PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Old-Timers game at the All-Star Weekend

Hammertime
09-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Back when they decided to turn the ASG into a weekend-long extravaganza, and add Saturday night festivities, there was a question of what exactly to include. This was 1984, and the obvious choice was to take a chapter out of ABA's book and have a dunk contest, but what else? One event would not make for a whole evening's worth of time. The 3-point shootout would not be added until the next year, and the companion to the first dunk contest was an old-timers game. The NBA brought in Oscar, Tommy Heinsohn, Earl the Pearl, Pistol Pete, and there was even a memorable appearance by late Johnny Kerr, who looks like your grampa in the video below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legends_Classic

The game was played in two 15-minute halves, and the tradition would continue in the years past. The NBA however decided to end the game in 1993, and introduce the rookie challenge in 1994. As far as I'm concerned, I'd much rather see old players hoop it up than rookies, but that's just me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuEXo7gNk6k

Psileas
09-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Ι'd like to see plays from more games like this.

Pistol looked good, btw. Expected, of course, since he was 36 (1 year younger than Kareem, who was playing at the real game). As seen at 2:40 in the following, he still had quickness in his feet (Monroe can't do anything better than foul him). Of course, the quickness of his hands was never in question, as we remember his basketball tutorials. Anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Q3RC5Gywc

G.O.A.T.
09-08-2010, 07:34 PM
hahahah Heinsohn

DuMa
09-08-2010, 09:16 PM
you wanna see oldies hoop it up? thats what we have the shooting stars for. bill laimbeer in shorts? **** no.

whatever666
09-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Would love to see that back, remove the shootings stars or skills challenge or whatever.... bring that Legends game back!!

Would be hilarious but yet awesome to see what Magic, Jordan, Bird, Malone, Barkley, Hakeem and so on got left.

Ruh-Roh
09-08-2010, 09:26 PM
lmao at Hondo dribbling almost horizontally he was so off balance :roll:

That was priceless, thanks for sharing OP!:applause:

andgar923
09-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Back when they decided to turn the ASG into a weekend-long extravaganza, and add Saturday night festivities, there was a question of what exactly to include. This was 1984, and the obvious choice was to take a chapter out of ABA's book and have a dunk contest, but what else? One event would not make for a whole evening's worth of time. The 3-point shootout would not be added until the next year, and the companion to the first dunk contest was an old-timers game. The NBA brought in Oscar, Tommy Heinsohn, Earl the Pearl, Pistol Pete, and there was even a memorable appearance by late Johnny Kerr, who looks like your grampa in the video below.

The game was played in two 15-minute halves, and the tradition would continue in the years past. The NBA however decided to end the game in 1993, and introduce the rookie challenge in 1994. As far as I'm concerned, I'd much rather see old players hoop it up than rookies, but that's just me.

YOu're on your own here dude...... no way in hell would I like to see some old outta shape chubby farts try to play.

I'm okay with the Rookie game, let the youngsters get some shine, its a good motivational and learning experience.

Hammertime
09-09-2010, 12:27 AM
My favourite bit is right at the start, when Red Kerr bounces a pass between his own legs to Paul Westphal. So much for players from the 50s not having any moves with flair.

jbryan1984
09-09-2010, 06:35 AM
I'd like to see it back. I mean, obviously you would not want guys in their 50's out there but guys who have been retired 1-10 years, nothing wrong with it.

beermonsteroo
09-09-2010, 06:45 AM

It's a sahme that this game doesn't exist anymore.Come on it would be nuts to see the legends of the 80es and 90es on the hardwood again.

beermonsteroo
09-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Would love to see that back, remove the shootings stars or skills challenge or whatever.... bring that Legends game back!!

Would be hilarious but yet awesome to see what Magic, Jordan, Bird, Malone, Barkley, Hakeem and so on got left.

:bowdown: :bowdown:

beermonsteroo
09-09-2010, 06:49 AM
YOu're on your own here dude...... no way in hell would I like to see some old outta shape chubby farts try to play.

I'm okay with the Rookie game, let the youngsters get some shine, its a good motivational and learning experience.

I bet 80 percent would like to see such a game. He is certainly not alone.

beermonsteroo
09-09-2010, 06:51 AM
I'd like to see it back. I mean, obviously you would not want guys in their 50's out there but guys who have been retired 1-10 years, nothing wrong with it.

Why not guys in their 50es? I think it would be of the hook and so much fun.

OldSchoolBBall
09-09-2010, 06:53 AM
Rick Barry in the oxygen mask gets me every time. :oldlol:

Scott Baker
09-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Damn I thought Connie Hawkins was going to mash it at 1:07 :eek:

DCL
09-10-2010, 06:48 AM
maybe if you grew up with them you would had cared. but they lost so much ability already and looked so beyond their playing years, it just almost makes you want to watch a wnba game instead. just almost...

jstern
09-07-2013, 12:59 AM
maybe if you grew up with them you would had cared. but they lost so much ability already and looked so beyond their playing years, it just almost makes you want to watch a wnba game instead. just almost...
I find it so interesting, especially not being familiar with many of the players. I like to see what fundamental skills they had, even with the diminished physical abilities. Also wonder if they would beat the average Joes on the street. Which I think they would. I also like to see these players playing in more modern video. In a sense that makes them more real.

I would find it more interesting to watch than an average regular season game that I've seen hundreds of times. This is more unique.

Edit: I bumped this thread completely by mistake, thinking it was another thread started today which shows a gif from this game. I googled the game to see if I could find a downloadable version, and found this thread, left it open, forgot about it, then commented thinking it was the other one.

Droid101
09-07-2013, 02:31 AM
There are a lot of recently retired guys that people would want to see. Iverson, McGrady, Arenas, etc. This would be better than the stupid thing they do with the WNBA.

played0ut
06-16-2014, 04:38 PM
i love to see this happen again. The old PG's would probably do the best.

CavaliersFTW
06-16-2014, 04:41 PM
I also made highlights of this game, much more extensive, I also listed the ages of the players:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsz3wLZfwSo

icemanfan
06-16-2014, 04:48 PM
Was always a huge fan of the old timers games.

Psileas
06-16-2014, 05:17 PM
There have been more classics like this, not sure why more of them haven't surfaced yet.

JellyBean
06-16-2014, 05:53 PM
I remember those old timer games. I am glad that they stop the old timers game. That was some funny and scary moments. Johnny Kerr....omg that was funny.