PDA

View Full Version : Being "smooth" on the court

MannyO
10-17-2010, 09:35 AM
This sounds a bit silly but I feel as though my game is not smooth. Some people say that my moves are too robotic like my crossover. I see players like John Wall, Kobe, etc. who have smooth, effortless, effective moves. How can I make my game "smooth"?

AJ2k8
10-17-2010, 09:59 AM
With your crossover it's all about being able to do all your moves subconsciously and string together moves to suit the situation as opposed to what you've practiced. Try to string together simple moves with a clear idea in your mind what the benefit of it will be because otherwise you'll be doing what the and1 type players do; dribbling stationery with a bunch of moves you've learnt in spare time.

Outside of your crossover all i can think of is form on your jumpshot and overall movement with the ball which comes down to pivots, hop steps, jumping etc comfortably with either foot.

:cheers:

carpevicis
10-17-2010, 10:49 AM
If you look or feel "robotic", then it's probably because you're going through the crossover motion instead of doing a natural crossover. Like both get you the same result, but one is like a natural fluid motion where you fake one way then cross and other other is like you're predetermined you're going to fake one way then cross.

I mean, in a game situation a crossover should be based off reaction, at least to me. If the defense shifts over, then you cross and if they stay planted then go by them without the crossover. It sounds like you're doing the crossover no matter what the defense gives you, making you seem robotic. You've made up your mind to cross over instead of using that as a move to attack what the defense gives you.

If you want to be smooth, just play freely. Don't restrict yourself to using certain moves if they aren't needed.

SourPatchKids
10-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Don't try to model your shot or your cross of of someone else. It has to be natural like carpevicis said.

code green
10-17-2010, 02:23 PM
If you look or feel "robotic", then it's probably because you're going through the crossover motion instead of doing a natural crossover. Like both get you the same result, but one is like a natural fluid motion where you fake one way then cross and other other is like you're predetermined you're going to fake one way then cross.

I mean, in a game situation a crossover should be based off reaction, at least to me. If the defense shifts over, then you cross and if they stay planted then go by them without the crossover. It sounds like you're doing the crossover no matter what the defense gives you, making you seem robotic. You've made up your mind to cross over instead of using that as a move to attack what the defense gives you.

If you want to be smooth, just play freely. Don't restrict yourself to using certain moves if they aren't needed.

good post, i'd rep but i've given out too much

Maga_1
10-17-2010, 04:49 PM
MannyO you really to forget about that , if you're efective with your robotic type of game .. just continue with that.

You need to create your own game, don't base yourself in other guys.

LA KB24
10-17-2010, 06:52 PM
MannyO you really to forget about that , if you're efective with your robotic type of game .. just continue with that.

You need to create your own game, don't base yourself in other guys.
This. if it works, who gives a f*ck?

Sounds like they're just mad cause they got their ankles broken. :pimp:

Maga_1
10-17-2010, 08:10 PM
This. if it works, who gives a f*ck?

Sounds like they're just mad cause they got their ankles broken. :pimp:
:cheers: :cheers:

MannyO
10-17-2010, 08:53 PM
my crossover works from time to time like its not real effective. Lets say im playing average players I will catch them easily. But when playing against better competition my moves become predictable.

A.I for example when he crossed Jordan he knew in his mind that he wanted to cross Jordan he said it himself. He executed the crossover flawlessly and MJ bit on it. Im trying to have that smooth crossover which I feel is more effective. But not only the crossover but just overall playing the game with rhythm, my coach was like I gotta learn how to dance with it lol.

Swaggin916
10-18-2010, 01:53 AM
well i think the main thing is to play comfortable. The guys that are herky jerky and effective... that's just the way they play. They are never the best ones tho. The best are the Kobe's, Lebron's, Roys, etc... guys who just look so fluid and comfortable out there on the court... like they are playing pickup with some buddies. You shouldn't predetermine your moves much tho... it's ok to try a move and see what happens, but most stuff should be reactionary... including crossovers,

bobbyflay
10-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Yep being comfortable, practicing the move, having confidence, and alot of things make you "smooth" on the court. You got to not think of "how to cross this guy" or "juke this guy". You have to think of "how to get past this guy and create a great scoring opportunity". For example, you feel like crossing someone. The person ends up not biting the fake. You could try to be an and1 player and do 10 crossovers until the other person starts laughing in their mind and bites for your pity, or you could have just exploded past the person and scored a point.

Maga_1
10-18-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm not smooth in some thing that i have.
My shoot is horrible, but it's like .. i score in that way so, i just practice that way .. if you see me playing you can't say i'm left or right handed until i shoot from outside. i take hit to the basket with both hands, and dribbling if someone give me a side i go with no problems.

i guess it's because when i was 10 until 12 i was right handed and then i changed to left.

MannyO
10-18-2010, 08:15 PM
hmm... let me give an example. My friend is real good in basketball right. He rarely even touches a basketball untill tryouts are coming up. But when he does play he is real good and his moves are smooth. Like his handle just naturally flows, when he crosses someone you look at it and are like how the f*ck did you fall for that. Then after he finishes abusing your teammate you decide to guard him and the same results happen. Its like you know there is some type of crossover or move coming but you just can't stop it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3E4HqKQVyw

look how tyreke's moves just flow hes not even trying but he is still effortlessly crossing those kids and getting to the basket with ease.

carpevicis
10-18-2010, 09:03 PM
hmm... let me give an example. My friend is real good in basketball right. He rarely even touches a basketball untill tryouts are coming up. But when he does play he is real good and his moves are smooth. Like his handle just naturally flows, when he crosses someone you look at it and are like how the f*ck did you fall for that. Then after he finishes abusing your teammate you decide to guard him and the same results happen. Its like you know there is some type of crossover or move coming but you just can't stop it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3E4HqKQVyw

look how tyreke's moves just flow hes not even trying but he is still effortlessly crossing those kids and getting to the basket with ease.

I don't really like that video, because to me, many of the moves he uses are unnecessary. I especially don't like the last part, where he basically goes And1 on Deuce Bello. He doesn't even get past him, he does like 5 crossovers until dropping a shoulder into Bello and throwing up a shot. Everyone was like "wow he schooled Bello", yeah, he threw his body into him. It's like when someone crosses you and steps on your foot and everyone thinks you got dropped.

MannyO
10-18-2010, 09:08 PM
I don't really like that video, because to me, many of the moves he uses are unnecessary. I especially don't like the last part, where he basically goes And1 on Deuce Bello. He doesn't even get past him, he does like 5 crossovers until dropping a shoulder into Bello and throwing up a shot. Everyone was like "wow he schooled Bello", yeah, he threw his body into him. It's like when someone crosses you and steps on your foot and everyone thinks you got dropped.

yea it was unnecessary but then again he was basically toying with bello while bello was trying hard to stick D. He did get to the basket but got fouled and he didn't throw his body into him he just took it strong to the basket and bello really couldn't recover. This may not be the best example tho but Tyreke has a smooth game.

Maga_1
10-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Again, don't base your game in other guys game. Create your own style, really.

MannyO
10-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Again, don't base your game in other guys game. Create your own style, really.

Im not trying to base it on other ppls game I just want to add my own style to it. Reinvent it and make it suitable for myself.

Maga_1
10-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Im not trying to base it on other ppls game I just want to add my own style to it. Reinvent it and make it suitable for myself.

Why can't you create your own?

MannyO
10-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Why can't you create your own?

well there is no way to create the crossover because it was already created thats why I want to add my style to it. I want it to be smooth doesn't have to be exactly like Kobe's but I want to model it after that.

carpevicis
10-18-2010, 10:17 PM
well there is no way to create the crossover because it was already created thats why I want to add my style to it. I want it to be smooth doesn't have to be exactly like Kobe's but I want to model it after that.

It's true that in effect, you're always going to be similar to another player. There's so many different styles of games that 2 people are always going to have some similarities in their game. What I think Maga is trying to say is that you can learn and try and utilize Kobe's crossover, but only learn it. Once you start mimicking it and using it completely (as in you always use it because it's your move), then you start to be robotic.

Take Kobe's crossover but do it your own way. That's how you become "smooth" or natural on the court, when you flow your own way. If I tried hard to copy say Kevin Durant's game, I'd obviously look much more jerky than him because he does what works for him. Do what works for you, not what you "want to do". I put that in quotes because sometimes you see people who "want to do" Allen Iverson's crossover, which means they copy it as best as they can. They'd be much more effective if they did it their own way, because unless you do it your own way, you won't be as comfortable as you can be, which means you won't look as natural/smooth as you can be.

Here's a video of Ryan Harrow, he's a PG and he has an excellent handle. You might want to check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT-BbVFvfRQ

Maga_1
10-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Carpevicis is right, that's what i'm trying to say.
See the example, but do in your own way

MannyO
10-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Yea thats what I wanted to do learn how to do it and add my own style. Like when I learned the between the legs quick cross I also added a behind the back crossover kind of like the Tim Hardaway just behind the back. I just need to execute it in a smoother fashion. But I understand what you guys are saying.

623baller
10-20-2010, 02:03 AM
practice practice practice

you aint gona be smooth over night, your cross over is not gona "flow" just because you add style to it

As long as you can get by your defender and score, nobody is gona care how ugly it is except you

to be smooth in terms of fluid motion, you'll need to be flexible and comfortable with what you are doing, it needs to be almost second nature.

the only other times where i saw people who are smooth without the above is when their offensive footwork are clearly head and shoulder above their defender's defensive footwork

some tips for you:

use and turn your entire body when doing the cross over. it's a change of direction move, you are not just simply changing dribbling hand and going straight

do it slower, if you dont got the fundamentals to do it with speed then you need to perfect it in slower motion first

mix it up with other moves such as hesitation, double crosses....etc, if you cant get by your defender with 1 cross or move, then mix it up with a string of moves as counters against good defense

Birmingham1955
10-24-2010, 02:58 AM
let the game come to you

jerzymade
10-25-2010, 01:23 PM
look at joe johnson he has a smooth game a smooth game is someone that doesnt rush. He has a slowed down type of game. Examples james harden, joe johnson, brandon roy and kevin durant. When they get the ball they never do a thousand fakes to get to no where they analyze their opponent and help d then attack.

Maga_1
10-25-2010, 07:09 PM
look at joe johnson he has a smooth game a smooth game is someone that doesnt rush. He has a slowed down type of game. Examples james harden, joe johnson, brandon roy and kevin durant. When they get the ball they never do a thousand fakes to get to no where they analyze their opponent and help d then attack.

Nice post.
But mainly JJ and B Roy.

jerzymade
10-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Nice post.
But mainly JJ and B Roy.
thanks. I understand what your talking about though because alot of the older guys said i had a smooth game and idk what they meant. I guess i was just born like that but i think you shouldn't try to adjust your game to play like somebody be yourself on the court and do what your capable of and everything will be fine.

MannyO
10-27-2010, 12:37 AM
I learned that u can be quick but never in a hurry (I think dats how it goes) so that really helped my game fkow better and like someone said to just play free and instinctively

carpevicis
10-27-2010, 06:37 PM
I learned that u can be quick but never in a hurry (I think dats how it goes) so that really helped my game fkow better and like someone said to just play free and instinctively

Yeah, I think that is probably the best definition of smooth you can get. Urgent but not rushed, and always under control.

trig
10-28-2010, 08:55 AM
try other sports. it'll improve your coordination, balance and footwork.

try using your off-hand in doing simple stuff like using the remote, opening doors etc

mix it up, keep your opponent guessing. change pace instead of out-running your opponent

Maga_1
10-28-2010, 01:29 PM
try other sports. it'll improve your coordination, balance and footwork.

try using your off-hand in doing simple stuff like using the remote, opening doors etc

mix it up, keep your opponent guessing. change pace instead of out-running your opponent

you reminded me about Rondo's rolling.

Swaggin916
10-28-2010, 10:13 PM
yea as a guy who isn't really all that quick, I have to use change of pace moves to get where I want to go. Many guys in the NBA are in exactly the same situation too.