PDA

View Full Version : Help regarding whether to train my 1 or 2-legged jumping.

Permodius
09-09-2010, 09:51 PM
I have heard that for each jumping technique, there are completely different training routines, and training 1 technique is best for optimal gains. I am a 1-legged jumper, but suck jumping off of 2-legs, and have done no kind of weight training before. Should I stick to improving my 1-legged jump, or should I switch over to the 2-legged jump. I heard that I should switch over to being a better 2-legged jumper. The reasons were because rebounds are caught primarily jumping off of 2 legs, a 2-legged jumper is just more stable in the air and so has less risk of injury, and it will also help me on blocks too. So should I stick with being a 1-legged jumper, or should I switch and do 2-legged training?

Now comes my second question. Like I stated before, I have never done any kind of weight training or vertical training. My running vertical is 30"(I can dunk it off a 1-legged takeoff). Since my standing reach is 8'2" and I can grab the rim off of vert(I can get all fingers over the rim, my longest finger being longer than 3 inches but I will round it down), then I'd say my standing vert is 25". How long will it take me to be able to dunk off of 2 legs(Need about 4 more inches since my running 2-legged takeoff will get me an inch higher)? And what workouts should I do? I have the vertical jump bible but their is just so much in it that I have no idea where to go first, so you can reference me to a good part if you want.

carpevicis
09-09-2010, 10:07 PM
I have heard that for each jumping technique, there are completely different training routines, and training 1 technique is best for optimal gains. I am a 1-legged jumper, but suck jumping off of 2-legs, and have done no kind of weight training before. Should I stick to improving my 1-legged jump, or should I switch over to the 2-legged jump. I heard that I should switch over to being a better 2-legged jumper. The reasons were because rebounds are caught primarily jumping off of 2 legs, a 2-legged jumper is just more stable in the air and so has less risk of injury, and it will also help me on blocks too. So should I stick with being a 1-legged jumper, or should I switch and do 2-legged training?

Now comes my second question. Like I stated before, I have never done any kind of weight training or vertical training. My running vertical is 30"(I can dunk it off a 1-legged takeoff). Since my standing reach is 8'2" and I can grab the rim off of vert(I can get all fingers over the rim, my longest finger being longer than 3 inches but I will round it down), then I'd say my standing vert is 25". How long will it take me to be able to dunk off of 2 legs(Need about 4 more inches since my running 2-legged takeoff will get me an inch higher)? And what workouts should I do? I have the vertical jump bible but their is just so much in it that I have no idea where to go first, so you can reference me to a good part if you want.

There's some great info in the "by next year I'll be dunking" thread, so you should definitely scan some of those pages. If you just want to improve vertical and basketball skills aren't as important, then check out Vertical Mastery. It's a program that's customized to you and I found it really good.

Personally I'd try and improve on your weakness, which would be the 2-legged jump. It's true 2 legged jumpers are more stable and it's more useful for basketball, since the 1 leg is mainly used in transition. The 2 legged jump also allows you to make a second decision if you don't want to commit to jumping, whereas the 1 legged jump makes it clear you're going to take off.

No one can tell you how quick you'll make gains. It's up to you (and genetics) to get the right nutrition and sleep as well as putting in the work. If you don't want to use a vertical program and prefer weight room work, I can give you some info on that as well.

Swaggin916
09-09-2010, 11:14 PM
the reason you aren't a 2 foot jumper is because you have never lifted weights. Rarely are people natural 2 foot jumpers... you develop a better 2 foot jump when you lift weights because most of the main weight lifting exercises for legs are 2 leg exercises, and 1 leg exercises help you 1 as well as 2 foot jump... so either way you are working your 2 foot jump. You can also develop a decent 2 foot jump by constantly jumping off 2 feet, but 2 foot jumps are more strength based (which is why lifting weights really helps it because weights increase strength) where as 1 leg jumps are more reactive and momentum based.

Listen, if you truly want to improve your vert, you need to start lifting weights. You could improve it by simply doing plyos (by either a program, or just jumping all the time max effort playing bball, volleyball, etc.), but if you combine that with lifting, your results will double... at least. Start by doing some light deadlifts and squats... Honestly I would do the VJB intermediate reactive program if I were you... but I would take it easy on the weights for the first month and work my up to where I feel comfortable putting on the heavier weight you will need to increase your vert. Moderate volume, high weight, and low reps are how you weight train to increase vertical. Doing phases 1 and 2... so that's 8 weeks, take a month off, and then finish off phases 3 and 4. You need to give yourself breaks from such intense training... the body just might not be able to take it, so breaks are necessary. God luck if you decide to try it.

Slimdunkin
03-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Im naturally a two foot jumper and am just now starting to lift for yhe first time ever. Im 6'0 150 and 34 running vert btw. But i think 2 is better because you can easily explode different directions to get defenders, plus it helps for in game dunks because you dont nees the run up of a fast break, just a clear lane with room for like two step and take off

bobbyflay
03-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Well, I personally used Vertical Jump Bible for two months. The first month, I did training for one legged jumping. I gained 3 inches in 2 weeks. However, it wasn't really increasing my game performance since like most of the other posters said; most jumps ingame are 2 feet jumps. I then switched to two legged jump training and my bilateral jump decreased a couple inches. I was a bit shocked. However, I started jumping and rebounding like crazy in game. There was this one moment where this guy shot it and it rolled around the rim. I jumped up and my arms were above the rim a few inches(9'8 rim). I then tried two feet jumping again and could barely touch over the net a few inches lol. In the end, I would still choose 2-legged jumping like the other posters said. It gives great in game results.

Rake2204
03-12-2011, 02:34 PM
I think which leg you want to develop depends on your goal. If your goal is to improve your all around game, I don't think you go can wrong with either. But like posters said, there's a lot of two-foot jumping in basketball.

Many years ago, I switched from two-foot and decided I wanted to develop my one-foot jumping for dunking purposes. I found I was able to dunk off two feet but I was not tall enough or nearly explosive enough to do it in traffic. Further, when I'd attempt two-foot takeoffs on fast breaks, the defense would frequently have more time to catch up and foul or distract my attempt. Therefore, in my case, I went out of my way to redevelop my one-foot leaping so I could take off on the run during fast breaks and dunk without losing momentum or getting caught.

Really, I don't think you can go wrong with either type.

JoelJ
03-20-2011, 06:02 PM
As mentioned earlier, one of the reasons you're better at the unilateral jump is because you have never lifted weights. In general though, some people grow up to jump off 1 foot, while others grow up to jump off 2-feet.

The training for both types is actually similar. Bilateral training will translate to both 1-leg and 2-leg jumps. It's just that the leverage in a unilateral jump is different than that of a bilateral jump. This makes it so that the glutes and hamstrings play a bigger role in a unilateral jump when compared to the bilateral jump.

There's a lot more to it than just that. I recommend you check out this article: [URL="http://www.improve-vertical.org/improve-vertical/improve-vertical-single-leg-jump-guide/"]Improve Vertical