PDA

View Full Version : Good god Jordan got so much hype...

joyner82
09-01-2010, 05:30 PM
This is before he even won a title and he was going up against Magic in the Finals :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9gVXoOBFd4

The freaking intro is about NOTHING but Jordan

DuMa
09-01-2010, 05:35 PM
i remember lebron also got much hype in the 2007 NBA Finals. He also got so much hype afterwards, even earning a guest host spot on the ESPYs

Soundwave
09-01-2010, 05:36 PM
I think this is after game 3 though, the tide was turning, going into the series people were 50-50 that he would be able to win a title ... by this point he had the spectacular game 2 and even better in game 3.

NBC and everyone could sense what was coming. It wasn't like this was the intro for game 1.

Youtube has the full series up, I'd recommend actually watching it and you'll maybe understand a little better what was going on.

He was coming off an unbelievable game 3 performance where he won the game almost single handedly in over time (Pippen was fouled out).

Samurai Swoosh
09-01-2010, 05:36 PM
This is before he even won a title and he was going up against Magic in the Finals :lol

Uhh because the game before he carried them to a dramatic win, and the Bulls had all the power for the rest of the series. Greatest player in the game about to get his first CHAMPIONSHIP ... yeah, I don't see what's wrong with tis ... Magic was a footnote by this time.

bdreason
09-01-2010, 05:40 PM
And they hype was met with a championship win over Magic and the Lakers... so why even bother with this thread?

The hype was obviously justified... unlike the artificial hype on NBA players today that can't live up to it.

Soundwave
09-01-2010, 05:40 PM
It was pretty funny that Phil Jackson put Jordan on 7'1 Divac because Cartwright kept getting in foul trouble, lol.

Soundwave
09-01-2010, 05:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUM-3dthahY

There's the latter end of game 3 (1991 NBA Finals). Jordan basically wills the Bulls to victory.

BTW this is the actual intro to game 1 of the NBA Finals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np5XqW0Z1w8

It's a Magic-Michael montage, hardly a hype piece for one player over the other.

crisoner
09-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Yeah...but at least Jordan lived up to all of it.

catch24
09-01-2010, 05:49 PM
And it was well deserved. His '91 postseason was arguably the best he's ever been.

beermonsteroo
09-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Jordan was a world wide icon way before his first title. Jordan made the NBA popular world wide. Internationally, by the late 1980es Jordan was the face of the NBA, not Bird or Magic.

west
09-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Jordan was a man on a mission and all the hype was well deserved.

Soundwave
09-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Jordan was a world wide icon way before his first title. Jordan made the NBA popular world wide. Internationally, by the late 1980es Jordan was the face of the NBA, not Bird or Magic.

Jordan was the "cool" guy to like, Magic/Bird were the more "trusty" guys.

After the Bulls lost game 1, I think a lot of people thought the Lakers were going to win the series.

And then .... game 2 happened.

EarlTheGoat
09-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Durant > Jordan ??

west
09-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Durant > Jordan ??
"Waits for joyner82's stats and tell us Durant is more efficient."

FormerSunsFan
09-01-2010, 08:39 PM
i don't care when it was, that was incredibly cheesy...YOU. i love Costas, but jeez, come up for some air buddy.

best part about the clip was the ghetto bball action. it takes me back.

http://www.collegeslackers.com/daily_images/353.jpg

magnax1
09-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Not any worse then Lebron or Kobe did at one point.

Batz
09-01-2010, 08:41 PM
srsly.

Glide2keva
09-01-2010, 08:49 PM
These guys just hate anything positive about Jordan. Look up his numbers for that series, they were ridiculous.

OldSchoolBBall
09-01-2010, 08:52 PM
These guys just hate anything positive about Jordan. Look up his numbers for that series, they were ridiculous.

Still the gold standard for a playoff series by a perimeter player on both ends of the floor.

Glide2keva
09-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Still the gold standard for a playoff series by a perimeter player on both ends of the floor.
For real.

I haven't seen anyone come close to matching it. Let alone exceeding it.

Yung D-Will
09-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Jordan was never good.

Okur >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jordan

:oldlol:

I Jokezzz

AK47DR91
09-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Jordan was a basketball God, so of course he's gonna get hyped.

For a decade, the NBA actually challenged the NFL and MLB for the #1 spot in American sports. All of that was because of Jordan with the building of Bird and Magic, of course.

Since Jordan's retirement, NBA's been battling the NHL for 3rd/4th place. :rolleyes:

magnax1
09-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Jordan was never good.

Okur >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jordan

:oldlol:

I Jokezzz
Stockton>Jordan
Not joking
Actually joking though

Courtside View
09-01-2010, 09:07 PM
What Jordan detractors just can't get through their heads, either because they're ignorant or have some sort of biased agenda is that Jordan was one of the rare athletes to always MEET and SURPASS the hype. That's what made him so special, not ESPN, Nike, Gatorade or whoever. There are athletes that are hyped and then don't deliver. Jordan was the very opposite of that.

There is just no way any reasonable person could look at his career and say that it was just built on "hype". Well, Bryant Nuts can, but they don't count.

I hope this joyner dude isn't a symbol of a new wave of Durant wackjobs.

Meticode
09-01-2010, 09:08 PM

And he showed why he deserved it.

jstern
09-01-2010, 09:27 PM
I've been noticing that the new thing for the Kobe trolls is to say that Jordan's greatness is the creation of hype by ESPN and Nike. They're going full force with it. Forget his accomplishments, it's really all because of Nike.

Anyway, that's how the games started back then, with a dramatic intro. It's still similar these days.

StroShow4
09-01-2010, 09:31 PM
If there was an ISH back in 1991 I imagine that everyone would be going apesh!t over that.

Allstar24
09-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Doesn't matter because Mike lived up to the hype...unlike a certain somebody who got swept in the finals after being over-hyped prior to it.

Soundwave
09-01-2010, 10:44 PM
What Jordan detractors just can't get through their heads, either because they're ignorant or have some sort of biased agenda is that Jordan was one of the rare athletes to always MEET and SURPASS the hype. That's what made him so special, not ESPN, Nike, Gatorade or whoever. There are athletes that are hyped and then don't deliver. Jordan was the very opposite of that.

There is just no way any reasonable person could look at his career and say that it was just built on "hype". Well, Bryant Nuts can, but they don't count.

I hope this joyner dude isn't a symbol of a new wave of Durant wackjobs.

Jordan was ridiculously popular with the general public, far moreso than any basketball player today.

Thousands and thousands of people showed up to watch him play baseball in friggin' Birmingham Alabama during his first retirement.

I don't even think 100 people would show up to watch Kobe/LeBron/Durant/Wade play another sport.

No corporation can create that, Nike/NBC/NBA/etc. helped foster it, but you can't create it. It's one of those things that happens. The NBA was lucky it happened to them.

You mention the NBA/basketball to non-fans and casual fans today and you hear a lot of "the NBA sucks/basketball sucks" nowadays. In the internet era maybe it's just not possible anymore for one single athlete to be that popular any more.

rmt
09-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Can you imagine how much bigger MJ would be in this age of internet, satellite and cable tv?

He exceeded his hype unlike the players of today.

Soundwave
09-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Can you imagine how much bigger MJ would be in this age of internet, satellite and cable tv?

It's kind of a double edged sword ... today athletes/famous people are over exposed in some ways.

Back then, a celebrity/athlete's popularity would spread a lot based on word of mouth.

The internet I think in a lot of ways has destroyed the concept of the rock star, and is eroding the concept of the mega-athlete.

Back then, things were just simpler. Every kid wanted a Raiders or Bulls jacket. There was 1 kind of Air Jordan. You either played Nintendo or Sega.

Today kids are over-saturated with choices and every athlete is spoiled and crowned a superstar before they even play a game.

Bring-Your-Js
09-01-2010, 11:43 PM
LMAO

Wasnt this the series he dropped 31 ppg on like 56% with 11 dimes pg? :oldlol:

:applause:

Rose
09-01-2010, 11:47 PM
It's kind of a double edged sword ... today athletes/famous people are over exposed in some ways.

Back then, a celebrity/athlete's popularity would spread a lot based on word of mouth.

The internet I think in a lot of ways has destroyed the concept of the rock star, and is eroding the concept of the mega-athlete.

Back then, things were just simpler. Every kid wanted a Raiders or Bulls jacket. There was 1 kind of Air Jordan. You either played Nintendo or Sega.

Today kids are over-saturated with choices and every athlete is spoiled and crowned a superstar before they even play a game.
Great post! I agree entirely.

Ruh-Roh
09-02-2010, 12:07 AM
****, I miss the NBA on NBC theme soooo much....

Rose
09-02-2010, 12:09 AM
****, I miss the NBA on NBC theme soooo much....
Best NBA theme ever? I think so!

Disaprine
09-02-2010, 12:13 AM
this

Ruh-Roh
09-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Best NBA theme ever? I think so!

You'd get the pre-game intro...build a story line...

...then this awesome ass music comes in and you're in front of the tv going OHHH MY ****ING GOD I'M SO EXCITED!!!!

That music built memories for me. :lol

Rose
09-02-2010, 12:23 AM
You'd get the pre-game intro...build a story line...

...then this awesome ass music comes in and you're in front of the tv going OHHH MY ****ING GOD I'M SO EXCITED!!!!

That music built memories for me. :lol
Haha ! I know it was amazing! I remember being a kid and sneaking into my closet( I had my tv in there so that way my parents knew when I was watching tv and could monitor how much I watched it) to watch the Bulls play. It was pretty awesome. I mean I was like 6 or 7 at the time, but it still brings back soooo many memories.

Rake2204
09-02-2010, 12:58 AM
LMAO

Wasnt this the series he dropped 31 ppg on like 56% with 11 dimes pg? :oldlol:

That's the one. Somehow, I didn't realize he averaged 11 freaking assists through that series until I read players would have to replicate those stats in the Jordan Challenge in NBA 2K11.

HisJoeness
09-02-2010, 01:01 AM
Lol. We haven't heard from the OP since he created this stupid thread.

Bring-Your-Js
09-02-2010, 01:09 AM
That's the one. Somehow, I didn't realize he averaged 11 freaking assists through that series until I read players would have to replicate those stats in the Jordan Challenge in NBA 2K11.

The first threepeat all together was just filthy. It's like, whaddaya want: 31 ppg, 11 apg on 56%, 36 ppg, 6 rpg, 5 apg on 52% or 41 ppg, 8 rpg, 6 apg at meager 50%? :oldlol:

Would make for a good poll question.

OldSchoolBBall
09-02-2010, 01:16 AM
The first threepeat all together was just filthy. It's like, whaddaya want: 31 ppg, 11 apg on 56%, 36 ppg, 6 rpg, 5 apg on 52% or 41 ppg, 8 rpg, 6 apg at meager 50%? :oldlol:

Would make for a good poll question.

Actually, MJ's 1992 Finals stats were 36 pts/5 reb/6.5 ast/53% FG and he also shot 51% in the '93 Finals, not 50%. :D

Bring-Your-Js
09-02-2010, 01:28 AM
Actually, MJ's 1992 Finals stats were 36 pts/5 reb/6.5 ast/53% FG and he also shot 51% in the '93 Finals, not 50%. :D

Details. :lol

Mike should've never walked away. If anybody spoiled people it was him. I do admit I was :wtf: pretty much the entire 96 Finals though. Fully expected something on par, but how could you not at that point, you know?

This coming from a Lakers fan, labeled supposed "kobe stan". No.

Jacks3
09-02-2010, 01:30 AM
Yeah, it's disgusting the love Jordan got from the media while the true GOAT Kareem was ostracized, disdained, and not at all respected like he should have been.

DJ Leon Smith
09-02-2010, 04:03 AM
Was this thread really made by the guy who swings from the ballbag of the player they're hyping up to be the NBA's all-time leading scorer before he's won a playoff series? Really?

O.J A 6'4Mamba
09-02-2010, 04:11 AM

That was one hell of an intro. the crazy part about it is true. Every kid in the mid to late teens in the 90's wanted to be like Mike. Not Magic, Larry, Isiah, Stockton, but Mike. Nobody could quite come close, except one teenage prospect

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5071/11368014560er3.jpg

C-Webb4
09-02-2010, 04:16 AM
Good god, only a kiddie who wasn't old enough to witness this man in the late 80s and early 90s would say that he got TOO MUCH hype. The guy brought hype to the game of basketball like it had never seen before. There were great players before him, sure, but he transcended the game and sky-rocketed it's popularity with his talent, drive, charisma, just everything about the guy. It was the right thing to do to market him properly and acknowledge how great of a player he was.

haterofhaters
09-02-2010, 04:24 AM
Man I was going through all of the related videos and remembering how much I loved the NBA on NBC back in the day. Oh, and OP is a moron.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_erU72-Kp8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbtEyJcxiw0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE3PZtxsiQU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU6CCWx0dPo&feature=related

Doranku
09-02-2010, 04:37 AM
It's funny, I guarantee if Kobe had the same game 3 in an NBA Finals that Jordan did in '91, he'd be getting slammed for it. 39%? 29 points on 28 shots? His OT performance would be merely regarded by some of you as "making up for chucking that almost cost his team the game". :oldlol:

C-Webb4
09-02-2010, 04:47 AM
It's funny, I guarantee if Kobe had the same game 3 in an NBA Finals that Jordan did in '91, he'd be getting slammed for it. 39%? 29 points on 28 shots? His OT performance would be merely regarded by some of you as "making up for chucking that almost cost his team the game". :oldlol:
Jordan had bad finals games, but regardless there's no denying the dude went 6/6 in the finals and won MVP every time. He's pretty much the only reason why Karl Malone, John Stockton, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing, and countless other all-time greats retired without championship rings.

OldSchoolBBall
09-02-2010, 04:57 AM

Hysterical that one of MJ's worst games from any of the first three-peat's Finals is still better than Kobe's CAREER FINALS AVERAGES, huh? :oldlol:

29 pts/9 reb/9 ast/4 stl/2 blk/39% FG > 27 pts/6 reb/5 ast/41% FG or whatever it is.

Glide2keva
09-02-2010, 08:15 AM
So in other words, another bash Jordan thread FAILED!!!!!

Glide2keva
09-02-2010, 08:21 AM
Yeah, it's disgusting the love Jordan got from the media while the true GOAT Kareem was ostracized, disdained, and not at all respected like he should have been.
You are an idiot

Glide2keva
09-02-2010, 08:23 AM
What's funny is that Kobe wouldn't get 31points, 11assists on 56% shooting in ONE GAME, let alone average that for an ENTIRE SERIES.

You FAILED!!!

Desperado
09-02-2010, 08:44 AM

Yeah it really is sad.

The only time Kareem even gets mentioned on ESPN is when they discover he was diagnosed for cancer and even then he just gets a short segment.

Could you imagine if MJ was diagnosed with cancer? He would be on ESPN all day like it was the end of the world. It would seem like there was a global tragedy or epidemic. After all Jordan walked on water, opened the eyes of the blind, raised a man from the dead and cured the sick. :lol

jstern
09-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Yeah it really is sad.

The only time Kareem even gets mentioned on ESPN is when they discover he was diagnosed for cancer and even then he just gets a short segment.

Could you imagine if MJ was diagnosed with cancer? He would be on ESPN all day like it was the end of the world like it was a global tragedy or epidemic. After all Jordan walked on water, opened the eyes of the blind, raised a man from the dead and cured the sick. :lol
Jordan = Ratings

lpublic_enemyl
09-02-2010, 09:02 AM
jordan = win .PERIOD

Glide2keva
09-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Yeah it really is sad.

Could you imagine if MJ was diagnosed with cancer? He would be on ESPN all day like it was the end of the world. It would seem like there was a global tragedy or epidemic. After all Jordan walked on water, opened the eyes of the blind, raised a man from the dead and cured the sick. :lolwhat's really sad is how you can have so much hate for someone whom you never met and only played a sport better than everyone else that did it.

Did Jordan murder your mother or something?

Desperado
09-02-2010, 09:49 AM
what's really sad is how you can have so much hate for someone whom you never met and only played a sport better than everyone else that did it.

Did Jordan murder your mother or something?

I don't hate Jordan though.

I just hated all the media hype when he was playing, they overrated him beyond belief and his delusional, idiotic fan base that acts like a cult makes it even worse.

Glide2keva
09-02-2010, 10:14 AM

I just hated all the media hype when he was playing, they overrated him beyond belief and his delusional, idiotic fan base that acts like a cult makes it even worse.
He lived up to every piece of "hype" he got. That's what you fail to realize. Jordan got the hype because he was very good at what he did, not the other way around.

Today players get so much hype, and almost always fail to meet it (lebron). At least Kobe delivers in some of the hype he's gotten. Jordan never failed to deliver when the lights were on. That has nothing to do with "media hype", he was just that good. Even people who hated him growing up, recognize this fact. Why can't you?

If you were watching then as it seems to suggest you were, then you'd know his "hype" came from his play, not his play coming from his hype.

Calabis
09-02-2010, 10:16 AM

LMAO...your a complete moron, Jordan was hit in a negative light (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt0qLfSMC9w)in the media several times. Black leaders called him out for not taking a stand, his father killed because of his gambling, but what the **** would a 20 something year old dude know who was 4-6 years old at the time

Calabis
09-02-2010, 10:20 AM

You mean the same media hype your hero got, sitting on the bench avg 7 points per game, when he first played Jordan???? Ala the next Michael Jordan

Glide2keva
09-02-2010, 10:23 AM
And you penalizing a fan base for being fans of the greatest players of all time is beyond ridiculous. It's all because of Kobe fans wanting to take Jordan down a peg and prop Kobe up.

The thing you guys fail to understand is that if Kobe had earned his hype and exceed Jordan as a player, every Jordan fan would readily say so. We may be Jordan fans, but we're basketball fans also. And as good as Kobe is and has been in his career, anyone who has watched both players from start to finish, like I have will tell you Jordan was the better player. Throw stats out of the window (even though they hugely favor Jordan). Shot for shot, move for move, dunk for dunk, etc. Jordan was better, statsonly back this up.

That no hate to Kobe, because he's been one of the top players this decade and in the last three seasons, he's become a very smart player and has done some incredible things on the court in his own right. He's been great, hut when comparing him to Jordan, Jordan was better.

Glide2keva
09-02-2010, 10:31 AM
And you penalizing a fan base for being fans of the greatest players of all time is beyond ridiculous. It's all because of Kobe fans wanting to take Jordan down a peg and prop Kobe up.

The thing you guys fail to understand is that if Kobe had earned his hype and exceed Jordan as a player, every Jordan fan would readily say so. We may be Jordan fans, but we're basketball fans also. And as good as Kobe is and has been in his career, anyone who has watched both players from start to finish, like I have will tell you Jordan was the better player. Throw stats out of the window (even though they hugely favor Jordan). Shot for shot, move for move, dunk for dunk, etc. Jordan was better, statsonly back this up.

That no hate to Kobe, because he's been one of the top players this decade and in the last three seasons, he's become a very smart player and has done some incredible things on the court in his own right. He's been great, hut when comparing him to Jordan, Jordan was better.
And if Kobe was better, we wouldn't need to be told that every yen seconds, we would just know and he wouldn't need to be propped up. It was the same with Dr. J fans back in the day. They couldn't accept Jordan was better than him. The thing is, most Jordan fans love Dr. J as they see him as the Jordan blueprint. We say Jordan took things from Erving and improved on them and took them tom whole different level. I don't see Jordan fans putting him down.

Desperado
09-02-2010, 10:31 AM
He lived up to every piece of "hype" he got. That's what you fail to realize. Jordan got the hype because he was very good at what he did, not the other way around.

Today players get so much hype, and almost always fail to meet it (lebron). At least Kobe delivers in some of the hype he's gotten. Jordan never failed to deliver when the lights were on. That has nothing tondo with "media hype", he was just that good. Even people who hated him growing up, recognize this fact. Why can't you?

If you were watching then as it seems to suggest you were, then you'd know his "hype" came from his play, not his play coming from his hype.

He was just another great player though, one of the greatest ever true but we get at least one all-time great each decade.

While other players have been hyped, no player was ever as heavily promoted and hyped as Jordan, his marketing campaign rivals that of a presidential candidates. He came along at the right time too. Right when David Stern became the commissioner and heavily marketed the NBA to corporate America.

Rose
09-02-2010, 10:34 AM

I kinda think he lived up to his hype. I mean branded as the next Jordan he's certainly gotten closer than Grant Hill, Vinsanity, and LeBronze James. He's easily the closest thing we've seen to Jordan and he's only 32, he's still ahead of him in rings by age. And he's got the chance to get a few more and have some brilliant playoff/Finals performances. I'm not saying he is better, or will be, or is very close. But I think he's close enough to Jordan's level where we can start arguing just how close he is and what it takes. Because for all intents in purposes, I believe he's almost as physically skilled. And he's close mentally, he just lacks something there.

Desperado
09-02-2010, 10:38 AM

No its because his fans are some of the most delusional, obnoxious and ignorant in all of sports. The act like a cult.

The majority of his fans just grew up watching Space Jam and their basketball knowledge is limited and they no nothing about the history of them game. The one's that didn't grow up watching Space Jam as a kid started watching basketball around the Nike introduced Air Jordans. Got their basketball education by watching ESPN highlights and Inside Stuff with Ahmad Rashad.

Desperado
09-02-2010, 10:56 AM
I kinda think he lived up to his hype. I mean branded as the next Jordan he's certainly gotten closer than Grant Hill, Vinsanity, and LeBronze James. He's easily the closest thing we've seen to Jordan and he's only 32, he's still ahead of him in rings by age. And he's got the chance to get a few more and have some brilliant playoff/Finals performances. I'm not saying he is better, or will be, or is very close. But I think he's close enough to Jordan's level where we can start arguing just how close he is and what it takes. Because for all intents in purposes, I believe he's almost as physically skilled. And he's close mentally, he just lacks something there.

That's what I have said, I don't think he is on Jordan's level but he is eaisly the closest we have ever seen.

The media has always been searching for ''the next Jordan''. From Penny, Grant Hill, Harold Minor, Vince Carter, Jerry Stackhouse, T-Mac, AI etc.

Kobe was the only one to live up to expectations and the fact that the media compares keeps comparing him to Jordan and says he is ''chasing Jordan'' and continues to hype Kobe as the next best thing to Jordan infuriates Jordan fans, especially those that grew up with him as their childhood hero. Deep down I think they wish Kobe would have been one of the ''next Jordan'' players that failed to live up to expectations. Also even worse to their fear is that if Kobe wins 6 or more rings the media will hail Kobe as the ''new GOAT'' because MJ has been heavily promoted as the GOAT for so long long now that its getting stale and they have already milked Jordan as much as they could for 20+ years and they need something new. Especially considering that the next generation of basketball fans won't even remember Jordan and the NBA now more than ever is a star driven league.

MiseryCityTexas
09-02-2010, 10:57 AM
bulls mainly won that year cause the best players on the lakers were injured. if worthy, and even bryon scott wa healthy, jordan woulda had hella fits. magic was still in his prime even though he was older in 91. his teammates were freaking terry teagle, and tony campbell. maybe magic shoulda passed the ball to divac alot more. magic, divac, and sam perkins were like the best players on that lakers team and shit after worthy and scott got hurt.

2LeTTeRS
09-02-2010, 11:04 AM

Not trying to make this a Kobe-Bron thread,, but how can it be said the Bron has not lived up to his hype when he was an instant contributor to the league, has won 2 MVPs and is still being compared to GOAT candidates on an almost daily basis and he's not even played 10 seasons yet. I understand that he's not won a title yet, but he's 25 still playing and has a little time to accomplish that goal before he retires.

Seeing that he's been the best individual player in the league for at least the last 2-3 years I don't get how he didn't live up to his hype.

Kobe 4 The Win
09-02-2010, 12:03 PM
NBC, Marv Albert and that f**king douchbag Bob Costas hyped Jordan like crazy. After they lost game 1 the entire intro to game 2 was about the Bulls and what a "cruel, fickle" game basketball is. Boo Hoo. F**k you Costas.

It's obvious that the Nike and Gatorade advertising machines contributed to the god-like status that Jordan has. 5 million comercials a day with little kids singing songs about him. Jeezus. The press was complicit because they flat out ignored all of his bad deeds or swept it under the rug.

That said, Jordan is one of the greatest players of all time. He lived up to the hype and won championships. He changed the game like Magic and Larry had changed it before him. I feel lucky to have been able to watch Magic, Bird, Jordan and Kobe in their prime. It's been a great time to be a basketball fan.

Da_Realist
09-02-2010, 12:06 PM
You mean the same media hype your hero got, sitting on the bench avg 7 points per game, when he first played Jordan???? Ala the next Michael Jordan

OUCH :oldlol:

joyner82
09-02-2010, 12:44 PM
wow 5 people neg repped me for this thread...good god

What exactly made Jordan the GOAT?

Greatest stats? Nope Wilt
Most Championships? Nope Russell
Most MVP's? Nope Kareem
Most complete all around game? Nope Oscar
Most MVP's+Championships? Nope Kareem & Russell are both higher

Kareem is the true GOAT

Desperado
09-02-2010, 12:48 PM

Most MVP's? Nope Kareem

Kareem is the true GOAT

http://airjudden2.tripod.com/jordan/index.htm

http://airjudden2.tripod.com/jordan/better.htm

2LeTTeRS
09-02-2010, 01:32 PM

Most MVP's? Nope Kareem

Kareem is the true GOAT

Why are you worry about rep - I thought you were leaving this board months ago, and where only here until your suspension at Real GM expired.

What happened with that?

Jacks3
09-02-2010, 02:04 PM
You are an idiot
You're a dumbass.

Jacks3
09-02-2010, 02:04 PM
So true. :oldlol:

Jacks3
09-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah it really is sad.

Could you imagine if MJ was diagnosed with cancer? He would be on ESPN all day like it was the end of the world. It would seem like there was a global tragedy or epidemic. After all Jordan walked on water, opened the eyes of the blind, raised a man from the dead and cured the sick. :lol
:roll:

Jacks3
09-02-2010, 02:06 PM
LMAO...your a complete moron, Jordan was hit in a negative light (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt0qLfSMC9w)in the media several times. Black leaders called him out for not taking a stand, his father killed because of his gambling, but what the **** would a 20 something year old dude know who was 4-6 years old at the time
lol @ the blatant lies. Jordan was constantly protected and loved by the media. You're a stupid piece of shit.

Jacks3
OUCH :oldlol:
lol @ this MJ ******ger.

DuMa
with 5 straight posts of coherent words of logic and supreme reasoning. it'll be difficult to argue against that

PowerGlove
09-02-2010, 02:08 PM
:facepalm

The game where Jordan scored half of his team's points in overtime? Come on, you're better than that.

Kellogs4toniee
09-02-2010, 02:24 PM

They over-rated his "Good guy" persona, that much I agree on. As for his skills, numbers, and most importantly his results on the court, ESPN did not over-rate him in those categories at all. All that was justified through Jordan's play considering how he met and exceeded pretty much all the hype. That alone is the reason why he is number one in my book, with Kareem a close second. No one met the hype and performed in clutch as well as Mr. Air Jordan.

Like people have noted, the same can't be said for the super stars of today. The labels of Jordan as potentially being the best player ever in the late 80's and early numbers were easily justified considering the run that Jordan eventually went into. For example, if Durant does not win a championship within the next five years, all the labels of "future of NBA" for him would be unjustifiable. No knock on Durant on all I love the guy. And don't even get me started on Lebron.

tpols
09-02-2010, 02:35 PM

The game where Jordan scored half of his team's points in overtime? Come on, you're better than that.
Kobe scored the most fourth quarter points out of anyone in the game in game 7 of last years finals when the lakers came from behind but no one talked about that. Just that he went 6-24. Also outrebounded everyone except pau.

Bring-Your-Js
09-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Kobe scored the most fourth quarter points out of anyone in the game in game 7 of last years finals when the lakers came from behind but no one talked about that. Just that he went 6-24. Also outrebounded everyone except pau.

Kobe Sucks. He has like, zero impact on the gamessssszzzz.

PowerGlove
09-02-2010, 02:43 PM

We were talking about Game 3's here, not sevens.

You guys are so quick to team up and defend kobe, know what you're talking about.

DaBigReality
09-02-2010, 02:46 PM
with 5 straight posts of coherent words of logic and supreme reasoning. it'll be difficult to argue against that

It's what I've noticed from most Kobe fans on this site. They usually go balls deep insane to the point where no argument can be made unless you literally drag yourself down to their level of trolling and then it's a back and forth of who can make themselves look more retarded. No one wins. We all lose.

Scott Baker
09-02-2010, 02:47 PM

Game 7?! Game 7?!

Jordan didn't need no stinking game 7.

Desperado
09-02-2010, 02:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK8sxngSWaU

tpols
09-02-2010, 02:50 PM

We were talking about Game 3's here, not sevens.

You guys are so quick to team up and defend kobe, know what you're talking about.
lol a finals game is a finals game. Nice excuse:applause:

Hammertime
09-02-2010, 02:50 PM
The man wins 6 championships in 6 full seasons he played between '91 and '98 and people are saying the media overrated him. :oldlol:

What more could he have done exactly?

Jacks3
09-02-2010, 02:51 PM
:oldlol: @ the irony. Dumass.

Jacks3
09-02-2010, 02:52 PM
It's what I've noticed from most Kobe fans on this site. They usually go balls deep insane to the point where no argument can be made unless you literally drag yourself down to their level of trolling and then it's a back and forth of who can make themselves look more retarded. No one wins. We all lose.
Damn another Jordan nut-hugger. :facepalm

Desperado
09-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Game 7?! Game 7?!

Jordan didn't need no stinking game 7.

Did Jordan ever grab 15 rebounds in a game 7?

Nope.

The last time Jordan was in a game 7 he had 28 points on 36 FG%

Scott Baker
09-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Did Jordan ever grab 15 rebounds in a game 7?

Nope.

The last time Jordan was in a game he had 28 points on 36 FG%

Kind of hard to get 15 rebounds in a game seven when he never had to play in one.

I don't even know what 'last time Jordan was in a game' even means. What game? What year? What team? I don't even know what you're trying to argue.

PowerGlove
09-02-2010, 02:59 PM
lol a finals game is a finals game. Nice excuse:applause:

Are you serious?

It's funny, I guarantee if Kobe had the same game 3 in an NBA Finals that Jordan did in '91, he'd be getting slammed for it. 39%? 29 points on 28 shots? His OT performance would be merely regarded by some of you as "making up for chucking that almost cost his team the game".

and I responded to him. You changing the parameters makes you look stupid.

Jacks3
09-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Hysterical that one of MJ's worst games from any of the first three-peat's Finals is still better than Kobe's CAREER FINALS AVERAGES, huh? :oldlol:

29 pts/9 reb/9 ast/4 stl/2 blk/39% FG > 27 pts/6 reb/5 ast/41% FG or whatever it is.
What's funny is that Kobe has at least seen 4 team defenses in the Finals better than MJ ever saw. :oldlol:

97 bulls
09-02-2010, 03:03 PM
I've been noticing that the new thing for the Kobe trolls is to say that Jordan's greatness is the creation of hype by ESPN and Nike. They're going full force with it. Forget his accomplishments, it's really all because of Nike.

Anyway, that's how the games started back then, with a dramatic intro. It's still similar these days.
I know, I hear this a lot. But people must realize that espn didn't make jordan. Jordan made espn. They were a fledgeling sports news company and they rode the jordan train to no end. And jordan never let them down. Just think, how popular was nike, gatorade, espn, wheaties etc before they hitched their name to jordan. He made all those companies what they are today. They didn't make him.

And I've said this before and ill say it again, jordan never disappointed his fans. You can't say that about any other top 10 player. Except maybe russel. But I wasn't born during that era. So any hype he got was very well deserved.

Desperado
09-02-2010, 03:04 PM
The man wins 6 championships in 6 full seasons he played between '91 and '98 and people are saying the media overrated him. :oldlol:

What more could he have done exactly?

Yes, he did win 6 championships but he was still overrated by the media beyond belief.

Don't get me wrong, I respect Jordan's skills and achievements and I consider him as one of the greatest (but NOT the greatest). He was an OVER HYPED, pampered marketing tool used by David stern and corporate America.

http://www.providencephoenix.com/archive/features/99/01/21/MJ.html

Jacks3
09-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Yes, he did win 6 championships but he was still overrated by the media beyond belief.

Don't get me wrong, I respect Jordan's skills and achievements and I consider him as one of the greatest (but NOT the greatest). He was an OVER HYPED, pampered marketing tool used by David stern and corporate America.

Desperado
09-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Kind of hard to get 15 rebounds in a game seven when he never had to play in one.

I don't even know what 'last time Jordan was in a game' even means. What game? What year? What team? I don't even know what you're trying to argue.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199805310CHI.html

PowerGlove
09-02-2010, 03:07 PM

because that's a Finals game.

G.O.A.T
09-02-2010, 03:15 PM

Great point, only 28 points and a near triple double in a game seven win en route to his 6th title in six and a half active seasons.

DaBigReality
09-02-2010, 03:31 PM

He literally changed the entire game...around the world. That fact is undeniable. Some might argue for the worst as it's brought on way too many iso heavy imitators and the team aspect of the game has dwindled in the past generation, but that still doesn't change the fact that it was his on-court heroics and play that pushed him to be a media darling and a hero to a generation of guys like Kobe - not the other way as you're very incorrectly stating.

Poochymama
09-02-2010, 04:43 PM
:oldlol: @ the irony. Dumass.

oh the irony "dumbass":roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Jacks3
09-02-2010, 04:54 PM
oh the irony "dumbass":roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
lol @ this clown of a Jordan dick-sucker. :oldlol:

Doranku
09-02-2010, 04:56 PM

I never said he played a bad game. Jordan was spectacular in that overtime and was the only reason that the Bulls went up 2-1 as opposed to being down 2-1. I'm just saying that a lot of people here would find some way to nitpick this game if it were Kobe's performance, much like they discredit his 15 rebounds/10 points in the 4th of game 7 and instead focus solely on his FG%.

Birmingham1955
09-02-2010, 05:16 PM
sometimes i dream, that he is me.like mike it is fun to be like mike.

Simple Jack
09-02-2010, 07:12 PM

And Kobe with 5 rings, possibly a 6th (2 current FMVP's), being mentioned alongside Jordan isn't being overhyped? You're a hypocrite.

Replay32
09-02-2010, 11:22 PM
bulls mainly won that year cause the best players on the lakers were injured. if worthy, and even bryon scott wa healthy, jordan woulda had hella fits. magic was still in his prime even though he was older in 91. his teammates were freaking terry teagle, and tony campbell. maybe magic shoulda passed the ball to divac alot more. magic, divac, and sam perkins were like the best players on that lakers team and shit after worthy and scott got hurt.

I agree with this. Worthy not being 100% was a huge blow to the lakers. I don't know if the lakers would of won the series, but with a healthy Worthy the lakers wouldn't of got swept at home. And pippen would of had his hands full more on defense.

But Byron Scott was just horrible in this series before he got hurt in game 4. MJ made him look like a wet nose college freshman. I mean he couldn't make a shot (with paxson on him for crying out loud), let alone contain Jordan. Scott was horrible in this series. Magic was exhausted in this series cuz of worthy's injury and scotts poor play. Scott had played well in the playoffs before the finals too.

But this doesn't discredit MJ and the bulls performance. MJ, pip, and those guys were great. I just wish both teams were healthy.

BTW: MJ exceeded his hype. That guy was really good. :oldlol:

raptorfan_dr07
09-03-2010, 12:42 AM
:oldlol: You f*ckers(jacks3, Desperado) want to talk about overhyped? This is OVERHYPED:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee166/trey144/kobe-bryant-traded-5-31-07.jpg

The man's ENITRE F*CKNG CAREER is a complete fabrication. Shaq MADE him, without Shaq he would be a slightly more glorified Jerry Stackhouse. Then after Shaq left, the NBA's new rule changes that benefitted perimeter scorers made his averages shoot through the roof. Stick Kobe in the 90's when defenses were a lot tougher and physical contact was actually allowed without a whistle being blown every 10 seconds, and he sucks. The proof is in the pudding. We've seen how Kobe responds to physical defenses. He gets completely shut down. Look at the 04 Finals, the 08 Finals, and the 10 Finals. Look at the Christmas Day game against Cleveland. Good, physical defenses shut Kobe down. We hear all the time that Kobe would adjust to playing the 90's, when the evidence suggest otherwise. Each time he faces a physical defense, he doesn't learn and attack differently, he still chucks away and costs his team games. His all defensive 1st team selections the past several years are going to have people in the future thinking Kobe was some kind of defensive specialist, when we know that is FAR from the case. THAT is being overrated.

-Overrated is when you're "called" the best player in the game and best closer in the NBA, yet you choke away a 3-1 lead in the first round and quit on your team in Game 7.

-Overrated is when a rookie(Dwyane Wade) leads a team(Odom, Butler, Grant) to the second round of the playoffs, and you miss the playoffs altogether with that same team.

-Overrated is when when your team goes into the Finals as the heavy favorites(04 and 08), and you end up losing mostly due to your terrible play.

-Overrated is when you are "supposedly" the best player in the NBA and the winner of the MVP award, and you get outplayed by an inferior player in the Finals(Paul Pierce), allowing the greatest comeback in Finals history to occur on YOUR HOME FLOOR, and then getting smashed in the closeout Game 6 in a Finals record 39 point loss.

-Overrated is playing like absolute trash, especially in the 4th quarters of the Finals(2010), yet having your team bail you out and STILL win the championship.

-Overrated is NEVER having at LEAST ONE season shooting 50% from the field, yet people still mention you as an all time great. :rolleyes:

-Overrated is people acting like you have led your team to 5 championships, when you only were the key cog in 2 of them.

-Overrated is being talked about alongside greats like Bill Russell, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Shaquille O'Neal, Wilt Chamberlain, Tim Duncan, Hakeem Olajuwon, yet NEVER having the overall impact on the basketball court that they did

-Overrated is being mentioned in the same breath as Michael Jordan since you first came into the NBA in 1996, yet being an INCREDIBLY INFERIOR player in EVERY ASPECT of the game.

THAT, is overrated. Overrated is being called the best player in the NBA, when it is PAINFULLY OBVIOUS that Lebron James and Dwyane Wade have surpassed you as an individual player. :rolleyes:

RazorBaLade
09-03-2010, 12:49 AM
raptorfan wakes up after nightmares of the 81 pt game

RazorBaLade
09-03-2010, 12:51 AM
hey since u blamed kobe there for all the lakers team failures why are u not lol'ing at wade and lebron the last 3 yrs?

chazzy
09-03-2010, 12:54 AM
:oldlol: You f*ckers(jacks3, Desperado) want to talk about overhyped? This is OVERHYPED:

The man's ENITRE F*CKNG CAREER is a complete fabrication. Shaq MADE him, without Shaq he would be a slightly more glorified Jerry Stackhouse. Then after Shaq left, the NBA's new rule changes that benefitted perimeter scorers made his averages shoot through the roof. Stick Kobe in the 90's when defenses were a lot tougher and physical contact was actually allowed without a whistle being blown every 10 seconds, and he sucks. The proof is in the pudding. We've seen how Kobe responds to physical defenses. He gets completely shut down. Look at the 04 Finals, the 08 Finals, and the 10 Finals. Look at the Christmas Day game against Cleveland. Good, physical defenses shut Kobe down. We hear all the time that Kobe would adjust to playing the 90's, when the evidence suggest otherwise. Each time he faces a physical defense, he doesn't learn and attack differently, he still chucks away and costs his team games. His all defensive 1st team selections the past several years are going to have people in the future thinking Kobe was some kind of defensive specialist, when we know that is FAR from the case. THAT is being overrated.

-Overrated is when you're "called" the best player in the game and best closer in the NBA, yet you choke away a 3-1 lead in the first round and quit on your team in Game 7.

-Overrated is when a rookie(Dwyane Wade) leads a team(Odom, Butler, Grant) to the second round of the playoffs, and you miss the playoffs altogether with that same team.

-Overrated is when when your team goes into the Finals as the heavy favorites(04 and 08), and you end up losing mostly due to your terrible play.

-Overrated is when you are "supposedly" the best player in the NBA and the winner of the MVP award, and you get outplayed by an inferior player in the Finals(Paul Pierce), allowing the greatest comeback in Finals history to occur on YOUR HOME FLOOR, and then getting smashed in the closeout Game 6 in a Finals record 39 point loss.

-Overrated is playing like absolute trash, especially in the 4th quarters of the Finals(2010), yet having your team bail you out and STILL win the championship.

-Overrated is NEVER having at LEAST ONE season shooting 50% from the field, yet people still mention you as an all time great. :rolleyes:

-Overrated is people acting like you have led your team to 5 championships, when you only were the key cog in 2 of them.

-Overrated is being talked about alongside greats like Bill Russell, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Shaquille O'Neal, Wilt Chamberlain, Tim Duncan, Hakeem Olajuwon, yet NEVER having the overall impact on the basketball court that they did

-Overrated is being mentioned in the same breath as Michael Jordan since you first came into the NBA in 1996, yet being an INCREDIBLY INFERIOR player in EVERY ASPECT of the game.

THAT, is overrated. Overrated is being called the best player in the NBA, when it is PAINFULLY OBVIOUS that Lebron James and Dwyane Wade have surpassed you as an individual player. :rolleyes:

It's good to vent every now and then. I guess since you don't post as often, you deliver Kobe hate in bulk now? :oldlol:

Ruh-Roh
09-03-2010, 01:05 AM

Hoooooly shit. :oldlol: I bet that felt really good to hit Submit Reply to...

tpols
09-03-2010, 01:17 AM

LOL like when he played great year in and year out against the spurs, the rockets and garnett-led twvoles when they were top five Ds in the league, and the early 00 kings. You're confusing great defenses with pysical defenses. Its not just that they're physical but they're also GREAT defensive teams with great defensive coaches. In fact, kobe is mostly a midrange jumpshooter kind of guy. The physical D minus the zone probably benefits kobe actually as he would be able to work his iso game to perfection.

And lol at the dwade argument. Who did the heat beat? The baron davis led hornets.:facepalm

wow this post is completely ****ing retarded.

Hammertime
09-03-2010, 01:33 AM

Again, I ask, what more do you want? 6 championships in 6 full seasons. Led the league in scoring all those years. Finished 1st, 1st, 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 1st in MVP voting those years. Hell, could've won the MVP trophy the other two years and few people would've complained.

How is it possible to overrate a player like that? How is it possible to "over-hype" him. If this was (the old) SAT, what he did would've been the equivalent of a 1600 score. How could he have done any more that he did between '91 and '98. That's basically the question here.

What would you MJ haters ask of him to have done during those years so you wouldn't consider him overrated? What more should he have done?

air
09-03-2010, 02:11 AM
jordan (http://www.dragonkicks.com) is always a legendary hero in the basketball history as well as the entire world

SinJackal
09-03-2010, 02:20 AM

At least most of the negs you'll get for that post will only be worth -1 point. :P

Jacks3
09-03-2010, 02:22 AM

The man's ENITRE F*CKNG CAREER is a complete fabrication. Shaq MADE him, without Shaq he would be a slightly more glorified Jerry Stackhouse.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Jacks3
09-03-2010, 02:24 AM
lol @ all the rep raptorfan is going to get from the Kobe haters. This forum is infested with them. :oldlol:

Ruh-Roh
09-03-2010, 02:27 AM
lol @ all the rep raptorfan is going to get from the Kobe stans. This forum is infested with them. :oldlol:

fixed:oldlol:

Jacks3
09-03-2010, 02:35 AM
http://swallowthesky.org/ij/giveup.gif

Courtside View
09-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Again, I ask, what more do you want? 6 championships in 6 full seasons. Led the league in scoring all those years. Finished 1st, 1st, 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 1st in MVP voting those years. Hell, could've won the MVP trophy the other two years and few people would've complained.

How is it possible to overrate a player like that? How is it possible to "over-hype" him. If this was (the old) SAT, what he did would've been the equivalent of a 1600 score. How could he have done any more that he did between '91 and '98. That's basically the question here.

What would you MJ haters ask of him to have done during those years so you wouldn't consider him overrated? What more should he have done?

Don't you understand that these Kobe wackos don't CARE about any of that? They wouldn't care if Jordan had 10 titles. They wouldn't care if he got the all time scoring record, along with everything else. They only exist to bash him because he's a threat to their Lord and Savior Kobe Bryant. The End. I appreciate that you want to talk reason with them but trolls like Desperado, Jackass, etc. aren't about reason. They have an anti Jordan, pro Kobe agenda. They probably don't even believe most of what they say, they just do it to get attention, and irritate people. Probably because they lead such empty lives and Kobe is the only thing they have to cling onto. I'd feel sorry for them, if they weren't such obnoxious clowns.

The funny thing is insisting Jordan was overhyped, despite all he accomplished, but then not turning that lens around to Bryant who was hyped as a rookie sitting on the bench all the way up to the present despite never having seasons/playoff runs as good as Jordan, despite never being as dominant, despite winning 3 of his titles as a sidekick. If Jordan was overhyped, what the hell would Kobe be? But of course, they'll never answer that in any way that makes sense. Just more bullshyt. It's really a shame the moderators have decided to let the clowns take over.

PowerGlove
09-03-2010, 10:02 AM
It's good to vent every now and then. I guess since you don't post as often, you deliver Kobe hate in bulk now? :oldlol:

He did have some solid points though. A lot of hate, but at least it wasn't griffnmoney nonsense.

Bring-Your-Js
09-03-2010, 11:30 AM
He did have some solid points though. A lot of hate, but at least it wasn't griffnmoney nonsense.

Actually.... Well yeah, he did make points. Those Blemishes are like cigarette burns on your plush leather seat (Kobe's career). Just Ugly.

The other Jerry Stackhouse bit was hilarious though.

chazzy
09-03-2010, 12:52 PM

I know, but this guy lives for Kobe hate opportunities. I can't help but just laugh at his long winded posts, he's so passionate about this stuff :oldlol:

Desperado
09-03-2010, 01:11 PM
I know, but this guy lives for Kobe hate opportunities. I can't help but just laugh at his long winded posts, he's so passionate about this stuff :oldlol:

I know right. :oldlol:

He really takes the stuff to heart. I hate on certain players sometimes, but its all in good fun. Honestly basketball is only entertainment, not life.

Also I don't even bother responding to him anymore because he just vents and posts his long hate filled wall of text but when you respond to it he dosen't even read it or respond back.

Disaprine
09-03-2010, 01:34 PM
:cry: :cry: I hate Kobe! :cry: :cry:
:roll:

haterofhaters
09-03-2010, 01:41 PM
lol, why does every Jordan thread turn into a Kobe thread?

Leviathon1121
09-03-2010, 01:48 PM
lol, why does every Jordan thread turn into a Kobe thread?

With Griffmoney, Desperado, Thelogo, and Jacks3 ruining any thread that mentions anything Jordan, do you really need to ask?

Glide2keva
09-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Step 1: put trolls on ignore

Step 2: everyone else stop quoting them.