PDA

View Full Version : Will kobe play until he is 40

Ikill
10-03-2010, 10:17 PM
how many years would he of payed 23

jlauber
10-03-2010, 10:19 PM
I doubt it. I say 5-6 years. These long seasons since his high school days are already taken their toll.

And I can't see him content to be a role player.

Willkill24
10-03-2010, 10:20 PM
If he wants to be a role player.

Solid Snake
10-03-2010, 10:22 PM
He'll probably play till 38.

no pun intended
Yes.

thejumpa
If he stays healthy and the Lakers stay competitive, I don't doubt it. A lot of it is going to depend on his body reacts to surgery and injuries. He's already on his 3rd knee surgery and I'll bet he'll need at least one more in the next 2-3 years.

The only reason I'd see him playing for that long is to prove a point. I bet he doesn't.

All Net
10-03-2010, 10:24 PM
For as long as he is motivated basically....I think 38 is realistic.

ProfessorMurder
10-03-2010, 10:25 PM
:oldlol: If he does (which he absolutely won't), I can't wait to hear Kobe fanatics say that his 11ppg doesn't count for his career average, just like his first 3 don't count now.

All Net
10-03-2010, 10:26 PM

depends what you would call a role player, even at age 36 I could score Kobe averaging a good 17-18 a game.

All Net
10-03-2010, 10:28 PM
:oldlol: If he does (which he absolutely won't), I can't wait to hear Kobe fanatics say that his 11ppg doesn't count for his career average, just like his first 3 don't count now.

I think Kobe would retire if it came to the day he could only put up 11 points per game.

SinJackal
10-03-2010, 10:29 PM
For as long as he is motivated basically....I think 38 is realistic.

That's what I think too. 38-39ish. He'll likely retire right before 40.

Willkill24
10-03-2010, 10:30 PM
depends what you would call a role player, even at age 36 I could score Kobe averaging a good 17-18 a game.
Yea but at 40 that 23 years in the league, that'd be crazy.

All Net
10-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Yea but at 40 that 23 years in the league, that'd be crazy.

Indeed it is but Kobe's game is built to last longer than alot of permeter players. I think alot of his later years will be spend in the post. Also depends how good Lakers remain, with the way Buss always gets success he may be able to stay on a good team.

Willkill24
10-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Indeed it is but Kobe's game is built to last longer than alot of permeter players. I think alot of his later years will be spend in the post. Also depends how good Lakers remain, with the way Buss always gets success he may be able to stay on a good team.
I Agree.

thejumpa
10-03-2010, 10:36 PM

It's not about his game being built to last longer. It's about his body being able to last that long. 23 years in the NBA is no joke. Combine that with playoff runs and IIRC, it would be 25+years. That's a little ridiculous to think. I don't necessarily doubt that he could do it, but I think it's more likely he slows up to the point where he retires first.

Then again, if they keep getting talent, who knows.

B-Easy
10-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Grant Hill gives a lot of older players hope ..I dont see why Kobe cant be a high level role player like him when hes 38-40.

PowerGlove
10-03-2010, 10:41 PM
steep decline coming up in the next three years. people keep on saying these minor injuries arent a sign and stuff like that when it clearly is. sad.

jlauber
Grant Hill gives a lot of older players hope ..I dont see why Kobe cant be a high level role player like him when hes 38-40.

I hope he does.

PowerGlove
Too bad Kobe has far surpassed the minutes Grant has played.

Kobe's career reg season minutes:37366
Grant hill's?30552
Kobe's playoff minutes?7811
Grant hill's?1212

All Net
10-03-2010, 10:42 PM
It's not about his game being built to last longer. It's about his body being able to last that long. 23 years in the NBA is no joke. Combine that with playoff runs and IIRC, it would be 25+years. That's a little ridiculous to think. I don't necessarily doubt that he could do it, but I think it's more likely he slows up to the point where he retires first.

Then again, if they keep getting talent, who knows.

It all depends on how Kobe adjusts his body in terms of his off-season and really what team he has around him.

Alot in Lakerland are hoping Bynum does pan out and he can be one of the main focal points on the interior. Hopefully he stays healthy.

You're right it could be a tall order but if anybody can work enough and adjust It's Kobe. As I said it depends on his motivation and how many rings he does win in the next 2-4 years too.

All Net
10-03-2010, 10:43 PM
steep decline coming up in the next three years. people keep on saying these minor injuries arent a sign and stuff like that when it clearly is. sad.

Wishful thinking, people have said the same crap fro the past two years.

Kobe isn't going to decline for a good while yet.

thejumpa
10-03-2010, 10:45 PM
:oldlol:

I'm laughing at the fact of Kobe playing 25+ years in the league at age 40. That is truly some crazy shit. I've only really heard of one other guard that could probably do something like that. It would definitely be something to see.

B-Easy
10-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Too bad Kobe has far surpassed the minutes Grant has played.

Grant Hill is getting by on pure skill now a days .. i dont see why Kobe cant at that age.

NoGunzJustSkillz
10-03-2010, 10:46 PM
i'm sure you can't you sick weirdo.

All Net
:oldlol:

I'm laughing at the fact of Kobe playing 25+ years in the league at age 40. That is truly some crazy shit. I've only really heard of one other guard that could probably do something like that. It would definitely be something to see.

Indeed it would, If Kobe stays injury free it's possible.

PowerGlove
Wishful thinking, people have said the same crap fro the past two years.

Kobe isn't going to decline for a good while yet.
45,177 Total Minutes Played.

Keep thinking that he's not going anywhere.

All Net
10-03-2010, 10:48 PM
45,177 Total Minutes Played.

Keep thinking that he's not going anywhere.

I'm well aware of how many minutes he has played but I also know what kind of worker Kobe is in terms of working out and staying injury free. He was at 29, 7 and 6 last year..there is no reason why he won't keep up those numbers for a good amount of years yet.

But at the end of the day we can't predict the future so who knows.

AK47DR91
10-03-2010, 10:48 PM
He's following Jordan's footsteps so he'll play til he's 40.

Only difference is he won't have two retirements in between. :lol

PowerGlove
10-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Kareem played 57446 minutes in the reg season and 8851 in the post season.

66297 Total Minutes.

jstern
10-03-2010, 10:52 PM
He will play until 45, because of the advance technologies in food.

miller-time
10-03-2010, 10:59 PM
i think kobe will retire before he can no longer play. probably around 37 or 38. over the next 5 years his recovery speed will slow down alot. if he only had to play 20 games a season or something he could play until he is 50. it isn't the big injuries but the day to day pain he will experience by playing every other day.

PistonsFan#21
10-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Im calling it now:

He retires at 37-38 years old, takes 2-3 years off and makes a return ala Jordan before retiring again. During this process he will try to break Jordan's 40pts at 40 year old record

YAWN
10-03-2010, 11:46 PM

Guys like you have been preaching about your wishful thinking "steep decline" over the past couple of years, but the truth is that he will remain a top player in the league for 3-4 more seasons. With that said I don't think Kobe stays in the league once he drops down to a 20/5/5 player.

AMISTILLILL
10-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Who the hell is Will Kobe?

asdf1990
10-03-2010, 11:49 PM
probably since he is a jordan wannabe.

PowerGlove
10-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Guys like you have been preaching about your wishful thinking "steep decline" over the past couple of years, but the truth is that he will remain a top player in the league for 3-4 more seasons. With that said I don't think Kobe stays in the league once he drops down to a 20/5/5 player.
"Wishful thinking"

"Preaching"

"You guys"

GTFO. Dude is human, I'm sorry if modern technology doesn't negate that fact. Do you really think that he's going to have the longevity of Kareem? Come on.

ILLsmak
10-04-2010, 12:58 AM
I think if they can keep a championship team around him, he'll play a long time. If they keep getting better players to cover up for an aging Kobe's flaws, he can still be a star for a long time. You know Kobe can get 20-ish ppg at any age. If the team is winning and he's getting his 20-something ppg, he will still be relevant. So I think he'll play.

i can't imagine him staying if he is a 'role player', though, but the thing is Kobe wouldn't be... MJ was never a role player. Iverson was never a role player. Once you get that mentality you are gonna get your 20 ppg no matter how old you are.

-Smak

zizozain
10-04-2010, 01:09 AM
The Chief" played 21 seasons and 1,611 games

:applause:

RoseCity07
10-04-2010, 02:03 AM
Kobe has the kind of skills to play until he is 40 and be affective. Even if he doesn't have the lift, he still has the ball handling and catch and shoot game to average 20 a game when he's 40.

It's really about if his body will allow him to be on the floor.

momo
10-04-2010, 05:35 AM
I would say no except he said he wanted to play tel he is 40. With KBs psycho competitiveness, I would not put it past him to try. IF he does, it will just be a matter of not having the wrong type of injury, and changing his game up some. He has shown that he can change, but also that he is stubborn as hell, so who knows how it affects his productiveness.

miller-time
10-04-2010, 05:39 AM
The Chief" played 21 seasons and 1,611 games

:applause:

he was also 7 feet tall.

is there any chance he could play in italy?

ImmortalD24
10-04-2010, 05:54 AM
probably since he is a jordan wannabe.
Don't be ridiculous.

He'd have to retire (1993 at age 30-123days), unretire (95 at age 32), retire again (98 after he turned 35), unretire (2001 at age 38), then retire from basketball for good (03 at 40).

Playing all the way from draft day at 17 years of age till 40 ! Now that would be unprecedented from a wing player.. thats 23 years and would surely have the All-Time points record. This isn't being a Jordan wannabe at all..

bucks_ole
10-04-2010, 06:42 AM
Kobe's jumpshot is still money almost all of time, that's not gonna be leaving him as he gets older. He's also crafty as shit. I can really see him being the #1 option for at least 3-4 more seasons, I doubt he will dip below 20 ppg until he's 36-37.

Lebron23
10-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Retire at the age of 36 yrs.old

CelticsDraftee
10-04-2010, 10:39 AM

http://i50.tinypic.com/2n6awm1.jpg

PowerGlove
10-17-2011, 06:09 PM
what do you guys think now?

Mr. I'm So Rad
10-17-2011, 06:10 PM
I don't want him to be like Jordan and overstay his welcome. If he can't be a top 10 player he shouldn't play. I don't think he will play if he isn't a top 10 player anyway. He'll hang it before then

PowerGlove
10-17-2011, 06:11 PM
I don't want him to be like Jordan and overstay his welcome. If he can't be a top 10 player he shouldn't play. I don't think he will play if he isn't a top 10 player anyway. He'll hang it before then
He better hang it pretty soon then...imo he's got like two years left of top ten play in him.

Mr. I'm So Rad
10-17-2011, 06:18 PM
I would say he's got 3 more seasons left of top 10 play..barring injury of course. His game translates well with age. The only thing that will be hard for him is on defense. It'll be difficult for him to guard these younger, quicker guards like Westbrook, Rose, D Will, CP3, etc. Offensively, he will be a 25 ppg guy easily. He won't have to chuck for it either. Put him in the post and he can destroy guys down there.

RRR3
10-17-2011, 06:20 PM
I would say he's got 3 more seasons left of top 10 play..barring injury of course. His game translates well with age. The only thing that will be hard for him is on defense. It'll be difficult for him to guard these younger, quicker guards like Westbrook, Rose, D Will, CP3, etc. Offensively, he will be a 25 ppg guy easily. He won't have to chuck for it either. Put him in the post and he can destroy guys down there.

You do realize he can't play as many minutes as he used to, so he'll have to have an insane usage percentage (like he did last year) and/or chuck to keep getting 25 ppg unless he magically regains his stamina. And he already is unable to guard young, quick guards, heck, he has trouble with Ray Allen these days.

rodman91
10-17-2011, 06:23 PM
40 years old Kobe > Any Derek Fisher.:lol

Mr. I'm So Rad
10-17-2011, 06:25 PM
You do realize he can't play as many minutes as he used to, so he'll have to have an insane usage percentage (like he did last year) and/or chuck to keep getting 25 ppg unless he magically regains his stamina. And he already is unable to guard young, quick guards, heck, he has trouble with Ray Allen these days.

You do realize that he was coming off of 3 straight finals as well as the Olympics and surgery? They were limiting his minutes to save him for the playoffs. Heck, just the season before last he was playing 38 mpg. This rest will do him some good. Kobe is a very well conditioned athlete and takes care of himself. He can still play 35 mpg+ easily.

I'm not sure what the last part has to do with anything but like I said, defensively is where he'll have some trouble as he gets older. Not necessarily due to ability, but lack of effort.

Heavincent
10-17-2011, 06:30 PM
You do realize that he was coming off of 3 straight finals as well as the Olympics and surgery? They were limiting his minutes to save him for the playoffs. Heck, just the season before last he was playing 38 mpg. This rest will do him some good. Kobe is a very well conditioned athlete and takes care of himself. He can still play 35 mpg+ easily.

I'm not sure what the last part has to do with anything but like I said, defensively is where he'll have some trouble as he gets older. Not necessarily due to ability, but lack of effort.

Get out of here with that logical thinking and such.

Kobe will come back strong next season. Will probably be top 3 again.

RRR3
10-17-2011, 06:36 PM

Top 3 lol. Got any more jokes?

rodman91
10-17-2011, 06:39 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_vyC0a8vzLKI/TQ0_d3ZAF8I/AAAAAAAAA_o/YNzt9vktD7o/s1600/bright-sided.jpg

Heavincent
10-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Top 3 lol. Got any more jokes?

Yeah, what a huge stretch of the imagination. A top 10 player all-time that is 33 and healthier than he has been in years might make it back into the top 3. Boy, what a stretch.

rodman91
10-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Yeah, what a huge stretch of the imagination. A top 10 player all-time that is 33 and healthier than he has been in years might make it back into the top 3. Boy, what a stretch.

1.Howard comes to LA. (or someother superstar)
2.LA wins ring thanks to Howard's performance.
3.Kobe gets attention with scoring more than 20 ppg with absurd % and making ugly faces.
4.Kobe gets hyped again by media as top 3 again.

It sounds reasonable.

pauk
10-17-2011, 07:06 PM
sure.. if he wants to be a benchwarmer or roleplayer

RRR3
10-17-2011, 07:08 PM
I've been hearing this "Kobe is gonna be healthier" ever since LeBron became clearly better than Kobe around 2008-09 or so. Funny shit.

Jacks3
10-17-2011, 07:11 PM
lol @ that moron RRR3.

ihatetimthomas
10-17-2011, 07:16 PM
I've been hearing this "Kobe is gonna be healthier" ever since LeBron became clearly better than Kobe around 2008-09 or so. Funny shit.

Well, he hasn't even had the opportunity to become healthier in 3 years due to his deep runs to the playoffs and his Olympic bball. Now, with an early departure in the playoffs and the lockout, he has no choice but to heal up. He was very banged up this season but still put up solid numbers.

RRR3
10-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Well, he hasn't even had the opportunity to become healthier in 3 years due to his deep runs to the playoffs and his Olympic bball. Now, with an early departure in the playoffs and the lockout, he has no choice but to heal up. He was very banged up this season but still put up solid numbers.
He put up great numbers, no denying it. He's still 33 and is already in severe decline in terms of defense and stamina.

ihatetimthomas
10-17-2011, 07:20 PM

Yeah, he will suffer on defense, and he has already shown the decline in mobility on defense. He needs to play on a team where team D is stressed heavily to offset his mobility decline.

RRR3
10-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Yeah, he will suffer on defense, and he has already shown the decline in mobility on defense. He needs to play on a team where team D is stressed heavily to offset his mobility decline.
Eh. The Lakers have enough firepower to remain a dangerous team. Their bench needs some fine-tuning, and Mike Brown certainly isn't the best choice to be their coach, but we'll see.

Mr. I'm So Rad
10-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Eh. The Lakers have enough firepower to remain a dangerous team. Their bench needs some fine-tuning, and Mike Brown certainly isn't the best choice to be their coach, but we'll see.

Well I don't know if they can remain a top offensive team. They need some more shooting imo. They were a very mediocre 3 point shooting team. They have the post presence, but no real spot up shooters. (Fisher is a little too inconsistent for my liking).

As far as defense, I think Mike Brown and Kobe can get the guys motivated to play defense. After all, defense is more about effort, heart and smarts than talent. He was able to make the Cavs a consistent top defensive team during his tenure there. His rotations and ability to function under pressure are questionable though

ihatetimthomas
10-17-2011, 07:26 PM

Oh I don't doubt they are a dangerous team still. A "healthy" bynum and fresh Gasol is one of the best frontcourts in the biz. But they need a legit pg and help on the perimeter. I wasn't too fond of the Brown signing, but hey I will look at the positive. He is a great defensive coach and he is definitely going to improve the Lakers D. On offense? I have no clue. But I am thinking the ball will be focused on the post players.

Boston C's
10-17-2011, 07:33 PM

He's always had trouble guarding ray... he was never interested in chasing ray around screens all day even his own coach said so

Heavincent
10-17-2011, 08:08 PM

Kobe was better than Lebron in 09-10. Sorry.

Nick Young
10-17-2011, 08:09 PM
if he does he will have like 10 rings by then
:rockon:

KB2009Champ
10-17-2011, 08:22 PM
i think he retires when his current contract is up.

RRR3
10-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Kobe was better than Lebron in 09-10. Sorry.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Smoke117
10-17-2011, 08:50 PM
If he wants to use a wheel chair. This guy has enough nagging injuries and miles as it is now. There is no way he last until 40.

the_wise_one
10-18-2011, 12:22 AM
He'll last until 40 - he has been on steroids and illegal PEDs since his rookie year.

jlip
10-18-2011, 12:53 AM
I don't know. When he called me yesterday he didn't really mention anything about that to me. :facepalm

Lebron23
10-18-2011, 04:22 AM
He'll play until he's 35 yrs.old. Maybe try an NBA comeback in his late 30's. Kobe is already on his 16th NBA season, and he already played more games than Michael Jordan.

Cali Syndicate
10-18-2011, 04:55 AM
[/B]

He's always had trouble guarding ray... he was never interested in chasing ray around screens all day even his own coach said so

The same goes for Reggie and Rip. I recall Kobe saying Reggie was the hardest player to guard.

Doctor Rivers
10-18-2011, 07:12 AM
He'll last until 40 - he has been on steroids and illegal PEDs since his rookie year.

lol BANNED

Boston C's
10-18-2011, 11:45 AM
The same goes for Reggie and Rip. I recall Kobe saying Reggie was the hardest player to guard.

your actually correct on that... he says it in his camp in 2010 (i think thats the yr) that reggie was the toughest person he had to guard in his career

OldSchoolBBall
10-18-2011, 02:19 PM
Assuming this season is cancelled entirely, I'd say he plays until he's 36-37. So 2-3 more seasons after this one if this one is cancelled.

Jacks3
10-18-2011, 02:27 PM
He's already said he plays to play until 40. And go down as the GOAT.

:bowdown:

ihatetimthomas
10-18-2011, 07:02 PM
I think Kobe will be capable of playing up to that age, but he will be no where near a goto type of player. He would be a nice role player, but I seriously doubt he plays that long. He will retire before he becomes a shell of his former self.

bizil
10-18-2011, 07:50 PM
I realize that Kobe and MJ are had different career paths cause Kobe came outta HS. But MJ at 40 was STILL a top ten SF and All Star caliber player at 39 or 40. I would say MJ was still a top 20-25 player in the L. From the all around sense, he was just as good as say a Vince Carter even at that time. And MJ could still takeover a game and put 50 on u, but not as consistently or as much. He would just get tired quicker, but MJ was still very, very nice.

I think Kobe has the work ethic and pride to get as close as he can to GOAT status. If he gets to say 8 rings and gets in the top three in scoring all time, his resume will look as good as anybody EVER. But guys like Wilt, MJ, Magic, Bird, and Kareem are mythic figures who revolutionized their positions and the game. Kobe as great as he was didn't revolutionize the game cause he was so similar to MJ. It's very hard to redefine a position so I don't hold that against Kobe. Therefore, Kob is going to find a way to play until 40 and be almost as good as MJ was at 40. Which would still make Kob an All Star type player still capable of doin shit like he did in his prime at times.