PDA

View Full Version : No one is watching Once Brothers?

PowerGlove
10-12-2010, 09:06 PM
The ESPN 30 for 30 documentary about Drazen Petrovic and Vlade Divac?

NoGunzJustSkillz
10-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Man, i keep forgetting about these. I really wanted to see the Tyson/Tupac one.

OnceInADECADE
10-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Man, i keep forgetting about these. I really wanted to see the Tyson/Tupac one.

that 1 was sick

chips93
10-12-2010, 09:14 PM
is there anywhere to watch em online for free? the past ones i mean ,i really wanna see the iverson one

PowerGlove
10-12-2010, 09:14 PM
that 1 was sick
except for the poets.:oldlol:

That one was good. I like this one as well.:cry: This shit is sad. They showed Drazen abusing MJ for a minute.

NoGunzJustSkillz
10-12-2010, 09:15 PM
is there anywhere to watch em online for free? the past ones i mean ,i really wanna see the iverson one
honestly i looked everywhere for the one night in vegas one and couldnt find it anywhere online. good luck tho..

anyways if anybody wants to see some miners get rescued live;

miners getting rescued live (http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=stream2&hpt=C1)

PowerGlove
10-12-2010, 09:15 PM
honestly i looked everywhere for the one night in vegas one and couldnt find it anywhere online. good luck tho..
I watched on youtube. It should still be up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUxJrp39vZU

Bano114
10-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Once Brothers is very good so far. Very interesting story.

alwaysunny
10-12-2010, 09:36 PM
I'll admit I got a little teary after watching it. That was one of the best I've seen.

Showtime
10-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Man, this one was a good one. The story of the Yugoslavian national team and relationships strained and torn apart by the civil war which split apart the nation. It focused in on Vlade Divac and Drazen Petrovic. The aspects of regret, things left unspoken and things yet to be which was ended with a premature death really hit home. It's also sad to see peoples so divided still to this day due to national conflict. I hope we can all learn some lessons from hearing their stories.

Maga_1
10-13-2010, 03:08 AM
Youtubr got the docs

NoGunzJustSkillz
10-13-2010, 11:07 PM
ESPN 30 For 30 - Once Brothers Part 1/8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlOWJ9aRABs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeQmPk33Mls

sundizz
10-14-2010, 10:16 AM
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Wow..that was amazing. I think on one level we see these people as just NBA players and objectify them, and to see the realness of these players and the insight into their lives was emotional and compelling.

Vlade Divac is a class act. Athletes are put in such a compromising situation when politics are involved; there is no right or wrong they can do.

PowerGlove
10-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Can you imagine the guilt Vlade had?

He still had a sense of humor during the documentary which was amazing. I lol'ed when he mention he was traded for some kid name Kobe.:oldlol: I used to dislike his flopping ways, but I am a huge Vlade fan now.

PaPaK
10-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Can you imagine the guilt Vlade had?

He still had a sense of humor during the documentary which was amazing. I lol'ed when he mention he was traded for some kid name Kobe.:oldlol: I used to dislike his flopping ways, but I am a huge Vlade fan now.
why would vlade have any guilt? i mean it was obvious that he was sad about everything that happened but he was not the one to turn his back on drazen, it was the other way around. dont get me wrong, im not blaming drazen either coz the situation was really ****ed up but yeh, vlade has nothing to feel guilty about, he is a as genuinely good person as they come.. this doco was awesome, even tho i knew all this before i watched it im glad people in the USA got a chance to see it

PowerGlove
10-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Dude said he felt guilty.:oldlol:

PaPaK
10-14-2010, 12:13 PM
dont remember it, but i remember he tried to make peace with drazen so not sure what he has to feel guilty about.. he said it was a big burden on him

PowerGlove
10-14-2010, 12:16 PM
I'm talking about the flag thing.

PaPaK
10-14-2010, 12:18 PM
meh, i wouldve done the same thing

NoGunzJustSkillz
10-14-2010, 12:26 PM
toni kukoc sounded like a texan in the doc.

Golf now in Kukoc's blood
Former Bull spends as much time on the course as he can
June 12, 2010|By Teddy Greenstein | ON COLLEGES, ON GOLF
Not to imply that Toni Kukoc has a hard-core golf addiction, but …

• He considered buying an HDTV simply to enhance the Masters, and his wife once asked him: "Why do we need 200 channels? All you ever do is watch ESPN and the Golf Channel."

• He named his putter "Black Betty" and joked that he paid "a million dollars" for his new driver, a TaylorMade R9 "SUPERDEEP" that he named "Black Mamba."

OnceInADECADE
10-14-2010, 08:28 PM
except for the poets.:oldlol:

That one was good. I like this one as well.:cry: This shit is sad. They showed Drazen abusing MJ for a minute.

The poet was sick what do u mean bro?

The first one was sick, it came from his heart:applause: :applause:

Kobe8
10-14-2010, 08:33 PM
I watched this earlier ... RIP Drazen

Maga_1
10-14-2010, 08:38 PM
it's on youtube already?

catch24
10-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Fantastic documentary, watched it yesterday. Petrovic was incredible and definitely was on his way up (came off averaging 22ppg on 50%). Won't even lie, I almost got teary eyed when Divac went to his grave.

Must watch for sure.

PowerGlove
10-14-2010, 08:49 PM
I was tearing up when he was giving MJ buckets.:oldlol: That was greatness. I dont care how lucky you are, exhausting the GOAT and dropping 40 him takes an immense amount of talent and skill and to not see him progress is saddening.

Al Thornton
10-14-2010, 08:57 PM
really good. but the one about colombian soccer/pablo escobar is still by far the best. one of the greatest documentaries i've ever seen.

Psych0
10-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Definitely the best documentary so far. A sad story about the end of a friendship because of wrong political decisions. There is not much to say about their relationship during the war, but I believe it was hard for Divac not to be able to set things straight with his lost friend. Not to be able to apologize, or just convince Dra

Thorpesaurous
10-15-2010, 06:03 PM
If you like basketball, this is a must watch. Even outside of the heartbreaking story, the narative of this sort of golden generation growing up together in the youth leagues, watching each others box scores in their pro leagues. The naivity of their families, not even really knowing what the NBA was. Vlade's awe schucks approach to the draft process. The whole thing was incredible. And all set against this unfortunate political backdrop, and a terrible accident that prevented any real resolution. It was brutal.

But the basketball ... absolutely beautifull. I got goosebumps watching these kids run backdoors and throwing touch pass on top touch pass against NBA competition in pre season games, and in national championships. What a pretty team to watch. Think about it, one of the best passing bigs of all time, A near seven foot small forward / point forward in Kukoc, and Drazen a relentless runner without the ball cutting all the time, and a willing facillitator who drew tons of attention, and rightfully so. And then a 20/10 NBA PF in Dino Radja just for filler as the fourth option. And all of them could shoot well enough to stretch the floor. I wish I was able to watch more of their games. That was such pretty basketball.

Showtime
10-15-2010, 06:11 PM
If you like basketball, this is a must watch. Even outside of the heartbreaking story, the narative of this sort of golden generation growing up together in the youth leagues, watching each others box scores in their pro leagues. The naivity of their families, not even really knowing what the NBA was. Vlade's awe schucks approach to the draft process. The whole thing was incredible. And all set against this unfortunate political backdrop, and a terrible accident that prevented any real resolution. It was brutal.

But the basketball ... absolutely beautifull. I got goosebumps watching these kids run backdoors and throwing touch pass on top touch pass against NBA competition in pre season games, and in national championships. What a pretty team to watch. Think about it, one of the best passing bigs of all time, A near seven foot small forward / point forward in Kukoc, and Drazen a relentless runner without the ball cutting all the time, and a willing facillitator who drew tons of attention, and rightfully so. And then a 20/10 NBA PF in Dino Radja just for filler as the fourth option. And all of them could shoot well enough to stretch the floor. I wish I was able to watch more of their games. That was such pretty basketball.
As vlade said, if yugoslavia didn't break up and they kept playing together, they could have possibly beaten the dream team and been the best international team in the late 80's and early 90's.

Knoe Itawl
10-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Great, great documentary. What a sad story. The funeral with Drazen was really gut wrenching.

Psych0
10-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Who says Vlade didn't support the Serbian politics of the day? Serbs weren't the ones trying to break the country apart. Croats were. If anything, Vlade didn't support the Croatian politics of the day.

Just because the guy is civil and wants to be friends despite political differences you automatically assume Vlade is a self-hating Serb and Drazen is some kind of victim?

Drazen's the one that bitched out and turned his back on his friends, not Vlade. Drazen's the one that bought into hateful, secessionist politics, not Vlade. You're trying to make Drazen a victim when in reality he's far from it.
Brush up your history, mate!

The goal of Serbian politics of those days was not to save Yugoslavia, but to create a Major Serbia. A county which would have include whole Bosnia and half of Croatia within it. It’s like the current Mexican politics is to annex Florida, California, Texas and some other southern states within Mexico. With military force, of course.
Dražen’s reaction was normal one. If your friend’s country is attacking yours, destroying your cities, murdering your co-citizens, and raping your women at least what you’d expect from him is a conviction that he does not support that. Otherwise, your friendship is over. It’s war out there, for God’s sake...

The documentary is historically incorrect (an approximate historical comparison would be that US and Japan were equally to blame for WWII conflict, even thou Pearl Harbor was a military base and Serbians were attacking civil targets, mostly cities), but a good personal story.
The fact that it’s historically incorrect makes harder for guys who don’t know European history to imagine situation in which Dražen, and Croatia were.

I would appreciate not to delete this post because it has nothing with politics, just with history which is very important to understand their relation and he circumstances under which their friendship broke up.

Maga_1
10-15-2010, 06:55 PM
I need to see this

Ketchup
10-15-2010, 07:00 PM
3 stars? Some one was mad.

This docu was amazing.

BallPhunk
10-15-2010, 07:41 PM
This was one of the best so far in the series. The Escobar doc was very good. The Miami and Iverson stories were also top notch.

The Tyson/Tupac was terrible in relation to some of the others. Contrived with little new info. I did find some of the stories about who visited them in jail to be interesting.

PaPaK
10-17-2010, 02:04 AM
[QUOTE=Psych0]Brush up your history, mate!

The goal of Serbian politics of those days was not to save Yugoslavia, but to create a Major Serbia. A county which would have include whole Bosnia and half of Croatia within it. It

Jack
10-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Jebem li ti mater papče i tvojoj velikoj srbiji.

Srbija do tokija a sad ko nokija, sve manja i sve tanja!

The documentary is pure bullshiat. Learn the facts first and then give ur input.

Psych0
10-17-2010, 05:51 PM
this is complete bullshit and propaganda, the croats were stirring up shit in yugoslavia in the 70's too looong before milosevic, but tito put them into their place.

i would like to remind you that croatia didnt have the right to break away according to yugoslavian constitution. comparison with usa and japan is ridiculos as the conflict in croatia was a CIVIL WAR, fought between the local serbs and croats from croatia.. for everyone thats interested in the topic should watch a few unbias documentaries such as "yugoslavia: the war that couldve been avoided" and the new one thats coming out "the weight of chains".

as for drazen, altho he was a really good player i cant say he was a good man, ignoring his childhood friend because of politics that divac had nothing to do with.. if it was me id tell him to go **** himself after the first time he rejected to talk things over. just shows how good of a man divac is
Yes, the Croats were trying to break away from Yugoslavia in 70is and Tito

PaPaK
10-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Jebem li ti mater papče i tvojoj velikoj srbiji.

Srbija do tokija a sad ko nokija, sve manja i sve tanja!

The documentary is pure bullshiat. Learn the facts first and then give ur input.
jebem ti mamicu ustasku i sestru u cmarcinu, i ovako mala je opet veca od hrvatske, i drzimo pola bosne (u slucaju da si balija). i bolji smo u basketu pickice

PaPaK
10-18-2010, 12:54 AM
Yes, the Croats were trying to break away from Yugoslavia in 70is and Tito ”put them into their place“, but he also gave them legal right to separate if they wanted. To them, as well to any other of the six republics. Croats just decided to use that legal right in the 90is after the fall of the Berlin wall and after the fall of communism. As well as Czechs and Slovaks were, and Ukrainians and other states of former USSR from Russia.
The Meeting at Gazimestan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gazimestan_speech) just prove to them the way in which Serbian politics of those days was going. The WWII part is ridiculous and I won’t licitate with numbers. You say Jasenovac, I say Bleiberg. Smart ones would call it even.

Croatia had every legal right to break away according to Yugoslav Constitution and decided to use that right. Need I to remind you that 94 percent of people living in Croatia were for independence?!
The comparison with Japan is somewhat incorrect, I admit. But that was not a civil war because Serbian tanks were from Yugoslav People Army (JNA), those generals were official generals of JNA, the weaponry was official weaponry of JNA and the JNA was under Serbian (Milošević’s, the president of Serbia) control, and during and after 1991. it was official Serbian army because generals and soldiers of any other nationality had abandoned her as they didn’t want to shoot at their former co-citizens. Most Serbs didn’t seam to have that problem. It was aggression of one independent state at others (Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia).

Although this documentary is meant to be a kind of homage to great Yugoslav generation in the late 80is it is historically incorrect. It completely avoids EC in 1991. When Dražen Petrović and Stojko (Stojan) Vranković decided they won’t play for Yugoslavia because their soldiers of Serbian nationality were shooting at Croatia. It avoids the finale of that competition when Jure Zdovc, a great Slovenian playmaker decided he won’t play in the gold medal game because JNA, Yugoslav army composed mainly of Serbs was attacking Slovenia.
The documentary is also incorrect in the sport side because it only mentions five great player of that generation (Divac, Petrović, Kukoč, Rađa, Paspalj) when that generation had 12 amazing individuals. The members of that team were, all European greats: Dražen Petrović, Velimir Perasović, Zoran Čutura, Toni Kukoč, Žarko Paspalj, Jure Zdovc, Željko Obradović, Arijan Komazec, Vlade Divac, Zoran Savić, Radisav Ćurčić, Zoran Jovanović (head coach: Dušan Ivković).
croatia only had a legal right to separate in case that the local serbs agree to it too, as they were one of the 2 conctitutional peoples of the republic of croatia, no decision could be made by just croats. what the croats did and their ustasa leader franjo tudjman was, they removed the serbs from the constitution and then declared independence, all while deporting and killing the local serbs. comparisons to other countries are irrelevant, all you need to look at is the yugoslavian constitution and thats it. people just watch the documentaries. even the professor in the drzaen/divac doco says that all sides were to blame and not just the serbs. who will you rather trust, some random on the message borad or a college professor from the doco :D

comparing jasenovac to bleiburg is ridiculous, jasenovac was a concetration camp like Auschwitz where croats killed 500.000 serbian civilians! while bleiburg was a place where communist army (both serb and croatian) killed off the nazi traitors (mostly croatian but some serbs as well), learn your history buddy. and it was a civil war mate, first it was the civil war in yugoslavia, and after a while when croatia started gettin recognized by western powers (for reasons im not gonna go into) it was only between the local serbs and croats as yugoslav peoples army left sometime in 1992, the war lasted till 1995, so after that it was a croatian civil war. im sure they teach it different in croatia tho, hence the guy in the doco calling divac a "chetnik", while when djordjevic had his farewell game in belgrade and the croatian players came (radja, kukoc, etc.) everyone was cheering for them.

ill agree with you about the basketball side of things, all 12 players were great and even the guys who came up after that in danilovic and djordjevic were awesome too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usta%C5%A1e

PaPaK
10-18-2010, 01:00 AM
by the way i love it how the doco showed the croats leaving the medal ceremony at eurobasket in 1995, yugoslavia/serbia was 1st and croatia was 3rd, they left the podium before the champions anthem would be played :D everyone got a chance to see their sportsmanship. funny thing is, after that bronze in 1995 croatia never won a medal again while serbia won heaps with divac paspalj djordjevic danilovic and the new generation of players in stojakovic bodiroga jaric gurovic etc. serbia won 2 world championship gold medals, 3 eurobasket golds, 1 silver and 1 bronze and one olympic bronze since. divine justice much? :bowdown: :oldlol: :banana:

donald_trump
10-18-2010, 01:09 AM
you guys are so sad.

PaPaK
10-18-2010, 01:25 AM
it is pretty sad. im not arguing over this shit any more, not like anyone is gonna change the opinion of the other side anyway.

G-train
11-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Just watched this, it was incredible.

Biddy77
11-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Watched it. Loved it.

IGOTGAME
10-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Vlade was a hell of a prospect liking at this tape.

Timmy D for MVP
10-29-2012, 05:13 PM
I own Once Brothers.

The best 30 for 30 of the bunch.

Derka
10-29-2012, 06:10 PM
I've watched all the NBA-centered 30-for-30's.

Once Brothers was heartbreaking. Like...really sad. I have an attachment to Unguarded because it deals with a dude I actually know and is about my hometown...a hometown I still live in. The Reggie Miller/Knicks flick was terrific and quite funny. The Len Bias film was great.

Wasn't too hot the Iverson one, though.

Clippersfan86
10-29-2012, 06:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjkNUc-tmM4

Full version, good quality (non HD). I have never seen this show, about to watch now, sounds incredible. I even saw a tweet from a Clippers writer saying "The one and only thing ESPN ever got right was the show 30 for 30".

Clippersfan86
10-29-2012, 07:39 PM
So heartbreaking... Made me cry. Such an amazing and interesting basketball story. Nets fans did Drazen's statue get moved to Brooklyn?

Bano114
10-29-2012, 08:14 PM
I own Once Brothers.

The best 30 for 30 of the bunch.

Hands down.

bd#1pguard
10-29-2012, 08:20 PM
jebem ti mamicu ustasku i sestru u cmarcinu, i ovako mala je opet veca od hrvatske, i drzimo pola bosne (u slucaju da si balija). i bolji smo u basketu pickice

saseko bi ti sva tri prsta picketino jedna i upotrebijo bi ta tri prste da hranim tvoju djecu cetnicku. Kakav je ovaj svijet sto je stvorijo vasu cetnicku naciju bog vas jebo u usta

plowking
10-29-2012, 08:35 PM
How typical.

Come into this thread and you see Serbs and Croats fighting, swearing at each other.