PDA

View Full Version : 2010/11 Observation Deck

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

InspiredLebowski
11-04-2010, 01:36 AM
We're inside a week now, I figure it's time for a thread of just random observations.

SO, why not start with America's team, Purdue. Beat U of Indy 82-59 in their first exhibition. I've yet to see proof with my own eyes but first hand accounts are saying JaJaun Johnson's 1st team pre-season AA shoulders are now too wide to fit my belt around (I'm about 160lbs soaking wet). Kelsey Barlow apparently looked like crap with 6+ TOs, I'm not sure how and why they happened, Painter experiments with A LOT of lineups (13 guys got minutes, Ryne Smith (?) the start.

Interested in some input from Game on Anthony Johnson, who I know he's seen play live, any resemblance to David Teague to you? I've only seen clips of AJ but Painter said it in a presser a few days ago and I can see the resemblance, not just the build but the pattern of game expansion.

Posterize246
11-04-2010, 10:48 AM
I'm thinking about getting tix to the 2nd day of the "Legends Classic" down in AC. Syracuse, UTEP, GA Tech, and Michigan are the teams.

Jailblazers7
11-04-2010, 05:54 PM
J.J. Moore had 17 in the last exhibition game for Pitt. He hit three 3's too. I'm interested to see him play first hand. I've heard great things about his athleticism. He's a 6'6" 200 lbs. wing.

Apparently Talib Zanna looked good too. From what I hear, he could be a nice post scorer coming off the bench.

HisJoeness
11-04-2010, 05:55 PM
The ACC is probably going to be pretty crappy this year. Outside of Duke and UNC there aren't really any teams that grab your attention and I'm not even sold on UNC yet.

HisJoeness
11-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Maryland spiel after watching the Florida Southern scrimmage:

Berend Weijs looks like he can play a little. He's extremely skinny, but seems to have a good bball IQ and is reasonably athletic.

Ashton Pankey is a nice big body. Legit 6-9, aggressive and stocky. But he doesn't seem very skilled.

James Padgett didn't look much different than last year, disappointing. Was hoping he'd really come around. Not giving up on him though.

Pe'Shon Howard was very unselfish, mostly played off guard. He'll make a highlight pass in every game. Like to see him get more aggressive on offense. He'll be a great on the ball defender.

Terrell Stoglin was the primary ballhandler besides Bowie. All in all, he looked pretty good. It won't surprise me if he eats into Bowie's minutes as the year wears on, particularly in end of game situations.

Bowie and Tucker were very solid. Bowie attached the rim a few times, had a steal and some nice finishes. He also got his pocket picked and didn't look entirely comfortable at the point. I'm a little concerned how he'll handle being the main ball handler against top flight competition. Tucker was all over the court, but mostly under control. Had a nice game, and boy he's long.

Mychal Parker looked a little lost. Not sure how ready he is for prime time.

All in all I came away feeling very good about the Terps. Jordan Williams will be an absolute beast, and there's no shortage of guards capable of getting him the ball and knocking down shots. My only real concern is protecting the basketball. We're much bigger and deeper up front this year with Weijs, Pankey and Padgett.

Posterize246
11-04-2010, 10:29 PM
J.J. Moore had 17 in the last exhibition game for Pitt. He hit three 3's too. I'm interested to see him play first hand. I've heard great things about his athleticism. He's a 6'6" 200 lbs. wing.

Apparently Talib Zanna looked good too. From what I hear, he could be a nice post scorer coming off the bench.
Do you go to Duquesne games? Damian Saunders is a monster. You gotta rep the A-10 man!

Jailblazers7
11-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Do you go to Duquesne games? Damian Saunders is a monster. You gotta rep the A-10 man!

Yeah, I go to as many as possible. I commute from off campus so I miss some games. Plus, I grew up a fairly big Temple fan (my other team besides Pitt) so people always get pissed when I talk trash lol. We have a freshman named TJ McConnell (nephew of Susie McConnell WNBA star) that willl see a lot of play time. Im excited to see him play D1 because hes from around here and I played against him in HS.

Posterize246
11-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Little off topic, but I thought it was hilarious Tyler Hansbrough received thunderous boo's at the Sixers game the other night even when Philly was up 20+. The UNC/Nova final four matchup still on their mind. :lol

InspiredLebowski
11-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Our first awesome buzzer beater (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAW9qyeiSRM)

Hawker
11-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Our first awesome buzzer beater (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAW9qyeiSRM)

That video looks like it came straight out of the '90s.

Posterize246
11-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Tennessee loses to D2 Indianapolis

IlliniFan
11-08-2010, 11:53 PM
:oldlol: Where's TennesseFan at? Is he still saying they're a top 10 team? :oldlol:

Posterize246
11-08-2010, 11:58 PM
I just saw the score. 79-64 :roll:

KG215
11-09-2010, 12:08 AM

Don't tell TennesseeFan, they're a lock for the Final Four in his mind.

Jailblazers7
11-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Bruce Pearls seat just got hotter.

HisJoeness
11-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Posterize, didn't you do a "Play/Dunk of the Week" thread? I have a candidate if you still do that.

Posterize246
11-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Posterize, didn't you do a "Play/Dunk of the Week" thread? I have a candidate if you still do that.
I did a "Statline of the Night" thread but it never lasted

Posterize246
11-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Lavoy Allen needs 189 rebounds to become Temple's all-time rebounding leader. That's like 6 a game.

InspiredLebowski
11-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Royce White got denied his waiver to play right away at Iowa State.

Posterize246
11-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Steve Lavin right back to being a top recruiter. Signed three 4* players today for '11 and got a verbal from one more.

D'Angelo Harrison (41)
Jakarr Sampson (44)
Maurice Harkless (45)
Dominique Pointer (81)

St. John's hasn't even won 20 games in a season since '02-03 but Lavin seems to have them headed in the right direction.

Jackass18
11-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Maryland barely edges out College of Charleston 75-74 after some terrible, terrible FT shooting (5-18). A Freshman, Pe'Shon Howard, hit the game-winner with about 5 seconds left. This year looks to be a struggle.

GOheAT
11-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Tennessee will be fine. See Syracuse last season.

Posterize246
11-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Tennessee will be fine. See Syracuse last season.
There's a difference between losing by one basket and losing by 15, as well as a difference in talent level between last year's Syracuse team and Tennessee.

TennesseeFan
11-10-2010, 11:42 PM
There's a difference between losing by one basket and losing by 15, as well as a difference in talent level between last year's Syracuse team and Tennessee.

Bruce Pearl is fine. There is no hot seat. Tennessee will be fine. They will be beasts of the east.

TheGame414
11-11-2010, 03:49 AM
Bruce Pearl is fine. There is no hot seat. Tennessee will be fine. They will be beasts of the east.

"NOOOO!!!!!!!:

Well, despite Bart Simpson's elections, the people of South Africa can now vote in free, democratic elections!"

UConnCeltics
11-11-2010, 07:58 AM
1/22/11 - Tennessee @ UConn.

UConn should rape in that game. This year's UConn > last year's UConn.

Jailblazers7
11-11-2010, 01:15 PM
1/22/11 - Tennessee @ UConn.

UConn should rape in that game. This year's UConn > last year's UConn.

Uconn football is about to get beat on tonight.

InspiredLebowski
11-11-2010, 04:17 PM
National top 20 2011 Cody Zeller committed to Indiana today. What a homo.

UConnCeltics
11-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Uconn football is about to get beat on tonight.
Well, it seems to be the teams' goal in the Big East is to further devaluate the Big East football brand. Wouldn't be spurprised to see UConn win.

Jailblazers7
11-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Well, it seems to be the teams' goal in the Big East is to further devaluate the Big East football brand. Wouldn't be spurprised to see UConn win.

:oldlol:

True. Big East football is beyond awful. Going to a BCS game would be nice for recruiting recognition and $$$ but the national embarassment would be painful. It looks like Pitt has the best shot of winning the Big East.

Posterize246
11-11-2010, 06:38 PM
I will be sitting 1 row behind the Seton Hall bench tomorrow and will be heckling Jeremy Hazell uncontrollably should he sit down for a second.

IlliniFan
11-11-2010, 06:53 PM
I hope he's ready to hear a lot of clapping.

DeuceWallaces
11-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Kanter ruled ineligible. What a crock of shit.

Posterize246
11-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Villanova freshman Pinkston getting assault charges...

Assault charges will be filed against Villanova basketball player JayVaughn Pinkston for a fight that occurred at an offcampus party early Sunday morning, police said.

Pinkston will be charged with two counts each of simple assault and harassment and he is the only one facing charges as a result of the incident, police said.

Pinkston, a freshman forward from Brooklyn, N.Y., who was named New York state’s player of the year last season, was attending a party at a residential house on Keebler Road near Langdale Court in Upper Merion Township when “an argument ensued between Mr. Pinkston and several of the attendees,” Upper Merion Police Sgt. Jeffery Maurer said.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/Assault_charges_filed_against_Novas_Pinkston.html# ixzz151ljdYVq

KG215
11-11-2010, 10:03 PM

Was Purdue even in the mix? Or is it just sour grapes he went to the other Big 10 Indiana school?

I thought it came down to Indiana and North Carolina, and word around UNC was that he had been a silent commit to Indiana for a while now.

ukfan22
11-11-2010, 11:52 PM
Kanter ruled ineligible. What a crock of shit.

When I first heard the 33k figure, I thought it was the right ruling. But after reading the Decourcey article, I'm upset. The NCAA says he took $33,033 over necessary expenses. But $20,000 was spent on his education. The rest was left unused in an account. If that is provable through bank documents, then this is the wrong decision. The Kanters took extra money to pay for his education, but ended up not needing all of it. And they didn't even spend the surplus money! They just left it there and have been offering to pay not only that back, but the 20k they spent on his education. This is the WRONG decision and hopefully he wins on appeal.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/feed/2010-09/enes-kanter

InspiredLebowski
11-12-2010, 02:13 AM
Was Purdue even in the mix? Or is it just sour grapes he went to the other Big 10 Indiana school?

I thought it came down to Indiana and North Carolina, and word around UNC was that he had been a silent commit to Indiana for a while now.No, Purdue was never in it. There was like the early courtesy interest from both sides but it wasn't ever gonna happen. No sour grapes really, at least he stayed in state, though I'd have much preferred Butler. No one really knows anything, the Zeller family's obviously been through this recruiting thing before but most people had the general feeling he was very much IU's to lose.

IlliniFan
11-12-2010, 02:41 AM

I thought it came down to Indiana and North Carolina, and word around UNC was that he had been a silent commit to Indiana for a while now.
"Silent commitments" mean absolutely nothing.

noob cake
11-12-2010, 02:51 AM
When I first heard the 33k figure, I thought it was the right ruling. But after reading the Decourcey article, I'm upset. The NCAA says he took $33,033 over necessary expenses. But $20,000 was spent on his education. The rest was left unused in an account. If that is provable through bank documents, then this is the wrong decision. The Kanters took extra money to pay for his education, but ended up not needing all of it. And they didn't even spend the surplus money! They just left it there and have been offering to pay not only that back, but the 20k they spent on his education. This is the WRONG decision and hopefully he wins on appeal.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/feed/2010-09/enes-kanter

lol Kentucky fans.

33k PROVEN over the necessary expenses. Calipari wanted to play a professional club player. Even if he took NOTHING from the club (which has been proven false), a professional player should not be able to play in the NCAA.

KG215
11-12-2010, 04:51 AM
"Silent commitments" mean absolutely nothing.

I agree, but in this case, it proved to be true.

ukfan22
11-12-2010, 05:13 AM
lol Kentucky fans.

33k PROVEN over the necessary expenses. Calipari wanted to play a professional club player. Even if he took NOTHING from the club (which has been proven false), a professional player should not be able to play in the NCAA.

I see you didn't read the article. $20,000 of the $33k figure went to pay for school, but since the NCAA has a rule that states education must be paid for directly by the team, they've lumped it into the amount over "necessary expenses". You decide if education is a necessary expense or not.

As for the rest, around $13k, it's what was left over from the expense money the Kanters received on a monthly basis, which, despite what you believe, is not against NCAA rules. And what did they do with this surplus money? NOTHING, they just left it there and have been offering to pay it back this entire time, along with the $20k spent on school. This demonstrates clear intent NOT to become a professional, which was supposed to be important to the NCAA. Hopefully the appeals board will see it differently, a la Dee Bost, Jermiah Masoli, etc.

Please respond with something of substance, not just Calipari bashing.

Posterize246
11-12-2010, 12:12 PM
This cracked me up...

Quick Seton Hall basketball quiz: Which quote from Jeremy Hazell is from last fall, and which is from this autumn?

"I won’t have to shoot all the shots that I did last year because I’ve got great players around me."

"I won’t have to take a lot of the shots I took last year. I’ve got more options around me."

Not easy, is it? For the record, the first quote was from last week at Seton Hall’s media day, and the second was from the Pirates’ media day in October 2009.

Tonight will be a repeat of this. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=293532550) Can't wait.

boozehound
11-12-2010, 03:37 PM
I see you didn't read the article. $20,000 of the $33k figure went to pay for school, but since the NCAA has a rule that states education must be paid for directly by the team, they've lumped it into the amount over "necessary expenses". You decide if education is a necessary expense or not.

As for the rest, around $13k, it's what was left over from the expense money the Kanters received on a monthly basis, which, despite what you believe, is not against NCAA rules. And what did they do with this surplus money? NOTHING, they just left it there and have been offering to pay it back this entire time, along with the $20k spent on school. This demonstrates clear intent NOT to become a professional, which was supposed to be important to the NCAA. Hopefully the appeals board will see it differently, a la Dee Bost, Jermiah Masoli, etc.

Please respond with something of substance, not just Calipari bashing.
meh. that 20 k for school is still above and beyond based on the NCAA rules (as you point out). They can appeal, but they wont win it.

ukfan22
11-12-2010, 08:58 PM
meh. that 20 k for school is still above and beyond based on the NCAA rules (as you point out). They can appeal, but they wont win it.
Appeals work all the time, because the appeals board looks at context and circumstances and not just the letter of the law(rules). Dee Bost or Jerimiah Masoli ring a bell? And the amount spent on school has nothing to do with it, it's just that it went to the parents first instead of directly from the team. Apparently it's ok for the Kanters to receive money for housing, travel, medical, etc. but not education. Nice rule, NCAA.

ILLsmak
11-12-2010, 09:16 PM
I got an observation:

Jared Sullinger looks tiny out there and he's getting his shot blocked a lot. But he is a beast on the boards (although it's against a weak team.) He almost looks like a SF or a Guard out there, though.

I've seen him get blocked 3 times already (one was ruled a foul even though it wasnt IMO.)

-Smak

ukfan22
11-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Terrence Jones with 25 and 12:bowdown:

UK wins 88-65, shoots 13-26 from three.

Watching MSU on the Big 10 Network, they look very good.

Posterize246
11-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Almost choked in the end but pulled out the 6 point win in the opener (we were up 16 with 4 mins left and it got to within 4). Offense wasn't crisp but the D was as sticky as always.

HisJoeness
11-12-2010, 11:45 PM
LOL at Wake Forest.

IlliniFan
11-13-2010, 02:13 AM
LOL at Wake Forest.
:oldlol: When I first read who they lost to I thought it said the Stetson Haters.:lol

InspiredLebowski
11-13-2010, 02:16 AM
LOL at Wake Forest.Bet Bzdelik's fresh new lawn's gonna need some landscaping after all the For Sale signs.

HisJoeness
11-13-2010, 02:26 AM
LOL at Wake Forest.

:oldlol: When I first read who they lost to I thought it said the Stetson Haters.:lol

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Bet Bzdelik's fresh new lawn's gonna need some landscaping after all the For Sale signs.

I browse their message boards occasionally and they weren't to thrilled with him before tonight, needless to say they are in full meltdown mode already.

UConnCeltics
11-13-2010, 08:19 AM
UConn hit 8 three pointers last night. Couldn't believe it. I can't remember the last time they had a good 3 point showing... maybe against Chattanooga in the first round of the NCAAs a few years back.

UNCNY
11-13-2010, 11:00 AM
We got some work to do. Larry Drew sucks,and kendall Marshall needs to start. I really like hwo teh freshmen played. They will get better,and become a very good team. Barnes needs to attack the hoop more.

ctown4eva
11-13-2010, 03:14 PM
I got an observation:

Jared Sullinger looks tiny out there and he's getting his shot blocked a lot. But he is a beast on the boards (although it's against a weak team.) He almost looks like a SF or a Guard out there, though.

I've seen him get blocked 3 times already (one was ruled a foul even though it wasnt IMO.)

-Smak

I was at the game, sitting about 20 feet from Sullinger every time he was under the basket, and I can assure you that he was getting hacked mercilessly the whole game. Often to no call..

Here's an observation: Deshaun Thomas could be a bigger factor than Sullinger this year.

irondarts
11-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Kentucky looked great. Brandon Knight and Terrence Jones looked great. Why did Knight cut off his cornrows?

Harrison Barnes looked nice as well.

ILLsmak
11-13-2010, 08:56 PM
I was at the game, sitting about 20 feet from Sullinger every time he was under the basket, and I can assure you that he was getting hacked mercilessly the whole game. Often to no call..

Here's an observation: Deshaun Thomas could be a bigger factor than Sullinger this year.

I dunno, man... he did get blocked. What do you consider a hack? A guy of Sullinger's size shouldn't be getting his shot blocked period. Even if he gets hacked, he should have at least got the ball up on the rim.

They didn't have anyone that was big enough to be blocking him. He kind of reminds me of Shaun Pruitt in that he'll just decide he's shooting and everyone knows it so someone can come from the weak side and block him or come from behind.

Hey, I think he's a great player... but that was kind of disheartening. He shouldn't be waiting on the whistle he should be taking that shit up, making it, and screaming and1!

Just my opinion...

-Smak

IlliniFan
11-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Brandon Paul just posterized someone from SIU. That was nasty.

TheGame414
11-14-2010, 05:45 AM
I dunno, man... he did get blocked. What do you consider a hack? A guy of Sullinger's size shouldn't be getting his shot blocked period. Even if he gets hacked, he should have at least got the ball up on the rim.

They didn't have anyone that was big enough to be blocking him. He kind of reminds me of Shaun Pruitt in that he'll just decide he's shooting and everyone knows it so someone can come from the weak side and block him or come from behind.

Hey, I think he's a great player... but that was kind of disheartening. He shouldn't be waiting on the whistle he should be taking that shit up, making it, and screaming and1!

Just my opinion...

-Smak
Shaun Pruitt never had a game as a senior in which he was as physically dominating as Jared Sullinger was last night.

Unless you're Shaq, if you play around the basket you're gonna get a shot or two knocked away. Carlos Boozer has been one of the most efficient, dominant interior players in the NBA and in recent years has ranked pretty high on the list of percentage of shots blocked. So have Al Jefferson, Andrew Bynum, and Dwight Howard in certain years. So it doesn't just happen to slightly undersized power forwards. The point is, it happens. When you primarily play in the paint, you're gonna get some shots blocked.

Posterize246
11-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Brandon Paul just posterized someone from SIU. That was nasty.
I saw pics of it but any video?

Posterize246
11-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Can't go to the game today but seeing as how Illinois beat Toledo by 39 I'm sure we'll be okay.

TheGame414
11-14-2010, 03:40 PM
I saw pics of it but any video?
Here (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=303170356)

IlliniFan
11-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Can't go to the game today but seeing as how Illinois beat Toledo by 39 I'm sure we'll be okay.
Toledo is awful. I think they only have 5 scholarship players.

steve
11-14-2010, 07:56 PM
We got some work to do. Larry Drew sucks,and kendall Marshall needs to start. I really like hwo teh freshmen played. They will get better,and become a very good team. Barnes needs to attack the hoop more.
It just occurred to me that Larry Drew II is Larry Drew's (coach of the Hawks) son. Didn't watch the game, but it looked like Mendenhall and Bullock outplayed Drew and Strickland by quite a bit. Barnes will be fine as soon as his feet get wet, although he's never struck me as the kind of player that is going to constantly attack the basket.

Watching Duke now, and they're blowing out Princeton (which is hardly surprising), but I'm not overly impressed with this squad. They're obviously going to be a very good but their frontline doesn't impress me at all.

InspiredLebowski
11-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Purdue's redshirting Anthony Johnson

HisJoeness
11-15-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm not really a Women's BB guy but is anyone gonna check out the Baylor/UCONN game?

KG215
11-15-2010, 08:36 PM
I'm not really a Women's BB guy but is anyone gonna check out the Baylor/UCONN game?

I'm actually intrigued by the matchup. I don't now what UConn has coming back, but Baylor has Griner and pretty much everyone else from a year ago. Griner is the most disruptive force I've ever seen in woman's college hoops. Granted, it helps that she's a dude, but still.

KG215
11-15-2010, 08:46 PM
It just occurred to me that Larry Drew II is Larry Drew's (coach of the Hawks) son. Didn't watch the game, but it looked like Mendenhall and Bullock outplayed Drew and Strickland by quite a bit. Barnes will be fine as soon as his feet get wet, although he's never struck me as the kind of player that is going to constantly attack the basket.

Watching Duke now, and they're blowing out Princeton (which is hardly surprising), but I'm not overly impressed with this squad. They're obviously going to be a very good but their frontline doesn't impress me at all.

Who in the hell is Mendenhall? I'm assuming you mean McDonald? Maybe?

GOheAT
11-15-2010, 09:51 PM
I'm actually intrigued by the matchup. I don't now what UConn has coming back, but Baylor has Griner and pretty much everyone else from a year ago. Griner is the most disruptive force I've ever seen in woman's college hoops. Granted, it helps that she's a dude, but still.

Maya Moore will be back, they lost Tina Charles and 4 other seniors, they have 2 star freshman players in Bria Hartley and Stephanie Dolson and 3 other freshmen with them on the bench. Maya Moore and Lorin Dixon are the only two seniors.

HisJoeness
11-15-2010, 11:00 PM
LMAO @ Georgia Tech.

Posterize246
11-15-2010, 11:15 PM
Morris twins have been doin work to start the year.

KG215
11-16-2010, 12:43 AM
Kennesaw State handing Georgia Tech a 17 point drubbing.

Way to represent the ACC GT. Hewitt, your days are numbered.

HisJoeness
11-16-2010, 12:51 AM
Kennesaw State handing Georgia Tech a 17 point drubbing.

Way to represent the ACC GT. Hewitt, your days are numbered.

:lol

I'm not so sure. He should have been fired like 4 years ago.

Posterize246
11-16-2010, 12:56 AM
I'm going to La Salle/Baylor tomorrow. My friend goes there and had one of his buddies get me a free ticket using his ID. I put every game except for 3 on my DVR. Even the Robert Morris game so I can watch Karon Abraham again. Dude went nuts against Nova in the tourney.

KG215
11-16-2010, 02:08 AM
:lol

I'm not so sure. He should have been fired like 4 years ago.

It's no secret that he's a bad coach. He's saved his job several times by having good recruiting classes lined up. I agree, though, he should've been fired several years ago. There's been a number of years that Georgia Tech's roster, on paper, was one of the three most talented in the ACC, but they would finish in the bottom half of the standings.

TennesseeFan
11-16-2010, 02:21 AM
You guys remember when Tennessee was #1 for a day? I felt like one of those OneWish kids on ESPN.

Rose
11-16-2010, 02:40 AM
Memphis shoots ALOT of 3s, some of them open, and tonight might be just a bad night but they're 2-15 right now I believe from 3 point land.

TennesseeFan
11-16-2010, 03:00 AM
lol that Memphis player missed the dunk lol

That cheerleader looked ugly as hell.

DeronMillsap
11-16-2010, 03:00 AM
Tonight is Midnight Madness or something?

At least it is between Miami and Memphis.

Hurricanes going for the upset. 59-59 with 6 mins left.

TennesseeFan
11-16-2010, 03:01 AM
Wow, this Memphis team blows. Tennessee will take care of their ass easy.

HisJoeness
11-16-2010, 03:19 AM
That Crawford kid has bailed out Memphis all morning. Antonio looks like he wasn't just a throw in with Will.

KG215
11-16-2010, 03:24 AM
Memphis and Kansas layed a nailbiter down to the wire type game like this last yaer during the Marathon IIRC.

Has Will Barton not played much? I haven't heard his name very many times, and just saw in the box score and saw an underwhelming stat line...

0/3 FG, 1/2 FT, 1 pt, 2 TO, 2 REB, 0 AST

I mean I know he's a true freshman, but I expected a little more from a top 10 recruit.

Joe Jackson has looked pretty good, though, and the transfer from New Orleans (Charles Carmouche) has been surprisingly solid.

Joe Jackson has 17 pts, 4 asts, 3 rebs, 2 stls

Rose
11-16-2010, 03:26 AM
I love Witherspoon, and Carmouche has looked pretty solid, and I love his expression at the free throw line. pulled this one outta our asses.

Completely forgot about Joe, he looked very solid offensively and defensively.

HisJoeness
11-16-2010, 03:27 AM
I don't it was but both these teams seemed horribly coached.

KG215
11-16-2010, 03:35 AM
I love Witherspoon, and Carmouche has looked pretty solid, and I love his expression at the free throw line. pulled this one outta our asses.

Completely forgot about Joe, he looked very solid offensively and defensively.

Jackson had a sick debut.

The Carmouche transfer looks like it's going to be great for Memphis.

Rose
11-16-2010, 03:37 AM
The Carmouche transfer looks like it's going to be great for Memphis.
As long as he doesn't try to dunk it.:roll:

KG215
11-16-2010, 03:41 AM
Nothing like a former ESPN analyst going back to the bench to coach.

Now, everytime St. John's is on ESPN, we'll get to hear the commentators make too many references about Lavin and how he used to work for ESPN.

Also, it's very weird when them show the St. John's bench and seeing Gene Keady sitting there as an assistant.

KG215
11-16-2010, 03:49 AM
Wow, this Memphis team blows. Tennessee will take care of their ass easy.

Just like they took care of that D2 team, right?

TennesseeFan
11-16-2010, 04:20 AM
Just like they took care of that D2 team, right?

Not on their record. Beat a much better Chattanooga team by 20. Irrelevant.

TennesseeFan
11-16-2010, 04:43 AM
Why did St. Mary's fall off so much? I know they lost that big dude...but still.

KG215
11-16-2010, 04:53 AM
Why did St. Mary's fall off so much? I know they lost that big dude...but still.
What do you mean??

We have no idea if they "fell off" from a year ago right now. They're beating a solid and veteran St. John's team right now. It's not like they're beating a nobody. St. Mary's may not be ranked and may not have Samhan, but they've got several key perimeter players back.

Steindl of SMC is putting on a shooting clinic. St. Mary's is putting on a very nice show of great ball movement in the half-court and getting him great open looks.

TennesseeFan
11-16-2010, 05:01 AM
oh, I thought St. Johns still sucked.

KG215
11-16-2010, 05:11 AM
oh, I thought St. Johns still sucked.

They've got 10 seniors, picked to finish 6th in the Big East, and an improved coaching staff.

They aren't a top 25 team but they definitely aren't a pushover.

KG215
11-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Don't know why I've stayed up all night watching these games. I've got 9:30 class, but so far, all three games have been good ones.

Central Michigan and Hawaii just finished up a good one. Hawaii won 65-62.

Trey Ziegler, top 30-40 2010 recruit, who spurned big name schools to play for his dad at CMU went for 24 points.

CMU only played 7 guys, and of those seven, Andre Coimbra (6'9") and William McClue (6'7") are their only bigs.

Maga_1
11-16-2010, 08:22 AM
Wow i'm seeing this Stony Brook x Monmouth, and it's HORRIBLE !
How can a game like this be televised? They're horrible players.

Posterize246
11-16-2010, 11:34 AM
I'm going to La Salle/Baylor tomorrow. My friend goes there and had one of his buddies get me a free ticket using his ID. I put every game except for 3 on my DVR. Even the Robert Morris game so I can watch Karon Abraham again. Dude went nuts against Nova in the tourney.
This is why I don't talk to my friends when they're high. Guy swears he can get me tickets to the game and gets me all hype only to wake up to a text in the morning saying "hey dude sorry I just realized the game is in Texas"

I need new friends.

Maga_1
11-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Saw Robert Morris x Kent State, it was a nice game.
Nice comeback by Kent State at the 2nd half, but the undersized frontcourt from Robert Morris amazed me all game.

I was trying to stay awake to see the next game, but i'm tired.

Posterize246
11-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Wow i'm seeing this Stony Brook x Monmouth, and it's HORRIBLE !
How can a game like this be televised? They're horrible players.
My friend is a sophomore for Monmouth. :lol

IlliniFan
11-16-2010, 11:54 AM
haha let him know he's a horrible player.

Posterize246
11-16-2010, 11:55 AM
he teabagged me on a fastbreak 2 years ago so it's a little tough to tell him that :oldlol:

TennesseeFan
11-16-2010, 12:33 PM

BETTER THAN YOU

Maga_1
11-16-2010, 02:28 PM

What's his name Posterize?

HisJoeness
11-16-2010, 02:32 PM
This is why I don't talk to my friends when they're high. Guy swears he can get me tickets to the game and gets me all hype only to wake up to a text in the morning saying "hey dude sorry I just realized the game is in Texas"

I need new friends.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Posterize246
11-16-2010, 02:34 PM
What's his name Posterize?
marcus ware

HisJoeness
11-16-2010, 02:39 PM
My friend is a coach for Monmouth.

He's not really my friend but he went to Maryland.

Maga_1
11-16-2010, 02:40 PM
marcus ware

Didn't he shoot the last shoot today? I think so ..

Posterize246
11-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Didn't he shoot the last shoot today? I think so ..
I wasn't awake to watch it but by the game recap I read it was someone else.

HisJoeness
11-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Is the V. Tech-KSU game apart of a tourney or just a single OOC game.

KG215
11-16-2010, 02:47 PM
I live about 45 minutes away from where Steven Idlet played in high school and got to watch him play a few times. I couldn't figure out, for the life of me, why there weren't more big name schools recruiting him. He wouldn't be a star at a Kansas, or North Carolina, etc., but the fact that no other D1 schools were recruiting him was a little mind boggling.

Maga_1
11-16-2010, 02:47 PM
I wasn't awake to watch it but by the game recap I read it was someone else.

I think it was him, as i remember. Number 21 forward, a very good shoot that just touched and almost broke the backboard :oldlol:

Posterize246
11-16-2010, 02:49 PM
I think it was him, as i remember. Number 21 forward, a ver good shoot that just touched and almost broke the backboard :oldlol:
lol he's #21

http://www.gomuhawks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14300&ATCLID=204819588

comes off the bench. he was 2-6 for 4 points and 3 boards

Game recap says it was RJ Rutledge that missed the game winner though, see if I can find out.

Maga_1
11-16-2010, 02:50 PM
It was him, i am almost sure .. It was a desesperation shoot. :lol

TennesseeFan
11-16-2010, 03:42 PM
holy shit I didn't know Tennessee was in the NIT.

Lets do this shit *****

Posterize246
11-16-2010, 04:13 PM
North Philly is representing right now.

Posterize246
11-16-2010, 05:05 PM
They showed someone that's in Frank Martin's "dog house", maybe the last place on Earth I'd wanna be.

DeronMillsap
11-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Jacob Pullen = Jameer Nelson?

I've only seen one or two K-State games and his game looks like Jameer.

TennesseeFan
11-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Jacob Pullen = Jameer Nelson?

I've only seen one or two K-State games and his game looks like Jameer.

He's undercover:pimp:

Gonna be damn hard when hes drafted and hes supposed to play Orlando.

But actually with Orlando's luck, they'll probably draft him again.

Posterize246
11-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Wow Pullen gets his 3rd foul 8 mins into the game, VA Tech needs to take advantage.

Rose
11-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Pullen:facepalm

TennesseeFan
11-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Who would win in a basketball game, '08-'11 UConn women, or '71-'74 UCLA men?

HisJoeness
11-16-2010, 05:59 PM
Spradling is playing nicely.

KG215
11-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Who would win in a basketball game, '08-'11 UConn women, or '71-'74 UCLA men?

Really?

DeronMillsap
11-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Maya Moore is fine as hell. :bowdown:

TennesseeFan
11-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Really?

It was a blatant joke :facepalm

TennesseeFan
11-16-2010, 08:55 PM
I told you guys Florida was overrated.

IlliniFan
11-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Florida being overrated doesn't change the fact that Tennessee is not even close to as good as you say they are. This game just goes to show how much better the Big 10 is than the SEC.

TennesseeFan
11-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Florida being overrated doesn't change the fact that Tennessee is not even close to as good as you say they are. This game just goes to show how much better the Big 10 is than the SEC.

Tennessee was pretty close to beating a Big 10 team to go to the Final 4, and beat the best team in the Big 10 last year to go to the Elite 8, so I would shut up if I were you.

HisJoeness
11-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Florida is going to be an extremely hard to beat if they gel. They just kinda wilted down the stretch tonight.

IlliniFan
11-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Tennessee was pretty close to beating a Big 10 team to go to the Final 4, and beat the best team in the Big 10 last year to go to the Elite 8, so I would shut up if I were you.
1. We're talking about this year. I couldn't care less what happened last year.
2. Please don't tell me you're even trying to argue that the SEC is even close to as good as the big 10 this year in basketball.

TennesseeFan
11-16-2010, 09:46 PM
1. We're talking about this year. I couldn't care less what happened last year.
2. Please don't tell me you're even trying to argue that the SEC is even close to as good as the big 10 this year in basketball.

Tennessee is better. Big 10 fans were saying the same thing last year around this time.

Jailblazers7
11-16-2010, 10:16 PM
I was more impressed with OSU than being dissapointed by Florida. They wore down in the second half but this team could be very good down the line.

And I see no reason to saay Tenn is better at this point besides someones homerism.

TennesseeFan
11-16-2010, 10:26 PM
I was more impressed with OSU than being dissapointed by Florida. They wore down in the second half but this team could be very good down the line.

And I see no reason to saay Tenn is better at this point besides someones homerism.

Their Melo-esque freshman All-American Tobias Harris is a good argument :pimp:

TennesseeFan
11-16-2010, 10:44 PM
VOLZ 4 LYFE BIOTCHES

WE DA BESS

Jailblazers7
11-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Butler looks awful right now. No one on their team can handle Louisville's pressure besides Mack. And Matt Howard has already spent some time on the bench in foul trouble, shocker.

TennesseeFan
11-16-2010, 11:03 PM
Tobias Harris is pretty much the "Tyler Smith that could have been."

HisJoeness
11-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Their Melo-esque freshman All-American Tobias Harris is a good argument :pimp:

Tobias cost us three straight titles with his stupid decision.

TennesseeFan
11-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Tobias cost us three straight titles with his stupid decision.

Pearl is just that good dude :pimp:

If Tennessee got Josh Selby, damn that would have been incredible.

TennesseeFan
11-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Hopson is hurt.

Fvck.

HisJoeness
11-16-2010, 11:32 PM
Seriously if Gary snags Tobias we are a Top 10 team with a legit shot at the ACC title and a Final 8 run. :banghead:

TennesseeFan
11-17-2010, 12:31 AM
Hopson and Harris are turning out to be a really good combo.

And whenever Hopson is having a bad night, Harris can bail him out.

Harris is making everybody better. Hellz yea :pimp:

Posterize246
11-17-2010, 12:43 AM
Tennessee choking? against a team from the (wherethehelldotheyplay?) conferene

HisJoeness
11-17-2010, 12:46 AM
Tennessee choking? against a team from the (wherethehelldotheyplay?) conferene

The Atlantic Sun I believe. They have been killing "giants" this year. (Kennesaw over GT, Stetson over Wake).

Jailblazers7
11-17-2010, 12:52 AM
Seriously if Gary snags Tobias we are a Top 10 team with a legit shot at the ACC title and a Final 8 run. :banghead:

And now they're just a team who is going to lose to Pitt on Thursday night.

TennesseeFan
11-17-2010, 12:55 AM
Scared the hell out of me for a lil bit, Belmonts a solid team, pretty sure they were picked to finish 1st or 2nd in their conference or something. Goins got hurt mid game so they had to close out with a freshman PG and made a few mistakes down the stretch, but their FT shooting is way better, and had some clutch possessions and rebounds down the stretch.

Tennessee 85, Belmont 76, good win guys. :cheers:

TennesseeFan
11-17-2010, 12:57 AM
I doubt they will be developed enough to beat Villanova though, if they play them in the NIT final. There are just some kinks to work out, especially in the turnover department. But will definitely give them a fight.

HisJoeness
11-17-2010, 12:57 AM
And now they're just a team who is going to lose to Pitt on Thursday night.

*shots fired* lol

But we'll still end up with 25 wins even with that loss.

TennesseeFan
11-17-2010, 12:59 AM
What a beast :pimp:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/photos?gameId=303202633&photoId=960684#photo_960684

IlliniFan
11-17-2010, 01:09 AM
What a beast :pimp:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/photos?gameId=303202633&photoId=960684#photo_960684
Congrats on the 9 point win over a 12 loss team from last year.

TennesseeFan
11-17-2010, 01:14 AM
Congrats on the 9 point win over a 12 loss team from last year.

Young, yet clutch. Sure they made mistakes, but they will get it together. They will rise. Rome wasn't built in a day. Syracuse had problems to fix when Carmelo began to lead the helm. Carmelo 2.0 has to do the same. #1 HS SF *****, umad?

WE DA BESS

KG215
11-17-2010, 01:33 AM
Young, yet clutch. Sure they made mistakes, but they will get it together. They will rise. Rome wasn't built in a day. Syracuse had problems to fix when Carmelo began to lead the helm. Carmelo 2.0 has to do the same. #1 HS SF *****, umad?
WE DA BESS

You're going to quickly ruin what used to be a part of ISH that was free of posters like you.

It'd be great if you didn't frequent the college hoops board much this year. I'm guessing that's not going to happen, and we're going to have to sift through your posts about Tennessee being a Final Four team or "da bess" after a 14 point win over some crap SEC team or non-conference opponent.

TennesseeFan
11-17-2010, 01:37 AM
You're going to quickly ruin what used to be a part of ISH that was free of posters like you.

It'd be great if you didn't frequent the college hoops board much this year. I'm guessing that's not going to happen, and we're going to have to sift through your posts about Tennessee being a Final Four team or "da bess" after a 14 point win over some crap SEC team or non-conference opponent.

I actually lol'd.

Its going to be a fun season :lol

HisJoeness
11-17-2010, 01:51 AM
No way hell San Diego State is this good on offense. They're hitting everything.

HisJoeness
11-17-2010, 02:04 AM
No way Billy White is this good, no way.

Rose
11-17-2010, 02:06 AM
Almost went to the Belmont-UT game, but decided to stay home and watch my Bulls, and also work on my papers. bad decision by me!

KG215
11-17-2010, 02:07 AM
Yeah, I don't know if SDSU is this good, but I think they're a borderline top 25 team. They're a very solid team.

Billy White from SDSU is putting on a show: 14/18, 30 points, 9 rebounds.

I don't know how good SDSU really is, but they are on the verge of making a pretty big early season statement.

HisJoeness
11-17-2010, 02:16 AM
I know all too well what Gonzaga fans are through watching their team attempt a comeback, force a miss, watch both teams play volleyball with the miss, and still can't grab the defensive rebound.

TennesseeFan
Almost went to the Belmont-UT game, but decided to stay home and watch my Bulls, and also work on my papers. bad decision by me!

Where do you live?

ukfan22
Zags can't pull a board.

KG215
11-17-2010, 02:29 AM
SDSU should be ranked in the top 20. I don't care if they were just on fire tonight. You don't go into Gonzaga and beat them that soundly. I know I've heard multiple "experts" tab them as this year's potential mid-major Final Four crasher. At the very least, know one should be surprised if they make an Elite 8 run this year.

ukfan22
11-17-2010, 02:33 AM
Well I wouldn't say they beat them soundly, and I think Gonzaga is usually a little overrated. But SDSU looked good, they could be the best team on the West Coast, the Pac 10 is so awful.

KG215
11-17-2010, 02:43 AM
Well I wouldn't say they beat them soundly, and I think Gonzaga is usually a little overrated. But SDSU looked good, they could be the best team on the West Coast, the Pac 10 is so awful.

Didn't they lead most of (maybe entire?) 1st half? I missed the 1st half, but outside of an early Gonzaga run, SDSU more or less controlled the game. We may have different definitions of a sound victory, but by my definition that was a sound win by SDSU.

And yes, I do agree that Gonzaga is probably a little overrated.

TheGame414
11-17-2010, 04:03 PM
I don't think Gonzaga is overrated. Elias Harris had a horrible game and they still almost beat a really good team. Steven Gray is playing like one of the best guards in America early in the season and if he establishes himself as an elite perimeter player this is one of Gonzaga's best teams yet.

Jailblazers7
11-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Did Harris get hurt last night? One of my buddies said he got injured and is getting an mri today.

TennesseeFan
11-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Did Harris get hurt last night? One of my buddies said he got injured and is getting an mri today.

Tobias Harris? I doubt it.

Jailblazers7
11-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Tobias Harris? I doubt it.

I meant Elias Harris.

TennesseeFan
11-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Huh. Similar names.

I wonder if they're related :eek:

Rose
11-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Where do you live?
Murfreesboro. I go to MTSU. We gonna smoke UT later this year.:rockon:

Also, I like Louisville's new arena.

TennesseeFan
11-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Murfreesboro. I go to MTSU. We gonna smoke UT later this year.:rockon:

Also, I like Louisville's new arena.

Ah. You ever live in Memphis?

Rose
11-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Ah. You ever live in Memphis?
Nope, butiwasthisclosetogoing to college there. I only like Memphis because CDR was from the same part as Detroit where I was from, in fact we played together as kids. And EVERYONE loves UT and hates Memphis...So I was the rebel who loves Memphis. Then when Rose went there, and then the Bulls it was destiny.:lol

if I hadn't blown my knee out in baseball I would have went to Memphis. But oh well life goes on.

Jailblazers7
11-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Huh. Similar names.

I wonder if they're related :eek:

Doubtful. Elias is from Germany. :oldlol:

Posterize246
11-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Tennessee on upset watch.....again.

Down 34-33 in the 2nd half to Missouri State (who?) Missouri State! (who?). UConn also tied with Vermont in the 2nd half.

Posterize246
11-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Tennessee squeaks out the 4 point win vs. Mighty Missouri State.

HisJoeness
11-17-2010, 10:10 PM

Tobias' decision is looking dumber by the day.

Roy Munson
11-17-2010, 10:16 PM

Missouri St. isn't a bad team by any means. They're generally being picked in the top 3 in the Missouri Valley. Still, pretty sluggish start to the season for the Vols. :oldlol:

TennesseeFan
11-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Tennessee will be better as the year goes on.

btw WE DA BESS

Posterize246
11-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Missouri St. isn't a bad team by any means. They're generally being picked in the top 3 in the Missouri Valley. Still, pretty sluggish start to the season for the Vols. :oldlol:
8-10, 3-15, 8-10 in the Missouri Valley the last 3 years. Didn't bother to look past that. And yeah very sluggish for Tennessee.

LA KB24
11-18-2010, 04:29 AM
So what was the best college game so far this season? I'm thinking of replaying one right now on espn stream.

Thinking Florida-OSU?

UConnCeltics
11-18-2010, 07:21 AM
Kemba Walker was pretty disappointing, only scored 42 last night.

Posterize246
11-18-2010, 09:39 AM
http://images.sneakernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/oregon-ducks-court-designed-by-tinker-hatfield-1.jpg

there's nothing wrong with it, that's how it was designed

Jailblazers7
11-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Is there a halfcourt line? Pretty weird design.

InspiredLebowski
11-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Oregon doesn't even seem like a university anymore with all the Nike money that's flowed into that place. From what I understand a lot of alumni feel the same.

In other news, remember AJ Moye? Roley poley charismatic forward for Indiana in the early 00s, started (I think) when they made that crazy championship game run in 02. He's playing in Germany and had a stroke (http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/news/story?id=5821161) after a head to head collision in practice. He's expected to make a full recovery but scary stuff.

InspiredLebowski
11-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Missouri St. isn't a bad team by any means. They're generally being picked in the top 3 in the Missouri Valley. Still, pretty sluggish start to the season for the Vols. :oldlol:Cuonzo Martin's the coach there, so they have my full support.

Posterize246
11-18-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm watching the OH State/Florida and I know Sullinger is the celebrated freshman but I really, really like what I see from Aaron Craft.

Posterize246
11-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Larry Drew just shot a floater from 5 feet away and clanked it off the backboard so hard it didn't even touch the rim :oldlol:

KG215
11-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Damnit. For some reason I thought UNC started at 5 and not 4. Missed almost the entire 1st half. I'm guessing Hofstra is terrible but I am a little surprised we've got a 58-33 halftime lead.

KG215
11-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Larry Drew just shot a floater from 5 feet away and clanked it off the backboard so hard it didn't even touch the rim :oldlol:

I hope/think Marshall will be the starting PG at some point this season. He's a big PG at 6'4" and he has very good court awareness. He isn't real quick footed (Jenkins, Hofstra's stud guard blew by him at the end of the half) but he's tall and can hopefully learn how to effectively use his length on the defensive end.

We aren't a Sweet 16 team right now, but Harrison Barnes is showing how great he can be, albeit against an overmatched opponent.

HisJoeness
11-18-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm pretty sure Hubert Davis just uttered a very audible "What the f*ck!" during the broadcast.

KG215
11-18-2010, 07:46 PM
I heard that, but wasn't sure if it was Hubie.

Gotta say, I am much more exicted about this team's potential than last year's.

At least with Barnes and Bullock, we have some guys that can be go to scorers, and in this game McDonald is shooting the ball very well. He showed flashes of being a good three point shooter last year, but couldn't be consistent. Today he's making everythign from down town. Barnes and Bullock are already three point threats (something we had zero barely 1 of last year) and it looks like L-Mac could join them.

Jailblazers7
11-18-2010, 07:58 PM

I still can't believe how bad he is.

Jailblazers7
11-18-2010, 08:27 PM
That was some weak shit by Dante Taylor. Go up strong you *****.

And he follows my complaint with a dunk. Nice split on the pick n roll and dish by Gilbert Brown.

KG215
11-18-2010, 08:30 PM
I still can't believe how bad he is.

He's not terrible. He just shouldn't be the starting PG for a top 10-20 team. That's why I'm hoping Marshall is starting by ACC play. Drew is a fine backup option at PG.

HisJoeness
11-18-2010, 08:42 PM
Cliff Tucker is so good now that he doesn't have to worry about getting pulled.

HisJoeness
11-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Refs calling everything right now.

Posterize246
11-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Pitt should just force Maryland to the free throw line every possession.

Jailblazers7
11-18-2010, 10:09 PM
What a sloppy ass game. Pitt has been really impatient on offense and has taken some really bad shots. Combine that with the stupid fouls and turnover and it adds up to a pretty poorly played game. Woodall has been awful tonight. I do love what im seeing from Zanna and Patterson tho. They add some nice depth and offense punch to the line-up. Taylor's put back dunk was nasty too.

I can't believe how bad Maryland has been from the line.

HisJoeness
11-18-2010, 10:14 PM
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

If we hit at least half of our misses we have the lead.

Jailblazers7
11-18-2010, 10:24 PM
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

If we hit at least half of our misses we have the lead.

Its always tough to lose with all those points left at the line.

Its honestly shocking to see Pitt play with such a lack of poise. We normally work through our offense and get good shots. Its been our trademark of success to play smart and considering the experience we have I didn't expect to look this sloppy. Oh well, its still a win over a quality team and something to learn from going into tomorrow versus Texas/Illinois.

Im really excited with the emergence of Talib Zanna and Dante Taylor is making some steps in the right direction. He's improved from last year and seems to be a bit stronger in the paint.

HisJoeness
11-18-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm proud of our effort on D all in all. We just need to work on our FT's and find a PF who can/willing to rebound.

Cliff Tucker was arguably the best player on the floor.

Jailblazers7
11-18-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm proud of our effort on D all in all. We just need to work on our FT's and find a PF who can/willing to rebound.

Cliff Tucker was arguably the best player on the floor.

Yeah he looked really good. We were hurt by foul trouble tonight but it gave guys like Patterson some valuable experience.

Jailblazers7
11-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Gotta love a good shootout. This Illinois/Texas game is awesome.

IlliniFan
11-18-2010, 11:58 PM
Jesus Christ we can't rebound anything. It's gona be a blow out if we continue this shit.

ILLsmak
11-19-2010, 12:18 AM
Jesus Christ we can't rebound anything. It's gona be a blow out if we continue this shit.

It's more than just that... we're playing like crap overall. But now we have another chance. I was about to turn it off, but that look from BP (Even though it was an open jumper) to Richardson made me think we might come back.

Also getting some Bs calls...

-Smak

KG215
11-19-2010, 12:55 AM
Although Illinois didn't necessarliy look great this game, you can see they've got all the pieces to be a very good team.

Richmond has looked good and once he comes along Illinois is going to be very, very good. For whatever reason I though Richmond was more perimeter oriented and a SF. He didn't do much as far as displayhing perimeter skills. I haven't watched the whole game closely, but I can't recall him hitting a mid-range jumper or beating his man off the bounce and scoring at the rim. He's done a very nice job though around the rim and playing with his back to the basket.

Jailblazers7
11-19-2010, 01:04 AM
Wow, big shot. I'm kind of rooting for Texas because I like that match-up better for Pitt but a Pitt/Illinios showdown would be a fun early season match-up. Either way, it will be a tough game tomorrow night.

KG215
11-19-2010, 01:05 AM
I take that back.

Richmond just beat his man off the bounce and made the game tying shot. Dude's a stud.

Going to overtime.

IlliniFan
11-19-2010, 01:11 AM
wow guys really? Gona lose it in the first minute of overtime?

KG215
11-19-2010, 01:17 AM
Where does Illinois find these big skinny white dues that can hit the three ball?

IlliniFan
11-19-2010, 01:25 AM
Could have had this game in the second half, but we couldn't extend the lead. This game was there to be had for Illinois. Oh well.

ILLsmak
11-19-2010, 04:48 AM
Could have had this game in the second half, but we couldn't extend the lead. This game was there to be had for Illinois. Oh well.

We played horrible. We didn't deserve to win that game. If there was ever a game where both teams deserved a loss, it was that one.

I don't understand why our guys can hit outrageous shots in the beginning of the game (When they shouldn't be taking them) but in the clutch they aren't even close or they get stripped and don't even get a shot off.

That was a terrible game. We would have been blown out if Texas didn't suck so much at FTs. I can't believe we played like that. I can't believe it. It was just like last year except we have more talent. SHIT.

-Smak

Jackass18
11-19-2010, 05:22 AM
Maryland is so damn inconsistent from the FT line. 2 games where they've done good (33-41 and 25-33) and 2 games where they they've done horrible (5-18 and 14-30). It's nice that they shot that poorly and yet nearly knocked off a top 5 team, though.

Jailblazers7
11-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Looking forward to Pitt/Texas tonight. They better come out more disciplined than last night or we will be looking at our first loss.

Posterize246
11-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Finally got around to finishing up that OH State/Florida game. David Lighty played flawless. Boynton has all the talent in the world but with a bad feel for the game. Good coaching could make him a really good player, is Donovan the man for it? Erving Walker shares Boynton's feel for the game but without the talent.

One area Ohio State might struggle is pressure on their ballhandling. Diebler and Buford can't handle it and Craft/Lighty had to take control multiple times against the press.

ILLsmak
11-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Looking forward to Pitt/Texas tonight. They better come out more disciplined than last night or we will be looking at our first loss.

I bet Pitt rolls Texas. Texas is pretty good, but I wasn't impressed. Plus they were up til like 1am playing a game into OT.

But we'll see.

-Smak

KG215
11-19-2010, 03:14 PM
We played horrible. We didn't deserve to win that game. If there was ever a game where both teams deserved a loss, it was that one.

I don't understand why our guys can hit outrageous shots in the beginning of the game (When they shouldn't be taking them) but in the clutch they aren't even close or they get stripped and don't even get a shot off.

That was a terrible game. We would have been blown out if Texas didn't suck so much at FTs. I can't believe we played like that. I can't believe it. It was just like last year except we have more talent. SHIT.

-Smak

I know you're an Illinois fan and I know fans of a team watch said team through much different eyes than a impartial fan. They are either very and overly critical of their team's performance, or they are completely blinded by their delusional bias, they always think their team is great, see TennesseeFan.

Now, that was the first time I've watched Illinois play this and I only watched them play a few times last year. I don't think they looked nearly as bad as you're making it seem. I mean they didn't look like world beaters or anything, but for an early season game against another team with a lot of talent, I felt they played pretty well.

ILLsmak
11-19-2010, 04:52 PM
I know you're an Illinois fan and I know fans of a team watch said team through much different eyes than a impartial fan. They are either very and overly critical of their team's performance, or they are completely blinded by their delusional bias, they always think their team is great, see TennesseeFan.

Now, that was the first time I've watched Illinois play this and I only watched them play a few times last year. I don't think they looked nearly as bad as you're making it seem. I mean they didn't look like world beaters or anything, but for an early season game against another team with a lot of talent, I felt they played pretty well.

Heh...

Well, it's like this man. There are stats that you can look at, you can watch the ball go in the hoop and say "Nice shot", but really there is a certain way that people accept as 'playing the right way.'

This is what Bruce teaches people. When you see Bruce on the sidelines going MOVE THE BALL every play, that's telling.

They didn't look as bad as last year because they were making tough shots. They weren't getting any better shots than last year, though.

No doubt, we played some cupcakes before, but we were moving the ball and all of the guys were getting involved.

Last night, it was back to McCamey ball. He's our best scorer, but he can't just go up and call for a pick and shoot it. He's got the idea backwards. If he wants to get his, he should get his at the end of the game (like all great PGs do) and defer in the beginning.

When the PG is scoring the most points, that's usually bad for your team unless your team is a bunch of role playing spot up shooters. And worse, down the stretch when we needed a basket McCamey had gone cold.

I don't mind McCamey taking a bad shot, but what I Want him to do is GIVE UP THE BALL. If he gives up the ball, runs offense then takes a bad shot that's okay. But once he starts going into score first PG mode, everyone else loses their rhythm because not all of our guys can score at will like he can.

Seriously, I can tell by the way he's playing at times when he has no thought of passing the ball, and that's stupid basketball. Or sometimes he'll look for a player and if they ball deny the player he'll be like "Okay, I'm shooting it." Then we got all of these guys who let people ball deny them and hide from the ball because they are scared to shoot.

If you don't think the Illini played terribly, I Don't know what to say. You can say it's a testament to our amazing talent that we were able to go into OT without running any offense. We had 10 assists in an OT game!

I am very angry at our performance, but I don't think I'm overly critical. I'm just not like other people who are going to chalk it up to a 'bad game' or 'early season' because we were playing the wrong way, period.

-Smak

KG215
11-19-2010, 05:12 PM
I understand. I have no other Illinois games from this year to comapre this one to. The offense did look stale and there were times when Illinois had no flow offensively, bu it's an early season game. They showed they can score and make tough shots and hung in with a very talented Texas team. I don't know how good Texas will be in February and March, but they do have a lot of talent.

Ten assists in an OT game is bad. No denying that. You can also look at like this: even though you didn't have any flow offensively, couldn't make free throws, and looked sloppy, you were still in the game with a chance to win it.

I'm just saying, from an outsider's view who has zero rooting interest in Illinois and Texas, it didn't appear to me that Illinois played as badly as you're making it seem. Now, if I went back and watched the game, I'm sure I could find plenty wrong.

ILLsmak
11-19-2010, 06:22 PM
I understand. I have no other Illinois games from this year to comapre this one to. The offense did look stale and there were times when Illinois had no flow offensively, bu it's an early season game. They showed they can score and make tough shots and hung in with a very talented Texas team. I don't know how good Texas will be in February and March, but they do have a lot of talent.

Ten assists in an OT game is bad. No denying that. You can also look at like this: even though you didn't have any flow offensively, couldn't make free throws, and looked sloppy, you were still in the game with a chance to win it.

I'm just saying, from an outsider's view who has zero rooting interest in Illinois and Texas, it didn't appear to me that Illinois played as badly as you're making it seem. Now, if I went back and watched the game, I'm sure I could find plenty wrong.

Compare it to how we're playing in the game today. They are running O really well vs Maryland.

-Smak

KG215
11-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Compare it to how we're playing in the game today. They are running O really well vs Maryland.

-Smak

Yeah, I had to miss the first half. I see they have a four point lead at the half, though. I won't be able watch the whole second half, but I'll watch what I can.

InspiredLebowski
11-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Bruce Pearl's suspended the first 8 conference games by the SEC. Just fire the guy already.

Jackass18
11-19-2010, 07:56 PM
****, I forgot this game came on at 5.

Damn, the 3's aren't falling...

Jailblazers7
11-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Tristan Thompson is long as shit. I wish Woodall would just be banished to the bench. He has no idea how to run the offense.

Other than a handful of missed lay-ups and some trouble securing rebounds, this hasn't been a bad first half. We're doing a good job of controlling tempo and executing the offense. Wanamaker just needs to finish his drives and someone should tel McGee to never shoot the ball ever again.

ukfan22
11-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Harrison Barnes really living up to that first team All America billing

:bowdown:

noob cake
11-20-2010, 12:59 AM

http://i.imgur.com/qi4uW.png

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1011/cbb.best.freshman.all.time/content.1.html

First Team All-American + Preseason NPOY Candidate

Jailblazers7
11-20-2010, 01:24 AM

Kanter looks great out there too.

ukfan22
11-20-2010, 01:54 AM
Kanter looks great out there too.

Soon, he will. Jones and Knight look real nice though.

TennesseeFan
11-20-2010, 02:15 AM
Tobias Harris>Harrison Barnes

irondarts
11-20-2010, 02:19 AM
WTF @ Harrison Barnes going 0-12, damn. Is this going to be another really disappointing year for the Tar Heels?

TennesseeFan
11-20-2010, 02:21 AM
Tennessee goes 8-0 without BP

ILLsmak
11-20-2010, 02:54 AM
Wow, Texas was closer than I thought. I thought Pitt would own the boards. I didn't watch though...

-Smak

KG215
11-20-2010, 02:58 AM

I'm a UNC fan, so my view on this is going to be different and biased. I understand that.

And I didn't get to watch the game tonight, and he damn DVR apparently didn't record it, because when I got home it wasn't saved to my DVR. I don't know if he had an 0-12 night where he was forcing a lot of shots, or if it was an 0-12 night where he had a lot of good looks just not fall.

What I'm getting at, though, is this. Harrison didn't ask to receive all of this preseason hype. He's an 18 year old kid with a lot of talent who was given this attention unwillingly. He had a crap game tonight. But is he supposed to have a great game every night out? I don't know if I can remember a true freshman coming into a season with this much pressure and expectations this high. He is at one of the most tradition rich schools in the nation coming off a terrible season, and people are/were expecting him to be the savior, despite this team still having many flaws. As was the case last year, our preseason top 10 ranking was way too lofty. I ranked us in the 15-20 range in my preseason poll and that feels about right.

Sorry for the rant. It's just going to get old seeing everyone call out Harrison all year when he has a bad game because he isn't living up to the hype others gave him.

We lost tonight, but don't forget Minnesota is a borderline top 25 team, and are mostly ignored due to the great depth in the Big 10 tonight. Our best player went 0-12 and we lost by 5 to a quality opponent. It sucks but I don't expect too many 0-12 nights from Barnes.

KG215
11-20-2010, 02:59 AM
WTF @ Harrison Barnes going 0-12, damn. Is this going to be another really disappointing year for the Tar Heels?

I think most Tar Heel and knowledgeable hoops fans would have told you a preseason top 10 ranking was too high.

They'll be better this year, but they still aren't an Elite 8/Final Four contender.

Jailblazers7
11-20-2010, 03:02 AM
Wow, Texas was closer than I thought. I thought Pitt would own the boards. I didn't watch though...

-Smak

It was basically one of Pitt's trademark wins. Grind it out, work the ball on offense, control the pace, etc. Jordan Hamilton is the guy that really kept Texas in the game and J'Covan Brown really impressed me. Tristan Thompson is long as hell and disrupted/blocked a bunch of shots but I think Texas had trouble dealing with our physicality because their front line is pretty thin. Regardless, we ground out a win versus a good team dispite missing a bunch of easy shots and having some trouble securing defensive rebounds. I'm happy with what the team has showed so far this early in the season.

irondarts
11-20-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm a UNC fan, so my view on this is going to be different and biased. I understand that.

And I didn't get to watch the game tonight, and he damn DVR apparently didn't record it, because when I got home it wasn't saved to my DVR. I don't know if he had an 0-12 night where he was forcing a lot of shots, or if it was an 0-12 night where he had a lot of good looks just not fall.

What I'm getting at, though, is this. Harrison didn't ask to receive all of this preseason hype. He's an 18 year old kid with a lot of talent who was given this attention unwillingly. He had a crap game tonight. But is he supposed to have a great game every night out? I don't know if I can remember a true freshman coming into a season with this much pressure and expectations this high. He is at one of the most tradition rich schools in the nation coming off a terrible season, and people are/were expecting him to be the savior, despite this team still having many flaws. As was the case last year, our preseason top 10 ranking was way too lofty. I ranked us in the 15-20 range in my preseason poll and that feels about right.

Sorry for the rant. It's just going to get old seeing everyone call out Harrison all year when he has a bad game because he isn't living up to the hype others gave him.

We lost tonight, but don't forget Minnesota is a borderline top 25 team, and are mostly ignored due to the great depth in the Big 10 tonight. Our best player went 0-12 and we lost by 5 to a quality opponent. It sucks but I don't expect too many 0-12 nights from Barnes.
I pretty much agree with everything you said here. While the stat line surprised me i'm sure he will bounce back just fine.

Posterize246
11-21-2010, 12:41 AM
Missouri plays so fast, they forced North Florida into 34 turnovers. Of course that speed also led them to giving up 18 of their own. 52 turnovers in one game.

KG215
11-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Some potential good games tonight.

Duke plays Marquette. May not be a good game but it's still solid.

Kansas State plays Gonzaga tonight as well. Looking forward to that one.

Kentucky is putting it on Oklahoma right now, which isn't really a surprise. I can't imagine Oklahoma being very good this year, especially this early in the season.

Kemba Walker went off for 29 second half points earlier against Wichita State to get UConn to the second round at Maui.

UConnCeltics
11-22-2010, 08:07 PM
UConn would be pretty good if they had anybody that can score besides Walker. Roscoe Smith needs to play 30 minutes a game, as he is the only other respectable scoring threat. Lamb, Walker, Smith, and Napier are the only players who look to score. Giffey and Olander already know who they are passing it to before the even get the ball. Chuck just sucks. For a seven footer you'd think he would get a block or dunk every so often. But no, he just sucks that bad.

KG215
11-22-2010, 08:39 PM
It's a bit disconcerting that I haven't seen Harrison Barnes play with even 1/4th the passion and aggressiveness Terrence Jones is playing with in this game.

I know Barnes didn't come out of high school with the reputation as a tough inner-city kid, but I still thought he was competitive enough to where he would attempt to go into take over mode down the stretch in close games, and be much more aggressive than he's been so far this year.

ukfan22
11-22-2010, 08:50 PM
T Jones 29 and 13:bowdown:

We are in trouble if Liggins is hurt. We can't afford any injuries.

Posterize246
11-23-2010, 06:11 PM
La Salle proving A-10 > Big Easy

Jailblazers7
11-23-2010, 07:29 PM
La Salle proving A-10 > Big Easy

Damn, I thought Providence was gonna compete for Big East title this year.

UConnCeltics
11-23-2010, 10:25 PM
La Salle proving A-10 > Big EasyAnd then #10 Big East team beats Big Ten's #1. Oops.

Jailblazers7
11-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Washington needs to play some defense. And I would have lost my mind if Isaiah Thommas would have converted that dunk.

DeuceWallaces
11-23-2010, 11:06 PM
Dominatrix

HisJoeness
11-23-2010, 11:06 PM
Washington needs to play some defense. And I would have lost my mind if Isaiah Thommas would have converted that dunk.

Washington looks as terrible as Romar's shirt.

Jailblazers7
11-23-2010, 11:15 PM
This is like a pick up game at the park. No set offenses, blocks, and dunks.

HisJoeness
11-24-2010, 12:03 AM
F*ck this Duke game, I'm not about to watch how good this team is going to be.

When did the Plumlees become good, WTF?

Jailblazers7
11-24-2010, 12:29 AM
Kemba Walker has become the player I feared he would become. He's been a great defender since day 1 but know he's developed his offensive game to match it. Im not looking forward to playing him this year.

Posterize246
11-24-2010, 01:07 AM
You've got pretty good guard depth when Seth Curry isn't a starter. Andre Dawkins has played well this year too. Both of them are getting 11 ppg off the bench.

HisJoeness
11-24-2010, 01:22 AM
You've got pretty good guard depth when Seth Curry isn't a starter. Andre Dawkins has played well this year too. Both of them are getting 11 ppg off the bench.

They're gonna run all types of roughshod over the ACC, just like '99.

:banghead:

irondarts
11-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Kemba!

Posterize246
11-24-2010, 02:17 PM
I'm watching Michigan state/UConn right now. I'm just 8 minutes into it but State is making some huge mental mistakes. How many times are they going to let Oriahki rebound his own miss from outside the paint?