to what I think I'm seeing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkWm00nVorU

I think this game shows a almost 35 year old Mike looking almost like 29 ore sonething again.l

necya
08-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Round Mound made a thread yesterday about Jordan's 55 point game, here was my post:

55 points with just one made three - Jordan put on a clinic in midrange shooting that game. The Bullets played the Bulls surprisingly tough in that series even though they got swept. Also on display in that game is Webber's phenomenal passing, and he hit 3 threes despite bricking 4 of his 6 FTs.

a clinic? he only put 18 of his 28 jumpers and 4 of his 7 lay ups/ shots under the basket...20 of the 23 bulls pts in the 4th QT...

DatWasNashty
08-28-2010, 05:05 PM
http://news.google.ca/newspapers?id=AtgzAAAAIBAJ&sjid=VyEGAAAAIBAJ&pg=1045,4196317&dq=michael+jordan+lost+weight&hl=en

Check this article out. He mentions he wanted a leaner body to help him get through the season. Also, it's true that he wanted to lose weight to lessen the strees on his knees.

Here's a quote from MJ himself.

This year I'm 209 or 210, and taking some of that top-heavy weight off my knees has helped them. I haven't lost any strength, and I feel better.'' Jordan

Big#50
08-28-2010, 05:10 PM
1st Round Game 4

Rex is underrated.

Da_Realist
08-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Portland Trailblazers @ LA Lakers
1st Round Game 4
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/4F279D91BBE20D14

My software didn't recognize this dvd so I couldn't upload it myself. It was already uploaded on youtube so I'll post it here anyway.

Rasheed and Arvydas Sabonis weren't enough for the Blazers this game. The Lakers were just too much and pulled away late to close out the series on the road. Shaq and Elden Campbell led the way with 27 points a piece.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705020POR.html

Da_Realist
08-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Atlanta Hawks @ Chicago Bulls
Eastern Conference Semifinals Game 1
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/B704A71E5E076238

Michael Jordan -- 34 pts (13-25 fgs), 11 rebs, 6 asts, 4 stls, 3 blks. Jordan's all around game and his 20 point 3rd quarter outburst led the Bulls to a 1-0 series lead over the Hawks.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705060CHI.html

Da_Realist
08-28-2010, 06:31 PM
http://news.google.ca/newspapers?id=AtgzAAAAIBAJ&sjid=VyEGAAAAIBAJ&pg=1045,4196317&dq=michael+jordan+lost+weight&hl=en

Check this article out. He mentions he wanted a leaner body to help him get through the season. Also, it's true that he wanted to lose weight to lessen the strees on his knees.

Thanks! :cheers:

Birmingham1955
08-28-2010, 06:35 PM
kemp :banana:

Jacks3
08-28-2010, 08:06 PM
1st Round Game 2
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/06518A92B8D8B53F

Jordan with an amazing performance here -- 55 points on 63% shooting. I'll just link to a previous thread -->

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188563
Damn I forget how good Chris Webber use to be. He threw at least 4 amazing passes in this game. :bowdown: But then Strickland had to go and cost them the game. smh

KenneBell
08-28-2010, 08:12 PM

Hmmm...I guess I was wrong. Learn something new everyday.

I know they listed him at 216 but was it worth it to lose 7 pounds? I'm guessing that he might have been even heavier during the '96 season if he felt it necessary to help his knees.

Da_Realist
08-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Damn I forget how good Chris Webber use to be. He threw at least 4 amazing passes in this game. :bowdown: But then Strickland had to go and cost them the game. smh

Webber went to Sacramento and got soft. He was a good player, no...a really good player but he avoided contact like the plague out there in California. I think the fast paced style lured him to change his game. Or maybe it was his knees(forgot which injury he had). Either way, he wasn't the same type of player.

magnax1
08-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Webber went to Sacramento and got soft. He was a good player, no...a really good player but he avoided contact like the plague out there in California. I think the fast paced style lured him to change his game. Or maybe it was his knees(forgot which injury he had). Either way, he wasn't the same type of player.
True. He was never a super physical type player, but at least he posted up fairly often pre-2000. After that, he just wanted to play a mid range game, which I never thought he was really that special at.

Da_Realist
08-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Double Standard? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWiZMlE-r1Q) :oldlol:

OldSchoolBBall
08-29-2010, 04:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkWm00nVorU

I think this game shows a almost 35 year old Mike looking almost like 29 ore sonething again.l

Jordan could NOT have done that dunk at the 2:40 mark in 1996 - taking off from the dotted line off two feet at age 34 here. Also, the explosiveness at the 19 second mark on the drive, the change of direction and crossover at 2:52, and his acceleration at 4:55 are good examples of how quick he was at age 34 (I think slightly quicker than in '96).

Samurai Swoosh
08-29-2010, 05:23 AM
Jordan could NOT have done that dunk at the 2:40 mark in 1996 - taking off from the dotted line off two feet at age 34 here. Also, the explosiveness at the 19 second mark on the drive, the change of direction and crossover at 2:52, and his acceleration at 4:55 are good examples of how quick he was at age 34 (I think slightly quicker than in '96).
Thats from the 1997 - 1998 season, not the 1996 - 1997 season. He's 35 during this clip ...

Da_Realist
08-29-2010, 07:55 AM
:confusedshrug:

Fixed.

Da_Realist
08-29-2010, 08:11 AM
Double Standard? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWiZMlE-r1Q) :oldlol:

^^ Reposted with the correct link...

OldSchoolBBall
08-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Thats from the 1997 - 1998 season, not the 1996 - 1997 season. He's 35 during this clip ...

Even more to my point then... :D

Da_Realist
08-29-2010, 05:51 PM
New York Knicks @ Miami Heat
Eastern Conference Semifinals Game 1
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/93DC061E3D76FCAC

Tough, physical basketball between 2 teams that hated each other.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705070MIA.html

L.A. Jazz
08-29-2010, 06:33 PM
i loved the 97 playoffs.
although the wrong team won. :rolleyes:

che guevara
08-30-2010, 02:51 AM
i loved the 97 playoffs.
although the wrong team won. :rolleyes:
What?

InYaoWeTrust
08-30-2010, 03:18 AM
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: JAZZ:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

L.A. Jazz
08-30-2010, 12:33 PM
What?
in my subjective little world the worng team won.
i rooted for the Jazz. ;)
dont get mad, i saw the finals and the Bulls were the better team.

Da_Realist
08-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Eastern Conference Semifinals Game 2
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/87BD8465ACA00BA9

Michael Jordan -- 27 pts, 16 rebs and 6 asts but wasn't enough. Mookie Blaylock hits 8 of 9 three pointers to help the Hawks upset the Bulls in Chicago.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705080CHI.html

Dizzle-2k7
08-30-2010, 08:09 PM
fantastic thread. thanks

Da_Realist
08-30-2010, 10:43 PM
No Flagrant Foul (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmvKjG6VZtE)

Just get up and play ball

Da_Realist
08-31-2010, 09:46 AM
Timmy for THREE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZdrBZVd57A)

L.A. Jazz
08-31-2010, 05:33 PM
Blaylock and Smith was a Backcourt i really liked.

DatWasNashty
08-31-2010, 06:02 PM
Blaylock and Smith was a Backcourt i really liked.

I concur. Although I was a Suns fan, I loved watching Hawks games in the early-mid 90s on TBS. The local Hawks commentator would always say "Mookie, Mookie, lend me your comb," which was a play on a 60s pop song I think. A few people I know used to call him Mookie Brickalot just because of how terrible of a shooter he was :oldlol:. He was a very good defender, though. I would say best defensive PG in the league after GP. He used to check Jordan occasionally although MJ used to take it to him in the post for obvious reasons. Having Dikembe behind him allowed him to roam a bit and he lead the league in steals a couple of times. Good, tenacious defense and forced turnovers by being aggressive. Also a very good distributor and played well in the open court. Good ball handler as well.

Steve Smith was another one of my favorites because his game reminded me of Magic. I only saw Magic in his last year with the Lakers, not counting the 96 comeback, but he was my favorite player from the get-go and I vividly remember cheering for the Lakers in the finals that year. I think that's the only time I ever rooted for them. Anyway, Smith was one of the most overlooked players in the 90s. He doesn't get enough credit for being a mismatch on the floor, having that deadly fake spin which was voted a top 5 move by NBA players circa 1998 and just having serious game. He could post up, had good court vision, good passing ability, great jumpshot and could handle the rock very well. He could slash when needed to. He had a MONSTER facial on David Robinson around '98. I think it was the #1 play on NBA action top 10 plays of the week. I remember the SI article about Steve having to guard MJ in the Hawks series that the Da_Realist just posted. Surprisingly, I think he said Reggie Miller was harder to guard than MJ because Mike didn't wear you out as much as Reggie did. I think Smith did a decent job on him that series although of course he benefitted from having great defenders namely Dikembe and Mookie around him. Smith one of the guys better suited for guarding the 2nd 3 peat version due to his size because 1st 3 peat MJ was a lot more athletic and much more a slasher. MJ had that huge series against Miami in '92 with Smith guarding him.

Late 90s Hawks were fun to watch with Mutombo manning the middle, Smith picking up the scoring and Mookie distributing. Also had the originial dream teamer in Laettner for a couple of years.

Da_Realist
08-31-2010, 06:47 PM
I concur. Although I was a Suns fan, I loved watching Hawks games in the early-mid 90s on TBS. The local Hawks commentator would always say "Mookie, Mookie, lend me your comb," which was a play on a 60s pop song I think. A few people I know used to call him Mookie Brickalot just because of how terrible of a shooter he was :oldlol:. He was a very good defender, though. I would say best defensive PG in the league after GP. He used to check Jordan occasionally although MJ used to take it to him in the post for obvious reasons. Having Dikembe behind him allowed him to roam a bit and he lead the league in steals a couple of times. Good, tenacious defense and forced turnovers by being aggressive. Also a very good distributor and played well in the open court. Good ball handler as well.

Steve Smith was another one of my favorites because his game reminded me of Magic. I only saw Magic in his last year with the Lakers, not counting the 96 comeback, but he was my favorite player from the get-go and I vividly remember cheering for the Lakers in the finals that year. I think that's the only time I ever rooted for them. Anyway, Smith was one of the most overlooked players in the 90s. He doesn't get enough credit for being a mismatch on the floor, having that deadly fake spin which was voted a top 5 move by NBA players circa 1998 and just having serious game. He could post up, had good court vision, good passing ability, great jumpshot and could handle the rock very well. He could slash when needed to. He had a MONSTER facial on David Robinson around '98. I think it was the #1 play on NBA action top 10 plays of the week. I remember the SI article about Steve having to guard MJ in the Hawks series that the Da_Realist just posted. Surprisingly, I think he said Reggie Miller was harder to guard than MJ because Mike didn't wear you out as much as Reggie did. I think Smith did a decent job on him that series although of course he benefitted from having great defenders namely Dikembe and Mookie around him. Smith one of the guys better suited for guarding the 2nd 3 peat version due to his size because 1st 3 peat MJ was a lot more athletic and much more a slasher. MJ had that huge series against Miami in '92 with Smith guarding him.

Late 90s Hawks were fun to watch with Mutombo manning the middle, Smith picking up the scoring and Mookie distributing. Also had the originial dream teamer in Laettner for a couple of years.

That's a great analysis of that Hawks team. Pretty much dead-on. BTW, Starks said the exact same thing about guarding Reggie in that 30 for 30 documentary on ESPN.

Da_Realist
08-31-2010, 08:53 PM
Eastern Conference Semifinals Game 2
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/7FECF7B0B03D9958

This was a great game. Intense throughout. The Heat wrapped up this game and put a pretty little bow on top then placed it under the tree just for the Knicks but they didn't want it. New York should have been going back home up 2-0. Alonzo fouled out and Miami was dead in the water. All New York had to do was play smart down the stretch. Damn. In light of what happens later in this series, I feel sorry for them. They should have won this game.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705090MIA.html

Da_Realist
08-31-2010, 10:11 PM
These Knicks have a strong case for the best Knicks team of the decade. They are right up there with the 92-94 versions. Can't figure out how they stack up, but this team was very, very good. They didn't need Ewing to do everything to win. Allan Houston could take over a game. John Starks could still light it up. Chris Childs was solid. Compared to the early 90's Knicks, they lost a little bit in perimeter defense but they made up for it offensively. Ewing was no longer in his prime, but he was still a big time player in the middle. The early 90's Knicks had Oakley, Mason and McDaniel. The 97 team still had Oakley (older) and Larry Johnson. Again, they lose a little bit of defense, but they gain offensively. And they had a steady point guard in Charlie Ward and a good defender/rebounder in Buck Williams.

The 97 team had more range. Houston, Starks, Childs, Ward and even Larry Johnson could knock down long jumpshots to stretch the defense, without losing too much post presence. The early 90's teams really only had Starks and Harper. Mostly Mark Jackson, Doc Rivers and Greg Anthony were hit and miss out there. It was easier then to surround Ewing in the post and make those other guys beat you. In 97, those other guys could beat you if Ewing had an off night. Granted, Ewing was much better in the early 90's but still, the 97 team was more versatile in their offensive attack.

I think we missed out on a potentially great best-of-seven series in 97 between the Bulls and Knicks. Both teams matched up well against each other. The Knicks had size guarding Jordan (Houston) and when he got tired, they could bring in Starks off the bench. Even Childs could help out because he was a good defender. Larry Johnson would have kept Pippen from roaming around the perimeter with his low post perimeter game. Ward and Childs would have been too quick for Ron Harper without some help. They had Ewing, Oakley and Johnson to battle Rodman for rebounds. The Knicks would have played physical defense and also would have found ways to score. This would have been a great, great matchup in the Eastern Conference Finals.

I've re-watched two games in the NYK MIA series and am convinced New York was the better team. This was a golden opportunity they let slip right through their fingers.

ShaqAttack3234
08-31-2010, 10:17 PM
These Knicks have a strong case for the best Knicks team of the decade. They are right up there with the 92-94 versions. Can't figure out how they stack up, but this team was very, very good. They didn't need Ewing to do everything to win. Allan Houston could take over a game. John Starks could still light it up. Chris Childs was solid. Compared to the early 90's Knicks, they lost a little bit in perimeter defense but they made up for it offensively. Ewing was no longer in his prime, but he was still a big time player in the middle. The early 90's Knicks had Oakley, Mason and McDaniel. The 97 team still had Oakley (older) and Larry Johnson. Again, they lose a little bit of defense, but they gain offensively. And they had a steady point guard in Charlie Ward and a good defender/rebounder in Buck Williams.

The 97 team had more range. Houston, Starks, Childs, Ward and even Larry Johnson could knock down long jumpshots to stretch the defense, without losing too much post presence. The early 90's teams really only had Starks and Harper. Mostly Mark Jackson, Doc Rivers and Greg Anthony were hit and miss out there. It was easier then to surround Ewing in the post and make those other guys beat you. In 97, those other guys could beat you if Ewing had an off night. Granted, Ewing was much better in the early 90's but still, the 97 team was more versatile in their offensive attack.

I think we missed out on a potentially great best-of-seven series in 97 between the Bulls and Knicks. Both teams matched up well against each other. The Knicks had size guarding Jordan (Houston) and when he got tired, they could bring in Starks off the bench. Even Childs could help out because he was a good defender. Larry Johnson would have kept Pippen from roaming around the perimeter with his low post perimeter game. Ward and Childs would have been too quick for Ron Harper without some help. They had Ewing, Oakley and Johnson to battle Rodman for rebounds. The Knicks would have played physical defense and also would have found ways to score. This would have been a great, great matchup in the Eastern Conference Finals.

I've re-watched two games in the NYK MIA series and am convinced New York was the better team. This was a golden opportunity they let slip right through their fingers.

Spot on post, I've lived in NY my whole life and grew up watching those Knicks teams and this was one of the absolute best. I'm also convinced they would have beat Miami. Now the New Yorker in me wants to say they could've won a title, but I just don't see them beating Chicago, but the Knicks had some great series with the Bulls and were a legit threat to the '92 and '93 teams so who knows?

Da_Realist
08-31-2010, 11:20 PM
Spot on post, I've lived in NY my whole life and grew up watching those Knicks teams and this was one of the absolute best. I'm also convinced they would have beat Miami. Now the New Yorker in me wants to say they could've won a title, but I just don't see them beating Chicago, but the Knicks had some great series with the Bulls and were a legit threat to the '92 and '93 teams so who knows?

They would have given Chicago a run for their money, but Chicago was an all-time great team. The Bulls wouldn't have lost. However, the Knicks would have had a real chance to beat any other team that year. This team was loaded. They would have beaten Utah in 6 or 7 games.

DatWasNashty
08-31-2010, 11:32 PM

I agree. I always thought that the Knicks never got the right talent around Ewing. Well, they had the talent but not the right mix of it. They were loaded with forwards but their spacing suffered and teams would just pick and choose who to pressure and shut down. Teams would double off of Oakley, Mason, Smith etc all the time and there was a bit too much pressure on Ewing to carry the scoring load. Their positonal and lack of offensive firepower issues were a bit too much to overcome. Starks was good and could light it up occasionally but I wouldn't call him a legit scoring threat in the second option mold. More of a streak shooter than anything. If the '97 Knicks had prime Ewing, I can see them giving the Bulls all they had because that team was actually complimented Ewing's game with the shooters/slashers to take pressure off of him. Their defense was a bit worse especially on the perimeter but they had enough offense to compensate for it. The '97 Bulls weren't as good offensively as the early 90s Bulls either.

That Bulls/Knicks series would've also been worth watching because of the rivalry and competitive fire between the two teams. You watch the Heat/Bulls series that year? It's a nasty, low scoring slugfest. Didn't really enjoy watching them from a neutral perspective. I like defense when it challenges opponents to score but all the clutching, grabbing, hacking etc was really over the top and makes you switch the channel.

I remember when they had hired Don Nelson in '95. He, of course, made several line up changes to cause mismatches and I remember this game against the Suns where he fielded the following line up:

Harper
Mason
Oakley
Smith
Ewing

That line up = comedy. Classic Don Nelson. I wish they kept him for the entire season. I would've like to see how far he took them but I think he had issues with the managment and players and ended up getting replaced.

97 bulls
09-01-2010, 12:09 AM
I agree. I always thought that the Knicks never got the right talent around Ewing. Well, they had the talent but not the right mix of it. They were loaded with forwards but their spacing suffered and teams would just pick and choose who to pressure and shut down. Teams would double off of Oakley, Mason, Smith etc all the time and there was a bit too much pressure on Ewing to carry the scoring load. Their positonal and lack of offensive firepower issues were a bit too much to overcome. Starks was good and could light it up occasionally but I wouldn't call him a legit scoring threat in the second option mold. More of a streak shooter than anything. If the '97 Knicks had prime Ewing, I can see them giving the Bulls all they had because that team was actually complimented Ewing's game with the shooters/slashers to take pressure off of him. Their defense was a bit worse especially on the perimeter but they had enough offense to compensate for it. The '97 Bulls WEREN'T AS GOOD OFFENSIVELY as the early 90s Bulls either.

That Bulls/Knicks series would've also been worth watching because of the rivalry and competitive fire between the two teams. You watch the Heat/Bulls series that year? It's a nasty, low scoring slugfest. Didn't really enjoy watching them from a neutral perspective. I like defense when it challenges opponents to score but all the clutching, grabbing, hacking etc was really over the top and makes you switch the channel.

I remember when they had hired Don Nelson in '95. He, of course, made several line up changes to cause mismatches and I remember this game against the Suns where he fielded the following line up:

Harper
Mason
Oakley
Smith
Ewing

That line up = comedy. Classic Don Nelson. I wish they kept him for the entire season. I would've like to see how far he took them but I think he had issues with the managment and players and ended up getting replaced.are you serious nash? They had 3 guys that could get you 30 points on a given night. The early 90s bulls only had 2. and that was in a much faster paced game and the 97 bulls had more firepower off the bench. Brian williams was better than scott williams, jason caffey was better than stacy king, kerr was just as good as any shooter the early 90s bulls had. I just don't see it.

97 bulls
09-01-2010, 12:14 AM
They would have given Chicago a run for their money, but Chicago was an all-time great team. The Bulls wouldn't have lost. However, the Knicks would have had a real chance to beat any other team that year. This team was loaded. They would have beaten Utah in 6 or 7 games.
Hey real, which year do you think had the best teams that faced the bulls? I think it was 97 with the bullets, hawks, heat, then jazz.

Da_Realist
09-01-2010, 08:14 AM
Hey real, which year do you think had the best teams that faced the bulls? I think it was 97 with the bullets, hawks, heat, then jazz.

I agree. The Bulls faced stiff competition in other runs, but not in every series. The 97 Bullets were better than a typical first round foe. Atlanta and Miami were both tough. And the Jazz gave the Bulls all they could handle and even beat them twice in a row (and nearly a third time).

Da_Realist
09-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Oops! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOO2m1Rdc9k)

ShaqAttack3234
09-01-2010, 03:21 PM

Yeah, pretty much my thoughts. What do you think about the Knicks with a healthy Patrick Ewing in the 1999 finals? The Spurs were punishing the Knicks inside, particularly whoever LJ was guarding whether it be Duncan schooling him with low post moves or Robinson just turning and shooting over him. Camby was also in foul trouble constantly, iirc and oddly, it seems like Chris Dudley in his short stretches did the best job on Duncan. Do you think the extra size Patrick Ewing could provide would have made a difference?

Da_Realist
09-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Yeah, pretty much my thoughts. What do you think about the Knicks with a healthy Patrick Ewing in the 1999 finals? The Spurs were punishing the Knicks inside, particularly whoever LJ was guarding whether it be Duncan schooling him with low post moves or Robinson just turning and shooting over him. Camby was also in foul trouble constantly, iirc and oddly, it seems like Chris Dudley in his short stretches did the best job on Duncan. Do you think the extra size Patrick Ewing could provide would have made a difference?

I honestly don't remember that series too well. To be honest, once Ewing got hurt I checked out. I knew it was gonna be a wrap for the Spurs. I do remember Larry Johnson's shot but the rest is a blur. I'll have to watch it again to get a better feel for it.

Do you remember how the Knicks lost to the Pacers 4-1 in 98? I'm drawing a blank. They were legitimate championship contenders in 97 and they made it to the Finals in 99. But there's that huge turd in 98. What happened?

Da_Realist
09-02-2010, 07:55 AM
Chicago Bulls @ Atlanta Hawks
Eastern Conference Semifinals Game 3
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/CFD1D33EE757C6EB

This was a defensive slugfest for the better part of 3 quarters. Then Chicago opened up a can of whoop ass.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705100ATL.html

Da_Realist
09-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Utah Jazz @ LA Lakers
Western Conference Semifinals Game 4
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/CA35BB6F8A9F964E

The Lakers were doomed from the start. They were too busy fighting themselves then the officials to worry about the Jazz. First Nick Van Exel goes at Del Harris for taking him out of the game and it became a huge distraction on the Lakers bench. Then the Lakers started barking at the officials. Meanwhile, the Jazz just calmly played their game and eventually pulled away from the Lakers with a superb effort by Karl Malone (42 points) who set an NBA record by hitting 18 of 18 free throws. Byron Russell also had a great game. The Lakers were led by Shaq who had 34 pts, 11 rebs, 4 asts, 6 blks, 1 steal and shot 63% from the field. Unfortunately for the Lakers, he was the only guy to show up.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705100LAL.html

Da_Realist
09-02-2010, 02:54 PM
ALL BALL (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRglZ3OVCkM)

L.A. Jazz
09-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Russel and Malone killed the Lakers in that game.
The Lakers were just a bad team, with a great center in the middle.
NvE and EJ showing that they were just average players when the game slows down in ther POs.

Da_Realist
09-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Russel and Malone killed the Lakers in that game.
The Lakers were just a bad team, with a great center in the middle.
NvE and EJ showing that they were just average players when the game slows down in ther POs.

It was obvious they had no respect for Del Harris. He was a good coach -- he had been to the Finals before (1981) and was the coach of some very good Milwaukee teams in the 80's but the Lakers walked all over him. That team had talent, but they didn't know how to play winning basketball.

Da_Realist
09-03-2010, 12:14 AM
MJ -- Nice fadeaway jumpshot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppDPvIghUXg)

Another day at the office :pimp:

Da_Realist
09-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Miami Heat @ New York Knicks
Eastern Conference Semifinals Game 3
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/2479974118B2A1F6

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705110NYK.html

Da_Realist
09-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Chicago Bulls @ Atlanta Hawks
Eastern Conference Semifinals Game 4
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/72C015D4E74A7F3D

Atlanta found a way to shave a 22 point lead down to 3 before finally being put away by Jordan and the Bulls.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705110ATL.html

Da_Realist
09-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Eastern Conference Semifinals Game 4
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/595DE3AF5570F01F

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705120NYK.html

Da_Realist
09-05-2010, 07:45 PM
LA Lakers @ Utah Jazz
Western Conference Semifinals Game 5
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/6BA46AAF30084E7B

Famous for Kobe's airballs at the end of regulation and throughout overtime. Kobe gets the blame, but the Lakers as a team failed. They had a great shot at pulling this game out in regulation until Shaq fouled out on a ticky-tack foul call. After this, it was evident the team lacked leadership. The Lakers basically stood around the perimeter as guys tried to score individually -- playing right into Utah's hands. They didn't know how to handle this pressure situation without Shaq in the middle so the offense sputtered. It also hurt that Horry was ejected for throwing a punch. I wonder if Del Harris even had a game plan because the Lakers looked so confused. Kobe desperately wanted to take the shots and he tried to take over. After Shaq fouls out, you can see Kobe run up to Shaq and gesture that he was going to lead the team.

Utah was too good and eventually took the game and the series by playing team ball.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705120UTA.html

Da_Realist
09-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Eastern Conference Semifinals Game 5
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/36F3000C6CDA9058

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705130CHI.html

nbacardDOTnet
09-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Oops! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOO2m1Rdc9k)

:oldlol:

I will rep.

Da_Realist
09-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Eastern Conference Semifinals Game 5
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/C304D23C3E7192D2

The game that changed the series...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705140MIA.html

Da_Realist
09-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Houston Rockets @ Seattle Supersonics
Western Conference Semifinals Game 6
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/0EC4AA9D85FA6A78

All I can say is... Houston was slow at every position. Hakeem Olajuwon clearly lost a step and a half. He played ok, but he just couldn't shake free of dudes like he did just a couple seasons prior. I didn't realize it at the time, but this team had no shot against the Bulls this year. Chicago would have beaten this team in 5. Makes me wonder if Jordan benefited from his 1.5 year of retirement because Barkley, Drexler and Olajuwon were all drafted within a year of Jordan and they all look like dead men walking.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705150SEA.html

Qdouble
09-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Hakeem Olajuwon clearly lost a step and a half. He played ok, but he just couldn't shake free of dudes like he did just a couple seasons prior.

I agree. He definitely lost a step+, but he was still effective. Looking at this game, 30 points, 11 rebounds on 57% is a little more than okay (but just not Dream-like). And against Utah, he scored around 27 shooting around or over 55%, but unlike the previous year, when Hakeem threw the ball out of a double team, it usually got back to him. With Barkley there, it didn't. So Dream didn't get the number of shots like he used to, but to be honest, the '97 Rocs had no chance against the Bulls.

DatWasNashty
09-10-2010, 11:23 AM
I agree. He definitely lost a step+, but he was still effective. Looking at this game, 30 points, 11 rebounds on 57% is a little more than okay (but just not Dream-like). And against Utah, he scored around 27 shooting around or over 55%, but unlike the previous year, when Hakeem threw the ball out of a double team, it usually got back to him. With Barkley there, it didn't. So Dream didn't get the number of shots like he used to, but to be honest, the '97 Rocs had no chance against the Bulls.

He actually shot 59.2% against the Jazz while averaging 27.1 ppg/9.3 rpg/3.8 apg/2 spg/3.3 blk. Sure, he may not have been the Dream but he was MORE than effective and that series could've just as easily gone the Rockets way. Glide was terrible through games 1-5 while Barkley couldn't have his way with Malone. Then there was the bearhug of a screen by Malone on Drexler to free up Stockton.

But, here's the thing about the 1997 Rockets. Their defense was absolutely horrendous mainly at the PG and PF positions. The PG duo of Threatt and Maloney couldn't guard a chair while providing next to nothing on offense. Their spacing was worse compared to their championship years which is largely due to the trade. Ball movement was worse as well since Chuck wasn't as explosive and stagnated the offense a bit. Hakeem's touches were limited compared to his prior years and he was losing his quickness and athleticism but he did a great job of making adjustments and allowing Chuck to gel in the offense. He could still ball as shown by his statline in the Jazz series and they could've fed him a bit more. Look at Shaq against the 1997 Jazz, he was terrible by his standards. Although, he did see more defensive attention with Karl occasionally checking him because he could deny some of that deep position down low.

I disagree when you say they couldn't compete with the Bulls at all. They would've lost but it would've definitely been an interesting series. Their season match up was tied 1-1 although I don't care much about season records. It should be noted that Hakeem had a monstrous game against them while fasting (no drinks, no food from dawn till sunset) on 19/1/1997 :bowdown:. Glide could hold MJ to his standard numbers and he generally did well against him in the season match ups (2nd 3 peat only). Elie was never that quick laterally but he could play effective defense on a hobbled Pippen. Hakeem could roam a bit although the Bulls centers would make him pay with their elbow jumpers. Ron Harper is the one guy who could be used to exploit a mismatch against the Rockets. He'd absolutely abuse Matt Maloney in the post which would lead to commading doubles. Rodman / Chuck match up would certainly be the most intriguing since they were excellent on the glass and had unique personalities. Depth definitely goes to Chicago.

All in all I'd take the Bulls in 6 but it definitely wouldn't be a cakewalk. I wish this actually happened in reality. MJ noted that the Rockets were an excellent squad that could've given them fits in a finals match up although he was referring to the earlier versions circa 1992-93.

ILLsmak
09-10-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm going to post some games here in this thread that I'm uploading from the 97 Playoffs. This year had everything -- MJ is better this year than he was in 96, Pippen at his best, Shaq in his prime before Phil Jackson gets there, Kobe shows potential, Knicks/Heat, Stockton-to-Malone, KJ/Nash/Kidd, Olajuwon/Barkley/Drexler and Webber/Howard/Strickland on the same teams. Even a little Payton and Shawn Kemp. Great playoff season.

I'll just post the games in this thread. Enjoy. :cheers:

I LUV U MAN.

-Smak

Jacks3
09-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Where are the 89-93 Jordan games? :mad:

beermonsteroo
09-10-2010, 12:01 PM
I think the Bulls Rocktes Series would have gone at least to Game 6.
True, Hakeem was not the player of 95 anymore, but the 97 playoffs were something like his last Hurrah. He was really playing effective. Longley/Wennington would have had their problems no doubt.
Barkley would haven given a Rodman a fight on the boards.
Drexler certainly would have guarded Jordan better then Hornacek. Jordan could not have dominated Clyde like in 92 anymore. I don't think so.
The huge problem of the Rocktes was the pont guard position. But the Bulls were not exeptionel on that position too.
The Bulls had a better bench and a guy like Kukoc could have been the X Factor in thats eries.
So i think Bulls would have won in 6 or 7. But it would have been at least as close as against the Jazz

Da_Realist
09-10-2010, 12:24 PM
The Bulls in 5 or 6. Houston was slow and was not the defensive team they had been in earlier years. Barkley was slow and fat, Drexler was not the same athlete and Hakeem was just not the same player. I think the Bulls live with what Hakeem would provide and take their chances that he would wear out over the course of the series. Chicago played excellent perimeter defense and would have absolutely feasted on Maloney, Threatt and Elie before the ball found its way down low anyway. I see Houston coughing up the ball many times leading to layups and dunks. Barkley was losing his quickness and his lift as he regularly missed easy put backs because he couldn't get up to the rim as quickly as he could before. And in this series he would have to keep up with workout freak Dennis Rodman for loose rebounds.

I don't see what Houston could do defensively against the Bulls except push everyone to Hakeem and hope he saves the day. Houston's guards were too short to do anything with the big lineup the Bulls would put on the floor (Jordan, Pippen, Harper and Kukoc). Barkley was a sieve throughout his best years. I think Drexler was good for a great game here and there but to rely on him while guarding either Pippen or Jordan all series long would have taken too much of a toll on him and decreased his effectiveness.

Bulls were just more athletic, better defensively, better offensively, had better chemistry and played a more disciplined game than Houston this year. They would have created easy shots in the triangle, off turnovers and would have made it very, very hard for Houston to score other than to ride Hakeem. It may have gone six, but it wouldn't have been a hard six.

Da_Realist
09-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Houston Rockets @ Seattle Supersonics
Western Conference Semifinals Game 6
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/0EC4AA9D85FA6A78

All I can say is... Houston was slow at every position. Hakeem Olajuwon clearly lost a step and a half. He played ok, but he just couldn't shake free of dudes like he did just a couple seasons prior. I didn't realize it at the time, but this team had no shot against the Bulls this year. Chicago would have beaten this team in 5. Makes me wonder if Jordan benefited from his 1.5 year of retirement because Barkley, Drexler and Olajuwon were all drafted within a year of Jordan and they all look like dead men walking.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705150SEA.html

BTW... the Sonics first quarter and a half --> :bowdown:

Da_Realist
09-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Sweet pass from Drexler to Olajuwon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_TNzbMHcHM)

Da_Realist
09-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Eastern Conference Semifinals Game 6
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/4A788A5CACAA3FC1

Actually a pretty good game.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705160NYK.html

ShaqAttack3234
09-11-2010, 09:02 PM
I was still a kid in 1997 and I thought Houston was going to win a championship when they got Barkley. :lol I was probably still overrating Barkley and not factoring in age enough. I had an uncle who lived in Phoenix for part of the 90's and talked about Barkley a lot so i was a fan and of course, Houston was just 1 year removed from back to back titles so I thought they were going to win it all.

Da_Realist
09-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Seattle Supersonics @ Houston Rockets
Western Conference Semifinals Game 7
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/425308854D84C625

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705170HOU.html

che guevara
09-12-2010, 05:14 PM
It's really too bad about the suspensions in the Knicks series, we missed a conclusion to the Knicks - Bulls rivalry - it went out with a whimper, not a bang in '96. I understand the rule is that you can't leave your bench when there's an altercation, but they should make a decision based on each individual case. That rule also ruined the '07 Suns-Spurs series (any other series I'm not thinking of?)

magnax1
09-12-2010, 05:21 PM
In reality, Houston was more then capable of beating Utah in that series. What killed them was that Hakeem wasn't willing to play a team game and become the second or third option on offense. Barkley sacrificed to fit with the team, and so did Drexler (though there wasn't much he had to do) it was just Hakeem who wouldn't give in. If Hakeem moved the ball around more, and Barkley was the first option on offense, I think Houston would've won.

Da_Realist
09-12-2010, 06:55 PM
In reality, Houston was more then capable of beating Utah in that series. What killed them was that Hakeem wasn't willing to play a team game and become the second or third option on offense. Barkley sacrificed to fit with the team, and so did Drexler (though there wasn't much he had to do) it was just Hakeem who wouldn't give in. If Hakeem moved the ball around more, and Barkley was the first option on offense, I think Houston would've won.

I don't see how any argument could be made that Charles Barkley should have been the focal point of any offense by 1997. Especially one with Hakeem in the middle. Barkley was a mere shell of himself at this point and fit in better as a complimentary player. Houston's problem was that they had no athletes. Gone were the Horrys, Thorpes and Maxwells. All they had were savvy veterans that couldn't run and jump as fast and easily as they used to be able to. Mix in a few young guys with the Olajuwon/Barkley/Drexler core and they would have been more than formidable. But Matt Maloney, Kevin Willis and Mario Elie alone were not going to get it done.

EarlTheGoat
09-12-2010, 06:56 PM
The West Conference was crazily stacked in the 1997 Playoffs. I remember those 1997 Rockets like it was yesterday, although I was only 7 years old, I thought (similar as shaqattack said) that team was going to win everything, but I wasnt factoring age and team chemistry either.

While Jordan was still the best player in the league at that time, Drexler for example (a player from a similar year/draft) was not more than a washed up old player fitting a role function. Olajuwon and Barkley were clearly declining too, they were like a poor man version of a Big 3, a failed experiment I guess.

beermonsteroo
09-12-2010, 06:57 PM
The West Conference was crazily stacked in the 1997 Playoffs. I remember those 1997 Rockets like it was yesterday, although I was only 7 years old, I thought (similar as shaqattack said) that team was going to win everything, but I wasnt factoring age and team chemistry either.

While Jordan was still the best player in the league at that time, Drexler for example (a player from a similar year/draft) was not more than a washed up old player fitting a role function. Olajuwon and Barkley were clearly declining too, they were like a poor man version of a Big 3, a failed experiment I guess.

Drexler wasn't washed up.

EarlTheGoat
09-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Drexler wasn't washed up.

I have to admit washed up sounded a bit too excessive and unfair, but Clyde Drexler in those playoffs was nowhere close the player he once was.

beermonsteroo
09-12-2010, 07:23 PM
I have to admit washed up sounded a bit too excessive and unfair, but Clyde Drexler in those playoffs was nowhere close the player he once was.

Of course, but I'd say he was still a top 7 SG in the leauge. And he was still very athletic for 35 years of age.

Hammertime
09-12-2010, 07:25 PM
I mentioned this in a thread ages ago, but the Rockets' biggest issue that year was that their starting pointguard was signed from the CBA a week before the season started. Watch the last 5 minutes of the Game 6 of the WCF. Stockton didn't just hit that three at the end, he provided us with a rare example of his ability to actually take over games scoring-wise. Threatt could not guard him and neither could Maloney. And Maloney wasn't much of a distributor either.

When the Rockets put together their "Big 3," they ought to have found a decent veteran pointguard(not a CBA player or a 50 year old Sedale Threatt) who could pass the ball. Hell, Pooh Richardson or someone would've done. But instead, Rockets traded away a whole host of picks and let all their PGs go, except for Brent Price whose injury proneness made Greg Oden look like AC Green.

Da_Realist
09-14-2010, 08:19 AM
Eastern Conference Semifinals Game 7
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/FA72DF174323C171

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705180MIA.html

beermonsteroo
09-14-2010, 08:58 AM

Jordan had never left his basketball legs. Look at his comeback in 95. Especially in the playoffs. Jordan had many spectacular dunks and was driving to the hoop a lot. His jumping/running ability wasn't that far from what it was in 1993. However, as the 1995/96 season began it became obvious that Jordan had lost a step in terms of athletic ability. And he never again reached the atheltic level he had in 1995.
Maybe Jordan looks a bit quicker in 1996/97 again, cause he dropped a few pounds after the 1995/96 season. But i don't think that it had something to do with his legs coming back. Cause his legs were never really gone during his layoff.

L.A. Jazz
09-14-2010, 12:49 PM
do you have some games of the Jazz - Houston series?
havent seen them in a while. ok, 13 years. :lol

AirJordan23
09-14-2010, 04:13 PM
wow, this guy is a phucking retard. everything in this post is downright laughable. phucking lol @ "What killed them was that Hakeem wasn't willing to play a team game and become the second or third option on offense." that's why rudy said hakeem was the only one we could go to, right? you should off yourself asap

magnax1
09-14-2010, 10:43 PM
wow, this guy is a phucking retard. everything in this post is downright laughable. phucking lol @ "What killed them was that Hakeem wasn't willing to play a team game and become the second or third option on offense." that's why rudy said hakeem was the only one we could go to, right? you should off yourself asap
I just watched game 5 of the Jazz-Houston series, and at multiple points Hakeem was double, and even triple teamed, and he still wouldn't pass. Barkley, however, was just as efficient a scorer, despite having to be a spotup shooter for Hakeem a large amount of time. Barkley shot 1.46 point per shot, while shooting 4 3pt shots at only 28%, compared to Hakeem shooting 1.23 pps while not shooting any 3s. He also was a much better, and more willing passer, and a better rebounder. Hakeem was a better overall player, but by 97, Barkley was on a whole other level on offense compared to Hakeem. If Hakeem moved the ball around and kept the offense moving, and Barkley was the first option on offense, Utah would have definitely lost that series.
EDIT:And Barkley barely even declined from 96-97. He averaged less points because he was the second option, but he averaged much more assists and rebounds even though he was injured for almost half the season.

eliteballer
09-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Way too much exaggeration on Houstons decline. They won almost 60 games with Drexler and Barkley missing a huge chunk of games. They had some ridiculous record when all 3 played together. Barkley was still doing 19 pts and 14 rebs

ShaqAttack3234
09-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Way too much exaggeration on Houstons decline. They won almost 60 games with Drexler and Barkley missing a huge chunk of games. They had some ridiculous record when all 3 played together. Barkley was still doing 19 pts and 14 rebs

I just checked and they were 32-8 with Olajuwon, Barkley and Drexler all in the lineup. That's a 80 winning % and a prorated 66 win pace over an 82 game season.

ukplayer4
09-15-2010, 12:36 AM
just watching some of those sonics-rockets games, just reminds me of how unbelievably physical the game was back then compared with how pathetic it is now, its almost a different sport- gary payton was such a defensive beast- just total harassment.

Qdouble
09-15-2010, 07:50 AM
I just watched game 5 of the Jazz-Houston series, and at multiple points Hakeem was double, and even triple teamed, and he still wouldn't pass. Barkley, however, was just as efficient a scorer, despite having to be a spotup shooter for Hakeem a large amount of time. Barkley shot 1.46 point per shot, while shooting 4 3pt shots at only 28%, compared to Hakeem shooting 1.23 pps while not shooting any 3s. He also was a much better, and more willing passer, and a better rebounder. Hakeem was a better overall player, but by 97, Barkley was on a whole other level on offense compared to Hakeem. If Hakeem moved the ball around and kept the offense moving, and Barkley was the first option on offense, Utah would have definitely lost that series.
EDIT:And Barkley barely even declined from 96-97. He averaged less points because he was the second option, but he averaged much more assists and rebounds even though he was injured for almost half the season.

Then explain why Hakeem averaged 27 points per game on 59% shooting throughout the whole series. The three things that killed the Rockets that series as previously posted: 1) Maloney, rookie PG from the CBA= dead, 2) Charles Barkley's awesome defense of watching Malone pop jumpers over him, and 3) Hakeem unable to bail them, because he wasn't in god mode anymore, just merely very, very good mode.

necya
09-15-2010, 11:36 AM
the rockets lost cause they use too much isolation. there wasn't enough ball and players movement.

off topic : i'm glad to say that i have completed the entire 1994 playoffs on dvd.:rockon:

Da_Realist
09-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Miami Heat @ Chicago Bulls
Eastern Conference Finals Game 1
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/8893FF75C873D002

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705200CHI.html

Da_Realist
09-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Charles Barkley suckers Karl Malone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=powOw_Dr17c) :oldlol:

Da_Realist
09-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Eastern Conference Finals Game 2
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/A0C6520FF2657448

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705220CHI.html

L.A. Jazz
09-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Charles Barkley suckers Karl Malone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=powOw_Dr17c) :oldlol:
nice. :oldlol:

Da_Realist
09-19-2010, 02:45 PM
LOL at Rodman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6TmVuXiTzM) :oldlol:

This dude was annoying as hell. I'm surprised someone didn't deck this guy. He used to do this shit against Pippen all the time when he was with the Pistons. Now all I can do is laugh at it :roll:

EarlTheGoat
09-19-2010, 02:53 PM

This dude was annoying as hell. I'm surprised someone didn't deck this guy. He used to do this shit against Pippen all the time when he was with the Pistons. Now all I can do is laugh at it :roll:

You got to love Rodman. Some people hate on this kind of players, like they hate on Kevin Garnett, but they dont understand what intangibles this guys bring to the game and how important they are in the developing of these.

Head/Mind games, and the hability to influence on your opponent`s emotions is very important in all aspects of life, but specially more in sports, professional sports. But even in the playground, playing with your friends, the hability to annoy them, get into their head is directly influencing their game, some way or another.

Rodman was annoying for opponents, but so valuable for the teams he played in, even more valuable than some people who appreciate him could notice. The fluid trash-talking, the mental-strength, the stalking...this things can get to everybody, and he was a master recognizing who had a weak or explosive mind and could end up playing this mind-games.

It also makes you appreciate cold-guys like Tim Duncan, who seem to not care at all the trash-talking the guy received, like a solid wall, just kept playing his game and nobody bothered him, cold and effective as a mofo. Others like Karl Malone and Alonzo Mourning didnt know how to handle their emotions that well, and you could see the desperation and fustration in their eyes when they played against a solid concentrated Dennis Rodman. If I had to pick a player to complement my franchise star and my second option I would pick Dennis without doubt, intelligent movement by the Bulls there, making friends with the enemy, much like Artest with the Lakers.

I miss this kind of guys, the closest thing we have now is Garnett, but he is turning old too and didnt have the same hability to annoy and stalk that Rodman had.

ProfessorMurder
09-19-2010, 03:07 PM

Man I f*cking love Rodman :oldlol: :oldlol: It was his mission just to f*ck with everybody.

Da_Realist
09-19-2010, 05:35 PM
You got to love Rodman. Some people hate on this kind of players, like they hate on Kevin Garnett, but they dont understand what intangibles this guys bring to the game and how important they are in the developing of these.

Head/Mind games, and the hability to influence on your opponent`s emotions is very important in all aspects of life, but specially more in sports, professional sports. But even in the playground, playing with your friends, the hability to annoy them, get into their head is directly influencing their game, some way or another.

Rodman was annoying for opponents, but so valuable for the teams he played in, even more valuable than some people who appreciate him could notice. The fluid trash-talking, the mental-strength, the stalking...this things can get to everybody, and he was a master recognizing who had a weak or explosive mind and could end up playing this mind-games.

It also makes you appreciate cold-guys like Tim Duncan, who seem to not care at all the trash-talking the guy received, like a solid wall, just kept playing his game and nobody bothered him, cold and effective as a mofo. Others like Karl Malone and Alonzo Mourning didnt know how to handle their emotions that well, and you could see the desperation and fustration in their eyes when they played against a solid concentrated Dennis Rodman. If I had to pick a player to complement my franchise star and my second option I would pick Dennis without doubt, intelligent movement by the Bulls there, making friends with the enemy, much like Artest with the Lakers.

I miss this kind of guys, the closest thing we have now is Garnett, but he is turning old too and didnt have the same hability to annoy and stalk that Rodman had.

Very True. Especially about how Rodman targeted emotional guys like Mourning. This was Game 4, but Rodman had been doing this shit since Game 1. By the end of this game, Mourning wanted to kick Rodman's ass. :oldlol: And technically speaking, he threw a punch and should have been ejected.

DatWasNashty
09-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Rodman was definitely one of my favorites. My earliest memory of him is probably the way he harassed Dominique Wilkins in the 1991 playoffs. Nique couldn't beat him off the dribble with any consistency and was literally shut down for the entire series. Dennis just had mind-boggling lateral quickness for a 6'8" dude.

I think he went on to shut down Reggie Lewis in G1 of the Celtics/Pistons series that year and then held Bird in check for the rest of the series. Tried getting in Pippen's head as well by throwing a couple of cheap shots for good measure. Pippen held his own, though.

I remember we almost traded for him in the 1993 season. Wish that trade would've gone down because it would give us a legit defensive stopper although we'd have some positional issues. Trade was Dumas for Rodman but Detroit waived it off due to Dumas' drug relapse. But, Chuck and Rodman on the same team is intriguing as fukk. Nobody would outrebound us.

Loved the way he played mind games with Zo, Brickowski and Malone and how he dyed his hair which led to NBC showing a clip of the Bulls' record in 1996 with his various hair colors.

icewill36
09-19-2010, 08:19 PM
rodman was the biggest troll ever

Da_Realist
09-21-2010, 08:09 AM
Chicago Bulls @ Miami Heat
Eastern Conference Finals Game 3
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/800596A9DD2DF2AE

The Bulls best game of the playoffs.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705240MIA.html

Da_Realist
09-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Barkley calls out... Olajuwon? Drexler? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fBcHpMxvhk)

Who is he talking about?

Da_Realist
09-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Utah Jazz @ Houston Rockets
Western Conference Finals Game 4
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/3C50E8FB7435C0EC

Down to the wire...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705250HOU.html

ShaqAttack3234
09-24-2010, 09:18 PM
I honestly don't remember that series too well. To be honest, once Ewing got hurt I checked out. I knew it was gonna be a wrap for the Spurs. I do remember Larry Johnson's shot but the rest is a blur. I'll have to watch it again to get a better feel for it.

Do you remember how the Knicks lost to the Pacers 4-1 in 98? I'm drawing a blank. They were legitimate championship contenders in 97 and they made it to the Finals in 99. But there's that huge turd in 98. What happened?

Sorry, I missed this post initially.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

The Knicks had aged and Ewing went down early in the season, missed the rest of the regular season and the Miami series before coming back in game 2 vs Indiana and not only did that prevent them from having any kind of chemistry or homecourt advantage, but Ewing's body was rapidly breaking down, a similar thing happened to Olajuwon around the same time. Ewing played horribly vs Indiana. Hell, the Knicks didn't have an easy time even making the playoffs.

They hadn't yet transitioned out of the "Patrick Ewing" era, and what I mean by that is, the years that Ewing was the clear franchise player. The addition of Sprewell was huge in '99, he gave them energy, athleticism as well as excellent play at both ends and he combined with Houston to give them a 1-2 punch to make up for the declining Ewing whose health was no longer reliable.

Da_Realist
09-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Chicago Bulls @ Miami Heat
Eastern Conference Finals Game 4
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/625A7DB83A84322A

Alonzo guaranteed the win and Miami made it happen. Jordan shot horribly for 3 quarters and then looked like Mr. Jordan again. But it wasn't enough...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705260MIA.html

Da_Realist
09-25-2010, 11:51 PM
NBA Special (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD_GM0WU8f0) (Pregame and Halftime of Bulls/Heat Game 5)

Highlights...

-- Recap of Rockets/Jazz Game 5

-- Karl Malone wins 1997 NBA MVP

-- Segment on Barkley/Malone

-- Karl Malone interview

-- Update on Rodman/Mourning tussle from Bulls/Heat Game 4

Da_Realist
09-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Eastern Conference Finals Game 5
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/97AC48784CA15DED

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705280CHI.html

Da_Realist
09-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Utah Jazz @ Houston Rockets
Western Conference Finals Game 6
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/82AEB08E7165C917

The Dream and The Glide gave a great effort, but it wasn't enough. Stockton drove a stake right through the heart and sent the Jazz to the NBA Finals.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705290HOU.html

L.A. Jazz
09-29-2010, 10:11 AM
big thanks for the Jazz-Rockets games. :applause:
Stockton did everything in the 4th of game 6 to get to the finals. :bowdown:

beermonsteroo
09-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Saddly Barkley totally ckoked in game 6:cry:

Da_Realist
09-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Will upload the NBA Finals soon along with bonus postgame coverage for some of the games. This includes postgame conferences, interviews and analysis. Golden stuff. I already uploaded some of this stuff from the 91 and 96 Finals. I have some more stuff from the 93 Finals I will upload a little later.

I love this stuff. Found out how much Nate was hurting in the 96 Finals and why it was so important to Payton that he play -- from a strategic point of view. Forgot about Scottie's foot from this series too. Neither the Bulls or the Sonics were at full strength (Harper was hurt, too). Maybe that's why the series was so poorly played. Also some segments that highlight Rodman's play that series plus quite a few interviews with him.

Just uploaded an ESPN special debating MJ's merits as the GOAT in 93 that was done right after the Finals that year. Thought it was interesting that they were having that discussion then. Also have another segment comparing the Bulls dynasty (up to that point) against the Lakers, Celtics, etc. Good stuff. Another segment discussing the final play (Paxson's series winning three) as told from MJ, PJ, and Paxson's point of view. And the usual post championship stuff most people throw away right after.

Da_Realist
09-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Utah Jazz @ Chicago Bulls
NBA Finals Game 1
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/D0864A3614C383F3

The Mailman doesn't deliver on Sundays

Scottie Pippen -- 27 pts (58 fg%), 9 rebs, 2 asts, 3 stls and 4 blks on an injured foot.

MJ -- 31 pts (48 fg%), 4 rebs, 8 asts, 1 blk and the game-winning shot

Very competitive game. Utah led throughout most of the game, but couldn't hold on it. Karl Malone missed a crucial pair of free throws before MJ's game-winning shot.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199706010CHI.html

CNBC Postgame Special

Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2MBGOGzYCs)

Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQWHvnGL47U)

Part 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeL01mKQfFY)

Da_Realist
10-03-2010, 07:13 PM
NBA Finals Game 2
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/5F2594806FB2615A

MJ -- 38 pts (55 fg%), 13 rebs, 9 asts, 2 stls. One measly assist away from a monstrous triple double.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199706040CHI.html

CNBC Postgame Special

Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmC3m1m4jSQ)

Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICIEPOKCNnk)

Part 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpshTwzKnh4)

OldSchoolBBall
10-03-2010, 07:44 PM
NBA Finals Game 2
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/5F2594806FB2615A

MJ -- 38 pts (55 fg%), 13 rebs, 9 asts, 2 stls. One measly assist away from a monstrous triple double.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199706040CHI.html

CNBC Postgame Special

Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmC3m1m4jSQ)

Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICIEPOKCNnk)

Part 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpshTwzKnh4)

Great game from MJ. Should have had like 12-13 assists, but Pippen/Kukoc missed a few easy layups inside off Jordan feeds in the 4th.

Da_Realist
10-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Chicago Bulls @ Utah Jazz
NBA Finals Game 3
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/51F7A1813A1CB018

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199706060UTA.html

BarberSchool
10-09-2010, 01:06 PM
The same way I believe he was better in 91 than he was in 88, despite the numbers being worse across the board -- by watching him play. It's a subjective opinion, but at least it's based on his actual play and not analyzing his box scores. I made it a point not to even look at all the advanced stats before stating my opinion. He was noticeably quicker, stronger and he had a lot more stamina than he did in 96.Having started watching basketball in 90/91, I can vouch for everything Da Realist is stating. People who never saw the era looking at stats got alot of things twisted.

Da_Realist
10-09-2010, 09:11 PM
NBA Finals Game 4
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/9C033DEF55DDF2D0

Rarely does someone take a game from Jordan's clenched hands, but Stockton does just that in this game. Jordan was putting in work in the 4th and the Bulls were preparing to take a 3-1 series lead. Then Stockton happened. Shot, steal, pass. And just like that, the series was tied at 2-2.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199706080UTA.html

OldSchoolBBall
10-09-2010, 09:55 PM
NBA Finals Game 4
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/9C033DEF55DDF2D0

Rarely does someone take a game from Jordan's clenched hands, but Stockton does just that in this game. Jordan was putting in work in the 4th and the Bulls were preparing to take a 3-1 series lead. Then Stockton happened. Shot, steal, pass. And just like that, the series was tied at 2-2.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199706080UTA.html

Is this the game where Stockton strips MJ as he spins, and then Jordan gets absolutely JOBBED by the refs on a blocked shot as he hustled back to stop Stock's fastbreak layup? Walton and Goukas were incredulous that a foul was called; both replay angles showed all ball. Tremendous hustle and desire by Jordan. Game-changing call imo.

Duncan21formvp
10-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Is this the game where Stockton strips MJ as he spins, and then Jordan gets absolutely JOBBED by the refs on a blocked shot as he hustled back to stop Stock's fastbreak layup? Walton and Goukas were incredulous that a foulw as called; both replay angles showed all ball. Tremendous hustle and desire by Jordan. Game-changing non-call imo.

Yep. Game 4 of the Finals. If you have Game 5 that year they show highlights of that Game 4 at the beginning and Marv Albert mentions that Stockton stole the ball from MJ.

Da_Realist
10-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Is this the game where Stockton strips MJ as he spins, and then Jordan gets absolutely JOBBED by the refs on a blocked shot as he hustled back to stop Stock's fastbreak layup? Walton and Goukas were incredulous that a foul was called; both replay angles showed all ball. Tremendous hustle and desire by Jordan. Game-changing call imo.

That was a clean block...in fact, Stockton cleared Jordan with his left arm going for the layup. It should have been a foul going the other way. But, oh well. It wasn't that obvious in real time.

Btw, watch Karl Malone basically use that opportunity to run though MJ while he's in the air. Typical Karl Malone. :rolleyes:

Da_Realist
10-10-2010, 07:24 PM
NBA Finals Game 5
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/5D994C49D04D5ACD

The Flu Game

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199706110UTA.html

Da_Realist
10-11-2010, 12:47 PM
NBA Finals Game 6
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/E1EAC71AACEA0BFF

Michael to Scottie after he was handed the MVP trophy -- Hey! (pulling Scottie over) You hold this, too. You deserve this, too. You my MVP, dog.

------

Ahmad: Michael you're named MVP, but as you accepted the trophy you said to Scottie that he was YOUR MVP

Michael: Scottie Pippen is the...we're a tandem. It's hard to split us up. He means a lot to me when I go out and play on the basketball court. He relieves a lot of the pressures that I have to deal with. I try to do the same for him. It's hard to take this MVP by myself. He's gotta take half of it. I'll take the trophy, he may get the car!

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199706130CHI.html

Sportscenter Postgame Recap (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXijyvlvkSA)

This Week In The NBA Recap (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvY_lh8oF7A)

Da_Realist
10-11-2010, 04:58 PM
MJ speaks about Karl Malone winning the MVP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQxOYpvhQuU)

Holy Random
10-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Just checked out the sick game, thanks for posting all these. Some of my favorite random parts from that game.

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv329/Fatal9/MaloneOstertag.gif

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv329/Fatal9/KerrKukoc.gif

Lebron23
10-11-2010, 11:04 PM
NBA Finals Game 6
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjhunt76?feature=mhum#g/c/E1EAC71AACEA0BFF

Michael to Scottie after he was handed the MVP trophy -- Hey! (pulling Scottie over) You hold this, too. You deserve this, too. You my MVP, dog.

------

Ahmad: Michael you're named MVP, but as you accepted the trophy you said to Scottie that he was YOUR MVP

Michael: Scottie Pippen is the...we're a tandem. It's hard to split us up. He means a lot to me when I go out and play on the basketball court. He relieves a lot of the pressures that I have to deal with. I try to do the same for him. It's hard to take this MVP by myself. He's gotta take half of it. I'll take the trophy, he may get the car!

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199706130CHI.html

Sportscenter Postgame Recap (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXijyvlvkSA)

This Week In The NBA Recap (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvY_lh8oF7A)

Great Speech from Michael Jordan.

Nash-tastic
10-12-2010, 04:29 AM
Awesome thread :applause:

Da_Realist
10-13-2010, 12:04 AM
Barkley Interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7noqEFY3U0) (1997 NBA Finals Game 5 Halftime)

magnax1
10-13-2010, 12:12 AM
Despite working on TV for ten years, Barkley's public speaking ability seems to have degraded since 1997.

Da_Realist
11-12-2010, 11:15 PM
MJ was a boss in 97. More spring in his legs, quicker and stronger. There is a noticeable difference from 96 if you watch enough games. It sounds unbelievable, but I think he was still working himself back even throughout the 96 season. Which means, we lost 3 seasons where MJ was either not playing or he was playing at less than his full capacity. I think 97 was his first real season back.

He was noticeably quicker, stronger and he had a lot more stamina than he did in 96.

I want to find where Jordan mentioned his knees were bothering him in 96 and that he lost weight and gained some quickness in 97. Just want some validation to what I think I'm seeing.

Found it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUkMHEGPfdk) :D

"And as Ahmad mentioned earlier, Jordan feels that he's quicker this season (1997). Lost about 5 or 6 lbs and did not play as much basketball as he did going into the previous season."

Taken from Christmas Day Game -- 12-25-96
Detroit Pistons @ Chicago Bulls

Da_Realist
11-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Shaq Interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6FlZAl3Hzg) from April 1997

Da_Realist
11-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Shawn Kemp denies alcoholism (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCma_FsSKBA) April 1997

Da_Realist
11-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Kevin Johnson Interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvXmOd4pI1I) April 1997