PDA

View Full Version : MJ getting ahead of himself?

N0Skillz
10-09-2010, 01:48 AM
How has the game changed from your playing days?

Jordan: It's less physical and the rules have changed, obviously. Based on these rules, if I had to play with my style of play, I'm pretty sure I would have fouled out or I would have been at the free throw line pretty often and I could have scored 100 points.

:no: :no:

I love MJ but I never like it when players use could and would. He basically dissed the whole league which is kinda ****ed up to me.

K.Koscik
10-09-2010, 01:51 AM
Jordan homers will soon flood the thread claiming Jordan was correct in everything he said because he's just that much greater than anybody else.

OldSchoolBBall
10-09-2010, 01:54 AM
My reply from the other thread:

No where near 100 (is he crazy? :oldlol:), but I can see multiple games of 65-75 from age 24-30, maybe an outlier of 80ish.

Replay32
10-09-2010, 01:54 AM

Jordan: It's less physical and the rules have changed, obviously. Based on these rules, if I had to play with my style of play, I'm pretty sure I would have fouled out or I would have been at the free throw line pretty often and I could have scored 100 points.

I love MJ but I never like it when players use could and would. He basically dissed the whole league which is kinda ****ed up to me.

Nah!! He's right. The league is soft now. There is a lot of ticky tack touch fouls now. Not saying there weren't some back in the day. But in today's NBA it's way over the top. You can't hand check today. You can't even touch a player in the back court or it's an automatic foul.

There's a lot of weak off the ball fouls that's just ridiculous also. I find myself saying "Just let them play" far too often nowadays. Refs are always messing up the flow of the game consistently. Hell FIBA is more physical than the NBA.

edit: I don't know if he could score 100 pts though. That's pretty hard. But I wouldn't say it would be impossible if he set out to do it against a weak defensive team. Jordan shot a lot like kobe, but he also played off the ball and did it more in the flow of the offense. But you never know.

N0Skillz
10-09-2010, 01:56 AM
Neg Repped

F*ck you Kobe N*thugger. Kome is past his prime

never said the word Kobe........... Jordan ******gers gotta realize he was the best but he wasn't a god. I started this topic to discuss this not to get Drepped by douche bags who feel insecure about Kobe and MJ

LA KB24
10-09-2010, 02:04 AM
He is right though. :confusedshrug:
Prime Jordan could easily score 100 on a bunch of teams today.

OldSchoolBBall
10-09-2010, 02:10 AM

No he couldn't - and I'm the biggest Jordan fan in the world.

oh the horror
10-09-2010, 02:18 AM
You know, I dont know what people think, but does anyone realize just how hard it is to drop 50....then 60....then to try and drop 70, and then Kobe when he hit 81?

This isnt something that just happens folks. Its pretty damn special, and rare. I love how people attempt to downplay what Kobe did that night, because he did it against the Raptors. Its still very hard to have games like that.

WITH THAT BEING SAID....Jordan was dropping big numbers during an era where OVERALL they WERE more physical....got away with much more....AND didnt call as many touch fouls. If you dont believe dude would absolutely FEAST on opposition offensively in today's game, then you're just crazy.

Now...I dont know about 100....

Wilt doing that was special, during a time in history where it just happened that way. We will probably never see that go down again....but Jordan could very well drop 80+ If Kobe could do it.

hayden695
10-09-2010, 02:21 AM
I like that he brings up that he would foul out. No one ever brings that point up on ISH it seems even though it is quite valid (if we go by the time machine theory:lol )

I guess if he were raised in this era though he would have been brought up with these touchy fouls. Whatever f*ck it. Who really cares.

hayden695
10-09-2010, 02:23 AM
You know, I dont know what people think, but does anyone realize just how hard it is to drop 50....then 60....then to try and drop 70, and then Kobe when he hit 81?

This isnt something that just happens folks. Its pretty damn special, and rare. I love how people attempt to downplay what Kobe did that night, because he did it against the Raptors. Its still very hard to have games like that.

WITH THAT BEING SAID....Jordan was dropping big numbers during an era where OVERALL they WERE more physical....got away with much more....AND didnt call as many touch fouls. If you dont believe dude would absolutely FEAST on opposition offensively in today's game, then you're just crazy.

Now...I dont know about 100....

Wilt doing that was special, during a time in history where it just happened that way. We will probably never see that go down again....but Jordan could very well drop 80+ If Kobe could do it.
AMEN!

Even dropping 60 or whatever would be hard against the WORST defenses. If you include just overall exhaustion.

coin24
10-09-2010, 02:29 AM

now...I dont know about 100....

:applause: :applause: :applause:

I love how people that never even watched jordan play comment about how the game was played back then:facepalm :facepalm

Or that if someone says Jordan is great it automatically means something about kobe, wtf is wrong with some people on here???

I dont know about 100, but if he got hot im sure he could get up there..

thejumpa
10-09-2010, 02:35 AM
If Kobe could go crazy for 81 against the Raptors, then I should at least believe that MJ could match that. Only 19 points away. Put him against a wack defense like that or NJ and he get's hot, then who knows. It's pointless to go back and forth on it, though.

andgar923
10-09-2010, 02:39 AM
I gotta agree with Oldschool, he wouldn't be able to score 100 pts mainly because he doesn't shoot enough 3pt shots to do so.

Even if he got hot, he'd need to attempt in the double figures (close to 20) and shoot them at a high %.

As he stated tho, his game was to 'attack' and keep attacking so by default its safe to say that he wouldn't score 100 pts.

And like Oldschool mentioned, he would've had many big games of over 60, 70 and even 80 pts.

I'm also in the minority (even amongst most MJ fans), that believe MJ would avg around 42-45pts with a good fg%. If anybody saw the Wizards MJ play on a consistent basis, they would've noticed that MJ would be able to score in the 17-20pts by half time frequently, but slow down in the 2nd half (this happens to almost every player, even those in their prime...... look it up). And there's also a good reference in games in which MJ had some rest. When MJ had a few games to rest (fresher legs) he was scoring big numbers by the half on high percent shooting and during those games he usually stayed consistent in the 2nd half.

But the biggest factor is Wade.

Wade plays a game very similar to MJ's (attack, attack). But MJ was better in 99% of the facets in the game. Just looking at the ft% alone makes a big jump in pt avg. Mj would make at least 2 more fts than Wade per game, and finish at least 2 more shots at the rim. MJ also has a superior well.... everything. Imagine if Wade had just half of Kobe's ability to shoot and score from any place on the court? Imagine if Wade was 2 inches taller, could jump higher and smarter?

40-45 pt avg for MJ is very likely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd9ayPlqCMg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV52IrBoj90
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J83LyohClFI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSMeJ1fJWOI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c13gfGtUyL8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhPsuzUZ69U&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcARNIt8Ydk&feature=related

For starters....

LAClipsFan33
10-09-2010, 02:41 AM
If you've ever watched the Jordan 69 point game its pretty obvious he could have scored 80 if that's what he was shooting for that game.

To say he couldn't score 80 today...as outrageous as the number 80 sounds...is just untrue.

Harison
10-09-2010, 03:08 AM
Its no secret Jordan is cocky, but if he would have made a goal to score 100 in current soft league... With a favorable refs crew who calls every touchy foul like they do for Lebron or Wade... Who knows, even if its unlikely, not entirely impossible either. I can imagine MJ would average ~40 PPG today, with a lot of 50-70 games, few ~80, and maybe, just maybe, 100.

Some people forget how dominant Jordan was, also he was pretty good 3PT shooter (Ray just now managed to beat Jordans 3PT record in the Finals). If he is red hot and whole team helping him to score on every possession, very high scores are possible.

King Kong
10-09-2010, 03:48 AM
Its no secret Jordan is cocky, but if he would have made a goal to score 100 in current soft league... With a favorable refs crew who calls every touchy foul like they do for Lebron or Wade... Who knows, even if its unlikely, not entirely impossible either. I can imagine MJ would average ~40 PPG today, with a lot of 50-70 games, few ~80, and maybe, just maybe, 100.

Some people forget how dominant Jordan was, also he was pretty good 3PT shooter (Ray just now managed to beat Jordans 3PT record in the Finals). If he is red hot and whole team helping him to score on every possession, very high scores are possible.

It is ridiculous how soft this league is. I mean Kevin Durant scores 30 on a bad game because of all the bail out calls he gets. I am sick of seeing Durant go 5-15 from the field then right next to it 14-15 FT line.

Jordan would have made it a goal to score 100 points in this league and there is no question he could have done it.

TennesseeFan
10-09-2010, 03:50 AM
This is the cuntiesh thing I have ever heard his Airness say.

Rowe
10-09-2010, 03:53 AM
It is ridiculous how soft this league is. I mean Kevin Durant scores 30 on a bad game because of all the bail out calls he gets. I am sick of seeing Durant go 5-15 from the field then right next to it 14-15 FT line.

Jordan would have made it a goal to score 100 points in this league and there is no question he could have done it.

Yep.

Superstar Calls. You know you're a superstar when you get them.

Durant went ham on the FT line against LA.

andgar923
10-09-2010, 04:10 AM

And they're (players) mostly jump shooters.

Svendiggity
10-09-2010, 04:19 AM
About the refs calling fouls differently today: Even IF they made an attempt to call more fouls today, they have failed (statistically)

Maga_1
10-09-2010, 05:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd9ayPlqCMg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV52IrBoj90
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J83LyohClFI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSMeJ1fJWOI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c13gfGtUyL8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhPsuzUZ69U&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcARNIt8Ydk&feature=related

For starters....

This speaks for himself .

I have a question, how many 45 points Jordan had?

OldSchoolBBall
10-09-2010, 05:41 AM
This speaks for himself .

I have a question, how many 45 points Jordan had?

76 games in the regular season plus 23 games in the playoffs for a total of 99 games of 45+ points. The next highest player has just 48 games of 45+ points, for comparison.

What's more interesting is that Jordan has by far the second most 48+ point games ever, behind Wilt. MJ had 45 RS + 12 playoffs for a total of 57 games of 48+ points. The next highest player has 31 such games, for reference, and has played in basically the same exact amount of career games (RS + PS) that Jordan has.

InspiredLebowski
10-09-2010, 05:43 AM
Where's this quote from?

Mr Clutch Melo
10-09-2010, 05:47 AM
If he could drop 50 when is was 40, Im sure he could drop 75 ++++

seoerizer
10-09-2010, 05:47 AM

Yes, he was. He would score 30+ points if he want to play next season.

knightfall88
10-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Kobe gets 81 because he is a major shot jacker who can get his shot off anywhere on the court. There is no way that MJ was that type of player and no he could never have gotten 100.

Jacks3
10-09-2010, 08:06 AM
lol @ calling Kobe a "shot-jacker" when that piece of shit Jordan lead the league in FGA attempts 10 times to Kobe's 2. :oldlol:

mayo'sgrizz
10-09-2010, 08:19 AM

are u fukkking kidding me. wow i swear there are some serious stupid ass ppl on this site holy shit. GTFOH

StarJordan
10-09-2010, 08:28 AM
if 89 jordan was playing against 2006 raptors and decided one day that i'm gonna break the record tonight, with those rules, he'd foul out their entire team and shoot 40 free throws....they'd run out of players to guard him and he'd be fuking their cheerleaders by the 4th quarter on his way out..

mayo'sgrizz
10-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Yes, he was. He would score 30+ points if he want to play next season.

omg give me a break get off his *** jesus

JDKMagic
10-09-2010, 08:51 AM
About the refs calling fouls differently today: Even IF they made an attempt to call more fouls today, they have failed (statistically)

We're not talking about overall fouls. We're talking about fouls on guards. In today's game big guys can get pushed and hit without a foul but if you as much as breathe on a guard it's a foul.

I haven't looked it up to the point of analyzing the statistics, so I could be wrong, but if you factor in pace, I don't believe there's a snowball's chance in hell that guards of today's game aren't getting foul calls at a much higher rate. Then you've got shit like defensive three seconds & etc that also play into a guard's favor. Give me a break.

Jordan is right... he would have either fouled out or been able to drop 100 at some point. He is head and shoulders above any guard today at scoring the basketball.

PistonsFan#21
10-09-2010, 08:52 AM
lol @ calling Kobe a "shot-jacker" when that piece of shit Jordan lead the league in FGA attempts 10 times to Kobe's 2. :oldlol:

Piece of shit Jordan? :roll:

When you are as efficient as Jordan you are allowed to shoot as much as he does. Not only is he one of the best scorers of all time but he is also one of the most efficient players ever at the SG spot. Same can't be said about Kobe

JDKMagic
10-09-2010, 08:53 AM

If Jordan is a piece of shit, Kobe is a smear on the toilet paper, and you're a wet fart.

OldSchoolBBall
10-09-2010, 09:04 AM
they'd run out of players to guard him and he'd be fuking their cheerleaders by the 4th quarter on his way out..

:oldlol:

niko
10-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Is this going to be the norm? People trying to downgrade Jordan because he dared to say he wouldn't join up with his rivals instead of trying to beat him? Any of you actually watch him back in the day? What exactly about his asshole i will kill you or die trying personality makes you think he would?

KenneBell
10-09-2010, 09:16 AM
He is head and shoulders above any guard today at scoring the basketball. I don't know if that's the case on a one-game basis. On a game to game basis yes, but when Kobe's hot, he can score just as well as anyone in history.

I don't think MJ could put up 100 even in today's league. The game would have to played at ridiculous pace for MJ to get the FT's needed.

In that game against Orlando when he put up 49 FGA, he would have needed 40FT's to even get close to 100. That's insane.

Riddler
10-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Jordan has earned the right to say whatever the f*ck he wants to say.

elementally morale
10-09-2010, 09:39 AM
At 38 he scored 45 points in 3 quarters, folks. Wizzards game vs. the Hornets. Were he in his prime I'm sure he could average 35-40 ppg now, with plenty of 50+ or even 60+ games. As for 100? It's not impossible. He probably would need a double OT game to do that, but it could happen. Especially after him having seen Kobe score 81. MJ was a pretty competitive dude, you know.

BTW, I don't like Jordan.

Jacks3
10-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Piece of shit Jordan? :roll:

When you are as efficient as Jordan you are allowed to shoot as much as he does. Not only is he one of the best scorers of all time but he is also one of the most efficient players ever at the SG spot. Same can't be said about Kobe

Actually, Kobe's efficiency has always been excellent given his usage and volume. The point is calling Kobe a "shot-jacker" is laughable considering MJ lead the league in FGA 10 freaking times. :oldlol:

Jacks3
10-09-2010, 09:52 AM
If Jordan is a piece of shit, Kobe is a smear on the toilet paper, and you're a wet fart.

Jordan kiddies getting mad seeing their hero insulted. :oldlol:

"Jesus"
10-09-2010, 09:55 AM

This.

evilmonkey
10-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Its a bit arrogant.... but hey at least he is honest, you know... he really could actually get 100 points with todays weak ass rules...

game385
10-09-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm sure the 100 point statement was just a bit of hyperbole, but he absolutely would dominate offensively. If he could average 37 points per game in the 1986-87 season in a much tougher NBA, he'd would definitely run circles around this generation's watered down defenses.

Knicksfever2010
10-09-2010, 10:45 AM

seriously??? Everybody is friends with everybody, do you think MJ would have left the bulls to buddy up w/ Ewing/Barkley? Would Bird have left the Celtics to buddy up with Magic???

EVERYBODY is friends with EVERYBODY. Watch the Knicks/Bulls playoff wars of the mid 90's, and players WOULDNT DARE help the opposing teams player get up. Nowadays its a love-fest.

KABIRC
10-09-2010, 11:09 AM
He has a point. Even though his "100 point" ting is kind of pushing it he's right about the rules, and it probably would've prevented him from playing the way he played

JDKMagic
10-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Jordan kiddies getting mad seeing their hero insulted. :oldlol:

No? He's not my hero. He's never been my favorite player.

You called him a piece of shit despite the fact that he's far better than your hero at everything except hitting incredibly difficult & contested shots that only a stupid player would take in the first place. So again, if Jordan is a piece of shit, what does that make Kobe? You're essentially implying that Kobe is better.

Spamming emoticons doesn't change anything. Quite frankly, it is an insult to Jordan to compare him to Kobe in the sense that one would be making the argument that Kobe is close or better.

Your hero missed the playoffs entirely and got bounced out of the first round during his prime.

The stats are in Jordan's favor as are the accolades... both by a wide margin. Speaking in a ridiculous hypothetical, Kobe and the Lakers could win another 5 straight titles and if during that incredible run, Kobe doesn't magically turn back the clock and become a better player than he was during his prime, he still won't even sniff Jordan.

There is not a single rational human being walking the earth that watched both players when they were young that would take Kobe over Jordan. Not one. Never has been. Never will be. Get over it. The only reason I even entertain this type of stupidity is because it's amusing and something in the back of my head is screaming that this person can't be for real. Your stupidity stimulates my mind. I enjoy it.

gengiskhan
10-09-2010, 11:52 AM

No where near 100 (is he crazy? :oldlol:), but I can see multiple games of 65-75 from age 24-30, maybe an outlier of 80ish.

in all fairness. this is more presise. BUt MJ games are known to to into 2OTs & 3 OTs because of his extreme competitive spirit & undyng energy.

I can imagine MJ's highest score being 91-93 pts in a 2OT or 3OT game against the best team. Another game being in 84-88 pts in 2OTs. & rest of the 55-65 pts games in range of 70-75ish easily like you said.

Micku
10-09-2010, 12:47 PM
*shrugs*

Never saw Jordan play in his prime. Many ppl did comment on how guards have more space and freedom in today's game. It's no secret. Doc Rivers even said to Rondo that he wouldn't have it as easy if he played in the era that Rivers was playing. The league wanted scoring to increase, so ratings would increase.

Defense is smarter now, because they have to be. Defense have a better system, but defense was more physical back in the day. The game changed a lot from 2000 till now. And the game changed from 1990 till now too. The league is constantly changing.

Like recently, there's a new rule for technical fouls. I think the refs may call technical fouls more often or something. That was not the case ten or so years ago.

heyhey
10-09-2010, 12:49 PM
I don't know if Jordan would have scored 90 or 100 since he wasn't a great 3pt shooter or volume shooter. His game was predicated on efficiency and drives to the hoop. for him to score 100 he would have to take A LOT of contact and I don't know if that's feasible.

If he developed better range on his jumper than definitely. Cause to score 90 or 100 you need at least 10 or 11 3 pointers.

305Baller
10-09-2010, 12:52 PM
You know Jordan's competetiveness has to have him hating on Kobe's 81 pt game.

KenneBell
10-09-2010, 01:10 PM
he'd would definitely run circles around this generation's watered down defenses.
The rules may be different but the defense of today are nohere near watered down. The scheme and tactics used today are superior to those used in the 80's IMO.

GOBB
10-09-2010, 01:12 PM

If Kobe claimed he would score 80 you would have called him crazy too and not have seen it. What do you know.

jstern
10-09-2010, 01:18 PM
if 89 jordan was playing against 2006 raptors and decided one day that i'm gonna break the record tonight, with those rules, he'd foul out their entire team and shoot 40 free throws....they'd run out of players to guard him and he'd be fuking their cheerleaders by the 4th quarter on his way out..
Nah, he wouldn't foul it anyone on that Raptor's team. I have that game somewhere in a hard drive, I haven't watched it in a while, but if I remember correctly they weren't even playing defense, at all. There was like no effort to defend. I can relate when I force myself to go play basketball, and I'm cold and not into it. I've never seen that in an NBA game. If in the future they play that game on a classic sports channel, future people are going to think really badly about the defense of this era. They would be like, "X can score 100 points anytime he wants if he played back then." X = Their current favorite player.

Micku
10-09-2010, 01:21 PM
I don't know if Jordan would have scored 90 or 100 since he wasn't a great 3pt shooter or volume shooter. His game was predicated on efficiency and drives to the hoop. for him to score 100 he would have to take A LOT of contact and I don't know if that's feasible.

If he developed better range on his jumper than definitely. Cause to score 90 or 100 you need at least 10 or 11 3 pointers.

I agree to a point. I think Jordan would get to the foul line a lot from what other coaches and people say. But today's game give him a bit more freedom than in the early 90s and 80s. He would either drive or shot a jumper.

But Jordan could shoot the 3, but he never really attempt that much. Like Larry Bird. Bird never averaged above 3.4 3pt attempts in his career. Yet he was a great shooter. Michael Jordan is similar. In the 95-96 season, Jordan averaged 3.6 attempts from the 3pt line, and his percentage was .421%. That is extremely good. That is comparable to what Paul Pierce did last season when he won the 3pt contest. PP averaged 3.7 attempts from the 3pt line, and his percentage was .414%.

I think Jordan said something like he felt more comfortable shooting the than 3 because shooting the 2 is a better shot.

KenneBell
10-09-2010, 01:22 PM
In the 95-96 season, Jordan averaged 3.6 attempts from the 3pt line, and his percentage was .421%. That is extremely good. That is comparable to what Paul Pierce did last season, when he won the 3pt contest. PP averaged 3.7 attempts from the 3pt line, and he percentage was .414%.
There's a lot players today who would be shooting over 40% with the shortened 3pt line Jordan had that season. Not really comparable.

Micku
10-09-2010, 01:27 PM
There's a lot players today who would be shooting over 40% with the shortened 3pt line Jordan had that season. Not really comparable.

You're right. I forgot about that they did shorten the 3pt line.

Glide2keva
10-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Jordan homers will soon flood the thread claiming Jordan was correct in everything he said because he's just that much greater than anybody else.
Well, he was and is.

GOBB
10-09-2010, 01:30 PM
You know Jordan's competetiveness has to have him hating on Kobe's 81 pt game.

Why? There are plenty of things offensively MJ hasnt done that others have. So according to your logic he hates them too? :facepalm

jstern
10-09-2010, 01:52 PM

Look at his 89-1990 season. That season shows me that he's a better 3 point shooter than Kobe, when he makes the 3 point shot a part of his game.

KenneBell
10-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Look at his 89-1990 season. That season shows me that he's a better 3 point shooter than Kobe, when he makes the 3 point shot a part of his game.
How? Kobe shot a higher percentage in '03 with more volume.

step_back
10-09-2010, 02:10 PM
MJ would score a 1000 in 3 quarters, he would then spend the 4th macking on a bunch hot slimies for a post game porking session.

For real though 80s/90s ball was wayyy more physical. Teams like the bad boy pistons had players specifically to commit hard fouls. And if you think i'm exaggerating teams like New York and Miami had playoff wars! just hit up youtube to go watch them because anyone who doesn't think the 80/90s were more physical clearly are not old enough or didn't watch basketball back then.

And MJ scoring 80 points is plausible.........Doesn't mean its guaranteed though.

jstern
10-09-2010, 02:51 PM
How? Kobe shot a higher percentage in '03 with more volume.
Because on the 1st, the one year that Jordan decides to make the 3pt shot a part of his game, shooting lots of 3 pointers, rather than just 30 bailout 3 pointers per season, he shot better then all but 1 of Kobe's 13 or 14 seasons in the NBA, not counting his rookie season sine the line was shorten. That's better than like 93% of Kobe's season's in the NBA. That's the simple logic.

Edit: Let me try to explain more since chances are most won't even make the effort to try and understand. Before that season Jordan didn't take a lot of 3s, cause it wasn't a part of the game he cared for. But in 89-90 he decided to make it a part of his game, just like Kobe has his entire career. And in that just one season he shot better then almost all of Kobe's seasons, in something that Kobe tries to excel on. Now imagine if Jordan cared as much as Kobe about that part of the game, the 3pt shot.

N0Skillz
10-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Because on the 1st, the one year that Jordan decides to make the 3pt shot a part of his game, shooting lots of 3 pointers, rather than just 30 bailout 3 pointers per season, he shot better then all but 1 of Kobe's 13 or 14 seasons in the NBA, not counting his rookie season sine the line was shorten. That's better than like 93% of Kobe's season's in the NBA. That's the simple logic.

Edit: Let me try to explain more since chances are most won't even make the effort to try and understand. Before that season Jordan didn't take a lot of 3s, cause it wasn't a part of the game he cared for. But in 89-90 he decided to make it a part of his game, just like Kobe has his entire career. And in that just one season he shot better then almost all of Kobe's seasons, in something that Kobe tries to excel on. Now imagine if Jordan cared as much as Kobe about that part of the game, the 3pt shot.

During the 1994

jstern
10-09-2010, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE=N0Skillz]During the 1994

N0Skillz
10-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Jordans 3pt Percentage
87-88 .132
88-89 .276
89-90 .376
90-91 .312 Before Chan
91-92 .270
92-93 .352
94-95 .500
95-96 .427 Bold are Years when 3pt line was shorter
96-97 .374
97-98 .238
01-02 .189 After Change
02-03 .291

I posted this to make my previous post more clear. Its not logical to use those three years to compare how good of a 3pt shooter Jordan was compared to Kobe.

Duncan21formvp
10-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Jordan wouldn't score a 100 today unless he took 3/4 of the teams shots.

Svendiggity
10-09-2010, 04:11 PM
The 2010 NBA Finals was a straight up brawl for every rebound. The 2008 NBA Finals was physical as hell , too. Go watch tapes of those scrawny big men from the 80's punch, and clothesline each other if that's what you prefer to watch. :banana:

Round Mound
10-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Guys like Dantley, King, Jordan and Barkley under these rules would have lived on the line

KenneBell
10-09-2010, 05:23 PM
jstern needs to stop justifying. You're wrong.

che guevara
10-09-2010, 06:01 PM
MJ would score a 1000 in 3 quarters, he would then spend the 4th macking on a bunch hot slimies for a post game porking session.

For real though 80s/90s ball was wayyy more physical. Teams like the bad boy pistons had players specifically to commit hard fouls. And if you think i'm exaggerating teams like New York and Miami had playoff wars! just hit up youtube to go watch them because anyone who doesn't think the 80/90s were more physical clearly are not old enough or didn't watch basketball back then.

And MJ scoring 80 points is plausible.........Doesn't mean its guaranteed though.
To score 80 points he would have to get red hot from three and would need to have a ton of attempts. He only had one game in his career with 10+ 3 point attempts which you would need to score 80, though if he played today the 3 pointer might be a bigger part of his game. He would have to have everything going in a close game to get to 80.

jstern
10-09-2010, 06:05 PM
jstern needs to stop justifying. You're wrong.
Look, you're a Kobe fan who gets annoyed with Jordan's success, I know there's no way to have a fair minded conversation about this. All I simply stated is that according to the stats, when Jordan shoots over 250 3 pointers a season, with the long 3 point line not the short one, Jordan is arguably better than Kobe shooting 3 pointers. Jordan could have shot 50% from 3s in 89, I know you still wouldn't acknowledge it.

Now when Jordan shoots under 50 3 pointers a season he sucks. I don't think Kobe has ever shot less than 200, so we'll never know how that would have affected his percentage if he didn't take as many, or mostly bail out 3 pointers.

I know I'm basing it mostly on the 89 season, but it's still something for me to consider, how on the one season that Jordan decides to take almost as many 3 pointers as he had in his NBA career, he had a better percentage than almost all but one of Kobe's 13 or 14 seasons. (Not counting his rookie year with the short line.) If you can't understand that, then I'm not going to waste my time. All I'm saying is that Jordan is possibly more capable, if he cared about it as much as Kobe.

KingMichael23
10-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Neg Repped

F*ck you Kobe N*thugger. Kome is past his prime

never said the word Kobe........... Jordan ******gers gotta realize he was the best but he wasn't a god. I started this topic to discuss this not to get Drepped by douche bags who feel insecure about Kobe and MJ
Kobe is past his prime?

Samurai Swoosh
10-09-2010, 06:56 PM
This post actually had me literally laughing.

I haven't seen this kid post in ages ...

AJ2k8
10-09-2010, 10:02 PM
How can you score 100 if you foul out:confusedshrug:

N0Skillz
10-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Look, you're a Kobe fan who gets annoyed with Jordan's success, I know there's no way to have a fair minded conversation about this. All I simply stated is that according to the stats, when Jordan shoots over 250 3 pointers a season, with the long 3 point line not the short one, Jordan is arguably better than Kobe shooting 3 pointers. Jordan could have shot 50% from 3s in 89, I know you still wouldn't acknowledge it.

Now when Jordan shoots under 50 3 pointers a season he sucks. I don't think Kobe has ever shot less than 200, so we'll never know how that would have affected his percentage if he didn't take as many, or mostly bail out 3 pointers.

I know I'm basing it mostly on the 89 season, but it's still something for me to consider, how on the one season that Jordan decides to take almost as many 3 pointers as he had in his NBA career, he had a better percentage than almost all but one of Kobe's 13 or 14 seasons. (Not counting his rookie year with the short line.) If you can't understand that, then I'm not going to waste my time. All I'm saying is that Jordan is possibly more capable, if he cared about it as much as Kobe.

He had those high percentages when they made the 3pt line shorter
:facepalm

Read my post his 3pt percentage jumped up 20-30 percent when they made the line shorter and dropped when they changed it back....

SinJackal
10-09-2010, 10:45 PM

That's how the Thunder win games dude. I have literally seen multiple Thunder games (on ESPN and TNT, so I know you guys have seen them too) where they make ONLY 3-5 FGs for a quarter, but somehow score 30 points because of the ridiculous amount of FTs they get over a short span to get them back into the game. And this is when teams are beating them by 10-15+, where you specifically don't play teams harder to avoid fouls since the other team is shooting like crap and you're up by so much. And yet. . .tons of fouls get called one after another, during the one span of time you know a team isn't going to foul. :facepalm

It's not just Durant, it's the whole team that gets those cheap ass calls to keep them in games when they shoot like dogshit. If the calls during their games were anywhere close to 50/50 like they should be, they would be lucky to have been a .500 team last season.

Next time you feel like that seems to be happening, log onto NBA.com and check out the play by play and note how many FGs they actually make, and note their FTAs and turnovers on calls. You'll see that sharply increases during some of their "comebacks".

OldSchoolBBall
10-09-2010, 10:46 PM
I love how people act like Jordan DIDN'T have seasons of 36% and 38% from the normal line on three 3FGA per game ('90 and '93), and also shot 38.5+% each of the '91-'93 postseasons, including nearly 40% on 4 threes per game in the '93 playoffs. Jordan was a rhythm 3-point shooter; when he took more than a miniscule number of 3's, he shot them just fine.

Jacks3
10-09-2010, 10:51 PM
lol @ MJ stans trying to convince themselves that MJ had Kobe's three-point shooting ability. What a bunch of clowns.

Ne 1
10-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Honestly if Jordan played in today's era he would be a slightly better version of Joe Johnson.

jstern
10-09-2010, 11:18 PM
He had those high percentages when they made the 3pt line shorter
:facepalm

Read my post his 3pt percentage jumped up 20-30 percent when they made the line shorter and dropped when they changed it back....
You have low reading comprehension. Seriously, I mention it over and over and over again, that I'm talking about the 1989-1990 season (to avoid your type of respond) yet I keep getting the same response from you guys that they shorten the line in 95. Over and over, which shows that ya don't even read, just the 1st sentence or something because you guys are so anxious to get your point across that you don't even care what the other person said. Now I see what I'm dealing with in ish.

N0Skillz
10-09-2010, 11:41 PM
You have low reading comprehension. Seriously, I mention it over and over and over again, that I'm talking about the 1989-1990 season (to avoid your type of respond) yet I keep getting the same response from you guys that they shorten the line in 95. Over and over, which shows that ya don't even read, just the 1st sentence or something because you guys are so anxious to get your point across that you don't even care what the other person said. Now I see what I'm dealing with in ish.

I missed your post xD. MB

I have a question, If MJ was trying to make the 3pt shot a part of his game then why did he not continue in the next season?

Saying that in one season that he shot better then Kobe does not make any sense at all, so your saying he tried missing his 3 pointers before 89-90 season and after the 89-90 season he decided to miss more of them?

Also Kobe is not a 3pt Specialist only about 15% of his shots actually come from the 3pt line, and MJ wasn't a 3pt specialist either. They both just were players who could shoot from anywhere on the court. You shouldn't compare players that didn't play against each other extensively...

jstern
10-10-2010, 12:05 AM
I missed your post xD. MB

I have a question, If MJ was trying to make the 3pt shot a part of his game then why did he not continue in the next season?

Saying that in one season that he shot better then Kobe does not make any sense at all, so your saying he tried missing his 3 pointers before 89-90 season and after the 89-90 season he decided to miss more of them?

Also Kobe is not a 3pt Specialist only about 15% of his shots actually come from the 3pt line, and MJ wasn't a 3pt specialist either. They both just were players who could shoot from anywhere on the court. You shouldn't compare players that didn't play against each other extensively...

At least you didn't get combatitive. Here's MJ on the 3 point shot and maybe it can help explain why he didn't like shooting too many. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXkwuTRImqs

If a player doesn't focus on shooting 3 pointers, doesn't get in the rhythm, then they're not going to shoot it as well. Don't know how much basketball playing experience you have, but when you don't consistently shoot the longer jumper as often, then when you go for the occasional long shot you won't hit it as consistently as you would if you did more often. And if you check out the stats, there's a correlation with Jordan's 3pt FG% and how many he took that season. So if one year Jordan decided that he's going to make it a part of his game, and he was so successful, beating out almost all of Kobe's seasons, it makes me wonder if Jordan would have been better than Kobe at it, if he cared about shooting 3s.

White Chocolate
10-10-2010, 02:19 AM
Jordan wasn't good enough of a 3 point shooter to score 100, even in today's game. I have no doubt that he'd be lighting up sh!tty teams for 50-60 though.

oh the horror
10-10-2010, 02:27 AM
Why are we having this debate? No one in today's modern game will ever score 100 points. EVER. Its NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

EnoughSaid
10-10-2010, 02:30 AM
Why are we having this debate? No one in today's modern game will ever score 100 points. EVER. Its NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Yeah. I think there will only be like 1 or 2 50+ point games.

alexandreben
10-10-2010, 06:13 AM
Under no hand-checking rules, facing a terrible defense team, I believe Jordan will have a chance to step on the line over 40 times and ended it up with 100 points, it's not impossible.

just like Wilt once said if he played under the rules in the 90's, he'd average 70 points per game, and I believe he could, it's not impossible.

Rocker09
10-10-2010, 08:13 AM
I hate it when people talk about hypothetical things...

ukplayer4
10-10-2010, 05:02 PM
the league is utterly pathetic today, if you even attempt to not let an offensive player score at will its a foul. kobe got 81 and mj was a totally different class of player so its not hard to believe he might have dropped 100.

LA_Showtime
10-10-2010, 05:04 PM
The idea that players were so superior 10-15 years ago is just plain retarded. Just because Jordan is flashing his ego doesn't mean he'd be able to score 100 points. He wouldn't.

gengiskhan
10-10-2010, 08:18 PM
The idea that players were so superior 10-15 years ago is just plain retarded. Just because Jordan is flashing his ego doesn't mean he'd be able to score 100 points. He wouldn't.

Yes. they were. Just watch the past games on regular basis. you'll know. most of the marquee players had atleast 2 yrs of NCAA so fundamentals were very strong. much better players without the ball. played strong physical defense & had better FG% due to much better shot selection.

Today. its totally different. everyone wants the rock in their hand & wanna hold on to it forever despite game being not half court anymore & defense being "zone". bad shot selections, weak fundamentals & non-US NBA talent that are taught basketball differently. all has their effects.

everytime I laugh I hear words like Nowitzki=Bird, Kobe=jordan.

Jacks3
10-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Yeah, I'm sure Kobe and the rest would have had major trouble in a era where teams routinely gave up 110+ PPG on 50% FG. :oldlol: Today's defense are easily better.

KenneBell
10-10-2010, 08:59 PM
so its not hard to believe he might have dropped 100.
Yes it is. If you had any idea of how MJ and played and how many shots and FTs it would take to go 19 points past Kobe's mark, you would realize this.

Draz
10-10-2010, 10:09 PM
No he couldn't - and I'm the biggest Jordan fan in the world.

yes he can and i am not a jordan fan -

seoerizer
10-10-2010, 10:10 PM
Why not compare their FGs? Oh, my God, Michael Jordan's FGs was almost like a center's, and where is Kobe?
Jordan shot that much was because he could score and he was EFFICIENT.

Funnyfuka
10-10-2010, 10:47 PM
i have a hard time believing the game is less pyshical today than it was in the past... in my opinion it's the oposite...

KG5MVP
10-10-2010, 10:48 PM
i have a hard time believing the game is less pyshical today than it was in the past... in my opinion it's the oposite...

how old are u?

Funnyfuka
10-10-2010, 10:49 PM
28. Following the nba since 1995. stopped watching from 1999 to 2007.

Players are younger, in a lot more better physical conidition, work out and train a lot more... it's only my opinion but to me it's tougher today than in the past.

andgar923
10-10-2010, 11:13 PM
28. Following the nba since 1995. stopped watching from 1999 to 2007.

Players are younger, in a lot more better physical conidition, work out and train a lot more... it's only my opinion but to me it's tougher today than in the past.

Uh.. no.

Better physical condition doesn't mean 'more physical'.

The rules simply don't allow for the same type of physical play.

YES there are physical games, YES there are physical instances.... but even those don't compare to the normal/avg game and physicality from the past.

The things that Bowen used to do, the physical style that Artest plays with weren't exclusive to a select few of players.... it was 'common' play in those eras. So just imagine facing Bowen, Artest type of physicality EVERY game, from 98% of the players?

Imagine facing Boston Celtics like physical defense from every team, every game?

And the intensity only picks up in the post season.

Again.... to reiterate..... the RULES don't allow for this, has very little to do with today's players not having the ability or will to play physical.

Ne 1
10-10-2010, 11:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p57WjbKSoJ0

andgar923
10-10-2010, 11:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p57WjbKSoJ0

Awwwww..... how cute.

I mean... it aint like there's videos or quotes from other ex-players, coaches, officials, experts stating that MJ would absolutely destroy today's era..... naw!

Specially from some that played in both eras (current and past).

branslowski
10-10-2010, 11:28 PM
Why not compare their FGs? Oh, my God, Michael Jordan's FGs was almost like a center's, and where is Kobe?

You can be a efficient shotjacker.....So, your post is flawd...

And im not saying there's anything wrong with shotjacking..Especially when the guy's shooting the ball are Michael Jordan and/or Kobe Bryant...

Jacks3
10-10-2010, 11:32 PM

Yes, yes Jordan was great and all. But he was still a chuck-er. The boy loved to shoot. That's just a fact. Even more than Kobe. It's not a insult. But yeah, he was a chucker.

j3lademaster
10-10-2010, 11:58 PM

This. I can't see MJ dropping 100(pretty much reasons Andgar already listed) but if he came back 20 years younger tomorrow and declared "I'm dropping 100 this season" I wouldn't bet against him.

The_Yearning
10-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Jordan against Phoenix would drop 80ish easily.

trig
10-11-2010, 01:49 AM
in an era where any small young speedy pg can get a ton of calls by just driving and bumping, MJ will get a ton of calls. If guys like kobe, wade, lebron can avg 30-35, I'm sure MJ can avg a little more than that as he is more efficient and an even bigger superstar so he'll also get a few extra star calls.

he'll probably avg close to 40 then drop the occasional 60-80 vs high scoring teams like GS, Raptors, Suns, Knicks

scm5
10-11-2010, 02:40 AM
In Jordan's days, offenses were also quicker. They got off more FGA per game because they played at a faster pace. Their defense might have been more physical, but it doesn't mean they were better.

It's fair to say that Jordan would have been at least as good as he was back then in today's league, but I don't think he'd come close to 100. Defenses are different and the overall game is different. Teams might not be able to defend as physically, but they're quicker to collapse which creates a different kind of challenge.

MiseryCityTexas
10-11-2010, 03:05 AM

jordan won so many mvp awards, scoring titles, championships, and this guy is still bitter for whatever reason. i guess thats what made him a great player. cause people that are usually bitter like that always has somthing to prove.

Psileas
10-11-2010, 08:38 AM
To the ones who claim Jordan would average 40 and manage to score 100, can you give the same predictions about Wilkins, English, K.Malone, Magic, Bird, Drexler and Mullin playing today? As an indication, note that prime Drexler (not the greatest scorer in this whole bunch) was scoring around 80% of what Jordan did and Wilkins 90%. What would their averages and career highs be?

Da_Realist
10-11-2010, 09:06 AM
If Jordan played today, he'd score just enough to lead the league and stay around 50%. He scored a lot, but he never scored as much as he could have. If he had spent less energy on other parts of the game and made scoring his one and only focus, he could have scored more even when he played. He was always more well-rounded than most give him credit for.

I think he would rather lead the league at 33 ppg, but have an impact on every other aspect of the game than to average 40 for a season. He *could* average 40 today, but I don't think he would choose to do so.

ILLsmak
10-11-2010, 04:34 PM
He didn't mean 100 literally...

81 is a lot of points... but it was meaningless. 100 was great, too, but I wonder why people use it to defend a player's skill.

To me, it's just a cool footnote... not a testament to their greatness.

-Smak

Jacks3
10-11-2010, 04:38 PM
He *could* average 40 today, but I don't think he would choose to do so.

No, he couldn't average 40. Please be serious. 36-37? Yeah. 40? lol

C'mon son.

ILLsmak
10-11-2010, 07:34 PM
No, he couldn't average 40. Please be serious. 36-37? Yeah. 40? lol

C'mon son.

I still think that's the funniest statement... especially when it comes to scoring. Maybe with rebounding because there are rebounds you can let your teammate grab... but saying "Yeah, he could score more but he chooses not to..."

RIGHT. I've heard that with a lot of people... Tim Duncan comes to mind.

Like he's taking a look at the basket and saying... nah I know I could make this shot but I'm not going to.

-Smak

Soundwave
10-11-2010, 07:44 PM
To the ones who claim Jordan would average 40 and manage to score 100, can you give the same predictions about Wilkins, English, K.Malone, Magic, Bird, Drexler and Mullin playing today? As an indication, note that prime Drexler (not the greatest scorer in this whole bunch) was scoring around 80% of what Jordan did and Wilkins 90%. What would their averages and career highs be?

I think Nique would be at 30 ppg or north of it.

Probably fairly similar for Clyde.

Basketball I.Q. does factor into it though, Jordan dominated the game from that aspect too, if he knew the rules were tilted towards wing players and teams couldn't grab/clutch/hold/push him like the Pistons/Knicks did, he would obviously exploit the f-ck outta that.