PDA

View Full Version : Are you a one foot or two foot jumper?

tgan3
09-07-2010, 03:30 AM
I'm a one foot jumper. I can never seem to get off high on two foot for some reason.

But I think two foot jumpers are better (can jump in traffic or standstill position)

beermonsteroo
09-07-2010, 03:34 AM
I'm a one foot jumper. I can never seem to get off high on two foot for some reason.

But I think two foot jumpers are better (can jump in traffic or standstill position)

I am a one foot jumper too. I can jump a lot higher on one foot.
Interestingly i can also jump higher with my "weaker" leg then with my "stronger" one. For example when playing soccer my right leg/foot is a lot better. I can barely play with my leftfoot.However,in terms of jumping, it's the other way round. It is much easier for me to jump wit left then right.

thejumpa
09-07-2010, 03:52 AM
If you are right handed, you will jump off your left foot but kick with your right. Pretty sure that's how it works.

I started out a one footed jumper and could barely touch the rim off two. Now that I'm older and have encountered jumpers knee a few times, I jump off two and hardly ever jump off one. Maybefor layups but thats it. Jumping off one doesn't even seem natural anymore.

tgan3
09-07-2010, 03:58 AM
If you are right handed, you will jump off your left foot but kick with your right. Pretty sure that's how it works.

I started out a one footed jumper and could barely touch the rim off two. Now that I'm older and have encountered jumpers knee a few times, I jump off two and hardly ever jump off one. Maybefor layups but thats it. Jumping off one doesn't even seem natural anymore.

What? Jumping off one imo is the most natural thing. Anyways, I had an acl tear on my right leg that never felt right again. Thus, maybe why I always jump one foot if given the choice.

Also I have small hands, and to get off HIGH on two foot, you really have to swing both hands backwards and then explode. If you have small hands, such an action would probably make you lose control of the ball.

thejumpa
09-07-2010, 04:15 AM
What? Jumping off one imo is the most natural thing. Anyways, I had an acl tear on my right leg that never felt right again. Thus, maybe why I always jump one foot if given the choice.

Also I have small hands, and to get off HIGH on two foot, you really have to swing both hands backwards and then explode. If you have small hands, such an action would probably make you lose control of the ball.

When I first discovered my athleticism lol, I thought jumping off one was super natural and off two was really really hard. After I practiced jumping off two for like 6 months, I never looked back. I have way more body control off two and get higher. I developed jumpers knee from years of jumping off one so that's another reason. Idk......just my preference.

SinJackal
09-07-2010, 04:20 AM
Both for me. Using both legs should helps get you more lift, but using one is better in some cases when you're going around someone.

tgan3
09-07-2010, 04:28 AM
When I first discovered my athleticism lol, I thought jumping off one was super natural and off two was really really hard. After I practiced jumping off two for like 6 months, I never looked back. I have way more body control off two and get higher. I developed jumpers knee from years of jumping off one so that's another reason. Idk......just my preference.

How big are your hands though? Try jumping off one and two foot, for two foot, you would see that swinging your arms to the back is critical but not for one foot. The swinging part causes me to lose some air as I can't really control the ball with small hands.

drainthe3
09-07-2010, 04:31 AM
used to be 1 foot

but after training in the gym and all i found 2 foot more explosive

che guevara
09-07-2010, 04:36 AM
I can jumper higher off of two feet, but I still jump off of one a lot. Off two I can touch the rim but I can't off of one.

thejumpa
09-07-2010, 04:43 AM
How big are your hands though? Try jumping off one and two foot, for two foot, you would see that swinging your arms to the back is critical but not for one foot. The swinging part causes me to lose some air as I can't really control the ball with small hands.

My hands are big enough to grip a ball and firmly control one with 2. Exactly how big are yours? I remember Steve Francis had baby hands and still had good control. For the average player,I could see how that could be an izsue

tgan3
09-07-2010, 04:50 AM
My hands are big enough to grip a ball and firmly control one with 2. Exactly how big are yours? I remember Steve Francis had baby hands and still had good control. For the average player,I could see how that could be an izsue

Very very small. There are girl's hands that are bigger then mine. I went to measure with a ruler just now, its 7 1/4inches from edge of forearm to the end of the middle finger.

SinJackal
09-07-2010, 05:11 AM
Very very small. There are girl's hands that are bigger then mine. I went to measure with a ruler just now, its 7 1/4inches from edge of forearm to the end of the middle finger.

Do you hate Burger King whoppers since they make your hands look even smaller?

j/k. that's some commercial.

m y t i n
09-07-2010, 07:47 AM
I grab rebounds by jumping off two feet but with everything else, I jump off one foot.

joyner82
09-07-2010, 08:35 AM
I'm a set shooter from every area on the court, I don't buy into the whole jumpshot thing. I just arc my shot if I have someone closely guarding me.

Manute for Ever!
09-07-2010, 09:01 AM
I was laways a two-foot jumper, but that is generally the case when you play PF/C.

whatever666
09-07-2010, 09:19 AM
There is no such thing as a two foot or one foot jumper.... well not technically... Some people simply jump higher of one foot and some other of two feet instead or can get up the same both ways, but any human can jump both ways....

I just hate that expression, sounds like a cripple :lol

I am more like Julius Erving, Lebron James, James White.... they jump high both ways, but with one leg they can take of like from a trampoline...

50inchvertical
09-07-2010, 01:25 PM
I jump off either. There are dunks I used to do better off 1 than 2 and vice versa, but as far as which I go to in a game situation it all depends on the timing, angle, where the defender is at, etc. You should be adept at both otherwise it'll greatly limit you.

I'm a fat bastard now, I don't dunk much either way anymore.

magnax1
09-07-2010, 01:31 PM
In Highschool my running vert measured 26 inches, so I'm not a jumper in any way. I'm much better jumping off one foot though..

PowerGlove
09-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Two foot.

One foot=no vertical whatsoever. I dont know but last month I took off for a layup and got no lift.:facepalm

I felt like T-mac after he missed that dunk badly.

DC Zephyrs
09-07-2010, 01:42 PM
I get up much higher off of one foot.

Svendiggity
09-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Depends on the situation. Lefty layups I jump off my right foot. Righty layups I jump off my left foot. When I need to spin in the air or out hang a big, I jump off two feet.

thejumpa
09-07-2010, 03:46 PM

Damn 7 1/4 inches? That is pretty small. I say practice craddling or holding the ball closer to you for more control. I can honestly say I would not be shit without big hands. I'm not shit anyway, but I need to grip the ball in order to really be effective. Slipping is a no no.

whatever666
09-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Two foot.

One foot=no vertical whatsoever. I dont know but last month I took off for a layup and got no lift.:facepalm

I felt like T-mac after he missed that dunk badly.

Thats the "Dominique-Syndrom" or "Dwight-Howard-Syndrom" :lol

They could jump like to the moon even from standstill if its two feet... but with the one leg running takeof its like they lost 20" inches on the vert.

whatever666
09-07-2010, 05:24 PM
The only guy i ever saw that could jump equally super high from both two legs/one leg was Michael Jordan.

KGMN
09-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Do you mean when dunking/lay-ups? If so, one foot, but sometimes two if the rim's shorter.

If you mean shooting, I jump with two feet..

thejumpa
09-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Of course he means dunking/lay-ups. No one shoots off of one foot:facepalm

KGMN
09-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Of course he means dunking/lay-ups. No one shoots off of one foot:facepalm

I got really confused. I was like, well of course I shoot off two feet, I rarely see anyone shoot off one foot. Do so many people actually shoot of one foot? Really?

:facepalm

New York Knicks
09-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Two-foot. It's really hard for me to jump off one foot. I have no idea how NBA players get so much lift jumping off of one foot.

Rake2204
09-08-2010, 10:55 AM
I've gone back and forth over the years. At the start of high school I was a strictly one foot dunker. . .until I discovered two foot dunking. I loved how the two foot leap gave me a better chance of hanging on the rim so before long, I became a strictly two-foot dunker and it was disastrous for my game.

It turned out the only time I could dunk in a game off two feet was on an open breakaway. And by the time an opportunity arose, a defender would catch up and take me out, or I'd panic and slip while trying to set both of my feet at full speed.

As such, I decided to get a little versatile after high school and redevelop my one leg dunking while hanging on to the two-foot stuff. Now, dunks come in games at a lot more frequent rate, and I'd recommend the one-foot leaping to all players. It's so much easier to take off and flush while running full speed instead of having to set both feet and gather.

I'm sure for the high flyers here it probably won't make too much of a difference, but as a mediocre riser, I need all the help and advantages I can get, so one foot leaping is where it's at for in-game dunking.

NY-Knicks
09-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Do you hate Burger King whoppers since they make your hands look even smaller?

j/k. that's some commercial.
:roll:

NY-Knicks
09-08-2010, 11:01 AM
I can jump higher using one foot but the difference is very small. About a year ago I was horrible jumping with two feet but I improved a lot there so it's nearly equal.

WRECK!A!NIZE
09-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Two footed jumper as I was a power Player.Helped me absorb contact and carry arms with my momentum.Just move if i'm in the air already.

bdreason
09-08-2010, 07:38 PM
I'm a one foot jumper in Basketball, but I've been playing lots of Beach V-Ball lately, so I'm really working on my two foot jump.