PDA

View Full Version : Is Monta Ellis the most underrated guard in the NBA?

AI3Anthony
10-22-2010, 11:03 PM
I almost forgot about the guy because he's on a struggling Warriors team out in the West. I tuned in to tonights preseason game and it just reminded me how great of a scorer he is. He is truly one of the leagues BEST scorers, and may be THE best(the best SCORER, so please don't freak out). He's a good shooter, great driver, and a pesky defender. Yet he gets almost no recognition.

I'm not trying to come out and say he's one of the best players in the league, but could he be the most underrated guard/player in the NBA right now?

09-10 Stats
25.5ppg 5.3apg 4.0rpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/media/act_monta_ellis.jpg

SavageMode
10-22-2010, 11:06 PM
Nope.. his rating is just perfect. Right in between where no one really cares much for him and him doing okay but never making playoffs.

lilWesleyJ4
10-22-2010, 11:07 PM
He gets no recognition because

1) His team sucks
2) Complains
3) Is a chucker.

AI3Anthony
10-22-2010, 11:07 PM
So, where do you rate him? Is he a top 10 GUARD in the league?

MMKM
10-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Monta is sh!tting all over the Lakers right now I love it! Warriors look a lot better with all their long rangy bigs in action and actually playing some D.

AI3Anthony
10-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Monta is sh!tting all over the Lakers right now I love it! Warriors look a lot better with all their long rangy bigs in action and actually playing some D.

I agree. Nelly ball had to go. You can be exciting, but not successful playing that way.

thejumpa
10-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Typical knee jerk reaction....come on, son.

1.Kobe
2.Wade
3.Roy
4.JJ
5.Monta
6.Can't think of any others...

He's a top 10 Shooting Guard...not guard period. If that's the case, then he might not crack the top 20. He's not horrible but is rated just fine. Aint nothing changed just because he's making the Lakers his ***** right now.

deeznut
10-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Monta rate just fine.. he can hurt ur team by ballhog when he not hot, he to small to guard other team SG and he don't make his teammate better at all but when he hot he can give u 30+ point a game.

noob cake
10-22-2010, 11:16 PM

1.Kobe
2.Wade
3.Roy
4.JJ
5.Monta

He's a top 10 Shooting Guard...not guard period. If that's the case, then he might not crack the top 20. He's not horrible but is rated just fine. Aint nothing changed just because he's making the Lakers his ***** right now.

JJ????
Monta????
Both top 5 SG?

AI3Anthony
10-22-2010, 11:17 PM
JJ????
Monta????
Both top 5 SG?

Joe Johnson is definitely a top 5 shooting guard in the league..

miamiandorlando
10-22-2010, 11:20 PM
He certainly is filling it up tonight :eek:

thejumpa
10-22-2010, 11:20 PM
JJ????
Monta????
Both top 5 SG?

Uhh yeah where have you been? JJ is most definitely a top 5 SG and I challenge you to put 5 other SGs above him.

I like Ginobili but I have a hard time putting a guy who averages 16ppg over a guy who averages 25. I understand the system he plays in but scoring is scoring...he's elite at that.

AI3Anthony
10-22-2010, 11:21 PM
He certainly is filling it up tonight :eek:

27 points on 12-15 shooting. :applause:

LosBulls
10-22-2010, 11:22 PM

1.Kobe
2.Wade
3.Roy
4.JJ
5.Monta

Andre Iguodala? Kevin Martin? Gilbert Arenas? Vince Carter? Caron Butler? Manu Ginobili? Tyreke Evans? OJ Mayo?

Shep
10-22-2010, 11:23 PM
shooting guards:

1. kobe bryant
2. dwyane wade
3. joe johnson
4. manu ginobili
5. brandon roy
6. monta ellis

AI3Anthony
10-22-2010, 11:23 PM
shooting guards:

1. kobe bryant
2. dwyane wade
3. joe johnson
4. manu ginobili
5. brandon roy
6. monta ellis

FINALLY! A person that thinks Joe is better than Roy and Manu. Repped.

Willkill24
10-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Best chucker in the game. :bowdown:

heyhey
10-22-2010, 11:25 PM
People treat Ellis like he's some chucking scrub even though he's proven that he can be a really efficient scorer. I think his off court issue make people think he's like a smaller Jr smith even though he's much better player than that. i would take Monta Ellis on my team anyday. The dude can flat out BALL.

deeznut
10-22-2010, 11:26 PM
JJ a good SG but i don't think he better then roy maybe manu.

miamiandorlando
10-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Andre Iguodala? Kevin Martin? Gilbert Arenas? Vince Carter? Caron Butler? Manu Ginobili? Tyreke Evans? OJ Mayo?
iggY is a 3 Gilbert is a 1 butler is nowhere near jj or Ellis. Ellis. Tyreke is a tweener sophmore so I still am saving my judgement on him. Oj is top 10

AI3Anthony
10-22-2010, 11:28 PM
JJ a good SG but i don't think he better then roy maybe manu.

definitely better than manu. manu has never averaged 20ppg in a season. joe is just flat out better at every aspect of the game except for hustle.

thejumpa
10-22-2010, 11:29 PM

I knew I was forgetting someone!

I think OJ will be in the future. I like his game more. Tyreke? I'd take him over Ellis for the future but I'm not sure if he's flat out better. Iggy? No....Kevin Martin? No. Butler,Ginobili,Carter.....no. Isn't Iggy a 3?

Arenas? I know they moved him to the SG spot, but I still consider him a PG for some reason. Still, we haven't really seen him play in 2+ years. Can't say he's better or worse right now...he looks good so far though.

AI3Anthony
10-22-2010, 11:29 PM
People treat Ellis like he's some chucking scrub even though he's proven that he can be a really efficient scorer. I think his off court issue make people think he's like a smaller Jr smith even though he's much better player than that. i would take Monta Ellis on my team anyday. The dude can flat out BALL.

Exactly. Monta is a great player. He has just been in the wrong system.. nelly ball is awful.

Sroek
10-22-2010, 11:33 PM

Ellis is better than all of them except Manu and Caron is an SF.

The problem is that not enough people actually watch Golden State games to realize how good Monta actually is.

AI3Anthony
10-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Btw, I don't think Monta is a chucker. I honestly think it was the system, Nelly Ball. It's just pure fast break and take the first shot that comes to you. I think we should pay attention to Monta this season.

O.J A 6'4Mamba
10-22-2010, 11:43 PM
I knew I was forgetting someone!

I think OJ will be in the future. I like his game more. Tyreke? I'd take him over Ellis for the future but I'm not sure if he's flat out better. Iggy? No....Kevin Martin? No. Butler,Ginobili,Carter.....no. Isn't Iggy a 3?

Arenas? I know they moved him to the SG spot, but I still consider him a PG for some reason. Still, we haven't really seen him play in 2+ years. Can't say he's better or worse right now...he looks good so far though.

If anybody has seen OJ Mayo of late , especially he is damn good right now. He is a lot stronger visual compared to his rookie or sophomore season. He has stepped it up defensively also.He is putting the ball on the floor now, he jumper has always been there, he has been playing backup pg the last two games so his assists have been up. He has been given 4 assists in 20 minutes of play since he started playing backup pg. You give him 38 minutes a night thats about 6 -7 assist per night this season. He coming he is coming.

Monta Ellis is one helluva of a player, in any system in the NBA he would be given you 20+ppg and he can playmake. Very underrated, but the most underrated guard is probably Aaron Brooks.

1. Kobe Bryant
2. Dwyane Wade
3. Brandon Roy
4. Monta Ellis
5. Joe Johnson
6. OJ Mayo
7. Manu Ginobili
8. Tyreke Evans he is more of a pg on his team though
9. Ray Allen
10. Vince Carter.

AI3Anthony
10-22-2010, 11:44 PM
If anybody has seen OJ Mayo of late , especially he is damn good right now. He is a lot stronger visual compared to his rookie or sophomore season. He has stepped it up defensively also.He is putting the ball on the floor now, he jumper has always been there, he has been playing backup pg the last two games so his assists have been up. He has been given 4 assists in 20 minutes of play since he started playing backup pg. You give him 38 minutes a night thats about 6 -7 assist per night this season. He coming he is coming.

Monta Ellis is one helluva of a player, in any system in the NBA he would be given you 20+ppg and he can playmake. Very underrated, but the most underrated guard is probably Aaron Brooks.

1. Kobe Bryant
2. Dwyane Wade
3. Brandon Roy
4. Monta Ellis
5. Joe Johnson
6. OJ Mayo
7. Manu Ginobili
9. Ray Allen
10. Vince Carter.

Monta in front of Joe? Interesting. I like the list though.

mayo'sgrizz
10-22-2010, 11:44 PM
shooting guards:

1. kobe bryant
2. dwyane wade
3. joe johnson
4. manu ginobili
5. brandon roy
6. monta ellis

u would take manu over roy at this point in their respective careers?
ill take roy but agree with ur list besides tht.

Al Thornton
10-22-2010, 11:47 PM

1. Kobe Bryant
2. Dwyane Wade
3. Brandon Roy
4. Monta Ellis
5. Joe Johnson
6. OJ Mayo
7. Manu Ginobili
9. Ray Allen
10. Vince Carter.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

of f*ck it hurts! AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Lebron23
10-22-2010, 11:47 PM
One of the best scorers in the League.

thejumpa
10-22-2010, 11:50 PM
1. Kobe Bryant
2. Dwyane Wade
3. Brandon Roy
4. Monta Ellis
5. Joe Johnson
6. OJ Mayo
7. Manu Ginobili
8. Tyreke Evans-he is more of a pg on his team though
9. Ray Allen
10. Vince Carter.

Looks about right. I'd say Ellis is right below JJ but whatever. I agree with you on Tyreke as well. He's a PG that they are trying to transform into a SG. Not sure I'd even have him on this list but whatever....Monta/Roy/Wade/Ginobili...they are all combo guards as well.

And yes, Aaron Brooks really is underrated. Nobody wants to give people from Seattle any credit. It's a shame really.

AI3Anthony
10-22-2010, 11:53 PM
Looks about right. I'd say Ellis is right below JJ but whatever. I agree with you on Tyreke as well. He's a PG that they are trying to transform into a SG. Not sure I'd even have him on this list but whatever....Monta/Roy/Wade/Ginobili...they are all combo guards as well.

And yes, Aaron Brooks really is underrated. Nobody wants to give people from Seattle any credit. It's a shame really.

I give Aaron credit. He is a great point guard. Unbelievable speed, GREAT shooter, and a good passer. His size is the only bad thing, but he makes up for it with his quickness.

bdreason
10-22-2010, 11:54 PM
There is a reason it's a "struggling" Warriors team.

Monta will never fit into any good team as a starter because he's a blackhole and a chemistry killer. His perfect role would be like that of Jamal Crawford or Jason Terry.

bdreason
10-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Joe Johnson shits all over Monta, are you kidding me?

AI3Anthony
10-22-2010, 11:55 PM
There is a reason it's a "struggling" Warriors team.

Monta will never fit into any good team as a starter because he's a blackhole and a chemistry killer. His perfect role would be like that of Jamal Crawford or Jason Terry.

Am I the only one that thinks it was the system, NELLY BALL, that makes him look like nothing but a black hole/chucker? Pay close attention to him this year. I think there is more about Monta we don't know.

bdreason
10-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Am I the only one that thinks it was the system, NELLY BALL, that makes him look like nothing but a black hole/chucker? Pay close attention to him this year. I think there is more about Monta we don't know.

As a Warriors fan, I've followed Monta his whole career, and the guy simply has tunnel vision. When he decides he wants to score, that's what he's going to do. In no way should he ever play the point, and at the SG position he's undersized and not a great shooter.

Look, I'm not saying Monta isn't really talented, and a top 10 SG... but don't show me stats to try and prove it. Monta puts up some of the most empty stats in the league.

asdf1990
10-22-2010, 11:59 PM
his like kobe without the good team to carry him to rings

AI3Anthony
10-22-2010, 11:59 PM
As a Warriors fan, I've followed Monta his whole career, and the guy simply has tunnel vision. When he decides he wants to score, that's what he's going to do. In no way should he ever play the point, and at the SG position he's undersized and not a great shooter.

Look, I'm not saying Monta isn't really talented, and a top 10 SG... but don't show me stats to try and prove it. Monta puts up some of the most empty stats in the league.

Hmm, I won't doubt an everyday Warriors fan. You definitely know him better than I do. I just see him on nationally televised games and see him putting up numbers. He's a flat out scorer though.

thejumpa
10-23-2010, 12:02 AM
Hmm, I won't doubt an everyday Warriors fan. You definitely know him better than I do. I just see him on nationally televised games and see him putting up numbers. He's a flat out scorer though.

He's a normal sized Durant:oldlol:.

AI3Anthony
10-23-2010, 12:03 AM
People are negative repping me for expressing an opinion? Wow..

bdreason
10-23-2010, 12:04 AM

Monta could average 30ppg if he wanted to (sounds like LeBron heh), he's that talented. Of course, his team would win like 20 games that season. :oldlol:

Bigsmoke
10-23-2010, 12:05 AM
yea Monta Ellis is raw as hell

Willkill24
10-23-2010, 12:09 AM
his like kobe without the good team to carry him to rings
:sleeping

Bladers
10-23-2010, 12:33 AM
He gets no recognition because

1) His team sucks
2) Complains
3) Is a chucker.

41 points, 4 Assists, 16-26 FG:confusedshrug:

sundizz
10-23-2010, 01:13 AM
I watch almost every single Warriors game for the past few seasons and YES Monta is ridiculously ridiculously underrated. I see random analysts talking, or writing about him and it is clear they have no concept of what his skills and impact are on a game.

Skills: Midrange pull up 9/10, getting to the rim 9/10, finishing at the rim 9/10, scoring effectively without dribbling around too much 8/10. He has offensive skills that almost no one in the league can match. His problem always was having to play in Don Nelson's system. It perpetuates a stereotypes of ball hogging and chucking up shots.

If you watched the Lakers Warrior game today you know he doesn't need the ball very long to score. You get him the ball, he is very capable of taking two quick dribbles, doing an ultra quick step back and nailing that midrange jumper in your face. Alternatively, he can blow right by anyone and finish at the rim as good as anyone not named Bron.

His biggest problem was that the Warriors always tried to fastbreak or do ridiculous offensive sets and it made him become a decision maker. He is like Kobe, he can't make very good on the fly decisions while dribbling. He is much much much better in an organized system where he can read the offense and know exactly where everyone is going to be.

Defensively he plays well and does a decent job of guarding sg's. He has quick hands and plays disruptive on sg's that expose the ball via dribbling. He can't stop them at all once they stop and raise up due to his height. If the Warriors get better at defensive they'll understand how to negate this and have him send players more towards Biedrins and Wright on defense.

Honestly, the Warriors have 3 great offensive players in Curry, Ellis and Lee. They need their role players to stay healthy, be lanky, and long and the team would be a lot more solid. If GS is doing well I hope Ellis gets the recognition he deserves as an exceptional sg. He is easily in the top 5 in scoring ability in the league.

In my opinion shooting guards better than him:
Kobe
Wade
Roy
Manu (if healthy)

I think he is better than JJ. JJ can't get to the rim like he does and doesn't really demand as much defensive attention. JJ can shoot but it is hard to build around a jump shooting superstar. I can see how people say JJ though and I think it is just dependent on the system.

Force
10-23-2010, 01:46 AM
With the rules of today, Ellis can AVERAGE 35 a game without that much trouble. No doubt about it.

Shep
10-23-2010, 02:05 AM
u would take manu over roy at this point in their respective careers?
ill take roy but agree with ur list besides tht.
these rankings are not based on what might be accomplished in the future, they are based solely on last season. ginobili was better than roy last season.

me_
10-23-2010, 02:19 AM
I've watched a more GSW games than i usually would last season, but mostly because i was interested to see curry play. From what i saw Ellis does tend to ball hog, but when he does and IF he's hot, he can explode. He can get to the rim with ease and has decent shooting form. But in no way is he a top 5 sg in the league.

Am i underating him?

CF#8RR#9
10-23-2010, 02:37 AM
No respect for Stephen Jackson haha. AND J rich

Noyze
10-23-2010, 02:44 AM
Monta is the type of scorer that keeps you in games but doesn't win them for you.

The_Yearning
10-23-2010, 03:06 AM
He got paid. And he likes to score.

That's about it.

White Chocolate
10-23-2010, 03:20 AM
He's not underrated at all. He's a notch above being a volume scorer. He used to be quite efficient, but now that's he averaging 22 shots a game, he lost a lot of efficiency.

Maga_1
10-23-2010, 03:51 AM
Monta is the real definition of pure scorer for me.

Ron Artest
10-23-2010, 08:07 AM
30 fga for 41 points and 7 turnovers. Zero impact on hte final outcome.

he's a bum

O.J A 6'4Mamba
10-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Monta is the real definition of pure scorer for me.

Monta can fill up it up obviously but he isn't a pure scorer. To be a guy like Kevin Martin is the definition of a pure scorer. No matter what system he plays for or what team if you double him or not he will always get 20+ ppg, always get to the line, always knock down catch and shoots, coming off screens, has 3 point range, great triple threat game.

and can't do much else after that.

Ikill
10-23-2010, 08:52 PM
Brandon roy and dwade are the most underrated guards

Lebron23
10-27-2010, 11:29 PM
It looks like he's going to be the first NBA Player to score 40 points this season.

noob cake
10-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Na Monta is going for 81

I look at Battier defense, it looks picture perfect. The opposing shooting guard is always red hot against him.

Lebron23
10-27-2010, 11:48 PM
27 points in the First Half.

Na Monta is going for 81

I look at Battier defense, it looks picture perfect. The opposing shooting guard is always red hot against him.

Kobe Junior

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

chips93
10-27-2010, 11:51 PM
With the rules of today, Ellis can AVERAGE 35 a game without that much trouble. No doubt about it.

what!?!

he already takes too many shot, is too ball dominant and plays in a fast paced system

i cant see any circumstances that could make him look any better than he really is, than his current situation . . . where he averages 25pg

TMac&Luther
10-27-2010, 11:56 PM
Queitly Scola scored 19 first half points.....He could have a big night too.

Luis Scola is the most underrated big man in the league.

Lebron23
10-28-2010, 01:00 AM
I want to see him lead the NBA in Scoring.

Maga_1
10-28-2010, 01:40 AM
I want to see him lead the NBA in Scoring.

There you go ..

46 points. (with a good % )

d.bball.guy
10-28-2010, 02:03 AM
imo, he is a ball hog

Maga_1
10-28-2010, 02:07 AM
imo, he is a ball hog

But today he was impressive, you gotta admitit it

1manfastbreak
10-28-2010, 02:17 AM
imo, he is a ball hog
:roll:

monta shot over 75% today and scored 46 points.

WRITE IT DOWN. Monta will drop over 60 this season.

Maga_1
10-28-2010, 02:21 AM
:roll:

monta shot over 75% today and scored 46 points.

WRITE IT DOWN. Monta will drop over 60 this season.

I would like to see that, really.

1manfastbreak
10-28-2010, 02:31 AM
I would like to see that, really.

had 27 in the first half on like 10 of 12 shooting. would of had a career high tonight but missed 3 FT's in a row in the 4th. Monta should be a top 3 scorer in the league this season

Maga_1
10-28-2010, 02:35 AM
had 27 in the first half on like 10 of 12 shooting. would of had a career high tonight but missed 3 FT's in a row in the 4th. Monta should be a top 3 scorer in the league this season

Let's see, Curry and Lee didn't have a lot of touchs in offense .. they can start asking for that or Ellis can start chucking.

I hope not, i love Monta Ellis game .. for me, he's a like an taller version of Allen Iverson with even more athletic skills.

Meticode
10-28-2010, 02:38 AM
Monta Ellis could get the same recognition as Allen Iverson. Except he would have to sustain the same stats and level of play he had last year for 10+ years then lead the Warriors to the playoffs continuously while compete for the Finals.

Lebron23
10-28-2010, 02:40 AM
There you go ..

46 points. (with a good % )

Very Efficient Scorer. I remember him averaged 21 ppg on 53 FG% a couple of seasons ago.

Maga_1
10-28-2010, 02:43 AM
Monta Ellis could get the same recognition as Allen Iverson. Except he would have to sustain the same stats and level of play he had last year for 10+ years then lead the Warriors to the playoffs continuously while compete for the Finals.

Not feeling that for now, Monta is still young .. let's see.

BallsOut
10-28-2010, 02:44 AM
I think Ellis is out there playing with a chip on his shoulder after all the people dissing him because of the moped incident and the incident with Steph Curry.

On this GS team, we could see some scoring explosions ala Kobe 05+ (maybe not 81), but this kid can score. Think he had a 60point game before in highschool. Should be a fun year for GS fans.

Maga_1
10-28-2010, 02:48 AM
I think Ellis is out there playing with a chip on his shoulder after all the people dissing him because of the moped incident and the incident with Steph Curry.

On this GS team, we could see some scoring explosions ala Kobe 05+ (maybe not 81), but this kid can score. Think he had a 60point game before in highschool. Should be a fun year for GS fans.

He scored 72 in a high school game.
But many guys scored +60 games in high school.

1manfastbreak
10-28-2010, 03:00 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMzibjK8_Ws

^^ great video. monta dropped 65 on this team, and everyone from that team was talkin sht about the next time they play him hes gona get locked up, and he went out and dropped 72 the next time.

Maga_1
10-28-2010, 03:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMzibjK8_Ws

^^ great video. monta dropped 65 on this team, and everyone from that team was talkin sht about the next time they play him hes gona get locked up, and he went out and dropped 72 the next time.

Sorry for the off topic, but see the first related video .. a "supposed" Steve Nash video :lol

d.bball.guy
10-28-2010, 04:06 AM
But today he was impressive, you gotta admitit it
yeah i see him improving but i just don't want him hurting Steph Curry's game.

Maga_1
10-28-2010, 04:12 AM
yeah i see him improving but i just don't want him hurting Steph Curry's game.

Stephen's game always going to be hurt in GSW, not by Monta but by the franchise.

d.bball.guy
10-28-2010, 04:14 AM
Stephen's game always going to be hurt in GSW, not by Monta but by the franchise.
i wish Mitch can get Steph in the future when Kobe's done:hammerhead:

Maga_1
10-28-2010, 04:20 AM
Curry in Portland it would be awesome :eek:

Baby_D
10-28-2010, 07:49 AM
I know its only been one game but it is looking like even with effective scorers like curry and lee, monta will still have take a large number of shots. He is also another year removed from that ankle injury. What do you think his stat line is going to look like this year. 25-5-5 or so?

INDI
10-28-2010, 08:15 AM
Is Monta Ellis the most underrated guard in the NBA?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no Gilbert Arenas is

coin24
10-28-2010, 08:26 AM
Is Monta Ellis the most underrated guard in the NBA?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no Gilbert Arenas is

:roll: :roll:

I hope you're joking!!
Everyone knows gilbert is an amazingly talented player, its just he's a complete moron and cant stay on the court:facepalm :facepalm

RoTM
10-28-2010, 08:36 AM
I like Monta but I'm gonna have to go with Stephen Jackson on this one.

Kujo
10-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Man, Ellis was a monster last night. If he can stay healthy, don't be surprised if he wins the scoring title.

GSW are fun to watch, regardless.

Bigsmoke
10-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Monta i fun to watch but I'm sure i could get 10ppg playing for the Warriors.

but yea he's a beast though.

Droid101
10-28-2010, 11:38 AM
If he does this all season (play off the ball, receive passes from Curry in scoring position, and run the break like a mad man) rather than what he did last season (try to be a first-option, low percentage/high turnover chucker) he's going to live up to that contract and then some.

I'm rooting for him. I always liked him. Even though last year he hurt my shooting percentages and TO's like crazy in my Fantasy league. He helped with tons of points and steals!

DPittman
10-28-2010, 11:43 AM
he wouldn't be if he got traded to philly for iggy, orlando, chicago

Samvt
10-28-2010, 12:59 PM
No one cares about ellis and granger.

SinJackal
10-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Here is an interesting Monta Ellis interview which might change some people's minds about him.

This was after the Stephen Jackson trade at the beginning of last season.

How tough will it be to lose one of your best players?
"It was tough when we had him. (laughs) Losing him, it's going to be tough. But we've got to find a way to get through it, man. I wish him the best. Now, it's on us. That's what they wanted, so they got it."

Will you have to do more to make up for the loss?
"I'm not (going to) put no more on my back. Somebody else gonna have to step up. I'm not gonna do more, somebody else gonna have to step up and take on the role that Jack had and be that player. But I'm not putting no more extra on my back."

Do you feel a need to be more vocal?
"Nope. Uh, uh. Not at all."

And as if that wasn't enough bus throwin' for one interview, Ellis thinks he is the only player left on the team that plays defense. Yes, defense. Monta Ellis.

"What we've been emphasizing the whole time is defense. That's one of our best defenders on the team. And we're trying to get better as a defensive team. And now, who we got now that's going to play defense? We got me. And who else?"

DPittman
10-28-2010, 01:13 PM
he's not underrated becasue he's aballer, he just can't win.

this season he has the best team aroundhim in a while so we will see what he does with it

1manfastbreak
10-28-2010, 01:15 PM

WHAT? how is it getting hurt? Steph was givin the reigns to the offense as a rookie. he is in a free flowing offense with one of the best scoring 2 guards in the league in Monta and a very good pick and roll big in DLee. steph is a killer

Maga_1
10-28-2010, 01:47 PM
WHAT? how is it getting hurt? Steph was givin the reigns to the offense as a rookie. he is in a free flowing offense with one of the best scoring 2 guards in the league in Monta and a very good pick and roll big in DLee. steph is a killer

But the team is not solid, they're just contenders to make the playoff. He need to be in another team, with the same role but with better opportunities to shine in playoffs.

Samurai Swoosh
10-28-2010, 02:26 PM
He's definitely one of the dumbest players in the league.

icewill36
10-28-2010, 02:29 PM
he's not underrated becasue he's aballer, he just can't win.

this season he has the best team aroundhim in a while so we will see what he does with it

how do you know he can't win ? its not like hes been on a lot of teams that should achieved any more than they did.

DPittman
10-28-2010, 02:31 PM
how do you know he can't win ? its not like hes been on a lot of teams that should achieved any more than they did.

exactly he cannot win

NoGunzJustSkillz
10-28-2010, 02:33 PM
please explain.

sh0wtime
10-28-2010, 02:36 PM
The way he is playing right now he sure might be the most underrated guard in the NBA indeed, that will change if he plays like that.

Last season he was just turnover prone, his assist to turnover ratio was terrible, people even called him "Monturnover Ellis". :D He was also unefficient, many thought he was just "shotjacking".

niko
10-28-2010, 02:43 PM
He's not underrated at all, he's a volume shooter and volume scorer. He's undersized for how he plays, and the fact he cannot, willnot learn to be more efficient puts him in a place i not only think he will not improve, he cannot improve.

So no, he's not overrated at all. He's rated just fine.

Doranku
10-28-2010, 02:47 PM
A one-dimensional chucker who doesn't know how to win?

Nah.

stephanieg
10-28-2010, 02:53 PM
According to WoW, Ellis was among the most overrated players (http://dberri.wordpress.com/2010/09/01/who-was-the-most-overrated-in-2009-10/) last season judged by PER and NBA efficiency vs. WP. So I guess not.

Monta_Ellis
10-28-2010, 03:02 PM
i hope he's an all star this season

Papaya Petee
10-28-2010, 03:18 PM
A one-dimensional chucker who doesn't know how to win?

Nah.
Doesn't know how to win :roll: What will Kobe fans not say?

Look at the kids roster, and then repeat what you just said with a straight face.
According to what you said Kobe from 2004-2007 was a one-dimensional chucker who didn't know how to win neither.

You cannot win by yourself, ever, doesn't work. You need a good team.

Poodle
10-28-2010, 03:28 PM
most people here are bandwagon. they don't realize shit until way after the fact. its the same stupid talk about rings, championships constantly, has beens, etc. people just aren't up to date here since a lot of people don't watch shit firsthand to know.

anyways its pretty funny people think Monta can't shoot high% when he did last night in a high volume of shots, and did it all during the early part of his career. lots of dumbass's like niko here that talk like they know. sad :facepalm

Papaya Petee
10-28-2010, 03:29 PM
most people here are bandwagon. they don't realize shit until way after the fact. its the same stupid talk about rings, championships constantly, has beens, etc. people just aren't up to date here since a lot of people don't watch shit firsthand to know.

anyways its pretty funny people think Monta can't shoot high% when he did last night in a high volume of shots, and did it all during the early part of his career. lots of dumbass's like niko here that talk like they know. sad :facepalm
+1, it's not his fault his team isn't winning. Golden State isn't and never was a winning organization, their coach isn't a winner, and the roster just isn't talented enough. Maybe this year with David Lee and Steph Curry they can squeeze 45 wins.

AI3Anthony
10-28-2010, 03:37 PM
please explain.

Explain? can you not understand that all I was saying is I don't see Monta Ellis play a lot unless he's on nationally televised games, like ESPN or TNT. How could you NOT understand what I wrote...?

d.bball.guy
10-29-2010, 12:01 AM
Just watched the highlights.....:eek: what a beast!

Maga_1
10-29-2010, 12:09 AM
Just watched the highlights.....:eek: what a beast!

Saw it on NBA.com or youtube have a highlight of all the points?

alwaysunny
10-29-2010, 12:12 AM

I couldn't find a full highlight on youtube

bdreason
10-29-2010, 12:15 AM
it's not his fault his team isn't winning.

It's not entirely his fault... but as the highest paid player on the roster, he certainly shares in the losses. Also, Monta certainly shot the Warriors out of a few games last year... but he's been better this season, so far. The main issue is that once he touches to ball, it's gone. If he's hittin shots, great. If he isn't, he doesn't give his teammates any opportunity to contribute.

So, essentially, if Monta is allowed to ballhog, the Warriors win or lose based solely on how he's shooting that night... not a recipe for success. This year, they are running a different offense though, which emphasizes more ball movement... and I'm pretty sure the coach sat Monta down and told him if doesn't operate within the system, he's gonna sit... because he passed to ball more in the first game this season than all of last year (and was still able to drop 40+ as the primary scorer).

chips93
10-29-2010, 12:17 AM
the warriors were substantially better when he was off the court last year, he puts up meaningless stats, and makes his team worse in the process, hes rated just fine

his ability is very high, but hes far too selfish and doesnt play in any discernible team concept

Maga_1
10-29-2010, 12:20 AM
I couldn't find a full highlight on youtube
:rant :rant

d.bball.guy
10-29-2010, 02:07 AM
no the game highlights

Maga_1
10-29-2010, 02:13 AM
no the game highlights

ohhh ok :lol

laronprofit9
10-29-2010, 05:29 AM
Looks like a guy who used to play for the 76ers some several years ago.

blondie
10-29-2010, 05:30 AM
nope. Manu Ginobili is