PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Explain to me the Enes Kanter Situation?

KG215
10-16-2010, 12:10 AM
I know he's going to be allowed to play. I'm sorry if I've missed a thread on here earlier that explains why, but I was gone all summer long, and saw tonight on ESPN a little highlight of him entering Kentucky's MM Undertaker style.

I just don't understand how a player that was paid to pay professionally (anywhere) can be eligible to play college basketball in the states. How is that any different than a top American high schooler going overseas (ala Brandon Jennings) after their senior year of high school, playing a year or two over there while getting paid, and then deciding to come play college basketball for another year or two before going to the NBA? I know that is an extreme example and likely won't ever happen, but still.

YAH trick YAH
10-16-2010, 12:53 AM
Has it been confirmed he will play or are you just assuming that because it's the NCAA and Calipari?

Kanter and Kentucky are trying to claim the money he was paid was for living expenses for him and his family since they moved to go play with that team, not an actual salary. Supposedly Euro players are allowed to do that under NCAA guidelines which is a complete joke. He was paid..period..that's all that should matter but I'm sure he'll squirm out of it somehow.

MMKM
10-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Not only was he paid to play but he was living with an agent in Simi Valley CA when he attended Stoneridge Prep. Dirty.

Roy Munson
10-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Apparently he tried to go to Oak Hill Academy and they even turned him down because he wasn't an amateur. I guess they have tougher admissions than Kentucky. :oldlol:

Also, last weekend I was watching a bit of the midnight madness coverage on ESPNU and they were discussing this case and Jay Bilas said something to the effect that the NCAA "should clear him because even if he took money overseas he came to America to BE A STUDENT(!) and that's all he was worried about because he's a lottery pick either way". :oldlol: Are you serious Bilas?!?

Roy Munson
10-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Has it been confirmed he will play or are you just assuming that because it's the NCAA and Calipari?

Kanter and Kentucky are trying to claim the money he was paid was for living expenses for him and his family since they moved to go play with that team, not an actual salary. Supposedly Euro players are allowed to do that under NCAA guidelines which is a complete joke. He was paid..period..that's all that should matter but I'm sure he'll squirm out of it somehow.

According to the report, the money he was making was something like 7 or 8 times the amount of the average income in Turkey. He was making a little more than what was needed to get by.

KG215
10-20-2010, 10:17 PM
The ESPN article on this I read when I googled it made it out that Kanter was the victim in this whole situation, even if he was going to be cleared to play, because he will still face a possible 10 game suspension.

How is he the victim? I'm sorry, but I don't have a lot of sympathy for a kid that has already played in a professional league and got paid for it and then wants to come play college basketball against amateurs who are there by making it the right way....well some of them anyway.

TheGame414
10-21-2010, 10:38 PM
I haven't kept up with the situation in recent weeks, but I find it absurd that it's even a possibility that he'd be allowed to play.

ukfan22
10-22-2010, 12:09 AM
You are all taking what the Turkish team says at face value, as if they have no incentive to exaggerate or lie. Enes Kanter's father is a doctor who kept meticulous records of his own, because he wished to eventually bring him to America to play college basketball. They moved here nearly two years ago, and Enes went to an American high school for his entire Senior year, and has now been at UK and in classes for nearly four months now. Why would he do all that if he knew he got paid and would never play college basketball? Why would he be deliberately wasting not only Kentucky's, but his own time? He could still be there, making money as a Turkish pro. But he turned down their contract offer and came to America. Here's a Mike Decourcey article making basically the same point.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/feed/2010-09/enes-kanter/story/calipari-kanter-decision-expected-in-10-14-days

The system is Europe is different. There are no AAU or High School teams. Kanter is an elite prospect and has been in the club system for a while. That's what you do if you are good at basketball and live in Europe. He and his family maintain he did not receive a salary, only "living expenses". It's up to the NCAA to decide if those expenses were excessive.

There's a reason most believe he will eventually be cleared to play.

TheGame414
10-22-2010, 12:21 AM
Logic and reasoning says he should have a better chance of main eventing Wrestlemania XXVII against The Undertaker than playing college basketball in the United States, but logic and reasoning don't always play a part.

I'm just glad I cheer for a team where I don't have to worry if my recruits are eligible players or ineligible professionals, and even if they are cleared to play, if my season is going to be wiped off the record books because of my coaching staff's actions.

But maybe that's just me.

ukfan22
10-22-2010, 12:47 AM
Then why will he likely end up playing? Is Cal so evil and devious he can make the NCAA bend to his will and clear a "professional" player? That must be it.

And I don't spend too much time worrying about that other stuff, I stay here in the non-hypothetical world.

KG215
10-22-2010, 03:09 AM
And I don't spend too much time worrying about that other stuff, I stay here in the non-hypothetical world.

Yes, and is it Calipari's squeaky clean record that allows you to do so?

ukfan22
10-22-2010, 04:22 AM
Yes, and is it Calipari's squeaky clean record that allows you to do so?

John Calipari has no NCAA violations on his record.

KG215
10-22-2010, 04:29 PM

Ok, I'm convinced then. Calipari is a by the book coach and there's not a thing shady about him.

The Poet
10-22-2010, 11:56 PM

He's also has no Final Four or National Runner up records either.

Maga_1
10-23-2010, 05:32 AM
:roll: ups

TheGame414
10-23-2010, 09:20 AM
For.

The.

Win.

ukfan22
10-23-2010, 09:43 PM
People are so butthurt about Cal it's hilarious. ESPECIALLY Illinios fans, for some reason. It's okay, I remember what it's like to have a coach who can't recruit. Keep doing things "the right way", maybe you can make the tournament in consecutive years.

Your hatred speaks volumes about the REAL reason you think Kanter shouldn't play. If he was at Texas or Arizona or something, no one would be all up in arms, here or at the New York Times.

KG215
10-24-2010, 02:13 AM
People are so butthurt about Cal it's hilarious. ESPECIALLY Illinios fans, for some reason. It's okay, I remember what it's like to have a coach who can't recruit. Keep doing things "the right way", maybe you can make the tournament in consecutive years.

Your hatred speaks volumes about the REAL reason you think Kanter shouldn't play. If he was at Texas or Arizona or something, no one would be all up in arms, here or at the New York Times.

I'm confused, are you saying Bruce Weber can't coach or recruit? Because he has a +700 in % at Illinois and has proven to be a pretty damn good recruiter. And he'd doing it all with out any cloud of suspicion surrounding him. And Illinois basketball has been much more relevant than Kentucky basketball this past decade, but good try.

And if Kanter was going to Texas then I would be up in arms to some extent because Rick Barnes isn't the cleanest recruiter out there.

You're coming off like the majority of Kentucky fans, and that's not a good thing. You got so sock of losing and underachieving by Kentucky standards, that you're willing to almost completely ignore all the recruiting violations and scandal that's been left in Calipari's wake as he left a school for greener pastures. He's "made" it to two Final Fours, both of which have been erased, and he's not exactly off to the cleanest start at Kentucky.

People are a up in arms partly because it's Kentucky and Calipari, but most knowledgeable college basketball fans are upset about it because, whether or not it was intentional, Kanter has been paid to play professional basketball in the past which shouldn't allow him to play American college basketball.

ukfan22
10-24-2010, 03:41 AM
Calipari has no recruiting violations. None.

As for "knowledgeable college basketball fans", I doubt you are more knowledgeable about the Kanter case, and eligibility in general than the NCAA. They will review all the facts from the case and make a decision, one that most right now expect to be that he will play, albeit after a small suspension. A "knowledgeable college basketball fan" should know that the NCAA has recently passed rule changes which make it easier on kids coming from Europe and the club system to play college ball in America. They clearly understand that the way they do things over there is different and shouldn't necessarily prevent a kid from playing NCAA basketball. And again, the Kanter family has denied receiving a salary, only money for expenses, which again according to the NCAA, would not necessarily render him ineligible.

And yes, we were sick of losing, both on the court and on the recruiting trail. So when Tubby's seat got too hot, and the (valid) criticism became too much and he bolted. Then we had to listen to idiots ramble on about how Kentucky fans were racist and unrealistic. So you see, we are used to people running their mouth when they don't really know what they are talking about.

And Illinois basketball has not, nor will it ever be more relevant than Kentucky basketball.

KG215
10-24-2010, 04:14 AM
Calipari has no recruiting violations. None.

As for "knowledgeable college basketball fans", I doubt you are more knowledgeable about the Kanter case, and eligibility in general than the NCAA. They will review all the facts from the case and make a decision, one that most right now expect to be that he will play, albeit after a small suspension. A "knowledgeable college basketball fan" should know that the NCAA has recently passed rule changes which make it easier on kids coming from Europe and the club system to play college ball in America. They clearly understand that the way they do things over there is different and shouldn't necessarily prevent a kid from playing NCAA basketball. And again, the Kanter family has denied receiving a salary, only money for expenses, which again according to the NCAA, would not necessarily render him ineligible.

And yes, we were sick of losing, both on the court and on the recruiting trail. So when Tubby's seat got too hot, and the (valid) criticism became too much and he bolted. Then we had to listen to idiots ramble on about how Kentucky fans were racist and unrealistic. So you see, we are used to people running their mouth when they don't really know what they are talking about.

And Illinois basketball has not, nor will it ever be more relevant than Kentucky basketball.

So tell me this, do you actually think Calipari is a "clean" recruiter and does things the "right" way? If you truly believe that then you are beyond help.

And yes, for the past 10 years, Illinois basketball has been more successful, and thus more relevant to the college basketball landscape than Kentucky. I hate to break it to you, but in their 10+ years of being only a shadow of what they once were, Kentucky's popularity and coolness, or whatever it was they had going for them in the 90's, faded.

Only until Calipari arrived did they start pulling in all these top recruits. And coincidentally (or not?) he's getting 3-5 of the top 25-30 recruits in each class, all of whom seem to have no aspirations of even attempting to get their college degree, and making Kentucky (or whatever university Calipari is coaching at) a one year sideshow to showcase their talents for the next level. Whether he is doing so by following all the rules or not is beside the point in my eyes. Even if he is landing all of these recruits by not breaking or bending any rules, it still comes off as very questionable to non-Kentucky college hoops fans. And that leads to fans have almost zero respect for Calipari which leads them to having basically zero respect for Kentucky. Just like many college basketball fans strongly disliked the Memphis basketball proram when he was there.

ukfan22
10-24-2010, 05:09 AM
Calipari is the best recruiter in country, and he is now at the greatest program with the greatest fan support and resources in college basketball. He simply does not need to cheat. Much like UNC a few years ago and Duke at the beginning of the last decade, he gets whoever he wants. Literally.

So yes, of course I believe he is clean. And I will continue to do so unless proven otherwise. All you have is innuendo, that and apparent incredulity that no coach could be that good a recruiter.

As for the one and done thing, it was ONE YEAR. I love how people are trying to use that as proof that it will always be that way, just because he has recruited more highly ranked players (what is he supposed to be doing?). Quite frankly, it's ridiculous that Orton or Bledsoe got drafted in the first round, but hey, how can you blame Calipari? They all went first round. I would love a baseball-type rule, allowing kids to go straight out of HS, and if you to to school you have to stay for two years. Even then, Cal would get the best players that go to school.

disco
10-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Like someone already explained, in Europe basketball isn't tied to the school system and pro clubs have their own youth teams. The most promising young players get to play and practice with the first team at very young age. They don't make a decision "to go pro", they do that by default.

I'm not commenting on should Kanter be cleared to play in NCAA or not, just want to point out he's not a crook trying to abuse the system. If his family brought him to US a couple of years ago and he doesn't want to go back to Europe, college basketball is basically the only option he has before going to NBA.

A.M.G.
10-27-2010, 02:19 PM
I don't know why Kanter even wants to play college basketball. He should just become a pro in Europe, get money, enter the first NBA draft he is elibigle for, and then decide if he wants to play in the NBA or for a top European team. I understand maybe he thinks going to UK is a better route to the NBA, but it's not like he really loses anything if he is inelgible.

As for Kentucy fans, I hate to break it to you, but you're never going to win a national championship starting 4 or 5 new freshmen every year. Because Calipari seems to only be getting prima donna one-and-done talents with no interest in getting any kind of education.

At least you'll be good every year, I suppose, until the inevitable hammer of NCAA investigation falls, and Calipari inevitably manages to weasel out and bail to another school again.

disco
10-27-2010, 05:03 PM
I don't know why Kanter even wants to play college basketball. He should just become a pro in Europe, get money, enter the first NBA draft he is elibigle for, and then decide if he wants to play in the NBA or for a top European team. I understand maybe he thinks going to UK is a better route to the NBA, but it's not like he really loses anything if he is inelgible.

I don't know about the motives, but if he has been in the US for a couple of years - with his family, I kind of understand he doesn't want to move back and forth between the continents. One year in college may also make him a more attractive draft pick.

boozehound
11-12-2010, 12:02 AM
So, espn is reporting that the NCAA ruled him permanently ineligible. Of course UK will appeal, but its a big blow for them.

TheGame414
11-13-2010, 07:33 AM
You mean the professional basketball player is ineligible to play college basketball? Shocking.

ukfan22
11-13-2010, 08:22 AM
You mean the professional basketball player is ineligible to play college basketball? Shocking.
He was not a professional, no one is saying he was a professional. He received expense money, which is not an NCAA violation, but aprroximately 13k went unused. The Kanters left it in the account and have been asking to pay it back, but were denied.

But feel free to continue not knowing what you are talking about. The appeals board can take circumstances and context into account when ruling, while the NCAA really only looks at the rules in black and white. It's still very possible he plays.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/feed/2010-09/enes-kanter

UConnCeltics
11-13-2010, 08:25 AM
I don't see the big deal. He is an one and done player... what does he care if he doesn't play? He could just go back to his native country for a year then join the NBA. Bilas was whining about robbing him of a college education but what do these one and dones have for college classes (if they show up for them)? Basket weaving?

Anyways UK wouldn't do anything with or without him this year. This year's college field > last year's and UK's class last year was three times as good as this year's class. And they only made an Elite 8.

ukfan22
11-13-2010, 08:52 AM
I don't see the big deal. He is an one and done player... what does he care if he doesn't play? He could just go back to his native country for a year then join the NBA. Bilas was whining about robbing him of a college education but what do these one and dones have for college classes (if they show up for them)? Basket weaving?

Anyways UK wouldn't do anything with or without him this year. This year's college field > last year's and UK's class last year was three times as good as this year's class. And they only made an Elite 8.
Enes Kanter might be the best post prospect in the world, it's moronic to say UK wouldn't "do anything" with him.

boozehound
11-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Enes Kanter might be the best post prospect in the world, it's moronic to say UK wouldn't "do anything" with him.
you need to relax about this. even if hes ruled eligible on appeal (which I dont think he will be, but you never know), how soon is that going to happen. enjoy watching the team you have going forward. and yes calipari is a scummy recruiter. no doubt about it.

Jailblazers7
11-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Isn't it kind of appropraite that Cal's team could (and likely will) be undermined by a player being ruled ineligible? That's the danger you deal with when you overhaul your roster every year with 1 and done prospects.

Ikill
11-14-2010, 08:54 PM
So whats going to happen since he can`t play does he still enter the draft does he stay at the school does he practice with the team. Will he get drafted lower now since he does not play this year

boozehound
11-14-2010, 10:52 PM
So whats going to happen since he can`t play does he still enter the draft does he stay at the school does he practice with the team. Will he get drafted lower now since he does not play this year
my understanding is that he has been ruled permanently ineligible. so it doesnt make any sense (barring appeal) to stick around. he will still enter the draft and it probably wont impact his status.

TheGame414
11-15-2010, 12:10 AM
Sitting out a year probably doesn't help but if he's not the best pure post prospect in this draft, he's close. Kanter is a lottery pick.

DeuceWallaces
11-17-2010, 12:04 AM
Appeal might be OK, luckily it's a separate committee from the first ruling. There is hope.

TennesseeFan
11-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Appeal might be OK, luckily it's a separate committee from the first ruling. There is hope.

Only Cheatapari would get an appeal for this. This is ridiculous. This guy has been paid professionally. Theres no way he is going to play.

ukfan22
11-17-2010, 02:19 AM
A Tennessee fan with the balls to call other people cheaters:facepalm

BTW, you are wrong. There is nothing wrong with accepting money so long as it's only enough to cover "necessary expenses". I guess we'll find out if 20k for school is a "necessary expense". You be the judge.

TennesseeFan
11-17-2010, 02:21 AM
A Tennessee fan with the balls to call other people cheaters:facepalm

BTW, you are wrong. There is nothing wrong with accepting money so long as it's only enough to cover "necessary expenses". I guess we'll find out if 20k for school is a "necessary expense". You be the judge.

Please, Cheatapari has been cheating since his UMass days, BP has some players at his house and neglected to tell the NCAA about the minor violation, other than the fact that he is a Jew, he has a pretty clean slate.

ukfan22
11-17-2010, 02:32 AM
John Calipari has zero NCAA violations on his record. Pearl is a proven cheater, liar, and a snitch.

KG215
11-17-2010, 02:41 AM
John Calipari has zero NCAA violations on his record.

Yet every school he's left quickly found themselves under investigation, and eventually being hit with some sort of recruiting violation.

TennesseeFan
11-17-2010, 02:49 AM
John Calipari has zero NCAA violations on his record. Pearl is a proven cheater, liar, and a snitch.

I mean sure, but his Final Four trips with UMass and Memphis are vacated, so history isn't going to go well for you guys. Trust me.

ukfan22
11-17-2010, 03:03 AM
Yet every school he's left quickly found themselves under investigation, and eventually being hit with some sort of recruiting violation.

He has never been accused of any kind of recruiting violations.

TennesseeFan
11-17-2010, 03:10 AM

So? There are still the Derrick Rose and John Wall fiascos, Callipari is way more of a cheater than Pearl is.

Pearl had some ineligible, yet commited, players at his house, and neglected to report that violation to the NCAA.

Callipari's track record is way worse than Pearl's trust me.

ukfan22
11-17-2010, 03:14 AM
lol ok, I'll trust you, based on this large amount of evidence you have to back up your claims.

Oh wait, you have none. Cal haters all sound the same, "he's dirty, everyone knows it. No, we don't have any proof, just trust us!"

TennesseeFan
11-17-2010, 03:21 AM
lol ok, I'll trust you, based on this large amount of evidence you have to back up your claims.

Oh wait, you have none. Cal haters all sound the same, "he's dirty, everyone knows it. No, we don't have any proof, just trust us!"

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/may/27/ncaa-alleges-major-violations-memphis-basketball-p/
http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/derrick-rose-failed-act-times-chicago-passed-sat-detroit/8873
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/28/derrick-rose-sat-scandal_n_208809.html
http://chattahbox.com/sports/2009/05/28/coach-calipari-flees-to-kentucky-leaves-memphis-with-ncaa-violations/
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4586311
http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?t=100186

ukfan22
11-17-2010, 03:22 AM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/may/27/ncaa-alleges-major-violations-memphis-basketball-p/
http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/derrick-rose-failed-act-times-chicago-passed-sat-detroit/8873
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/28/derrick-rose-sat-scandal_n_208809.html
http://chattahbox.com/sports/2009/05/28/coach-calipari-flees-to-kentucky-leaves-memphis-with-ncaa-violations/
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4586311
http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?t=100186

Yup, Derrick Rose sure did screw up.

TennesseeFan
11-17-2010, 03:24 AM
Yup, Derrick Rose sure did screw up.

JCal knew about it.

ukfan22
11-17-2010, 03:27 AM
Pearl gave Tatum that gun

See how easy that is?

KG215
11-17-2010, 04:29 AM

So what!

He coached at UMass, left, and his Final Four appearance was vacated due to recruiting violations.

He coached at Memphis, left, and his Final Four appearance was vacated due to recruiting violations.

That's not hard evidence, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that at the very least, there's something VERY shady about the way the guy recruits and/or the players he recruits.

ukfan22
11-17-2010, 05:39 AM
So what!

He coached at UMass, left, and his Final Four appearance was vacated due to recruiting violations.

He coached at Memphis, left, and his Final Four appearance was vacated due to recruiting violations.

That's not hard evidence, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that at the very least, there's something VERY shady about the way the guy recruits and/or the players he recruits.

Those are not recruiting violations, neither case has anything to do with recruiting. Camby and Rose made poor decisions (although nothing has been proven in the Rose case) that led to them being ruled retroactively ineligible. The NCAA ruled in both cases that Calipari was not involved, in fact it was Cal himself who turned in Camby. It's unfortunate those seasons were wiped away (especially the Memphis one), but there is simply NO evidence to suggest he was invovled.

Corey Maggette admitted under oath that he received cash payments in high school. He was a member of Duke's 1999 Final Four team. The great and shining Coach K should have a vacated Final Four on his record. Is K dirty?

TheGame414
11-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Yes, that Duke Final Four should have been vacated. That doesn't change anything John Calipari has done. He's a crook. Quit lying to yourself and deal with it. Stop this "nothing has been proven!" bullshit. We're not in a court of law, we're in the court of common sense. No one with any common sense can deny that John Calipari is a serial cheater.

Posterize246
11-17-2010, 04:06 PM
It's like a competition of who's the bigger homer in here.

KG215
11-17-2010, 09:37 PM
It's like a competition of who's the bigger homer in here.

Damn SEC fans. I thought it was only their football fans who were delusional homers.

TennesseeFan
11-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Pearl gave Tatum that gun

See how easy that is?
:rolleyes:

IlliniFan
11-18-2010, 12:21 AM
I think we can all agree that both Calipari and Pearl are lying, cheating scum.

parkespapa
11-18-2010, 12:56 AM
As to the whole deal with the NCAA vacating the UofM's 2007-08 season, the NCAA offered absolutely no proof that Derrick Rose did not pass the SAT on his own. They only think that he didn't. When the school appealed their decision to vacate the season, the NCAA threatened to pass down tougher santions based solely on their desire to appeal. The UofM had to take them to court to just to gain the right of appeal without the threat of those tougher sanctions. On appeal, the NCAA still offered no proof that Derrick Rose had not passed the test on his own. I repeat, no proof whatsoever. This final dispostion cane after the NCAA clearinghouse had ruled Rose eligible not just once, but twice during the fall of 2007.

Btw, Darrell Arthur of the national champion Jayhawks never graduated high school, but because the University of Kansas had received false transcripts from his high school were not held responsible for letting him play.

parkespapa
11-18-2010, 12:58 AM
I think we can all agree that both Calipari and Pearl are lying, cheating scum.

As an Illini fan, you should definately have much more hatred for Pearl than Calipari. Tell me why.

parkespapa
11-18-2010, 01:00 AM
Damn SEC fans. I thought it was only their football fans who were delusional homers.

And why are SEC football fans delusional homers???

KG215
11-18-2010, 01:35 AM
And why are SEC football fans delusional homers???

From my experience, most SEC fan bases have more than their share of delusional homers. I've had 20+ years of firsthand experience with one SEC fanbase, and haven't found most others to be any different.

parkespapa
11-18-2010, 01:41 AM
From my experience, most SEC fan bases have more than their share of delusional homers. I've had 20+ years of firsthand experience with one SEC fanbase, and haven't found most others to be any different.

I won't argue that some SEC football fans are delusional homers, but what fans aren't? At least SEC football fans are fans of the best conference in cfb.

TheGame414
11-18-2010, 02:09 AM
As an Illini fan, you should definately have much more hatred for Pearl than Calipari. Tell me why.
Speaking for myself, of course. I don't even hate Calipari. He's a scumbag, but I don't hate him for getting Derrick Rose. (Especially since, as a Bulls fan, the 10+ years I'll get to watch him in Chicago outweighs the one year he'd have been an Illini.) If Calipari didn't buy him, some other crooked program would have. That's how it works with elite CPL recruits most of the time and it's why Illinois backed out of the Anthony Davis recruitment.

IlliniFan
11-18-2010, 02:09 AM
Is this supposed to be a test? You really think I don't know about the whole thing when he worked at Iowa with Deon Thomas?

I should probably hate Pearl more, but that whole incident was before my time. While I dislike the guy, I don't have the same level of hate for him as a lot of other Illini fans do.

TheGame414
11-18-2010, 02:11 AM
Digger Phelps and Bob Knight's role in the whole Deon incident gets underplayed. Illinois was really close to becoming college basketball's next superpower and they were scared of it.

ukfan22
11-18-2010, 02:35 AM
It's always fun reading the Illinois rationale for Bruce Weber being a shitty recruiter. I remember it well from the Tubby days.

IlliniFan
11-18-2010, 11:43 AM
It's always fun reading the Illinois rationale for Bruce Weber being a shitty recruiter. I remember it well from the Tubby days.
:oldlol: I don't see how you made the connection between that tired argument (which hasn't been relevant for a couple years now by the way) and anything that was said in this thread. If Cal was pulling the same type of recruits at Louisville, UK fans would be vilifying him and calling him a cheater as well. It's really funny how UK fans are so in denial about such an obvious truth. Enjoy your future vacated final 4.

parkespapa
11-19-2010, 04:35 AM
:oldlol: I don't see how you made the connection between that tired argument (which hasn't been relevant for a couple years now by the way) and anything that was said in this thread. If Cal was pulling the same type of recruits at Louisville, UK fans would be vilifying him and calling him a cheater as well. It's really funny how UK fans are so in denial about such an obvious truth. Enjoy your future vacated final 4.

Everyone calls him a cheater for the same reasons everyone called Tarkanian a cheater. He's gets very skilled players, and for the most part gets them to realize their full potential. Sometimes those players come from difficult situations, but he gets them into college, and college is lots better than jail. Guys that have played for him and coached with him have been very successful.

The basketball program at the University of Memphis is as good as it's ever been, and we're happy that he left the program in capable hands.

DeuceWallaces
11-19-2010, 04:17 PM
I guess when the glory days for your program is second place all you can do is resort to insults and hyperbole.

IlliniFan
11-20-2010, 08:27 PM
Everyone calls him a cheater for the same reasons everyone called Tarkanian a cheater. He's gets very skilled players, and for the most part gets them to realize their full potential. Sometimes those players come from difficult situations, but he gets them into college, and college is lots better than jail. Guys that have played for him and coached with him have been very successful.

He gets lottery picks out of high school and turns them into....lottery picks a year later. Impressive.

parkespapa
11-22-2010, 10:57 PM
He gets lottery picks out of high school and turns them into....lottery picks a year later. Impressive.

It wasn't so much about the lottery picks he turns into lottery picks as it was him turning guys that had no future into guys with good jobs out of college, or turning assistant coaches into head coaches. He also did a lot of good things for the city of Memphis that people outside of this region will never know about or see.

His perception outside of his program has never been something that he ever really cared about. The people that he's touched know the real story, and the rest he couldn't care less about, and to be truthful, nor could I.

boozehound
11-23-2010, 12:11 AM
enters thread...

sees the incredible number of sore butts......

walks away whistling.....

DeuceWallaces
11-23-2010, 12:38 PM

Man all the Illinois fans here have quite the inferiority complex. No one at UK was saying jack shit about Cal when he was at Memphis doing the same thing.

RobertSwift31
11-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Those are not recruiting violations, neither case has anything to do with recruiting. Camby and Rose made poor decisions (although nothing has been proven in the Rose case) that led to them being ruled retroactively ineligible. The NCAA ruled in both cases that Calipari was not involved, in fact it was Cal himself who turned in Camby. It's unfortunate those seasons were wiped away (especially the Memphis one), but there is simply NO evidence to suggest he was invovled.

Corey Maggette admitted under oath that he received cash payments in high school. He was a member of Duke's 1999 Final Four team. The great and shining Coach K should have a vacated Final Four on his record. Is K dirty?

As a Kentucky fan, the best attitude to have would be "**** it, I'm having fun watching the team now, who cares if he gets caught down the road" That way, you won't be let down when it happens. Trying to defend the dude is pointless.

ukfan22
11-23-2010, 10:46 PM
As a Kentucky fan, the best attitude to have would be "**** it, I'm having fun watching the team now, who cares if he gets caught down the road" That way, you won't be let down when it happens. Trying to defend the dude is pointless.

How about I take the attitude that haters like yourself can continue to hope against hope that something will happen, and I'll stay in the non-hypothetical world.

parkespapa
11-25-2010, 03:50 AM

Those are the same things people said about him when he recruited DeJuan Wagner after he first came to Memphis. All the hoopla was about him giving Milt Wagner a job to get him. Nothing but good came of it for the Memphis basketball program. We won the Nit, we started to get more good players, gained an incredible amount of national exposure for a school our size, and most certainly have a program that is much healthier than it was 10 yrs ago. And, Milt is still in coaching at Auburn with Tony Barbee. Maybe "who cares if he gets caught down the road" ain't so bad after all.