PDA

View Full Version : Larry Brown: Allen Iverson Deserves Better Than Finishing Career in Turkey

Turkododo
10-20-2010, 01:07 AM
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/10/14/larry-brown-allen-iverson-deserves-better-than-finishing-career/

i agree with Larry Brown. when i hear the name Iverson, one word comes to my mind, misunderstood.

elementally morale
10-20-2010, 01:08 AM
when i hear the name Iverson, one word comes to my mind, misunderstood.

If you have been misunderstood for such a long time, chances are you should articulate a bit better.

KoRn
10-20-2010, 01:16 AM
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/10/14/larry-brown-allen-iverson-deserves-better-than-finishing-career/

i agree with Larry Brown. when i hear the name Iverson, one word comes to my mind, misunderstood.

larry brown is a hypocrite. if brown thinks iverson deserves better, than sign him to your team. last time i check, bobcats have good defense, but not enough offense.

BallsOut
10-20-2010, 01:18 AM
larry brown is a hypocrite. if brown thinks iverson deserves better, than sign him to your team. last time i check, bobcats have good defense, but not enough offense.

I agree. Larry Brown is talking with his heart. If he really cared about AI and still thinks he has game, he'd try a lot harder to get him in Charlotte.

oh the horror
10-20-2010, 01:19 AM
I agree. Larry Brown is talking with his heart. If he really cared about AI and still thinks he has game, he'd try a lot harder to get him in Charlotte.

Bingo. Even if his heart says one thing about AI....His brain is telling him something entirely different.

WildStyle
10-20-2010, 01:36 AM
It's Iverson's own fault for not being willing to take a lesser role. If he's too proud for that, then fine. That's his decision. I'm not going to feel sorry for him. If he really wanted to play in the NBA he could.

oh the horror
10-20-2010, 01:38 AM
If he really wanted to play in the NBA he could.

I dont even think he could if he wanted to at this point. I think teams are pretty much sour on him. No one trusts him, after the way he appeared to act during his stints with Memphis, and then with the Sixers. Dude is mad flakey these days.

seoerizer
10-20-2010, 01:40 AM
It was such a big tragedy, AI deserves much better, he could get into the Hall of Fame even without a ring. But now, people are dumping him and saying he's such a lousy and arrogant player.
God, this is a crazy world.

ILLsmak
10-20-2010, 02:01 AM
It was such a big tragedy, AI deserves much better, he could get into the Hall of Fame even without a ring. But now, people are dumping him and saying he's such a lousy and arrogant player.
God, this is a crazy world.

If he doesn't make the HoF, I will be mad but not surprised...

Plenty of teams could use AI as a 6th man... even good teams. I bet AI would even be a worthwhile starter on some teams. AI + Dwight would be insane because Dwight could clean up all of AI's bad but defense-changing shots.

-Smak

Samurai Swoosh
10-20-2010, 02:02 AM
If you have been misunderstood for such a long time, chances are you should articulate a bit better.
That's not true at all ...

Hell, Kobe Bryant was still misunderstood up until maybe a year or so ago.

:facepalm

And he's as articulate in terms of basketball players (naw mean, Carmelo Anthony) as they come.

eliteballer
10-20-2010, 02:17 AM
AI to the Knicks, make it happen.

clayton
10-20-2010, 02:23 AM
Nobody deserves anything. You have to earn it.

Rowe
10-20-2010, 02:49 AM
Nobody deserves anything. You have to earn it.

What can he do? Send letters to every GM begging them to give him a shot.

I understand why Iverson isn't in the league. It has to do with his legacy. Why would a future HOFer/Top 5 SG in NBA History sign on at Age 35 to come off the bench for 10 MPG for a team like New Jersey or Cleveland? The way you go out often times is the only real memory some people have of you as a player. Just look at all the young dumbasses who think Jordan/Kobe is a toss-up comparison solely because their only memory of Jordan was as an old man on a bad Wizards team.

Kobe4life
10-20-2010, 03:59 AM
if scrubs like shannon brown are in a nba team so can iverson

Lebron23
10-20-2010, 04:02 AM
I hope he wins a couple of championships in the Turkish League. I am a huge fan of Allen Iverson, and I wish him luck in his future endeavors.

andgar923
10-20-2010, 04:06 AM
Speaking of Iverson....

What happened to Marbury?

Maga_1
10-20-2010, 04:07 AM
Iverson signed for Besiktas already?

LeBron23, Besiktas are like a top 3 in his country, they're currently playing their national league and the 2nd best league for teams in Europe - Eurocup. So don't expect too much for this team, but with Iverson .. who knows?

Maga_1
10-20-2010, 04:07 AM
Speaking of Iverson....

What happened to Marbury?

i think he signed already for another year in China.

KoRn
10-20-2010, 04:21 AM
if scrubs like shannon brown are in a nba team so can iverson

scrubs like brown do as they are told by the coach. now if iverson plays and doesn't complain about playing time and other issues, then maybe a team will take a risk on him. memphis and detroit took a chance on him and it backfired. can you understand why other teams in the league are weary?

Lebron23
10-20-2010, 04:26 AM
Iverson signed for Besiktas already?

LeBron23, Besiktas are like a top 3 in his country, they're currently playing their national league and the 2nd best league for teams in Europe - Eurocup. So don't expect too much for this team, but with Iverson .. who knows?

Thanks for the info.

Scoooter
10-20-2010, 04:30 AM
To Larry Brown: So sign him, you prick.

RoseCity07
10-20-2010, 04:35 AM
If Iverson played in LA his whole career, we'd be talking about him being one of the all time greats. This guy carried the 76ers to a game 1 win in the finals against a prime Shaq and Kobe Lakers.

Even though they didn't win the series, I'll never forget that performance.

Maga_1
10-20-2010, 05:21 AM
If Iverson played in LA his whole career, we'd be talking about him being one of the all time greats. This guy carried the 76ers to a game 1 win in the finals against a prime Shaq and Kobe Lakers.

Even though they didn't win the series, I'll never forget that performance.

I have that match in my pc, what a fuc'kin game .. How can we forget about the play against Tyron Lue? Damn :bowdown:

dbugz
10-20-2010, 05:42 AM

There might be reasons behind on why he didn't pursue to get AI in Charlotte.

- MJ

kumquat
10-20-2010, 05:43 AM
He got what his ego deserved, now maybe at what 35 he learns to grow up.

jbryan1984
10-20-2010, 06:49 AM
I would had liked to see him get a ring before its over for him. I really thought Miami or Boston would sign him in the off season but no such luck. He's prob my favorite point guard of all time so I wish him good luck in whatever he does. It would be cool to see him with Larry Brown again but I don't really wanna see him go to Charlotte.

Harison
10-20-2010, 07:18 AM
Even if he wanted to, Jordan calls the shots, and he doesnt want AI.

dbugz
10-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Even if he wanted to, Jordan calls the shots, and he doesnt want AI.

This is what I'm talking about.

Harison
10-20-2010, 08:06 AM
This is what I'm talking about.
Indeed, Larry Brown was the only coach who knew the best how to maximize Iversons potential, and he spoke quite fondly last summer about him, but then Jordan made public comment they wont be signing AI. I personally wanted AI to make a final hurrah and then retire after season or two (if he didnt wanted to continue as a bench player), now he will be retiring somewhere in EU :(

hateraid
10-20-2010, 08:30 AM
At the same time AI should think of his prioreties. I love the guy but his reasoning for bailing on his team was family. Now he wants to move them to Turkey?
I'd hold out, try out for an NBA team, accept my role, and go out with style.

Ron Artest
10-20-2010, 10:51 AM
I have that match in my pc, what a fuc'kin game .. How can we forget about the play against Tyron Lue? Damn :bowdown:

lue is a bum. why would we care what iverson did to lue?

DukeDelonte13
10-20-2010, 10:54 AM
I think when you bail on 3 teams in a season and a half you do deserve to play in Turkey.

PaPaK
10-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Larry Brown: Allen Iverson Deserves Better Than Finishing Career in Turkey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FshkO8HqQ10

Ron Artest
10-20-2010, 10:57 AM
I think when you bail on 3 teams in a season and a half you do deserve to play in Turkey.

Man, i just gotta bail on a few more. Turkey!!!! sweet!!

Kobe8
10-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Brown is a hypocrite , Man Iverson doesnt deserve this .. Its like what people did on Michael Jackson , MJ Had Problems and People turned their back on him.

Now Iverson Is Old and trashy but atleast sign him for a Vet MIN or something ..

I think Iverson Qualify's for the Celtics now ... :oldlol:

mlh1981
10-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Wow, time flies by.

Seems like yesterday, he was a young star. Now, he's a guy in his mid 30s playing overseas.

This generation of players has grown up QUICK.

beermonsteroo
10-20-2010, 11:38 AM
At least he hasn't ended up in the gutter so far. Let's be honest, this would be a succes for someone like Iverson if he stayed away from the gutter for the rest of his life. I easily see him ending up totally broke in the streets.
And i used to be a Iverson homer.

VIP2000
10-20-2010, 11:45 AM
I think Cleveland should sign him just to fill up the seats, but they already have enough backcourt players.

DKLaker
10-20-2010, 12:57 PM

EXACTLY!!!!! You would think all NBA players would have learned something from what happened to Latrell Sprewell......obviously Iverson didn't!!!

Kellogs4toniee
10-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Being forced to go play overseas is entirely Iverson's fault. If he would accept his lesser role and be more of a Gary Payton / Jason Kidd a la Heat type of player in a championship contending team, his career would end spectacularly even if he doesn't achieve that ring.

Nevertheless, it's still sad coming from a long-time fan. Iverson was easily one of the most popular players in NBA history, and like Jordan he's affected the league in so many ways not shown on the court.

PowerGlove
10-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Being forced to go play overseas is entirely Iverson's fault. If he would accept his lesser role and be more of a Gary Payton / Jason Kidd a la Heat type of player in a championship contending team, his career would end spectacularly even if he doesn't achieve that ring.

Nevertheless, it's still sad coming from a long-time fan. Iverson was easily one of the most popular players in NBA history, and like Jordan he's affected the league in so many ways not shown on the court.
Jason Kidd/Gary Payton?

Are those two roles even similar?

I thought he should have went to China but if he is going to Turkey, I'll find a way to watch.

chips93
10-20-2010, 01:49 PM
At least he hasn't ended up in the gutter so far. Let's be honest, this would be a succes for someone like Iverson if he stayed away from the gutter for the rest of his life. I easily see him ending up totally broke in the streets.
And i used to be a Iverson homer.

you've got to be kidding me, even if he became broke there's no way allen iverson is going to be homeless

with his kind of celebrity he's find a way to make some money

KoRn
10-20-2010, 02:15 PM
you've got to be kidding me, even if he became broke there's no way allen iverson is going to be homeless

with his kind of celebrity he's find a way to make some money

yeah, he'll get his own reality show or go box someone like jose conseco.

Maga_1
10-20-2010, 06:06 PM

He was a nice defender in his prime.

XxSMSxX
10-20-2010, 06:38 PM

Because no professional ball player should get dominated like Lue did

Xiao Yao You
10-22-2010, 06:30 AM
He dug his own grave. Memphis could have been one of the best teams in the league if AI's ego wasn't so big.

kumquat
10-24-2010, 11:03 AM
I wonder if he'll practice in turkey?

VishaltotheG
10-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Speaking of Larry Brown, Iverson is such a great fit in Charlotte. Could've been their starting PG, fixing their offensive issues.

the GIBBET
10-24-2010, 11:33 AM

Larry Brown only pretends to like Allen Iverson out of professionalism. And the media loves it because its the classic "unlikely friendship" of a conventional old white guy and a capricious black dude from out the ghetto, but the truth is there is no way larry brown could have much respect for someone as consistently unprofessional as the canswer

wakencdukest
10-24-2010, 11:42 AM

I remember Iverson and Brown being at odds constantly when he played for the Sixers. Wasn't there issues with Iverson always being late, skipping practice, not hitting the weights, wanting to play his way? I recall a lot of tension when they were together. I'm not sure, but was he actually exempt from practice in the later years in Philly? Anyway, based on the last 3 teams he played for, teams probably don't want to deal with his Bull***t. He doesn't have to go to Turkey, he should just retire with a little dignity.

niko
10-24-2010, 12:08 PM

:cheers:

GOBB
10-24-2010, 01:11 PM
"I wish I was in a position to help him, where it wouldn't affect the other guys I'm coaching,'' Brown said. "He needs to be on a great team that has a chance to win (a championship) and could utilize what he does. He doesn't need to be in Turkey.''

Larry Brown only pretends to like Allen Iverson out of professionalism. And the media loves it because its the classic "unlikely friendship" of a conventional old white guy and a capricious black dude from out the ghetto, but the truth is there is no way larry brown could have much respect for someone as consistently unprofessional as the canswer

There is a way. No different than a mother defending her son even tho the son is wrong.

KoRn
10-24-2010, 01:53 PM

this is what i think too.

GOBB
10-24-2010, 02:03 PM
this is what i think too.

You think? Interesting. Did you read the quote I posted about why Larry Brown doesnt just go out and sign Allen Iverson? Guess not.

And since when did Larry Brown pretend anything? Guess he's jusy playing up the old white guy, ghetto black kid thing huh? It sells...I think, guess I dunno. :facepalm

flipogb
10-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Speaking of Larry Brown, Iverson is such a great fit in Charlotte. Could've been their starting PG, fixing their offensive issues.
exactly, plus S.Jackson is a good ball handler too so hed kind of be the PG on offense and Iverson can be himself

markymark
10-24-2010, 02:31 PM
exactly, plus S.Jackson is a good ball handler too so hed kind of be the PG on offense and Iverson can be himself

not to mention the toughness factor... AI, Jax and G-Wall on the same team is scary.

KoRn
10-24-2010, 02:39 PM
You think? Interesting. Did you read the quote I posted about why Larry Brown doesnt just go out and sign Allen Iverson? Guess not.

And since when did Larry Brown pretend anything? Guess he's jusy playing up the old white guy, ghetto black kid thing huh? It sells...I think, guess I dunno. :facepalm

this quote? "I wish I was in a position to help him, where it wouldn't affect the other guys I'm coaching,'' Brown said. "He needs to be on a great team that has a chance to win (a championship) and could utilize what he does. He doesn't need to be in Turkey.''

if that is the one you're referring to?

GOBB
10-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Of course.

KoRn
10-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Of course.

that quote can go 2 ways.

"I wish I was in a position to help him" so he's blaming mj or saying mj has the power to sign him or not?

"where it wouldn't affect the other guys I'm coaching" so having AI on the team is really a cancer?

again, coaching someone like AI is something brown doesn't want to ever do again. but he's not honest enough to say that.

PowerGlove
10-24-2010, 02:59 PM

"I wish I was in a position to help him" so he's blaming mj or saying mj has the power to sign him or not?

"where it wouldn't affect the other guys I'm coaching" so having AI on the team is really a cancer?

again, coaching someone like AI is something brown doesn't want to ever do again. but he's not honest enough to say that.
:oldlol:

ISH, where people make predictions and present them as fact. I dont know what Larry would do but, but he did coach AI after Philly in the Olympics.

I hope Larry can get another ring before he retires. Great coach.

KoRn
10-24-2010, 03:06 PM
:oldlol:

ISH, where people make predictions and present them as fact. I dont know what Larry would do but, but he did coach AI after Philly in the Olympics.

I hope Larry can get another ring before he retires. Great coach.

he had no choice but to coach AI in the olympics. but yeah, he's a great coach. if karl hadn't come back to the nuggets, i wonder how far he would have taken that team.

BarberSchool
10-24-2010, 03:53 PM
How does Larry Brown know AI doesn't WANT to go to Turkey. Maybe Iverson (like many african americans his age) has converted to Islam, and actively wants to live in the Islamic world.

GOBB
10-24-2010, 04:38 PM

No it goes one way. He feels AI has brought alot to the league and feels a title contender should give him a chance to be apart of it to win a ring. Bobcats are far from being a championship team. Larry Brown doesnt own the Bobcats so signing AI isnt his choice but at the same time having AI on that particular team may not be beneficial to the direction of that club. Better off as a contributor on an established legit contender rather than one just trying to become a legit playoff contender. At this point in AI career which is obviously fading.

And to say coaching AI is something Brown doesnt ever want to do again? Who knows. He went from about to trade the guy to making AI the focal point of the Sixers offense. And while people bash AI as a "chucker" guess who encouraged and ENFORCED it? Larry Brown. Who decided AI is better suited as a scoring guard than PG? Larry Brown. But I guess because Brown isnt trying to actively sign AI then it means what you want it to. And he's not hoenst to say he doesnt want to sign nor ever coach AI again. :rolleyes:

vert48
10-24-2010, 05:47 PM
I think when you bail on 3 teams in a season and a half you do deserve to play in Turkey.You are correct. 3 strikes is a Turkey :D

ProfessorMurder
10-24-2010, 05:59 PM
How does Larry Brown know AI doesn't WANT to go to Turkey. Maybe Iverson (like many african americans his age) has converted to Islam, and actively wants to live in the Islamic world.

You think a dude who hates practice will join a religion where he should pray 5 times a day?

"Prayer? We talkin' bout prayer?"

BarberSchool
10-24-2010, 10:59 PM
You think a dude who hates practice will join a religion where he should pray 5 times a day?

"Prayer? We talkin' bout prayer?"Totally.
But my post was more a question intended to question Larry Brown's anti-Islamic bias. Brown's operative words were "Better than"

Lebron23
10-25-2010, 06:04 AM

"Prayer? We talkin' bout prayer?"

:lol :lol :lol

NuggetsFan
10-25-2010, 06:16 AM
Really sucks the way Iverson is going out. Always was a favorite of mine. When he got traded to the Nuggets was extremely pumped. I have a dog named Iverson because of it :oldlol: .

Still wish some team would just take a chance on him. A team looking to make some money that can give him 30 minutes a night. Would be awesome to see that final hayday.

AlexanderRight
10-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Wouldn't fit in Charlotte.

ILLsmak
10-25-2010, 08:06 PM
for 2 mil (Which is probably more than he'd make in the US anyway...) a year, that's a good deal.

I'd go play bball anywhere for 2 mil a year. People hate on the whole overseas things, but he'd be an icon there and he could ball out and score 30 ppg. What's the downside?

-Smak

DukeDelonte13
10-25-2010, 08:09 PM
for 2 mil (Which is probably more than he'd make in the US anyway...) a year, that's a good deal.

I'd go play bball anywhere for 2 mil a year. People hate on the whole overseas things, but he'd be an icon there and he could ball out and score 30 ppg. What's the downside?

-Smak

Sh*t, get a shoe deal and start selling in Europe. He'd make a lot more than 2 mil.

ILLsmak
10-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Sh*t, get a shoe deal and start selling in Europe. He'd make a lot more than 2 mil.

Seriously, he's got a chance to prove that he's still an amazing talent. And I think we all know he is. I think he's a 20pgg NBA guy, AT LEAST. He could get 20ppg as a 6th man on a good team. He's gonna kill in Europe.

But I don't think it's about the money. He just wants to dominate. I'd love to watch him in Turkey if I could. He probably wouldn't have signed for a small amount. I think 2 mil is a good number. But yea he could be selling shoes, too.

-Smak

GOBB
10-25-2010, 08:25 PM

Who over in Europe has a bball shoe deal that is selling?

bagelred
10-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Going to Turkey....and right before Thanksgiving too.....ironic

JellyBean
10-25-2010, 09:28 PM
I agree Iverson deserves better. But we all know that Iverson would not be happy with just being a bench guy in the NBA. It is sad to see him go play overseas. But at least he is still playing and hopefully he will walk away from that experience a better person.

ILLsmak
10-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Going to Turkey....and right before Thanksgiving too.....ironic

Wah wah wah... lol..

Sorry, that was pretty bad, though.

-Smak

brownmamba00
10-28-2010, 12:08 PM
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/64/iversonwallpaper.jpg

Maga_1
10-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !

Droid101
10-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Jesus Larry... your team could have used his scoring last night... 2 points in the first six minutes.

DPittman
10-28-2010, 02:15 PM

is that real?

Rolando
10-28-2010, 02:30 PM
Cola Turka is good shit too. Tastes just like coke. I had it last time I was in Turkey.

Samurai Swoosh
10-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Some Kenny Powers playing for the Charros type marketing

Styles p
10-28-2010, 02:32 PM
ai has chicken legs.

DPittman
10-28-2010, 02:32 PM
anyone know where to get that jersey

:eek: