PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Alonzo Mourning? - HoF?

Geezer
11-05-2010, 02:08 AM
I recently got done reading Bill Simmons' "Book of Basketball" and was disappointed to see Mourning wasn't included in his "top 96 players of all time" section of the book. He was always my favorite player and it frustrates me to no end that he got his kidney disease in his prime; I hate playing the "what if" game, but he could have had about 5 extra seasons of being a dominant center :cry:

What are your thoughts on Zo as a player in general, and do you think he has a shot at the Hall of Fame?

Xiao Yao You
11-05-2010, 02:17 AM
He should be in. One of the great defensive centers ever very good offensively as well.

New York Knicks
11-05-2010, 02:19 AM
Too many injuries. Not enough success. Production not great enough to make up for the lack of success. No HOF.

White Chocolate
11-05-2010, 02:25 AM
Yes. Put up HOF calibur stats in each of his first 8 seasons. In his first 8 seasons, averaged 21/10 with over 3 BPG on over 52% from the field. Won 2 DPOY's(1999 and 2000), 1x All-NBA 1st team(1999), 1x All-NBA 2nd team(2000), and 2x All-Defensive 1st team(1999 and 2000). Extremely underrated and should have been an All-Defensive nominee just about every season from '93-'00.

White Chocolate
11-05-2010, 02:27 AM
Too many injuries. Not enough success. Production not great enough to make up for the lack of success. No HOF.

Not surprising coming from a Knicks fan. 8 consecutive seasons of 20/10 or near it and a first 8 season average of 21/10 with 3 BPG and over 50% shooting sounds like HOF calibur to me.

kentatm
11-05-2010, 02:32 AM
I firmly believe that the Mavs would have beaten the Heat if they did not have Zo completely shutting down the Mavs on offense whenever he came into the game.

He is one of the best defensive centers I ever got to see live. His solid scoring abilities made him just deadly to deal with in his prime.

He did act like a HUGE punk ass when he was in Jersey though. They stuck with him through his disease and he cried his way off the team and then became an even bigger punk for refusing to report to Toronto.

There is no denying how great he was though. Dude was a baller.

ronniec
11-05-2010, 09:59 AM
He should be in

mashbelly
11-05-2010, 10:02 AM
everyone gets in nowadays so yes he's in

Glide2keva
11-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Since it is the BASKETBALL hall of fame and not just the NBA hall of fame, I say very yes. He was great at georgetown, was very good with hall of fame defense and great offensive numbers. He was under sized for his position, but he played bigger.

He's one of the best shit blockers in the games history. He was great for three teams, the hornets, nets, and heat. He deserves the nod and I don't even like the guy.

Askmeificare
11-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Yes. Put up HOF calibur stats in each of his first 8 seasons. In his first 8 seasons, averaged 21/10 with over 3 BPG on over 52% from the field. Won 2 DPOY's(1999 and 2000), 1x All-NBA 1st team(1999), 1x All-NBA 2nd team(2000), and 2x All-Defensive 1st team(1999 and 2000). Extremely underrated and should have been an All-Defensive nominee just about every season from '93-'00.

I'll add that He helped lead the US to gold on the Olympic games of 2000 + Winner of J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award given by the NBA

Rake2204
11-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Since it is the BASKETBALL hall of fame and not just the NBA hall of fame, I say very yes. He was great at georgetown, was very good with hall of fame defense and great offensive numbers. He was under sized for his position, but he played bigger.

He's one of the best shit blockers in the games history. He was great for three teams, the hornets, nets, and heat. He deserves the nod and I don't even like the guy.
Not to split hairs, but I believe he played just 12 games for the New Jersey Nets (averaging 8ppg). It's just a small detail because I agree with everything you said.

Sometimes we have to give a second thought on some players because our last memory of them is often one of old age, limited athleticism, and depleted ability. In his prime (which was lengthy, even with the health issues), Alonzo was great.

From a personal standpoint, he experienced a weird transition with me. In Charlotte, I thought he was great. The dynamic LJ/Zo duo was exciting. When he was traded to Miami, I was indifferent about Zo. However, when he returned to Miami in the twilight of his career, I developed a sudden distaste for him. It might have been due to the Heat's then rivalry with the Detroit Pistons. Or perhaps I just didn't care for all his flexing and posturing and whatnot. Regardless, he had a great career and he'd get into the Hall if it were my choice.

Also, it was very fun to watch the spectacular slam dunks various players served on Zo over the years but it was undeniable that he always rose to the challenge and just as frequently turned those would-be highlights into denials. Everytime someone crammed on him my initial feeling was "Ohhhhh! He just got slammed on!" but almost immediately I'd have to acknowledge "Well, it takes guts to challenge that play, and he'll block a lot of those too." I respected that.

VIP2000
11-05-2010, 11:10 AM
GOAT post-dunk/post-block flexer.

DPittman
11-05-2010, 12:50 PM

got it

Nash-tastic
11-05-2010, 02:21 PM
I think he should
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii153/Avalisi/12211.jpg

Geezer
11-07-2010, 10:15 PM

shit blocker :bowdown:

:D

Myth
11-07-2010, 10:25 PM
I think he should
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii153/Avalisi/12211.jpg

I love the :wtf: faces behind him.

Round Mound
11-07-2010, 10:37 PM
I recently got done reading Bill Simmons' "Book of Basketball" and was disappointed to see Mourning wasn't included in his "top 96 players of all time" section of the book. He was always my favorite player and it frustrates me to no end that he got his kidney disease in his prime; I hate playing the "what if" game, but he could have had about 5 extra seasons of being a dominant center :cry:

What are your thoughts on Zo as a player in general, and do you think he has a shot at the Hall of Fame?

That book is stupid it rates careers not impact.

Mourning healthy prime Mourning right now would be almost in the level of Howard.

Mourning deserves HOF.

He has the numbers and impact

He gets over shadowed a bit because Shaq came in the same year.

Geezer
11-09-2010, 09:58 PM

Mourning healthy prime Mourning right now would be almost in the level of Howard.

Mourning deserves HOF.

I loved the book actually, it doesn't take itself too seriously and is a good read, although his Boston homerism shows through a lot :oldlol:

And yes I agree, Zo did some dumb shit in terms of turning off fans (whining his way out of Jersey/Toronto, propensity for flexing after dunks etc.) but he is still one of the fiercest competitors and best defensive big men in modern NBA history :rockon:

GOheAT
11-09-2010, 10:01 PM
If 'Zo doesn't get in the HoF, the NBA is doing a disservice to greatness.

Jasper
11-09-2010, 10:18 PM
If there ever was a slogan to define ZO it would be "man up"

He did it in life and he did it on the court.
Coming out of college and playing for Charlotte , his game was kind of punk ass... and his skills needed work. He also needed the weight room to go against the bigs.

MJ mentally owned him thru some of his youthful years and Jordan really got under his skin.
And that also helped ZO... Because it changed him to have a warrior mentality , which we all saw in his prime years.

If the HOF bases it on his colege career as well as his pro career he has a chance.
Otherwise his prize is life and a championship ring. :rockon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alonzo_Mourning
Most notable was his senior year 25 ppg 15 boards 12 blocks. :eek:

Big#50
11-09-2010, 10:43 PM
He really didn't step up in the playoffs.

Geezer
11-09-2010, 11:08 PM
He really didn't step up in the playoffs.

:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AnTgjW46rM

nbacardDOTnet
11-10-2010, 12:02 AM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/Alonzo%20Mourning/VS/d052874a.gif

Mourning deserves HOF.

can't be compared with skilless dh12.(If dh12 is improved more and more)

dh12 's Defense is great but he has had no skillz yet.

rookie ZO could 20-10 easily.(and there were also Larry Johnson as you know)

Heat ZO had P.J. Brown.

but his stat(result) was still great.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188782

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/Whos%20Who/Alonzo%20Mourning/MagicJohnsononrookieAlonzoMourning.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/Whos%20Who/Alonzo%20Mourning/zotsc.jpg

D.J.
11-10-2010, 02:40 AM
Mourning was an elite center every year for almost a decade. He was arguably the best defensive center not named Hakeem. 8-9 years of elite play is certainly long enough to be in the HOF. Those 8-9 years was basically his entire prime.

Alonzo Magic
11-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Thoughts on Alonzo Mourning? - HoF?

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: What type of stupid question is that?

BFRESH44
11-10-2010, 11:04 AM
He won't get in first ballot. But he will get in there. No question. In addition to his credentials on the court, what will push him over the top is his philanthropic efforts. Ditto for Mutumbo.

Big#50
11-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Mourning was an elite center every year for almost a decade. He was arguably the best defensive center not named Hakeem. 8-9 years of elite play is certainly long enough to be in the HOF. Those 8-9 years was basically his entire prime.
No. DRO B>Hakeem and Zo on defense.

Geezer
11-10-2010, 10:49 PM
No. DRO B>Hakeem and Zo on defense.

:roll: Are you high?

L.Kizzle
08-05-2014, 06:38 PM
Bump

avonbarksdale
08-05-2014, 07:03 PM
is the bill simmons book good?

Timmy D for MVP
08-05-2014, 07:26 PM
is the bill simmons book good?

Do you like Bill Simmons' writing?

senelcoolidge
08-05-2014, 11:19 PM

Pretty much true. Even really good player...Really good...not great players are getting in on the regular now. It's like they have to put someone in..I say if years go by with no legitimate HoF'ers than so be it..no one gets in. But again this includes international and college basketball. Mourning was a really good player, very emotional player. He had some really good years in his career. But it's hard for me to think of him as a legit HoF. The Hall is for the best of the best.

L.Kizzle
08-06-2014, 12:18 AM
Pretty much true. Even really good player...Really good...not great players are getting in on the regular now. It's like they have to put someone in..I say if years go by with no legitimate HoF'ers than so be it..no one gets in. But again this includes international and college basketball. Mourning was a really good player, very emotional player. He had some really good years in his career. But it's hard for me to think of him as a legit HoF. The Hall is for the best of the best.
In that case we'll just have about 20 Hall of Famers.

George Mikan
Bob Cousy
Bob Pettit
Bill Russell
Elgin Baylor
Wilt Chamberlain
Oscar Robertson
Jerry West
John Havlicek
Willis Redd
Rick Barry
Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Julius Erving
Moses Malone
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
Isiah Thomas
Michael Jordan
Hakeem Olajuwon
Charles Barkley
John Stockton
Karl Malone
David Robinson

There is your hall of fame. 23 players.

houston
08-06-2014, 02:29 AM
very overrated player but he in the hall

Reggie43
08-06-2014, 02:50 AM
Great player and deserves to be in the hall. Had very good teams in his career but constantly lost in the 90s to the Bulls and the Knicks.

305Baller
08-06-2014, 03:39 AM
Dominant center. Struggled offensively at times. Struggled against Patrick Ewing but is easily the 2nd best center behind Shaq in the late 90s before having the kidney issue.

Peep the avatar.

KOBE143
08-06-2014, 03:49 AM
He won't get in first ballot. But he will get in there. No question. In addition to his credentials on the court, what will push him over the top is his philanthropic efforts. Ditto for Mutumbo.
Why the GOAT Heat player wont get in the first ballot? It doesnt make sense..