PDA

View Full Version : Did Del Harris hinder Kobe's career?

laronprofit9
10-09-2010, 04:41 PM
I am having a hard time remembering if Kobe was complaining about playing time under Del Harris during his first 2 seasons.

Anybody have any news articles or quotes, etc... from 96-98 about Harris and Kobe?

catch24
10-09-2010, 04:44 PM
I am having a hard time remembering if Kobe was complaining about playing time under Del Harris during his first 2 seasons.

Anybody have any news articles or quotes, etc... from 96-98 about Harris and Kobe?

Kobe really wasn't good enough to crack the starting 5 (or get more playing time than EJ) when Del Harris was coaching (albeit he was better than Eddie Jones, IMO, during the second half of the '98 season).

TennesseeFan
10-09-2010, 04:45 PM
http://www.porhomme.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/kobe-bryant-la-lakers-nba-championship-2009-mvp.jpg

Rake2204
10-09-2010, 04:47 PM
http://mimg.ugo.com/201001/34565/frank-drebin.jpg

laronprofit9
10-09-2010, 04:48 PM
this has nothing to do with kobe's success now.

I just want to see if there were any articles or quotes etc... from the Laker organization complaining about Del Harris not giving enough playing time for Kobe. I want to know if that was part of the reason why they fired him and had Kurt Rambis coaching in 1999.

ashbelly
10-09-2010, 04:49 PM
did harris make kobe brick 3 pointers against the Jazz in the playoffs?? :oldlol: You forgot shaq was on this team too from 1996-2000 before phil took over ?? What about eddie jones/Van exel ?? Was Kobe Better than eddie jones when he was a rookie ?? And why was shaq dominating all the offense and won 3 finals MVPS when phil took over? Was that Coach Del harris or Kurt Rambis fault too ? :facepalm ..

LEFT4DEAD
10-09-2010, 04:55 PM
No, Harris has nothing to do with Kobe's first two years. He was too young, and Jones/Nick were very good back than. You can't let player who came straight from HS starting position right away. It wasn't Harris's fault. Every coach would do the same thing.

lefthook00
10-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Kobe didn't complain, worked his a$$ off, and you know the rest of the story. Eddie Jones was more productive than Kobe at that point. Kobe was definitely electrifying when he was in games though.

I remember watching a video of rookie Kobe in practice begging for isolations on the block, saying that he could post up any guard in the league.

Myth
10-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Kobe didn't complain, worked his a$$ off, and you know the rest of the story.

Looking at it that way, Del Harris may have helped Kobe's career. Gave him something to strive for early rather than letting Kobe become complacent.

imdaman99
10-09-2010, 05:08 PM
did harris make kobe brick 3 pointers against the Jazz in the playoffs?? :oldlol:
Are you an idiot? Did you even watch the NBA back than? He clearly didn't brick those shots, he shot airballs :facepalm

ashbelly
10-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Are you an idiot? Did you even watch the NBA back than? He clearly didn't brick those shots, he shot airballs :facepalm

Bricking shots and shooting air balls are all the same to me. He was forcing the shots and just air balling them. And yes, i happened to have followed kobe's overated career, and watched many of his games on tape from his rookie years to when they started winning rings.

ashbelly
10-09-2010, 05:17 PM
No, Harris has nothing to do with Kobe's first two years. He was too young, and Jones/Nick were very good back than. You can't let player who came straight from HS starting position right away. It wasn't Harris's fault. Every coach would do the same thing.

You might want to change that to " You can't let a a player who came straight from HS get the starting position on a good team" because lebron was good to go from day one when he was drafted.

TennesseeFan
10-09-2010, 05:20 PM

LeBron, Garnett and Amare say hi

SourGrapes
10-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Bricking shots and shooting air balls are all the same to me. He was forcing the shots and just air balling them. And yes, i happened to have followed kobe's overated career, and watched many of his games on tape from his rookie years to when they started winning rings.

prove it

ashbelly
10-09-2010, 05:26 PM
prove it

Thats not neccessary for now,i don't want to be negged.. Like i said before i'm working on an article on kobe's Career. When i drop it, please support it.

Dwade305
10-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Thats not neccessary for now,i don't want to be negged.. Like i said before i'm working on an article on kobe's Career. When i drop it, please support it.
:oldlol:

About time your curry addict eating ass said something funny

HBKMGa
10-09-2010, 06:32 PM

if you really are, can you give us a little excerpt?

gts
10-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Thats not neccessary for now,i don't want to be negged.. Like i said before i'm working on an article on kobe's Career. When i drop it, please support it.it's a little late to be worrying about that now PB

wakencdukest
10-09-2010, 09:14 PM

Cleveland, Minnesota, and PHX were terrible when they got there. They had no one better to play their positions. The Lakers had Eddie Jones at shooting guard and he was playing really well at the time.

gengiskhan
10-09-2010, 09:50 PM
By skipping 2 yrs of NCAA where he'd have learned how to play without the ball & be quick on & off the ball, kobe hindered his own career !! dont blame del harris.

Shooting clutch airball against Jazz as a 2nd yr veteran is good enough of a testament to that. Kobe was never good enough as a rookie to be in Lakers starting line up.

del harris got nothing to do with it.

TennesseeFan
10-09-2010, 09:52 PM
By skipping 2 yrs of NCAA where he'd have learned how to play without the ball & be quick on & off the ball, kobe hindered his own career !! dont blame del harris.

Shooting clutch airball against Jazz as a 2nd yr veteran is good enough of a testament to that. Kobe was never good enough as a rookie to be in Lakers starting line up.

http://www.porhomme.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/kobe-bryant-la-lakers-nba-championship-2009-mvp.jpg

Man, Kobe really did hinder his career. :facepalm

gengiskhan
10-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Man, Kobe really did hinder his career. :facepalm

You still dont get it. do you. After Shaq's 3 finals MVP, it was kobe's turn to 4-peat the lakers. instead he lost 2004 finals to heavy underdog Billups. 1st lost ring & 1st lost finals MVP.

At age of 29, reg season MVP kobe bryant & Arguably the best offensive player of 2008 season, lost to heavy underdog Paul Pierce in 2008 finals. 2nd lost ring & lost finals MVP.

2 rings lost & 2 finals mvps lost. kobe can only blame himself for skipping NCAA & instead warming Lakers bench 1st 2 years.

TennesseeFan
10-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Yea he also could have been drafted by the Clippers in 98 and never would have won anything.

zizozain
10-09-2010, 10:04 PM
it's a little late to be worrying about that now PB
lol 7-8 red bars ans woried about being negged

*PB where self esteem is low*

blondie
10-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Did OP not watch basketball back then? I mean I'm only 20 and I clearly remember Kobe's first two years, Eddie Jones was our second best player back then, he was amazing and Kobe was the biggest ballhog the league had ever seen, all those pretty shots he hits with ease now he was taking back then, the only difference was he hardly ever hit them.

gts
10-09-2010, 10:18 PM
You still dont get it. do you. After Shaq's 3 finals MVP, it was kobe's turn to 4-peat the lakers. instead he lost 2004 finals to heavy underdog Billups. 1st lost ring & 1st lost finals MVP.

At age of 29, reg season MVP kobe bryant & Arguably the best offensive player of 2008 season, lost to heavy underdog Paul Pierce in 2008 finals. 2nd lost ring & lost finals MVP.

2 rings lost & 2 finals mvps lost. kobe can only blame himself for skipping NCAA & instead warming Lakers bench 1st 2 years.you're trying way too hard to make a point that isn't there

TryToBeUnbias
10-09-2010, 10:26 PM
to actually answer the OP's question .. I dont recall reading/hearing anything about Kobe having issues with his playing time.

gengiskhan
10-09-2010, 10:32 PM
you're trying way too hard to make a point that isn't there

really !! college education really helps. what part of being veteran finalists with shaq loosing 2 mvps to 1st timers like billups & pierce do you not get.

Jacks3
10-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Yea he also could have been drafted by the Clippers in 98 and never would have won anything.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

SixthMan
10-09-2010, 11:41 PM
did harris make kobe brick 3 pointers against the Jazz in the playoffs?? :oldlol: You forgot shaq was on this team too from 1996-2000 before phil took over ?? What about eddie jones/Van exel ?? Was Kobe Better than eddie jones when he was a rookie ?? And why was shaq dominating all the offense and won 3 finals MVPS when phil took over? Was that Coach Del harris or Kurt Rambis fault too ? :facepalm ..

General basketball knowledge: an airball is not a brick. You lost me after that , just saying,,,

laronprofit9
10-10-2010, 01:28 AM
to actually answer the OP's question .. I dont recall reading/hearing anything about Kobe having issues with his playing time.

Ya, for some reason I was thinking there was an issue, but that is probably the reason why I haven't been able to find an article on it.

Thanks.

KoRn
10-10-2010, 02:54 AM
:oldlol:

About time your curry addict eating ass said something funny

that's racists. but it's ok. is it a fact this dipshit is indian?

KoRn
10-10-2010, 03:00 AM
Did OP not watch basketball back then? I mean I'm only 20 and I clearly remember Kobe's first two years, Eddie Jones was our second best player back then, he was amazing and Kobe was the biggest ballhog the league had ever seen, all those pretty shots he hits with ease now he was taking back then, the only difference was he hardly ever hit them.

eddie jones was better back then, but he was afraid to shot the ball in the clutch. i don't trust him in the playoffs, neither did shaq. i would give nick van exel the green light.

taucesays
10-10-2010, 03:13 AM
General basketball knowledge: an airball is not a brick. You lost me after that , just saying,,,

Srsly. That's like pretending there's no difference between a 3 and an and-1

ShaqAttack3234
10-10-2010, 05:19 AM
eddie jones was better back then, but he was afraid to shot the ball in the clutch. i don't trust him in the playoffs, neither did shaq. i would give nick van exel the green light.

You're right about Jones, butVan Exel was a case of style over substance. He was a fun player to watch, but he was horrible in the playoffs with the Lakers with the exception of '95. Nick shot under 30% in the Lakers first round loss to Houston in '96, 38% in the '97 playoffs and 33% in the '98 playoffs, even worse is that he shot 24% in the '98 WCF.

code green
10-10-2010, 02:32 PM

yeah, wouldn't want to damage that sterling reputation you have here :rolleyes:

Glide2keva
10-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Those guys didn't go to good teams with storied histories. Amare but that's it it of that list.

Kobe came to a good team with a good back court that was already established.

This is just another attempt to make another excuse for Kobe.

Wukillabeez78
10-10-2010, 08:48 PM

The shots Kobe took and air balled weren't forced shots. They were shots taken with the clock running down under heavy duress because other players were scared to shoot. Shaq said himself that Kobe was the only player out there who wasn't scared to take those shots.

The 1st air ball was at the end of regulation and Kobe just short armed the ball. Wasn't a force at all, the play was drawn up for Kobe to do just what he did (go one on one and try to win the game), he just blew the shot. Says a lot about what the coach thought about Kobe because on a team with Eddie Jones and Nick Van Exel the final play was called for a rookie.

On the 2nd air ball Van Exel executes a perfect shot fake and has an open shot after Stockton bites hard on it. Nick leaves his feet to take the open jumper but for some reason doesn't take it (maybe his nuts tightened up on him) and passes to Kobe who takes an open 3 pointer which he air balls.

On the 3rd air ball Van Exel is unable to get the ball to Eddie Jones (who couldn't seem to get open despite Jeff Hornacek guarding him). Van Exel then again passes to Kobe with less than 10 seconds left on the shot clock. Kobe executes a move to create a bit of space and misses another 3 pointer.

4th air ball Van Exel once again passes to Kobe with 7 seconds left in overtime trailing by three. Kobe take the 3 and misses again. On this play Kobe should made the extra pass to Eddie Jones who was open outside of the 3 point line after his defender left him to jump at Kobe as he shot.

After looking at the 4 shots only one (the 4th one) could be considered to be a forced shot. On the 1st the play was for Kobe to win or lose (obviously Del Harris felt Kobe was the best option to take the shot). The Jazz must have felt the same way because they put their best perimeter defender (Byron Russell) on Kobe while choosing to put Hornacek on Jones. I'm sure they did this because even at this point it was clear that Kobe was better than Jones at creating his own shot (something Jones always struggled to do). The 2nd shot was one Van Exel should have taken but didn't want for whatever reason even though he was wide open and had a higher percentage shot (being closer to the basket) than Kobe was. On the 3rd shot no one else could get open and Kobe ended up taking a shot with the shot clock running down after receiving the ball from Van Exel.

My take on this game would be similar to what Shaq said. Kobe was a rookie out there with a lot of veterans. Van Exel wasn't being aggressive and Jones wasn't either. Jones couldn't even touch the ball because he was being blanketed by a player (Hornacek) who was not noted for his defensive. Kobe took the shots that no one else was willing or available to take. No one else stepped up. Shaq saw this (he had a good view from the bench after fouling out like he often did). Kobe couldn't bail them out (not many rookies are able to bail out there teams in the playoffs not named Magic Johnson). Kobe would be able to bail his team out as a veteran against teams like the Blazers and Kings with Shaq again being a spectator after fouling out.

I never heard of Kobe complaining about playing time under Del Harris. He accepted his role and worked hard to improve. He clearly didn't shoot well as a rookie in the final game against a veteran playoff team but his teammates didn't play that well either. Shaq played good (9-17) for 23 points but his two biggest shortcomings (free throws and fouling out of games) cost his team as he missed 4 free throws and wasn't there for his team due to his inability to avoid foul trouble. Van Exel was having a very good game (also 9-17) for 26 points but for some inexplicable reason despite shooting well he passed up at least one open shot in the closing minutes. Eddie Jones and Kobe Bryant both had subpar games with each having identical numbers (4-14 for 11 points). Elden Campbell was an atrocious 1-13 for 6 points. The bottom line is the Lakers lost this particular game because their best player (Shaq) fouled out as he often did and the team at that point wasn't good enough to overcome his absence. Eventually the team would be able to win games with Shaq in foul trouble because Kobe was able to step up.

Norcaliblunt
10-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Does anybody else think that if the lakers had kept Jones at the 3 and Kobe at the 2 for longer would've have been sick.

G-Funk
10-11-2010, 11:55 AM

YOU WERE 7 YEARS OLD

Andrei89
10-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Kobe was not a good player in his first 2 years.

It is his work ethic and tons of practice in the gym which made him a star player.

praneel
10-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Does anybody else think that if the lakers had kept Jones at the 3 and Kobe at the 2 for longer would've have been sick.

I was thinking something of that sort.

Jackson came in a year and a half after Jones was dealt, and he could have used Kobe and Eddie as the starting backcourt. That would have been sick. But They got Ron Harper to play point so all worked out.

But LA needed a floor spacing shooter, enter Glen Rice, aka GMoney because he was money from 3.

And the finances wouldn't work. Jones got a fat deal from Charlotte soon after.

The one thing I didn't get was why was Elden Campbell dealt in that deal? Jones was better than Rice, and Campbell was better than Reid?

The only thing I can think of is Rice wanting to keep #41, which Elden wore in his Laker days.

Answer to the OP, no Dell Harris did not hinder Kobe. Kobe was a young gun out to prove his worth. Kobe played the 3 a little under Del. Its not like Kobe didn't try to get more time, and its not like Harris screwed Kobe.

ashbelly
10-11-2010, 02:20 PM
yeah, wouldn't want to damage that sterling reputation you have here :rolleyes:

ME >>>> Your existence. Crawl back in the hole you came from.

KoRn
10-11-2010, 02:37 PM
You're right about Jones, butVan Exel was a case of style over substance. He was a fun player to watch, but he was horrible in the playoffs with the Lakers with the exception of '95. Nick shot under 30% in the Lakers first round loss to Houston in '96, 38% in the '97 playoffs and 33% in the '98 playoffs, even worse is that he shot 24% in the '98 WCF.

all true, but i rather have nick shoot the ball in the closing minutes.

TryToBeUnbias
10-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Kobe was not a good player in his first 2 years.

It is his work ethic and tons of practice in the gym which made him a star player.
:facepalm yeah, he kinda was

Droid101
10-11-2010, 04:40 PM
ME >>>> Your existence. Crawl back in the hole you came from.
Er, no. Everybody hates and/or laughs at your bandwagon trolly ass.

YOU DA WORSSS